Torn Apart

Guest Natasha

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two great chapters. I'm still a bit confused as to if itw as really Laura that's dead or is it Katherine. I loved that you managed to capture Morag's feelings really well.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm just hoping Morag isn't too OTT. I try to stay in character as much as possible.

Here's the next chapter....

--------------------

CHAPTER SIX

Laura slowly opened her eyes and sat up, blinking. The world spun dizzily around her and her head throbbed with pain. She groaned and held her head in her hands for a moment or two. When the pain eased slightly, she looked around her. Her car had slid down an embankment, just short of a tree. It was a miracle it hadn't slammed into it. She started the car but it refused to start. She leaned back and grabbed her mobile phone and dialed Morag's number.

" The number you are trying to reach, is out of range. Please try again later."

Of course. Laura threw her phone back down onto the passenger seat. What good was technology when you couldn't use it? She opened the glove box and took out the Mt. Franklin water bottle and drank from it. She remembered her box of panadol in her bag and downed three tablets. Her eyelids started to get heavy-she was so tired and sore. She let herself drift off to an uneasy sleep.

" Morag?" Alf called through the door but got no answer. Either she was asleep or simply refusing to answer. " We need to call Jacob about his mother. Are you going to do that or should I?" he waited and still got no answer. Sighing, Alf went back into the living room.

" Still no answer?" Sally asked and he shook his head.

" We have to call Jacob." Alf told him, " Peter said he would leave it up to Morag."

" Morag's not going to do it." Sally replied, " She and Jacob never really got along."

" Poor kid. He lost his dad not that long ago, now he's lost his mum." Alf shook his head.

" Why don't you invite him to stay here?" Sally suggested, " It'll be good for him to be around people he knows. Jacob doesn't have any other family does he?"

Alf frowned, " Actually I think he has an uncle. He might rather stay with him. If his uncle's lives in the city. I'm not sure."

Sally listened as Alf made the call.

" You know?" Alf said in surprise, " Who told-I see. Would you like to stay here?"

There was another pause. " Really? I would have thought Morag would be the one-"

" Oh. All right then. What about your uncle?" Alf talked to Jacob a bit longer before hanging up the phone.

" How is he?"

" He sounds like he's coping. His uncle is flying from WA to the city to be with him. Apparently they'll be organizing the funeral." Alf paused, " and here's the worst part-they won't be inviting Morag."

" They won't be what?" a voice demanded and they whirled around. Morag was standing in the doorway, looking a bit worse for wear. Drunk was the word Alf would use.

" Ah, Morag-"

" Who were you talking to Alfred?" Morag demanded.

" Jacob. He already knows about his mother and seems to be coping ok. His uncle Cam is flying to the city from WA to be with him. And-" Alf paused, " they will be organizing the funeral. It will be in the city."

" They'll be organizing it?" Morag's voice rose, " without even consulting me?"

" Morag-"

" Jacob Tate never liked me. He's doing this on purpose." She snatched up the phone and used the redial button.

" There's something else you should know," Alf said quickly.

" Not now Alfred."

Alf shrugged and he and Sally listened as Morag had her argument with Jacob.

" Look Jacob, I know you and I had our differences. But like it or not, she was my partner. I have every right to organize the funeral."

She listened for a bit and her eyes went wide with disbelief,

" What do you mean, I'm not invited?"

Alf winced. Jacob was in a lot of trouble. He should know by now never to make an enemy out of Morag Bellingham!

Poor Morag. No, Morag isn't too OTT. She's just reacting in the way that Morag would act. I think I get it now. The one who's dead is Kath and Laura's still alive somewhere.

I'm loving this plot/storyline. It's really great that we get to see Morag's reaction to things.

:D

A part of me wants Jacob/Morag to get along but a part of me wants to see the friction between them.

• 2 weeks later...

Author's Note: Sorry for the long wait...but I've been busy!. Here's the next update. Thanks to those who have reviewed. Its so encouraging.

~~~~~

Morag argued with Jacob some more. " Your mother would be furious if she knew what you and your uncle were doing."

" She would have want her funeral in the city." Jacob replied hotly, " She hated that town as much as I did."

" I'm coming to that funeral…whether you want me to or not," Morag retorted, " Just tell me when and where."

Jacob sighed and told her reluctantly. He knew not to cross Morag.

" Good." Morag hung up then and headed for the kitchen. She started banging around, trying to find another bottle of whiskey.

" That was uncalled for Morag," Alf told her as he watched her fill another tumbler.

" What are you talking about?"

" Using emotional blackmail on Jacob. That was pretty low. Don't you think the kid is already going through a lot?"

" He's the one creating the problems Alfred." Morag pointed out before storming back upstairs again. He heard the door slam and he sighed.

Jacob turned back to his uncle who was shaking his head. " You bent to her will Jacob."

" I couldn't help it-you just can't cross Morag Bellingham."

" You should have held your ground. Jacob, I never approved of this relationship between your mother and that solicitor."

" Well, neither did I." Jacob admitted, " she and I never got along. When this is all over, she will be out of my life. For good."

Morag woke up feeling tired and disorientated. She's been asleep for ages and didn't know what time or day it was. She rubbed her eyes and stared at the clock blearily. It was eight am…but what day was it? Those pills really knocked her out and to top it off, she had a pounding headache. Whiskey and sleeping tablets were not a good mix, but it helped with the pain. She didn't dream of anything-didn't dream of her. She turned on her mobile and received about five text messages. She deleted them all and glanced at the date. It was the next day-Tuesday. The funeral was for tomorrow. She had wanted it to be for Friday.

I should have been the one to organize it. Morag fumed silently as she went downstairs. No one seemed to be around. Sally would be at school, Ric at work, Alfred-probably fishing.

She searched for another bottle of whiskey. She knew it was in the pantry but it wasn't there. She searched through the other cupboards but it was nowhere in sight. Frustrated, she made herself a cup of strong coffee.

An hour later, Alf came back with breakfast.

" Good morning Morag," Alf greeted her brightly, " Thought you'd might like some breakfast." He handed her the muffins.

" I'm not hungry." Morag replied, pushing them aside.

" You haven't eaten since yesterday morning." Alfred protested " you need to-"

" Save the lecture Alfred." Morag snapped, " What happened to that bottle of whiskey in the pantry? It was there yesterday."

" It's gone."

" What do you mean it's gone?"

" I tipped it down the sink. It's not doing you any good." Alfred put two slices of bread in the toaster, " I'm making some toast-vegemite or strawberry jam?"

" I just told you I wasn't hungry."

" You need to keep your strength up."

" What I need is Laura." Morag answered, " I don't need anyone or nothing else-just her." She then stormed out of the house.

Laura woke up to the bright sun streaming through the window. She glanced at her watch, it was only eight am and it was hot already. She took a slow sip of her water and wondered why no one had found her yet. Then she reminded herself Morag didn't know she was coming down. That she was still safe at home.

I have no choice but to find help. Laura thought. Ahead of her was endless bush. It had to lead to a road.

She grabbed her water and handbag before setting off, into the bush.

Another great chapter, Natasha. Morag's like Rachel at the moment lol. I hope she sobers up to attend the funeral.

Lol, imagine if Laura turned up at her own funeral. That would be funny. I hope someone finds her soon.

Loving the whole tension between Jacob/Morag.

CHAPTER EIGHT

Author's Note: Thanks for your comments guys.

Morag took a walk along the beach-she and Laura had many walks along the beach when they had lived here. They knew a secluded spot, near Stewarts Point they often went to when they wanted to be alone. Morag started walking towards it.

" Morag!" she heard a voice call and she sighed. It was Colleen Smart. The last person she wanted to see.

The woman caught up with her. For a short woman, she could walk awfully fast. " What is it Colleen?"

" We all heard what happened. I'm terribly sorry Morag."

Morag just nodded and kept walking.

" I didn't approve of your relationship at first, but like everyone else, we got used in seeing you with Laura. You two shared something that the rest of us could only imagine. Everyone could see how much you loved Laura and now-"

Morag tried to block what Colleen was saying.

" we are right behind you. If you need to talk, I'm always around."

Unfortunately. Morag thought. She didn't say anything, but kept marching. Colleen eventually got the hint and left. No one else bothered her until she got to the secluded spot.

It was in the afternoon when they went for a walk along the beach. They were at a deserted stretch of beach near Stewarts Point. As the water lapped at their feet, Laura closed her mouth over Morag's….

Morag's eyes blinked open. It wasn't a daydream, but a flashback. She remembered that time very well…and the consequences afterward. Someone had been spying on them while they were having their…private moment. They had sent photos to them, blackmailing Morag. That someone had been the town's mayor Josh West.

Her relationship with Laura definitely had its dramas, but everything calmed down when they stayed away from Summer Bay. Life with Laura had been good. Morag had planned to spend the rest of her life with her.

We weren't meant to be together after all.

The sun was now beating down on her and perspiration dripped down her forehead. She found her sunglasses in her handbag and slipped them on. She rolled up the cuffs of her jeans and wished she had worn cropped pants instead. She could see some rocky terrain coming up and wondered if her flats could hold up. They were only for casual wear.

Laura took her handbag off and slung the strap over her neck so that it was more secure and wouldn't slip off. She was now walking on gravel and it was slippery. She stubbed her toe on one of the small rocks and she cursed.

Laura walked more carefully and came to several boulders and slippery-looking moss. She studied the boulders and found a foothold. She grabbed and hoisted herself up, hanging perilously on. She started climbing, and found herself standing on top of the boulders, looking down. She made it without falling and breaking any bones.

I can do this. She thought hopefully. If it takes me all day, I'll find help. There's bound be to a road soon.

Cameron found his nephew in his room. He was staying with Jacob in his sister's apartment-until the funeral. He was sitting on his bed, crying. The poor lad hadn't cried since he learned about his mother's death.

Jacob wiped his eyes quickly and glared at him, " Don't you knock?" he demanded, looking down at his hands.

" The door was open." He pointed out, " Listen mate, I just got off the phone with your aunt. We've talked it over. We'd like to come back to Perth with me and live with us."

There was a long silence. Then Jacob glanced up at him, his eyes were tired and red. " Live with you? But what about school…and my friends? I've moved twice this year. I can't move again. I am sick of it."

" With your mother gone, you won't have a home to come back to during the school holidays. Morag certainly won't let you stay with her. She will cut all ties from you after the funeral. We have perfectly good boarding schools in Perth and you can make new friends." Cameron paused, remembering what his wife had told him. Don't pressure Jacob. He's going through a lot. If you push him, he'd just rebel and stay put. Be patient.

" Aunt Elizabeth wants me to stay?" Jacob asked.

" And so does your cousins." Cameron had three daughters. Two young ones and one older one, the same age as Jacob.

" How long do I have to pack and stuff?"

" A few days. I can help you if you'd like."

Jacob nodded. He loved the city, he's lived in the city most of his life. But maybe now was the time for a change. To start a new life. He'd miss his best friend Alex and the girl he'd been seeing.

" Ok. I'll come." He said finally.

Archived