We Belong Together

Guest baymaniac

Chapter 31

Simon staggered out of the wrecked car, shaken but not badly hurt despite some cuts to his face and left arm. He was instantly arrested and taken away whilst Charlie and Ric got the boot open to find Mattie...unconscious...and in a very bad way!

She was rushed to hospital,

"I knew Simon was after her.", said Ric "Why didn't I notice that in the first place."

"Perhaps he was really trying to convince you that he was a changed person.", replied Tony, who was at the hospital after Ric had informed him of what happened.

Suddenly, panic struck out, a nurse came through the doors from where they taken Mattie for surgery and shouted "Dr. Armstrong, she's arresting, bring the crash trolley ASAP."

Ric overheard everything

"I can't lose her.", he said emotionally "She means everything to me."

About half and hour later and news on Mattie's condition came to light. Rachel ushered Ric into her office as she felt that she could only describe it in full to just him.

"How is she?", asked Ric

"She's in a deep coma but stable.", said Rachel "Because she had lost a lot of blood, her pressure got really low and during surgery, she went into cardiac arrest and flatlined however we managed to get a blood donor supply of her type and now we need to see what happens when she wakes up. We need to do more tests to see whether she has got any pernament damage."

"You said there was something that only I should know.", replied Ric

"Before we took Mattie into surgery we did a scan and I regret to inform you that she lost the baby. Sorry.", she said back "Also, Mattie had suffered severe bleeding to her abdomen and massive tissue damage. We had remove the tissue and her appendix in order for the condition not to relapse."

"What does this mean?", said Ric, looking very concerned

"I am so sorry Ric, but Mattie has become infertile. She is unable to mother any children. It was the only way to make sure she made a full recovery, if possible.", commented Rachel.

Ric was absolutely distraught, they really wanted to have a child together, now that couldn't be the case.

Coming Up in Chapter 32

How will Mattie react when Ric tells her the bad news.

Comments?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 32

Several days passed and Ric had effectively kept vigil at Mattie's bedside all the time. He was just praying and praying for her to wake up.

Finally, a week after the accident, she began to open her eyes.

"She's waking up.", Ric yelled out to the corridor. A nurse came in and removed the tube they stuck down her throat before asking how many fingers she was holding up to Mattie. She weakly responded two before putting an oxygen mask over her mouth.

"Welcome back, my love.", Ric said, stroking her hair.

He didn't want to tell Mattie about what had happened until she was feeling a little better in terms of state.

"All I can remember is me locked in the boot of Simon's car before I could feel it spinning, then nothing."

"He crashed the car into a tree.", said Ric

"Am I OK?", she said

"Well they had to operate on you.", he replied

"Is the baby OK?", Mattie then spoke and the look on Ric's face said it all "No, please don't..."

"Sorry Mattie, the baby died.", he commented "And there's something else you need to know."

Mattie was starting to fear the worst and Ric confirmed it,

"While you were in the theatre, you went into cardiac arrest.", he said "This was because you suffered severe damage to your abdomen. In order to ensure it didn't result in a relapse, they had to remove your appendix, meaning..."

"I can't have chidren?", Mattie interrupted

Ric just nodded his head and said "You've become infertile."

"I'm sorry Mattie, it was only way to effectively save your life.", added Rachel as she came into the room

Mattie was shocked and absolutely aghast

"No....No! No! No!", she started to say "This can't be true. We want to have children. I want to have children."

"Mattie, we're going to get through this, I promise.", Ric replied

Then she completly lost the plot, "How can it be?", she yelled "Get out. The pair of you."

"I know this comes as a shock to you but try and register what Ric is saying.", said Rachel, trying to calm her down.

"Get out.", she said again

"Mattie.", Ric demanded

"JUST...GET...OUT!...NOW!", screamed Mattie at the top of her voice "JUST...LEAVE...ME...ALONE!"

Without saying a word, Ric and Rachel both left and closed the door behind. Mattie threw one of her bed pillows across the room and started to cry her eyes out! This really hurt!

Coming Up in Chapter 33

Mattie's back home but is she fully recovered yet?

Please comment!

Chapter 33

It was about another few days or so until Mattie was finally discharged from hospital. She had forgiven Ric for having a go at him, saying it was just in the heat of the moment.

However she still didn't feel any better over what had happened,

"Everything just doesn't seem right.", Mattie said to Belle when she visited her in rehab. Belle had been admitted there after a drug overdose.

"I think its just a case of these things happen.", Belle replied

"Either way.", Mattie said back "I think I wasn't meant to marry Ric. Since I have, nothing has really gone the way I want it, excluding the honeymoon of course."

"But you guys can get past anything.", responded Belle "Ric doesn't want to give up and I don't think you should as well."

What Belle said did convince Mattie to at least give it another try. But memories of Simon still haunted her, for several days she couldn't eat properly or sleep well enough. It finally took its toll one morning when Ric came downstairs to a alarming sight...

...he found Mattie on the floor of the kitchen, struggling to breathe! After calling Rachel for help, it was clear that the stress Mattie had put herself through caused a panic attack. There was really only one solution to end the nightmare...visit Simon...in prison!

The visit was Charlie's idea. It would at least try and get them to reach an understanding.

"So how are you?", asked Simon in the visitors lounge

"I lost the baby.", she replied "And I can't have children anymore."

"I'm sorry.", Simon responded "I never meant to hurt you physically. It was just that the cops came out of the blue and I had no plan B."

"Just promise you never come near me again when you come out.", Mattie said

"Absolutely.", he replied "And this time I mean it. Because I am never planning to return to the bay at all once I'm released."

The plan had worked. Simon and Mattie had reached the understanding. Mattie could no longer worry about Simon again and she and Ric could now get on with their lives.

Coming Up in Chapter 34

Ric is finally able to tell Mattie their inheritance in Martha's will. But its her 19th birthday present that leaves her overjoyed.

Does anyone have any comments?

Chapter 34

"There's something I have to show you.", Ric told Mattie "It's about our cut of Martha's will. I was going to say it weeks ago but following the accident, I thought I would wait until you recovered."

"Hope it's something decent.", replied Mattie

Ric showed her the passage he had photocopied from the original,

Ric and Mattie,

To you I leave something that will get married life off and running for you. At the time of writing this, I would have almost certainly completed the purchase of the farm that used to be owned by the Campbell family. The owners after them had run into financial trouble and it went up onto the market. Necessarily you don't need to start a business there but it will create a home for yourselves.

"All you need to do is sign your half of the deed to the place and we can move in as soon as.", Ric said

So Mattie did. And a few days later they received permission to move. On Mattie's 19th birthday. And they didn't need to worry about the furniture as that was already in place, having been rebought from the repossession lot. Mattie just had one question though,

"If we don't want to begin a business here, what are we going to do with all of the acres of field?", she said to Ric

"Which brings us to my present.", was his reply

He led Mattie, blindfolded, into a stable

"It really smells in here.", said Mattie. It had been years and years since she had been near farm property.

"Well you better get used to it.", Ric responded.

"Happy birthday.", he said before removing Mattie's blindfold and she was stunned at the sight in front of her.

In her childhood years, when she was raised on a farm, she had grown a passion for horses. Ric had seen this come to light in recent months on both their camping trip with Cassie and their honeymoon.

So using half of their wedding money and the two thousand dollars Mattie got through the insurance of her scooter, Ric bought her a horse. It was a black friesian mare.

"Oh my god!", said Mattie "I can't believe you done this."

"What my girl wants is what my girl gets.", he replied

Mattie was probably the most overjoyed she had been in months. She wanted to try and put the fields of grass surrounding them in their new home to good use and now that could be.

Coming Up in Chapter 35

Someone's life in the bay is in danger. Mattie and Ric abruptly become part of the rescue plan, but is it too late to save the person?

Your comments?

Chapter 35

Mattie and Ric were undoubtely enjoying life in their new home. Ric would obviously be usually in the house combining by continuing to work in his shifts at the surf club bar whilst Mattie would mostly be spending time with her horse, which she named Princess.

Of course didn't stop Mattie always going out on her own, as long as everything was securely safe.

Trouble though was about to break out. A new person, Gardy, had arrived in town. He was an old friend of Roman's back in the latter's army days. However he come to try and get Roman to go on a crime spree and Roman had to comply otherwise he would break out the dark secret of Roman letting someone die when on active duty in Afghanistan.

This had eventually gotten too much for Roman and he tried to issue a plea bargain, he won't tell anyone about the crimes if Gardy left town and never came back. That was non-negotiable and Gardy responded by kidnapping Roman and holding him captive in an abandonded shed until he admitted he will go to the police and tell the truth about what happened in the army.

"I won't tell anyone", Roman said to Gardy "You're wasting your time doing this."

"Really.", Gardy replied "I don't think so."

There was though an unlikely hero in this escapade, Mattie! As she was out riding Princess, she passed the shed and overhead the argument. Knowing that one of the people inside was Roman, she knew she had to contact the police.

Mattie galloped back home, called the police on her mobile and contacting Ric too before taking her car back to the crime site. A few minutes later, two police cars also arrived, with Charlie, Angelo, Ric, Miles and Nicole in tow.

"How did you know?", asked Ric

"I was just taking Princess out for a ride and heard something going on in the shed. So I rushed back, got her back in the stable before making the calls.", Mattie replied

Two other police officers, joined by Angelo and Miles helped break down the door. Realising they were there to help, Roman knocked Gardy to the floor with a nearby shovel and made his escape. However Gardy grabbed hold of his shotgun...

...and shot Roman in the stomach!

Roman collapsed horribly wounded. The two police officers along with Angelo set off after Gardy whilst Charlie called for an ambulance and another squad car to be dispatched. However it was to be too late...

"Always remember me!", said Roman weakly

"Dad please, you can't do this to me.", an emotional Nicole replied

"You've...just...to...accept...I'm...not...going...to...make...it.", he replied

"Look the ambulance will be here soon. It will be fine.", she said back

But that was that. Roman passed away in Nicole's arms. And all that everyone could do was just stand in silence as Nicole sobbed, cradling her father's dead body.

Coming Up in Chapter 36

Can Mattie help Nicole through her grief?

Comments, please!

Chapter 36

A week had passed since Roman's passing and there was no sign of Nicole. She had spent the weekend in the city for the funeral but on the day she was meant to come back, she didn't

It would all day and all night before there was anything. It was that night when Mattie, driving back home, saw something strange looking at the cemetery. It was Nicole. She had spent all night in the lashing rain by her dad's grave, his coffin having being transported back to the bay earlier that day. She was wet, cold and miserable.

"So this is where you've been.", Mattie said to Nicole

"Forgive me for being like this.", she replied "But I can't believe this has all happened."

"No one is angry for you are doing.", Mattie said back "We were just worried about your behaviour."

"It's just that I always have my dad around for support.", Nicole commented "Now I have no one to turn to."

As Nicole began to cry again, Mattie comforted her. She took Nicole back to her place.

"She was at the cemetery all night and is absoultely upset.", Ric told Miles over the phone "If it's OK with you, Mattie suggested that she stayed at our house until she has fully recouperated."

"That's fine.", replied Miles "I know Roman said if anything happened to him that I was to look after her but I think it is best if you two looked after her until she is ready."

"Excellent.", said Ric "Mattie will pick up the stuff she needs tomorrow."

Next day, after Mattie had returned had from Summer Bay House

"Thanks for all this guys.", said Nicole

"Not a problem.", responded Ric

"We just thought you might need a little company.", Mattie added "And as we said, you can stay with us until you feel confident enough to move back."

Coming Up in Chapter 37

Nicole and Mattie take another step closer to becoming friends.

Please comment!

Chapter 37

(Note: Ric doesn't appear in this chapter. Thought I have to have at least one chapter without him or Mattie getting a good mention i.e. given speech)

As Nicole continued her stay at Ric & Mattie's farmhouse, the bond between her and Mattie was becoming stronger.

They had begun to constantly spend time together, both in and out of the home, when Nicole wasn't in school. Mattie was obviously rather surprised at the outcome, when Nicole first arrived in the bay over a year ago, they didn't really get along. Now they were becoming best mates all of a sudden.

It was continually showed too when Nicole would often help Mattie in grooming Princess.

"You are so lucky to have her.", Nicole would usually say to Mattie "I've obviously seen photos of horses from time to time and Friesian horses are by far the most beautiful."

"Yeah.", would be Mattie's reply "You do keep forgetting to realise me and Ric had a huge clump of money from our wedding so it made it very affordable."

Soon, Nicole began to feel that she was ready to return back to Summer Bay House in a few days from then. But she wanted to do one thing first before she was all set to leave.

One day, Nicole saw Mattie getting ready to take Princess out for another ride. Finding a spare pair of riding boots and a helmet, Nicole put them on and then jumped onboard behind Mattie. The sudden jolt caused by it took Mattie by surprise.

"Nic what are doing here?", asked Mattie, turning around to find Nicole sat behind her.

"I know this seems a little unrehearsed.", replied Nicole "But I want to at least join you out on a ride."

"Well, since you have been helping me take care in her, this does seem more than fair.", Mattie said back "Just hold on tight!"

So with Nicole clutching hold of Mattie's waist, they set off into the surrounding fields, getting faster and faster. Both girls were having fun.

"That was absolutely fantastic.", said Nicole once they had finished "How do you manage to get her to gallop so fast."

"Experience, I guess.", Mattie commented "Glad you enjoyed it."

"Now we're even.", replied Nicole "Hope we can always remain friends when I leave."

"Indeed. I think we've both enjoyed each others company these last few days.", Mattie responded.

Coming Up in Chapter 38

Summer Bay is rocked by a terrible bus accident.

Please leave comments!

Chapter 38

Though it was little bit sad to see Nicole leave for home, Ric & Mattie were relieved to have their house to themselves again.

"I suppose we look on the bright side that its just us two again.", Ric said to Mattie

"Yeah.", replied Mattie "But I we think we enjoyed having her around."

Meanwhile, more trouble was brewing. The Summer Bay High students were on a bush hike and were about to make their way back. However one of them, Trey Palmer, was using it to plot revenge against everyone.

Nicole had dumped Trey when he admitted to making a sex tape of them which was shown in public a few days before Nicole's dad, Roman, died. Despite his apologies, he was publicly humiliated in front of the school and now wanted payback.

His plan was simple. To make them suffer in misery and pain. He secretly planted two bombs under the bus, the main bomb in the centre which was timed to 1 hour 30 minutes and a second on the rim of the rear left wheel where he would press a button to detonate it leading to the main explosion.

The students had set off back home without Trey who had hidden in the bushes after tricking everyone into thinking he was with them. At the back of the bus, Nicole suddenly found a note saying,

TO MY ONE AND ONLY

unfolding it, it then stated

THINK ABOUT YOU AND EVERYONE'S LIFE AND EVERYTHING YOU HAVE ALL DONE!

And has fate would have predicted it, Trey in his hideout location pressed the button and the wheel bomb detonated. The tyre blewout and with no overall steering, the bus veered out of control, rolled down an embankment before coming to a rest in the fields, near Ric & Mattie's farmhouse.

Both were near to the site, as Mattie's car had broke down and Ric was just nearly completed in fixing it when they heard that almighty crash.

"What just happened?", asked Mattie

"Probably something sort of heavy vehicle gone over.", responded Ric

And they both got into the car, now fixed, and went to the crash site to see what was wrong.

Coming Up in Chapter 39

Who lives? Who dies?

Please comment!

Chapter 39

The bus had ended up on it's side and when Ric and Mattie arrived they were horrified to discover what was tacked onto it...the bomb! And it was ticking fast

0:28:51

0:28:50

0:28:49

Fortunately no one was seriously injured, except for the unfortunate bus driver, he had died instantly, the students were just in shock and some had cuts and bruises and few had some broken bones. John Palmer, Trey's dad, kicked the door down and Ric immediantely alerted him of the bomb. Panic broke out and immediantely using tools from his mechanic box, Ric began to attempt to defuse the bomb as Mattie, Hugo (who had turned up after also noticing the scene), Kirsty and Principal Bartlett (who had been called by John after he assisted in getting Jai to hospital after he collapsed due to exhaustion after he and Annie took the wrong route on the hike).

Nearly all of the students were freed, when Ric finally managed to cut the wires to the bomb. Only Nicole was now left, her side had taken the full force and a twisted piece of metal around her leg meant she was stuck. Bartlett and Hugo finally got the piece loose when...

...suddenly...the bomb started ticking down again

0:00:13

0:00:12

0:00:11

"Why is this happening?", said Ric

"He's set in a secondary.", replied John, realising Trey was behind this

0:00:07

0:00:06

0:00:05

Ric realised there was no way he could stop it.

"Everyone get down now!", he yelled and....BANG!...the bomb went off...Hugo had just managed to get of the bus before the explosion, avoiding injury, but Bartlett, carrying Nicole was thrown from the force and landed on the ground, hard. Both were seriously injured.

A few days later, bad news came through

"What happened?", Miles asked Rachel when he saw doctors wheeling away a person covered in white sheets

"I'm sorry, Miles.", replied Rachel "Martin died. He suffered an embolism of the spine."

Miles was shocked. Trey's meddling had killed the principal of Summer Bay High!

Coming Up in Chapter 40

Can Mattie and Ric convince Nicole she wasn't to blame for the tragedy

Your comments?

Don't worry, there is only going to be one more death after the bus crash storyline. Then that's it. They'll obviously may be moments when people's lives will be on the line but no more will die between then and the end of the fic!

Chapter 40

All of the students were shocked after the sudden death of Bartlett. Most notably Nicole.

"I'm so sorry.", she said "This is all my fault."

"Nic, it isn't your fault.", replied Mattie "What happened was just a case of pure madness."

"The cops will catch him. I'm sure of it.", added Ric

But this wasn't very convincing to Nicole. She knew Trey could easily avade capture and there could be a possibilty he could sneak into the hospital and finish the job.

"It's got to be very tough her recently.", Ric said to Mattie. Then he noticed Mattie had stopped by the door of Nicole's room and asked "What's wrong?". They both looked inside, to find an empty bed! She had gone.

"She was only in there 10 minutes ago.", Rachel told them

"Well she isn't there now.", replied Ric

"Then she must have discharged herself and I wasn't informed", she said back

Immediantely, Ric, Mattie and Miles began to look for Nicole. They search all across the bay, calling out her name, but with no luck.

Eventually, Mattie found her...near the edge of a cliff!

"There you are.", she said to her "Why aren't you in hospital."

"I can't.", said Nicole "This is where I want to be."

Mattie realised what Nicole was planning to do.

"Please don't tell me you're serious about this.", Mattie asked

"Yes I am.", replied Nicole "I've been nothing but trouble since I came here. It's time I got what I deserve."

Nicole took a deep breath...and began to make the plunge!

"Nic NO!", yelled Mattie. She ran towards her...and just as Nicole's feet left the ground...Mattie grabbed hold of her hand!

Coming Up in Chapter 41

Mattie tries to convince Nicole not to go through with her suicide attempt.

Please comment!

Archived