Bookshops in London

Guest Barbara

Hi everyone,

I need some help from people living in London or people who know the city pretty well.

I'm going to London next month and I want to buy some English books. I've decided I had to read more in English. I usually read French or Dutch books.

I usually go to Waterstone's or Books etc. but are there any other good bookshops? Or second-hand bookshops maybe? Preferably near Oxford Street, Regent Street, Victoria Station, Paddington Station and St Pancras Station. :unsure:

If you know a shop somewhere else in London, you can still mention it. I can always go and have a look if there's some time left.

Thank you in advance for your help. :)

There is Foyles at St Pancras International* and at Selfridges on Oxford Street.

*That is the station you should arrive in if you are traveling by Eurostar. :)

Foyles at St Pancras International

Monday-Saturday: 7.00am-9.30pm

Sunday 9.00am-7.00pm

Public holidays: Normal Hours Apply

Foyles at Selfridges, Oxford Street

Monday - Wednesday, Friday: 9.30am - 8.00pm

Thursday, Saturday 9.30am - 9.00pm

Sunday 11.30am* - 6.00pm

*11.30am - 12.00pm browsing only

I hope that helps, Barbara. I've only been to London once myself, so I don't have proper knowledge of the city. But I heard that Foyles is good. :)

If you have the time, then you should go down to Camden Town. My favorite place in London. :P There's a really good second-hand Bookshop at Camden Lock Market by the canal, and sell books at relatively cheap prices. The market is also great, you can find a lot of stuffs for a good price. Theres also a Waterstone's there. The transport is pretty easy too, just catch the Northern Line. :)

If not then, there's a huge Waterstone's at Piccadilly [as Rising flame mentioned. :)] 8 floor's so you'll be spoiled for choices :P or, if your at Oxford street then you'd most likely find the common bookshops there [Waterstone's, Books etc, WHSmith. :)]

The place to be for books is definitely Charing Cross Road which is actually off Oxford Street - there's a tube station at either end (Leicester Square and Tottenham Court Road, the latter of which is at the junction with Oxford Street)

Foyles' main store is there, aswell as Borders and Blackwells, but there's also loads of second-hand bookshops

There's also Cecil Court nearby too

Edit: It has its own Wiki page it seems :Phttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charing_Cross_Road

Services have recommenced, Barbara. :) There are still London-Brussels trains running, but not that many.

Eurostar said 12 trains were expected to run Saturday in each direction between Paris and London and up to six trains in each direction between Brussels and London.

Shouldn't be too long before it's back to normal. :)

Here are some other amazing bookshops located in Central London.

Daunt located in Marylebone: http://www.dauntbooks.co.uk

Hatchards located in Piccadilly: http://www.hatchards.co.uk

Book Thrift located in South Kensington - which unfortunately doesn't have a website, but I've been there a few times and it's a really good bookshop.

All those shops mentioned above are quite easy to get to from the places you mentioned.

Hope this post helps. :)

Archived