'Jack Sugden' Dies at 63

Guest Dan F

Emmerdale actor Hornby dies at 63

BBC News

_44804606_-15.jpg

Actor Clive Hornby, who played Jack Sugden in ITV1 soap Emmerdale, has died at the age of 63.

It was announced in January that Hornby would be taking a break from the soap because of ill health.

The star had been in Emmerdale for 28 years after signing up on a three-month contract and was the soap's longest-serving cast member.

Hornby, the third actor to play Jack Sugden, enjoyed success as drummer with 1960s Liverpool band The Dennisons.

Emmerdale series producer Anita Turner said she was "deeply saddened" by "a devastating loss".

"Clive will be greatly missed by everyone who has worked with him on Emmerdale during the past 28 years," she said.

"He was a hugely popular and well-respected member of cast and a terrific actor."

After The Dennisons split up, Hornby became an actor, attending the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art before working in repertory theatre.

He went on to appear in a number of TV shows including Gerry Anderson's Space 1999 and army sitcom Get Some In, which also starred My Family actor Robert Lindsay.

He also featured in comedy series Minder alongside George Cole.

Hornby's Emmerdale character married three times and had five children.

Jack, the farmer son of Jacob and Annie Sugden, married teenage sweetheart Pat in 1982 but she died in 1986 leaving him to bring up their baby, Robert, on his own.

In 1994, second wife Sarah Connolly died in a barn fire.

Jack later married pub landlady Diane Blackstock.

Speaking last year to the Daily Mirror about his early days in the show, Hornby said: "It really was about farming then - I'd milk the cows, drive the combine harvester, plough fields.

"On my first day on location, we had to deliver a calf.

"I wish there could be more of that stuff because we've got this lovely backdrop we don't use as much."

The actor noted that he still wore the same flat cap he was given on his first day.

Archived