Home And Away on RTE

Guest alicepearlpilot

Since 1989 RTE has been at least a few months ahead of UK screenings of the show. In fact at one point they were even ahead of Australia by one day for a few weeks!

When ITV stopped showing H&A the gap increased still further and RTE developed the habit of taking the show off regularly at Easter, Christmas, for sport and for the entire month of August.

Due to C5's relentless transmission 5 times a week 52 weeks a year, the gap started to close again and about 2 months ago, for the first time ever, the UK received an edition of H&A 2 days before Ireland.

This remains the situation at the moment thought I prefer to stick with RTE screenings to ensure no edits etc.

I doubt RTE will ever be in front again and as sporting events occur throughout 2006 I expect the gap to widen in C5's favour. I would expect that as they get further behind the audience will fall accordingly as many Irish can get C5 and could switch to C% transmissions.

Maybe its time for a few 1hr specials to put RTE ahead again?

RTE has a special agreeemnt with the BBC that they show Neighbours on the same day therefore if BBC takes a break,  RTE are compelled to take the same break. This also applies to Corrie, Eastenders and Emmerdale screenings on RTE/TV3.

Hope this all makes sense and was of interest!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very informative and interesting, Martin!

I know that RTE don't use the BBC versions of Neighbours, because the full end-credits are shown. I assume they purchase the show directly from the distributors (Fremantle or whoever) and not from/via the BBC.

I didn't realise they had an agreement with the UK networks to play certain shows on the same days, but I can see why. It would be no good having a landmark episode of Corrie going out in Ireland before it had been shown in the UK. So if ITV had to drop an episode of Emmerdale or Corrie at the last minute (or delay it to later in the evening), would RTE be obliged to do the same? I assume they have their own tapes of these shows, and don't just take a feed from ITV.

Sorry for dragging this thread totally off-topic, but Martin's post above has led me to don my faithful old anorak again!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't realise they had an agreement with the UK networks to play certain shows on the same days, but I can see why.  It would be no good having a landmark episode of Corrie going out in Ireland before it had been shown in the UK.  So if ITV had to drop an episode of Emmerdale or Corrie at the last minute (or delay it to later in the evening), would RTE be obliged to do the same?  I assume they have their own tapes of these shows, and don't just take a feed from ITV.

I would imagine that the show is bought in direct but with that agreement. With Neighbours they'll also buy it in, but the agreement with the BBC will be separate.

Yep...We get the full theme at the end. And now we get the "Neighbours" logo popping up on screen just before RTE go to the break. I just hate that we don't get the closing Credits ar Primetime because it goes right back to studio with Aidan.

Since 1989 RTE has been at least a few months ahead of UK screenings of the show. In fact at one point they were even ahead of Australia by one day for a few weeks!

When ITV stopped showing H&A the gap increased still further and RTE developed the habit of taking the show off regularly at Easter, Christmas, for sport and for the entire month of August.

Due to C5's relentless transmission 5 times a week 52 weeks a year, the gap started to close again and about 2 months ago, for the first time ever, the UK received an edition of H&A 2 days before Ireland.

This remains the situation at the moment thought I prefer to stick with RTE screenings to ensure no edits etc.

I doubt RTE will ever be in front again and as sporting events occur throughout 2006 I expect the gap to widen in C5's favour. I would expect that as they get further behind the audience will fall accordingly as many Irish can get C5 and could switch to C% transmissions.

Maybe its time for a few 1hr specials to put RTE ahead again?

RTE has a special agreeemnt with the BBC that they show Neighbours on the same day therefore if BBC takes a break,  RTE are compelled to take the same break. This also applies to Corrie, Eastenders and Emmerdale screenings on RTE/TV3.

Hope this all makes sense and was of interest!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very informative and interesting, Martin!

I know that RTE don't use the BBC versions of Neighbours, because the full end-credits are shown. I assume they purchase the show directly from the distributors (Fremantle or whoever) and not from/via the BBC.

I didn't realise they had an agreement with the UK networks to play certain shows on the same days, but I can see why. It would be no good having a landmark episode of Corrie going out in Ireland before it had been shown in the UK. So if ITV had to drop an episode of Emmerdale or Corrie at the last minute (or delay it to later in the evening), would RTE be obliged to do the same? I assume they have their own tapes of these shows, and don't just take a feed from ITV.

Sorry for dragging this thread totally off-topic, but Martin's post above has led me to don my faithful old anorak again!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it is actually tv3 that shows corrie and emmerdale but yes they have to have it on at the same time so if ITV shows it at 10 then so does tv3 athought sometimes tv3 gets it a few minutes before itv if they are running late

rte shows estenders athought sometimes the first part of estenders is on before bbc if they are running late by a few moments

Yep...We get the full theme at the end. And now we get the "Neighbours" logo popping up on screen just before RTE go to the break. I just hate that we don't get the closing Credits ar Primetime because it goes right back to studio with Aidan.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Isn't he the most annoying presenter ever? I used to hate Laura Woods, but this guy is even worse.

So if ITV had to drop an episode of Emmerdale or Corrie at the last minute (or delay it to later in the evening), would RTE be obliged to do the same? I assume they have their own tapes of these shows, and don't just take a feed from ITV.

On occasion, such as when sport delays braodcast, RTE/TV3 make an effort to schedule the show for the same time as on ITV/BBC. However if sport runs on and it is not shown at the scheduled time in the UK, then Ireland carries on with their scheduled transmission (except if they are showing the sport too!)

This has meant that on rare occasions Emmerdale or Corrie has been on in Ireland a day before the same episode was shown in the UK.

On most days TV3 is normally a few mins ahead with Emmerdale and Corrie anyhow. It's quite handy sometimes as if you start watching it on ITV you can sometimes switch to TV3 at the commercial break and get a shorter break or no break at all!

RTE repeat Neighbours the morning after the evening transmission so it is handy to catch a repeat if you missed the evening on. The morning transmission shows full end credits however when the evening episodes of Neighbours and H&A are shown as part of the TTV (youth strand) slot the end titles are cut off to fit in continuity announcements, competitions, interviews and the like. TTV is on October - June normally so in the summer and at holiday times (this week for example) the end credits are shown.

So if you are looking for complete episodes its the morning repeat for Neighbours and the lunchtime screening for H&A.

Oh and thanks for the complements Si-Co, a Happy New Year to you and everyone else!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Isn't he the most annoying presenter ever? I used to hate Laura Woods, but this guy is even worse.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hate him lol..And the tight clothes he wears are just daft and camp :ph34r:

Yeah, I saw him one day as a guest on the Afternoon Show and he was just as camp and up his own backside on that.

I wish they'd get rid of that link stuff anyway... people aren't tuning in to see what crap Aidan is going to talk about .. they just want to watch Neighbours, The Simpsons and Home and Away. What does ID even stand for?

Archived