Dyslexia

Guest Greenday

Is that how you spell it! lol Yes I am! I try not to tell people tho as sometimes people talk to you differently. But hey, knowones knows me on here so what the hell! The teachers at school found out late for me, I think I was about 14, so I didn't get as much support as I ahould of at school. One of my biggest problems apart from SPAG is getting small things mixed up like 10 past instead of 10 too. Which can be a pain as people look at you funny!

I don't know if I am or I'm not. Sometimes I think I am... I have a habit of reading analogue clocks in reverse sometimes, and I very often write the wrong word or leave words out completely without realising it :huh: And I can edit things a dozen times and still miss really obvious mistakes... When I'm reading, I sometimes get caught in a loop where I get to the end of one line, and instead of going to the next line, I start reading the same line again :huh:. Same thing happens when I'm trying to go into one thread, and I click on the last post - sometimes it's the thread above or under the one I actually want because I can't follow the line properly. I'm generally slow at reading, which I don't think I should be for the amount I read and write... I get distracted from what I'm reading (and writing) very easily and I sometimes have to read things over and over before I understand or remember what it says... even then I have a tendency to miss important details. Um. I don't know if all of this is normal... but I've never been diagnosed with anything. So... I don't know. All I know is it can be really frustrating and annoying.

I don't know,i've never been diagnosed but apart from adding up my concept of maths is almost zero.To me numbers might as well be a different language.

I realize that in most cases it's a english problem but hey i'm unique!

I'm dislexic, and it mostly affects my speeling and words that are simelar, ie. affect/effect, to/too/two, know/no. I spell-check all my posts on here and usually every secend word is spleed wrong. :P

Yeah, that's how bad I am. They look like bad typos, don't they? I found I was dyslexic at an early age, so I've had help but it hasn't changed peoples attitude towards it, and despite what a lot of people think I'm not as stupid as I look, academically anyway. It wasn't easy at first, but people are more indifferent towards me now.

I don't know if I am or I'm not. Sometimes I think I am... I have a habit of reading analogue clocks in reverse sometimes, and I very often write the wrong word or leave words out completely without realising it :huh: And I can edit things a dozen times and still miss really obvious mistakes... When I'm reading, I sometimes get caught in a loop where I get to the end of one line, and instead of going to the next line, I start reading the same line again :huh: . Same thing happens when I'm trying to go into one thread, and I click on the last post - sometimes it's the thread above or under the one I actually want because I can't follow the line properly. I'm generally slow at reading, which I don't think I should be for the amount I read and write... I get distracted from what I'm reading (and writing) very easily and I sometimes have to read things over and over before I understand or remember what it says... even then I have a tendency to miss important details. Um. I don't know if all of this is normal... but I've never been diagnosed with anything. So... I don't know. All I know is it can be really frustrating and annoying.

Oh, it happens to you too? :( I thought it was stress related.

^Stress doesn't help! Forms are the worst. I see a form, and my nervous system shuts down. I had a panic attack in a bank trying to fill out some kind of withdrawal form once... And that was before I'd even written my name :blink:

lol, I'm not good with maths either. I think I learned the times table by memorising it, and because of that I'm not too bad at dividing things when I have to (multiplication in reverse - I can do it, but it takes a while). Addition and subtraction... *shudder.* Anything outside of single digits makes me nervous. This was a conversation that took place on MSN the other night:

Me: How old is David Letterman?

Friend: He was born in 1947

Me: So... 70 something?

Friend: He'll be 61 this year.

And yes, I DID think before I answered! Just not very well :rolleyes: Right now I'm trying to remember if that age is even correct, and I'm still struggling to work it out >.<

After literally counting on my fingers, I think it's right...

It's right...Go by tens....1947,1057,1067,1977,1987,1997,2007.That's how i figure those things out.And i have those conversations regularly,lol.

That's what I ended up doing just now, but I still had to use my fingers to keep track of what I was counting :blush:

Archived