Carpet Crashers

Guest Dan F

Carpet crashers

By Kate Meikle

August 01, 2005

HE stars as a smooth-talking Texan love God in his latest film, Wedding Crashers but picking up at weddings in real life hasn't proved as easy for Owen Wilson.

The Hollywood heartthrob hit the red carpet for the film's premiere in Sydney yesterday and admitted he'd never actually wooed anyone at a wedding.

"The last wedding I went to was Ben Stiller's about five years ago and I had a girlfriend at the time and she came along," he said.

Hundreds of fans lined the red carpet at Bondi Junction in east Sydney yesterday to catch a glimpse of Wilson and his Australian co-star Isla Fisher.

Wilson and Vince Vaughan star as divorce mediators who gatecrash weddings to meet women in the film - with Fisher playing Vaughan's deranged love target.

It was a long way from Summer Bay for Fisher, who wowed the crowd in a stunning silver Collette Dinnigan creation while signing autographs and posing for photos with fans.

Fisher, who is engaged to UK comedian Sacha Baron Cohen - better known as Ali G - said it had taken a lot of hard work to break into the Hollywood scene.

"I got rejected a lot and it takes a while to get your lucky break," she said.

Home & Away star Kate Richie was on hand to congratulate her former work pal, with the two sharing a warm embrace on the red carpet.

"We're so proud of her," Richie said.

"I can't wait to get in there and see her name on the screen. She's a gorgeous girl."

The trip Down Under is Wilson's second sojourn this year, with the Hollywood hottie admitting he was glad to be back so soon.

And the star of films including The Royal Tenenbaums , Shanghai Nights and The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou had some encouraging news for our local ladies.

"The Australian girls are really pretty, there's no getting around that," the eligible bachelor confessed.

Wedding Crashers opens around Australia on August 11.

0,10114,5032578,00.jpg

0,10114,5032590,00.jpg

0,10114,5032589,00.jpg

0,10114,5032583,00.jpg

0,10114,5032581,00.jpg

I love the fact that Isla's made it so big, but hasn't forgotten about her friends still performing in Home and Away! I hope she has a long and successful career!

And don't Izzy and Chris make a cute couple?

All together now... "Awwwww...!"

Archived