Recent Article on Spinoff Home and Away Revenge

John

"Home and away would not be around if it was not for Neighbours". 100% false. As I found out and posted on here, H&A was already being thought of in 1985 when Neighbours was on air on Channel 7. It was one of the existing projects selected as the replacement for Neighbours. It was not created from scratch in late 1986.

Bevan Lee said in 2004 on a BTTB Q&A that by 1987 when he came on board to rewrite the pilot the show had been in development for over 2 years by then. Alan Bateman said that 2 and a half years of research went into H&A by the time the pilot was filmed. And he said he liked his creations to spend a long time in gestation before he put them to air.

And I found that Channel 7 have photo archives indexed every 2 months, and a catalogue of photo stills from Aug/Sep 1985 of publicity and production images of current and future Channel 7 productions has H&A in the list. It has Hey Dad on the list, which did not air until 1987.

Yet again more sloppy journalism about this common myth that H&A was created from scratch as a rival to Neighbours.

Same old Debate which is better Neighbours or H&A.

One shows Urban Australia

the Other a Great Travel guide show to the beach life and the Australia I love.

The 80s were a great era for Aussie TV with good drama and Comedy with as you listed Hey dad and OMG I still shocked at that scandal alot of good things came out of that decade and should be enjoyed.

Probably  a Ramsey Street fan writing that story

I think common myths can be hard to shake off and many people are probably unaware of the truth.

Casting was ready by Feb 1987 according to a SMH article, "for a new telefeature called Home And Away". Also in the research I have done, nowhere have I ever come across this notion that it was going to be called "Refuge". I think at the last minute they did tweak the concept of the show a bit when they needed a new show to fill Neighbours gap but that is all. The original idea for H&A was deffo first worked on sometime before mid 1985.

Until 2008 H&A was the best of the 2, then Neighbours took that crown and they look like they may keep it.

59 minutes ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

I think common myths can be hard to shake off and many people are probably unaware of the truth.

Casting was ready by Feb 1987 according to a SMH article, "for a new telefeature called Home And Away". Also in the research I have done, nowhere have I ever come across this notion that it was going to be called "Refuge". I think at the last minute they did tweak the concept of the show a bit when they needed a new show to fill Neighbours gap but that is all. The original idea for H&A was deffo first worked on sometime before mid 1985.

Until 2008 H&A was the best of the 2, then Neighbours took that crown and they look like they may keep it.

Agreed

Neigh Bores is still boooring LOL. I watch Neighbors. But I don't know as bad as H a A is at times. H and A still has this edge about it. And uniqueness. I often think of Neighbores as much as it has Better balance and consistency. As inside. H and A outside. You got the Caravan. Bonfires. Beach. Babes. Neighbors is mostly indoors and suits. Matter of style and preference. I also feel Hand A is better when the young teens are interacting with the older characters. Fostering Aspect etc. Neighbors seems great when it's Older characters are at the forefront. 2008 was the best and the last great year of H and A. 

7 hours ago, Luke39 said:

Neigh Bores is still boooring LOL. I watch Neighbors. But I don't know as bad as H a A is at times. H and A still has this edge about it. And uniqueness. I often think of Neighbores as much as it has Better balance and consistency. As inside. H and A outside. You got the Caravan. Bonfires. Beach. Babes. Neighbors is mostly indoors and suits. Matter of style and preference. I also feel Hand A is better when the young teens are interacting with the older characters. Fostering Aspect etc. Neighbors seems great when it's Older characters are at the forefront. 2008 was the best and the last great year of H and A. 

Yes Luke both have their Strong points and weaknesses. H&A has location and more youth storylines as Neighbours has the Street and indoor stories. and focus on older actors. It depends on which you enjoy more. As you said a matter of preferance. I seen the recent products and love the location location location of summer bay yet there no special person there, and for Ramsey Street i heard rumors of ideas I feel would help yet I think they are helped by the love and devotion of many fans. I think it comes down to whether we want to have older established characters stay or return or keeping bring in new people?

Some people say that 1992/1993 was when Neighbours went in a newer direction and "original Neighbours" sort of ended. I tend to disagree and that disagree also applies to post 2000 Home And Away. H&A felt like H&A until 2005ish. The Diner was not even an original location despite being lost in 2000, and many originals returned for guest stints in 2000. I think the original fostering format felt a bit stale so they took on a new fostering formula with the Sutherlands.

2 hours ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

Some people say that 1992/1993 was when Neighbours went in a newer direction and "original Neighbours" sort of ended. I tend to disagree and that disagree also applies to post 2000 Home And Away. H&A felt like H&A until 2005ish. The Diner was not even an original location despite being lost in 2000, and many originals returned for guest stints in 2000. I think the original fostering format felt a bit stale so they took on a new fostering formula with the Sutherlands.

Things  have changed each decade. I understand they always leave the door open for people who WANT to to return, Yes I think thats the plan for the future with new Formulas

Archived