Hewitt School Rises

Guest Becstar

Hewitt school rises

February 15, 2006

Charity project ... the school house of the Cambodian orphanage has just been completed / Image supplied THIS is the first picture of the Cambodian orphanage that Lleyton and Bec Hewitt have helped build with their hard-earned cash from media deals.

We thought we might never see it but the much-vaunted charity project, backed by the tennis brat and his former soapie star wife, is off the ground.

Not that the Hewitts have exactly bankrolled the whole thing - in fact they've contributed less than 2 per cent of the more than $1.625 million they picked up in magazine deals for their engagement, wedding and birth of baby Mia.

That's despite originally saying they would give the orphanage the more than $200,000 they got for their engagement story on Channel 7's Today Tonight and their wedding story in New Idea.

Instead, only the $41,000 Bec won on Dancing With The Stars - which was compulsory charity cash - and $29,000 has gone towards the Cambodian kids.

But the AIDS Trust Of Australia, which is building the orphanage, has given the Hewitts their full backing.

"They've put in about $70,000 ... it's all been paid very properly," AIDS Trust chief Terrence Trethowan said yesterday.

The building pictured - a school house - has just been completed and work has started on eight accommodation blocks.

"While the orphanage is being built all the kids are being well fed, have school uniforms and brand new bikes," Mr Trethowan said.

The Hewitts are patrons of the orphanage being built in the northwest Cambodian town of Battambang near the Thai border.

Thanks for the article.

I really think they have sold out in the worst possible way. They will already have more money than they could already need and then for them to get over $1.625 million from magazine deals just to add to their money pile rather than give it to charity is disgusting. Its greed of the worst possible kind.

Okay, i think things are getting a little out of hand here with the *bashing* of Lleyton and Bec. Yes, they do have a lot of money. Yes, they do have a magazine deal about their daughter Mia.

But, just think about this a different way. It's their choice. If they didn't have a magazine deal about Mia - not that i am condoning this - then they would be hounded by Paparazzi for pictures. As it is, while they are making money, they are also remaining in control of their lives. This way they still give the public what they want, prevent being hounded by having a clause in the contract which says pictures and exclusives can only go to one magazine.

As for the charity, and the cr*p they're getting for that. They don't have to give anything. They could have spent the money on a jacuzzi, but they didn't.

They're not martyrs, they just want to give a little back, and everyone is accusing them of selling out. (This isn't directed at just Bungle)

xxx

This has been my point for some time. I don't know either Lleyton or Bec personally so I am neither for or against them. However both of them are in industries where they generate their income by attracting publicity. Lleyton by sponsorship, tournament earnings, publicity etc, and Bec by acting parts, which she has chosen not to do at the moment to look after Mia, and publicity. Yes they earn good livings but that is how they do it. Why is that suddenly unacceptable?

As for the immoderate use of langauge such as "pimping their daughter" and "media whoring" in posts you have to wonder just who are the attention seekers.

Okay, i think things are getting a little out of hand here with the *bashing* of Lleyton and Bec. Yes, they do have a lot of money. Yes, they do have a magazine deal about their daughter Mia.

But, just think about this a different way. It's their choice. If they didn't have a magazine deal about Mia - not that i am condoning this - then they would be hounded by Paparazzi for pictures. As it is, while they are making money, they are also remaining in control of their lives. This way they still give the public what they want, prevent being hounded by having a clause in the contract which says pictures and exclusives can only go to one magazine.

As for the charity, and the cr*p they're getting for that. They don't have to give anything. They could have spent the money on a jacuzzi, but they didn't.

They're not martyrs, they just want to give a little back, and everyone is accusing them of selling out. (This isn't directed at just Bungle)

xxx

Great post Guevara01. I agree.

Like John I am neither for nor against them, but this incessant rubbish.... most of it we find out to be based on lies and innuendo, and a lot of it rooted in other peoples hang ups......... is getting quite out of hand.

Another thing getting out of hand is suggestions people are jelous becourse we don't like them.We have every right not to like them,stop saying we don't it's pissing me off majorly.

Having said that i think i agree with the Lleyton lovers here,they didn't have to give anything yet did,though i think everyone was under the impression it would be a lot more then what Bec HAD to give for being on dwts.

Just because you don't like them - does not mean you should continually rubbish them. You need to remember that many charities survive on what celebrities donate. Posh and Becks also love the media attention but they give millions to charity. You are only driven by what you read in the media - which most is not true.

I don't know if it's a jealousy issue or not but if your getting annoyed at it then I suggest you might be!

Archived