The Darkness

Guest TelephotoMarigold

Chapter 60

“What do we do?” Roman asked her.

“Everything as normal.” She tried to smile as she said it but her voice was strained.

“El?” he asked.

“Sh!” she cautioned as they walked down the corridor in the hospital.

She had Sophie by one hand and was carrying Megan. He led Georgie and had the gift basket.

She knocked on their door and Aden showed them in. Belle was in bed cuddling the new baby, Brett and Amy-belle were there too.

“Hey.” El said smiling as they walked into the room.

“Anti El.” Amy-belle called. “Sophie!” she added excitedly.

“Soph do you want to go with Amy-Belle?” she asked her daughter.

Roman led Georgie in and handed the basket to Aden.

Georgie toddled off with Sophie and Roman chuckled at his son planting a kiss on Amy-belle’s cheek.

“You better not tell Angel she might get jealous.” El told him grinning. She handed Megan to Roman and walked over to see the baby.

“How are you?” She asked Belle.

“Fine. No stitches.” She said.

“Cool.” El murmured. “Can I get a cuddle?”

Aden and Roman looked at each other at the stitch comment and paled. Roman held his hand and Aden took it.

“Congratulations.” he told him. “Did you really faint?”

Aden grinned.

“No but it was close for about a second. Luckily some nurse distracted me and I was able to cover it up. Unfortunately, I happened to mention it to Belle and before I knew it she had texted everyone.” Aden said.

“Babe.” Belle murmured. “Not everyone. I forgot to tell Rachel.”

He laughed.

“Now let me get a cuddle.” El said.

Belle handed over her new son and Roman watched as El’s face lit up. She looked beautiful holding the baby.

El looked up and caught him watching her.

“Do not get any ideas mister.” She cautioned.

He grinned.

“Me?” he said holding out his hand to stroke her face.

She smiled at him, that special smile that made his heart thump.

He looked down at the baby and saw a beautiful little boy, all blond curls and blue eyes. He also had Aden’s features, Roman noted and grinned at the other man.

“Doesn’t he look gorgeous?” she asked. “What do you think Belle is he going to a quiet one or noisy?”

Belle smiled.

“He’s going to scream the house down.” She declared.

“Are you feeding him?” El asked her.

She looked over at Roman and saw that he was talking softly to Aden. She knew he was talking about the text message and she felt a tremor run through her.

“Sorry.” She muttered and handed the baby back.

She stood up and ran through the door.

“El.” Roman called trying to stop her mid-flight.

She raced down the corridor and found the ladies shutting herself in the cubicle and locking the door behind her before being violently sick.

“Roman?” Belle said worriedly.

He looked haunted as he turned and spoke the following words. Words he never wanted to hear from anyone’s lips. Aden put his hand on Roman’s shoulder and nodded, showing his support.

“Gardy has escaped.” He murmured.

Despite the tension he felt the words came out normal sounding, something for which he was grateful with the children around.

“El?” Belle asked.

“Oh, she’s fine as you can see.” Roman put his hand over his eyes for a moment.

“Babe, take Tyler and I’ll go get El.” She said. “Roman sit down for a minute.” She instructed.

He nodded.

“How the hell did she keep it together when I was away?” Roman asked Aden.

He shrugged.

“I’ve got no clue.” Aden told him.

He placed the baby in the crib and went to help Belle when the door opened and El walked back in. She went over to Roman and held out her hand. He took it and put it against his cheek before looking up.

“Sorry.” She said. “I needed a moment.”

He looked at her but she didn’t say anything further.

“El?” Belle said softly.

“I’m fine.” She said, lying to them and lying to herself.

Roman nodded as if he accepted her words.

She looked at him for a long moment.

“We need to get the babies to Nic’s.” she told him.

“How about we cancel tonight and grab a movie and stay in?” he suggested.

She shook her head.

“Everything as normal.” She told him softly.

“That is normal.” He said with a quick grin. “I hate the woman she always tells me off.”

She looked at him.

“It’s actually nice that I have someone who knows exactly what I have to put up with.” El told him, trying to joke.

He grinned at her.

She turned to Belle and smiled.

“We’ll leave you to it. Make the most of your nights sleep.” She said to her.

Aden grinned.

“I intended to.” He said.

Belle looked at her husband and grinned at him.

“Come on babes.” El called to her twins.

Amy-belle came up to her.

“Can Sophie come and stay?” she asked her. She turned and looked at Georgie and held his hand. “And Georgie.”

Brett nodded too.

El bent down and looked at her.

“How about you and Brett come and stay with us one weekend?” she asked. “We’ll have a little party for everyone.”

Amy-belle smiled and launched herself at E putting her arms around her neck.

For a fraction of a second El flinched before holding the little girl. She hoped no one noticed but a sideways look at Roman showed her he had seen the instinctive recoil.

“I’ll get Aunty Colleen to make us all a nice chocolate cake.” She said to the girl.

Belle chuckled.

“I’m coming too if there is cake.” She said.

Aden sniggered at his wife.

“Can I come tonight?” Amy-belle asked.

El laughed softly.

“Wish you could sweetie but we’re busy adults tonight. But we’ll do it soon I promise.” El pressed a kiss to Amy-belle and looked over at Brett. She held out her hand to him and he came over and let her hug him too.

“Thank you for the nice hugs.” She told them and collected Sophie and Georgie.

Roman carried Megan and they left them to it as they walked out of the hospital to the car. Putting Sophie and Georgie in the car seats. She caught Roman watching her. As she took Megan from him and put her in her seat she mouthed the words ‘over-protective’ to him.

He smiled and waited until she shut the car door before he pushed her back against the door. He placed one hand either side of her and leaned forward and kissed her. He kept his movements slow and controlled so that she was aware of them and the instinctive fear reactions she seemed to be having couldn’t build up. He kissed her softly and eased back for a moment looking deep into her eyes.

“Besotted not over protective.” He told her gently. “I think you are beautiful and for a second I wanted that to be our baby.”

She gasped and he took his time to kiss her again.

He moved his hand and placed it on the flat of her stomach.

“I wanted to put my seed here and make you pregnant all over again.” He told her. “Then I wanted to see you feed our baby. I wanted to see that look of love on your face that you have for our children.”

She moaned against his lips.

“But I’m happy with our miracles and I love the way you are such a wonderful mother.” He told her. “I love you.”

She threw her arms around his neck and clung to him.

“El, you aren’t ok are you?” he asked.

He felt her shake against him.

“No.” she said. “I’m scared.”

“I promise I will not let him get you.” He said and held her tight.

She nodded.

“I know. I not scared of that. Well, not so much. I’m scared that the memories will take me away from you.” She said eventually.

He nodded.

“I think I understand. We’ll just have to take it one day at a time.” He said to her.

“No telling me everything is going to be ok?” she asked.

He pulled back and looked at her for a moment.

“I really wish I could. But it’s not about my pain and I don’t want to dismiss what you’ve been through with a glib response.”

“Dammit.” She said, tears springing into her eyes. “You are going for bonus points tonight.”

“No, but if you want to tell her I’ve been more sensitive then I’m not going to stop you.” He grinned.

She smiled.

He opened the car door for her and waited until she climbed in before shutting it gently. Walking around to the other side of the car he climbed behind the wheel and set off to Nic’s.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 61

El was in the kitchen when the knock at the door sounded. She jumped and spilled the coffee granules over the kitchen counter. She swore before rushing to answer it.

“Hey.” Rachel said.

“Hi.” El replied cautiously.

“Can I come in then?” Rachel asked softly, as El had only opened the door a fraction.

“Sorry. Sure, come through to the kitchen.” She told her leading the way.

Rachel walked behind El into the kitchen, she took in the added security chain on the door. Bolted at this time of day and also closed despite how hot it was.

“I see I gave you a fright.” Rachel said looking at the spilled coffee.

“Yes I’m a little nervous.” El confessed.

She wiped the coffee up and cleaned the top down before making a fresh drink.

“What can I get you?” El asked her.

“I’d love a tall glass of something cold.” Rachel said.

El went to the fridge and pulled out a can of soda and offered Rachel that.

She nodded at the choice and saw El get a glass and fill it with ice before handing over the glass and the can.

Rachel took the drink then before El could pull her arm back she caught hold of it. El flinched as Rachel lifted up the long sleeve.

“El.” She said softly.

“Its nothing.” El said pulling away

“You think self harming is nothing.” Rachel asked calmly. She walked over to the door and opened it stepping out to the veranda. El had no choice but to follow.

She flinched from the glow of the sun.

“How did you know?” El asked.

“I don’t know. Roman said you were starting to act differently and he was getting worried.” Rachel explained. “Wouldn’t go outside, sleeping in another room. I presume that was so he didn’t notice the cuts on your arm.”

She started crying.

“It makes me feel better.” She said.

Rachel nodded.

“But you need to stop it. El we understand what you are going through and we can help you. You do not have to carry this alone.” Rachel told her. “Where is your first aid kit?”

El went and fetched it.

She sat next to Rachel and rolled up her sleeve.

“Is it just this arm?” Rachel asked.

El nodded.

“I don’t know how it started.” She said.

“You’d be surprised how common this is.” Rachel said softly.

She cleaned the cuts gently before adding salve and putting on plasters. She pulled on a cover over the top of them.

“These will need changing in a couple of days.“ Rachel told her. “Now do you want to talk?” she asked.

El shook her head.

She stood and put the first aid box away before bringing out their drinks.

“Thanks.” Rachel said accepting hers.

“I can’t sleep.” El said. “I think of being in the dark and I can’t close my eyes. That’s how it started. Then I would feel Roman next to me and it wasn’t him it was Gardy and I would panic. So I would get up and do something. Clean or watch tv.”

Rachel nodded without saying anything.

“It didn’t help. So I would go into another room away from him. I would curl up and leave the light on but that didn’t help either. Roman takes care of the children all the time now. I feel useless.”

“So you cut?” Rachel asked.

El nodded.

“The first time it was an accident. But it felt like I was letting the bad stuff out. I didn’t even notice that I wasn’t going out until today.”

Rachel smiled at her.

“I think its ok El, but you do need to tell Roman what is happening,”

She shook her head.

“I can’t. It was hard enough before. It nearly finished us.”

“El, he is your husband and he loves you. He will be hurt that you are going through this alone.”

El started crying and Rachel came over to her and put her arms around her. She looked up and saw Roman standing in the doorway. She shook her head at him and he stepped back.

Come on El.” Rachel said.

El wiped her eyes and looked up.

“How am I going to tell him that I’m falling apart.” She asked.

“You aren’t El. You won’t fall apart. You have Nic and Geoff and Aden and Belle and the children and Roman.” Rachel said. “And all your friends in the Bay.”

She shook her head.

“I close my eyes and I’m back in that room and he’s on top of me and I can’t breath. My heart is pounding and I can’t move. He couldn’t….” she trailed off. “Until I screamed. He threatened to use the knife and I screamed and then he.” She shook her head. “I begged then. I begged him to stop. I went somewhere else in my head but I was still there in that room and I’m still there now.”

“El what triggered this?” Rachel asked.

She looked at the wood underneath her feet and sighed.

“He drank whisky.” She said quietly.

“El?” Rachel asked.

“It was dark and Roman came to bed and he’d had a glass of whisky. He kissed me and I started dreaming.” She admitted finally, more to herself. “Poor Roman. I’ve been pushing him away and its not his fault.” She gasped.

“You need to tell him.” Rachel said again. “He needs to know so that he can help you.”

“What, help me by not drinking whisky?” she said trying to joke.

Rachel took hold of her hands and squeezed them for a moment before she stood up and moved to the other seat.

Roman came out then and sat next to El.

“You eavesdropped?” she asked him.

He nodded.

“Only a little bit though.” He told her.

“And that is going to make it ok?” she muttered.

“I have no idea how to make it ok and if you don’t start talking to me it will only get worse. I’m still going to drink whisky though, I’ll just try and remember to brush my teeth after.”

She laughed. The first time she’d laughed in the days.

“The kids are with Leah and Colleen. How about we go to bed and catch up on our sleep.” He suggested.

“You used to be more subtle.” She said to him nodding at Rachel.

“Hey I have to go anyway.” She stood.

El came over to her and hugged her.

“Thank you again.” She said.

“It’s not a problem.” Rachel said to her. “I’m always here if you need to talk El. I know what you are going through.”

El nodded.

Roman saw her out and offered his own thanks before turning and looking at El. She tried to smile at him but her face felt frozen.

“Did he carry you the stairs?” Roman asked.

“No.” she said without thinking.

“Good.” He said walking over to her.

“Don’t.” she muttered.

He grinned and picked her up.

“I would suggest you don’t struggle too much El, I have to deal with the damn stair gates and I wouldn’t want to drop you.”

“This is not one of your stupid games.” She said angrily.

He carried her into their bedroom.

“You won’t make me angry. Not today.” He told her. “Now do you want to take your clothes off or shall I?”

She folded her arms across her stomach and glared at him.

He pulled off his own clothes until he was down to his boxers. She continued to stand there.

“You had your choice.” He told her.

She shook her head.

“I don’t want to go to bed.” She said.

He affected a yawn and she copied it on cue.

He walked over to her and pulled the top over her head. She tried to stop him thinking of the cuts on her arm. Before she knew it he had stripped off all of her clothes. She should have remembered how good he was at getting her naked. He picked her up and put her in the middle of the bed climbing in beside her.

“I hate you.” She told him.

He laughed.

“Not the first time.” He said and pulled the covers over them. “I haven’t been sleeping without you El so that is all I want to do here.” He said softly.

She sighed.

He pulled her close tucking her body into his, spooning, and his arms around her. She tried to keep her eyes open but she was so tired she found her eyes drifting shut. She fell asleep.

He tried to go to sleep too but he found he just wanted to hold her and watch over her.

She woke some time later. It had become dark outside and he had clicked on a lamp so she wouldn’t wake up in the dark.

“Hey.” He said softly.

“Hey.” She said.

She turned and he kissed her.

“Get your energy back?” she asked him.

He smiled.

“I might have done.” He stroked her face. “Would you like to make love?” he asked.

She smiled at him.

“I want to.” She said.

He began slowly letting his hand stroke her body.

“Let me know if this is ok.” he whispered.

She pulled away and eased out of the bed.

“El.” He said.

“No.” she said pulling on her bathrobe and heading out of the room. He launched himself out of bed and went after her.

“Ella.” He said deliberately.

She flinched and he was able to catch hold of her arm. He pulled her back against him.

“Stop it. I changed my mind I don’t want to.” She said.

He lifted her up and carried her back to the bed throwing her on it.

“Now stop acting like a brat. Why did you change your mind?” he asked.

She folded her arms and looked at him mutinously.

After a long silence she looked at him seeing that he wasn’t going to let her go without an answer.

“You asked me if it were ok.” she said finally.

He shrugged.

“And why wouldn’t I?” he asked.

She didn’t say anything.

“El.” He prompted.

“I don’t want to be treated….” she tried to say.

“Like my wife? Like someone who has gone through a lot? Like someone who isn’t certain she wants to make love?” he asked. “That was all I was doing. I try not to think about what you went through while we are in our bed because if I did I’m sure I’d never be able to make love to you again. I’m ashamed that men can do that to women.” He reached out and grabbed his bathrobe pulling it on.

“Roman.” She called to him.

“No. Enough.” He muttered. “I’m going for a shower.”

She didn’t stop him.

He walked back in the bedroom later and started in shock. She had lit all the candles she had around the room and sprayed some of her favourite perfume. She had put a scarf over the bedside lamp so that the light was dimmed. She waited in the middle of the bed for him.

“El?” he asked.

“Would you like to make love?” she asked him.

He nodded and walked over to the bed. She reached for him and kissed him.

He stroked her hair back form her face and looked into her eyes. She pushed the bathrobe from his shoulders and pulled him closer to her. He shrugged out of it and lay naked on top of his beautiful wife. Within minutes they were kissing and touching everywhere. She welcomed his weight and moaned against his lips.

“El?” he asked.

She grinned.

“This is very ok.” she told him.

He smiled and looked deep into her eyes.

He eased into her body feeling her heart beating against him. She pushed against him moving her hips with an age-old rhythm. He groaned against her lips as her body moved in time with his. His breath rasping through his lips. She wound her arms around his neck.

“Make me come.” She whispered. “I want to lose control with you.”

He groaned again.

“Uh huh.” he gasped against her lips kissing her.

She moaned against his kisses moving against him.

“Please.” She begged. “I want you so much.”

She moved frantically against him.

“Sh, El.” He whispered.

She moved her hands stroking his back.

“Slow El.”! He said to her.

“No I need you too much.” she moaned.

He tried to ease away but she moved frantically against him lifting her hips and moaning. He felt control slipping away at her movements and he tried to stop her. She clawed his back.

“El stop.” He told her.

She breathed in and out wrapping her legs around him, lifting her hips and pushing herself against him.

He pulled her arms from around him and pushed them to the bed

“El stop.” He muttered.

She moaned.

“I need you.” She told him.

“No.” he said.

He breathed heavily and pulled away from her. He stood and grabbed his bathrobe heading back into the bathroom for another shower. He stood under the hot spray and let it wash over his head.

She lay on the bed and slowly began to cry. Pulling herself together she stood and wiped her eyes and walked into the bathroom. She climbed into the shower behind him and put her arms around his waist before she lost her nerve.

“I’m sorry, that wasn’t very loving.” She said softly.

“El.” He said, uncertain what she wanted form him right then.

She rested her cheek against his back for a moment.

“Can we try again?” she asked.

“I can’t. I need to go collect the kids.” He told her.

“Can’t or don’t want to?” she asked for clarification.

“Either.” He said. “Quite frankly what just happened in there” he began referring to the bedroom. “I could have paid for on a street corner.”

She didn’t flinch at his comment. She felt horrible about what had just happened and deserved his anger.

She kissed his back and climbed out of the shower. Pulling a towel round her she walked back into the bedroom. She left the bed looking rumpled and turned on the main light so she could straighten up their discarded clothes. She blew out the candles and pulled the scarf off the lamp. Then she got dressed.

He walked in and looked at the bed before reaching for clean clothes. He dressed in silence and stood up, collecting his wallet keys and phone. He clicked open the phone and read the messages on it with a grimace.

“More from him?” she asked.

He nodded.

She wanted to go over and hug him but felt suddenly shy about touching him..

“El.” He started to say something.

She put her arms across her waist.

“I’m going to get the kids,” he said instead and for the first time he walked past her without kissing her.

She waited until he was gone and she heard the front door close before she let herself move. She stripped the sheets of the bed and remade it with clean linen and then took all the laundry downstairs. She put a load on to wash before collecting the vacuum and running that over the floors. She opened the windows to let in fresh air, before carrying the vacuum up the stairs and doing the bedroom and bathroom. She left it on the upstairs landing before going into the nursery and tidying up their toys and straightening the room. She changed the bedding and took that downstairs to the laundry.

“Mama.” Sophie called coming through the door.

She bent down and held her arms open.

“Hey little girl.” She called to her as she toddled to her. She picked her up and gave her a cuddle and kisses and then looked round for Georgie. She did the same to him.

“Did you have good time with Auntie Lele?” she asked them.

Georgie nodded.

“I think its about bedtime for my angels.” she said and opened up the stair gate. They started up the stairs. Alternatively bumping up the steps and toddling.

She kept a watchful eye on them and waited for Roman and Megan.

He walked in a moment later with Megan fast asleep in his arms. He made to go upstairs with her but El moved in front of him.

“I’ll take her.” She told him and held out her arms.

Roman wanted to smile at her but couldn’t.

He handed over Megan and watched as El went upstairs with her behind the twins. She opened the top stair gate and they went onto the landing. Georgie climbed on the vacuum and started playing with it.

“Aren’t you tired little man?” she asked him.

He looked at her.

“Mama.” He said.

She walked into the nursery and laid Megan in her cot for the moment before picking up Sophie and sitting her on the changing table to undress her.

“Do you want a bath tonight?” she asked her.

“Bu bu.” Sophie told her.

El laughed.

“Bubbles?”

“Bu.” Sophie nodded.

“What about you little man do you Bu bu’s?” she asked him.

He nodded.

She lifted Sophie down and then undressed Georgie. She tucked them into bathrobes and led them into the bathroom. They watched as she turned the taps on and added they bubble bath. She tested the water and clicked the taps off.

Sophie pulled off her bathrobe and lifted her arms up.

“Bu bu.” She said.

“Impatient little madam.” She murmured.

She lifted her into the bath and then helped Georgie out of his bathrobe and put him in the bath. They started playing with the bubbles while she knelt down beside the bath and found the flannel and washed them. She was so busy she didn’t hear Roman walk in behind her.

“Hey.” He said softly.

“Hey.” She said back.

He leaned over and pressed a kiss to her lips.

“Whisky?” she asked.

He nodded.

“I came to brush my teeth.” He whispered.

She leaned forward and kissed him.

“I was hoping to came to tell me you’d ordered pizza.” She smiled at him.

“Your wish is my command.” He said.

She looked over at him.

“In that case can I get…” she began and saw him look briefly at the twins. ”Double cheese and extra olives?”

He chuckled before moving out of the bathroom and going downstairs.

She washed their hair before lifting them out of the bath. She dried them quickly putting their bathrobe back on. They insisted on watching the water drain out of the bath before they would go into the nursery and she was allowed to get them ready for bed.

She tucked them in and looked over at Megan who was still fast asleep. She decided to leave her until later, knowing she would wake in the night for a feed. She clicked on the night-light and pressed kisses on the twins before heading into the bathroom to tidy it up before heading downstairs. She saw him sitting on the sofa another glass of whisky in his hand.

“Hey.” She said and walked over to him.

“Hey yourself.” He murmured.

She took the glass out of his hand and took a drink of it before handing it back to him.

“You really hate whisky.” He said.

She nodded.

“No actually I loathe whisky. Please never let me do that again. Even if you have to wrestle me to the ground.”

His eyes lit up for a moment.

She caught his glance.

“Not in that way.” She told him.

He chuckled.

“Are you back El?” he asked softly.

She nodded.

“I love you. Thank you for being there.” She said.

He held out his hand and she went over to him and sat next to him.

“You hurt me.” He said to her, pressing a kiss to the top of her head.

She nodded.

“I know.” She said quietly.

“Not just today but not talking to me again.” He shuddered. “I thought I was losing you.”

She sighed.

“I lost myself.” She confessed. “I forgot how strong I was and how much my husband loved me.”

He chuckled.

“He nearly told you he hated you today.” He said.

She smiled.

“I know. I would have deserved it too.” She sighed. “We need to get normal again.

We’ve got those quotes from the builders so we should decide whether to get the work done and I promised Amy-Belle a sleep over so I should get that organised.”

He kissed her.

“We should get that bit of land sorted and make it into the kids playground so they can play out there.” He said.

“You’ve been wanting to do that for ages haven’t you?”

He nodded.

“I did a swing for Nicole once but it was blue and not pink so she wouldn’t go on it.” He said with a sad smile. “Although I think that may have had something to do with Natalie at the time.”

“You know that I would have a been a much worse ex than her don’t you.”

He laughed.

“Why do you think I’ve done everything I can to keep us together?”

She poked him in the ribs before standing up.

“Do you want a top up?” she asked.

He shook his head.

She went into the kitchen and poured herself a tall glass of vodka and coke over ice before going back and joining him.

“How about a movie?” she asked him.

He shook his head.

“I just want to be quiet tonight.” He said softly.

She smiled.

“Feeling reflective?”

He looked at her.

“I’ve made a lot of mistakes El.” He said. “I should have fought harder to be a part of Nic’s life.”

She cuddled up with him pressing her hand to the place above his beating heart. She felt the steady rhythm and smiled.

“Should have would have could have.” She said.

He looked at her.

“I know.” He smiled.

She kissed him very slowly.

“Maybe I should have come and found you years ago.” She said.

He laughed.

“I was so not ready for you.” He said to her and watched the way she grinned at him.

“See. Things happen for reason.” She told him.

“You still believe that?” he asked her. “Even now?”

She nodded.

“I have to. I have to believe that there is some good to come from this experience.”

He looked away for a moment.

“Roman?” she asked.

“I’m angry El. I’m downright bloody furious that he did that to you. And now he’s out and he’ll be back. I want to kill him.” he confessed.

She sighed.

“You can’t.” she said simply.

He smiled at her.

“I know.”

A knock sounded at the door and he went and collected the pizza. He brought the boxes to the sofa and she’d fetched plates and napkins. She’d topped up his glass and he raised his eyebrow at her.

“Planning on taking advantage of me?” he asked her.

She grinned over at him.

“Maybe!”

He smiled back and handed her the pizza. She curled up next to him and they ate their pizza.

She kept looking at him.

“What?” he said eventually.

She smiled.

“Nothing.”

He grinned.

“I’m sure there is something.” He said to her wiping his fingers on a napkin and putting the now empty pizza box on the table.

“Well I was thinking about going shopping tomorrow and getting the swing sets.” She told him.

He grinned.

“What else did you have in mind?” he asked her.

She looked over at him from underneath her lashes.

“A playhouse.”

“I think they may be a bit too young for that don’t you?” he asked her.

She smiled at him.

“I always wanted one.”

“And you never had one?” he asked her.

She put her pizza box to one side.

“No my mother said that she didn’t want the mess and with moving around all the time.” She told him with a wry grin.

He looked at her.

“El how exactly did you turn out to be such a wonderful Mum with that as an example?”

She shrugged.

“She wasn’t so bad really but thank you for thinking I’m a wonderful mum.” She blushed and leaned over and kissed him.

He kissed her back pushing her onto the sofa. He pushed up her blouse and stroked her belly. She flinched as his fingers traced over the scar from the cut on her belly. He pulled back.

“I love you El,” he said softly.

She nodded.

“I know and I want to make love to you but I’m a little sensitive about them at the moment.”

He bent his head and kissed the scar.

“Why don’t you do something about them. Rachel said they can do surgery to get rid of them.”

“You think I should?”

He shook his head.

“No I barely notice them. I love that you wear those sexy shorts around me, and those skimpy tops. I just want you to feel comfortable to wear what you want.” He murmured.

She smiled.

“You are wonderful you know.” She whispered.

He grinned looking deep into her eyes.

“I know.” He said smugly. “Now would you like to go to bed?” he asked.

She nodded and stood holding out her hand to him.

“Yes please.” She said simply.

Chapter 62

El was running late. She’d said she’d meet Roman a half-hour ago at the diner and he would be ringing her any minute to find out where she was. She grabbed the keys and headed out to the car with Megan. She was being a right pain lately, not wanting to be dressed or to have her shoes on. She should have started getting her ready an hour ago.

Arriving at the diner there was no where to park so she found a space a little way off and put Megan in her buggy to push her there along the path. Megan protested and El sighed at her. She pushed the buggy distractedly not noticing when the figure loomed in front of her.

“So this is my brat.” Gardy said.

She looked up in shock.

Forcing back the scream she had in her throat she looked at him coolly.

“No Gardy this is Roman’s daughter.” She told him.

He went to reach for her out of the buggy.

“You touch her and I’ll kill you.” El said pulling the buggy away.

She reached into her bag and pulled out a piece of paper.

“I figured you’d turn up sooner or later.” She threw the paper at him.

It drifted down to the pavement below and he picked it up and looked at it.

“You could have faked this.” Gardy said.

“I could have done but how was I to know you’d be stupid enough to break out of prison and come after me.” She told him. “They’ll never let you out now.”

“They have to catch me first Ella.”

She laughed.

“No Gardy, they have to stop my husband getting p*ssed off and killing you.” She told him hatefully.

He looked at her.

“Killing me?” Gardy asked. “I’d like to see him try.”

She sighed and reached into her bag again.

“Careful.” He said, lifting his jacket to reveal the gun he was carrying. “I wouldn’t want you to get yourself hurt.”

She showed him the dummy she’d pulled out and gave to her daughter.

“You don’t scare me Gardy.” She said clearly. “You think you’ll control me because you have a gun or a knife? Well you won’t.”

He looked at her.

“Your husband should have thanked me for breaking you in.” Gardy told her cruelly, trying to provoke a response.

She smiled slowly.

“You didn’t do anything to me Gardy I was back sleeping with Roman within months. You are nothing to me. You did nothing. You couldn’t even get it up until I screamed. Does that turn you on Gardy? I feel sorry for you to know that you have to use a knife to get turned on. I only have to look at Roman and we want each other. You haven’t changed that and nothing you can do will ever change that.” She told him bitterly.

Gardy went a shade of red and groaned.

She looked over his shoulder and nodded slowly. He caught the movement and reached down to Megan.

She pushed the buggy hard against his legs and screamed loudly. She watched as Gardy went down. She pulled the buggy and grabbed Megan out of it. She saw him fumble with the gun in the holster and she screamed again. She swung the handbag hitting him across the face. She did it a second time before turning and running along the path toward Roman. He caught hold of her.

Gardy looked up from where he was lying on the path, blood was seeping from his nose and he suddenly stood up. He turned and ran. They heard the squeal of a police siren coming from in the distance. They watched as he vaulted over a wall and carried on running. She felt the tension in Roman.

“He had a gun Roman.” She said softly.

“I know. I still want to go after him.” Roman said back. “Are you ok?” he asked softly.

She nodded.

“I need to shower.” She admitted.

He kissed her.

“El, please stop being so brave.” He said finally.

She smiled.

“Just protecting my family, nothing brave about it.”

He put his arms tight around her and Megan and she felt him tremble.

“Roman.” She said.

“I can’t help it. I would die if anything happened to you.” He said the emotion making his voice seem stronger somehow.

She kissed him and they watched as Charlie came towards them.

She took one look at her face.

“He got away didn’t he?” she asked.

Charlie nodded.

Roman swore before remembering that Megan was with them.

“If that is her first word Roman Harris you will be in trouble.” She warned him.

He grinned.

“Perhaps you want to explain why Georgie and Sophie say crap?” he asked her, feeling his tension easing.

She looked at him.

“Can we go to the diner?” She asked.

He nodded and Charlie followed bringing the buggy with her.. She folded it up and tucked it in the corner as she saw El walk over to Georgie and Sophie and kiss them.

“Ok can you tell me what happened?” Charlie asked El.

She placed Megan with Roman.

“He just turned up. He said that Megan was his and I threw a copy of the DNA test results at him. He thinks they are fake.” She took a breath and Roman reached a hand out to her. She took it in hers and squeezed feeling the comfort and the strength in that small gesture.

She looked at him and smiled before continuing.

“He showed me he had a gun. And I reached into my bag and speed dialled Roman. I used his name to let him know that Gardy was with me. I kept him talking knowing that Roman would call you.”

Roman looked at the floor for a moment.

She squeezed his hand.

“I knew that Roman would eventually call you after someone slapped some sense into him.” she told Charlie grinning.

“Roman?” Charlie asked.

“Irene.” He said blushing. “She told me not to be a flaming idiot and let you coppers do your job.”

Charlie nodded and shared a look with El who was also grinning.

“I tried to let him know about the gun and I saw a knife handle tucked inside his boot, under his jeans so I mentioned that too.” El suddenly shuddered.

Roman leaned over and pressed a kiss to her temple.

“He leaned down to get my baby so I pushed the buggy into his legs and grabbed Megan away from him.” she muttered folding her arms across herself. “And then I hit him with my bag. I need to go home and shower.” she added with a sick moan.

Roman nodded at her.

“Is that enough?” he asked Charlie.

Charlie nodded.

“El you did great. You were so incredibly brave.” Charlie told her.

She nodded and stood.

Roman saw to the children putting them in his car and helping El into the passenger seat. She was shaking and her teeth were chattering. A sign that shock had set in. He took out a blanket from the back and put it round her.

“Do you want me to tell Rachel?” Charlie asked.

Roman shook his head.

“She’ll be fine when I get her home.” Roman said, hoping that it would be true.

He climbed in behind the wheel and drove them all home. He saw to the children and El went straight into the shower. She didn’t even take her clothes off.

“El.” He said sinking to the floor beside the shower.

She sat down letting the water clean her and warm her. She reached out a hand to him and he took it.

“I love you Roman.” She said coming back to him.

“I love you too.” He told her.

She stood and turned the water off and pealed off the wet clothes climbing naked out of the shower. His breath caught in his throat at the sight of her, she still wasn’t comfortable being naked even with him.

She smiled to him, a saucy smile.

He stood and picked up a towel.

She pulled it round her.

“He won’t take me away from you again.” She promised. “Tonight we are going to make love.” She whispered.

He pulled her into his arms.

Chapter 63

“Nic is in the hospital.” Roman told her walking into the kitchen.

“About time.” she smiled at him.

“Uh huh. I have Nic making me a granddad and you making me dad.” Roman grumbled. “No wonder I’m feeling so worn out.”

“Poor baby.” She said and leaned over and kissed him.

He put his arms around her waist. And leaned his head on her shoulder.

“Is Irene looking after Angel?” she asked him.

“Yes. Geoff thought that with three kids of our own it might be a bit much to have her to.”

She looked at him.

“Seriously? Another toddler won’t make a lot of difference.”

He grinned.

“No you don’t.” she said.

“I didn’t say anything.”

“You were thinking it though.” She told him.

“Well you said another one won’t make much difference.”

She pulled away.

“You can go sleep in the spare room and have a serious think about it.”

“Yeah I could do that but on second thoughts three children are fine and I’m really appreciative of you keeping up with them.” he said with a grin.

She smiled.

‘Anyway you don’t have three children you have 6.”

He looked at her.

“Yes I know. And suddenly I want a pipe and slippers.”

“Poor baby.” She said again. “And you want to knock me up again?”

“I’m happy with our children.” He said eventually, not quite answering the question.

She grinned.

“We need to go shopping. I have Amy-Belle and Brett this weekend, remember. And I may as well have Tyler too. Give Aden and Belle a night to themselves.” She looked at him.

“Well in that case I’ll ask Geoff if he wants to send over Angel. Is Mike coming home?” Roman asked her.

She smiled at him.

“Yes. Should be fun watching the chaos this weekend.” She told him softly.

“You do know that you are glowing don’t you?” he asked.

She looked up at him.

“You foolish man!” she told him.

He leaned over and kissed her.

“Go sort out Megan I’ll see to the twins and we’ll go into Yabbie creek. Maybe pick up something for Nic too.” She planned their day.

He grinned and wandered up the stairs to the nursery.

His phone beeped and he clicked it open and swore as he read the latest message from Gardy.

She walked up behind him and read the message over his shoulder.

“He is certainly inventive but he needs to work on his spelling and trust me that last bit isn’t possible.” She said softly.

Roman looked at her and smiled broadly.

“Hang on, how would you know?” he said quickly.

“Because we tried it remember.” She told him.

He laughed.

“Now I do.”

He clicked reply and paraphrased her.

“Very inventive perhaps you should try using a dictionary and the last one isn’t possible but we’ll try it later, thanks for the idea.” And hit the send button.

She laughed at him.

“Are you trying to… “ She looked over at Sophie who was playing with teddy. “Really annoy him?” she amended.

He chuckled.

“You have to put it in context really.” He said. “I can face a madman with a gun, a room full of soldiers or my wife in a ticked off mood.”

She folded her arms and looked at him.

“You just have to judge the risk assessment. The madman can be subdued and disarmed. The soldiers killed with a single grenade but the wife has the power to make me sleep in the spare room.”

She looked at him some more.

“And I’d rather face the first two than have to sleep without my beautiful wife.” He said with a grin.

“Ouh, nicely saved there.” She muttered grinning.

She turned to the twins.

“Come on babes, we are going shopping.” She told them.

Sophie clapped her hands.

Roman looked at El.

“Nicole is so not babysitting anymore.” He groaned.

“Hush.” She said. “Sophie is learning an appreciation for money I think she’ll run a bank one day.”

He looked at her picking up Megan and cradling his younger daughter.

“Really?” he said. “Because I’m sure she said Chanel the other day.” He told her.

Sophie looked at her daddy with her big blue eyes.

“Chanel” she said with a giggle.

“See?” Roman groaned.

“No Sophie. Daddy is broke.” Roman told her. “Marry a rich man.”

“Excuse me?” El asked quickly.

“I mean, off course, become rich in your own right.” Roman corrected.

She lifted Sophie to the floor and then Georgie.

“Bang bang.” Georgie said

She looked at Roman and raised an eyebrow.

“He’s going to be drummer in a rock band?” he suggested.

She smiled slowly.

“He joins the army and we are automatically divorced.” She warned him.

Roman sighed with relief.

She looked at him.

“I thought you were going to threaten me with something else.” He grinned.

She folded her arms across her stomach a glint of tears appeared in her eyes.

“El.” He said softly.

“I mean it. No army.”

“Ok. I’ll just have to tell him to join the navy or the airforce.” He said.

She turned and walked away.

He followed and caught hold of her arm.

“El.” He said.

She pulled her arm away.

“Why did you sign the permission slip for Mike to visit that army base?” she asked him.

He swore.

“El, he wanted to go and all his friends were going. He asked me because you would have said no.” Roman said softly. “It does not mean he will go in the army.”

She pulled away from him and wiped at her eyes.

“This conversation isn’t over.” She told him. “We need to go.”

“El.” He said again, softly. “He is bound to be curious. His father was Army and his grandfather is too.”

She turned and looked at him.

“Yes his father was Army. I watched him die remember. I saw his torn and broken body. My children will not be in the army.” She hissed at him. “It has taken everything away from me. I hate the Army.”

She walked into the bathroom and washed her face pulling herself together.

He stood in the doorway and she looked up, their eyes met in the mirror.

“I’m still technically Army.” He told her.

She shook her head.

“El.” he said again.

She felt the tug of attraction between them but she resisted touching him or offering comfort to him.

“No.” she said to him. “Don’t touch that one. Don’t go there. I can’t do this.” She said.

His eyes lit up.

“What?” She asked turning round to him.

“Nothing.” He said.” Come on we need to go.”

They collected the children and walked out to his car. He settled the twins in their seats before putting Megan in hers.

She caught him looking at her again.

“Tell me.” She said softly.

He shook his head.

“It’s nothing. Seriously.” He reached out to her and she sighed before putting her hand in his. He pulled her to him for a long dramatic kiss. Feeling her quiver from his touch.

He drove them to Yabbie Creek and they pulled the stroller out of the boot and put Megan in first before one of the twins. Sophie held her hands up and Roman picked his daughter up and carried her, leaving Georgie to travel in the stroller.

“Where first?” he asked.

She smiled slowly.

“I think the baby shop.” She said. “I have an idea what to get Nic.”

He held out his hand to her, but she shook her head. He looked at her but she glanced quickly away. He sighed.

They went into the shop and she picked up a few things putting them in a shopping basket. She added some things she needed for the children. Roman held out his hand and she handed over the laden basket to him. He grinned at her but she didn’t smile back.

“El?” He asked.

“I’m fine. I’ve got a bit of a headache actually.” She told him. “I think that is everything. We need to go to that toy store next.”

He looked at Sophie and Georgie.

“We do? All of us? Are you sure these two aren’t banned?” he asked.

She chuckled.

“They weren’t the ones who knocked over the display.” She told him and watched the slow colour that washed over his face.

“I better wait outside with the children.” He suggested.

“You could do but I have a tendency to spoil the kids if I’m shopping alone.”

He grinned.

They were next in the queue and Roman pulled out his wallet to pay for the items and collected the bags. They were quickly stowed on the stroller and they made their way to the toyshop.

She handed over the stroller to him and collected a shopping trolley.

“I am so not going to like this am I?” he asked with a quick grin.

She smiled.

She walked around the shop with him. He struggled with Sophie for a moment before he finally set her down. He then had to pick Georgie out of the stroller. She laughed at him.

She put a variety of out door toys in the trolley and then collected a child’s tea set, choosing the safer plastic one although she looked at the china one for a long time. He smiled over at her and then added a couple of teddy bears to the trolley.

She grinned at him and he put his arm around her.

“Not a headache?” he asked softly.

She shook her head.

“I was annoyed at you.” She confessed.

She looked down at Sophie and had to abandon the trolley to go collect her daughter. Roman waited until she wasn’t looking and picked up the china tea set she had looked at and tucked that in the bottom of the trolley.

He looked down at Megan who had watched him.

“Don’t tell Mummy.” He said to her.

She waved her hands.

“Ok Meggy, I’ll buy you something too.” He told her.

She smiled at her daddy.

“Nicole’s sister.” He said grumpily.

“What’s the matter?” El asked him putting a wriggling Sophie in the child seat in the shopping trolley. “And go find Georgie.” She said breathlessly.

He grinned and went to find his son. He caught him and picked him up carrying him upside down for the most part. He managed to put him back in his stroller and strap him in, watching as he prepared to have a tantrum. They went to the tills.

“El I’ll sort this you take the kids outside.” He instructed.

She made to protest but he gave her a gentle nudge and she picked Sophie out and went outside to sit on a bench and wait for him. He waited until they were gone before adding a few dolls and another couple of teddy bears to the pile.

He had them gift wrap the china tea set and one of the dolls and teddy bears. Hiding these in the bottom of a bag. He paid for everything and went outside to join her.

“Where next?” he asked.

“Back to the car unless you want anything?” she said.

He looked at Georgie who was still snuffling.

“Temper tantrum?” he asked.

She nodded.

“And this one too.” She said indicating Sophie.

“We need to do a food shop.” He said.

She nodded.

“I’m not really up to dragging these two in a supermarket.”

He grinned.

“I suppose if we leave them in the car and crack open a window we’ll get told off?” he said looking serious.

She laughed.

They went back to the car and he lifted out Megan and handed her to El before taking Sophie and putting her in the stroller. He pushed it to the supermarket and turned to El.

“Twins or shopping trolley.”

“Twins.” She said.

He held out his arms for Megan and she handed over her younger daughter.

He placed her in the shopping trolley and began pushing it into the market. They went down all the aisles and he picked up their usual items before adding extra fruit and then cakes and biscuits. He put in pizza bases and items for topping.

“Make our own pizza?” she asked.

He smiled over at her.

“Not you, obviously, I was thinking of the kids.” He said to her.

She sighed with relief.

“Because you know me and Adam have a good relationship going.” She said.

“I still can’t believe you are on first name terms with the pizza delivery guy.” He said to her with a smile.

She chuckled.

“I’m on far more intimate terms with the guy who works at the diner.” She told him grinning.

“Diner.” Sophie said.

“No.” she told her daughter.

She looked at her mother and two big tears appeared in her eyes.

“Diner.” She said again.

“Not if you are going to shout at me.” She said to her reasonably.

“Did that used to work with Mike?” he asked as they moved to the tills.

She nodded.

“It’s just your genes that don’t seem to accept logic.”

“Ha.” He said grumpily.

“Ok you pay for this I’ll take the children.” He told her.

She grinned.

“Over your limit?” she asked.

“Not yet.” He handed over the keys to the car. “I’ll meet you back there in 15.”

He grabbed hold of Megan and pressed a kiss to El.

He walked quickly to the jeweller where he found her eternity ring, looking in the window. He saw Sophie checking out the diamond rings and grinned. He was doubly determined that Nic wasn’t ever going to baby-sit again.

“Which necklace?” he asked Megan.

She pointed to a bracelet.

“Close Meggy.” He said to her and pressed a kiss to her.

She looked at him.

“Urgur.” She said and pointed to the bracelet again.

“You think Mummy would like that?” he asked her.

“Uhgg “ she said and pointed to it.

He went inside and asked to see the bracelet. He held it up and Meggy clapped her hands excitedly.

“Great.” He muttered. “I’m taking shopping tips from a baby.”

He looked at Sophie.

“What do you think Sophie?” he asked her.

She pointed to the diamond ring.

He grinned.

“I’ll take this bracelet. Can you gift wrap it for me?” He said to the shop assistant.

“We do a line in children’s jewellery.” He was informed.

He refused to look at Sophie because he expected her to be grinning. He made his way back to the car just as El was loading the last of the shopping in it.

She smiled at him.

“I like it when you disappear on a mysterious shopping trip.” She said softly. “Do I get it now?”

He grinned over at her.

“All this time I thought their impatience came from me.”

She chuckled.

“Nope that is my gene.” She said.

She helped him put the children in their seats and he lifted the stroller in the back. He held out his hands for the keys and she put them in his hand. He used it as the chance to pull her into his arms.

“Are you ok El?” he asked.

She nodded.

“Army stuff.” She said.

“And him.”

She nodded again.

He kissed her slowly and she lent against him.

“I can’t keep ..” she began. “I just need him gone.” She said finally.

He nodded.

“I know El.”

“And that another thing. I’m Ella. I’m taking my name back.”

“Ella.” He said softly.

She flinched before looking at him. She put her fingers on his lips.

“Say it again.”

“Ella.” He said.

She smiled slowly.

“I love you Ella. My Ella.” He said to her.

She looked at him.

“I love you too, now what did you buy me?” she asked.

He grinned.

“Get in the car woman.” He grumbled. “And wait.”

He climbed behind the wheel and drove them home.

They put the children in the back garden while they unloaded the car. He distracted her with putting away the groceries while he took the packages up stairs for later.

He walked up behind her.

“Have you heard from Geoff?” he asked.

She shook her head.

“Aden and Belle are happy for us to have the kids. Pick up Saturday afternoon and take back Sunday. Including Tyler.” She grinned. “Although we should probably expect Belle to ring up repeatedly and check on him.”

He helped her put away the last of the shopping before they went to sort out the things they bought from the baby store and toyshop.

She put the things she’d selected for Nic to one side and took the rest upstairs. She went into their bedroom and stopped.

He stood behind her.

“What are they?” she asked pointing to the packages.

“Just something for you.” He smiled at her.

She looked at him.

“Even though I was a b*tch to you earlier.”

He smiled.

“El I love you.” He said.

She went over to her side of the bed and looked at the packages on the pillow. She opened the box first and saw the china tea set. Then opened the one with the doll in and finally the teddy bear.

She grinned at him with tears in her eyes.

“Why?” She asked him softly.

“I figured that you didn’t have a lot of toys growing up.” He told her. “Thought I would give you a few.”

He moved to sit next to her and she threw her arms around him.

“I didn’t. My mother didn’t think I needed them. I had mostly educational toys and books. Michael bought me Travel Bear when I went to boarding school.” she confessed.

He grinned.

She sat the doll and the teddy bear on her dresser next to her travel bear and stood the boxed tea set next to it.

He stood and walked down the stairs with her and they put the things for Nic in the gift bag she had collected out of the wardrobe. She added a gift bow.

He pulled out his phone and read the incoming message.

“It’s a boy.” He told her.

She grinned.

“What did I tell you?” she asked. “Do you think Colleen will be up to watching the unholy trinity for an hour or so?” she asked him.

“You know you have to stop referring to our children like that in front of Geoff he gets upset.” Roman grinned at her.

She shook her head.

“It was him who first nicknamed them that.” She told him laughing.

“I’ll check.” He said pulling out his phone again and ringing.

She went out back and called to them picking up Megan out of the playpen.

Sophie and Georgie came running and laughing.

“Hello.” She said to them.

“Mama.” Georgie said breathlessly.

“Hello little man.” She said.

She sat on the grass and pulled out the bottle she had in her pocket. She put Megan down and pulled out the small plastic stopper and blew through the circlet on the end sending bubbles into the air.

Sophie tried to catch them and she giggled.

“Little man, do you want to blow bubbles?” she asked him.

She put the stopper back in the bottle and pulled it out. Georgie blew through the end and a couple of bubbles came out.

Roman joined them.

“Hey.” He said grinning.

“Irene is going to come over with Angel and Colleen. They will look after them for an hour. “We are to take Angel with us for the visit.”

“Very organised.” She told him grinning.

He looked over and saw Cookie flat out asleep.

“They been chasing her again?” he asked.

She nodded.

“And the kittens. They ran into the orchard.” She said, with a wave at the fruit trees he’d planted a few weeks back.

He looked over at them seeing the furry monsters hiding in the trees where the kids couldn’t get at them.

“Maybe we should think about getting a puppy?” he suggested and looked up to see El looking at him and without turning his head he could feel the yellow green eyes of Cookie on him. “Ok, I take that one back.”

They sat together until he heard a car door slam.

“That will be Irene.” He said.

He stood and reached down for Megan walking to the front of the house.

“Hello Darl.” Irene called.

“Hey.” Roman said.

She smiled at Megan.

“She looks like her mum don’t she?” Irene said softly.

“Yes thank god!” Roman chuckled.

He led them into the house and saw that El had settled the twins into the lounge in front of the tv. He tucked Megan into the playpen and took Angel from Irene.

Colleen went up to them and they smiled at her.

El came down the stairs and picked up the gift bag.

“Be good.” She said to the twins.

Sophie looked at her as if to say I’m always good.

“Ready grandpa?” she asked him.

“El that isn’t funny.” He grumbled.

“Thanks you two.” She called to Irene and Colleen.

They went out to the car. Roman settled Angel in the back and drove to the hospital.

They went straight to the maternity wing and found Nic’s room.

“Hey.” Roman said softly.

Nic looked up.

“Hey Dad, meet your new grandson.” She told him handing over the blue wrapped bundle.

“What are you going to call him?” El asked her giving Nic a kiss on the cheek.

“We’ve been waiting for you because you named Angel.” Nic told her. “We know what we think but we’re a bit stuck.”

She grinned at her.

“I’m really bad at names.” She told her.

“We like the idea you have of giving them names that mean something so we chose some but can’t decide in which order.” Geoff told her.

“Ok.” El said.

Geoff led her over to one side of the room and showed her three bits of paper. She put them in order and he grinned.

He went back over to Nic and showed her.

She smiled.

“Thank you step-mama.” She said.

She looked at her dad.

“His name is Robert Harris Miles Campbell.” She said softly.

Her dad looked over at his princess and grinned at her.

“Nic I love you.” He said emotionally.

“I love you too dad.“ She told him. “I used the swing when Natalie wasn’t there.” She told him.

He looked up in shock at El and she just smiled at him. She walked around to him and put her arm around his waist looking at the baby.

“He’s lovely.” She said.

Roman grinned at her and handed him over for a cuddle.

She smiled and sat down in the chair hugging the new baby to her. He picked up the gift bag and gave that to Nic.

She grinned and looked at the things inside.

“How did you know?” she asked El.

“You practically gave me a list Nic. Hints are supposed to be subtle you know.” El grinned.

“Yeah ok.” She yawned. She held out her arms to Geoff and he handed over their daughter, she gave Angel a cuddle.

“Hey Mama’s girl.” She said softly to her. “You are a big sister now.”

They stayed for a while longer before Roman led them home. They went inside and saw that Colleen and Irene were playing with the kids.

“Strike me!” Irene said as soon as she saw them. “How do you keep up with them?” she asked.

El grinned.

“I just let them outside until they run out of energy.” She told her. “Nic has decided to keep Angel for a bit longer.” She added.

“Great, so I can put me feet up.” Irene said.

“Do you want a drink before you go?” Roman asked them.

Irene shook her head.

“No thanks Darl. I need to be off.” She muttered.

They watched as the twins said their goodbyes and showed the two women out.

“You told her about the swing?” he said as soon as they were alone, the children despatched to bed at their normal time.

She snuggled up to him.

“You did.” She said. “The other weekend when they saw you putting the swing set together. You kept looking at her so she eventually asked me what was wrong.” El shrugged. “I just said did she remember having a swing. She said no at first then after about an hour came up to me and said it was blue.” She looked at him. “Then she said that she used to swing on it when it was dark. A little while after that she remembered you putting the swing together and it al fell into place after that.”

He kissed her.

“And what did you say after that?” he asked.

She smiled.

“I said that maybe she should talk to you sometime.” She murmured.

“Thank you.” He said.

“I’m going to go up to bed.” She told him.

He kissed her again and followed her a short while later. He saw that she was asleep in the bed curled up with the new teddy bear and he chuckled. He placed the other present on her bedside table and climbed into bed beside her. As soon as she felt him next to her she immediately turned over and snuggled up to him, the bear forgotten. He fell asleep soon after.

Chapter 64

She woke slowly still curled up in his arms.

“Morning.” He said without bothering to open his eyes.

“Uh huh. Sneaky SAS tricks at this time of the morning?” she groaned. “What time is it anyway?” she added.

“Why don’t you look?” he suggested.

She looked at him.

“Don’t bother looking at me like that either.” He said still not opening his eyes,

She glared at him before sticking her tongue out at him. She rolled over and looked on her beside cabinet.

She picked up the package and touched the carefully curled ribbon.

He leaned over to her.

“Good morning.” He said and kissed the back of her neck.

“Sneaky husband.” She grinned.

She opened the box and saw the silver bracelet inside.

“Wow.” She said. “It’s beautiful.”

“Meggy chose it so if you don’t like you’ll have to have a serious girl talk with her. I wanted to buy you a necklace.”

“No its beautiful.” She said.

He reached over and picked it out of the box and put it around her wrist fiddling with the catch for a moment. She turned back to him and kissed him passionately.

“I could get used to waking up like this.” He said softly against her lips.

“You mean you aren’t already?”

He smiled and looked down at her face before pushing her tangled hair back and stroking her cheek softly.

“Ella I love you. “ he said emotionally.

She smiled.

He looked at her for a long moment before leaning over and talking softly into her ear. She listened to his words and let them sink in before she nodded.

“Yes?” he asked.

She nodded again, her lip quivering.

He kissed her again just as the first cries from Megan came from the nursery.

He rolled over and grinned before sitting up and going to see to his daughter. She reached down to the floor for the forgotten teddy and picked it up and cuddled with it for a time before joining him in the nursery.

He looked at her and she nodded again. He held out his hand and she went over to him and he put his arm around her pulling her into the warmth of his body. She kissed him for a long moment before heading down the stairs to feed the cats and then washed her hands and started on the twin’s breakfast and made coffee.

He joined her with the twins and Meggy curled in his arms. She looked at him and smiled before picked up Georgie and putting him in his highchair and the same with Sophie.

He clicked the radio on like normal and El came over and turned it up when one of her favourite songs came on. He grinned at her as she started singing along. She gave the twins their oatmeal and also a small dish for Megan. The twins were able to mostly feed themselves although they still thought it fun to plaster the kitchen walls on occasion. Roman sat with Megan and fed her.

She chopped up a couple of bananas and strawberries and put them in another bowl. Roman reached down and took a strawberry for himself. She poured out the coffee and sat next to him.

He smiled at her and she looked at him. Both of them lost in their thoughts. Eventually they cleared up the breakfast stuff and Roman left her with the children while he got ready for a shift at the diner.

He came down and kissed her again before going to work.

She looked at the twins and ushered them up the stairs to get dressed. She carried Megan before setting her down on the upstairs landing and letting her practice her crawling. She set about washing the twins and Megan and getting them in some clothes. She found a few items that no longer fit Georgie and put them to one side for either Belle or Nic, who ever wanted them.

Then picking out a number of toys she put them in a basket to carry downstairs and put in the playhouse. She grabbed hold of Megan and picked her up just as she reached for the basket.

“No you don’t little madam.” She told her.

She moved the basket and went for her shower, putting Megan in her crib. The twins wandered in and out of the bathroom listening to her singing off key under the spray of hot water.

She stepped out and went into the bedroom getting dressed quickly in vest top and shorts. She picked up the basket putting it on one hip before getting Megan and balancing her on the other. She carried them down the stairs first and put Megan in the playpen before getting the twins down. She led them through to the garden and let them run around while she stocked up the playhouse with toys. They came with her and started pulling the things out of it immediately. She smiled at them and left them a moment to fetch Megan.

She put her on the grass and watched as she went over to Sophie. She started talking to her in the same twin dialect they used and Sophie answered back pushing a brightly coloured ball at her.

El sat on the grass herself and played with them. Georgie came over and cuddled with her for a bit too. She looked up to see Amy-belle and Brett coming towards them.

“Hey guys.” She called.

Aden and Belle soon joined them with Tyler.

“Hey guys.” El said as soon as she saw them.

“Are you sure you want Tyler too?” Belle asked quickly.

El grinned.

“Course I do. Don’t you want a night of sleep?” she said.

Aden’s eyes twinkled.

“Something like that.” He said softly.

Belle glared at him before grinning.

“The bassinet is set up on the veranda if you want to put him down.” El turned to the kids and smiled. “I have loads of toys out here so are you happy to stay and play?” she asked them.

Amy-belle took charge and started organising everyone.

The adults grinned.

El led them over to the house closing the gate behind her. The play area had a fence around it so the kids were safe; although Roman had started saying something about adding some barbed wire for when they could climb over the fence. She thought he was joking but sometimes…

Aden and Belle sat on the veranda, Belle having finally put Tyler in the bassinet. El brought out a tray of drinks for them and sat down.

“Mike stayed at Ollie’s last night but they will be over with us later so I have extra helpers and Roman will be home at 5.” She told them.

“Did you see Robert yesterday?” Belle asked.

El grinned.

“Yes and you guys will have to stop having kids. Roman keeps getting broody and looking at me funny.”

Aden chuckled.

“We’ve stopped haven’t we?” he asked his wife.

She smiled at him and patted his leg without answering.

“Belle?” he asked her again, a note of panic entering his voice.

“Yes dear.” She said to him in a saccharine tone of voice.

El laughed at them.

“Does Roman seriously want another baby?” Belle asked her.

El nodded and looked over at the three.

“He missed out when the twins were born and Megan is definitely a Daddies Girl but I think he wants another one. He denies it when he is asked of course. He calls her Meggy and she laughs at him but when I do it she doesn’t like it.” El sighed. “I’ve tried telling him that 6 are enough but he just smiles.”

“Yes it’s the smile.” Belle said looking at Aden.

He stood and folded his arm across his chest.

“Wasn’t me this time.” he defended grinning. “I admit it, I talked you into Amy-Belle.”

He lifted his fingers and did a slow count chuckling when the math worked out.

“Yes.” El said. “You, Nic, Mike, Georgie, Sophie and Megan.”

Belle smiled at her husband, seeing the look of pride on his face at being included in the family.

“Speaking of that. Roman mentioned something about back rent and you owing him money.” El added.

Aden grinned.

“I paid him honest.” He laughed.

They laughed just as Geoff and Nic turned up with their brood.

“Hey guys.” Nic said softly.

She looked tired and fragile.

“Now I know it is too soon for Robbie to visit but we needed to drive him somewhere to stop him crying.” Nic said and burst into tears herself. Angel went over to her and hugged her knees.

“Hey Daughter.” El said softly. “Are you having a tough time?”

Nic nodded.

“The spawn of Satan has been delivered and he doesn’t stop.” She groaned.

Geoff looked at Aden.

“No seriously Aden I’m thinking maybe an exorcism or something.” He said and on cue the baby started screaming.

Nic cried even harder.

Belle came and sat next to her and put her arms around her.

El came and scooped Robbie out of his carrier and cuddled him, she walked him down to the bottom of the garden and spoke to him. She told him a story about the trees and the stars and the kittens. Taking softly to him all the while he was crying. Eventually he quietened down.

She brought him back and placed him in Nic’s arms. She continued talking in the same softly spoken voice and led Nic down to the garden with her. She stroked the baby softly and Nic’s back until they were both calmed.

“Talk to him Nic. The way you talked to him when he was inside you. Just nonsense if you can’t think of anything.” She said to her softly.

Nic looked at her baby and began to tell him about how he came to her. How unhappy she was because of some bad things that happened and how much her husband’s love meant to her and that as soon as they made love she knew they had made a baby, even though they hadn’t been trying. She told him how much she loved him and wanted him. The baby listened to the soft voice and before finally yawning and eventually falling asleep.

Nic looked at El.

“How did you know what to do?” she asked her.

“The baby didn’t recognise your voice Nic. He only heard it through the womb so he needed to hear it again and recognise it. The baby doctors have a term for it but I can’t remember that. Mike was worse than Robbie. It was like he knew he had lost both his Mum and Dad and I don’t think I slept for a week.“ She said leading them back up the garden.

Belle came over to Nic and hugged her.

She smiled at them.

“I knew my mum would know what to do.” She said to her.

“Mum?” El asked. “I’ll have you know I’m not quite old enough thank you very much.”

Nic grinned.

Belle looked at her.

“Hang on.” She said. “How come we don’t know how old you are. When is your birthday?”

El looked at them.

“We didn’t celebrate birthday’s in my family.” She said.

Nic gasped.

“What, you never had a birthday party?” she asked.

El shook her head.

Nic welled up with tears again.

“That is so sad.” She said.

El grinned.

“Nope it’s cool because that way you’ll never know just how old I am.” She said and kissed Nic.

She went into the kitchen not seeing the looks that they shared. She came out moments later and took drinks to the children and pretended to ignore the sudden silence between them all.

Mike and Ollie came in through the front door with Roman and ran immediately out the back. Roman following at a more sedate pace.

“Hey.” He greeted everyone.

Nic looked at him. She glanced at the others.

“When is El’s birthday?” she asked him.

He smiled.

“She doesn’t celebrate.” He said quickly. “Don’t go there guys.“ he warned.

He looked over at her seeing to the children. Mike went up to her and she hugged him.

“But Dad.” Nic began and hugged the baby a little tighter.

“Nic. You’ll hurt her if you do anything.” He said. “She didn’t have a good relationship with her mother.” He said to her and placed a kiss to her temple.

Nic nodded slowly but looked at Belle and the two women welled up with tears.

Geoff and Aden quickly walked away from the overflow of hormones. They went into the children’s bit of the garden and organised a quick game of soccer with the kids. El scooped up Megan and brought her inside for a nap. She joined Belle and Nic.

“Why are you both crying?” she asked seeing that all the men were now busy, strangely.

“Because you never had a birthday party.” Nic said.

She laughed and moved to sit in between them.

“I’m happy not celebrating really.” She told them putting her arms around them. “Mike had loads of parties and he always buys me something on his birthday. And the twins will have one when they turn 3 so that they remember it. It’s all planned out already.”

Belle cried harder.

“Mike buys you a present?” she asked.

“Yes. From the time he understood that I didn’t have birthdays.” El said and felt herself welling up with tears.

“See Nic.” Belle sobbed. “She does need a birthday.”

Nic nodded unable to stop crying.

“Girls you are making me cry. I don’t want a birthday.” She said tears now falling down her face.

Roman looked at Aden and Geoff and Mike. They looked back at him. He grinned and leaned close to them.

“Just because I was in the SAS does not mean I can deal with two hormonal woman and my, now crying, wife.” He told them softly. “So don’t even think of volunteering me for that mission.”

“Why is Mum crying anyway?” Mike asked.

“Because we found out she doesn’t have birthdays.” Geoff told him.

“Oh crap.” Mike said. “You went there?” he looked again at Roman. And gave him a nudge. “She’s your wife.” He reminded him.

He shook his head.

“You started with birthdays.” He told them.

Aden grinned.

“Well I could go. I’m sure El will need a kiss and a cuddle to get through it.” he said.

“Ha ha like I’m going to fall for that one.” Roman looked at his foster son. “Go ahead.” He instructed him.

Aden shrugged and began walking over to her, he turned at the gate and smirked at Roman.

Roman folded his arms across his chest before swearing and racing after Aden. He moved swiftly and swept the other mans legs out from under him and knocked him to the ground.

“Telling me to stop would have worked just as well.” Aden said grinning.

Roman grunted at him and lent down.

“Yes, but this way you’ll remember I’m trained to kill.” He told Aden, with a quick flash of his grin, and helped him back up.

He vaulted over the gate and walked over to Ella. With an equally quick movement he picked her up from the middle of the two girls and carried her away from everyone into the house. He went up the stairs with her and sat her on the bed.

“Why?” She asked him.

“Two reasons. Aden was planning to come over and comfort you and you need to have a birthday to stop everyone being sad that you don’t have birthdays.” He said and sat next to her.

She wiped tears form her eyes.

“Can’t we just tell them its on the same day as something sad and get them off my back.” She suggested.

He grinned.

“You think that would work? Belle is a journalist, she’ll find out.” Roman told her.

She sighed.

“Fine I’ll have a birthday party.” She said and buried her face in her hands.

“El.” He said softly.

She launched herself into his arms.

“You don’t think that …” she began.

He interrupted.

“I love you and trust you.” He said. “Aden was fooling around and I know you would never do anything like that.”

She sighed against his lips and felt his arms go tighter around her.

“I’ll leave you for a few minutes ok.” he said.

She nodded.

He stood and walked downstairs and out the back. He saw that Nic and Belle had pulled themselves together and had stopped crying.

El came down and stood next to Roman.

“November 26th.” She told them. “And I do not want a big fuss. We’ll have dinner out somewhere us adults.” She told them.

Nic blinked back more tears.

“No cake.” She added looking at Belle, whose face immediately fell.

Roman grinned and pressed a kiss to her head. She snuggled into him and smiled as she looked up at his face.

Chapter 65

El pushed the stroller into the diner and sat down gratefully on the sofa. Roman walked over to her and smiled.

She handed over Megan.

“Temper tantrums.” She told him. “And these two until I brought them here.”

Roman looked at her and she nodded.

He grinned.

“You need a drink?” he asked.

“No, I need you to act like their father and take responsibility.” She said loudly.

Irene walked out of the kitchen and looked over at her.

“El.” He said. “I can’t flaming win.” He said snidely.

She looked at him.

“Fine have it your way you usually do. I’ve had enough.” She stood.

“No.” he caught hold of her hand. “Finish talking to me not running off like a kid.”

She snatched her hand away.

“You are a fine one to talk.” She muttered at him.

He stood up and faced her.

“El.” He said. “You can’t still be mad at me over Mike.”

She looked down.

“You had no right to sign that form.” She shouted. “I don’t want him to have anything to do with the army.”

“Well tough. Either I’m his father or I’m not.”

“Then not.” She sneered.

“Great.” He shouted. “Perhaps you want to reconsider me as a husband too.” He said.

She sneered.

“Like you’ve even been that lately.” She muttered at him crossly.

“Well it solves another problem for you if we just call it quits because I’m still in the army.” He said.

She picked Megan out of his arms.

“Suits me I’ve had enough of you and I am fed up with living here. I’ll have your stuff packed for you to collect tonight.“ she told him. “Give me my key back.” She said.

“I’ve got something even better for you.”

He reached onto his hand and pulled off his wedding ring and thrust it in her hand.

“There was no need for you to do that. It wasn’t like I actually paid a lot of money for it. “ She sneered at him and put it in her pocket.

She turned round and pushed the stroller out and left the diner.

Roman walked back into the kitchen and swore.

Irene followed him.

“What going on between you twos?” she asked.

“I signed this permission slip for Mike to visit an army base and she’s gone nuts.” He said angrily. “I can’t do nothing right anymore. She threw away her dinner last night because I used extra seasoning in it and she didn’t like the taste.” Roman muttered.

“Irene I know we’ve been though a lot but I really think this is it.”

She patted him on the arm.

“I am sorry to hear that Darl.” She said.

“What is wrong with your wife Roman? “Colleen asked flustered. “She near ran me right over.”

Roman swore again before looking over at Colleen.

“She’s not my wife anymore Colleen we just split up for good.” He muttered. “Irene are you ok if I go?” he asked.

She nodded and watched worriedly as Roman left and went outside.

“Well, stone me whatever is the world coming too when those two nice people can’t make a go of it?” Colleen said to Irene.

Irene looked at her as the other woman pulled on her apron.

“They seemed so happy the other night when we looked after the little ones too.” Colleen added.

“Well Darl, appearances can be deceptive.” Irene said. “Can you make a start clearing those tables?” she asked Colleen.

The other woman nodded and went outside.

A while later Leah walked into the kitchen and looked at Irene.

“Is it true?” she asked. “I was just on the beach with VJ and saw Roman.”

Irene nodded.

“It wasn’t nice I can tell you. He looked gutted Leah.”

“Poor Roman and poor Ella.” Leah said softly.

Irene nodded.

“After all they have been through.” Leah said.

Irene nodded again.

Roman stood on the end of the pier for a long time after an age he turned around and went to his car and climbed in behind the wheel.

He wasn’t surprised to see Nic’s car in front of the house and he squared his shoulders for the scene to come.

“Dad.” Nic greeted him. “What’s going on?” she asked him.

El stood at the top of the stairs and pulled his suitcase behind her.

“Here.” She told him.

He looked at her.

“I want the keys back.” El said.

He pulled a set out of his pocket and handed them over.

“El.” Nic said. “You can’t throw away a marriage like this. You taught me that.”

El shook her head.

“It’s no good flogging a dead horse.” Roman said. “And you don’t live with her Nic.” He sneered.

El folded her arms across herself.

“I used to be upset with thinking out marriage was over I mean how many times can we revive the thing but today I just am so sick of it I just want you gone. “ she said calmly.

Roman looked at her and picked up his case.

“I’ll make arrangements to see the children and collect the rest of my stuff.” He told her. “And don’t even think about trying to make things difficult, by I don’t know disappearing to your studio.”

She breathed in through her teeth and hissed at him.

“I will go where I bloody well like and you won’t stop me.”

He grinned.

“I’ll have a restraining order put on you so fast your head will spin if you try any funny business with my kids.” He said to her.

She reached out and slapped him.

“Only Megan is yours.” She shouted at him. “And I almost wish she were the child of my rapist just so I could tell you to go to hell.”

“Maybe you weren’t really raped. You never did let on how many men you’ve screwed.” He said nastily.

She screamed and launched herself at him becoming hysterical.

Roman reached out and slapped her across the face before walking out of the door. He slammed it behind him.

El turned to Nic.

“Get out.” She said to her. “I’m done with the lot of you.”

Nic ran out crying.

Her dad was waiting outside and he hugged her for a long moment.

“It’s going to be ok Nic.” He said to her.

“You think you’ll get back together?” Nic asked hopefully.

Roman looked down at his daughter.

“No I don’t want to get back with her Nic.” He said softly. “It’s time to move on.”

He helped Nic into her car and watched it drive away.

Chapter 66

He drove for a while before pulling over. Getting out of the car he walked for a little while checking no one was around he vaulted over a fence and ran through a field before finding his way to the back to the house. She was waiting at the back door.

“You pack a punch Mister.” El said to him.

“I am so sorry.” He muttered and went over to her. He placed a gentle kiss on the already darkening bruise. “You moved your head at the last minute and I knew it was going to connect.” He groaned.

She put her arms around him and kissed him.

“Do you think everyone believes us?” she asked.

He nodded.

“That was a nice touch trying to run over Colleen, gave me a chance to tell her firsthand.”

She grinned.

He held out his hand and she put his ring in it.

“Thank you but I was hoping for my keys. They belong to the other house. I’d like somewhere to sleep tonight” He grinned. “And if there is a next time put a few more clothes in the suitcase I nearly dropped it in surprise it was so light.”

She chuckled.

She put her arms around his waist and pressed her head against him.

“Hopefully there won’t be a next time.” she said.

He leaned down and kissed her.

Grinning, he said softly in her ear.

“I hear your husband has left you, how do you fancy a bit of fun.”

She giggled.

“No behave yourself I am not that kind of girl.”

He smiled at her.

“Are the children ok?” he asked.

She nodded.

“I told them Mummy and Daddy were grumpy because we didn’t get a lot of sleep and Daddy would go give them a kiss soon. And if they were really good they would get ice cream.”

He looked at her.

“And did they understand all that?” he asked.

“I think they caught the bit about ice cream I had to give them two bowls.” She smiled.

He looked at her.

“Ok, they saw me have a second one and I bribed them to not tell you.”

She grinned at him.

“El I love you and I’m sorry for the things I just said. You know I didn’t mean them”

She pulled him close.

“I know, I love you too.”

He walked to the stairs and pulled her after him.

“I need you. “ he said when she looked at him.

She laughed and pulled his T-shirt off, kissing him. She dropped the T-shirt to the floor and went with him climbing up the stairs. They continued to kiss and touch each other frantically. She saw a scatter of her clothes all the way down the stairs and she grinned at him.

He laughed and pulled her into the bedroom. They fell on to the bed in a tangle of limbs. Her hands were everywhere touching him and caressing him. He found her sensitive full breasts and she arched against his touch.

He dragged his lips away from hers.

“Does this count as make up sex?” he asked.

“We faked the argument so I don’t think so. How about an extra marital affair?” she suggested.

He laughed and lifted her further onto the bed.

“Just so long as the argument is the only thing faked today.” He said.

She kissed along his jaw her breath coming in frantic pants.

“I think it pretty much will be. I want you so much.” She told him.

He smiled down at her.

“I love you El.” He said. “I need you.”

“Call me Ella.” She told him. “It’s my name and I want it back.” She gasped.

He slid into her and whispered the name Ella in her ear. She moaned and pulled him close to her.

“I love you.” She gasped.

She lay in his arms feeling secure and happy. Just about to drift off to sleep she heard a car door slam. She climbed out of bed quick and looked out the window.

She groaned.

“It’s Nic and Aden. They are tag teaming me.” She said to him hearing the door open downstairs.

“She must be upstairs.” They heard Nic say.

He laughed.

“Don’t you dare Mister. You aren’t here remember get in the wardrobe.”

“El?” he said.

“Now.” She hissed at him.

He laughed again and climbed into the wardrobe she handed him his clothes and poked him in the ribs to stop him laughing.

Nic must have stopped and seen the discarded clothes because she went quiet.

She pulled on a dress and went to face the music downstairs.

Nic was sitting on the sofa tapping her foot angrily.

“What are you two doing here?” El asked them.

Nic held up the lace bra.

“What have you been doing more to the point. My god El you kicked my Dad out an hour ago and your screwing around.” She muttered.

El sat down on a chair she’d pulled up from the dining set and looked over at them.

“I admit It Nic I just had sex.” She said. “Really good sex.” She said.

Nic looked at her and threw the bra at her.

“You are still wearing your wedding ring.” She said. “You complete sl*t.”

El tried to look guilty or ashamed but she was still half-smiling. Aden couldn’t even look at her she noted after a moment. She wanted to let them know what was going on but she couldn’t.

“It’s not what you think. Your dad and I have been having a lot of arguments and we really can’t keep going on like this. We reached the last straw.” She said to them.

Aden walked over to her.

“Did he do this?” Aden asked a touch of anger in his voice as he looked at the bruise on her face.

She pulled away.

“It’s nothing.” She said.

Aden looked at Nic and she looked at the floor.

“You saw him do this and you did nothing to stop him?” he asked the other woman.

“Aden stop.” El said standing up.

She caught hold of his hand and held it.

“We hit each other. “ she told him.

Aden looked disgusted.

“Nic take me home.” He said to her.

“Aden.” El said softly. “It just reached that moment when it just ended. This is not what ended it. He didn’t mean to hit me.” She tried to stop him being angry with Roman.

“El, he hit you and you can’t take him back after that.” He told her softly.

She nodded.

Nic went out to the door.

“What about what you said about Georgie and Sophie?” Nic asked sadly.

“I lied Nic. I’m not proud of it. I wanted to hurt him.” she said finally.

“Will you..” she began.

El felt herself well up with tears.

“You are their sister Nic of course you will see them.” she said to her. She finally got them outside and watched as the car went up the driveway.

Roman joined her less than a second later and pushed the door shut. She collapsed sobbing in his arms.

“It will be ok El.” He promised.

She tried to tell him she knew that but the words wouldn’t come out. He led her over to the sofa and sat down with her in his arms until she stopped crying. He wiped her tears away with his thumbs and looked into her eyes.

“I love you.” He said again.

“I love you.” She replied. “But I hurt Nic and Aden was mad at you.”

He smiled sadly.

“We knew this wasn’t going to be easy.” He said. “But it is worth it.” he handed her his phone and she read the messages on it.

She shuddered.

“When do you think he will come?” she asked.

“I don’t know but Gardy thinks you are alone so he will come to get you El. You know that.”

She nodded.

“Let me know if you can’t do this and we’ll find another way.” He said to her.

She looked at him, a single tear trickled down her cheek.

“I can’t live with him on the loose.” She said. “I’m starting to dream again and he has already cost us so much.”

She sobbed.

“I just want to be happy with you and bring our children up together.” She said.

He smiled sadly.

“I know I want that so much too.” He groaned and pulled her to him, lifting her into his lap. He put his arms around her and held her for a long time.

Roman left her asleep on the sofa while he took care of the children. He made dinner for them all and left El’s to one side until she woke up. Just after it got dark he saw a figure looming out the back and grinning he opened the back door.

“Hardcore.” Jacko grinned at him.

“Mate are you a sight for sore eyes.” He said.

“How’s the Mrs?” Jacko asked.

“I’m ok.” El said softly joining them.

Jacko whistled.

“I’d hate to think what you look like when you argue for real.” He said going over to her and seeing the bruise.

She smiled at him.

“I forgot and moved my head at the last minute so he really did hit me.” She explained.

“El.” Roman said.

She went over to him.

“Are the kids ok?” she asked.

He nodded.

“I’m ready.” She said.

Jacko grinned.

“Not quite my lovely I have a few presents for you.” He opened his bag and pulled out some things.

“This is a stab vest.” Jacko told her gently.

She nodded.

“This is a panic alarm. It is hooked up to us here and also the police station. Please don’t give it to the children to play with.”

She half grinned.

Roman went to the cupboard next to the fridge. He hooked out a packet of pills and she took two of them in her hand, needing to clear her head. She smiled at him gratefully.

“El you are ok about this?” Jacko asked.

She nodded, but couldn’t prevent a tear from falling.

“Please don’t let him get me again.” She said finally.

Roman handed her the water to swallow the tablets. He took her in his arms and held her feeling her shake.

“I promise.” He said.

She leaned against him closing her eyes for a moment. The sighing she stood up straight and took the tablets swallowing all the water.

“Wishing that were vodka?” he asked.

She nodded again with a grin.

She picked up the vest and went up the stairs to get changed seeing that Roman had cleared away all their discarded clothes from earlier. She looked at the bed and he’d placed a rose on her pillow with a note on it. She opened it up and read the poem silently. Looking over to the doorway she grinned at him.

“I thought you didn’t do romance.” She said.

He grinned back at her.

“I needed you to know how brave I think you are and how much I love you.” He said.

She stood and placed a very gentle kiss on his lips.

He turned and left her to get changed making sure the children were settled. He waited for her and walked down the stairs with her.

She squeezed his hand and took a glass of water out on the front veranda. She made it look like she was reading.

Jacko and Roman waited.

He pulled his phone out and read the incoming message. He grinned and nodded at Jacko handing the phone over.

“I can see her right now hardcore.” Jacko whispered reading it out.

A second later another message appeared on the screen.

Jacko handed the phone back and Roman read it swearing silently.

“He’s here.” Roman said quietly. “He’s just described what she is wearing.”

Jacko nodded and went round the back scanning in the darkness to see if anything was disturbed.

He signalled Roman and he nodded crawling low to the back of the house. They’d left the back door open so they could ease outside quicker if they needed to. All the lights were off aside from the one outside with El. They heard a crashing sound and Roman motioned for Jacko to go to the front of the house round the back to the left and he chose the other side.

Chapter 67

El screamed and pushed Gardy away.

“No.” she screamed again.

He pulled out his knife and she flailed against him.

“No” she shouted at him and tugged her arm.

He held her fast.

She pushed at him letting her weight fall against him. He dropped the knife trying to hold her and she managed to throw him off balance.

She grabbed the glass and threw it in his face and turned to run. He sprinted after her and knocked her to the floor.

“No” she screamed at the top of her voice. She kicked with her legs. He took a kick to his face and grunted. The second kick took him as much by surprise and he roared. She heard the animal sounds and screamed until her throat was raw. He grabbed her ankles and pulled them towards him. She twisted and turned failing at the gravel drive. She grabbed a handful of stones and threw them at him. He cried out and she was able to get a leg free she bent it at the knee and pushed down with her foot kicking herself away from him. Gardy held fast to her other leg and she twisted it in his grasp, She tried to pry his grip loose but felt her ankle sprain. She cried out in pain unable to stop the noise escaping her lips.

He squeezed her ankle trying to inflict more pain and get her to stop struggling but she kicked him again and again with her free leg.

“Die.” She hissed at him.

She felt like the struggle lasted ages but knew it was only mere minutes. She grabbed handfuls of the gravel and threw it at him. Over and over again until she heard him swearing at her. She could almost grin.

Suddenly she was lifted away and Jacko yanked Gardy pulling him back.

She clutched to Roman sobbing.

“El its ok.” he said quickly. He had to let her go as Gardy struggled with Jacko. He went over and tried to get hold of the other man.

El moved limping back to the house. She grabbed the panic button and pressed it before grabbing her phone and dialling. She had her back to the struggle and only turned when she heard the first gunshot.

She screamed as Jacko sank slowly to the ground. In seeming slow motion she saw Roman grab the gun and they struggled over it. She screamed again and again, feeling her heart about to explode. The second explosion from the gun was followed by a third and she saw Roman crumple to the gravel. She felt something die inside of her at watching her husband and soul mate collapse. Her screams were hysterical and she fell to the wooden deck of the veranda. She crawled toward Roman as she saw Gardy come to her.

Her hand touched something and she picked it up.

“You are mine Ella. You will always be mine.” Gardy said gasping.

She screamed.

“Never.” She cried. “I will never be yours.” She hissed between her teeth.

He took a step towards her and suddenly looked down seeing the spreading stain of crimson. He laughed. A reaction to the oxygen bubbles in his bloodstream. She turned the knife to herself and pressed it against her belly.

“Don’t come any closer.” She warned.

He took another step.

“Your babies Ella you won’t do it.”

“I will if I get to go to hell and wait for you.” She hissed at him.

He tooled another step.

She pressed down with the knife and gasped at the point pressed into her flesh. In the distance she heard the sirens from the police and the paramedics.

He stepped again and looked down, seeing the spreading crimson stain grow bigger.

She began to cry looking at the inert body of her husband shock setting in. Her hands shaking.

“Roman.” She called to him sobbing.

While she was looking at her husband Gardy took a massive step forward. He over balanced and the knife at her stomach pressed through the flesh. She screamed in pain falling back. She twisted away from him moaning. She looked down and the knife was buried into the hilt in her stomach. She pushed at Gardy and his inert body rolled over. She looked at his glassy eyes and prayed for his death.

Crawling over to Roman she gasped and cried out at the pain in her side.

“Please.” She gasped. “Please be alive.” She begged him, she saw the wound immediately and screamed. Pulling her T-shirt over her head crying out at the pain she wadded it up and pressed it on the bullet wound trying to stem the bleeding.

“I love you.” She cried out. “Please Roman.”

She looked at Jacko and knew she should check on him but she couldn’t leave Roman. She heard the twins crying but the sound came from a long way away.

“Roman. You are my soul mate. Don’t you dare leave me.” She said to him her lips feeling funny. She saw bright lights in front of her eyes but refused to stop pressing on his wound. She took a gasping breath and leaned over hearing his breath easing through his lips she sighed in relief.

“That’s it my love. Don’t stop. I need you so much.” She said feeling tired.

She closed her eyes for a minute and opened them again. She looked at the steady rise and fall of his chest.

“Roman I love you.” She told him. “Don’t leave me please.” She said again as her eyes closed.

She opened them and looked. She could see herself sitting next to Roman pressing on his wound. She wasn’t breathing. Michael stood next to her. He reached out and took her hand and led her away as the paramedics and police arrived.

Chapter 68

The hospital was filled. Charlie had let everyone know what had happened. Irene and Leah had taken in the twins and Megan looking after them. Nic had reluctantly placed Robbie and Angel with Belle while she waited for news.

After a long moment Rachel and Aden came out together. Nic clutched Geoff’s hand compulsively.

Aden sat the other side of her.

“No.” Nic moaned.

Rachel pulled up a chair and sat opposite her.

“Nic,” she began softly.

Nic started crying.

“Your Dad is being prepped for surgery. El managed to stem the bleeding so that is a good thing. We need to remove the bullet and there is some internal bleeding that we need to stop. He is critical but stable.“ She said to her.

Aden nodded at Rachel and encouraged her to continue.

“And what about El? What about my mum?” Nic asked tears flowing freely down her face.

“She was brought in with no heartbeat. We managed to bring her back and we operated immediately. There was extensive internal bleeding as well as substantial blood loss.” Rachel had to stop and compose herself. “ She didn’t think of herself Nic, she tried to help Roman.”

“Is she?” Nic asked trying not to say the word.

Rachel shook her head.

“She crashed in the operating room but we managed to bring her back. Nic she is in a coma. The next 24 hours are critical.” Rachel said softly.

Nic stood and began pacing. She had to ask the next question but didn’t want to. Eventually she sat back down and leaned on Geoff for his support.

“And him?” she spat the question.

“We operated and he is in a coma too.” Rachel said quickly. “He is on life support.”

“Pull the plug.” Nic hissed. “Make him die.” She moaned.

Geoff pulled her to him and calmed her.

“Who was the other man there?” Geoff asked.

“Jacko Thompson.” Rachel replied.

“How is he?” Nic asked.

“He’s fine. He’s already tried to chat up several nurses.” Rachel told them.

Nic smiled then thought of El and her dad and her expression grew serious.

She leaned into Geoff and began to cry. After a moment she looked up and wiped her face.

She leaned over and took hold of Rachel’s hand.

“Thank you.” She said to her. “I really appreciate you telling us Rachel and I know that it wouldn’t have been easy for you.”

Aden looked over at Geoff and saw how proud he was of his wife. He grinned.

Rachel nodded and stood up.

“We’ve arranged a separate room for you to wait. Aden will take you there.”

Nic looked up.

“Thank you. Can we sit with El?” she asked.

“Not just yet but we will let you see her soon.” Rachel told her and left them.

“Ok lets get settled in that room Nic. It’s going to be a long night.” Geoff said to her.

She nodded.

Aden stood and they followed him into another waiting room.

“The operating rooms are through there and El is on the other wing. You’ll find tea and coffee things in there and a snack machine round the corner. “ he told them.

The walked in and saw the room. Nic sat in the big chairs and picked up a magazine. She held it open on her lap and sat quietly. Her lips began moving in prayer. Geoff ushered Aden outside and left her for a moment of peace.

He put his hand on Aden’s shoulder.

“How are you doing?” he asked him.

Aden shrugged.

“I think I’m ok. Roman has to make it.” he said.

“And how are doing in regards to El?” Geoff said softly.

Aden looked at him.

“It’s funny but when I heard they had split for a second, and I really do mean a second, I thought yes, this is my chance, and then I realised how hurt they must both be and I was gutted. I felt like it was the end of something.” Aden almost smiled. “I realised what kids felt like when their parents split up.”

Geoff nodded wisely.

“Roman hit her.” Aden said. “And I got mad at him. But not because he hit her, which was pretty bad, but because he let me down.” He grinned. “I know that it was faked now.”

Geoff pulled the other man to him and hugged him before leading him back into the room.

Nic looked up.

“I’ve made coffee.” She told them. “I’ve a feeling this is going to be a long night.”

Aden sat picking up a cup.

“So Princess, you praying now?” he asked her.

She nodded.

“I keep telling him that if he hurts my family with his stupid divine plan I’m going to go kick his…. “ she paused and amended the word she was going to use. ”Backside.”

Geoff chuckled.

He leaned over and kissed her softly.

“So tell me Bible boy who would win? Nic or the big guy?” Aden asked him with a grin.

“Great Aden.” Geoff groaned. “If I say Nic, then the Big Guy, as you call him will have a word with me when I get to heaven and if I don’t then goodbye to ever reaching heaven here on earth!”

Nic grinned.

“Too right.” She told him. “El would love this conversation. She would be grinning at us.” Nic said suddenly. “I was so mean to her today. I hated her for throwing my Dad out. And what did she do? Risk her life to save him.” Nic began sobbing.

Geoff went over to her and took her in his arms, he stood there for a long time and then held his hand out to Aden who joined them.

“Dear God, please let our loved ones come through tonight.” Geoff said softly. “Amen.”

Nic pulled her head up.

“What about Mike?” she asked. “We need to get him.” She moaned. “How are we going to tell him?”

Aden pushed her hair away from her face.

“Miles is getting him Princess.” Aden told her. “I got Charlie to go tell Miles.”

Nic nodded.

They sat back down and waited watching the ticking clock as an hour passed then another one. The ticking sound loud in the quiet room. None of them spoke.

Mike walked in tears on his face. He looked at them. Miles following slowly behind.

“Mike.” Nic said softly.

He nodded at her and sat next to Geoff.

Nic turned to Miles.

“Please stay with us Miles you are family too.” She said to him.

He came in and pulled up the remaining chair sitting down.

“The first time I saw Roman I was looking in a bin for something to eat.” Miles began. “He said if I were to hang on and meet him out the back of the diner he would get me something.”

Nic smiled.

“So he comes out and hands me this dish and something to drink and we get talking. He waits not asking me questions about where I’ve been or what I’m doing in the Bay.”

Aden stood and started making more drinks.

Miles paused and looked at Nic. He smiled at her.

“I lost my wife and daughter in the Tsunami. Your dad was part of the clean up crew sent there. He recognised me after some time passed and helped me fit in the bay.” He stopped and looked at them.

Geoff coughed before speaking.

“The day before our wedding.” He blushed before continuing.” Your Dad came up to me and shook my hand. Totally out of the blue. He said he was proud of me, and that he was also proud of the man I had become. Said that he could think of no one better for his daughter.” He grinned suddenly and looked at Nic. “Then he wished me luck and said that his wallet would recover now you were moving out.”

Nic smiled.

“The amount of times he grounded me. The amount of times he told me no more. And the amount of times he held me when I was upset.” Nic said. “He will say he isn’t the best Dad but he is. He’s the best dad because he still loved me no matter what I did.” Nic said crying again.

“Mum has a motorbike. A Black Honda. I kept asking her to pick me up from school on it and finally she did. She came dressed in head to toe black leather. She had on these kick ass boots with metal spike heels and designer sunglasses. She did this wheel spin in the gravel directly in front of the headmaster and all the boys in my Form, she stopped dead and threw a helmet at me. I hooked on my backpack and pulled on the helmet and we did another wheel spin and set off. Partway down the drive she pulled up the front Wheel and we did a wheelie. It was so completely awesome.” He told them.

Nic laughed.

“You are so lucky to have known her for so long I only had a few years with her.” Nic said. “But she was so cool. My dad ticked her off once and she took his wallet and went shopping. She cleared out his account just so he would get a call from his bank manager to tell him.”

She looked up.

“Why are we talking in the past tense? This is El and my Dad. They are fighters they won’t give up.” She said.

Mike grinned at her.

Aden handed out the drinks.

“I’m going to go ask some questions.“ he told them.

Nic nodded and watched him walk out.

“Is he ok Geoff?” she asked her husband.

Geoff nodded.

“And you are you ok?” she said softly.

Geoff nodded again.

She looked over at him and mouthed the words ‘I love you.”

He grinned for a second.

“Me too princess,” he said softly.

She smiled briefly.

Aden came back in. He looked at everyone.

“What?” Nic asked immediately.

“Your Dad is still in surgery. His heart stopped.” He said. “They are working to bring him back.”

Nic stood feeling the colour draining out of her face.

“What?” she said again.

Aden took a breath.

“El crashed.” He said. “At the same time. I checked.”

Geoff went over to Nic.

“So what are you saying?” Nic asked, biting her lip.

“At the moment they are both dead. They are working on them but…” Aden collapsed in a chair. “At the same time Nic.” He said to her.

Chapter 69

El looked down at Roman. She saw his bruised and broken body and then she could see them working on him. She clutched Michael’s hand for support.

“Please tell me he will be ok?” she begged her brother.

Michael looked at her and wiped the tears from her face.

“Its not so simple. I have to take someone with me Ella.” He said.

She moaned.

“Take me.” She said.

“Think about it. Never seeing your children grow up. Never seeing the waves crash on to the beach. Never taking another photo again not seeing how Mike will turn out. Or no more coffee.”

She smiled.

“If my children have him then they are lucky.” She told her brother. “And how can it be heaven if they have no coffee?”

He grinned.

“You aren’t the only one to say those words.” He said dramatically.

She looked at him and saw the ticking clock above his head. She looked down and Aden was on a chair his hands clasped together. She saw Nic and Geoff holding each other tightly. Miles comforting Mike. Her heart thumped at how cruel it was to show her that scene.

“Should we take a look at Sophie and Megan and Georgie?” Michael asked her.

She shook her head.

“My answer is the same take me and let Roman live.” El said simply. ”Please.”

Michael smiled at her.

He squeezed her hand and let her to another room. She saw Gardy hooked up to machines. She flinched.

“Its ok Sis.” He said. “It is ok.” he promised.

She took a step toward the bed.

“Why?” She asked. “Why did you get obsessed with me. I never encouraged you. I never even spoke to you, not really.” She said to him.

Michael pointed and in the distance she saw the image of a little boy watching his parents argue. She saw the boy get hit. His things destroyed. The mother went one day and never came home again and every time he asked about her his father would take his belt off and hit him with it. He waited every birthday and every Christmas hoping she would come back or write to him but his father was right he was worthless. El gasped and tears fell down her face. She saw herself smiling at him the day they met, to her it was nothing but to the little boy she was his mother come back to him and Roman the father taking her away.

She turned and let go of Michael’s hand. She took a step toward the bed and stroked his hair from Gardy’s face.

“Its ok.” she said to the broken little boy inside him.

She leaned over and kissed his forehead.

Michael came and put his arm around his sister and led her out of the room.

“Well done Sis. “ he said and held her as she cried.

“I need to thank you for Mike. He is so wonderful.” He said to her. ”I am so proud of him. Please don’t be upset if he joins the army.” He said to her.

“Michael no.” she said. “I don’t want to go back.”

Michael looked at her sadly.

“I’m sorry I have to leave you now. We won’t see each other again.” He said.

“Michael.” She screamed. “I can’t live without him and everyone loves him please don’t take him.”

“The choice has been made.” He told her. “Remember his words.”

The image of her brother disappeared slowly.

She looked down and saw herself lying there and felt a tug as she re-entered her body. She resisted and wanted to go back to the operating room and see Roman but she found herself feeling tired and needed to lay down for a while. She sighed and her eyes closed.

“Doctor we have rhythm.” The crash nurse called.

“Well done Ella. You are back with us. Can you open your eyes?” Rachel asked her.

“Tired.” She tried to say and felt like something was choking her.

Her lips moved and she felt the plastic tube in her mouth. She choked. Couldn’t they see she was choking. She moved her hands. Her brain told her that she was waving them in the air but all she could sense was the tips of her fingers moving.

She moaned and gagged on the pipe.

“Doctor.” The nurse said suddenly turning and looking at her.

“El?” Rachel said. “If you can hear me don’t try to talk you have a tube helping you breath.” She explained.

El moved her hand again.

This time she moved her fingers.

“El?” Rachel said again, tears prickling her eyes as she looked at her friend.

El tried to nod but even that wasn’t possible. She blinked a lot.

Rachel squeezed her hand.

“I’m going to take out the tube ok?” she said calmly.

The nurse looked at her and Rachel gave a nod. She took off the tape holding it in place and eased it out of her mouth slowly.

El gagged as she felt it pull out of her. She wanted to swallow and ease the pain in her throat but she forced herself to stay still. The pipe was removed and she took a gasping breath.

“Roman?” she asked in a hoarse whisper.

Rachel laughed.

“He’s in the operating room right now.” Rachel told her.

El blinked.

Rachel took some ice chips and put them in her mouth.

“Let them melt. We can’t give you a drink yet.”

El tried to move her hand again.

“El please take some time. We nearly lost you many times tonight. I’m going to get Nic. Don’t try to talk ok?”

El blinked.

“I must say this the quietest we’ve ever had you we might want to enjoy this moment.” Rachel told her with a smile.

El tried to grimace but her face felt numb. She lifted her finger and pointed with it.

Rachel laughed.

“Don’t worry sweetheart you’ll soon be throwing things at us.” She told her with a chuckle.

El blinked twice.

Rachel turned and went to the waiting room. She saw Aden with his head in his hands and the others quietly sitting. She grinned at Nic.

“El is awake and back with us.” Rachel told her.

“And our Dad?” Mike asked.

Nic looked at him proudly.

“I don’t know.” She said.

Nic nodded.

“Can we see her?” Nic asked.

Rachel nodded.

“But she has only just come off the tube and she can’t talk.” Rachel warned them.

Nic stood and took hold of Mike’s hand and led him to the room where she was.

She squeezed Mike’s hand for a moment before pushing open the door.

“Mum.” Mike gasped.

El smiled she wiggled her fingers and Mike took hold of her hand. She tried to wriggle her other hand but it felt numb. She blinked a lot.

Nic laughed.

“Sorry Step mama. But this is so funny. You must be so frustrated at not being able to talk and throw things.” Nic told her.

She blinked twice.

“Is that yes?” Mike asked.

She blinked twice.

“And no?” he asked.

She smiled and blinked once.

“We can ask yes and no questions Nic.” Mike told her.

“That’s no good Mike I need to know what her credit limit is on her Visa.” Nic told him.

El blinked once.

“That is definitely a no isn’t it step-mama?” Nic said to her. She leaned over and kissed her on the cheek, a single tear falling down from her face and on to El’s cheek.

El blinked.

“Please don’t ever do this to us again Mum.” Nic told her, unable to stop her tears. “Do you have any idea how much we need you?”

El blinked twice.

She squeezed her hand on Mike’s.

Framing the words slowly she said distinctly but still in a hoarse whisper.

“Love you daughter.”

Nic looked at her and moaned, she collapsed to sit in the other chair and rested her head next to El’s hand sobbing. El moved her hand, still clutching hold of Mike’s and put it on Nic’s head.

Mike put his free arm around Nic and held her too.

El blinked twice at him. And if she could put that she was proud in a blink she would have done.

Archived