Tammin in tune

Guest Andy

Tammin in tune

Sunday Herald Sun

15 May 2005

Former Home and Away actor Tammin Sursok's first album Whatever Will Be is aptly named, because, she says, that's exactly how she lives her life

Did you always want to be an entertainer?

I grew up knowing I wanted to be in the entertainment industry. I have been singing, dancing, acting and working in theatre for a few years now. I knew from when I was young that it's what I wanted. My mum has been in the industry so I've grown up around music.

Why start with acting rather than singing?

That's just how it fell into place. I was offered a singing contract in the UK when I was 17, but I knew I wasn't ready at the time . . . I didn't know what I wanted to do musically, but I felt I needed to wait. So, I took up the role on Home and Away as Dani Sutherland. When Sony approached me to do an album two years ago, I knew I was ready. After five years on Home and Away I felt I had changed, developed and grown into my character as much as possible.

Do you miss Home and Away?

It was hard to say goodbye to everyone involved with the show -- not just the cast, but also those working behind the scenes. They became my second family, so I do miss them.

What have been the highlights of your career?

In terms of acting, winning the Logie for Best New Female Talent in 2001 was definitely the high point. For singing, the highlight has been signing the contract with Sony and then going overseas to produce Whatever Will Be.

What was it like recording the album?

I've done a lot of growing up during the production . . . and you can see that through my songs and lyrics. We recorded in Stockholm, which was a great experience, but travelling became very tiring.

What are your plans?

I hope that in acting I can get a lot of good character-based roles. The best thing about acting is being able to completely change yourself to take on different personalities . . . With my music, I plan to do a lot more writing and work further on some tracks I have already written. At the moment I am juggling both music and acting. I'm (doing a) movie in Queensland called Aquamarine, starring JoJo and Sara Paxton from Summerland.

Where do you draw inspiration from when writing music?

When I'm feeling down. There are many hard times in life, but, for me, they can be the best times to write. I'm also inspired by things I see in everyday life or in movies and on TV.

Do you play any musical instruments?

I've been learning the guitar for a couple of years and I hope to play on my next album. I've also recently bought a piano.

What kind of music do you like?

I admire Tori Amos and Alanis Morissette. They are really strong women and this shows clearly through their lyrics. I also like their style of music, the real guitar-based songs, and that's what I hope to do more of. I also like Michelle Branch and Vanessa Carlton.

Do you have any quirky habits?

Every time I kiss someone I have to do it four times. It's a weird habit, but if I don't do it, it just doesn't feel right. Also, whenever I fly, I look at the safety instruction booklet, front, back and inside. I don't really read it, but I think I'd still know what to do in an emergency.

Any advice for someone trying to break into the entertainment industry?

Continue working at it. Even if you get knocked back 100 times before you are discovered, there's always a path out there for you. Just keep trying.

Whatever Will Be is out next Sunday.

Archived