2007 Revamp - unsuccessful?

Guest Nathan.

I never really believed that Neighbours was in any danger of being canceled, but after tonight's episode... *shakes head.* I don't know what to think. It could be a bad day, but it was a REALLY bad day... not only was I not interested in the story or the characters, I was actually cringing through a lot of it because the characters are all so grating. The only people I liked at all were Ty and Ringo - but Ty's still not doing anything much, and I just wanted to cry for Ringo, surrounded by Parkers and pretending to be interested. He's a good actor, but I don't think anyone could have made that convincing.

I ended up leaving in disgust.

I hadn't watched neighbours for about 6 months before the revamp - and when it happened, it was okay to start with, but then the appeal wore off, and to be honest, I have ony watched 1 or 2 episodes in about a year - and yes, it is so dark these days, and where are all the bright and cheerful characters? In the past we've had people like Mrs. Mangle, Sky and Pepper - who've we got now that can be that odd, for the lack of a better word. The storylines I've been reading latley in TV Week have no interest in me, it's just because the show has lost it's feeling - does anyone get me - it got the 'Neighbours feel" back for about a month after the revamp, and then soon lost it - and the show also reminds me a bit of EastEnders, because nobody is ever happy - all in all, I would introduce brighter settings, a range of differing characters and some good news once in a while. End of rant - I think I may ahve got sidetracked in there somewhere, sorry if it makes no sense :lol:.

I am enjoying it, and looking forward to the new producers work, we should start seeing it soon.

But I do admit, I think this year has definitely lacked that cheerful feeling, its still there, but in drips and drabs. I actually preferred the pace of the show last year after the revamp, it felt perfect, and there was a strong mix of comedy and seriousness. I'm not giving up on it though, but it definitely has become much more serious, and not in a Neighbours way, (ala 90-94). We'll see...

Archived