The Darkness

Guest TelephotoMarigold

Chapter 20 – The final Countdown

Gardy looked across and saw the men walk out of the house. She was in there with him and he knew what they were doing. He couldn’t stand it. The thought of her with him how could she when she knew she belonged to him. She was his woman.

He swore his hands tightened into fists. He looked over at the house and wanted to break in there now and tear them apart with his bare hands. He groaned as the mental image of Roman with his Ella forced its way into his imagination.

“How could she?” he muttered aloud.

He moved and the bushes rattled their leaves in front of him. He groaned as he realised that he could be seen or at least heard and he knew that she had been in touch with the police.

The other thing that suddenly sprung into his mind was the fact that Roman was alive. He should be dead by now. Made to look like another casualty of war. He’d made a special shipment of ammo that should have left no room for error. He made a decision to contact his informant and find out what had gone wrong.

His desire for revenge was making him careless he knew, but it would be worth it to wipe out Roman and to have Ella at his mercy. He cackled like a madman for a brief moment before checking his watch and making a careful way to find his car. He had an silver Romero stashed away today, with of course stolen licence plates. It was a nice smooth ride and had no identifying marks.

He grinned as he imagined pulling up beside her as she was walking home one night and saying, hey babe jump in I’ll give you a ride you wouldn’t believe. She’d smile of course and that would be it; she’d realise that she didn’t part of the pathetic mundane life with Roman she wanted him. He’d still have to kill Roman but he’d let the children live. He wouldn’t want her unhappy, they could always live with the blonde bimbo and he’d bring her to visit them occasionally. Maybe have Ella swanning in wearing the jewels and furs he’d bestow on her to flash off at the daughter. Who would have lost her looks by then dealing with the day to day struggle of three children

Maybe Nicole would have put on a few pounds by then he’d still have a bit of fun with her though. He’d been so close to teaching her a lesson the last time he was here. Touching her in front of a blinded and stupid Roman.

He needed to see Ella again before too long. Maybe he’d follow her to the hospital again. Dammit, but he’d hoped that Roman would be dead by now. The other man should have been out of the way although on the other hand this way might be best.

He could imagine Ella with tears on her face, saying, please don’t kill him I’ll do anything, And he’d make her. He’d teach her a lesson that she wouldn’t forget and then he’d make her kill Roman.

Now that was a sweet thought. He hoped that she would be bringing the babies home soon to give him something else to use against her. It was her fault she shouldn’t be up there with him in the bedroom she should have told him to go to hell for leaving her and telling him she wanted a real man, that she wanted him.

Opening the glove box he brought out a bottle of whiskey, he quickly uncapped the bottle and took a long drink from it. He kept the bottle stashed between his legs as he pulled away from the parking space unaware that he was being followed by a black car.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 21 – A hint to follow

Ella and Roman walked hand in hand into the Diner and saw Jacko and Her father siting at a table. Ella had texted Nic and then Aden and asked them to meet her here, Roman wanted to surprise them too. They would go to the hospital from here and she would show him the babies for the first time. She hugged Jacko.

“Thank you.” She whispered to him. “Thank you.” She said again.

Jacko blushed.

“Ain’t nothing Ella. I just took care of our boy here.” He said to her. She took hold of his hand.

“You want me to think that when I know you Jacko?” she asked him with a quick grin. She glanced over at Roman then leaned over and kissed Jacko on the lips.

Jacko smiled and muttered just as Colleen walked over to their table.

“She’s a better kisser than you LT.”

Roman laughed and pulled her close to him before guiding her to sit on the bench beside him.

“You’re home!” Colleen said un-necessarily. “Are you?” she asked, looking at his uniform.

“I’m home Colleen. Thank you for looking after Ella and Nicole for me.” Roman said to the woman.

She blushed.

”Can I get a cup of tea and more coffees for everyone else?” Ella asked her.

The other woman bustled away.

“Dad.” Ella said. “Are you sticking around for a bit?” she asked him.

“Sorry Princess,” he began looking over at Roman who laughed.

Ella nudged him in the ribs and he winced.

She looked over at him.

“It’s nothing.” He muttered and saw her raise her eyebrow.

“Just like Jacko is only using one arm?” she asked.

“Uh huh, as I was saying Princess, I have to go back but I would like to come visit you.” Her dad said to her, trying to distract her.

“Of course, you’re a Grandpa now you have to come and spend time with the babies, and of course Mike, and not forgetting that you will need to take Nicole shopping.” She told him with a grin. “I hope your credit limit is ok.”

He reached out and she took hold of his hand,

“I love you Dad. I’ve missed you.” She said emotionally.

He stood and opened up his arms she walked into the embrace and pressed herself close to him.

“I love you too, Princess.” He told her, stroking her hair.

They sat back down and she snuggled up to Roman, who was still smiling at her being called Princess. He looked up and saw Nic and Geoff walking into the Diner with their baby and felt a lump in his throat.

“Dad!” she said.

He stood and walked over to her.

“Hey Nic.” He said, the only words he could choke out.

She walked into his arms.

“Daddy this is your Granddaughter.” she told him tears pouring down her face. She lifted Angel up so he could look at her.

“Wow Nic, she’s so beautiful just like you.” He told her emotionally. God, he thought, what would he be like when he saw his other babies, he wondered his arm still around Nic’s shoulders.

She reached out and handed Angel into his arms and he cradled the baby for the first time. He looked over at Ella and saw that she was openly crying.

“Wow.” He said again.

He looked down at her small hands and wriggling legs. She suddenly opened her eyes and looked up at him and he saw the same intense blue eyes that Nicole had when she was born.

“I bet everyone told you they would change colour.” He said to Nic and saw her nod.

He bent and placed a quick kiss on Angel’s forehead before handing her back into Nicole’s arms. He looked over at Geoff and ignoring the other man’s outstretched hand he pulled him forward for a brief hug.

“Thank you for looking after my daughter and granddaughter Geoff. And thank you for trying to look after El, I say trying because I know how stubborn she is and you would not have had an easy time.” Roman told him.

Geoff laughed and hugged Roman back.

“It wasn’t too bad. Aside from both women being pregnant at the same time and dealing with strange food cravings, bad temper, sleepless nights and …” he trailed off and laughed.

“I did hear that you know!” El told them both.

They sat down pulling up a stool for Geoff while Nic sat on the same bench with El’s dad and Jacko. She looked curiously at the other man.

“Are you Jacko?” Nic asked eventually working it out.

“Yes and you are Nicole.” He replied.

“Ella told me about you.” Nic said.

Roman looked over at Ella who smiled at him.

He smiled back and then looked up as Aden and Belle walked in with their children.

“Roman?” Aden asked.

Roman walked over to him and embraced him

“I’m home. Thank you for looking after El.” he told him. “I heard that you were responsible for saving Sophie too. I’ll always be grateful.”

Aden returned the hug and looked over at Ella who tried not to look at him but just for a second their eyes met. She shook her head and then focused on the cup of tea she had in front of her.

“It was nothing.” Aden shrugged, hoping the other man would let the matter drop. Aden reached out for Belle’s hand and pulled her forward. He placed a quick kiss on her forehead and called out to the children.

“What say we make ourselves scarce for a while?” Ella’s dad asked Jacko.

“Sure thing.” Jacko agreed.

“Wait!” Ella said to them. “You are staying around aren’t you?”

“For a couple of days.” Her dad said.

Jacko nodded.

“Cool.”

Nicole looked at Geoff who nodded.

“You can stay with us?” she suggested. “We can have the baby in with us and that way we have two spare rooms.”

Jacko and Ella’s father exchanged a look and nodded.

“Give you and the Mrs a chance to catch up LT!” Jacko grinned at him.

Roman looked at Ella and she blushed.

Geoff handed over a set of keys and told them directions and how to get into the house.

“Dad.” Ella said and stood up to give him another hug. He held her tight in his arms.

“I’ll see you tomorrow Princess.” He said to her.

She blushed.

“Not if you don’t stop calling me that!” she groaned, seeing Roman chuckle from out the corner of her eye.

Jacko laughed.

She stood and watched them go before sitting back down with Roman.

“So come on tell me what’s been happening over the past few months.” He said to them.

They all looked at each other.

“Anyone?” Roman said softly. He took a long drink of his coffee and waited.

“Well Brett started school and Amy-Belle started Kindergarten.” Belle said to them, filling in the silence with trivia.

“Yes I go to play and man comes wiv me to make sure bad man doesn’t come.” Amy-Belle lisped into the silence.

Roman looked at El, who suddenly looked very guilty.

“Ok Amy-belle that is so good. Do you know what the bad man is called?” Roman asked softly.

Amy-belle shook her head.

“No only that he made the babies come early.” She told him.

“That’s enough Roman.” Aden said angrily.

“That’s good sweetie how about going over to Colleen and asking for a milkshake. Take your brother too.” Roman told them.

He waited until the children left and looked round the group.

“I suggest that someone start telling me what has been going on.” Roman said to them his voice deathly quiet.

Ella tried to stand up but he stopped her, his hand gripping her wrist.

She saw Aden move restlessly in his seat and she shook her head briefly.

“I was going to tell you tomorrow.” Ella said to him.

“Supposing you tell me now.” He said his voice like ice. “I’ve had enough of your secrets.” He said to her. “Like for instance how you were told not to marry me by all of our friends.”

She flinched at his tone of voice.

“How can you refer to them as friends Roman Harris when you never even bothered to keep in touch with them.” she said to him. “You want the truth about what has been happening. Well here it is. Gardy has been stalking me. He has broken into the house. He left a nice message for me which caused me to fall and go into premature labour.” She pulled her wrist away and stood up.

She looked round the group and then walked away from the table before walking out of the diner.

“Welcome home!” Nic said to him sarcastically. She stood to follow Ella but Angel’s sudden cry stopped her and she instead went into the bathroom to change her.

Chapter 22 – Holding out for a hero.

Ella strode to the beach and sat down looking at the waves. She couldn’t believe that just ten minutes ago she had been so happy and now it was like a Roman clone had come home in his place. Interrogating children and, she rubbed at her wrist hurting her. She’d known that Jacko would tell him about their concerns and expected some kind of comeback but not this. She’d wanted one night without worrying about Gardy and what he’d do,

She’d been greedy and wanted one pure moment before she had to face seeing the look on her husband’s face when she had to tell him about what had been happening. Or that she’d so nearly died giving birth to the babies. She suddenly found she was sobbing and she lay down in the sand unable to move.

Gardy slowed the car when he saw her run out of the diner. So the great god Roman was human after all. Or maybe she’d really had enough of him. He looked to see if the black car was still tailing him, having spotted it a while back and had worked his way around the bay in an endless loop driving up and down all the roads eventually shaking it off.

He pulled over and looking around saw no one else about, he strode over to where Ella was on the beach. She looked up eventually and seeing him there she screamed as loud as she could. He reached down and grabbed her arm, in the same place where Roman had held her just seemingly minutes ago. She gasped with pain.

She fought him kicking him and pulling away trying to hit him or scratch him. She kept screaming and shouting for help.

He found himself turned on by her struggles. Finally he pulled back his fist he punched her in the face. She found herself falling down slipping into unconsciousness for a brief second. Her last thought was to try and send a message to Roman so she forced her arm to move and pulled at the identification tags she was wearing and felt the chain snap. She trailed it from her hand eventually dropping it to the sand below as Gardy dragged her to the car.

He opened the boot and shoved her body in there, looking around to make sure he wasn’t overlooked. He closed the boot and climbing behind the wheel he sped off.

Chapter 23 – Take on me

Roman looked over at everyone.

“So you were planning to keep it from me?” he asked.

“Shut up.” Aden muttered. “You weren’t here, You have no idea what was going on or what El went through to have your children.” He stood and walked over toward his children, not seeing Belle’s worried glance.

Roman stood too and walked out of the diner. He headed toward the beach before changing his mind and heading home. Ella had said she would take him to see the babies and even though he had made her mad at him he knew she would still do it.

He walked quickly and strode into the house.

“El?” he called out puzzled, finding the house in darkness.

He clicked on the lights and moved around the house, room to room finding it empty. He stood for a moment uncertain what to do before going over to the phone and dialling Nic’s number.

She answered on the first ring.

“What?” she asked.

“Have you seen El she’s not here.” He said without preamble.

“No Dad. And if I were her I would not want to be around you either.” She told him and he heard a disconnected buzz in his ear.

“Great.” He muttered and dialled Aden’s number next. His voicemail picked up so he dialled the diner.

“Beachside Diner Colleen speaking.” He was greeted by.

“Hello Colleen this is Roman. Is Aden still there?” Roman said to the woman keeping his voice light so the other woman would not get flustered.

“Hang on Roman.” Colleen said.

Roman waited.

“What do you want Roman?” Aden asked him, coming on the line.

“Ella isn’t home. I’m concerned.” Roman said quickly.

“Try the hospital maybe she went there. It’s just about feeding time for the twins.” Aden told him.

“She wouldn’t have gone without me.” Roman replied quickly and half wondered why Aden knew the feeding schedule. He thrust the thought away and focused on El.

“Where do you think she is then?” Aden asked him. “Because if she needed to get away from you I’m not going to help you find her.”

“Aden I know I haven’t been here and maybe I didn’t handle tonight that well but I’m telling you I’m worried about Ella.” He told the other man huskily.

“Fine. I’ll be over in a bit.” Aden told him.

Roman hung up the phone without saying goodbye and placed a call to Nicole’s house.

“What is it now?” Nic answered the phone.

“How did you know…” Roman began to ask.

“Ella made us get caller id on the phones.” Nic told him.

“Fine. Is Jacko there?” he asked his daughter.

“Hang on.” He heard noises in the background before the phone was passed over.

“What’s up LT?” Jacko asked quickly.

“Who was looking after Ella?” Roman asked.

“Pete and James set up a security firm and they were doing it. You want me to get in touch with them for you?” Jacko asked.

“Jacko, Ella is missing.” Roman told him.

“Right I’ll make some calls and I’ll come over. You want me to pass the info on?” Jacko asked him and he knew he was referring to El’s dad and Nicole.

“Yes.” Roman said quickly.

“Ok see you in 10.” Jacko told him.

Roman hung up the phone and then rang the hospital. He expected not to be able to get any information and was proved right when not only wouldn’t they tell him anything but denied all knowledge of any patients with those names. He groaned and the bad feeling he’d had when he woke up sometime yesterday was still there in the pit of his stomach. He didn’t want to be proved right but all he could think of was that somehow, someway Gardy had Ella and if that were true he’d go mad.

He went into the kitchen and poured a glass of water and drank it, feeling impotent.

Aden was first round. He let himself in and looked at Roman standing in the kitchen.

“She’s not back?” Aden asked quickly.

“No.” Roman said folding his hands across his chest.

“She’s not at the hospital I checked. She missed Georgie’s feeding,” Aden nodded slowly.

“I don’t know why you are mad at me Aden. It’s more than what happened tonight.” Roman turned to him.

“Maybe it was watching El nearly bleed to death in the operating room and all she thought about was making sure you were ok.” Aden folded his arms across his chest and stood looking at him.

“Maybe.” Roman agreed softly.

He put the kettle on and watched as it boiled.

“El keeps the coffee in this cupboard now.” Aden told him as Roman looked in the old cupboard for the jar of instant coffee.

He reached inside the indicated cupboard and picked out the jar making two coffees.

“Tell me did you start to call her El before or after you slept with her?” Roman asked him placing the cup of coffee on the table in front of him.

Aden gasped.

“We didn’t…” he muttered.

“I’m sorry was I not supposed to pick up on the coy looks between you or the way you rushed to attack me.” Roman said calmly. “Or do you want me to think that nothing happened.”

“Nothing did happen. Except her tell me just how much she loved you.” Aden said eventually.

“I believe you.” Roman said finally.

A knock sounded at the door and Aden breathed out slowly when Roman went over to answer it.

“Hardcore!” Pete Gillette cried out.

“Pete!” Roman called out in shock. “What the devil are you doing here?” he asked quickly.

“Jacko called me I was staying at the Sands. I have bad news.” Pete told him.

“Spill it. “ Roman said and showed him inside.

“Gardy is in the Bay and we lost sight of him an hour ago.” Pete said to him.

Roman swore.

He moved into the kitchen and put the kettle back on.

“Do you know where he goes?” Roman asked.

“No. He has a hotel room that we have bugged but he wouldn’t take her there.” Pete said.

The front door opened and Geoff walked in with Jacko and George, El’s dad.

“Has he got her?” Geoff asked.

Pete and Jacko greeted each other with an embrace before breaking apart and shaking hands. They smiled then their expressions turned serious.

“What do we know?” Jacko asked.

Pete surveyed the room.

“Ok. We lost track of Gardy an hour and ten minutes ago. He was driving a Silver Romero. He will not go back to his hotel room if he has Ella. We know that he will be in touch with you Roman, because you push buttons.” Pete told them.

“Ella will fight him but she’s just undergone surgery and a difficult pregnancy so we can expect her to mess with his head more than try anything physical. She’ll tie him up in knots. But he’s on the verge of a psychotic break. We are dismantling his empire and cutting down the number of places he can hide.” George told them.

“What about industrial areas around Summer Bay?” Jacko asked.

He looked over at Roman and saw the man was only just holding on.

“Roman. Do you have a map?” Jacko asked him.

Roman nodded and walked over to the bookshelf and pulled out a map of the Bay. He walked into the kitchen and spread it out on the table before turning around and collecting his cold cup of coffee from earlier. He drank it down in one and made another one compulsively. He didn’t see Pete and Jacko exchange concerned looks.

The telephone rang and Roman jumped.

He looked at Jacko before going over to the phone.

“Wait.” Aden said.

Roman looked up.

Aden walked over to the phone and hit the record button before putting the phone on speaker.

“Hello.” Roman said calmly.

Ella’s scream ripped around the room.

“Hear that Hardcore?” Gardy asked.

“I hear it.” Roman said coldly.

“When I’ve finished playing with that I’m going to come for you.” Gardy told him.

“You’re welcome to the two-timing sl*t.” Roman replied.

“What Hardcore?” Gardy gasped.

“I heard all about you and her. Your little friend told me all the details.” Roman said and saw Jacko nod at him.

“You expect me to believe you Hardcore. A stone cold killer like you?” Gardy asked him quickly. “You want her I know you do.”

“No Gardy, enjoy yourself with her.” Roman said. He didn’t look at Geoff or Aden as he spoke or Ella’s father, knowing he would break down if he did. He found his hands clenching into fists and wanted to punch something. His eyes flicked to Aden and then back to the phone, or somebody, he amended.

They heard the sound of heavy breathing coming from the phone and knew they had managed to push one of Gardy’s buttons.

“No!” They heard. “This is not how it’s supposed to be you are supposed to beg. I need you to beg.” Gardy moaned.

“Beg for that piece of dirt.” Roman asked. “I’ve had better, I wish I’d never married her.” His eyes closed as he imagined Ella sitting there scared listening to him saying that he didn’t care what happened to her. He had to cover his mouth before he denied what he said and started to beg.

Jacko moved across the room silently and placed his hand on Roman’s shoulder in support.

“Hardcore. I will be in touch.” Gardy hung up.

Roman looked around the room.

“Tell me I didn’t just do that for nothing,” he said to them.

Pete shook his head.

“No you made the right call. He will avoid doing anything to her now because it won’t hurt you.” George told him.

Jacko turned to Aden.

“Where do you keep the booze?” He asked him.

Aden walked over to another cupboard and took out an unopened bottle of whisky.

“El bought this for your return.” Aden told him quietly.

He poured out drinks for all of them and noted that Roman drank his down in one.

“Right then Pete, can you run the background on the recording of the phone call to see if we can pick up any clues.” Roman said and placed his glass in the sink.

Pete nodded before he clicked open his phone and walked away to make a phone call.

Roman looked at George.

“I need a weapon.” He told him.

“Roman we need to handle this officially.” George told him referring to the army.

“You need to provide what I need to finish the job you set me on.” Roman told him quietly. “Get me a pistol, preferably a Beretta and an SR 25 with Night scope.” Roman ignored the looks from Aden and Geoff. Especially the look from Geoff.

“Roman I can’t.” George told him.

Roman looked at him.

“Fine, I’ll get them.” George sighed, surrendering to the look that Roman gave him.

Roman looked over at the map and looked at the industrial sites around Summer Bay and Yabbie Creek.

He went over and pressed play on the machine and heard the phone call replayed. His voice was sounding uncaring and cold. He looked down at the floor and listened as impartially as possible but he wanted to throw up listening to those words imagining how they would have sounded to El.

“Aden, Geoff we won’t be able to do anything tonight you should get home to your family,” Roman told them. He looked over at Jacko and nodded.

Jacko led the two men out promising that he would keep them informed in case anything happened.

George followed soon after, he was collected by an army driver. Roman barely acknowledged the other mans’ departure. He made himself another coffee and listened to the recording one more time before Pete removed the media to go and have it analysed, replacing a fresh disc in its place in case of anymore phone calls.

Jacko guided him to the sofa.

“Roman. I need you to get some sleep.” Jacko told him.

Roman shook his head for a moment before he yawned.

“I’ll take first watch.” Jacko told him.

“You’ve had about as much sleep as me for the past 48 hours.” Roman pointed out.

“Yeah, but I’m not the one he wants to screw with.” Jacko pointed out logically.

Roman yawned for a second time and lay down on the sofa. He closed his eyes for a second and slipped into sleep.

Chapter 24 – Crazy Frog

“You heard what he said about you?” Gardy shouted at her, a twitch near his eye. The warehouse was his only refuge. He knew that they would have located his hotel room and his laptop. Taking her had been foolish he told himself he should have waited. He should have waited until he had a plan.

“Yes.” Ella said quietly.

“Well what does he mean?” Gardy screamed. “I was so close.”

“I don’t know. He told me he wanted a divorce,” Ella invented. “Accused me of being unfaithful.” She added.

Gardy looked over at her she was sitting tied up in the chair, ropes tied around her chest and legs. Her hands tied behind her.

“B****” he cried and slapped her across the face.

She let her head snap back at the blow and cried out, knowing that he wanted to hear that.

”Why would he say those things?” she asked her voice sounding pitiful. She tried to force herself to cry but she was too mad.

“Because you are a sl*t” he told her. “You married him when you were mine.”

“Please.” She said and gasped, only just stopping herself from adding ‘don’t make me laugh, I wouldn’t have married you if you were the last man on earth’.

“Ella Ella, “ he said distractedly. “You should have been mine.” He told her.

She looked at him and saw that the twitch was back and he was compulsively rubbing his hand up and down his leg pulling at his jeans.

“No. It didn’t work like that. Michael wanted me to be with his friend.” She said softly. “I didn’t know you felt like this.” She added.

He looked at her.

“You were mine.” He shouted. “I saw you first. Roman should never have been allowed to touch you.”

“I didn’t know.” Ella said forcing herself to sound sad. “That’s why I couldn’t answer your emails, Roman would have found out. He controlled me.” She added another invention. She hoped she could remember all these for when she had to repeat them later.

She looked at Gardy and blinked trying to make her eyes tear up so she looked at pathetic as she was trying to make it sound.

“What do you mean?” Gardy asked quickly.

He looked at her and thought she looked so brave blinking back tears.

“Do you think I wanted his babies?” she asked. “He forced me.” She invented wildly. “The doctors told me that I shouldn’t get pregnant I could die.”

“He forced you?” Gardy asked.

She nodded and mentally crossed her fingers. If Geoff was correct and there was a God he was going to be seriously ‘ticked’ off with all the lies she was about to spin.

“Told me that I had no choice I should submit. He hurt me.” She lowered her head because she had the urge to spit in his face and that would ruin what she was trying to achieve, she hoped that instead it made her seem desperate and upset.

“Ella you should have been mine I would have taken care of you.” Gardy told her his voice sounding calmer and less crazy.

She sighed.

“Please.” She begged. “I need to lie down.”

He undid the ropes around her top and legs and pulled her to her feet dragging her into another room. He threw her onto a filthy mattress and then reached for the belt in his jeans.

“I can’t.” she told him. “The babies. I have to wait for the doctor to say its alright.” She gasped.

“You’re lying!” he said his voice taking on the deranged tone of earlier.

“No please.” She begged. “It’s why he got so upset with me tonight in the diner. I had turned him down earlier.” Another invention. “Look at my arm.”

Gardy looked at her weighing up her words. He grabbed her and turned her over looking at her arm and saw fingerprint shaped bruises on her wrist.

“Please Gardy. Release my wrists. This hurts.” She said to him quietly.

He looked at her.

“I won’t run or fight. Tie them up in front.” She told him.

He released the ropes and she put her hands together in front of her and he retied her hands.

She smiled at him.

“Thank you.” She said.

He looked at her.

“Sleep in here I’m going to be out side.” He murmured.

She lay down meekly on the mattress and pulled a rough feeling army blanket over her.

He walked out quietly and closed and locked the door behind him.

Ella closed her eyes briefly before sitting up and looking around. The door was the only way in or out of this room. There were no windows. She’d have to keep playing along until Roman came for her. And then she’d have to figure out a way to stop him from killing Gardy.

She stifled a sob and thought about her babies. She had to be strong for them, she thought and almost cried out in pain at the thought of not seeing them again, and there was Mike. She couldn’t do this it was too much, she moaned and pulled the blanket up to muffle any sound she made.

She forced herself to relax and close her eyes. She thought of Roman, wondering what he would do and how he would cope. Would he manage to be calm? She thought, or would he lose his temper. She had to say that basic training didn’t cover being kidnapped by psychotic madmen. Maybe she would have a chat with her father and get them to include it. She almost laughed out loud at that last thought.

“Breath.” She told herself softly. “Calm.”

Roman, please find me, please come soon, she thought. I’m waiting for you. She drifted slowly to sleep.

Chapter 25 – The Day After

Roman was sitting in the nursery. He had painted the walls a mixture of yellow and green and fixed up the border, going for the sun; moon, stars and rainbow one, and hanging the matching curtains.

He had also fixed up the two cots and placed them in the centre of the room with the mobiles on them. He’d found the changing table and put that together too from the flat pack. Placing the small amount of baby clothes carefully away in the drawers.

He looked over at the new wardrobe doors. She’d got someone to replace the original ones with louver doors and he’d painted those with the white gloss at around 4am. He could pretend that he was still on Afghanistan time but the truth was he needed to use his hands before he tore something or somebody apart. He’d had a disturbing dream that Ella was trying to tell him something.

The room looked ready.

He turned and walked downstairs where Jacko was in the kitchen next to the kettle.

“You finished hardcore?” He turned and asked him.

“Yes.” Roman answered.

“Thought I told you to get some sleep.” Jacko muttered.

“You did. But I woke up.” Roman said briefly.

Jacko handed him a cup of coffee.

“You can’t kill him Roman.” Jacko said. “It’ll be murder.”

“Jacko.” He protested.

“I know Roman, I know what he’s done and what he’s already cost you but if you kill him it will be flat our revenge for Ella and that will be murder.” Jacko told him wisely. “She would sooner submit to what he wants with her than let you do that.”

“I’m a murderer anyway.” Roman said. “Do you think that because I use a rifle and say it’s in the defence of my country or my men or any number of excuses, it covers up what I do. I point and shoot and someone’s family gets a letter that I never want my family to get. Do you think that one more will make much of a difference in the end?”

Jacko sighed.

“You called it a darkness. Well maybe it is but its inside me and I would cut it out if I could.” Roman said. He drained his cup and threw it at the sink watching as it disintegrated into pieces in front of him. “That is me Jacko. I’m just pieces. You should have stopped her marrying me. You should have taken her away and tied her up and done anything to stop her because I’m evil.” Roman broke down. ”I’m the reason that Gardy is going to kill her.”

Jacko pulled the other man into his arms.

“Roman. Do you think we didn’t see you before she came into your life? You were this brash idiot who was likely to get yourself or us killed. And then you changed. He saw that. And he knew the reason for it. He wants to hurt you because you got everything. You got the promotion, you got the platoon, you got the girl.” Jacko told him. “She never had time for him after she met you. And meeting you, well it was like somebody switched a light on inside of her. Mike could see that. And he’d damn near tear anyone apart who looked at his sister, you know that.”

Jacko led him over to the sofa.

“She didn’t even need to tell us she had seen you again, Pete and I could see it.” Jacko said to him. “Of course we warned her. We told her you weren’t ready to face your demons. She said she didn’t care, she’d help you through them.”

Roman looked up at him.

“She has, hasn’t she?” Jacko asked him looking at the other man.

“Yes.” Roman thought about the way she would tackle him about things. The way she had a way of turning things around so that he would look at it in a new way.

“Then why the hell would you deny your marriage? Yes, Gardy has her but she’s smarter than he is, and you have a secret weapon Roman. You have the babies. You don’t mess with a mother of cubs you know that. Especially, not our Ella.”

“Thanks for kicking my feeling-sorry-for-myself ass Sgt.” Roman said.

“Not a problem LT, just don’t kiss me.” Jacko grinned.

Roman half grinned before walking into the kitchen to clear up the mess and make another coffee.

The front door opened and Nic walked in with the stroller.

“Dad?” she called.

He walked into the lounge.

“I’m here Nic.” he told her softly.

She burst into tears and walked into his arms.

“It’s going to be ok Nic. We’ll find her and bring her home.” He rocked her in his arms the way he had so many times before.

She opened up her hand and put something in his hand.

“I found this on the beach near the diner.” Nic said to him. “If I hadn’t had to see to Angel then I would have been with her.” She looked up at him.

Roman looked at the dog tags and his wedding ring.

“She was wearing these?” he asked.

“Yes. I put them around her neck when she went to labour; she didn’t take them off. See the chain is snapped.” Nicole told him.

He guided Nic over to a sofa and made her sit down.

“Nicole if you were there then maybe, and I mean maybe he wouldn’t have taken her but it’s more than likely that he would have taken her at some point. Nothing you could have done would have changed that.” He said softly, and looking deep into her tear drenched blue eyes.

“She knew you would figure out that she didn’t take these off and she was sending a message to us.” Jacko told her calmly, his words for Roman’s ears too.

They looked up as there was another knock at the door and Angel started whimpering. She went over to the stroller and picked her daughter up.

Jacko answered the door, opening the solid wood door a fraction.

“Hello! Is Roman in?” Miles asked from outside.

“Come in.” Roman called out. “Jacko this is Miles and Miles this is Jacko.” Roman said.

He walked over and shook Miles hand.

“Good to see you.” He said to him.

“Is it? Because I did kind of have to hear form Colleen that you were back.” Miles told him cautiously.

“I’m sorry Miles I was planning to ring you last night but things went kind of crazy.” He said. “Ella has been kidnapped by Gardy.” He announced.

Miles gasped.

“I’ll get some coffees going LT, I got a feeling this is going to be a long day.” Jacko went into the kitchen.

Miles went with him and let Jacko fill him in on the situation.

Nic looked at her dad.

“I need to show you something.” He told her and led her upstairs to the nursery.

She gasped.

“This is what Ella wanted, Dad.” She once again called him Dad, unknowingly using the term like a security blanket.

She went in and touched the cots and the changing table. She felt tears welling up in her eyes again.

“You did this last night?” she asked.

“Yes.” He told her. “You really think she will like it?” he asked.

“She will love it. She missed you so much.” Nic compulsively hugged Angel closer to her. “Before she went into labour we came over to see her and every time you were mentioned she burst into tears. It was so funny. We kept teasing her and she would be laughing one minute and the next sobbing with this silly smile on her face.” Nic pressed a kiss on her daughter’s head and then looked over at her Dad. “She threatened to hit the next person who did it and then Amy-Belle walked over to her and asked her where you were. She started laughing and crying at the same time. She was so strong with everything Dad.” Nicole started crying again.

“Come here. You need to be strong too. I know you are because of everything you’ve been through Nic, and I am proud of you. You’ve been there for me when I’ve been in a dark place and made me pull myself up. I know you can do this. “ He told her so softly.

She half smiled and stepped back.

“Dad, I have to say that you kind of need a shower.” She tried out another smile, feeling it forced on her face. “You are starting to smell worse than one of Angels nappies.”

He laughed.

“Thank you. You could be right. I can’t remember when I last showered. “ He said to her.

“What about food?” she asked.

“Yesterday.” He confessed. “No wait, that would be the day before yesterday.” He admitted.

“Shower and I’ll sort out food.” She ordered bossily.

“Yes Ma’am.” He said standing to attention and saluting.

She laughed.

“Go you idiot. I still have no clue why she married you!” Nic said her voice catching. She put her hand on his back and pushed him through the door and watched as he went into his bedroom before she went downstairs.

She found Miles and Jacko in the kitchen.

“Did you do it girlie?” Jacko asked.

“He’s going to take a shower at least.” She said. “We need to get some food in him too.” She said.

“I’ll go to the dinner and pick up something.” Miles said.

Nic caught hold of Miles’ arm and pressed a kiss to his cheek.

“Thank you.” She told him and watched him leave.

“He’s a good un.” Jacko said.

“Yes he is. Took care of me.” Nic told him. “Thanks for calling me Jacko.”

“I had too, he would have built on an extra room on the house by the time he’d finished. I couldn’t think who else would have got through to him.” Jacko said.

“I’m worried girlie.” Jacko told her.

“About Ella?” she asked quickly sitting at the table.

“No, about your Dad. I’m worried he’s going to kill Gardy.” He confessed.

“Maybe he deserves it.” Nicole’s soft voice hardened.

“There is no maybe about it, if you can put someone down like you would a mad dog then Gardy would be first in the queue, but if your Dad does it, well he’ll change inside and he won’t be your Dad anymore.”

“Like before.” She nodded understandingly.

“Worse than that I think.” Jacko confessed. He stood and walked over to the fridge to pull out some juice to drink and poured them out a couple of glasses, placing one in front of her. “And if anything happens to her, well I don’t want to be around after that.”

Nicole smiled and took a drink.

“You and me both.” She said grimly.

They heard Roman walking down the stairs and they went quiet.

“Is that better?” he asked Nic.

“Much.” She said. “Although I thought Brown was the new black this season.” She joked feebly trying to take the edge off.

He was dressed in black combat trousers that she suspected were not fashion ones and a tight polo neck top. She looked down and saw a special pair of shoes on his feet and realised he’d made a noise on the stairs to let them know he was about. She looked up and saw Jacko grinning at her.

“Uh huh. Don’t believe any stories that Jacko tells you. I didn’t do any of those things.” Roman said into the sudden silence.

“I didn’t tell her a word.” Jacko defended. “She’d never believe me anyway. She’d think I was exaggerating! How are you and your husband getting along anyway?” Jacko asked her.

“Uh huh. You are so not dating my daughter.” Roman said quickly. “So don’t even bother trying out that technique of yours.”

“You two must be a nightmare together. “ Nicole laughed.

“I could tell you a few things Girlie but then I’d have to…” Jacko began.

“Kill me?” Nic finished.

“No, even worse… deal with your father!” Jacko grinned at her.

They looked up to see Miles letting himself in.

“How many people have keys?” Roman grouched. And how come you didn’t use yours earlier?” he asked the other man.

“Well if you were home I didn’t want to interrupt.” Miles confessed quickly.

Roman laughed briefly and then looked down at his hand. He’d put his wedding ring back on, wishing like hell that Ella had done it.

“Come on Hardcore get some food in you.” Miles said to him.

Roman smiled.

“What the hell did Jacko tell you?” he said.

“Nothing.” Miles told him. “Much.” He added.

Chapter 26 – Trust is a four-letter word.

Ella couldn’t wait any longer she eased herself off the makeshift bed and knocked on the door. She waited and then banged again.

She heard the key in the lock and then the door swung slowly open. She stepped backwards.

“I’m sorry Gardy.” She said to him an apologetic smile on her face. “But I really need to use the bathroom.”

He blinked slowly as if he hadn’t thought of her needs.

“Ok.” He grumbled slowly.

It was obvious she had woken him up she thought, and wondered how she could use this to her advantage.

He led her through a maze of boxes and to the toilets. She held up her hands in mute appeal.

“I promise I won’t run but I’m wearing Jeans Gardy and I can’t do the zipper with my hands tied.” She pointed out.

She half wished she hadn’t when his eyes travelled downward and on to her legs. She felt like she needed to take a shower just to wash off his look and only just managed to control a shudder of distaste when he stepped closer to her. She smelled his stench of stale sweat and whisky and swallowed the automatic gag reflex.

He undid the ropes at her wrists and she stepped into the toilets. He made to follow her but she turned and stood looking at him.

“Please.” She asked softly.

He took a step back and she went inside and closed the door. She looked quickly around and knew why he’ had brought her here. There were no outside windows; she couldn’t escape even if she wanted to. She grimaced.

She used the toilet and then washed up in the sink. She stripped off her t shirt and sluiced water over her to freshen up, needing the delay until she saw him again and just wanting to be clean. The mirror was cracked and she thought with a bit of time she might be able to get a piece of glass from it. She jiggled it experimentally and felt it give.

“Hurry up!” he ordered and she saw the door handle twist in the reflection she grabbed her t shirt pulling it quickly over her head and turned walking quickly to the door.

“I’m done.” She told him. She held out her hands and let him tie her up again.

He led her back to the room.

“I’m hungry.” She said. “And I could really do with a drink.” She added.

He sighed.

“I don’t have any food here.” He confessed.

“I suppose ordering a pizza wouldn’t be a good idea.” She mused with a sardonic grin. Imagining the conversation. ‘I would like a double cheese and a pepperoni with no olives. Oh and my kidnap victim said she wants pineapple on hers. Can we get those without the armed response team from the police but we still want the free sodas.’

He looked at her and smiled.

“I suppose you’d like to hear me order pizza so that you know exactly where you are and can tell the delivery guy you need help.” he muttered, the creepy tick back near his eye.

“Actually I live on pizza. I can’t cook.” She confessed with a slow smile, in a calm tone of voice. She lowered her head and made it look as though his suggestion that she would try to get help had upset her.

He sighed and pushed toward the chair she had sat on last night.

“Sit there.” He ordered.

She waited patiently until he handed her a bottle of water he took from his bag nearby. She had looked over and saw that he had a gun in the bag too, she couldn’t tell what make it was. She tried to tell herself it wasn’t important but knew that some weapons took 14 rounds in the clip while others just had the standard 9 clip. She might need to know how many bullets he could fire if she were to make a break for it.

She took a long swallow of the water and tried to think of something she could do to persuade him to let her go.

“Thank you.” She said to him. “I have a problem.” She added.

His head flashed up.

“What now?” he asked the tick back again.

“Well I’m feeding the babies and I’ve missed three feedings.” She said.

“They can have bottles.” He said.

“Yes I know that but I’m still producing milk.” She said softly and waited for his glance to focus on her breasts. She swallowed feeling dirty as he looked at her.

His eyes met hers.

“It hurts.” She told him. “And if I don’t express it then I will get an infection.”

“Are you lying?” he asked quietly. “Is this just a trick?”

She looked him straight in the eyes.

She held up her hands, in a supplicant pose.

“No. I need to feed the babies.” She told him.

He reached forward and pulled her up from the chair pressing her close to his body and kissed her long and hard. She forced herself not to react and punch him or raise her leg and knee him somewhere.

He let her go suddenly.

“Fine. I will take you to the hospital to feed your babies.” He acquiesced.

He dragged her back into the room and made to shut the door.

“Can I have the water bottle please?” she asked before he could close it.

He turned around and passed the water bottle to her.

She smiled at him.

“Thank you Gardy.” She said to him

He pushed the door closed and she heard the key turn in the lock.

Nic walked back through to the kitchen. She looked over at her father.

“That was Aden.” She told him and saw a flicker of something cross her fathers features. “He said that the babies have been crying non-stop and won’t accept the bottle formula.”

Her Dad stood up from the table and walked over to the sink.

“What does he expect me to do about it?” Roman asked her coldly.

Nic looked about to say something when Miles motioned for her to stay silent.

“Well you could acknowledge them.” Miles said to him.

“Why? I had no say in their birth.” He turned and looked at Miles. “I wouldn’t have let her go through with the pregnancy not at the risk of her health.” He muttered, tapping into the anger he had held inside since learning of the children’s existence.

“Well tough. Because you had sex with her and she got pregnant. She would have left you, sooner than allow you to bully her into something she didn’t agree with.” Miles said to him, his tone still calm and even.

Nic had to put her hand over her mouth to stop her from commenting.

“I mean if that is truly what you think Roman then don’t even bother trying to get her back from Gardy, she’ll be better off with him.” Miles added.

Roman clenched the stainless steel surround of the sink and took a deep breath. The pit of anger that rested in his stomach swirled and grew.

“In fact if you were so dead against having children why didn’t you do something about it yourself?” Miles asked him.

Jacko and Nic looked over at Miles but he motioned for them to keep quiet.

“You could have gone and had a vasectomy without even telling her. I mean her being pregnant and not telling you breaks that kind of trust doesn’t it?” Miles said to him. ”So why bother trying to get her back from Gardy? It’s not like your relationship is worth anything. She lied to you.”

Roman turned and looked at him, his expression dead and his eyes cold. All he felt was anger.

“She should have told me.” He said eventually.

“Why? What did she owe you? You went off and left her” Miles pointed out softly.

“She was my wife I had the right to know what was going on.” He said. “Gardy should never have got close to her.” His voice was cold.

“But he did. You weren’t here Roman and she nearly died. She gave birth to your babies alone.” Miles said.

Roman looked at him.

“I should have been here. I should have stopped him. I should have killed him years ago.” He said in a quiet voice the guilt of not being there for her overwhelming.

“But you didn’t and you left her. Pregnant and alone.” Miles took a breath and watched as Roman crumpled to the floor in front of them.

Nic gasped and stood in a kind of shock as Miles moved quickly and went over to the other man.

“I hate you Miles.” Roman said when he was able to look up again.

“Yes I know.” Miles grinned. “Come on you’re scaring the children.” He helped Roman to stand.

“Stop trying to be a hero Roman, this is your wife. The mother of your children. I’m sure we’ll all feel better if you show you are human and not some Robot.” Miles told him. “It doesn’t mean that you can’t play hero later on, we kind of expect that from you anyway”

Roman looked at him and embraced him quickly.

“Dad, let me take you to see the children. El would want you to see them you know that.” Nic said to him.

Roman nodded.

“Jacko and I will stay here.” Miles said. ”He can tell me some more stories about you.” He added with a grin.

Roman nodded tiredly letting Nic lead him out to the car.

Jacko looked over at Miles.

“How did you know?” he asked him.

“I didn’t, not for sure but he was too controlled. When he spoke and ate it was starting to get mechanical.”

“Yeah I’ve seen that before a time or two before a mission when I knew he was thinking about things too deeply.” Jacko nodded.

“He’s a sniper isn’t he?” Miles asked out of nowhere.

Jacko looked over at him.

“How did you know?” he asked.

Miles stood again and cleared part of the table.

“Because he once mentioned that he was a murderer and I put it down to what had happened at first but I’ve seen flashes in his eyes sometimes as a memory hits him.”

Miles confessed.

Jacko drained his coffee and he too stood up.

“Snipers are a different animal.” Was all he said.

Miles nodded again.

“Why don’t you leave this with me and you go and get some rest. And possibly a shower?” Miles suggested.

“Yeah I could do with it.” Jacko said with a grin. “Only problem is I don’t have anything to change into. We left in a rush! And Roman’s clothes ain’t exactly my size!”

“I’ll have Jai bring over some clothes of mine, they should fit you.” Miles told him.

“Thanks.” Jacko said with a grin.

“Mike’s room is the last door on the end.” Miles called as Jacko moved to the stairs.

The key turned in the lock and the door swung open slowly with an audible creak.

“Ella.” Gardy called.

She looked up from the mattress and pretended that she had been asleep. Instead of practising her self defence moves.

“Yes.” She said softly.

“Come here.” He instructed.

She looked at his face as she scrambled to her feet.

“Ok.” She said and walked over to him.

“Take off your top.” He told her.

She looked once again at his face.

“Do as I say.” He said angrily.

She made herself flinch as though she was scared.

“It’s ok Ella,” he said pacifying her.

She held up her hands and he undid the ropes. He rubbed her wrists as he did so and she trembled.

“It’s ok.” He said again.

She reached down and pealed off the t shirt revealing the cream lace bra underneath. She hadn’t had a chance to buy maternity bras and knew that she no longer fitted the cups on this one. She hoped that he wouldn’t touch her because she knew she would be sick if he did.

He reached for a belt and placed it around her waist.

“You’ll have 45 minutes. “ he told her.

She looked down and her eyes went wide as she saw the bomb he’d strapped to her. “It’s wired so I’ll be able to hear everything you say. And it has a pressure switch so don’t even think of removing it.”

She nodded, feeling fear rise up in her.

“If you say anything I don’t like I will press this button.” He showed her the detonator.

“Do you understand?” he asked.

She nodded.

“Yes I understand.” She told him looking into his eyes.” Thank you.” She added.

He nodded slowly.

“As soon as we get to the hospital I will set the timer.” He said.

She pulled the top back on and he led her to the car. She stood near the rear of the car and watched as he opened the trunk and she climbed in meekly.

She waited until he started the car and began counting until he turned the car. She counted again until the next turn of the car. Memorising the numbers and directions.

Eventually they pulled up at the rear of the hospital and the car stopped. He helped her out of the car and started the timer on the bomb.

“Remember 45 minutes.” He told her.

She nodded and walked quickly inside the hospital. She made her way to the maternity unit, her legs shaking. She wanted to run but knew he would detonate the bomb.

“Hello.” One of the nurses called out to her. “We were a bit worried when you missed the last feeding.”

Ella nodded.

“Sorry I just ended up going to bed and sleeping.” She explained.

“Probably best to get as much as you can before you take them home” she said to her.

Ella nodded and smiled before she walked into the room where the babies were and weak tears fell down her face. She cradled Georgie to her and felt her milk start immediately.

“You are a hungry one aren’t you!” she cooed.

She moved into a side room and removed the T-shirt so she could nurse him. She felt the relief as he fed from her. She changed his nappy after and cuddled him checking her watch as she did so. Already 14 minutes had gone by. She pulled on the t shirt and took him back to his crib. She picked up the chart that was on Sophie’s incubator and wrote on it, knowing that Aden would see it and pass it on to Roman. He would figure out what it meant.

She walked back into the side room and picked up the pump to express as much milk as possible looking anxiously at her watch.

Another 7 minutes went past.

She handed over the milk to the nurse with a tight smile and began walking out.

The elevator opened and she went to step into it when she looked up and saw Nic and Roman.

She heard Nic’s gasp and raised her finger to her lips.

Roman immediately clamped a hand over his daughter’s mouth and nodded. He followed Ella into the side room and she lifted the T-shirt to reveal the strapped bomb on her. He also saw the microphone and nodded at her.

“I’m ok.” She mouthed at him. “He hasn’t done anything.”

He nodded again.

She caught hold of his hand and pressed her lips to it.

“Sophie.” She mouthed to him, watching as he read her lips. “Come and get me.” She smiled sadly and looked at the timer. Seven minutes left.

She kissed him softly and turned to leave.

She turned in the door and looked over at him one last time.

“I love you.” She mouthed and he did the same.

She ran to the elevators and pressed the button feeling time slip away. When it arrived she climbed into it looking through the doors over at Roman.

He mouthed the words she would have given anything to hear out loud.

“I will find you.”

The doors slid shut.

“Dad.” Nic said uncertainly.

“It had a pressure switch and there was no way I could have disarmed it in the time we had left.” He told her.

She moved closer to him and he put his arms around her.

“Its ok Nic, she left us a clue. Show me Sophie.” He pressed a kiss to her temple.

He looked over at his other daughter for the first time and could have wept. She was so small and struggling so much.

He lifted up the chart and saw Ella’s handwriting on there.

“What does it mean Dad?” Nic asked.

“They are directions.” He explained. He took the paper and folded it up he put it in his pocket before he placed his hand into the incubator to touch Sophie’s fingers. She caught his finger and held tight as she kicked her legs up.

Nic placed her hand on her Dad’s arm and he looked over at her.

“No Nic, you were never this small and you used to reach for our wallets not our fingers.” He told her with a grin.

“Oi!” she exclaimed.

“Actually I’m serious. When you were teething you would chew on a credit card! Was the only thing that stopped you screaming.” He grinned down at her. “Now where is my son?” he asked.

He walked over to the crib that Nic indicated and picked his son up for his first cuddle with his father.

“Hey.” He said to him feeling overwhelmed.

Nic felt herself tearing up again and looked down at Angel, fast asleep in her car seat. She sighed. It wouldn’t be right to wake her up so she could have a cuddle.

She turned at the door opened and Aden chose that moment to walk in. She launched herself at him and sobbed her heart out.

“I had a dream about a glamorous woman throwing herself at me once. Strangely it was nothing like this.” He whispered to Nic.

She looked up.

“I’m glamorous?” she asked.

“Apart from the red nose and the panda eyes, you are a Princess.” He told her with a flash of his famous smirk. It had the desired effect and she stopped crying.

“I got told that Ella was here.” He said.

“She had to leave.” Roman said softly, watching as Georgie slowly went to sleep. He pressed a kiss to his son’s head and lay him in his crib.

They walked out of the nursery and into the side room.

“She had a bomb strapped to her.” Nic told him quickly.

Aden nodded.

“She left us directions of where she is being held.” Roman told him. “I need to get these back to Jacko so we can figure them out.” He said to Nic.

“I’m presuming its not Google Earth Map with the words I am here on them.” Aden said.

Roman chuckled.

“I wish it was.” He said. “El isn’t that good with directions.” He told them. “Nic drop me off at home.” He said softly.

She nodded and before they left she pressed a kiss to Aden’s cheek.

“Thanks Bro!” she said.

“Anytime Princess.” He chuckled.

They walked out of the room and Aden watched them leave before walking in to see Ella’s babies.

Chapter 27 - A piece of the puzzle

Roman, Jacko and Miles laid out the paper from the hospital and looked at it. It was a jumble of numbers and letters. R stood for Right they presumed and L for left and then S for straight.

“Presumably she wasn’t able to see anything.” Miles said. “Lets start at the hospital and work backwards. “ he suggested.

“Ok so that’s 34R” Roman said.

They looked at the map and say the maze of roads.

“Dammit.” Roman said.

“Hardcore. Focus. We have a lead. Now think. The numbers would be her counting. So how would she count.”

“1 –1000” Miles answered for him.

“How?” Roman asked.

“We talked about it during a thunderstorm. She said when she was a kid her brother was afraid of them so she would count. See the lightening and then count until the thunder. 1-1000, 2-1000. She learnt it in the UK when she was really small.” Miles told him. “Whatever number they got up to would be the amount of Miles the storm was away from them. Used to focus Michael on something else instead.”

“Mike, afraid of storms?” Jacko asked. “I never would have guessed.”

Miles laughed.

“She said she told him to do something similar during a live fire exercise or something so he could focus on the task not the noise.” Miles told them.

“Just one question. Exactly how friendly did you get with my wife while I was gone?” Roman asked the other man.

Miles grinned at him.

“That’s for me to know and you as a trained SAS Killer who knows how to kill me without leaving a mark never to know!” Miles told him.

“Ok that still leaves us with loads of possibilities.” Jacko said, still grinning at Miles remark.

“Two actually.” Roman said. “This road or this road.”

“Well what’s the next one?” Miles asked.

“24L” Jacko supplied.

“Rules out that one, there is no Left turn on it or off it even.” Roman said. “So we follow this and the next one is Milton Avenue and on to Cranston road.”

“Assuming that Cranston is on the left.” Miles said.

Roman nodded.

“How the hell did she remember all this?” Jacko asked.

“She has a photographic memory. She can remember grudges far longer than I can.” Roman told him with a grin.

“Really?” he asked.

Roman shrugged.

“I don’t think she’d ever really tested it but she does have this weird recall thing going on.”

Miles nodded.

“She can also speed read and remember every picture she ever took.” He added earning another suspicious look from Roman.

Roman looked back to the map.

“Miles when this is over I think we should have a talk.” He said softly.

Miles laughed.

“Not a chance in Hell.” Miles told him with a grin.

They went through the remaining directions and it led them to the warehouse district in Yabbie Creek.

“Well that’s it.” Jacko said.

“Not quite.” Miles said. “I have a secret weapon.”

He pulled out his phone and called Jai asking him to come over and bring his laptop. Roman walked over and started to make drinks for everyone.

Miles walked up to him.

“We didn’t have an affair. We just spent a lot of time together. She didn’t leave the house much because of the pregnancy.” He began quietly. “She used to talk about you a lot, asking me to tell stories to her about when we first came to the Bay.”

Roman nodded.

“Thank you.” He said quietly.

“But?” Miles asked.

“She was with someone.” Roman told him. “I know my El and the woman I was with every so briefly, before Gardy got her, was different.”

“You mean?” Mile asked, raising his eyebrows suggestively.

Roman nodded.

“It could have been because of the babies. She really did do through a lot you know.” Miles put his hand on Romans back, he watched while the other man shook his head.

“No. It was more than that.” Roman said. He glanced over and saw that Jacko had made himself scarce and smiled.

“She hesitated when she touched me.” He said. “Forget it, I’m not comfortable talking about this stuff.”

“Like she couldn’t remember how to touch you because she had been touching someone else?” Miles asked.

Roman’s head shot up and he nodded.

Miles sighed.

“I’m sorry Roman.” He said. “I never saw her with anyone else and I was here 2 or 3 times a week. The rest of the time it was Nic and Geoff or Aden.”

“You mean Aden and Belle?” Roman asked.

“Mostly Aden. Belle would see to the kids and Aden would come over before a shift or after depending on the time. Belle would come over every afternoon though, on the way to pick up the children. They would talk photography.”

Miles picked up the coffee Roman had made for him and took a quick sip, blowing on the hot liquid to cool it.

Roman took Jacko’s drink through to him

“You two finished your girlie chat?” Jacko asked with a grin.

Miles laughed.

“I don’t know how you can call me girlie when you kissed him.” Miles told Jacko.

“LT you didn’t tell him that?” Jacko asked.

“No but I have a feeling that Ella may have done!” Roman muttered. “Oh no!” he groaned. “It was you?” he said to Miles.

“I suggested it!” Miles said sitting on the sofa. “She rang Joe while I was here.”

“I might have known. What the hell did I do to deserve all of you in my life?” Roman groaned.

Miles and Jacko looked at each other.

“Jus’ Lucky I guess.” They said together.

Roman shook his head at them before he laughed.

They looked up as a knock sounded at the door and Miles walked over to answer it letting Jai in.

“Jai this is Jacko a friend of Roman’s” He introduced the other man.

“Hi.” Jai said to him.

He walked into the kitchen and set up the laptop.

“What do you need?” Jai asked.

Miles walked over to him and pointed out the area on the map.

“We need to find out as much information about this area as possible. What is here? Who has rented the building or owns them?” Miles broke it down.

“I need to ring El’s dad. We should get a list of company names Gardy uses and see if there is any connection.” Roman suggested. He walked over to the cabinet and opened it pulling out the contact details the other man had left before he went the preceding night.

“How legal do you want this search to be?” Jai asked them.

“As legal as you are comfortable with.” Miles answered him, ignoring the sudden look from Roman.

Jai grinned.

He began tapping into the keyboard before hooking up the portable printer. A half-hour went by before he printed off a map and a list of the buildings and tenets.

Roman hung up the phone and brought over his hand-written list from the discussion he’d had with Ella father.

They compared the two and one name stood out, Asound holdings.

“Houston I think we have lift off!” Jacko murmured.

“Jai can you get me blueprints of this building?” Roman asked him.

“Done!” he said picking up the prints off the printer and handing them to him.

Jacko stood and put his hand on Roman’s shoulder.

“I know you want to go off tonight Roman but you are tired and we need a plan. He had a bomb strapped to her today.” Jacko told him.

“I know. Trust me I know.” Roman said.

“Seems to me and I’m not trained or anything that going tomorrow after you’ve had a chance to reconnoitre the area would be better.” Miles said softly. “And Gardy will have had two nights with little sleep with Ella messing with his head while you will be fresh.”

Roman nodded.

“Give Pete a call.” He instructed Jacko.

The other man nodded and went to make the phone call.

Roman walked over to Miles and embraced the other man.

“Thank you Miles.” He said.

“No thanks are needed you helped me come home.” He said to Roman. “And find my son.” He added emotionally, referring to Jai. “Now I’m useless at this fighting business and you are running out of coffee so I’m going to go home.”

Roman saw them to the door and spread out the blueprints of the building on the table.

“Hardcore.” Jacko said. “What ever you are thinking don’t go there.” Jacko said.

“He has her tonight.” Roman said. “What if he…” he trailed off.

“What if he does?” Jacko asked. “It won’t be the end of the world. You’ll still have Ella.”

Roman’s head shot up.

“She won’t be Ella anymore.” Roman said softly. “It’ll hurt her.”

“She survived him before. She lost nearly her whole family in one go and came back from that.” Jacko told him. “She’s strong enough to deal with it.”

Jacko looked over at his friend, he’d seen every emotion wrung from him in this one day and knew that it would still take a lot to get him to sleep.

The phone rang at that moment and they looked at each other before Roman walked over to it and hit the record button before putting it on speakerphone.

“Hello.” He said.

“Hardcore!” Gardy slurred. “Guess What I’m going to do tonight?”

“I don’t know Gardy, go to an AA meeting? Get a personality? Find God?” Roman asked folding his arms across his chest.

“I’m going to screw your woman.” Gardy muttered.

“You and everyone else so I’ve heard.” Roman said softly.

“Why don’t you come watch?” Gardy said, his voice muffled.

“Sure why not I have five minutes spare and I heard you don’t last any longer than that.” Roman said and heard Gardy roar on the other end of the connection.

He heard the sound of breaking glass and then Gardy swearing.

“Damn you Hardcore.” Gardy said rambling, “my last bottle.”

Roman forced himself not to laugh.

“What do you want Gardy? My blessing? You’ve got it. Have fun.” Roman told him clenching his hands into fists.

“Beg for the *****.” Gardy told him.

“Fine.” Roman said and sighed. “Please don’t send her back I don’t want her. There are you happy now?”

Gardy hung up the phone.

Jacko was laughing.

“Ok how is that funny?” Roman asked him.

“Just what are the chances of him getting it up tonight as drunk as he was?“ Jacko muttered. “And with the state he’s in Ella not kicking his ass for trying it!”

“Sometimes Sgt your logic just plain escapes me.” Roman said before he passed a weary hand over his face and chuckled.

“Pete will be here at 05:30. You think you can drag your ass out of bed at that time?” Jacko asked him.

“Don’t you worry yourself Sgt I’ll be up.”

Roman laughed again and led them upstairs.

“And just in case Sgt I will be locking my door so you are definitely sleeping on your own!” He said.

“Wait until you is asked LT.” Jacko said and walked into Mike’s room closing the door firmly.

Chapter 28 – Welcome to the Dark Side

Roman, Pete, James and Jacko were sitting round the table. Somehow word had leaked out that they had an idea where Ella was being held and Aden and Geoff were also there.

Roman felt a strange kind of lethargy wash over him as they discussed mission specifics in his kitchen and knew that the three hours sleep he’d managed to get had gone no way in easing his overall exhaustion. He was not a brash idiot anymore; to quote Jacko, that could frequently go days without rest, he was a family man now with different perspectives. It wasn’t just his life on the line here it was Ella’s and Mike’s and the babies. A stupid mistake on his part and he could wipe out all that. Never before had he had self doubt like now.

He sighed and couldn’t fail to notice the concerned looks between Jacko and the others.

“Hardcore you with us?” Jacko asked him.

He stood restlessly and walked into the lounge and away from them all. He sat his head in his hands and eventually Geoff followed into the room.

“Roman.” He said softly.

Roman looked up and half smiled, a bare twist of his lips.

“I can’t do it.” he said eventually. “Not risking Ella.”

“And if you don’t what do you think he is going to do to her?” Geoff asked softly, adding, “He’s going to kill her because she won’t live up to his ideal of her.”

Roman looked at him.

“You aren’t alone Roman. We are here Aden, Miles, Jacko, Pete and James, all of us. You are not going to be alone.” Geoff told him. “We love her too and seems to me that is the important bit right now.”

Roman shook his head as though to clear it.

“I can’t Geoff.” He said flatly.

“What about Ella?” Geoff said pulling on his psychology training. “Is she saying go on Gardy because I give up.” he paused letting his words sink in. “I can’t imagine that Roman is coming for me so just do what you want. Here I’ll lay down on my back for you.” Geoff said the cruellest words he could, watching as the curl of anger built in the other man.

“Is she going to let him or will she fight?” Geoff asked him.

“She’ll fight.” Roman bit out.

“Then you need to help her.” Geoff told him. “Use that head of yours. He was your man. Play on his weakness. Use his vanity against him.

Roman nodded and stood walking back into the kitchen.

He looked round the table and nodded slowly.

“Hardcore, we have a plan.” Pete told him. “But you’re not going to like it.”

Roman nodded again.

“I know what you are thinking. Trojan Horse.” He said.

“Trojan Horse?” Aden questioned.

“Putting a man inside with surveillance equipment on him so that we can see inside.” Pete told him. “And quite frankly the only man that he won’t kill is…”

“Me.” Roman interrupted the other man.

“No.” Aden said immediately.

“I’m sorry Aden.” Roman told him.

“He will …” Aden began.

“Beat me up.” Roman grinned. “I know.”

Jacko looked over at him.

“You forgetting something LT?” Jacko asked him. “You are carrying a little injury at the moment.” Jacko referred to the cracked ribs Roman had sustained in Afghanistan.

“You have any other suggestions?” Roman asked Jacko.

“LT it’s risky. It may set him over the edge and trigger you know what.” Jacko told him. “You’re risking a lot.”

“What?” Aden asked.

“Gardy wants to hurt me and teach me a lesson and he may use Ella to do it. We don’t know if he has the place wired to explode or not. We don’t know if he really is alone.” Roman told him. “We could watch the place and do some reconnoitre but the longer we wait the more deranged he will become. He knows about Belle and Nic and the babies.”

“Its still risky LT.” Pete said to him. “He has a short fuse.”

“Pete we need some equipment.” Roman said to him.

The other man smiled and picked up the holdall by the side of him and put in on the table before emptying the contents.

A variety of guns fell out.

“I’ve pushed through the paperwork so that you and Jacko are licensed to carry a concealed weapon.” James told them.

Aden wandered over to the table and looked at the grenade canisters.

“You guys are serious.” Aden whistled under his breath.

“Those are flash bangs.” Roman told him. “Like we would have real hand grenades. “ He murmured and picked one up pulling the pin.

“Oh, actually this one is.” He threw it at Jacko who caught it.

“Very funny Hardcore.” Jacko muttered. “Heads up Pete.” He said and threw the grenade at Pete who juggled it before catching it and pressing down the safety on it.

“Roman I think your son is about to faint.” Pete said to him, looking at pale faced Aden.

Roman took the grenade and put the pin back into it.

“Happy?” Roman asked with a grin.

“You guys need professional treatment.” Aden told them. “Playing catch with a live grenade?”

Roman and the others laughed.

“We did once play Frisbee with a landmine but got told off for that one.” James told him with a grin.

“Hey, wasn’t that the time when one-arm Kenny played catch?” Jacko asked them.

Pete laughed.

“I thought he was just called Kenny?” He said.

“He was until that day!” Roman chuckled.

“Right that’s it. There is way too much testosterone in this room!” Aden said and looked at Geoff who was grinning.

“So are we set?” Jacko asked.

“Trojan Horse.” Roman said.

“Trojan.” James said.

Pete looked at them. “Trojan Horse.” He agreed.

“Right, I need to memorise this floor plan and the exits.” Roman told them. “Aden, Geoff I know you won’t want to be left behind but you won’t be armed and we need to worry about what is in front of us and not behind.”

Aden and Geoff exchanged a glance.

“Of course.” Geoff agreed. “We should get going and leave you too it. Come on Aden.” Geoff put his hand on Aden’s arm and pulled him out.

Once outside Aden pushed Geoff’s hand off him.

“Of course Bible boy?” Aden questioned.

Geoff laughed.

“Come on lets go.” He said and climbed in the car heading in the direction of Yabbie Creek and most likely the industrial area.

“Geoffrey Campbell you are sneaky.” Aden said once he realised the direction that they were heading.

“Just because we aren’t action heroes doesn’t mean that we can’t go have a look.” Geoff pointed out.

“You really think Roman can handle this?” Aden asked him.

“I think he will find the strength to from somewhere and that he has been through something just as bad.” Geoff said, steering the car round a sharp corner.

“As bad as this?” Aden asked.

“Yes, he lost her once when her brother was killed.” Geoff looked over at Aden’s profile. “You know you can talk to me in confidence.” He murmured.

“Why say that?” Aden asked in surprise.

“Because you, and Ella.“ Geoff told him.

“Woah, Bible Boy.” Aden gasped.

After a pause.

“Does Nic know?” Aden asked.

“No.” Geoff told him. “But Roman suspects. What are you planning to do?”

“Nothing happened.” Aden said shakily, “Well, beyond some kisses.” He took a breath. “As to what we plan to do we planned to sit down and tell Roman and hope like Hell that he won’t kill us. Well at least that is what we had planned up until this all happened.”

Geoff nodded slowly.

“And how about Belle?” he asked.

“Belle doesn’t know. And I don’t know how to tell her.” Aden confessed.

“What do you think you feel for Ella?” Geoff asked.

“I feel …” Aden paused. “I’m in love with her and how messed up is that. If she hadn’t have been missing him and hormonal nothing would have happened and yet I can’t imagine not seeing her again. Am I totally screwed up Counsellor?” he asked Geoff.

“Absolutely. But then I always said you were!” Geoff said.

He indicated and pulled over to the side of the road when traffic allowed him and clicking on the hazard lights he turned to Aden.

“My professional opinion. You are not in love with Ella you are confusing your feelings for someone you admire with those that you would have for a maternal figure and that if you do tell Roman you have to do so when you’ve put those feelings to one side. Roman has a tendency to be noble on occasion and if he were to believe that you were in love with Ella and she returned those feelings he would probably allow you two to be together. Although that is supposition, on the other hand he may kill you.” Geoff paused and looked at him. “Ella does care for you and you need to let her. All your life you’ve confused the boundaries of sex and love which is common for someone who has been in a situation that you have. You are in love with Belle because you couldn’t be with her without that connection.”

“Bible Boy I think I’m scared of you!” Aden said.

“Yeah right. You cut up people for a living!” Geoff told him with a laugh.

“Maybe so, but I don’t get into peoples heads!” Aden muttered.

Geoff laughed.

He started the car up again and with another flash of indicators he pulled smoothly into traffic.

“My advice give it some time and let things settle. Give yourself the space to sort your head out.” Geoff told him.

“Thanks Bible boy.” Aden told him emotionally.

“Aden do you think at some point you could upgrade me to Bible Man?” Geoff asked semi-seriously.

“Yeah, I could but then the tattoo would have to be changed.” Aden grinned.

“I thought we agreed never to refer to my stag night ever again.” Geoff muttered.

They looked at each other and laughed.

Chapter 29 – Showdown

Gardy pulled off her jeans despite her telling him no, his breath smelt of whisky and she knew he had been drinking all night. She pushed at his hands and cried when he felt up her breast. His foetid breath was hot on her skin. She flinched when his fingers pinched her nipple.

“Oh Ella you should have been mine.” He slurred.

He stroked her face.

“Mine.” He groaned.

He kissed her deeply.

She kept her head still with extreme difficulty, letting him press his fleshy lips to hers. She tried not to gag or even worse bite him. She had to keep him pacified until she could either escape or Roman came for her.

Ella screamed when his hand ran up her naked thigh.

“I can’t, please.” She cried. “The doctor. I have to see the doctor. And I can’t get pregnant again.” She pleaded with him. He rolled off her.

“If you are lying to me I will hurt you.” Gardy told her.

She began to sob.

“I can’t have another baby it will kill me I swear that is the truth.” She told him. “I shouldn’t have had the twins.” She told him. “I nearly died giving birth to them.”

He sighed.

“Gardy please.” She begged.

He stood up and walked out of the room leaving her sobbing on the mattress. She heard the door slam and then the key turn in the lock.

She waited until it went quiet outside and then sat up.

She had no idea how long she could stall him. He was getting more demanding the longer things went on. She didn’t know how to get another message to Roman she could only hope that he could work out the other one.

She pulled her jeans back on and curled up into a ball on the mattress sobbing her heart out, she didn’t hear the door open again.

Roman took a breath and stood outside the unit. He’d checked the two cameras by the door and noticed that they hadn’t moved in the last hour that he’d been here. It confirmed his suspicion that they were not hooked up. Maybe the arms business wasn’t as lucrative as Gardy made out it was, Roman thought with a grin on his face. He checked the gun again and clicked the safety off. It was a 9 mm Browning with 15 round clip.

He ran to the side of the building in between the two cameras so that if they were working he would be in the automatic blind spot. He waited taking a deep breath and tested the door handle. It made a noise as he turned it. He grimaced and tested the lock. Crouching down he pulled a set of picks out of one of his pockets and picked the lock on the door. Using a small aerosol can he sprayed the handle with oil to ease off any sound it made. The handle turned slowly and he eased the door open a crack testing to see if it made any noise.

Perching low down he stayed in position with the pistol poised. The door creaked for a fraction of a second, causing his heartbeat to quicken, before it swung open without any further noise. He stepped through quietly and eased the door quietly shut behind him, releasing the deep breath he had been holding without realising it. Perhaps he had gone soft in the intervening years he thought sarcastically remembering when this would have been fun.

He scanned back and forth. The floor plan he’d memorised little use when he was confronted but a maze of boxes and crates in front on him. He looked up and saw a long galley stretching the length of the warehouse and considered making his way up there to get the bird eye view, but dismissed that thought as it would delay him getting to Gardy or Ella. Not that negotiating the crates would be any less of a challenge.

He checked the floor and saw that there was a significant layer of dust on it near the door he’d just come through which confirmed his suspicion that this entrance wasn’t used. Gardy should have come up with a working camera or a tripwire or something. He really was getting sloppy. It cause Roman to sigh as he thought he’d trained the other man better than that and then he almost slapped himself on the head for his own stupidity. Any mistakes on Gardy’s part would work in his favour.

Roman grinned feeling the throb of adrenaline skip through his system. If this wasn’t a life or death situation involving his wife this would be fun, he thought. Maybe there was more soldier still in him that he’d first thought.

He took a few steps forward and looked around as he heard a sudden noise from the gangway above him. He narrowed his eyes as he scanned it but couldn’t see anything. He waited, his eyes looking around him.

He took a deep breath and stepped forward in between the first row of crates. Curiosity got the better of him and he found himself looking into the top one, which was already open. The crate was full of guns, from AK-47’s to M16’ and M4’s. He whistled softly under his breath, while a small voice inside his head actually wondered if Gardy would miss a few of them and he started up a gun collection of his own. Yeah, he thought sarcastically, he could see Ella appreciating a display cabinet full of guns.

He stepped forward slowly, walking almost silently in between the crates. According to the floor plans the room directly in front of him were toilets and the ones to the left were offices. He walked through the remainder of the crates and found a table and a couple of chairs. This was obviously where he was sitting.

Roman heard the noise again and his attention was grabbed by hearing footsteps on the gangplank. He trained his weapon on the area and scanned the shadowed area. Only the soft footfall behind him alerted him to the fact he wasn’t alone. Despite this the impact of the wooden plank as it hit him across his back was almost crippling as it connected with his already cracked ribs and sent a shockwave of pain through his body and dispatched him sprawling across the dusty warehouse floor. The gun shot out of his hand and along the floor coming to rest underneath some crates.

Roman swore.

“Hello Hardcore. So glad you could join me.” Gardy sneered.

He raised the wooden plank again and began to bring it down onto Roman’s prone figure. At the very last second Roman rolled out of the way and the wood hit the ground with an interesting noise. Roman almost grinned as he imagined the repercussion of the hit going through the wood and into Gardy’s arms. It would have hurt and strangely he did know that from experience.

“I knew you were lying when you said you didn’t want her.” Gardy leered and raised the club again.

“Actually, I came for you. I figured we had unfinished business.” Roman grinned. He made eye contact with Gardy and didn’t break it, watching at a tick appeared in the corner near his left eye. He kept his eyes focused on Gardy’s face and waited, letting his weight rest on the balls of his feet.

The club swung and Roman caught it and pulled. Gardy went off balance and roared as he lunged forward. Roman’s fist swung and connected not a decent blow but enough of an impact to help propel Gardy off balance. Another blow hit him in the solar plexus and the other man near fell, his own bodyweight forcing him forward.

Gardy roared indignantly at being thrown off balance so quickly. He pushed at Roman who allowed the other man to fall forward, while his knee connected with Gardy’s stomach.

Roman heard the man groan and knew that he had managed to hurt him. The audible groan fuelling Roman’s next move as he yanked the wooden plank from Gardy’s grasp and threw it to one side. Gardy almost screamed with frustration and pummelled Roman, his blows reigning on the already damaged ribs. Roman gritted his teeth against the pain but he heard a suspicious cracking sound and the sharp influx of pain notified him through the adrenaline haze that one of his ribs was now broken. He moved so that the blows would now fall on the other side of his body, trying to do so in such a way that Gardy wouldn’t notice.

His breath was coming in gasps now, each one sending a fresh wave of pain through his tortured and exhausted body. Great, he thought, he had turned into a wimp. He grinned at the last thought and the sight of it increased Gardy’s rage.

“Maybe we should just sit and have a peaceful chat about this?” Roman suggested his breathing ragged.

Gardy almost screamed with rage and ran forward. His fists flying in whatever direction they could as he tried to punish Roman. The hits connected and Roman groaned under the attack letting his own fists loose he punched as much as Gardy. A lucky punch from Gardy connected with his already broken rib and the pain that washed over Roman made him stagger. He swore before dragging up his arm and driving his elbow into Gardy’s face. The blow shattered Gardy’s nose and blood erupted from it. Half turning Roman followed it up with a head butt connecting with the broken nose and immediately blackening the other mans eyes. He was abler to place a number of blows to the other man while he staggered back from the others.

Reaching down Gardy pulled a knife from his belt. Roman caught a glance at it and noticed that the blade had already been blooded. He moaned, his mind already coming up with various scenarios.

The swing of the other man’s hand in a surprisingly graceful arc nearly reached him. He blacked with his own arm at the last possible second, grabbing Gardy’s wrist he tugged the man off balance and used his leg to trip him so that the man was rolled over Roman’s hip and to the floor. They struggled for the knife as it was between them. Roman finally managed to wrestle it away from the other man and it skidded across the floor.

Roman took a quick glance up to where the knife now rested and he saw Ella standing the doorway.

He gasped and Gardy used this opportunity to force Roman onto his back while he hit the other man.

“No!” Ella shouted.

The distraction was enough and Roman was once again on top his fists repeatedly hitting the other man.

Aden and Geoff appeared out of nowhere and Ella told them to stop Roman before he killed Gardy.

They eventually pulled him off the beaten man and although he were unconscious they tied him up.

Roman looked over at Ella and she smiled. He made to walk toward her but he took a step and collapsed unconscious. Aden raced to his side and began checking him out as Jacko and Pete ran into the warehouse.

“Ella?” Geoff said.

She looked at him without saying anything.

Pete took charge and called the police and the ambulance.

Archived