My Only Hope

Guest lollypop

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing chapter. Charlie and Ruby's relationship is so great in this fic, you have written there love for each other perfect as mother/daughter.

I HATE the Bledcoe's. No F-ing way can they take Ruby from Charlie! They don't have the right to say that to Charlie!

Poor Ruby, hearing it all

Poor Charlie, having to fight them now as well as care for Ruby.

Really well written. Loved it

More soon please :)

Okay, I just want to say a huge thank you to everyone who has left comments. I really appreciate it and it's what motivates me to keep going with this story. Thank you so much. Hope you enjoy the new chapter.

Chapter 8

Sitting in the hospital canteen, watching Morag read through the documentation and studying every detail, Charlie felt uneasy. She didn't like the silence that had fallen over them for the last twenty minutes. It worried her that her step mother was being so quiet. What was she thinking? Was it good was it bad? Playing with the watch around her wrist she checked the time. Four-thirty. Ruby would be finished chemo by five. If Morag was to be able to tell her anything it would have to be now.

"Well? What do you think?", Charlie finally plucked up the courage to ask.

"I think you've got a fight on your hands", Morag said as she removed her glasses and looked up at her step daughter. "The Bledcoe's are obviously serious about custody. It's unlikely they'll back down, regardless of what is in Ruby's best interest.

Charlie sat back in her chair and ran her fingers through her hair. That was not the answer she was hoping for. She wanted Morag to tell her that the Bledcoe's didn't stand a chance. That they couldn't take Ruby away from her. Now she was facing into a reality that seemed bleak. It was bad enough that she was facing the possibility of losing her daughter to cancer. But now she could lose her to rapists parents. Thinking about the two outcomes, Charlie felt the hot tears line her cheeks as they fell. If either were to happen, she was facing a life without Ruby.

"I can't lose her Morag. Not to the Bledcoes, not to the cancer, not at all", she said as she wiped away a tear from her eye.

Morag looked sympathetically at Charlie. From the moment she found out that Ruby was ill, she had watched on in awe as her step daughter pushed everything else aside and dedicated her life solely to looking after Ruby. She knew how much Charlie cared for her, loved her. The bond that Charlie and Ruby shared was undeniable. No words could describe it. But it was plain to see for anyone who spent time with the two Bucktons. And that was exactly why Morag intended to fight tooth and nail to keep them together. She wouldn't accept any other outcome.

"Charlie now you listen to me. I will do everything in my power to make sure that doesn't happen. But it's going to take time and I need you to be strong. Ruby's going to need you to lean on now more than ever. I'm sure this is hurting her just as much as it is hurting you", Morag said.

Staring up from the table, Charlie saw the determind look on her step mothers face. She was right. Charlie was being defeatist. The fight had only just begun and already she could feel the Bledcoes breaking her down piece by piece. But she couldn't allow that. Not if she wanted hold on to her daughter. She had to pull herself up again if she were to stand a chance. She didn't just need to be strong for herself. She needed to be strong for Ruby. Charlie was well aware of the fact that Ruby would be undergoing treatment and would not be physically or emotionally strong enough to handle anything on her on.

It was time for Charlie to step up and be the mother she always vowed she would be to Ruby. The mother she deserved. This time she was going to be more than just a support system or a source of comfort. She was going to prove once and for all that she was meant to be Ruby's mother and no one was going to tell her otherwise. She was going to fight the Bledcoe's all the way and she was going to fight to save Ruby's life. There was no way she was going to stand for anyone or anything taking Ruby away from her.

"Thanks Morag", Charlie said as she wiped away the remainder of her tears. Looking at her watch again she realised that chemo was almost over. "I better get back to Ruby. Are you staying tonight?", she asked her step mother as they both stood up from the table.

"No, I'm heading back to the city now. I need to inform Ross of what's going on and I want to get a head start on proceedings. Best to be ahead of the game than laggin behind", Morag said with her usual half smile. "Give Ruby my love", she finished as the two women embraced.

"I will, and thank you again", Charlie replied.

Morag picked up her briefcase and car keys and waved at her step daughter as she exited the canteen. Charlie ran her fingers through her hair, this time pulling it back and tying it into a ponytail. Walking out of the canteen and down the corridor she thought about everything she and Morag had discussed in their hour long briefing. It was like information overload. Between doctors and lawyers, Charlie's brain was fried. All she wanted to do was cuddle up next to her daughter and forget about everything. Whether Ruby realised it or not, whenever Charlie held her in her arms, nothing else mattered. The comfort Ruby felt being held by Charlie, was the same comfort Charlie felt holding Ruby.

As she arrived on the ward where Ruby was underging chemo, Charlie could hear a heated argument blaring from outside her daughter's room. Picking up her pace she burst through the door and to her shock, she found the Bledcoe's standing at the end of Ruby's bed trying to calm the young girl down. Quickly glancing up at her daughter, Charlie could see Ruby was hysterical and extremely weak.

"What the hell are you doing here? Get out!", Charlie shouted at the Bledcoe's as they turned around surprised to see her standing there.

"We're visiting our granddaughter", the man shouted back as if his presence was some sort of comfort to Ruby.

"You have no right to be here. Ruby doesn't want you here now leave", Charlie retaliated.

"Charlie", Ruby called out as she pinched her nose as blood flowed freely.

The elderly woman walked around the side of the bed and walked and attempted to tend to Ruby. But as she tried to reach out, Ruby pushed her away. Rejecting her.

"I want my mum", Ruby said as she reached out for Charlie.

Hearing Ruby call her mum, Charlie's heart skipped a beat. It was the first time Ruby had ever verbally acknowledged her as her mother. It was like the final piece of their relationship had fallen into place. Walking over to the side of the bed, she stepped in front of the elderly woman and picked up one of the gauze sponges the nurses had left there. Gently placing it under Ruby's nose, she leaned her daughters head against her chest and rubbed Ruby's temple. Knowing full well that Ruby would be suffering from a terrible headache and dizziness.

"I think you should leave", Charlie said as she looked at the couple with an icy glare.

Looking at the state their granddaughter was in, the Bledcoe's reluctantly made their way out of the hospital room. Charlie's gaze remained fixed on the door until they left and once out of sight, she returned her focus to Ruby. Removing the gauze, she checked to see if the blood flow had slowed down, and while it had, it still continued to bleed. Charlie moved closer to Ruby, sitting herself on the age of the bed. Just then a nurse walked in and looked alarmed by the sight of Ruby. Charlie briefly explained what had happened and then left the room to allow the nurse to check Ruby over and remove the drug line from her chest catheter.

Within a matter of minutes, the nurse walked out to inform Charlie that she could take Ruby home. As she stepped into the room, she could see her daughter shakily getting to her feet. Rushing over, Charlie slipped her arm around Ruby's waist.

"Hey, take it easy", she said as her daughter tried to gather her bearings.

"Charlie I don't wanna go home. Not yet", Ruby said as she looked up at her mother.

"Well, where do you want to go?", Charlie asked, not liking the idea of bring Ruby anywhere but home.

"Take me to the beach? Please? I need to clear my head", Ruby replied with the pleading look and puppy dog eyes Charlie just couldn't say no to.

"Okay, lets go", Charlie answered as she kissed her daughter on the side of the head.

When they arrived at the beach, Charlie and Ruby walked halfway down the sand near the water and then sat down. Charlie placed a blanket around them to block out the evening breeze that was blowing and Ruby snuggled into her mother's embrace as they looked out at the last of the days surfers make the most of the waves that were still rolling in. They'd only been there five minutes but already Ruby could feel the healing effects of spending time at the beach. It had become her getaway over the last few months. The place she would go to escape reality and just feel normal for a little while. It was exactly what she needed and she wanted Charlie to feel it too.

"Charlie, are you happy with how your life turned out?", Ruby asked, her gaze still focused out at sea.

"What? why do you ask?", Charlie replied looking down at her daughter.

"It's just, Charlz your thirty years old. You've got your whole life ahead of you. Your the Sergeant of a police station, guys fall over themselves to be with you...", Ruby was cut off by Charlie.

"But all of that comes second to being a mum to you. Rubes, I spent so many years living in regret because I couldn't be a mother to and I had to live with that every day. Now that I have the chance, I'm not going to waste it. I don't want anymore regrets. Rubes I want to be a mum to you more than anything else. It's the most important thing in the world to me and I'm not going to let anything ruin that. I love you", she finished.

"Charlz, if I die...",

"Rubes don't say that, you're not going to die", Charlie said tightening her grip on her daughter.

"IF I die", this time Ruby emphasised the if, "I don't want you to shut down and cut yourself off from everyone. I want you to be happy. I want you to move on and continue to succeed in your career. I want you to meet new people and do new things. I want you to make the most of life. Promise me you'll do that? Please...promise me?", she said in a high pitched tone.

Charlie looked down at Ruby and saw the teen gazing back at her with a heartfelt look of sheer honesty and openess. Charlie tried desperatly to stop any of her tear from falling, turning away momentarily to she could gather her focus again. And then she the strength within her to answer Ruby.

"I promise", she said.

With that, she pulled Ruby into full embrace so that her daughter would not see the pain and hurt in the tears she shed. In that moment two things were clear. The first, was that Charlie was not ready to embrace the possibility of death in the same way Ruby had. The second, was that the love that both women had for each other, proved they were meant to be mother and daughter.

Great chapter

Yah Morag! I love her! :P I know she should do anything to help Charlie keep her daughter and not lose her to Grants parents!

Glad Ruby pushed the Bledcoes away. Go away! <_< Can you see Charlie and Ruby doesn't want to know you at all??

Aww loved how Ruby wanted her mother :) The ending so beautiful and touching

More soon please x

Great Chapter!

So well written!

:angry: I can't believe the Bledcoe's! P*ss off! I hate them, they can't take Ruby away from Charlie.

:wub: Ruby called Charlie 'mum' for the first time, how sweet!

Yay Morag! If anyone can get rid of the Bledcoe's, its Morag!!

More son please. I LOVE this fic!

Chapter 9

Inside her ususal hospital room, Ruby sat upright listening to her mother nervously ramble on about calling her if she needed anything and how Leah would be picking her up after her session. It was the day of the custody proceedings and the tension within the room was building with each passing moment. Charlie was doing her best to remain calm for her daughter. The last thing she wanted was to have her carrying around any unnecessary stress.

It tore her up inside to think how much pain the whole thing was causing Ruby. Up until two weeks ago, she didn't even know who Grant's parents, her grandparents were. Now it was very possible that, not only could they gain full custody of her, but that if they did, they could move her thousands of miles away from home to a whole other continent. The thought of that happening was unbearable for Charlie. The had only ever lived apart twice in their whole lives, when Charlie was training at the police academy and when Ruby was sent to boarding school. But on both occasions Charlie was able to travel to see her daughter. Or sister as it were back then.

Nicole sat in the back corner of the room, watching on as her best friend and her mother embraced. With everything going on that day, she had decided that it was important that she be at the hospital with Ruby to provide support and comfort. It had been tough having to watch as her friend was torn apart by cancer. She still remembered the day Ruby told her she was sick. At first Nicole thought she was having some surreal nightmare. But the sorrow in her friends eyes revealed the truth. Ever since then, Nicole has done her best to be a strong support system for Ruby. Today was no different.

When Charlie and Ruby finally pulled apart from their hug, the younger Buckton reached across to the bedside locker and picked up the item that was staring back at her. Charlie watched as Ruby began to tie it around her bare wrist. When she looked down she say a bracelet. It was made with a leather strap and four medallions dangled from it. Charlie admired it for a moment before looking up at her daughter.

"Marilyn gave it to me after I'd found out about the leukemia. She talked to me about her cancer and what she went through and the people who helped her through it", Ruby explained as she played with the medallions. "Each medallion is blessed and they all represent something different. This one represents protection against life's evils. This one represents inner strength within ourselves. This one represents love. Love of the heart, love of the human soul, love for one another. And this one represents the ability to heal those who seek out the need to be healed. Physically, mentally, emotionally", Ruby finished after explaining the last medallion. "I figured since I can't be there with you, a part of me could".

Charlie looked at the bracelet, then returned her gaze to her daughter and smiled lovingly at her.

"Thank you", Charlie replied as she gently pulled Ruby towards her and placed a kiss upon her forehead. "Are you sure your gonna be okay?", she asked.

"She'll be fine, I've totally got it covered. We'll sit here and have a bit of a gossip, check at all the hot George Clooney type doctors that are wandering around the ward and then when we're done with that I might let Ruby win at poker again", Nicole smiled as she stood beside her friends hospital bed giving her a shoulder a gentle squeeze.

"Eh yeah, and if Nicole's nice to me we'll play for matchsticks this time so she doesn't leave broke again", Ruby replied mockingly.

Charlie laughed at the interaction between the two young girls. At times it almost felt like she had two daughters. She cared a lot about Nicole and she was really grateful that Ruby had a friend she could trust and rely on. It made her feel slightly more at ease about leaving Ruby . Although she hated the thought of it, she knew if she were to stand a chance of winning the case she had to be at the custody hearing. Just then Morag entered the room, briefcase in hand and coughed to make her presence known. All three women looked up at her.

"Charlie, it's time to go", she said and then waited patiently for Charlie to gather her bearings.

Stroking Nicole's arm, Charlie thanked her for being there to wait with Ruby. Then, taking one last glance at the person she loved the most, she leaned forward and wrapped her arms around her daughter. Holding her as if it were to be the last time she ever did again. Ruby responed with the same intention behind her embrace. Both kissed each other the cheek as they pulled apart.

"I love you", Charlie said as she stood up.

"I love you too" Ruby replied, a tear in her eye.

With that, Charlie followed Morag and they disappeared out of the room. Seeing the tears well up in Ruby's eyes, Nicole wrapped her arms around her friend and held her close. Allowing her to release the tears that had been threatenng to fall since the start of chemo.

Sitting outside the family court room, Charlie played with the bracelet Ruby had given her earlier. Her gaze remained fixed on it. Until she heard a man down the corridor mention the names of the Bledcoe's. Then reality set in and she found herself removed from her thoughts and planted firmly into the middle of a nightmare she couldn't escape from. All around her she was surrounded by men and women in suits and carrying briefcases. She wanted to get up and run. But knew she couldn't. Just then a familiar voice called.

"Charlie, Charlie", her stepmother called trying to get her attention.

"Hmm", was all Charlie could manage.

"They're ready for us", Morag replied as she placed a hand on her stepdaughters shoulder.

Nodding her head Charlie stood up and followed Morag into the room and watched as the attendant closed the door behind them. Charlie's nightmare had suddenly become a real life fight.

"So I called Leah, she's been delayed. But she said she's sorry and that she just has to wrap up a couple of things at the diner and she'll be here as quick as she can. But on the plus side you do have a rather cute late visitor", Nicole said as she handed Ruby the glass of water she had fetched for her while she called Leah. Smiling she stepped out of the way to reveal Romeo as he walked in the door.

"Hey", Ruby said when she saw her friend. "Long time no see stranger", she said with a cheeky grin.

Romeo smiled at her with his cute heart warming grin and removed a teddy bear from behind his back.

"For my lady", he said as he approached her bed and handed the bear to her.

"Ah, Romeo he's cute and all, but I'm not five", Ruby said with a small laugh.

"Yeah I know, but I thought he looked kind of lonely in the gift shop and a teddy bear lasts longer than flowers", he replied as he petted the bear.

"Thank you", Ruby said as they both continued to smile at each other. Taking a sip of her water she layed back and looked at Nicole as she placed the water cup back on the bedside cabinate for her. "Thanks Nic", Ruby said.

"Hey what are friends for", she replied with a smile as she gave Ruby's hand a squeeze.

Looking at the clock at the back of the room, Ruby realised the Charlie would have just gone in for the custody hearing. Gazing between her two friends and realising that Leah would be late, suddenly an idea hit her.

"Guys I need to ask you both a huge favour".

"This was a bad idea, a really, really bad idea", Nicole ranted as she ran up the front steps of the court house ahead of Romeo who was carrying Ruby.

When they had reached the top of the steps, Romeo gently let Ruby down and held onto her until she was steady enough to stand alone. Grabbing Nicole by the arm Ruby turned her friend towards her and looked at her with pleading eyes.

"Nic would you please shut up. I know this isn't exactly the smartest idea I've ever had but I need to do this. Please help", she said.

"Okay fine. But if we get busted, cancer or no cancer I'm telling them you made us do this against our will", Nicole replied mockingly.

When they had finished their disagreement, all three teenagers made their way inside the building and followed the sign that read family court right up the stairs. Picking up the pace as they moved down the corridor, they checked every sign outside each door to find the right room. As they walked Ruby found herself gasping for breath. Her energy levels hitting crisis point. But the adrenaline that was pumping through her body pushed her to keep going. Eventually Nicole found herself stood before a sign that read Buckton v Bledcoe Custody Hearing and gestured towards her friends that this was the right room.

Looking at the large hard wood doors Ruby braced herself and tried to catch her breath as the reality of what she was about to do hit her.

Inside the room, the jugde glared at Charlie over her glasses from where she was sitting.

"Although Ms. Buckton holds a high standing in society and has been acting as the girls legal guardian for the past two years, the fact still remains that for sixteen years she was believed to be her sister. Also while under her guardianship, Ruby was involved in a bomb attack, was investigated as a suspect in the murder if her father, Mr. Grant Bledcoe and was responsible for posting a viral video of a fellow student naked on the internet", the judge pointed out reather harsly. "While it is clear that you love your daughter and have a deep affection for her, it does not do enough to qualify you as a fit parent".

At these words Charlie broke down in tears, the full extent of their meaning hit her at full force. Just then the double doors burst open to reveal the figures of three teenagers .

"Ruby!", Charlie exclaimed as she saw her weak daughter standing at the top of the room.

"Stop", Ruby said her eyes focused soley on the judge. "You can't do this I won't live with them", she told the judge as she blinked rapidly trying to stop the dizziness she was experiencing.

"I'm sorry your not allowed...", the judge was cut off by the visibly upset, sick young girl standing before her.

"Please, don't this. Don't tear my family apart", she pleaded. "I know we don't have the most conventional mother/daughter relationship. But Charlie IS my mum and I love her. And I know she loves me. She has been protecting me and caring for me all my life. She's always been there for me. I need her in myyy...I need...her in...my liffffe", Ruby's words were slurred as she spoke, her balance beginning to wane.

Charlie stood from her and instantly saw the blood dripping from Ruby's. Just as the judge was about to say something, Ruby began to cough and splutter blood. Charlie dashed across the room and caught her daughter just as she went to collapse. Cradling Ruby in her arms, Charlie screamed at the judge and attendant to call for help. The Bledcoe's stood on the far side of the room stunned into silence. Romeo and Nicole dashed over to try and help but they couldn't.

Charlie rocked Ruby back and forth, tears falling from eyes. At that moment, she prayed for a miracle...

Archived