Home Truths

Guest Beck

Kate Ritchie, who is fast approaching her 20th year on Home and Away, admits it has not always been easy growing up in public.

But as one of Summer Bay's original foster kids, Sally Fletcher, Ritchie, 28, acknowledges her on-screen life has, at times, mirrored her life off set.

"As a teenager I felt embrassed by Sally. She was such a dag,' Ritchie says. "But that was probably also me stuggling through my own teenage years and a desire to be cool. But I'm happy to say that as I've got older I've become proud of her and the fact is we are very much a part of each other."

Ritchie says she is extremely grateful for the public support that continues to cloak the series particularly the interest gamered from the soaps 2006 conclusion that saw Sally's life in the balance.

"The amount of interest has come as a bit of a shock," Ritchie says. "I have been approached by many people following last year's finale, asking what the outcome is. But I dont' want to spoil it, so I've had to remain tight -lipped."

While this week sees Sally's fight for life continue, Ritchie is happy to discuss life away from thing life northern beaches set she has called home from the age of eight.

Buoyed by 2006 appearances beyond Home & Away - notably, the ABC mini-series Stepfather of the Bride and her vocal workout with It Takes Two - Ritchie hints she may soon be parting company with Sally.

"I'd be lying if I said that I didn't entertain the idea of life beyond Home and Away. But then I also sit back and think I've got the best job in the world. I want to try new things but why would I give something up I love and which allows me so many other great opportunities."

"Last year I was able to get outside the walls of Home and Away. It Takes Two was extremely confronting and scary. But looking back it was one fo the best experiences of my life."

"I got to perform with (country singer) Troy (Cassar-Daley), who also allowed me to sing with him on stage at a Tamworth pub. He held my hand druing the whole experience."

"I was really worried and thought accepting the invitation to participate would be silly."

"Ultimately I took so much away from it. Life is about challenges"

Richard Clume

Sunday TV Guide

Sunday Herald Sun

21st January 2007

Thanks Beck.

I wonder if the writers subconsciously made Kate Ritchie go through a hard time being a teen off-screen - like adding to it, as Sally was always written as a bit of a loner, crying and depressed about being a 'looser' and hating herself…makes you think, it has to have rubbed off on her personally. Still, I think that has made her one of the most realistic characters the show has ever had.

"I'd be lying if I said that I didn't entertain the idea of life beyond Home and Away. But then I also sit back and think I've got the best job in the world. I want to try new things but why would I give something up I love and which allows me so many other great opportunities."

That sounds promising. :)

Thanks for the article.

That sounds promising. :)

I agree.

Thanks for posting Beck :)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived