We Belong Together

Guest baymaniac

Chapter 21

These next few weeks would stressful indeed for Mattie. Not only did have to deal with being pregnant, the HSC exams were approaching fast. All she could think about was what happened last year when she ran out and ended up requesting in being held back a year.

As if things weren't tough enough already, she and Ric had to come to terms with some terrible news. Martha (who was now released from prison after serving just 3 weeks of her sentence after second examinations proved that Sam did indeed kill herself) had been diagnosed with breast cancer that was at an advanced stage. It was unclear yet whether she years or months left to live.

The first day of the exams arrived,

"All ready to go?", Ric asked

Mattie was still clearly in a confused state "Yeah, I think so."

She arrived at school and into the exam room. Whilst Principal Bartlett was going over the exam conditions, her trust in herself would now be put into question. Her head said that she wasn't up to it. But her heart told her to do it. As the exam began...she went with her heart and didn't leave.

In fact, to her surprise, she actually went ahead with all of the exams.

The fornight's of tests were finally over and that day they finished, Mattie was surprised to see Ric standing outside.

"What are you doing here?", she asked

"I heard you did it.", replied Ric "I want to show you something."

He took Mattie the the outside school parking area and there was green Ford Mondeo car.

"It's yours.", Ric told Mattie "All you just need is your provisional drivers license test which I've booked you in for, and then you're ready to go."

Mattie couldn't believe it. Ric had bought her a car.

"Why?", asked Mattie

"Because I'm proud of you.", said Ric "You deserve this regardless of your results."

Coming Up in Chapter 22

Results day arrives. Does Mattie pass the exams? And if so, does Ric have another surprise up his sleeve?

Post your comments!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 22

Things couldn't be much better for Mattie now. She managed to cope through the HSC exams and she also passed her provisional license test so she could drive her car on a 'P' license. Now she would face a nervous wait to find out whether she would pass or fail.

As the results day arrived

"I can't believe it's come to this.", she told Ric

"Like I said before.", he said back "Whatever you get, I'll be proud of you."

"But what if I don't get anything.", replied Mattie

"Well you'll still have me.", responded Ric

This indeed did reassure Mattie that things were going to turn out OK regardless of the exam outcome.

After a long wait in the school, she was called up by the exam deputy to collect her results card. But she didn't open it until outside. And when she did, she was amazed at the result. They were a mixture of A to D grades but she passed nearly all of the subjects.

She ran home, knocked on the door, Ric opened the door and she lept straight into his arms

"I passed! I passed! I passed!", she yelled repeatedly

"I knew you would.", Ric said

That night, Ric treated Mattie to a special candlelit dinner at home.

"Thank you for so supportive during this.", Mattie said to Ric

"Anything for you.", replied Ric

After a brief pause, Ric then began to speak again. It was clear he was getting ready to surprise again.

"Mattie", he said "I'm so glad you eventually took me back despite what happened with Viv. You are the only girl I want to be with in my life. So before give anymore of this away, have this."

And he presented Mattie a heart-shaped box, inside a gold diamond ring.

"Ric, it's beautiful.", she said "But why?"

"Sometimes you've got to make decisions that can change your life.", he replied "I feel that we've come to the stage that we have to start living our lives together the right way. I understand if you may feel that this is so rushed but I want to at least try it."

Then he got down on one knee...and popped the question!

"Matilda Hunter, will you do the honour in becoming my wife? Will you marry me?"

Coming Up in Chapter 23

What will Mattie say?

Your comments?

Chapter 23

Mattie was stunned at what had just happened, there was Ric knelt down having just asked for her hand in marriage. She was shocked, spechless and confused.

"Ric, I don't know.", she said "Do you think the time is right for this?"

"Absolutely.", he responded "Just say what you're heart is telling you to do."

And Mattie said nothing.

Ric got up and closed the box

"At least I tried.", he said

Then Mattie reopened the box and said "Yes!"

"Yes what?", was Ric's reply

"You should know, yes!", commented Mattie

But Ric still didn't understand

"Ric...OF COURSE I'LL MARRY YOU!", she explained

This made Ric delighted and he picked her up off her feet, twirled her around twice, before putting the ring on, and kissed!

"You've made me the happiest man on earth!", said Ric

"I love you so much.", replied Mattie

Without wasting any time, next evening they broke the news to everyone at the surf club, at a surprise engagement party that they didn't tell anyone about,

"OK everyone can I just have your attention for a few seconds.", Ric said "We have some good news to share to you."

"Does this explain why you got us all here?", commented Jack

"Mattie and I are engaged.", Ric said

"We're getting married.", Mattie excitedly added

The whole bar went into complete silence

"Well", said Tony, clearly taken aback "This is all so sudden, all I can say is congratulations."

"I knew this day would come for you two.", added Martha

Soon everyone was saying their congratulations. It took a while, but they were delighted they had now won the respect of the whole town.

Then a few days later, in bed, Mattie had something to say to Ric

"I've been thinking", she commented "If we love each other to death. Why wait?"

"So what do you want?", asked Ric

"Ric, how would you feel if I said we have the wedding in 3 weeks from now.", she replied "I'm confident we'll have everything arranged by then."

"It's a crazy idea. I'll give you that.", he said "But I suppose we could do it."

Coming Up in Chapter 24

Famous faces make some surprise returns as Ric and Mattie's big day arrives.

Your comments!

Chapter 24

The three weeks came and went and everything was nearly set for the big day.

Of course a Summer Bay wedding wouldn't be complete without the return of the old faces. Mattie was delighted to see Scott, Hayley and Kit return however Robbie and Tasha were unable to make it due to a flight strike in the US. Meanwhile Ric was just as pleased to see Sally return for the special day. Also, Cassie and Lucas were back as they were both on study break from university for the christmas period.

There would obviously be doubts as to whether Ric and Mattie could managed to plan the wedding in the limited space but they did. And instead of a church wedding, they opted to be married on the beach, at sunset. In terms of the bridal party, Mattie had selected Cassie, Belle and Martha as her bridesmaids whilst Ric chose Alf, Miles and Jack to be his best men.

"Who would have thought of it?", Cassie told Mattie on the day of the wedding "This time last year, you two were broken up and now you're about to become husband and wife."

"I know.", replied Mattie "It's been one heck of a year!"

"You set a date for your big day.", Ric asked Jack. Jack and Martha got engaged again during the 3 week period.

"Not yet.", said Jack "Perhaps maybe when you come back from your honeymoon and we will have made a decision."

The girls were now just about getting into the limo. Mattie had decided to get changed into her wedding dress inside the surf club, they had it all planned out.

"I just don't want Ric to see me in it until when we're on the beach.", she said

But disaster wasn't far away. As Mattie closed the door of Summer Bay House, the limo with Cassie, Belle and Martha inside. sped off. The girls tried to get the limo driver to stop but he didn't listen. Unbeknoweth to them or anyone, it was Simon Jeffries! He was back and out to spoil Ric and Mattie's big day.

"STOP! STOP! STOP!", yelled Mattie but it was too late. She was stranded. On this day of all days.

Meanwhile at the wedding venue, it still about an hour or so to go until things were scheduled to get underway.

"She is my life, grandad.", Ric told Alf "Now I'm finally getting what I deserve."

"I'm proud for you mate.", replied Alf "You two make a lovely couple."

Elsewhere, Mattie was seemingly in the middle of nowhere. The pressure of getting there on time was finally taking its toll and she sank to her knees, on the grass, and began to cry. She wanted everything to run perfectly. Now it was completely ruined.

Coming Up in Chapter 25

Can Mattie defy the odds and get to the wedding in time before Ric calls it off?

Your thoughts?

Chapter 25

(P.S. if this was in real life H&A, this would act as the 2008 season finale)

The limo arrived at the surf club. The plan was for the girls to get out and just enter the surf club without being spotted. But with Mattie absent, Ric had to be noted.

"There's something you need to know.", said Cassie to Ric "It's about Mattie."

"What? Has she got cold feet.", asked Ric

"No it's worse than that.", Belle replied "The limo left her behind. Now we don't where she is."

Remarkably, Ric remained calm. He wanted to give some time in case Mattie did show up but as the minutes ticked by and with no sign of her, Ric had admit defeat.

"Thank you all so much for coming here today. It's really appreciated.", Ric told the crowd "But unfortunately, due to circumstances that are even beyond my control.", he added "I'm afraid there isn't going to be a wedding today. I'm sorry."

Everyone was disappointed, then suddenly a girl's voice said "Since when?"

Everyone turned around and they saw it was Mattie! Against all odds, she had made it! Despite being several minutes late, Mattie was confident they could get the wedding done before nightfall.

And so they did. And when Mattie walked down the aisle, sporting her wedding dress, Ric was amazed at the sight of her. It made her look like a princess!

"Family, friends and other invited guests.", said the preist "We are all gathered here today to witness the joining of Matilda Harriet Jane Hunter and Eric James Dalby in holy matrimony."

"If anyone present today knows why this couple should not be wed at all for any reason, then let him or her speak now or forever hold their peace.", to their sigh of relief, no one said anything. Then after each reading a saying to each other, exchanging vows and rings came the speech they've were longing to hear.

"Matilda and Ric. In so you have agreed to you have describe your passion through sayings, promise that you spend the rest of your lives together through exchanging vows and pledged your love to one another by the givings of wedding rings. It now gives me great honour in official pronouncing you as husband and wife. You may now kiss the bride." Ric did so, and the entire crowd stood up and applauded.

The reception took place at the surf club and that night, Ric ushered Mattie outside to show her something. Giving her an envolope, Mattie said, "What is it?"

"Just have a look.", replied Ric.

Inside was a ticket pouch, Mattie knew it was their honeymoon. It was destinated to a Caribbean Cruise.

"Ric, I always wanted a cruise as my honeymoon.", she said

They kissed and Ric asked "So how does it feel to be Mrs Dalby now?"

Mattie replied "Actually, you mean Mrs Hunter-Dalby. I wanted to keep my old surname."

"Whatever you want. I have no problem about it.", Ric said back.

But there was further trouble lurking. Despite not being invited, Melody had turned up to try and win back Geoff. Obviously Geoff said that he had interest in her at all and that he was with Nicole now...

...and as Ric and Mattie were making there way back inside...

...KAAABOOOM!

The gym which Melody had been hiding in, exploded, she had covered it in petrol and flicked her lighter to set it off if Geoff failed to say that he still loved her. The blast threw Ric and Mattie to ground. They knew that it could soon easily spread to inside the reception.

Coming Up in Chapter 26

The race is on to get everyone out before the fire spreads rapidly. But someone won't make it out alive and dies in hospital?

Please comment!

(P.S. Apologies to Red Ranger 1 if I offended you by making Melody look evil. That was my plan)

Chapter 26

(P.S. if this was in real life H&A, this would act as the 2009 season return)

This was not clearly the ideal start that Ric and Mattie had to married life. The surf club gym had technically been blown up and now its flames were starting to creep into the bar.

Ric started by trying to break down the front doors of the surf club. A hard job to do as they had been locked from the inside.

"Don't just stand there, help me.", he yelled to Mattie

But Mattie didn't move. The fire was bringing back memories of the past. Images of Zoe blowing up Jack & Martha's wedding reception and her that night wriving in sheer pain and agony with the floor on fire flashed before her eyes. She was clearly petrified and ran away as quick as she could.

Geoff had come round after having been briefly knocked out from the blast and was trying to free open the bar doors, when he did, Alf, Miles and Tony went first so they could help Ric unlock the front doors. Just as they did. BANG! An explosive device went off in the storeroom, throwing alcohol and debris everywhere. Now the whole building was ablaze. As bottles and glasses exploded left, right and centre, spraying everyone with its chards, the threesome, joined by Ric and Scott started getting everyone to safety.

Whilst most of the people were treated for minor cuts and burns, others were in life-threatning conditions, most of all Belle, Martha, Nicole and Jai.

"How could someone do such a thing?", asked Jack

"Don't worry mate, they'll catch the mongrel who did this!", replied Alf

Then Alf saw Ric on the phone. He was trying to call Mattie.

"Still no word?", he said

"Nope.", commented Ric "I think she was too scared over something in the past."

Mattie had fled to Summer Bay House, all she was just doing was being sat at the table, completely slient.

Back at the hospital, the alarms started to go off in someone's room.

"We're losing her.", said one of the nurses. Then the horrible sound of a flatline was heard.

(this next scene is done as if it was in the show)

Several minutes later, Rachel came out the room

"Is she OK?", asked Tony

"I'm sorry.", replied Rachel "I'm afraid she passed away a few minutes ago."

Everyone in the corridors was either crying or had tears in their eyes as the news began to spread, whilst another nurse pulled a white sheet over the body of Martha! Having already been affected by cancer, the injuries and smoke inhalation worsened her condition and now she was dead!

Coming Up in Chapter 27

The residents bid farewell to Martha in a moving funeral.

Your comments?

Chapter 27

Ric had no choice but to tell Mattie the bad news.

"What happened?", she said as she saw Ric have tears in his eyes

"She's dead.", he said "Martha. She's gone."

And in a rather uncontrollable manner, Mattie collapsed into Ric's arms and cried as hard as she ever had before.

Jack was also of course shattered by Martha's death

"Why Martha?", he said to Tony

"She was suffering from cancer.", Tony told him "Rachel did say it contributed to her death. But still its a huge shock, even I never thought it end like this and so soon too."

Elsewhere whilst everyone was grieving for Martha, in terms of the others who needed a good amount of treatment, Jai and Nicole had escaped with severe but not permanent burns whilst Belle had suffered terrible injuries to both her legs. Fortunately, a double amputation was not needed but she would have to be consigned to a wheelchair until most of the major damage had healed and she had undergone physiotherapy.

Two weeks passed since the tragedy and everyone was gathered for the funeral.

"It's hard to believe its began like this.", Ric said to Alf "Mattie and I get hitched and now someone close to us has passed on."

It was of course a typical church style funeral. Ric, Alf, Jack, Tony, Miles and Hugo (Jack's cousin), who had just arrived in the bay, carried the coffin into the church, it was decorated with photos of her and her name in a the form of a flower wreath. At the service, Alf and Jack both gave readings, Ric read out the eulogy whilst Mattie read a poem and it was clear she was struggling to keep her emotions in check.

Following the funeral, another departure came, Jack. He felt that he was unable to continue living in the Bay without Martha and had decided that he wanted to begin afresh by himself in the city, having also requested a transfer to its police unit down there.

A few days after, Ric and Mattie left too, for their honeymoon

"You sure we should do this grandad.", he asked Alf before he left. "I can put it back another week."

"No, you should go and do it. It will take your mind off everything that's happened recently.", he replied "Besides, I have to travel to New York to tell Roo what's happened. She couldn't be at the funeral because of the flight strike. They obviously now reinstated flights there and to but its still a pain getting back to normal over there she told me over the phone."

"Ready to go.", Mattie said to Ric

"Yeah.", Ric replied

"Come on, I'll drive us to the airport.", said Alf

"Thanks, grandad.", responded Ric

Coming Up in Chapter 28

The honeymoon is over and Ric and Mattie now begin to adjust to being a married couple at home.

Any comments?

Chapter 28

For the next three weeks it was nothing but sun, sea and fun for Ric & Mattie...in the carribbean. They had arranged to stop and spend four days at a location (3 in total) and then 2 days on the cruise ship, travelling to the next destination. But they weren't planning just to laze about on the beaches in the sun. They would always be looking to do certain activities there as they got them on an all-inclusive payment, since it was their honeymoon.

They started in Nassu, Bahamas where they went on a tour under the sea, firstly on a glass bottom boat and then in it when they went scuba diving.

Second stop was Montego Bay in Jamaica. There they went on a rainforest safari and then went horse riding on both the beach and the ocean.

Finally they visited Bridgetown in Barbados where they swam with dolphins and then took a more relaxed route with a spot of sightseeing.

By the time they had landed back home at Sydney Airport, they had collected a great amount of tan. Both were delighted at what they had done together in the 3 weeks but were indeed now pleased to be back home.

They returned straight away to Summer Bay House,

"Surprise.", Ric yelled

"How was the honeymoon?", asked Miles

"Couldn't have gone any better.", replied Ric

"We had the absolute time of our lives.", Mattie added

"It's good to have you back.", said Alf. He had returned a week earlier than them from New York.

They showed everyone in the house the photos they took and the highlights they recorded from their video camera. Everyone agreed it was an amazing three weeks they spent together.

As they were away, a letter had arrived in the post, adressed to Mattie. It was from Perth University about a placement on a course there for the upcoming year. Ric had agreed to Mattie to apply for it months ago, as he not arranged to propose to her at any time then. But Mattie decided to turn it down.

"It's was a good offer.", said Ric

"Yeah, but we just got married.", replied Mattie "I don't want us to be apart so soon."

"Of course.", he said back "I just want you to keep that in mind."

"Besides, I want us to obviously give married life a try here.", she said

They then kissed and Mattie said "I hope to love you forever, husband."

"Same here, wife.", Ric replied.

Coming Up in Chapter 29

The new surf club opens for business.

Post your comments!

Chapter 29

Despite being at the catalyst of the surf club explosion, Melody had somehow escaped unharmed and fled to Melbourne. However she made the ironic mistake of telling Geoff by phone where she was and was eventually tracked down by him and Miles. They convinced her to give up and when she returned to Summer Bay, she was instantly arrested for arson and murder. Her trial would take place in the city.

This was almost about to coincide with the opening of the new surf club. With most of the foundations of the old one still intact, it was simply a case of some refurbishment and redesigning.

The grand opening day soon arrived and Alf and Tony cut the ribbons to open the new gym (now renamed Gym:SB) and the new bar (now called Mackenzie's Bar, in memory of Martha).

Strangely, Mattie, who had now turned down the uni opportunity to Perth for good, didn't take back her old job, she instead got a new staffing position at the gym, holding a workout morning class three times a week. It was there one of the members started taking a shine to her, his name was Jimmy Southern but what Mattie or anyone didn't know, the name was an alibi.

It was actually Simon Jeffries, with a fake wig and moustache to disguise his appearance. His plan was of course simple. To steal Mattie away from the arms of Ric.

And it would be a matter of time before Ric noticed him,

"What the hell are you doing back here?", he said

"Please, Ric.", replied simon "I'm not back to cause trouble. I just want to start afresh on my own."

"You stay away from Mattie.", Ric warned him

"I'm not planning to.", Simon said back "I'm for your relationship now. I just wanted to let you know."

Of course, what everything Simon had just said was a big fat lie. He was only back for Mattie.

Coming Up in Chapter 30

Simon goes to desperate lengths to get hold of Mattie. But will it go horribly wrong?

Your comments, please!

Chapter 30

It would still be two weeks until Simon knew that he had to effectively ditch his gym counterpart and come clean to Mattie. Of course, being her ex, he would need to go to desperate lengths to try and get her back.

In his Jimmy Southern alter ego, he called Mattie to say that to meet him at an undisclosed location to tell her something very important in private. Mattie was curious but wanted to at least give it a chance.

She took the journey by car to an old, abandoned cabin, the exact meeting point, she went inside and door immediantely slammed shut behind her and was locked. The light came on, revealing walls decorated with pictures of her and pictures of her with Ric's face cut out and replaced by Simon's.

"Welcome to my lair.", Simon said

"Simon.", was all she could say

"I'll tell you the truth.", he replied "I couldn't live life without you so I came back and created the 'Jimmy Southern' character to ensure you or anyone didn't notice."

"How could you do such a thing.", she responded

"Now I've got your attention again. We can be together.", he said back

"You should know I'm married to Ric now.", Mattie replied "And I've got to go."

"Oh, no you don't.", Simon yelled "You're not going anywhere."

Mattie was tied up and would be released until she admitted she'll leave Ric for him. It was certainly a tall order as Mattie would of course not say it.

Having realised she was gone for a few hours more than expected, Ric contacted the police. They told him a passer-by had just come into the station to report of a commotion going on in the cabin.

"I'll arrange for a squad car to meet you outside and you can come along.", Charlie told Ric over the phone

They arrived at the cabin to find the door was still of course locked. As the SWAT team began to break it down, Simon realised he had been ratted out, he smashed the back window, climbed out of it, carrying Mattie and then he got into his car (obviously stolen, as he had been revoked of his license months ago) and locked Mattie in the boot and then sped off.

Several police cars chased him across the Yabbie Creek road district. Two extra police cars acted as a blockade near the out-of-town borderline. Simon swerved to try and go the other way but he was trapped...

...so instead of stopping, he let the car crash! It rolled down the embankment and smashed into a tree, backside first! Ric got out of the police car he was in and looked on in sheer horror, knowing Mattie (and the baby she was carrying) could be in serious peril.

Coming Up in Chapter 31

Mattie is rushed to hospital and Ric is given heartbreaking news. (Before anyone asks, she doesn't die!)

Let me know your thoughts!

Archived