My Only Hope

Guest lollypop

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 5

Sitting on the beach, staring out at the clear blue waters in front of her, Ruby felt like for the first time in a long time, she was herself again. All her worries and stresses seemed a million miles away. For once she felt almost normal again. Over the last six months, Ruby had to think about things a lot more logically, a lot more carefully. In fact it seemed like all she did was think and analyse. About if she would get better, about things she still wants to do with her life and about the people she cared for so deeply.

For she knew that as hard as it was for her going through the illness, it was hard on the people she cared about having to watch her having to fight for her life every single day. Although it is a terrible thing to think, at times Ruby couldn't help but wonder if she were better off dead. At least then she would be free of this disease, and everybody could move on with their lives and not have to fuss around her. But then they reminded her that they needed her in their lives a lot more than she would ever know.

She thought about her friends, Nicole, Romeo, Xavier, even April who she had become friendly with over the last couple of months. How supportive they had all been. Nicole especially. They were best friends. They confided everything in each other. At times they found it hard to believe that they once hated each other. Now, they couldn't have been closer if they tried. Charlie had even taken to Nicole like a surrogate mother. Offering her advice and helping her out of tricky situations. It felt nice to see the people she really cared about looking out for one another.

And Charlie. Ever since she was a little girl, Ruby had always felt this bond with Charlie that she could never explain. They were extremely close, closer than most sisters. She just put it down to the fact that Charlie was always protecting her, helping her with home work, comforting her when she was upset over a boy. She told Charlie everything and she always felt like no matter what she said, it was safe in the knowledge that Charlie would keep the secret to herself. Then when she finally found out the truth about her parentage, it all made sense. The person she loved the most was her mother.

After everything they had been through Ruby thought that they would finally be able to have a normal relationship again. Before they had almost completely fallen apart. Ruby thought she would never be able to have a close connection to Charlie again and it broke her heart. But she realised how strong their bond was. Even through the really rough patches, she still felt that bond they shared and eventually they did find their way back to each other. Their relationship slowly began to heal and they felt this new depth to their closeness.

The way Charlie had single handidly taken to looking after Ruby, showed her just how much love and affection her mother had for her. Ruby had this whole new admiration for her and that's what gave her the strength to fight every day. She wanted to do this for Charlie. She wanted to be able to give Charlie the chance to be a proper mother to her like she had always wanted. Nothing was going to stop her now. Charlie had given her so much her whole life. The best way she could to repay her at this moment...was to fight for her life.

And that's what Ruby would do. Fight. She would give it everythig she had and a little bit more. But she also knew deep down, that if it turned out she was fighting a battle she couldn't win, that was okay. She had come go to terms with death and the concept that it is final a long time ago. If her time were to come and she had done all she could do to beat the leukemia, then she would gracefully except her faith and peacefully. She just hoped that if or when it happens, everybody else would move on gracefully with her.

Checking the time on her watch, she realised she had been sitting there for half an hour and with the current state of her immune system, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to risk spending anymore time there. Shakily, she stood up and wiped off the sand that had stuck to her. Looking at the direction of home she stopped. If she returned home Leah would have her sent straight to bed for rest from the days chemo session. Turning and facing the opposite direction she thought about going to see Charlie. She knew her mother would not be happy about her burning up her energy like this but she really wanted to talk to her. With her mind made up, Ruby set off in the direction of the police station.

A little over a half hour later Ruby arriver at her destination. It used to take her fifteen minutes to get there, but with her lack of energy, the constant feeling of being sick and the chemo treatment taking it's toll on her body, moving slowly was the only way she could move at all. Attempting to walk to the reception desk, she stumbled a little. Her legs feeling as if they were about to snap underneath her. Constable Avery was behind the desk and he looked at the sick teenager in front of him. Ruby clung to the desk as she spoke.

"Is Ch...Charlie here?", she asked clearly out of breath.

Avery was about to speak when Charlie walked out of her office. Her nose buried in a file. Looking up she spotted Ruby standing staring at her, looking like she was ready to collapse. Closing the file she ran over to Ruby, she flung the file at Avery and latched her arm around her daughter's waist, steadying her on her feet and taking the weight off. Turning to face a concerned Avery, Charlie asked him to fetch a glass of water and bring it to her office.

"Rubes, what the hell are you doing here? You should be home resting", she said with a stern yet compassionate tone to her voice. as she sat her daughter down in her office chair.

"I know, I'm sorry I just had to talk to you", she said resting her head against her hand at Charlie's desk.

"What's so important you couldn't wait until I got home? Your ill you should be burning yourself out like this", she said just as Avery walked in with the glass of water. Thanking him she handed the glass to Ruby but kept her grasp on it in case Ruby didn't have the strength to do so on her own. Charlie pulled the empty chair beside the wall over to the desk next to Ruby noticing that her daughter looked upset and uneasy. "Baby what's wrong? Come on tell me, your making me worry", she said as she took Ruby's hand in her own.

"I don't want you to track down Grant's kids", Ruby said in one swift breath. "I know you've been digging into it and I know about the chances that they're a bone marrow match. But I don't want you to do this", she said looking at the hurt in Charlie's eyes.

"Rubes this isn't up for discussion. I know where they're living and I've already arranged to meet Tracy this weekend and that's final", Charlie replied with a look of sheer determination that could not be broken.

"But what your asking them to do isn't fair. They don't owe us anything. Their only kids it isn't fair to ask them to do this", Ruby said with genuine compassion for the well being of the children.

"No Rubes what isn't fair is waking up every morning to find your daughter can't get out of bed in the morning because she's too ill. What isn't fair is watching doctors poke needles into you and pump you so full of drugs to the point that you feel so sick all you can do is cry. What isn't fair is that I could lose the only thing in my life that actual means something to me. That I love unconditional. That's what isn't fair", Charlie said. A tear fell down her cheek as she looked at a visibly shaken Ruby. "As long as I have hope I'm not giving up on this. I can't give up on this".

"Charlie please don't do this to them", Ruby replied her face now drenched in tears. "I know that if you don't I'll die. But that's okay. I'm okay with that. I've accepted it. Just please leave this be".

"NO!", Charlie shouted, causing Ruby to look jump back in her seat. "You will not die. I won't allow it. Christ, you're sixteen years old you have your whole life ahead of you and I will not allow that to be cut short. Do you hear me? I love you and I am going to fight for this. I'm going to fight for you", Charlie said as she kneeled in front of Ruby.

Looking Charlie straight in the eye, Ruby could see that fire that burned there. That fire that was always ignited in Charlie when she was fighting for something she was passionate about. But she could also see the hurt, the fear and the love that cascaded down her mothers cheeks as tears and it was then she realised that there was no stopping Charlie. At that moment Ruby placed her fate in her other's hands.

"Okay", Ruby said. And with that Charlie pulled Ruby into her embrace and they hugged each other tightly. Neither one loosening their grip on the other.

I CAN'T believe I haven't commented on this for ages! Its brilliant!

The emotions, the feelings are so true!

I feel so sorry for Ruby

So sorry For Angelo

And so sorry for Charlie!

I really hope they find a match, Ruby doesn't deserve to die and Charlie doesn't deserve to loose Ruby!

Great writing, keep it up.

More soon please :) x

Chapter 6

As she arrived at the back door, Charlie could hear the laughter of two teenage girls coming from the living room through the barely open window in the kitchen. Leaning against the back door, she inhaled a large breath, trying to collect her thoughts and pull her emotions into order. Finally she managed to gather herself together. Opening the back door she entered the kitchen, throwing her handbag down by the small lamp stand and placing her car keys on it. The sound of Ruby's voice calling Leah gave her the motivation to make an appearance.

When she entered the living room she was greeted by Nicole and her daughter who were laughing hysterically at the television. Charlie leaned against the door frame and began to laugh at them. The young girls were laughing so hard they had tears streaming down their faces. It amazed Charlie how, even though Ruby was fighting leukemia and even through the chemo, her daughter could still laugh, still cry, still live life like any other person. She realised she had truly underestimated the strength of the human spirit.

Although Ruby did have her bad days and when they were bad, they were really bad. But when she picked herself back up, the strength she showed was incredible. Charlie felt like Ruby was a blessing, sent to save her. To make her a better person. And she did. In so many ways. For that Charlie was grateful. Even though being raped traumatised Charlie and she held so much hate and anger around Grant and that day, she never resented Ruby. In fact if Charlie in a twisted way of looking at it was grateful. For if Grant had not have assaulted her, and she had not become pregnant, shew ould not have Ruby. And to Charlie, a life without Ruby, was not a life worth living.

"Hey do you guys want a coffee? I'm just going to put a pot", Charlie asked as the two girls continued laughing.

"Ah, yeah that'd be great thanks", Nicole said as she turned to face Charlie and then facing Ruby

"Um, actually my stomach's not in the best way at the moment, could you make me green tea instead?", Ruby asked as she turned to her concerned loking mother.

"Yeah sure. Are you okay? Do you want to lie down?", Charlie asked as she crossed the room and kneeled down beside the couch where Ruby was sitting.

"No I'm fine, I just don't think coffee would really agree with me right now", she said squeezing her mother's arm to reassure her.

Charlie looked between Ruby and Nicole. Her daughter's best friend gave her a sympathic smile, she herself had already tried convincing Ruby to rest. But they both knew full well that when Ruby was having one of her more better days, she wanted to make the most of it. Even if she was putting on a brave face at times. Turning back to face Ruby, Charlie placed her hand on her daughter's knee and rubbed it in a soothing manner.

"Okay, It'll be ready in a few. Shout if you want anything else alright", she said as she stood up, planting a kiss on Ruby's forehead and making her way into the kitchen.

When she arrived at the kitchen counter, Charlie filled the kettle with water, and then removed three mugs from the cup rack. While waiting for the kettle to boil she walked over to the tall kitchen table and sat down on one of the stools. Burying her head in her hands. She felt emotionally drained. It was only three o'clock on the afternoon but already Charlie had acknowledged she had been through the worst day ever. Well, the worst day since Ruby's diagnosis. Two hours ago Charlie had received a blow that could tear her world apart. Her mind drifted to the very moment it happened...

..."No way! There is no way I'm allowing any doctors to stick needles in my kids for the possibility that they might be a match", Tracy yelled as she slammed her hand down on the table. "My family had been through hell because of you and your meddling daughter. Why should we help her?", she said almost as a rhetorical question.

Charlie sat across from Tracy tears welling up in her eyes. She knew this was never going to be some fairytale outcome. Tracy was right. Her family didn't owe them anything. Why should her kids be put through that? Suddenly Ruby's plea to leave the kids out of the whole thing echoed through her mind. But then she thought to herself, why should Ruby have to fight such a disease? Why should she suffer daily when she could easily be relieved of her misery? Although she knew it was a long shot she couldn't give up now. She had worked too hard trying to track Tracy down.

"Please. My daughter is dying. The longer she has to wait for a compatible donor, the shorter her life becomes", Charlie replied, almost getting down on her knees to beg as Tracy stood up. "I'm desperate. Please. I can't lose my daughter. I just...I can't", Charlie finished as a tear finally fell down her cheek.

Tracy looked down at Charlie. Although she hated what the woman had doen to her family, as a mother herself, she sympathised with her. If it were her kids she would be doing the exact same thing. She would do anything for them. But she couldn't get passed what her family had been through and that was enought to make her mind up for her.

"I'm sorry...I can't", Tracy said before walking out of the cafe and down the street.

Charlie watched on as her hopes walked out the door and her fears walked in. Suddenly reality slapped her in the face. It wasn't just Ruby who was fighting a losing battle, she was too. There was only so much she could do for her daughter and the most important part of that had just walked away leaving her empty handed and feeling faithless. It was more than she could take. Feeling the tears begin to well up, Charlie picked her bag and dashed out of the cafe. The only thing she could think of doing now, was holding her daughter...

"Charlie, hey", Leah said as she burst through the door and into the kitchen, "I thought you were down the coast to meet up with Tracy?", she asked as she dashed around the kitchen.

"I was, I just got back", Charlie replied with a rather dejected tone to her voice as she wiped away the stray tear that had fallen.

Leah stopped at the table in the middle of the kitchen and looked at her clearly upset friend. Placing a hand on Charlie's shoulder she gave it a squeeze.

"I take it things with Tracy didn't turn out well", Leah said a low voice as not to alert Ruby and Nicole to their conversation.

"That's the understatement of the year", Charlie replied trying to make light of the conversation topic but failing miserably. "She won't agree to. She doesn't want to put the kids through it. Not that I blame her I mean it's not like her family owes us anything", Charlie said as another tear rolled down her cheek.

"Well look, just because Tracy won't allow the kids to it doesn't mean that's the end of it. I mean there could be other donor matches out there", Leah tried to reassure her friend, "You've just got to stay strong nd keep fighting. For Ruby", she finished.

Charlie looked up at Leah and smiled. She was right there could be other donors out there. Anyways Charlie couldn't be defeated. Ruby needed her to be strong. If her daughter was going to keep fighting this she would need her mother to be able to be there for her. To comfort her. And that's what she was going to do. She was going to keep fighting with her daughter. She stood up and the two women embraced. Charlie thanked Leah for her words of encouragement and then watched as her houemate dashed out the door and headed for work.

Walking over to the kitchen counter, Charlie made up the pot of coffee and the green tea. Just as she was about to pour the coffee, Nicole walked into the kitchen and picked up he handbag.

"Hey Charlie, sorry I've gotta go", Nicole said as she went over to where Charlie was standing.

"Oh, okay, well do you want a lift home?", Charlie asked as she put down the coffee pot and turned to face the younger girl.

"No thanks it's okay. I'm meeting Miles and Romeo at the diner anyways. I'll drop by the hospital tomorrow to see Ruby during chemo", Nicole said. "I'll see you later".

"Bye", Charlie replied as she watched Nicole walk out the door.

Turning back to the counter she decided against the coffee and opted to have green tea with Ruby. Placing the cups and the teapot on the carrier tray she picked it up and walked into the living room to find Ruby wrapped up in the throw off the back of the couch. Putting the tray down on the coffee table, Ruby sat up to make room for her mother to sit beside her. Moving the cushion, Charlie sat down poured out the tea, handing Ruby a cup and then taking her own in her hands. As she sat back, her daughter snuggled into her side and remaind that way as they watched television.

Suddenly Charlie's phone rang. Removing it from her pocket she looked at the caller ID and Angelo's name flashed across the screen. Her finger hovered over the answer button, but Charlie didn't feel like having another argument. Finally she hit the reject button and placed her phone down on the table.

"Who was that?", Ruby asked lifting her head slightly so she was looking Charlie in the eye.

"Oh, it was just work. I'm not really in the mood for dealing with that right now", Charlie said.

Putting her arm around her daughter, Charlie pulled Ruby into her embrace and held her close. Ruby rested her head against Charlie's chest and two remained lke that for the rest of the evening.

Knock, knock...Charlie's eyes flung open at the sound of the knocking at the back door. Looking down she saw her daughter's head resting on her lap with a cushion underneath. Gently lifting Ruby's head, she slipped out from under her and lay her back down on the couch. She pulled the throw up around Ruby's shoulders and leaned down, planting a kiss on her forehead. Standing back up she bounded out into the kitchen and opened the door. Her mouth fell open when she saw who was standing at the door.

"Hello Charlie. It's been a while"...

Chapter 7

Charlie stood at the door gobsmacked. It was as if the past had come back to slap her in the face. She couldn't believe it. Her head was spinning with memories that were flooding back at rapid speed. Her knees felt weak and she her breathing became more rapid with each second she stood there rooted to the spot. At that moment she felt like the ground beneath her had opened up and she was in free fall. It was as if she was waiting fo her feet to touch solid groun again so she could engage with reality. And then it did.

"What the hell are you doing here?", she said with a venomous tone that expressed her anger.

"We came to see our granddaughter", the man said with a stern voice, his arm wrapped around his wife as they stood at the back door.

"Like hell you are!", Charlie replied. "You and your son have never been a part of Ruby's life...and you never will be", she said. Charlie went to close the door but the elderly man raised his hand up to stop it.

"Please, we know about the leukemia. Tracy told us you talked to her today", he said.

Looking between the man and the woman and then towards the living room where Ruby was sleeping, Charlie walked outside and closed the door over and stood in the outside dining area with the couple. She looked them up and down. In seventeen years, they had not changed one single bit. Granted they were older, but to Charlie it felt like time had stood still. Even now when she looked at Grant's father, she could see him. The whole situation made her uncomfortable. She didn't want them there but she knew if she didn't talk to them they would never leave.

"Go on then", Charlie said as she leaned against the windowsill

"Tracy came round to ours after you had talked to her about needing a bone marrow match for Ruby...", Charlie cut off the woman.

"Yeah which came to nothing. She doesn't want the kids to do it, that still doesn't explain why your here", she said looking between the man and woman for a viable explanation.

"No, no, you've got it wrong. It's not that Tracy doesn't want to do it, it's well...", the woman trailed off trying to find the words to finish.

"Well what?", Charlie asked growing impatient.

"The kids, they're not biologically Grant's, or Tracy's. They were adopted. Ruby is the first and last child Grant ever had", she finally finished.

Charlie stood there,flabbergasted. It now made sense why Tracy was so against the whole idea, It wasn't because she didn't want to help Ruby. She knew she couldn't. Charlie let out a sigh of realisation and then another of sadness. She was now back at square one with regards finding Ruby a donor. It was as if the universe was out to over throw her at every turn. All she wanted was for Ruby to get better. She didn't care about anything else. Everything in her life had taken a back seat to caring for her daughter. Her job, her friends and Angelo.

Angelo. She didn't know where that relationship was going. If that's what you would call it. All they seemed to do was butt heads on everything and argue. They rarely saw eye to eye on anything. In fact most of the time when they worked together, Charlie didn't agree with his methods. Although sometimes for the sake of preventing another Angelo temper tantrum, she kept her opinions to herself. It was hard to see why Charlie remained with him. At first it was because of the security he provided. But now, with Ruby ill and everything in her life being put into perspective, she wasn't so sure that it was enough.

"Why are you here? Why now?", Charlie demanded to know.

"After everything with Grant, we realised that there was no one to carry on the Bledcoe bloodline. Until Tracy told us that she'd been in contact with you and with Ruby", the man said. "We want a relationship with our grandchild. We want to help her get better. We want to take her to America and...",

"WHAT? NO!", Charlie shouted at them. "Ruby is a Buckton. She will never be a Bledcoe. Not now, not ever. As long as there is breath in my body I will never allow that to happen", she said, tears welling up in her eyes at the mere thought of it.

"Charlie we want a relationship with our granddaughter and we won't stop until that happens", the man said with a furious tone.

"You do what you like. Ruby is my daughter. My flesh and blood and I won't have you coming in and upsetting her life", Charlie spat back.

The elderky couple looked at each other, then back at Charlie. They could see the fire in her eyes. She was angry. They knew she would never back down of her own free will. So they decided that force would be the only way to go about seeing their granddaughter. Reaching into the inside of his pocket, the man oulled out a large brown envelope that was folded in half. Unfolding it, he looked at Charlie and then handed it to her. She snapped it from him and then glared at the both of them with a look of annoyance.

"What's this?", Charlie asked looking at the envelope.

"We're going to fight you for custody of Ruby. If you want agree to letting us take her to the States for treatment, we'll take her from you permanently", he said with a cold look.

"Custody? Are you out of your mind? No judge would let you take Ruby from me", Charlie said as anger and hurt hit an all time high.

"Our lawyer thinks we're in with a very good chance. I suggest you find one if you'e to stand any chance of fighting this", he replied.

With that the couple walked away, leaving Charlie heartbroken. They were actually going to try and take Ruby away from her. It was like somebody had just taken a knife and shoved it right through Charlie's heart. It ached uncontrollably at idea of having to fight for the right to be a mother to Ruby. Why did this have to happen now? Ruby was so ill, she coudn't take the stress of this on top of everything else. Charlie had to use all her strength not to collapse into a heap on the ground. She tried to catch her breath but it seemed like the hardest thing to do.

"Charlie", Ruby's weak voice called from the living room.

Hearing the her daughter call for her, Charlie stood up, wiping the tears from her eyes. Walking back inside the house, she dumped the custody papers on the kitchen work table and then tried to shake off the anger and hurt that was clawing away at her inside. Walking into the living room Charlie gasped at the sight of Ruby sitting uoright, crying her eyes out on the couch. Rushing over to her daughter, Charliesat down and placed her arm around Ruby.

"Rubes what is it, tell me what's wrong?", Charlie asked, her worry taking over.

"Charlie, you can't let them take me away", Ruby said through her tears.

"What? You heard that?", Charlie asked, the high pitched tone of her voice echoing the shock she felt. Ruby nodded her head as she tried frantically to wipe away the mass amount of tears that cascaded down her cheeks. "Oh baby. You know I would never let anyone take you away from me. Ever", Charlie emphasised the last word as she cupped Ruby's face in her hands. "I love you so, so much. I won't let anyone tear us apart. I promise", she finished.

As she looked Ruby in the eye, she saw the teen grimace in pain and then watched on helplessly as Ruby doubled over in agony. Charlie was aware if the side effects of the chemo. Althought Ruby had to deal with nosebleeds, vomiting and the other not so pleasant factors of the treatment, the pain was the worst because it felt like she could do nothing to relieve it. But this time it was worse. For it wasn't just a physical pain that Ruby felt, it was an emotional one too. Charlie tried desperatly to ease her daughter's discomfort but it just proved too difficult. She engulfed Ruby in her embrace, wrapping her arms firmly around her. Her daughter reciprocated by latching onto Charlie. Her grip tightening everytime a pain wave proved too painful.

Charlie rocked Ruby back and forth, hoping that the soothing motion would give her some relief, but knowing in the back of her mind that it didn't make a blind bit of difference. She knew that Ruby would just have to ride it out, for however long it lasted. Just like they would have to ride out the Bledcoes threats. However long thy lasted...

Archived