Isabel Lucas (Tasha) protests whaling in Japan

Guest stuartch

Aussie TV star confronts whale fishermen

October 31, 2007 08:04pm

LOGIE award-winning Australian actor Isabel Lucas has joined a high-profile protest in Japan at the site where thousands of pilot whales are slaughtered every year.

The former Home & Away starlet joined other celebrities and professional surfers to form a floating circle on surf boards offshore near the coastal village of Taiji.

The pre-dawn protest was staged in recent days and it sparked a heated confrontation with local fishermen.

"They (the fishermen) kept revving thir engines and driving towards us," Lucas says in footage released by the protest group to the Australian media.

"We couldn't save these whales, but hopefully shining the light on their deaths will save others."

The fishermen use nets to herd pods of the whales and their calves into a dead-end cove where they are killed for their meat.

Australian professional surfer Dave Rastovich, also part of the protest group, said Japanese fishermen killed more than 25,000 whales and dolphins using this method every year.

"The reason we surfers were there was to share the blood-stained waters at eye-level with our ocean kin awaiting their execution," Rastovich.

"Despite the fishermen taking great pains to hide their acts of cruelty, we seized an opportunity to bring this travesty to the worlds attention."

Also in the protest group Heroes TV star Hayden Panettiere, author Peter Heller, professional surfer Karina Petroni, along with Rastovich's wife, model Hannah Fraser, who is often filmed dressed as a mermaid to highlight the plight of sea creatures.

The protesters were questioned by police but no charges were laid.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22680922-2,00.html

Staying true to character perhaps? Can you imagine Tasha doing something like this?

I saw that on the news. It was pretty horrific.

I don't understand how people are allowed to get away with that, and I don't even particularly like whales... I just think it's cruel and illogical. I mean, if whale meat is that lucrative, shouldn't they be looking into farming sustainable colonies? It's probably just as cruel, but at least it wouldnt risk wiping out countless species for the sake of a delacacy. Even from a cold-hearted business perspective, they're only dooming their own industry.

It's not even just animals that get screwed when people mess with an ecosystem like that. I was watching Foreign Corrospondant on the weekend, and the local people of Tonga, for the most part (so the doco said) are obese and suffering from diabetes because Japanese whalers overfished their territory, and now it's illegal for anyone to whale there (except the Japanese "researchers"........), so the people who have hunted whales responsibly and sustainably for generations now have to rely on imported, low-quality lamb... the stuff that people say you're meant to feed to dogs... how is that fair?

Good on Isabel for standing (or surfing) against this. It must have been horrible to see, and a scary face-off to be a part of.

I saw a pic of Isabel with Hayden on livejournal ohnotheydidnt the other day regarding this and it broke my heart, when i saw the news piece on tv it made me both angry and upset, i broke into tears watching it. It made me sick to my stomach, such beautiful beautiful creatures of the sea.

Archived