Home & Away’s new couple, Pt 1

Guest Nathan

NOTE: The following interview was transcribed (word for word :L) from August 2006 Creme magazine, pages 24 and 25.

Rhys Wakefield plays one of our favourite characters on Home and Away – sweet and sensitive Lucas Holden. Rhys has also been involved in one of the cutest love stories in Summer Bay; falling in love with the gorgeous Matilda, played by Indiana Evans. So, when we heard a rumour that the couple was actually dating in real life, we had to find out the truth! Stephanie spoke to Rhys about life, Lucas and love, and found out that sometimes you can believe the rumours!

HOW DID YOU GET YOUR PART ON HOME AND AWAY?

I signed up to an agency and they gave me the audition, they gave me the script, and I went for the audition and it went ok…and then it was ages later I got a call back, and then ages later again I found out I got the role. It was so prolonged though, it was insanely prolonged!

HOW DID YOU FEEL WHEN YOU FOUND OUT THAT YOU’D GOT THE PART?

A little overwhelmed, it was so unexpected. Surprised really. I wasn’t really thinking too much about it, like if I got it, if I didn’t, because so many things come along and you never get them, you know? So it was in the back of my mind. But yeah, when I found out, I don’t even know what I said, I think I was speechless. It was a little overwhelming! [Laughs]

DID YOU WATCH THE SHOW BEFORE YOU WERE ON IT?

I did a bit. When I was younger I used to watch it but then kind of phased out. So I was familiar with it, but I wasn’t a huge fan of the show before I started.

WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST DAY ON SET LIKE?

First day was with Robbie, Martha, Beth, Tony, Jack and Tasha. So I recognised a few of them. It was a little overwhelming, very daunting going into the first day. And it was freezing cold, it was the middle of winter and they were wetting us down because we were supposed to have come out of the surg…urgh! It was a funny day. It was actually a year ago today, that day. So I’ve been on the show a year now.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

Thank you! [Laughs]

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF LUCAS?

I think he’s an intelligent character when it comes to academic things, but he’s not the best at expressing his emotions and his feelings. He doesn’t really know how and what to convey to other people. But I think he’s a nice guy. He’s an average teen in some respects, but not so average in many others. [Laughs]

DO YOU THINK YOU’RE ANYTHING LIKE HIM?

There are a few similarities. I think sometimes I’m a little more communicative than Lucas. And also, Lucas, the woman he’s living with, her name is Beth, she’s like a mother figure in his life and my mum’s name is Beth, short for Elizabeth. And my brother’s name is Luke, which is a strange coincidence! I think personality-wise, there are some similarities but nothing too substantial.

YOU’VE GOT A HUGE FOLLOWING HERE, LOTS OF GIRLS LOVE YOU! HOW DOES THAT FEEL?

[Laughs] It’s pretty weird, considering I’ve never been to New Zealand! I would love to come over there. But yeah, that is very weird. I don’t really know how to take it! It’s cool!

WHAT’S BEEN YOUR FAVOURITE STORYLINE SO FAR?

The most fun storyline was the play, where Lucas and Matilda’s first kiss eventuated and that was quite cool because it was just young and innocent and simple, but nice. But some of the stuff I’ve been doing recently, Lucas kind of goes off the rails and that was really fun to film because it forced me to push out some raw emotions other than his light-hearted character, which is what he initially started as.

GOING BACK TO THAT FIRST KISS…WHAT’S THAT LIKE TO FILM?

Oh my god! I cannot think of anything more nerve wracking that I’ve had to do in my life! It was so scary! Indiana, it was her first kiss as well and it was really scary. I think she spoke to the director beforehand and she asked would it be possible that everyone leave the area so it was just the bare minimum of the crew and that was so good, the director was really supportive of that and so it was only really me, Indie, the cameramen and the director. I think some of the cast snuck a peek though [laughs]. But it was good, it went really well in the end, but goodness, I was so nervous before. Chewing some mints before! But it’s a weird concept, very weird.

NOW, OBVIOUSLY I HAD TO ASK THIS QUESTION…WE HEARD A RUMOUR THAT YOU AND INDIANA ARE ACTUALLY DATING IN REAL LIFE! IS THAT TRUE?

Yeah, it is true. [Laughs] We are.

THAT’S SO COOL!

Yeah, yeah. It’s good. It makes kissing scenes not as nerve wracking anymore!

DOES IT MAKE IT EASIER OR HARDER TO ACT TOGETHER NOW?

I think it makes it a lot easier really. Doing break up scenes, which is what kind of happened as soon as we got together, we were breaking up on screen, was a bit weird. Having to shout at her, and also Lucas kisses another girl and Indiana was in the scene, so she had to watch me kiss another girl! So it’s a little weird, but it’s cool, really cool. But yeah, kissing scenes? Much easier!

DO YOU THINK INDIANA IS LIKE HER CHARACTER?

Not really. She’s always kind of complaining about how silly Matilda can be. So I don’t think so. There are a few similarities I would say, but overall I think she’s a little classier than Matilda. [Laughs]

DO YOU GET RECOGNISED A LOT NOW?

It varies, depending on where and when you go out. Sometimes it can be really there and other times it can be non-existent.

IS IT WEIRD WHEN YOU GET RECOGNISED?

It’s SO weird. I don’t think it’s something that you’ll ever get used to. It’s very, very strange. At first it was bizarre because people would call out your name and you’d think that you knew them, and be like, ‘where do I know these people from?’ Yeah, it’s weird!

WHAT DO YOUR FRIENDS THINK ABOUT IT?

Most of them are really supportive and usually when we go out they’re looking out for me. If they see someone turn their head, they’re like, ‘ok, let’s keep walking this way’. And nothing’s really changed with the whole friends thing, which is really good. That was my biggest fear, if I changed or if they changed, but no, they’re really supportive.

WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS FOR THE FUTURE?

I’m hoping to go, I haven’t decided, but maybe either over to the UK or to LA. I’ll be on Home and Away for around two more years. They could extend it. So yeah, it’s still a while to go, but I’m hoping afterwards to go overseas and try my luck there really. Movies would be awesome or some international TV show would be cool.

FINALLY, CAN YOU DESCRIBE YOURSELF IN THREE WORDS?

Oh my god! Myself in three words? Hmmm…quirky, lame…I don’t know…err…umm…occasionally a bit funny? I don’t know, that’s a hard one!

RHYS’ FAVES:

Fave TV show: We Can Be Heroes

Fave movie: It changes all the time…The Count of Monte Cristo – the newer version of that.

Fave band: Panic at the Disco!

Fave song: Blowing up the Pokies by the Whitlams

Fave place in the world: Thailand. I went there once and I loved it. I’m going there again at the end of the year actually.

Fave person: My mum!

Fave thing to do on a Sunday afternoon: If it’s summer I usually go to the beach and just chill out, grab some food and hang out with my friends. If it’s winter, have some friends over or go to a friend’s place, a barbecue, just cruisey, relaxing stuff.

Fave character on Home and Away: Colleen, definitely! She’s just ridiculously hilarious! Do you know how hard it is doing scenes with her, just because she’s so funny sometimes? She’s nothing like her character in real life. [Laughs] Which is amazing, I thought she’d be like a carbon copy of her character, but she couldn’t be further from it. Which makes it even funnier because she clicks into this insane role and this crazy woman. She’s good!

Celeb crush: Rachel Bilson

Fave smell: You know when you pop those party popper things and they’ve got that gunpowder smell? I really like that smell. [Laughs]

Fave sound: The ocean breaking.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived