Fed: Soap star Mark Furze hits top note

Guest Andy

Fed: Soap star Mark Furze hits top note

AAP

28 May 2006

TWO MELBOURNE, May 28 AAP - It was a case of save the best till last for soapie star Mark Furze on Seven's new variety show It Takes Two tonight.

He signed, sealed and delivered the top score of 30, coupled with Hey Dad and musical theatre star Rachael Beck.

But the youngest of the contestants admitted after the show that being first isn't always best.

"Maybe we peaked too early," Furze said.

"I might have to do something next week so I'm the underdog."

Furze, who plays Rick on Home and Away, said he was glad round one was over.

"I was extremely nervous before we started," he said.

"Last out was horrible, I know I said I didn't want to be first but last was a bad idea."

Furze was among 10 non-singing celebrities including model Kate Fischer, cricketer Michael Bevan and soap actress Judy Nunn, who teamed up with some of Australia's best known singers for the program.

Earlier this week punters had odds on model Erika Heynatz to take out the title, however judges Marina Prior, James Valentine, Amanda Pelman and Ross Wilson put her in fourth place tonight.

Journalist Richard Zachariah and former Young Talent Time star Karen Knowles scored lowest with 16.

A Seven spokesman said the network hoped tonight's show would attract 1.8 million viewers.

However, Seven won't know its newest program's success until official ratings results are revealed tomorrow.

Next week the competitors will tackle rock, with Furze hinting at a Guns And Roses or Jon Bon Jovi tune.

How is Kate Ritchie doing?

She's doing really well, even if she is a bit nervous. She never lost that famous twinkle in her eye which she's renowned for, and a gorgeous smile. They had a great montage of her time on Home and Away, and the person they have paired her with is Troy Casser-Daley, a country and western singer.

Archived