Alf

Guest Ashirr-Leigh

like the idea of Jesse being the driver, but it would have made much more sense if it had happened a few months ago, as the culmination of the 'Jesse goes nuts' storyline.

When I read that Jesse went to jail, I thought it was because of his reckless behaviour before. It seems silly that he was acting stupidly, then tirned himself around, then went back again.

But I suppose Jesse had convinced himself that Chloe liked him too so to be let down like that might have tipped him over the edge.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was probably also shock. It had runied his birthday and also he'd been celebrating and was happy and then a few minutes/hours later his friend was dead. he was probably just shocked as Jesse was not someone he'd thought of that could have caused the crash. Once he'd calmed down, he would probably have confronted him a bit less harsh.

I had several problems with the whole of this story. Firstly, like Ashirr has said, my first problem is that Alf and Chloe weren't that close. Secondly, Alf and Jesse have been good friends for years, and for Alf to react the way he did didn't seem necessary. It's as if DB hadn't grasped the whole Alf/Jesse relationship at all.

I can understand Alf saying "I hope you rot in hell." But to say that *and* "I hope you hear that little girls voice crying for her mum everytime you go to sleep" (or something like it) was OTT and not needed at all. If it had been Troy, a complete stranger to Alf, then yes, I'd say he'd have every right to say all of those things. But to say it to someone who you've known for seven years, who's explained the cercumstances of the accident and you can see how sorry they are, was just wrong.

If it had been Irene, then that would've been different, but from Alf, it just didn't seem right.

What's worse is Jesse getting smashed in the first place. Old Jesse (pre-2005) wouldn't have done that, considering he'd got his life back on track. Having pitty parties 'cause his pride had been hurt, was very un-Jesse like.

Yeah, I was thinking the same.

Of course Alf had every right to be angry but he just took it too far. If Jesse had shown no remorse and had tried to do a runner etc.. then yeah, ok.. but he didn't mean it, he apologised, he handed himself in.

Alf's not the only one suffering, Jesse clearly is too.

And yeah, were Chloe and Alf that close back when she was first in it? If they weren't, his reaction seems even more exaggerated.

Chloe's death and aftermath have all been great. But none of it is believable having watched these characters over the years. Alf shouldn't have treated Jesse like that, but Irene should. Sally shouldn't have rushed to the police so quickly after reading Jesse'e note. Yes, she would have gone evntually, but she'd have thought about it for a while first. Jesse wouldn't have got that drunk in the first place just because someone knocked him back. And soon we will see Diana use Irene's past (having her own kids taken away from her - FALSE - they left of their own accord) to get custody. But Irene won't retaliate by mentioning that in 1999 Diana went insane. Everyone will conveniently forget that. For the sake of drama.

Character betrayal and relationship assassination to make way for drama has been the basis of 2005 season. It's good to watch, but try and analyse it for a moment and you'll see none of it makes sense anymore. As this thread has proved.

Of course it was Jesse's fault, it's just the fact that it seemed very out of character for Alf to treat him like that.

I know exactly what you mean, ste. I mean, sure, all this stuff is great to watch but when they change the characters for the sake of drama, it's annoying. Maybe they're hoping that people won't remember Home and Away from so long ago. I don't know. But if they wanted to make it look like Alf and Chloe were close (even if they hadn't been in the past) they should have made more of an effort to make that obvious when she came back. I hardly saw them in any scenes together!

Archived