We Belong Together

Guest baymaniac

Chapter 51

(NOTE: If this was in real life, this would be the 2010 season opener)

Ric was on the beach, watching Mattie emerge out of the sea. She then sat down next to Ric and he wrapped his arms around her.

"You'll always be mine.", he said

"I love you and that's all that matters.", Mattie replied

Then her eyes closed, Ric called her to wake up.

Of course, that was just a dream! In reality, Mattie was on the brink of death!

She had been electrocuted through the hurricane when rescuing Nicole and was now in hospital being resuscitated, with the backup generators in the hospital having been activated.

"Charging at 240 volts.", said Rachel as the was being fired up again "Clear!"

But there was no response.

"Charging at 360 volts. Clear!", she then ordered.

Again, no output.

Ric was looking through the glass, tears were streaming down his eyes

"Come on Mattie!", he whispered to himself "Please, my life is nothing without you."

They tried for 360 volts for a final time. And there was still no sign of recovery!

"Time of death, 1:23am.", said one of the nurses. Then suddenly a output sounded on the graph.

"Wait a minute.", said Rachel "There's a rhythm output."

The defibrillator was charged again, this time for 120 volts. "We've got a pulse.", she said

As day broke, Mattie had woken up. She apologised to Ric for stupidly putting her life at risk, but Ric understood. She had to try and bring her friend to safety.

Coming Up in Chapter 52

Ric and Mattie discover the extent of the hurricane damage.

Please post comments!!!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 52

Hurricane Brandon had really hit Summer Bay hard

The roads were blocked

The surf club windows were smashed

Litter had been blown onto the beach

Trees were uprooted

It would take some time to clear up indeed. Once Ric and Mattie got back home, although relieved their tent had done the job and the house and stable were okay, the fields were covered by fallen trees. The telegraph pole that Mattie had been shocked by was being restored by workmen.

"This is like a bombsite.", was all Mattie could say

A few of the trees that had been brought down had come firmly out of their roots and couldn't be restored, but with the aid of the workmen, they converted them into jumping obstacles for when Mattie wanted to take Princess out for a ride.

"This is so sweet of you.", she said to Ric

"Well now you have something extra to do.", Ric replied

Of course though Mattie's goal still was to become a professional dressage rider. A few days after everything had been cleared away and the surf club reopened, Mattie had a proposition.

"Ric, how would feel if I joined the Australian Dressage Tour?", she asked

"You sure you want to do this now?", he said back

"Well I won my first event on my first attempt. So why wait?", Mattie replied "That is if you're willing to help."

"You always said you wanted me to support you in something.", said Ric "So yes, I'm happy if you want to do it."

Coming Up in Chapter 53

Mattie's new career goes from strength to strength

Post comments please!

Chapter 53

Together, Ric, Mattie along with Nicole, formed "Team Hunter". Comprising of Mattie as the rider, Ric as her trainer and Nicole helping with the grooming now that she had finished school, the motto was simple. FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!

"So when's your first event?", asked Nicole

"This Saturday in Sydney.", Mattie replied "And there are another six events after that before the top 20 go into the final in Canberra. The winner of that turns professional."

"A lot of travelling for us three then over the next few months, I guess.", Ric said

"Yep. But I'm sure we can handle it.", Mattie said to him.

Mattie was confident that the quick leap from an amateur to a pro rider in the space of months would be attainable.

The first stop was Sydney. And she won.

Next came Toowoomba where she finished 3rd. "Guess you can't win them all.", was her response following the event

Event three was held in Adelaide and that was victory again.

Melbourne staged another spectacular display and she made it three wins from four.

Then things took a huge downfall.

In Perth, she was disqualified for exceeding the use of her riding whip when Princess began to get out of hand.

Then she never recovered, she was back in 7th place in Shepparton.

And in the final regular event in Sale, she was back in 26th!

"I don't think I qualified.", Mattie said afterwards, looking very down and as almost as she was about to cry.

"Listen.", said Ric "You've done me and everyone in the bay proud for what you've done over the past few months."

Then the list of qualified riders for the final was posted.

1) Anthony Williams.....Kinetic Energy.....1,176 points

2) Ann Brown.....Jurago.....1,085 points

3) Jessie Lee.....Jaguar's Edge.....1,022 points

4) Andrew Phillips.....Iona.....994 points

5) John King.....Gambling Dice.....952 points

6) Lauren Robinson.....Braveheart.....924 points

7) Ethan Evans.....Groovy Speed.....896 points

8) Nicolas Cooper.....Major Hill.....861 points

9) Isabella Price.....Clumpy.....798 points

10) Bethan Smith.....Benson.....693 points

11) Brandon Lee.....All That Jazz.....686 points

12) Lauren Martin.....Fury.....651 points

13) Isabella Baker.....Otto's Choice.....623 points

14) Luke Ward.....Titan III.....546 points

15) Ryan Jones.....Ice Cream.....539 points

16) Grace Allen.....Troy Of Zeus.....525 points

17) John Clarke.....Futile 99.....455 points

18) Grace Lee.....Dear Bobby.....448 points

19) Joseph Wilson.....Ariel.....399 points

20) Matilda Hunter-Dalby.....Princess Tilly.....371 points

"OH MY GOD!", she screamed

"Told you that what happen.", said Ric

"Yeah but surely that can't be true. I lost half of my points because of the whip incident in Perth.", she said back

"Whatever the case, we're going to Canberra.", Ric replied

Coming Up in Chapter 54

It's the dressage final. Can Mattie win and turn professional?

Your thoughts?

P.S. The rider and horse names are fake. I made them up. It's a fanfic so I'm allowed to

Chapter 54

"Good morning. You're listening to Coastal FM. Well tommorrow is big final of the Australian Dressage Tour season in Canberra. I don't think we've ever talked about properly ever but this year, we should because one of our local girls is in it.", said the radio DJ.

"And she's here with us now. It's Matilda Hunter-Dalby. Welcome to the show, now you only took up the sport 8 months ago, did you really think you would already be on the brink of turning pro?"

"Never.", said Mattie "It's really beyond my wildest dreams."

"Many people said you may have an unfair advantage because your the only competitor in the final to ride a friesian horse and they believe its the best breed to go for in the sport.", said the DJ "What's your response?"

"I don't see what the fuss is all about.", she replied "People choose horses that they think will be good at dressage. I think it's still a level playing field."

"If you win, will you make competing in the 2012 Olympics as your main goal?", he then said

"It will be one of my ambitions.", Mattie said back

Soon the interview ended,

"Why do your competitors have to have a go at you sometimes?", asked Ric

"Their probably just jealous.", dismissed Mattie

The night of the final came along,

"It's showtime, girl.", Ric called to her when they were called to the waiting enclosure.

Ric wished her luck and they kissed before she led Princess into the enclosure. This was it. Her moment to shine.

And she didn't dissappoint. She registered a score 79.180%, her personal best to date. Ric and Nicole were waiting for her when she exited the area.

"Hey you were brilliant.", Nicole said.

"That's going to be one tough score to beat.", added Ric

"Especially for number one competitor.", Mattie said

They then watched the other 19 riders attempt to better it but when none of them did, it was time to celebrate.

"WE DONE IT!!!", yelled Mattie.

She had turned professional in the space of just 8 months.

Coming Up in Chapter 55

Mattie now considers taking the next step.

Your comments, please!!!

Chapter 55

Mattie was undobutely the toast of Summer Bay after she had done.

"You really have given everyone to look up to after what happened.", Alf said to her when she and Ric were in the bar

"Don't I at least get a mention.", Ric said "I did support you."

"Of course.", Mattie replied "But you do know that the huge goes to Princess. She did most of the hard work."

But despite the support of the townspeople, Mattie realised she couldn't stay in the Bay. If she wanted to be succesful at professional level, she had to move to a bigger place with better resources.

A few days later, she showed some information sheets to Nicole.

"Is this where you're planning to go?", Nicole asked

"Yes.", Mattie replied "It's the Friesian Dressage School in Amsterdam."

"Have you spoken to Ric about this.", Nicole then said back

"I will in due course.", Mattie reassured her "If I want to stay at the top of my game. I have to go somewhere where I can still be at my best."

She didn't mention anything when Ric got home. But when he was alone, he saw the paperwork lying on a desk. He was absolutely shocked.

At that point, Mattie came through the door. Her smile when she saw Ric standing in the corridor, looking grim.

"So is it true?", he asked

Coming Up in Chapter 56

Mattie tells Ric the truth.

Comments, comments, comments, please!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back, this is first of the final five chapters. I'm going to Chapter 60 and that's where it ends.

Chapter 56

"Ric, I am so sorry.", Mattie said to him "I was going to tell you."

"So you're just going to abandon everyone you love for this.", Ric said before walking off

This had certainly left Mattie stunned. Ric had supported her throughout all of this and he thought he would like the idea. But it was clear Ric just didn't want to leave the bay, not yet anyway.

Later in their bedroom,

"Ric, I know it's difficult to take in but if want to be succesful, I have to move to a different place.", Mattie said

"I know.", said Ric "But I don't think its ideal to travel halfway around the world just to find a new place to live."

Mattie was getting very agitated. She wanted to live the dream of being famous and Ric was just getting in the way.

"You know, I have had to cope for a year with you doing things your way. You never seem to give me a say in what we do.", she shouted

"But now, for once I want something to go my way!", she then added

"So what do you mean?", said Ric

"I'm going to Amsterdam!", she replied "And if I have to end of marriage because of it, then I will have to!"

Still being very stubborn, Ric responded with an ulitmatum.

"Fine, then you have to make a choice.", he said "It's Amsterdam or me!"

"Well, if you're to force me to choose.", she responded "Then I choose Amsterdam."

Ric shook his head in disbelief. Now he knew the next three words that would come out of Mattie's lips.

"It's over Ric!", she said before leaving.

Coming Up in Chapter 57

Mattie says goodbye to Ric...and Summer Bay!

Your comments, PLEASE!

Chapter 57

It had been a week since Mattie and Ric broke up. Ric had now been living alone on the farm as Mattie had moved into the city whilst her horse, Princess, had been transferred over to Amsterdam so she can be settled into her new location at the dressage school.

Of course, Mattie couldn't leave without saying farewell to her loved ones. The day she was due to leave, they organised a farewell party at the surf club.

"Thank you so much for supporting me in what I have done in these past months.", Mattie said to the crowd "This will always feel like home to me. But in order for me to continue in carrying on living my dream, I have to leave."

Then she went round to personally say goodbye to everyone,

"I can't believe this is happening.", Nicole said to her

"You know we've had our differences at first.", replied Mattie "But you've been a remarkable friend."

She then got in the car,

"So long.", she yelled out of the window before driving off to the airport

There was of course one absentee at the party, Ric. As she making her way out the bay, she past the house and stopped. She realised that she had to say goodbye.

"I thought I might want to see you before I went.", Mattie said

"I'm sorry for everything.", replied Ric "I want you to be successful but I just didn't feel to time was right."

Mattie then gave him a farewell kiss on the cheek and as she headed back, Ric said, "Always remember me."

"Don't worry.", she said back "I will still love you each and every day."

That was it. Mattie was out of Summer Bay.

Coming Up in Chapter 58

As Ric struggles to cope losing Mattie, someone throws him a lifeline.

Any more comments??

Chapter 58

It was very clear that Ric was miserable after Mattie left. He had sold the farmhouse and moved back into Summer Bay House but it was easily tellable that his life was nothing without Mattie around.

His mood could be quickly recognised when working at the bar. In fact, when he dealt with a customer who had a problem with the drink he served, the pain finally took over and he threatened him. Before a fight could break out, Alf pulled his grandson away.

Later, when the bar was closed

"I'm sorry for everthing over the past few weeks.", Ric said "I'd never that I would miss Mattie so much."

"Does that explain everything?", asked Alf

"Yes.", replied Ric

"Good, cause you know what, you're fired!", Alf said back

This did take Ric by surprise. Why would his own grandad fire him? He was immediantely handed an envolope as severence pay, containing a one-way plane ticket...to Amsterdam!

"Why Amsterdam?", asked Ric

"I booked you on the first flight tommorrow.", said Alf

"No really why?", Ric asked again

"To stop you from making a stupid mistake.", Alf replied "Your heart is no longer in this town. It's over there with Mattie."

"But what if she won't take me back.", said Ric

"Then you're welcome to come back anytime you want.", responded Alf

So with his bags packed, before he knew it, Ric was in Amsterdam. He managed to get the location of the dressage school Mattie was based and when he arrived, he got an absolute massive shock...Mattie was kissing another man!!!

Coming Up in Chapter 59

Has Ric lost the battle?

Comments?

Chapter 59

The bloke Mattie had fallen in love with was Nick Parketson, another up-and-coming dressage competitor from Australia. He had been competing professionally for a year.

Ric, of course, wanted to win Mattie back but had to start by staying out of view from her. Then at a cafe a few days later...

"Ric! Is that you?", said Mattie when she saw Ric reading a dutch newspaper.

She and Nick joined Ric for a coffee with Ric pretending to be a friend of Mattie's from Summer Bay who was on a business trip. But Mattie knew the real reason and when she and Ric were alone in her flat,

"What are you doing here?", she asked

"Came to see you.", Ric said, quickly thinking of a lie to prevent the truth coming out

"No, you wanted to be with me.", replied Mattie

"Do you love Nick?", asked Ric

"Yes, I'm sorry but it's the truth.", she repsonded "We agreed to move on. So I did. I ended up with him."

Ric left before the conversation could be ended properly.

He couldn't give up, yet anyway, so he stayed in Amsterdam for a few days, hoping his appearance would warm Mattie back to his side. But this failed miserably.

Once about to admit defeat, he got a phone call.

"Is this Mr. Dalby?", said the man on the phone "I work for Hyundai Motors in Queensland. I would like to offer you a job at our car dealer showroom."

If he didn't win Mattie back, Ric had sent an application for the company. So he accepted to meet with them in a couple of days.

Afterwards, he went down to a bench in a park and filmed something on a camcorder. Was he really going to leave the love of his life?

Coming Up in Chapter 60 - FINAL CHAPTER!!!

Does Ric leave for a new life alone? Or will there be a final twist in the tale?

Let me know your views! (THIS FIC IS NEARING THE END SO PLEASE DO TAKE THE TIME TO COMMENT!!!)

Chapter 60 (FINAL CHAPTER)

After taping his goodbye, Ric packed his bags, ready to go to the airport then left the DVD in Mattie's flat.

But Mattie was about to receive some heartbreak before it. Nick confessed that he was currently in another relationship and although he had now cheated with her, he couldn't leave his first flame. So they agreed just to be friends.

Mattie went back into her flat, obviously upset, then noticed a DVD on her bed, she played it and it was Ric.

Hi Mattie,

You must be wondering what I am doing here. Well, I didn't leave, I stayed to try and hope my appearance would give some sort of attraction to getting us back together.

Lately of course we have had our differences and the truth is because...

"Because?", Mattie said to herself, watching the DVD

Well, that's it. There's no way to finish the sentence anymore. I realised that you're relationship with Nick is true and will last. So this is my final goodbye. I'm leaving you to return to Oz but not to Summer Bay, to Queensland. I've accepted a job at a major car dealer showroom...and I'm never coming back!

Mattie gasped in horror.

And to prove to myself that we really are over...I taped this over our wedding DVD! Goodbye, Mattie...and good luck.

His image then cut off and switched to then having fun at their wedding reception. Mattie could only watch on in sadness and with tears streaming down her face. She then noticed Ric's wedding ring, he had left it behind in the flat.

Turning off the DVD, she ran out of the flat, jumped onto her rented motor scooter and sped off for Amsterdam Airport! She was convinced their was still time for Ric to change his mind.

And that was the case, check-in had just opened for the flight to Queensland that Ric was on board for. Waiting at the back of the long queue, he was looking at a photo of Mattie.

Then he heard a voice yell out his name very loudly and turned around to find Mattie running towards him...

"What are you doing here?", he asked

"I don't want you to leave.", she said

"That's too bad.", replied Ric "You and Nick are made for one another."

"No we aren't.", said Mattie "He already had a girlfriend and he didn't want to cheat."

"So what's going to stop me from going.", Ric said back

"Ric, I realised I still love you and I want to prove it...", she responded. Then she got down on her knees, and showed Ric his wedding ring.

"Ric, if you stay, will you marry me again?", Mattie asked

Ric just couldn't say no to the love of his life, and agreed to stay in Amsterdam. They renewed their wedding vows in a private ceremony, and settled for a new life together in the Dutch capital.

"You and me together again.", said Ric

"That's right.", replied Mattie "Cause WE BELONG TOGETHER!"

THE END

Please comment! This has been so much hard work and I really want to see go into the Northern Districts Library so please, please, please take the time to leave a comment!

Comments

Archived