Jane McGrath dies aged 42

Guest Luc

Jane McGrath, wife of former Australian cricketer Glenn McGrath, has died after a long battle with breast cancer, Cricket Australia announced.

"It is with deep sadness that the family and friends of Jane McGrath, beloved wife of former Australian cricketer Glenn and loving mother of James and Holly, must announce she passed away at her home (Sunday) morning," a Cricket Australia statement said.

"With Glenn and their two children by her side, Jane's wonderful life ended peacefully after a sudden decline in her health over the past week."

McGrath, 42, had surgery earlier this year and was recovering before complications set in, the statement added.

"Jane McGrath has left a lasting legacy through the McGrath Foundation, an organisation that is providing thousands of women hope - and support - in their fight against breast cancer," the statement said.

"The McGrath Family have requested their privacy be respected at this very difficult time."

And another article...

Jane McGrath loses battle

JANE McGrath, the wife of former cricket great, Glenn McGrath, passed away at her home this morning her management company said.

Mrs McGrath had battled cancer for a number of years.

In the statement her management company released, it said: "With Glenn and their two children by her side, Jane's wonderful life ended peacefully after a sudden decline in her health over the past week. "

Mrs McGrath, 42, had surgery earlier in the year and was recovering before complications set in.

She has two children, James and Holly.

Mrs McGrath was first diagnosed with breast cancer in 1996. She fought a secondary cancer in her hip and in 2006 was diagnosed with a brain tumour.

Her husband stood down from international cricket for eight months to help her recover from radiotherapy.

Along with her husband, Mrs McGrath founded the McGrath Fondation, after first battling breast cancer.

The foundation provides breast cancer education and breast cancer nurses for women suffering from the disease.

On the McGrath Foundation's website Mrs McGrath explained her passion for helping other women with breast cancer.

"I was only 31 when I was first diagnosed with breast cancer," she wrote.

" I feel very passionate about empowering women under 40 to take control of their health by conducting regular breast checks - early detection saves lives. "

Earlier this year Mrs and Mr McGrath were made Members in the General Division of the Order of Australia for there fundraising efforts for breast cancer research.

Praise for Mrs McGrath and the work she did through the McGrath Foundation have started to pour in.

Chief Executive of the National Breast Cancer Foundation Sue Murray said Mrs McGrath had always been encouraging of other women with breast cancer.

"The role model that she has presented to women right throughout her journey has been inspiring, has been very supportive and very encouraging for all women who go through breast cancer," Ms Murray said.

"I think also that the work the McGrath Foundation did in increasing the role of breast care nurses, in supporting and funding breast care nurses is an extremely important one."

Ms Murray said Jane McGrath's case demonstrated that it was not possible to say whether a woman had been cured of breast cancer.

"I guess it just highlights for us, that, irrespective of who the person is, we can't categorically say that breast cancer is cured," Ms Murray said.

"Until we know how to prevent the disease every woman who is diagnosed with breast cancer will live with the uncertainty of its return and the uncertainty of the outcomes if and when it does return."

NSW Premier Morris Iemma sent his condolences to Mr McGrath and his children.

"Jane McGrath was an inspiration to us all," Mr Iemma said in a statement today.

"She enriched our lives with a spirit of humility, courage and virtue.

"Her wonderful efforts will never be forgotten."

I'm not into the cricket that much, but I know who he is, but not his wife, but I find it sad that she died really young... She's as old as my mum, I couldn't even imagining that happening to her, it's sad :(

Archived