Steven and Selina 1996 - Cut Scenes??

Arriva

Hi all,

I am new here and just had a few questions about this.

I have started rewatching old episodes from 1996. I am not sure whether the episodes are heavily cut, but there seems to be an allusion to Steven and Selina getting together at some point around the time of Shane's funeral. There also seems to be an allusion towards them having kissed a few episodes beforehand in the classroom although the episodes I have seen only show them gazing at each other . Were we meant to think that there were developments off screen which the viewers just didn't see? Or were there actually scenes shown in Australia which were specifically cut out of the episodes shown to UK viewers? The ones I am watching would have been the version shown on ITV.

Also, in my vague memories of the show around then ( I was quite young in 1996!) Steven and Selina was a fairly massive storyline, at the time, culminating in a sunset ending in England a few years later. Does anyone else find it odd that they weren't included in any of the DVDs regarding weddings/romances etc, or even in the snapshots of H and A's best bits on Alf's 60th birthday?  They were certainly one of the more memorable couplings around that time, from my recollection.

Hi @Arriva.  I wish I could help more but I'm not sure of all of the answers to your questions.  I'll try my best. 

I'm based in the UK and have only seen some of the UK episodes at the time so I can't answer for sure about the Australian episodes.  I vaguely remember somewhere at the time though that scenes were cut from the UK episodes.

In Episode 2216, Selina has fallen asleep when watching a movie with Jesse.  She dreams of kissing Steven on the same sofa. She is rather dazed when Jesse wakes her up.  I don't remember the scene in the UK.  It might be that I never saw it or it was cut.

It's a shame that they're not mentioned on the romance DVDs.  I just always thought there weren't more fans out there.  It was a nice surprise a few years ago to find out I wasn't the only Steven and Selina fan.

Thanks so much for your reply Chair!

I was actually talking about the scenes when they first got together around about episode 1871 to 1878, when he was still teaching. I'm guessing there must be some cut scenes, as what is shown from the itv clips wouldn't have been enough to have Steven fired.

That's interesting regarding the later scenes when Steven returns in 1997, though.  I haven't seen those either. Would love to see some of these old episodes!

I think there are quite a few Steven and Selina fans out there. Recall that they had quite a cult following back in the day. 

I would love it if they made a return visit now. Am I right that the last we heard they were still together?

Chloe reported they were working things out.  I hope they are still together.

The episodes 1871 - 1878 are unfortunately not available.  I do remember from 1996 when Steven and Selina came out of her bedroom.  Steven typed a letter of resignation on his printer. After he had printed it Selina ripped it up.  She told Steven that they could wait until she had finished school to be together.

For many years I hadn't realised the actual reasons Steven finished it with Selina.  I never dreamt that my dreams would come true at the time and Steven would return for Selina one day.  I was going through a hard part of my life at that time in 1997 and it really helped me get through that rough patch.

On November 16, 2017 at 05:35, Arriva said:

Hi all,

I am new here and just had a few questions about this.

I have started rewatching old episodes from 1996. I am not sure whether the episodes are heavily cut, but there seems to be an allusion to Steven and Selina getting together at some point around the time of Shane's funeral. There also seems to be an allusion towards them having kissed a few episodes beforehand in the classroom although the episodes I have seen only show them gazing at each other . Were we meant to think that there were developments off screen which the viewers just didn't see? Or were there actually scenes shown in Australia which were specifically cut out of the episodes shown to UK viewers? The ones I am watching would have been the version shown on ITV.

Also, in my vague memories of the show around then ( I was quite young in 1996!) Steven and Selina was a fairly massive storyline, at the time, culminating in a sunset ending in England a few years later. Does anyone else find it odd that they weren't included in any of the DVDs regarding weddings/romances etc, or even in the snapshots of H and A's best bits on Alf's 60th birthday?  They were certainly one of the more memorable couplings around that time, from my recollection.

Welcome! ?

On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 23:15, chair said:

Chloe reported they were working things out.  I hope they are still together.

The episodes 1871 - 1878 are unfortunately not available.  I do remember from 1996 when Steven and Selina came out of her bedroom.  Steven typed a letter of resignation on his printer. After he had printed it Selina ripped it up.  She told Steven that they could wait until she had finished school to be together.

For many years I hadn't realised the actual reasons Steven finished it with Selina.  I never dreamt that my dreams would come true at the time and Steven would return for Selina one day.  I was going through a hard part of my life at that time in 1997 and it really helped me get through that rough patch.

Yes, hopefully that is the case. Maybe we could hope for a return for the 30th anniversary. I do recall that they briefly mentioned in one episode that Steven had married someone else. That seemed utterly pointless, having gone to the trouble of reuniting them in a London episode! Does anyone know which episode it was where Chloe commented that they were back together?

It's a shame that 1871 - 1878 aren't available. I would love to see some of those old episodes!   

Regarding the classroom scene, there wasn't a kiss shown in the Australian version of the episode either, it was just heavily implied in dialogue afterwards. All we saw was them holding hands and Selina putting her hand on Steven's shoulder. However the original synopsis for the episode did explicitly state "Steven and Selina steal a kiss in the classroom" - so whether it was intended to be shown during the initial writing process, and was later cut from the final episode before broadcast in Oz, is anyone's guess.

1 hour ago, chair said:

Chloe returned in Episode 3989 and it was probably that same episode she told Jesse that Steven and Selina were working things out. I can't completely guarantee it though. 

The mention came in Episode 3990 :wink:

3 hours ago, Dan F said:

Regarding the classroom scene, there wasn't a kiss shown in the Australian version of the episode either, it was just heavily implied in dialogue afterwards. All we saw was them holding hands and Selina putting her hand on Steven's shoulder. However the original synopsis for the episode did explicitly state "Steven and Selina steal a kiss in the classroom" - so whether it was intended to be shown during the initial writing process, and was later cut from the final episode before broadcast in Oz, is anyone's guess.

The mention came in Episode 3990 :wink:

Thanks very much Dan!

Even the hand holding was cut from the UK version!!

So did they spend the night together the same night they found out that Shane had died, then? Again in the UK version there is a scene from during that night where they have a conversation in Selina's room and Steven leaves, but in the next episodes it is implied that something has happened. It seems as though there was a scene cut out there too. Was there a further scene shown in Australia from that episode or did that happen later? 

Archived