Soapie star sets example

Guest Andy

Soapie star sets example - ASTHMA WEEK: A SPECIAL ADVERTISING REPORT

Daily Telegraph

1 September 2006

ANYONE can suffer from asthma. Just because you're a celebrity doesn't mean you're immune to coping with the burden of living with a painful condition.

It's a burden Home and Away star Mark Furze knows all too well.

Diagnosed with asthma as a young child, the star explains how his severe asthma led to many visits to the hospital and having to rely on his mum to stay up with him most nights:

"When I was younger, I was always in school musicals, then I started singing lessons in Year 12. After school, I came to Sydney for Home and Away. I'm also in a band now.

"Originally, I auditioned as a guitarist, but they didn't have a singer so I'm giving that a crack now too.

"Most people take breathing for granted, but when you suffer from asthma, you realise how precious breath is."

Since childhood, Mark has managed his asthma in a number of ways: "I used an inhaler at school and now I take seretide once a day, every day.

"I'm in good health now," said Mark.

The sporty star doesn't shy away from exercise just because of his asthma: "I continue to do sport as asthma doesn't have to effect you as long as you don't overexert yourself."

Mark's message to all sufferers is that as far as asthma goes "I am never going to be cured but I make the most of my situation.

" It doesn't have to stop you from doing what you love. You work with it, not against it."

Archived