Internet Explorer "Upgrade"

Guest emmasi

Internet Explorer suggested an upgrade. I didn't bother fighting it, so I did the stupid upgrade and now everything is terrible. It's taking so much longer to load things, the toolbar looks like crap, and the worst thing is that I keep getting websites randomly popping up out of nowhere. Not little boxes popping up on the site I actually want to be at, but whole new windows opening up and dragging me along with them whether I like it or not. I have the pop-up blocker on, but that doesn't do a thing. Does anyone know how to fix this, aside from downloading Firefox, which I'm already looking into <_<?

I fixed it. I didn't have a firewall... but I found one, put it up, and now all is relatively well. Thank you all for your help :D

EDIT: Well I was wrong... it's doing it again. Looks more like a virus that has finally broken through my fancy new firewall :(

• 1 month later...

It's a browser hijacker, they are so annoying! keeps changing your home page and popping up windows you don't want. IE is known for it. You have to go into the registry system to find the problem and delete it like I did, but I still couldn't fix it, it kept happening.

Delete it and use firefox.

I'm no computer guru but fortunately I have a son in the industry. I had a similar experience and he put me on to a program called SuperAntispyware which detected the Browser Hijacker and deleted it fronm the Registry and Startup folder. The free version will do that manually. If you pay as I did you can set it to block these programs and it updates automatically and scans your computer on a schedule that you set.

Since I did that I've had no difficulty.

Archived