We Belong Together

Guest baymaniac

Chapter 41

Nicole was attempting to kill herself through jumping off a cliff but her plan had indeed gone awry. After being foiled by Mattie, she still attempted to through with it but just as she was about to do so, Mattie grabbed hold of her hand to stop the fall and Nicole was now dangling over the clifftop.

"Are you insane?", Mattie told Nicole

"No.", Nicole replied "Let go."

"No I won't.", said Mattie

"It's easy. Just release your grip and let me die!", Nicole responded

"Then that will count as assited suicide and I'll go to jail.", Mattie said back

Now Nicole was reverting to more desperate plans, using her one free hand for extra grip, she went to bite Mattie's arm so it ensure that she would let go but Mattie had gathered it already before she could.

"Don't you dare!", she demanded.

Mattie then knew if she wanted Nicole to back out of this, things had to be done the hard way. She began to describe about their recently formed friendship and that good things she still has in life. Finally this gave Nicole the strength to climb back up.

Mattie took Nicole back to hospital. Ric and Miles were waiting there after having been contacted by her.

"Where did you find her?", asked Miles

"On top of a cliff.", replied Mattie "Trying to kill herself!"

"Why?", added Ric

"I think it was because she still felt that she was to blame for what happened.", commented Mattie.

Coming Up in Chapter 42

Which well known resident admits he or she has cancer? (hint hint: this begins the build up to the last character death in the fanfic, you'll be relieved by)

Please post your comments!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Note: These next three chapters may contain character spoilers for fans outside Australia. I didn't say this in my first post when I started 'cause I didn't know then when in the fic I would begin this storyline.

Chapter 42

After the turbulations of the bus tragedy and the resulting death of Mr Bartlett, things finally started to settle down for everyone in the bay.

There was though someone who still fighting a life battle. Belle had been diagnosed with a terminal form of cancer. She had only been given months to live as it was at an advanced stage. She couldn't bear to tell anyone until she was caught by Nicole taking pain killers. And when Aden suspected something was going on, finally this had to come out in the open.

Gathering Irene, Annie, Geoff, Ric and Mattie at her and Aden's apartment, the news was to be finally broken,

"I admit that I haven't been honest recently.", said Belle

"What do you mean?", Geoff asked

"The truth is...", she replied "I have cancer."

Everyone was shocked

"Surely it can't be bad.", said Ric

"It is Ric. It's terminal.", responded Belle

"How long have you got left, love?", asked Irene

"It's hard to tell.", said Belle "Months, weeks. The fact is I'm dying. And there's nothing anyone can do about it."

Overcome with emotion, Mattie left and Ric followed her. This was all too much for Mattie, her friend was terminally ill. Ric found Mattie in the middle of the surf, sobbing frantically and not caring that her jeans and shoes were getting drenched. Ric picked Mattie up and hugged her as she continued crying. No words could simply describe what kind of pain Belle or anyone close to her would have to go through now.

Coming Up in Chapter 43

Aden asks Ric, Mattie and Nicole to attend something important he's arranged at the surf club. What is it?

Your comments!

And apologies again if I forgot to note at the start of the fic that there was going to be the potential threat of a spoiler.

Chapter 43

It was a couple of days since Belle had confessed to her nearest and dearest that she had cancer. No one knew how long until she would finally lose out.

Realising it was a case of now or never, Aden knew he had something to do involving her, before it was too late.

"Hey guys, are you all avaliable this afternoon.", he said to Mattie, Ric and Nicole when he saw then together at the diner.

"No, why?", asked Ric

"Oh, it's just I wanted you all to meet me at the surf club at 2pm.", Aden replied "It's a surprise. You'll just have to wait and see."

This left them all curious. They still all turned up that day and found Aden inside, alone, wearing a suit.

"Thanks for coming.", he said to them

"So what's this surprise?", said Nicole

Just then, Belle entered, wearing a white dress

"Guys, you know Belle hasn't got long left to live.", said Aden "So we decided to get married today. And you three are going to act as witnesses."

A very low-key ceremony, Aden and Belle did indeed tie the knot. They didn't bother about planning a honeymoon together, so that she could spend her last few days or weeks near to her closest.

Then a few days after the wedding, drama struck. Deciding to take a walk for some fresh air, Belle suddenly collapsed. She was found by Nicole and Mattie who took her to hospital.

"Is she OK?", Mattie asked Rachel

"Her condition is now at a much more advanced stage than we first thought.", she replied "We reckon she's got just less than 48 hours to live. But we will discharge so she can pass away at home in accordance to her wishes."

The two girls indeed struggled to digest the news of that in less than 2 days time, their friend will be gone.

Coming Up in Chapter 44

It's a sad day in Summer Bay as Belle breathes her last. (That's it then. No more deaths in this fanfic after her. Like I promised)

Your comments?

Chapter 44

For the final hours of her life, Belle was now consigned to her bed in her & Aden's apartment.

She had organised for Irene, Annie, Geoff, Ric, Mattie, Nicole and Amanda (who had returned after hearing news) to come round, wanting to spend her final hours in their company.

"I don't know what will happen now.", Aden said to everyone "It's like a ticking time bomb, waiting to go off."

Then Amanda came downstairs and said "She wants to see everyone one by one."

It soon emerged Belle had a parting gift for each and every one. She didn't want a will. One by one, they came into the room and Belle gave them what she was offering

Geoff was given her laptop.

Annie received one of her smart dresses and Belle said she would pass on her whole line of smart clothes to her.

Irene was given a letter and instructed to pass it Aden when the time was right.

Nicole was given her digital camera.

Then when Ric came in, she gave him a pair of keys.

"Your car?", Ric said surprised

"Well you've been there when someone was in trouble on the road now and again.", said a very weak Belle "So I want you to have it."

Finally, she came to Mattie.

"Your really giving this to me.", a tearful Mattie asked. Belle had given Mattie her favourite necklace.

"You've really have been the incredible friend I could ever ask.", replied Belle

Hours later, the end was nearing, Belle was slipping in and out of consciousness.

"How could this end all of a sudden?", Aden said next to Belle. Amanda, Mattie and Irene were also at her side at the time.

"Promise...me...you'll...always...remember...me.", replied Belle. It would turn out to be her last words. Before this, Belle had given Aden her wedding ring.

Aden then began talk about all the possibilities they could have done as a married couple. Then he stopped and called her name a few times but there was no response. He checked to see she was still breathing but the sudden reality immediantely dawned "She's gone.", he whispered. Belle died at 3:17am.

Amanda and Irene could nothing but look on in grief. Mattie exited the room and went downstairs. She was immediantely comforted by Ric as he saw the flood of tears down her face. Back in the room, Aden was now all by himself. He gave Belle one final kiss on the cheek. It was a sad end for someone well respected in this town.

Coming Up in Chapter 45

There's a new girl in the bay who has her sights set on Ric.

Thoughts?

Chapter 45

It had been days since Belle's funeral. Aden was struggling undobutely struggling to cope without the love of his life and those closest to her were also still in depressed state that what had happened, had indeed happened.

Mattie was extremely withdrawn,

"You sure you're OK.", Ric said to her

"Yeah, I'm fine.", she replied

"It's just that you've been fragile since Belle died.", he responded "You've hardly talked. Not really haven't put a smile on your face."

Mattie knew she just had to get out of the house,

"Where are you going?", asked Ric

"Going out for a ride.", Mattie said, heading towards Princess' stable

After a few seconds, Ric followed her in

"I am your husband you know.", he said "I do have a right to be concerned you know."

"All right, fine.", replied Mattie "You're right, I haven't been myself these last few days. But you've got to admit this is a very difficult time."

Ric agreed and they kissed before he exited back into the house.

Their happiness was soon to be potenially shattered. A new girl, Indigo Walker, had arrived in the bay along with her family. It was clear she was going to be a troublemaker from the start and although Ric didn't see this at the start, she had her eyes firmly set on Ric.

Ric only began to realise he had a secret admirer when he received a strange text saying,

HEY. WHERE ARE U?

He knew someone was spying on him. But how long would it last?

Coming Up in Chapter 46

Mattie realises Indigo wants Ric.

Please comment!!!

Chapter 46

It didn't take long for Ric to realise that Indigo was behind the love texts. And as luck would have it one day, they had a run in at the diner.

"I know you're doing this.", said Ric

"Oh so you're the guy I've been wanting to meet.", she replied

"You should know I am married.", he responded

"Well that shouldn't last too long.", Indigo commented

Ric exited but the next day as he returned home from work, with no one inside, he suddenly saw Indigo inside. She had somehow managed to break in through the window and was lying in their bed.

"Hello, gorgeous.", she said

But before she could make her move, she was out of the door, manhandled by Ric.

"Next time you do that, I'll shop you to the cops for trespassing.", he shouted

Then Mattie showed up, having returned from the diner.

"Oh so this is your so-called wife.", she said

"For your information we've been hitched for eight months now.", Mattie replied

This clearly wasn't over. A few days later, Mattie came into a confrontation with Indigo

"Ric's told me everything.", Mattie said "Give it up now or face the consequences."

"Shut up.", Indigo said back "He doesn't love you. I score triple in the looks department."

Mattie took this as an offence,

"What did you just say?", she angrily demanded

"You don't deserve him.", Indigo replied "I have the face and the charm. You have nothing."

"THAT'S IT!", Mattie shouted

The argument erupted into a vicious catfight!

Ric and Nicole eventually managed to break it up. "You may have won this round.", Indigo said to Mattie "But I'll be back!"

Coming Up in Chapter 47

Will a plan to psyche out Mattie that goes horribly wrong give Indigo second thoughts?

Comments, please!

Chapter 47

Indigo had vowed to Mattie that she would be back. And she didn't lie.

Going into the fields surrounding the farmhouse, she dug up a small hole of earth and then placed a twig over it. Then she hid in the bushes and waited for the trap to be catapulted.

About half an hour later, Mattie, aboard Princess, came to where Indigo had set the trap. Indigo's face behind the bush was one of smug as she knew it was about to happen. One of the horse's hooves snapped the twig, totally spooking it out.

"Whoa, girl!", yelled Mattie, caught out by the sudden movement. It was too late for her to bring Princess under control. She reared up throwing her off.

Indigo was shocked. This was not the plan. She just wanted to give Mattie the scare of her life. And she just fled without anyone looking.

Fortunately, Nicole had just turned up and spotted Mattie on the ground, looking hurt.

"Are you OK?", rushing to her side.

"It's my arm.", Mattie replied "It hurts."

Nicole managed to get Princess back into the stable, before then taking Mattie to hospital. There was no serious injury to Mattie's left arm, it was just some light bruising on it.

"What happened?", asked Ric

"I don't know.", said Mattie "Everything was going fine and then all of a sudden she just freaked out and reared. There was nothing I could do."

Ric soon knew Indigo was behind this

"I'm sorry. All I wanted to do was to scare her.", she told Ric "I didn't plan to hurt her."

"You're very lucky because it could have easily been worse.", Ric said to her.

This certainly gave Indigo food for thought. She secretly saw Ric tend to Mattie and realised the truth. They really did belong together. She later sent Ric a text saying that she apologised for everything and wouldn't bother him again.

"Don't worry. She's out of our lives now.", Ric said to Mattie later at home

Next day when Ric had left for work. Mattie looked up a website on her laptop. Then she made a call.

"Hi. This is Matilda Hunter-Dalby.", she said "I'd like an application form to enter one of your events."

Coming Up in Chapter 48

What has Mattie applied for? Will it set her future?

Your thoughts!

Chapter 48

If Mattie wasn't going to university she realised that she had to do something in order to give her something she accomplished.

Thus she had made the rather brave decision to attempt to become a professional rider in dressage! Since she successfully applied for the national Dressage Festival in Melbourne, Victoria, she had spent most of her days practising dressage movements on a horse riding simulator she hired before then attempting it for real on Princess.

She hadn't told Ric this but he soon found out. He came home one day to a empty house and noticed a letter. It was the details about Mattie's application to the event.

"You're back early.", she said

"Why didn't you tell me about this dressage event?", Ric told her

"Oh Ric I'm sorry. I should have done.", Mattie realised "The truth is if I'm not going to uni, I need to something. And if I really love horses, this is the ideal way."

The plan was simple. Mattie wanted to do this competition to prove if she was good enough and take it from there. She had entered for the under-21 novice class of the festival.

The day of the contest arrived. Ric had invited Miles, Tony and Nicole to the event, knowing Mattie would need some support. Mattie was drawn to compete last and she was just too nervous to be told of any of the other competitor's scores.

Finally it was nearly her turn,

"How do you feel?", Ric asked her in the waiting enclosure.

"This is going to so tense but exciting.", she replied as she mounted Princess Tilly. (Mattie wanted to give the horse a second name so it could be easily recogniseable hence she decided on Tilly, her name for short in the early years.)

"Whatever happens, I'm proud of you.", Ric said back

"Thank you.", Mattie responded "I knew you'd come to your senses."

It was now time. The announcer said:-

"Ladies and gentleman, our last competitor in today's under-21 novice competition. Please welcome into the arena, riding Princess Tilly, Matilda Hunter-Dalby."

And when Mattie began her routine, it was clear the training had paid off. All of her figures were close to perfect or spot on. Once it ended, the judges scores flashed up. She had scored 76.923%, and was declared the winner. Mattie was overfilled with emotion, she had won on her first attempt.

"Hey, you were absolutely brilliant.", Nicole told her.

"It was a team effort.", Mattie replied "I gave the aids. Princess responded."

"I'm sure Beth would be proud of you right now.", said Tony.

"Certainly.", Mattie agreed "I think this is going to be just beginning of something new."

Coming Up in Chapter 49

Is another natural disaster about to strike Summer Bay?

Give me comments please!!

I'm still here, don't think because six chapters had character spoilers believe you can't post comments. There are no further spoilers to this fanfic so I would strongly recommend you start posting comments again.

Chapter 49

The day after the contest, Mattie undoubtely found herself as the hero of the bay.

"Did you see the front of the paper today.", Nicole said to her.

"You mean I got on the front cover.", replied Mattie

Nicole showed her the front of that morning's Coastal News. The headline was,

LOCAL GIRL PROVES SHE HAS HORSE POWER

Reading the first part of the article,

A local youngster from Summer Bay has made a thrilling impact on her first equestrian competition outing. Matilda Hunter-Dalby, 19, left everyone stunned as she won the under-21 novice dressage class at the National Dressage Festival in Melbourne, Victoria by more than a 15 percentage score with her friesian mare, Princess Tilly. She may now could be a possible contender to compete for Australia in the 2012 Olympic Games in London should she have made the quick transition to being a professional competitor by then.

"Bit overeactive thinking I could be in the next Olympics.", Mattie then said

"I think they just want to get their hopes up.", Ric then said

It would probably still take several weeks and possibly a month or so for Mattie to decide what to do next. But it course wouldn't stop her from keeping up with her dressage training. As the saying goes, Practice makes Perfect.

Just over a week later, a potential disaster was starting to brew. The windspeed was slowly picking up, the air was getting humid and torrential downpour had just struck.

Ric picked up the phone. It was Alf.

"Hi Grandad, what's the problem?", Ric said

"Just wanted you know.", Alf replied "I've just checked with the coastguard over this potential storm tonight and they've raised it to a Category 5."

"What does that mean?", Ric said back, worried

"We're about to face the onslaught of Hurricane Brandon.", said Alf "It's already caused havoc in the pacific islands and if it remains at its current speed and force, it's going to hit the bay in just over an hour from now!"

Ric of course had to alert Mattie. He went into the stable pen where he saw Mattie riding her horse simulator (now having bought it properly thanks to the money she won). Mattie saw something was seriously wrong from the look on Ric's face and stopped immediantely.

"What's happened?", she asked

"There's a hurricane coming.", replied Ric "We've got an hour to prepare ourselves for it."

Coming Up in Chapter 50

Hurricane Brandon strikes Summer Bay at its strongest force. Is everyone going to make it through OK?

Please, Please, Please Comment!!!

Chapter 50

(NOTE: If this was in real life, this would be the 2009 season finale)

As the winds increased and the rain got heavier, the hurricane impact was almost imminent.

Fortunately, Ric and Mattie were prepared. They had sealed their house with a hurricane tent, which took several minutes to set up due to the high winds. They also boarded up the windows and double locked the doors incase the protection of the tent broke.

"I feared something like this would happen.", said Mattie

"Don't worry we're going to be OK.", Ric reassured

Then just at that moment, a massive surge of lightning flashed, the winds increased to their strongest pace and all of the lights went out. Hurricane Brandon had arrived with a bang, bringing down an electricity pole, knocking out the power across Summer Bay.

Ric's mobile phone then rang. It was Miles

"You haven't seen Nicole haven't you?", he asked

"No. Why?", said Ric

"It's just that she said she was going to your house but that was like 2 hours ago.", Miles said

"Sorry Miles, we haven't but we'll let you know if so.", Ric replied

Ric and Mattie then heard a voice in the distance crying out for help. Unlocking the front door, they rushed outside to investigate, by which time the wind and the rain had eased off but was still threatening. They were horrified to discover it was Nicole, stationed atop a bush.

"What on earth are you doing up there?", asked Ric

"I came to see you guys about the hurricane and I tripped over a falling tree. I was trapped and I climbed up this tree because it was the only shelter I have.", she scarely replied

"Remain calm, Ric's just going to get something from the shed.", Mattie told her.

Ric returned with a wooden ladder, so if the telegraph pole came down all of a sudden, there would be no shock caused. Mattie held the ladder in position and Nicole very gingerly climbed down, soaked but safe.

But it wasn't over, as Mattie was hoisting the ladder away from the tree...

...the telegraph pole was struck by lightning...

...it came down with its wires catching a small metal latch on the ladder...

...the connection generated sparks...

...AND MATTIE WAS ELECTROCUTED!!!

She yelled in pain as bolts of electric went in and out of her body. Finally she let go and fell to the floor, landing in a mud puddle.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!", screamed Ric. He rushed over to his wife's side. She had no pulse.

Coming Up in Chapter 51

Mattie is fighting for her life!

Would you please comment! (Sorry if I'm getting desperate now!)

Archived