My Only Hope

Guest lollypop

Oh my god! How AMAZING was that!?

I loved it!

LOL at Romeo, Nicole and Ruby reaching the courtroom, its so sweet that Ruby has Romeo and Nicole there for her.

Poor Charlie, not only having to face the Bledcoe's, she has to sort her daughter out when no one will call for help!

Brilliant update,

More soon please :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was a BRILLIANT update!

I can't believe the Bledcoe's! What makes them think that they have the right to take Ruby away from her mum?! And Ruby needs her mum, I mean everytime something has been wrong with Ruby, Charlie has always been there and they've just stood there! They're incapable of looking after her! Euuurck, they anger me >:[

I like the banter between Nicole, Romeo and Ruby because it shows they are just teenagers at heart. What Nicole said about blaming Ruby about going to court against her will, cancer or no cancer. It made me laugh :)

I'm looking forward to the next update :)

• 1 month later...

Chapter 10

Hey, sorry it took so long to update, I've been so busy lately and I've just started college so I've been busy moving and everything. Anyways here's the latest chapter. Hope you like it and please you review. I love to hear your thoughts.

All was quiet in the hospital waiting room. Romeo had his arm wrapped firmly around Nicole as he tried to comfort the upset teen while also trying to keep his own emotions under control. They couldn't really make sense of what had just happened. Everything was a blurr of sheer confusion. From the moment they stepped into the court room to now, sitting in waiting. It all felt very surreal. When Romeo felt the trickle of hot tears drop onto his arm he snapped out of his thoughts and hugged Nicole closer to him, realising she needed reassurance.

Across the room the Bledcoes were deep in conversation with their lawyer, who was joined by Morag and the judge who was handling the proceedings. The look of upset and frustration evident on the faces of each of them. They were clearly deep in discussion but the tension seemed to cut through everyone in the room. Since arriving at the hospital they had been joined by Leah and Irene who had turned up to offer Charlie comfort and support and to be show their concer for Ruby's wellbeing. In the last two years they had become almost like surrogate mothers to her.

Standing by the window where the view overlooked the sea, Charlie stood rooted to the spot. Her arms wrapped firmly around herself as the tears rolled down her cheeks. Although medically she knew there was nothing that she could do for her daughter, it still didn't manage to rid the feelings of guilt that she felt. Feelings of guilt for lying to Ruby for sixteen years about being her mother. Feelings of guilt for not paying her enough attention. Feelings of guilt because Ruby was deathly ill and and she was fighting fit barely suffered from as much as a cold.

Even though Ruby had been ill for months, still Charlie found herself asking the same question every night as she lay in bed, "Why my daughter?". Charlie had little family left and the idea of losing her own child was more than she could bear to think about. She had read all the literature on leukemia. She knew all the statistics, the treatment plans, the survival rates. In fact Charle had educated herself so well on the condition she was now able to educate others and make sense of all the medical information the doctors fed her on an almost daily basis. But still she felt helpless.

Charlie could hold her dauhter, comfort her, wipe away her tears, give her hugs and kisses when she needed them. But while all of this was in its own unique way a chance for a parent to help their child in some small way, in the back of Charlie's mind it felt insignificant. For she had this theory that, if she couldn't cure Ruby of her illness, then she wasn't helping her at all. Everything else was just something for a mother to do while the doctors tried every drug ever created to find a cure. Like all parents Charlie would do anything for Ruby, even trae her own life, for the life of her daughters. But she couldn't. She couldn't free Ruby of this torturous disease. And knowing that tore Charlie inside everyday.

As she remained rooted to the spot, Charlie began to fidget with the bracelet Ruby had given her that day as she heard Ruby's voice echo loudly inside her head, telling her that she loved her. It reminded Charlie of the reason why she carried on living everyday even through the really tough times. She lived because she had someone to live for. Someone who loved her and who she loved unconditionally. As long as Charlie had that she would never give up. Just then Morag placed her hand on stepdaughter's shoulder and pointed her in the direction of the doctor who had just enetered the waiting. When Charlie made to walk towards him, everybody held their breath as they awaited what the doctor had to say.

"Charlie", Dr. Parker said as he walked towards her.

"How's Ruby? Is she alright?", Charlie replied. It was all she wanted to know. She was in no humour for chit chat. All she wanted was for the doctor to get straight to the point and he knew from past experiences with Charlie not to dwell in on minor details.

"Right now she's stable. Although she is very weak and very groggy. Now her chest catheter was damaged in the fall so we've had to remove the old one and replace it with a new one so she'll have a bit of discomfort for a while. But other than that she's as fine as she can be considering her circumstances", the doctor finally finished. "The recovery nurses are with right now but they'll come get in about a half an hour so you can see your daughter".

"Thank you Dr. Parker", Charlie said as she let out a soft sight of relief.

Once the doctor walked around Charlie was engulfed in a hug by Leah and then by Irene. Across the room Nicole released tears of joy as Romeo hugged her then removed his phone from his pocket to call Xavier and April. Gazing across the room Charlie could see the angered expression on her stepmothers face. Curiosity getting the better of her she stood up from her seat and made her way over to the far corner of the room to where Morag had been deep in conversation with the judge and and lawyer. Part of her wanted desperatly to know what was going on. Another part of her was terrified to know in case she received the worst possible outcome she could receive.

Morag spotted Charlie out of the corner of her eye and immediatly turned to face her. Charlie stopped dead in her tracks when she saw her stepmothers emotionless face staring back at her.

"Morag...what's going on?", she asked as she saw the judge and lawyer walk over to the Bledcoes.

"The judge has ruled that Ruby be temporarily placed in the custody of the Bledcoe's...".

"WHAT!", Charlie screamed, silencing the entire waiting room. "No, they can't do that, Ruby is my daughter. She belongs with me. Why are they doing this?". Charlie wailed through her tears.

"Because although the judge can see that you clearly love Ruby, she has doubts about ur parenting abilities based on past indiscretions", Morag explained as she looked at a teary eyed stepdaughter. "Charlie, trust me I will do everything I can to appeal this decision.

"And what am I supposed to do until then? Am I going to be allowed to see Ruby? What if they take her to the States before you can appeal? I can't lose her Morag...I can't", Charlie finished as she finally broke down.

Just then a nurse walked into the waiting room and just as Charlie was about to run up to her, she was stopped by Morag who then informed her that she could not have contact with Ruby without the Bledcoes consent. Looking towards the door she saw the nurse lead the Bledcoes down the corridor to where Ruby was recovering. Her daughter was literally only a couple of yards away but she couldn't see her. It was then Charlie realised she had hit rock bottom.

An hour had passed and Charlie was sitting staring at the same spot on the wall she had picked ut since the nurse left. During the time that time she had not opened her mouth once. Angelo had shown up to comfort Charlie, but nothing he said made any difference. He almost felt like he might as well have been some random stranger for all the reaction he got from Charlie. Angelo tried everything but couldn't not break down the barrier that was blocking him out. Eventually after watching Angelo fail miserably to talk Charlie around, Leah decided it was time she tried to get through to her friend.

Taking a seat next to Charlie, Leah put her arm around her friends shoulder and gave it a squeeze.

"Charlie...come on Charlie, you need to talk to someone. Let me help you", Leah said hoping to get her friend to speak.

"Ever since Ruby got sick I've always tried to be positive. I tell myself she's young, she's got her whole life ahead of her she can beat this", Charlie stopped and lowered her head and began to wring her hands together. "But every now and again I have that one thought...what if I lose her? whay if she dies?".

"Oh Charlie", Leah began but Charlie cut her off.

"If that happened I would miss out on so much. I'd never get to hear about her first day at uni, or how her first day at work went. I'd never get to see her walk down the ailse on her wedding day or be there for her when she has kids of her own", Charlie began to sob as she spoke. The words getting harder and harder to form. "I missed out on so much of being a mum to Ruby when she was growing and now just when I've finally got y daughter back, I've lost her again and I don't know how I can deal with this", she finished breaking down in Leah's arms.

"Shhhh, it's okay, it's gonna be okay", Leah said as she tried to console her friend.

"I want my daughter back! I just want Ruby", Charlie said through her tears.

Just then Mrs. Bledcoe appeared at the door. She eased her way into the room and was met with hostile glares from all that were closest to Ruby. Nicole stood up from her chair.

"What the hell are you doing here? Don't you think you've caused my friend and her family enough pain today?", she spat as Romeo rushed up behind her and tried to calm her down.

"Nic come on don't make this any harder", he said as he tried to guide her away but she refused.

"No, my best friend is really ill and this woman who says she cares about her has done the one thing that has made her even more miserable than she was", Nicole turned back towards the woman, "She's sick and you think taking her away from her mum is going to make things better? You are seriously delusional".

"We just want to take care of our granddaughter and this is the only way we could do that", the elderly woman tried to defend herself.

"Yeah well you've got a funny way of showing you care", Nicole said as she turned and walked back towards her seat.

The woman walked over to where Charlie was seated and touched her on the shoulder to get her attention.

"Charlie, I know I'm the last person you want to talk to right now...but, well...Ruby's been asking for you. She's in quite a bit of distress and...she needs her mum", Mrs. Bledcoe finished.

Charlie looked up at the woman, her brain working over time to register what she had just been told. But it didn't take long. Once she realised Ruby needed her she bounded out of her seat and made a dash across the room and down the corridor. About half way down she spotted Mr. Bledcoe standing outside the room, gazing in at Ruby through the glass pane outside the ICU. When he spotted Charlie he nodded his head as if to confirm it was okay for her to enter.

Walking up to the door, Charlie pushed it open. Her eyes fell upon Ruby and she walked straight up to her daughters bedside. She lowered her hand and gently stroked Ruby's forehead and with her other hand, she grabbed a hold of Ruby's.

"Ruby, baby", Charlie said in a hushed voice trying to wake her daughter.

As if on cue, Ruby's eyes slowly began to flutter open.

"Umm...Charlie" Ruby said in a croaky voice as she gently squeezed her mother's hand back. Staring up at her mother Ruby's eyes became teary, "Please don't let them take me Charlie", she said as her tears began to pour down her cheeks.

"I won't let them take you anywhere. Alright. Like I said, where you go, I go. I promise", Charlie finished and then planted a long lingering kiss on Ruby's forehead.

Ruby wrapped her arm around Charlie's neck and hugged her tightly. Charlie held her daughter as tightly as possible, showing that no matter what, she would not let Ruby go anywhere without a fight.

I loved that update. I t was worth the wait!

I feel so sorry for Charlie, having the Bledcoe's take custody of Ruby. Ruby should be with Charlie!. I love how you wrote all the emotions, they were so real and true, I felt myself get all choked up. Well done

I love this and can't wait for your next update, :)

• 4 months later...

Hey sorry everyone I know I've been MIA for a long time but college life has kind of taken over. However I am on the verge of updating this fic and hopefully my other fic so please stick with me. I promise it will be worth the wait.

Lollypop!!

Hey sorry everyone I know I've been MIA for a long time but college life has kind of taken over. However I am on the verge of updating this fic and hopefully my other fic so please stick with me. I promise it will be worth the wait.

Lollypop!!

Yey! I can't wait to read the next chapter. lol, gad your nearly there with it :D

Okay so here it is, it's the newest chapter and I'm so sorry it took so long to update. I know it's well overdue. But I hope you like it. The song that I have included in this story is by Rascal Flatts called I Won't Let Go. When I heard it I though it just fit perfectly with the way Charlie's feeling and the emotions of certain other characters who may have invested strong feelings in Ruby. It's what inspired me to get writing again. It's a beautiful song and for emotional effect you should listen to the track whilst you read this chapter when the track itself is being played within the story. I'll post the link to the song at the necessary point in the story as it's hard to get a decent one on youtube. Hope you enjoy it.

Two Weeks Later

Two weeks had passed since Ruby was unexpectedly rushed to hospital. Although for those who cared about her, it felt much, much longer. Just as Ruby was beginning to feel better, she was struck down with the flu. Her already weakened immune system struggled to fight off the infection and she found herself being quarantined. But like the fighter she had become, she fought the infection and, although she was still weak, she was being discharged. Much to the relief of her mother and friends.

Charlie had arrived early that morning to collect Ruby. Romeo and Nicole had tagged along as they had promised Ruby they would hang with her that day to take her mind everything else that was going on around her. The Bledcoes were still very much making their presence known, however Ruby had long since accepted that they were not going away anytime soon. She didn't have the strength to keep fighting them and she didn't want to keep relaying the past they represented. Not when it was a past that haunted Charlie. She was fed up seeing her mother upset. Luckily, after Ruby was admitted, the Bledcoes agreed to give Charlie back full custody. Under the provision that they would be allowed visit and communicate about Ruby's health care. Eventually all agreed to Ruby getting a bone marrow transplant in Perth at the end of the month. Much to everyone's delight.

As if on cue, Charlie walked into Ruby's room, followed closely by Nicole who was carrying a gift bag, and Romeo who also came bearing gifts. Charlie walked around to the side of the bed and sat down, planting a kiss on Ruby's forehead as she greeted her daughter. Nicole and Romeo made their way to the far side of the bed and both greeted Ruby with tender hugs, careful not to hurt her still healing chest from where her new catheter had been inserted.

"Hey, how are you doing this morning?", Charlie asked as she gently stroked her daughter's arm.

"Yeah, I'm okay. Tired, but I'm good", Ruby replied, trying to look as positive as she could under the current circumstances. Charlie nodded at daughters response and then stood up, walking over to the chair that was currently being occupied by Ruby's bag which she Charlie began to finish packing. As she neatly folded away Ruby's belongings, Romeo and Nicole decided to present their friend with the gifts they had brough her to cheer her up.

"Okay, I know you're probably wondering what's in the bag right?", Nicole said with a hint of excitement in her voice. Ruby smiled at her with a look that screamed 'obviously' and proceeded to laugh as Romeo used the table at the end of the bed to create the sound of a drum roll. "Ladies and Gentleman, boys and girls, I present the very first, and last, one of a kind designer head scarf by Nicole Franklin Designs", as she finished off her speech, Nicole removed a gorgeous hand made purple head scarf, with fine detailing and even a long string feathered hair piece like the one Ruby used to wear in her hair.

Taking the scarf in her hands, Ruby felt the texture of the soft material and admired the detail. The scarf was beautiful and the more she looked at it, the more in awe she became of Nicole's talent for designing. Putting the scarf down Ruby looked up at her best friend and with outstretched arms, thanked her for her gift. They broke apart when they were interrupted by Romeo's faking coughing, both laughing at his playful nature.

"Okay, okay it's my turn", he said stepping in front of Nicole so that he was closer to Ruby. "Now my gift isn't as cool as Nic's, but it something we can all enjoy together or at least endure together...ta-dah", he said as he presented Ruby with a stack of Kate Hudson dvd's. "Oh and one other thing", he said. Reaching behind his back he removed the biggest bar of chocolate Ruby had ever seen. "What's a movie fest with some chockie", he smiled at her. Out of the corner of his eye he saw Charlie glaring at him disapprovingly. "In moderation with your diabetes?", he said, more as a question towards Charlie, who laughed at his attempts to please her.

"Okay Rubes, you ready to go?", Charlie asked as she placed her hand on her daughters shoulder and gave it a gentle squeeze. Ruby nodded yes at her mother and then watched as Romeo went outside to retrieve a wheelchair. With Charlie and Nicole's help, Ruby moved from the bed to the chair and settled herself in. Nicole gathered together Ruby's gifts and walked along side Ruby and Charlie down the corridor as Romeo trailed behind carrying the bag of belongings. Ruby enjoying the view of the outside world for the first time in two weeks.

The car ride home was full of chat. Nicole filled Ruby in on April's latest enviromental plans, Bianca's confusing love life, Xavier and Palmers blossoming relationship and even decided to share Romeo's woeful love life, much to his lack of enthusiasm. Which led Ruby to the age old question of how her own mother's love life was doing. But like every other time she asked the question she received the same awkward silence, which was further deepened by Charlie's refusal to discuss Angelo. Before Ruby could ask anymore questions they had arrived at Leah's house.

Getting out of the car, Charlie walked around to the passenger side followed by Romeo who gently placed his hand on her arm, handing her the bag as she held the door open.

"Here, you take this, I'll carry Rubes into the house", he said and waited for Charlie's approval before gently placing his arms under a sleeping Ruby, who stirred in his arms as she rested her head against his chest. Charlie closed the door and led the way to the house, removing her keys from her handbag she handed Nicole the key to open the front door and she oblidged, taking the keys from her friends mother. Nicole held the door open for Romeo who entered first. He turned towards Charlie.

"Where do you want me to put her?", he asked as he watched Charlie place the bag down. She looked up and pointed towards the couch and followed the tall blonde into the living room. Romeo walked around the dining table and over to the, gently placing Ruby upon it without waking her. He stood back and watched as Charlie removed the quilt from the back of the couch and placed it over her daughter. Nicole watched on from the doorway. A silent tear slid down her cheek as she thought about her friend. She quickly wiped it away. Not wanting anyone to notice.

As Charlie walked passed she placed a gentle hand on Nicole shoulder for comfort and smiled at the teen before heading into the kitchen to make a pot of coffee. Nicole joined her a short time after. When both women had left the room Romeo bent down and gently stroked Ruby's arm. He leaned over her and gently whispered in her ear and just before he stood up, he placed a kiss on her forehead and then made his way out into the kitchen to join Nicole and Charlie.

"Hey guys, thanks for today. I know it meant a lot to Ruby having you there", Charlie said as she placed a coffee down in front each of the teenagers. They smiled gratefully at her and took a sip of their coffee.

"It was nothing. We wanted to be there for her", Nicole said playing with the handle on her cup. She looked up at Charlie as she sat down at the table with them.

"I don't know how you do it. Stay so strong when Ruby's so sick", Nicole said, a look of sympathy in her eyes.

"Yeah, it most be tough. I mean I find it hard trying to be strong for a couple of hours. You're with Ruby everyday. You've seen her at her worst. How do you do it?", Romeo asked, genuinely interested.

Charlie looked down at her hands and thought carefully about what she would say to the eager looking teenagers staring back at her. Truth be told sometimes she didn't know how she would cope. When Ruby was having a bad, at times it felt like the only thing Charlie wanted to do was fall apart. But she knew she couldn't. Because Ruby needed her and she had to be there for her daughter. She needed to be there for her.

"Honestly, I stay strong, because I have to be strong for Ruby. Because if I'm not I would fall apart. Ruby would fall apart. And I couldn't bear to see that happen", Charlie said, a mix of determination and sadness in her voice. She looked back down at her hands and then took another sip of her coffee. Nicole and Romeo nodded at what she had said. Understanding exactly what she was saying.

Finishing up their coffees, Romeo and Nicole said their goodbyes to Charlie and headed for home. Nicole and Romeo walked down the street for a bit before Romeo stopped and told Nicole he was going to the beach for a walk. Nicole nodded understandingly and then turned, heading for home Picking up the empty cups, Charlie placed them in the sink and made a mental note to wash them later. Then she turned and made her way into the living room. Noticing that Ruby was beginning to wake Charlie walked over to the couch and kneeled down beside it, reaching up and stroking Ruby's cheek when saw her eyes begin to flicker open.

"Hey sweetie", Charlie said. Ruby stretched a little then sat up to make room for her mother to sit down. Taking up the vacant spot on the couch Charlie pulled Ruby into her warm embrace and sat back. Ruby rested her head against Charlie's chest. She still felt weak, but felt better than she had in weeks at that very moment.

"I had nice dream", Ruby said as she played with Charlie's chain.

"Oh yeah", Charlie said, "What was it about?", she asked running her hand up and down Ruby's arm.

"We had a barbaque at the house. Everyone was there. You, me, Ross, Morag, Mr. Stewart, all our friends. There was music, the sun was shining brighter than I've ever seen it shine before. And everyone was happy. Like nothing bad could happen", she finished.

"Sounds beautiful Rubes", Charlie replied placing a kiss on top of her daughters head.

"Hey Charlz, could you put on some music?", Ruby asked looking her mother in the eye.

"Sure", Charlie answered, "Any preferences?", she asked standing up from the couch.

"You pick", Ruby said watching as Charlie shuffled through the iPod on the docking station. After a couple of seconds Charlie settled on a song and returned to the couch and sat down, wrapping her arms around Ruby. http://www.4shared.com/audio/BaknUV70/Rascal_Flatts_-_I_Wont_Let_Go.htm

"Charlz, you know this bone marrow transplant, what if I'm not strong enough, you know, what if something goes wrong?"...

...At the caravan park, Nicole flicked through her photo album from last summer. So many memories that she would treasure forever. Many of them of Ruby and her and all their adventures and misadventures. Looking at the picture of them with their arms around each other down on the beach, Nicole smiled. In Ruby she had found a true friend, a best friend, a sister. At that moment she promised that no matter what happend she would always hold on to Ruby. She would stand by her side through thick and thin. She wouldn't let her go. No matter what. Leaning back against her pillow she hugged the album close to her chest and a lone tear fell down her cheek...

...Down on the beach, Romeo sat with his arms stretched over his knees, staring out at the sea watching as the sun began to set over all the land. As he sat there he thought about Ruby. It was all he seemed to think about lately. It was what was causing problems in his relationship with Indi. For Romeo had recently discovered that the feelings he had for Ruby ran deeper than just brotherly love or friendship. He was falling for her. And the thought of not getting the chance to be able to be with her was eating him up inside. Which is why he vowed to hold on to her no matter what.

When both women had left the room Romeo bent down and gently stroked Ruby's arm. He leaned over her and gently whispered in Ruby's ear, "I love you Ruby. And I'll wait for you. No matter how long it takes", he placed a kiss on her forehead and then made his way out into the kitchen to join Nicole and Charlie.

A tear slid down Romeo's cheek and he promised himself there and then that he would always love Ruby Buckton, and he would never let her go...

...Sitting on the couch, her arms wrapped protectively around her daughter, Charlie listened to Ruby's words echo inside her head. The truth was, Charlie thought about the prospect of Ruby dying every day. The fear growing deeper the closer the transplant date came. But as strong as that fear was, it wasn't as strong as her love for Ruby. And that's what gave her the strength to stay strong and think positively.

"It's gonna work Rubes. And do you want to know why? Because I'm gonna be there holding your hand right to the very end", Charlie said gazing lovingly into her daughter's eyes. "And I promise you, no matter what...I won't let go", she said.

Ruby nodded at what Charlie had said. The tears spilling from her eyes. Charlie wiped the tears away with her thumbs and then pulled Ruby into her arms and hugged her so tight, she felt she would never let go. And as she sat there with her daughter in her arms she replayed her own words in her head...I won't let go Rubes...I won't let go...

Yay!! Welcome back! I missed you so much, lol. *hugs*

Wow this is such a beautiful and well-written chapter you had done.

So glad the Bledoces had given back full custody of Ruby to Charlie. :) They must had realised they had made a mistake doing this-taking Ruby away from her mum. <_<

The ending is so sweet and lovely :wub:

Update soon xx :D

Archived