The Camping Trip

AtlantaG1912

Chapter 78

Inside Kyle's Hospital Room

The machine's connected to Kyle are going haywire as they get louder and louder until it is the only noise filling the room.

Hannah suddenly comes barging in as everyone else is pushed out: "What happened he was fine a couple of minutes ago?"

Nate turns to her and says: "I don't know but this is the fifth time he has gone into cardiac arrest."

Hannah just looks at him and says: "Do you know what is causing his heart to keep stopping?"

Nate looks at her as he places the defibrillator pads on to Kyle's now visible chest: "I don't know!"

With that Nate grabs the paddles and shouts: "Charge to 350! Everyone stand clearly!"

Kyle's body lifts of the bed when the electricity from the paddles hits him.

Outside Kyle's Hospital Room

As everyone stands outside the room Brax turns to Casey and asks: "Is there anything that you know but aren't telling us?"

Casey stars a Brax for nearly a minute: "No Brax I have told you everything that I know of. I promise!"

They all went quiet again when Heath speaks up: "I don't get why the kid would have pages missing from his medical file?"

They all stare at Heath with blank faces as they try to understand what was going on.

"Maybe they were just misplaced?" Ricky suggests.

"If that was the case Ricky, someone would have said something surely and it just odd how it is a selection of pages from the last eleven years and not just a chunk from the same time." Bianca says to her friend curiously.

Heath looks at his wife then the others who are looking at Bianca: "She's right if they were misplaced it would be more than certain pages."

"Are you suggesting that maybe someone took them deliberately, Heath?" Casey asks his brother.

Heath just nods his head.

Brax who had one ear listing to what was going on in the room and one ear listening into the conversation says: "Why would someone deliberately take pages from his file?"

"Why would someone try to kill him for money?" Casey responded which Brax just ignored.

Inside Kyle's Hospital Room

After ten minutes Nate and the nurse managed to stabilise Kyle and had placed him on a ventilator to help him breathe to take some pressure of his currently injured body.

"Hannah I need you to go and ring down to Radiology and tell them we are bringing a patient down for an emergency MRI scan." Nate told his friend.

Hannah said to Nate: "Do you think there is something else going on that we didn't pick up on the original CT scan that was done when Kyle was brought in?"

"Yeah I do."

"Ok." Hannah answered and then turned on her heel and walked out the room straight past the Braxtons to the Nurse's Station to Phone Radiology to let them know.

While she was doing this Nate and the other nurses started to prepare Kyle to be moved.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 79

While all the Braxtons were stood around the door the Kyle's room was thrown open and there was a group of nurse who were wheeling Kyle out and straight towards the lift.

Upon seeing Nate, Brax asked: "Nate what's going on and where is he going?"

Nate knowing that hiding anything back would just annoy the oldest brother said: "Kyle's heart stopped again and due to the amount of pressure that put on his body that is currently healing and his already weakened heart from the previous cardiac arrests we have placed Kyle on a ventilator for the moment."

"So that still doesn't tell me where he is going, Nate?"

"Well as I was about to say, we are now taking Kyle down for an MRI scan." Nate replied to Brax.

Ricky looked at her ex and asked: "What are you hoping to find with that?"

"Well, I want to see if there is perhaps more damage been done to Kyle's body when the beam fell on him than we first thought."

"But I thought he already was given a scan when he first arrived?"

"He was but sometime the CT scan doesn't pick anything other than what we originally found to be wrong with Kyle which is why I've ordered an urgent MRI to be safe." Nate answers.

Casey speaks up: "I don't understand how you could miss anything?"

"It is possible as like I said the CT doesn't pick everything up so if there was something small going on inside of Kyle's body then that scan wouldn't pick it up which is why we are doing an MRI." Nate explains to the family "Anyway I better go but as soon as the scan is done I will come back and explain."

Nate then stopped speaking and headed off in the direction on the lift leaving the Braxtons and Ricky alone.

Casey turns to Brax with a sad look on his face: "How can they miss something Brax?"

"I don't know but I'm sure as hell going to find out!" Brax shouts.

Radiology

By the time Nate had managed to away from the Braxtons and down to Radiology, Kyle already been placed in the MRI machine, so he took his seat beside the technician while he waited for the scans to show up on the screen.

15 minutes later…

Eventually the scans started to appear on the screen one by one.

While they searched through them carefully, everything seemed to normal to Nate apart from the fact that one of Kyle's kidneys appeared to be smaller than the other but for some people it is normal to have one smaller than the other and have a perfectly good life without ever knowing.

Nate stands up and says to Hannah: "Run up to the lab and see if the results from the blood tests we did earlier are done as they might help explain what's going on."

"Ok, I'll go now." Hannah replies.

"I'll be in my office." Nate shouts through the door to the nurse as she walked away.

Watching through the window Nate can see the nurses putting Kyle back on to the hospital bed and take him back to his room while he headed back to his office to wait for Hannah.

Nate's office

10 minutes later…

After walking up the stairs instead of taking the lift Nate finally reaches his office just as Hannah arrives with the results.

"Here you go?" Hannah hands them over.

"Thanks Hannah and why don't you go home surely you want to see the twins." Nate says to her as he takes the results from her.

"No problem and I'd rather stay here and help with Kyle if I go home now the twins will just bombard me with questions on Kyle that I just won't be able to answer."

"You're probably right." Nate said causing the two friends to laugh.

Hannah then decided to leave Nate's office to go get a drink while Nate looks over the results then heads to the waiting room to talk to Kyle's family.

The Waiting Room

Heath is currently pacing the room while everyone else is sat drinking the coffees that Bianca and Ricky had bought.

Being impatient as he always is, Heath asked: "What is taking so long this time?"

Bianca says to Heath that she once read somewhere that MRI's take longer than normal tests and they probably just want to make sure they aren't missing anything.

Just then Nate enters the room and they all stand up and create a small group around Nate.

Brax asks the doctor: "So did you find anything?"

Nate looks at everyone crowd around him and says: "The MRI showed that Kyle has one kidney smaller than the other but that won't be causing any problems as it is normal for people's kidneys to sometimes have one smaller."

"So what's the problem then and why does his heart keep stopping?" Brax asks again.

"Well I sent Hannah to fetch Kyle's blood test results once the scan was done and it appears that Kyle has something called Hyperkalemia."

"What on earth is that?" Ricky asks him.

"Its when there is a high level of potassium in the blood which is what is causing Kyle' heart to keep stopping."

Ricky still not understanding how it is possible asks: "So how did he get that then?"

Nate then explains: "Hyperkalemia can occur when some of the red blood cells in out bodies get destroyed due to a severe injury."

"So your saying that when the beam fell on him it caused this to develop?" Casey asked totally lost by what Nate was saying to them all.

"Yes, but once Kyle's body starts to heal this will automatically fix it's self and won't have any long lasting problems." Nate finishes.

Suddenly Hannah burst into the room with a smile on her face: "Kyle's waking up!"

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, sorry I haven’t updated in while even though I said I would I’ve just been stressing out waiting for my uni result for this year and I can now stop stressing knowing that I’ve passed this year with a 2:2. Anyway thank you for the reviews as per usual I love reading them all and here’s the next chapter which I apologise for it being short.

Chapter 80

Kyle's Hospital Room

Nate came rushing through the door of Kyle's hospital room with Hannah hot on his tail, to find Kyle trying to grab the tube that was in his month. Nate grabs Kyle's hand to stop him but it didn't stop from Kyle's vitals showing obvious signs of distress.

"Kyle, you need to calm down so I can take out the tube." Nate said to Kyle calmly.

Kyle stopped and calm downed down as Nate and Hannah prepare to take the tube out of the young mans throat.

Nate looked at Kyle and said: "Kyle I need you take a deep breath for me and while I pull out the tube."

Kyle did as he was told and took a deep breath, when the tube was out Kyle started to chock which Hannah tells him its normal as he kept coughing.

Nate starts to check Kyle over: "How you feeling Kyle?"

Looking at the doctor Kyle replied quietly: "Sore."

"That's to be expected now do you know what day it is?" Nate asked him.

Kyle thought for a moment before he said anything: "Is it Tuesday?"

"Yeah its lunchtime on Tuesday to be precise. Do you know what happened?"

Kyle just starred at the doctor with a confused look on his face and said: "I don't know."

"That's ok, it common for people in your position to not remember what caused them to end up in the hospital." Nate says to the teen "I'll be right back Kyle."

With that Nate turned round and left the room.

Outside Kyle's hospital room

"How is he?" Brax asks immediately.

"Kyle seems to be doing ok although he can't remember what happened but that is normal with people who have suffered concussion and injuries like Kyle has." Nate tells them all just as Bianca appears.

"Alf is bringing Phoebe back as she didn't want to wait till later on." Bianca tells them all.

"That's good considering she's the first person he is probably going to ask for when we go in the room." Ricky replies.

"Can we go in now Nate?" Casey asks.

Nate looks at them all and says: "Yes you can go in now but Brax before you go into see him can I talk to you for a minute as you are Kyle's legal guardian."

Brax tells the others to head in and while he talked to Nate.

Chapter 81

Once everyone had entered Kyle's room the two men were left to talk amongst themselves.

"As your Kyle's brother I'm hoping he might open up to you and explain why there is pages missing from his file." Nate told him.

"Don't worry Nate that is the first thing I will be asking him when I go in there." Brax said to the doctor.

Nate looked him and said: "Brax I think it's best if you wait for a least a day before you ask Kyle considering he has only just woken up and beside when Phoebe gets here I'm going to speak to her about these trips to Melbourne every six months."

Agreeing with Nate, Brax says: "Ok I won't ask him yet but I don't understand why there is a problem with the two teens going to Melbourne to see family and friends when me and Roo both give them permission."

"Well that might be the case but considering its every six months and from what I can gather always at the same time without feel, I just want to be safe." Nate answers the oldest Braxton.

Brax nods his head and then turns entering Kyle's room leaving Nate stood there in the corridor.

Kyle's Hospital Room

When Brax enters the room he is happy to see everyone laughing and talking.

"It's good to see you awake." Brax said to baby brother.

Kyle looks around the room: "`Where's Phoebe?"

"What did I say about the first thing that would come out of his mouth?" Ricky laughed.

"What?" Kyle asked them.

"Nothing mate, to answer your questions Pheebs is on her way here." Heath replied.

Before Kyle could say anything else Brax spoke: "Kyle can you do us all a favour?"

"Sure."

"Don't scare us all again please."

"Okay I won't do that again and I'm sorry." Kyle said.

Casey looked at his brother and said: "Do you even know what you are apologising for?"

"Well for being in hospital obviously." Kyle replied.

This answer caused the whole room to burst into laughter which caused Kyle some discomfort as it pulled on his stiches. Suddenly the door to room was flung open which caused the laughing to stop.

A swift breeze went past as the person who opened the door went running over to Kyle.

"KYLE DANIEL BRAXTON!" the young girl said loudly.

"Hey Pheebs." Kyle said with a smile on his face.

"You scared me." Phoebe said "If you ever do that again I will dump you."

This caused Kyle to look worried but he starts to smile again when he knows she's only joking.

Phoebe then grabbed his face and started to kiss him which caused Bianca to say: "Okay I think we should leave the two love birds to it."

Which had everyone agreeing and leaving the room quickly.

Outside the hospital room

Alf was stood by the nurse station chatting to Hannah when the others all came out the room.

"So how's the young fella doing?" Alf asks as he walks over to them.

"Well from the way him and Phoebe were starting to snog each other's face off, I would say he's ok Mr Stewart." Casey says which earns a slap from both Ricky and Bianca.

"What Casey is saying Mr Stewart is that Kyle is going to be fine now thankfully." Ricky tells the older man.

"That's good news at least now you can all rest knowing he is going to be ok."

Brax says to him: "Good point Alf anyway why don't you head home and we'll bring Phoebe back later because I don't think she will be leaving anytime soon."

"You might be right and I do have a couple of things to do round the Caravan Park anyway. Will you let Phoebe know?" Alf asks and Brax tells Alf that he will.

As Alf walks away, Ricky turns to Casey and says: "I think it's time to take you home and besides I think we all need sleep and a shower at least."

Casey who doesn't want to leave starts to argue but Ricky who is having none of it tells him that he needs sleep and a shower and that is final.

Brax waits until Ricky is finished: "Casey, she is right you were involved in the accident as well."

"See Case even the big brother thinks I'm right." Ricky laughs.

"But I don't want to leave him here after what happened." Casey says to them.

"Well he won't because I'm going to stay."

Bianca decided to speak up: "Come on Brax! Do you really want to stay while Phoebe is here?"

"Actually now that I think about a shower sounds like a good idea. I'll just go and let them know." Brax said.

"Is he really going to go in there?" Casey asked which made everyone laugh again.

Kyle's Hospital Room

"Are you sure that you don't need anything?" Phoebe asks her boyfriend.

Before Kyle could answer Brax enters the room: "Mate we are going to go home I know it's only lunchtime but we have been up all night so I think we will come back in the morning and leave you in the capable hands of Phoebe."

"Ok Brax I will see you tomorrow." Kyle answers.

"We will bring you some stuff tomorrow. So gets some sleep." Brax replies then walks back out the room leaving the two teens alone.

Once Brax had left the room Phoebe says: "Well I guess that means I don't need to go and get you anything from your place anymore."

Kyle didn't answer as he watched the doorway where Brax had just been stood.

"Kyle, what is it?" Phoebe asks him.

"Brax is bringing me my stuff but he won't be bringing the one thing that I need the most." Kyle says.

"What's that?"

"My medication you are going to have to go get it because Brax doesn't know so when they get here tomorrow your going to have to sneak in to my place and get them otherwise I'm screwed." Kyle tells her.

Phoebe doesn't say anything instead she slaps his arm making sure that it is the arm that wasn't broken.

"What was that for?" Kyle said.

"You haven't told them yet? I thought after you collapsed at the rest it would have made you see that you need to tell them." Phoebe said angrily.

Kyle looks at her and says: "Well you didn't say anything."

"You asked me not to so I didn't and beside I forgot."

That caused Kyle to start laughing: "Well thanks a lot, I know I will be safe in your hands."

"No problem babe." Phoebe laughed "When they get here tomorrow I will say I'm going home then go to yours and get your medication but for now please go to sleep."

Kyle stopped talking and shut his eyes before long he was flat out with his girlfriend asleep in the chair beside him.

Thank you for all the lovely comments again and here's the next chapter.

Chapter 82

Braxton House – the Next Day…

Ricky was stood over the hob cooking breakfast with help from Casey which was more like him getting in the way. Heath and Bianca walked into the room and sat down.

"Yo, Casey I'm going for a surf after breakfast if you fancy coming with me?" Heath asked.

"Sure I was going for a surf after anyway, we should ask Brax if he wants to come as well." Casey.

Brax walked into the room with a bag which he placed beside the door as it was full of stuff for Kyle and he didn't want to forget it: "Go where?"

"So you are up, I thought you were still asleep." Heath said "And me and Case are going for a surf after breakfast, if you want to come with us?"

"Sorry guys I can't, as I promised Kyle I would see this morning and give him a break from that girlfriend of his." Brax said as he sat down.

Bianca who was pouring her self some coffee said to her family: "Well as my husband here is busy I think I will go and pay that little sister of mine a visit as I've missed her and Heath don't forget we promised Irene we would meet her for lunch, so no surfing all day."

"Don't worry Bianca, I have work this afternoon so I can't spend all day at the beach and before you say anything Brax I am going to see Kyle after work." Casey said as he saw the look on his older brother's face.

Kyle's Hospital Room

Kyle woke up to the sound of the hospital coming alive with the hustle and bustle of people going about their day and then he turned his head to see Phoebe starring at him: "Did you sleep?"

Phoebe says to her boyfriend: "Yes I did sleep, well as much I could in this chair anyway. Oh, Brax text an hour ago saying he and Ricky would be her soon with your stuff."

Kyle looked at Phoebe and smiled knowing that soon he would have his medication.

Nate appears and enters the room walking towards the bed: "Who are you feeling this morning Kyle?"

"I feel fine Nate but I would be better if I could get out of this place." Kyle said to the doctor.

"Sorry mate but you aren't going anywhere at the moment."

Kyle was about to start arguing when Brax and Ricky appear.

"What's going on?" Brax asks the three people in the room.

Phoebe speaks up: "Well Kyle wants to go home but Nate won't let him."

"Well Kyle you aren't going anywhere until Nate says you can and that's final." Brax tells the teen as he turns to look at Nate "How's he doing anyway?"

"He appears to be doing better than expected but to be safe I want to keep him in for at least three days to make sure then if nothing else becomes a concern then I will think about discharging Kyle." Nate answers Brax's question.

A smile creeps over Kyle's face as he heard what he wanted to hear the most. After noticing the smile on his patient's face Nate leaves the room.

"So where is everyone else?" Phoebe asks curiously.

Ricky says to the young girl: "They are all busy but they said they would all come by later if they can."

"Nice to know that they care so much!" Kyle said sadly.

"Hey! They care even though they don't always show it they do care considering Bianca and Heath dropped everything in the middle of the night to be here, so don't you dare say they don't care!" Brax shouted at his younger brother.

"Ok." Kyle says quietly, he then turns to Phoebe "Pheebs, why don't you go home and get a shower or something?"

Phoebe knowing what Kyle was on about says: "Are you sure you will be ok if I go?"

"Yes I promise but only if you go now and come back later when you smell a bit nicer." Kyle says pulling a funny face which makes Ricky and Brax laugh.

"Okay I get the hint; I'll see you later." Phoebe leans over and place a kiss on Kyle's lips and then says goodbye and leaves to complete her mission.

Ricky watched the young girl leave and then says to Kyle: "Well I made sure Brax packed everything you would need so you have PJs as I didn't think you would want to stay in the hospital gown the whole time you're here."

"Yeah I don't want to give Heath any chance to laugh at me." Kyle says to her.

"I put some books in there so you wouldn't be bored." Brax tells him.

"Thanks guys you didn't have to do this."

"Don't be silly, of course we did."

Brax looks at Kyle who is starring at his change of clothes: "What's wrong?"

"I can't really change on my own with this cast on my arm." Kyle tells the pair.

Ricky knowing what Kyle meant said: "Why don't I go and get us some coffee and Brax you can help Kyle."

With that Ricky left the room leaving the two brother to complete the task.

While Ricky is gone Brax takes this as a good opportunity to ask Kyle about Melbourne: "I'm just wondering is there any particular reason you and Phoebe go to Melbourne every six months other than to see your friends and family?"

"No there isn't anything else Brax." Kyle says to him as he puts his good arm through his top.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes Brax I'm sure." Kyle says wondering why Brax wanted to know "What's going on Brax you've never questioned it before?"

"It's just that there are some pages missing from your medical file and it has all of us including Nate, what's going on?"

"Brax I swear to you there is nothing going on and if there was you would be the first to know." Kyle says just as Ricky enters the room.

"What are you doing Brax?" She asks her boyfriend.

"Nothing is going on." He tells her.

"Don't lie Brax I heard everything and I think that's enough." Ricky tells the man knowing it would end badly.

Chapter 83

One Hour and Thirty Minutes later…

Braxton House – Kyle's Bedroom

After she head left the hospital Phoebe had gone straight home because she actually did need shower after she got a funny look from an elderly lady on the bus.

She was currently sat on Kyle's bed after making sure that no one was home. Where on earth would Kyle hide his medication? She thought to herself as she looked around the room. Suddenly her eyes fell on the desk and remember in one of the drawers, Kyle has a small cashbox that requires a code to get into it which would be the perfect place to hide them as no one knows the code but her and Kyle as it was the date of the day they first met.

Rushing over to the desk she pulls open the drawer and takes out the cashbox which she quickly puts the code and thankfully there sat inside was Kyle's medication, which she grabs and puts in her bag. Once she had put the box away she walks over to the windows and climbs back through making sure that it is completely shut.

The Diner

Bianca, Heath and Irene were sat at a table having a coffee while waiting for April who had told Bianca she couldn't meet her till lunchtime as she was hanging out with Xavier.

Eventually April walks through the door with Xavier not far behind her, the two of them make their way over to where the three adults were sat and joined them.

"How's Kyle doing?" The two teens said immediately.

"Hey Bianca, Hello Heath. Its so good to see you as I've missed you. Oh hi April I've missed you too. How are you?" Bianca said to April.

"Sorry sis, I've missed you." April says knowing her and Xavier won't get an answer until she had said that.

"That's what I was waiting for and to answer you question, Kyle is going to be fine and from what Ricky has just said on the phone it looks like her will be out of the Hospital in three days."

"Oh thank god for that I was so worried." April says with a sigh of relief.

"I told you Kyle would be fine." Xavier says to his his girlfriend.

Heath who had been sat in silence spoke up: "How's the leg Xavier?"

"I'll be in cast for six weeks which means I can't go surfing for awhile but on the bright side it means I get out of PE when we go back to school in two weeks. Thanks for asking Heath." The teen says.

Irene who was listening intensively to the conversations going on the table interrupted: "Shall we order lunch now that we are all here?"

With that they all started looking through the menu deciding what they wanted.

Kyle's Hospital Room

Brax and Ricky were sat on one side of Kyle's hospital bed talking quietly amongst themselves when Nate came in.

"How has he been since I was last in here?" Nate asks the pair.

"Well he's been sleeping pretty much since Phoebe left so I take it that's a good sign." Brax answers Nate's question.

"Yes that is a good sign as he is giving his body a chance to heal but unfortunately I'm going to have to wake him up as I really must talk to him."

Brax knowing that it would be pointless to wake Kyle up for something he has already answered, Brax says to Nate: "Don't worry Nate I've already asked him and he said there is no other reason he goes to Melbourne with Phoebe other than what we already knew."

"Do you believe him?" Nate asks.

"I do as Kyle has never lied to us and don't see why he would start now."

"Ok then but I still want to take to Phoebe about everything." Nate says to the man.

"Ask Phoebe everything about what?" Came a voice from the doorway.

Nate looks at her and says quietly: "I need to ask you about Melbourne."

"What about Melbourne?" She says as she makes her way over to her sleeping boyfriend.

"Well I just want to know if there is any other reason you go to Melbourne every six months other than to see your family and friends as there's pages missing from Kyle's medical file."

Phoebe had a feeling that someday this was going to be asked and Kyle had told her to lie and say no so she said: "No there is no other reason why we go and I don't know anything about Kyle's medical file."

Kyle who had been asleep when both Nate and his girlfriend had come into the room woke up to find everyone talking: "What's going on?"

Surprised to see Kyle awake Nate says: "I want to know about your allergy to snake bites."

Looking at Nate wondering how he knows about it, Kyle says: "What allergy?"

As soon as those two words had left Kyle's mouth Phoebe just looked at him with a shocked look on her face.

"Phoebe told us that you were bit by a snake which revealed that you were allergic."

"I have no allergies that I'm aware of and I certainly have never been bitten by any snake as I haven't been near one for that to happen." Kyle tells them calmly.

Brax looks at his younger brother: "Kyle, you need to tell us the truth here."

"I am though Brax and whoever told you that is clearly lying to you all." Kyle said which earned him a slap from Phoebe "What the hell was that for?"

"You were the one that told me about the allergy so I told Nate in case they needed to know." Phoebe explains to Kyle.

"No I didn't. What?" Kyle says to them as he doesn't understand why they are all looking at him like something is wrong.

Nate worried that Kyle might not remember telling her says: "Kyle, what exactly is the last thing you remember?"

"Leaving the National Park and heading to the abandoned building but not much after that." Kyle tells them.

"Okay. Brax, Ricky can I talk to you both outside for a minute please." Nate asks.

The three adults leave the room and the two teens just look at each other.

Outside the Hospital Room

"Nate, what's going on?" Brax asks the doctor once in the corridor.

"It maybe possible that the reason why Kyle is saying that he isn't might be to do with the fact he could have been lying to Phoebe?" Nate tells them.

"But why would he have been lying to her if it wasn't true?" Ricky asks.

"Well remember how Phoebe said her and the girls played pranks on the boys and one of them was a rubber snake."

"Yeah but what has that got to do with anything?"

"Well maybe Kyle thought he would try and make the girls pay for the pranks by pretending. This might explain why Phoebe believes it and Kyle is saying it isn't true."

Ricky who had listened to what Nate just told them says: "Well that's the most stupidest thing I've ever heard in my life."

"I know!" Nate agrees.

Kyle's Hospital Room

Once the adults had left the room and closed the door Kyle look at Phoebe and said: "What were you thinking? Why on earth would you tell them that?"

Phoebe not understanding why Kyle is upset replies: "They needed to know Kyle."

"I know you only meant well but I didn't want them to know." Kyle tells her "I'm sorry."

"That's ok." She says as she starts taking the portable DVD player out of her bag.

"Oh, did you manage to get them?"

"Yeah I did I have to think for a bit as I didn't know where they would be then I figured it out." Phoebe says as she takes them out and hands them to Kyle.

Quickly, not even caring that it might affect whatever medication that he was on, Kyle took one before the adults came back in the room.

"Kyle I still think you should tell them about the CKD."

"NO! They can't know because they will do what dad did!"

"They won't Kyle and you know that th.." Phoebe suddenly stopped speaking when she noticed Kyle grabbing his chest "Kyle what's wrong?"

Kyle couldn't speak instead he just continues clutching his chest which in turn sets the machines off.

From out of no where Nate comes rushing into the room with Brax and Ricky behind him.

"What happened?" Nate asks Phoebe as he grabs an oxygen mask.

"We were having a disagreement and then he started clutching his chest." Phoebe explains to Nate as it was the truth.

"Kyle you need to calm your breathing. The oxygen mask will help." Nate tells the teen, who does as he is told and the machines stop beeping.

Brax who was stood beside Phoebe demands: "What just happened?!"

Nate looks at Brax and says calmly: "Kyle just had a panic attack."

Pushing the oxygen mask off his face Kyle tell them: "I'm fine honestly."

Ricky looks at him with a shocked look on her face: "Your obviously not fine Kyle as this is what? The second panic attack you've had as we know about the one over the snake thing."

"That was because... I thought it was... real" Kyle answers "I've never… come face to… face with one before."

Just as Nate was about to say something a nurse came rushing in and tells him that he is needed with another patient, so he leaves with Ricky, Brax and Phoebe confused about what just happened.

Caravan Park – The Main House

45 minutes later…

After what had happened at the hospital Phoebe had decided that it would be bets to go home so she left the hospital to give Kyle some space.

As she entered the house the teen was not expecting Roo to jump on her.

"Where on earth have you been?" Roo demands to know.

"Sorry Roo. I slept at the hospital last night and I came home earlier for a shower and everything but no one was home so I got changed and everything, then grabbed some dvds and my portable dvd player and went back to the hospital." Phoebe tells her.

"And you couldn't have sent a message or called to let me know, I've been going out of my mind with worry." Roo tells Phoebe "How is Kyle anyway?"

Phoebe walks over to the sofa and sits down and starts to tell Roo what just happened.

"Oh dear is he ok now though?" Roo asks.

"Yeah he seemed to be when I left anyway Roo I'm tired so is it ok if I just head upstairs for a rest?" Phoebe ask her.

"Yeah go on." Roo says as the young girls stands up and heads upstairs.

Kyle's Hospital Room

"Kyle, are you 100% positive your okay?" Ricky asks him.

"Yes Ricky I'm fine." He tells her "So I don't why everyone keeps asking me that."

Brax spoke up: "It might have something to do with the fact you had a beam fall on you and you've just had a panic attack for no reason."

"Yeah well I'm fine Brax and I just want to go home."

"Well you will have to wait until Nate discharges you because there is no way in hell you are walking out of here until he does!" Brax says to the teen.

Kyle gives up knowing that arguing about it will get him nowhere and instead turns head away towards the window, this causes Brax and Ricky to worry about why Kyle wants to get of the hospital so quickly.

"Kyle, why do you want to leave so badly?" Ricky asks curiously.

Kyle without turning his head back to face them says loudly: "I just hate hospitals and always have."

Brax ask Kyle: "Is it since your mum was murdered by your uncle?"

"THEY TOLD YOU!" Kyle shouted.

"Yes Kyle they told what me and Brax don't understand is why you didn't say anything about her instead just letting think she was still alive?" Ricky says worriedly.

"You really want to know everything?"

"Yes!" The two adults say to him.

"Fine I'll tell you." Kyle says.

He goes into everything about what happened to his mum and Brax and Ricky just sit there and listen to him as he reveals the secret about his mum.

2 hours later…

Visiting hours were starting to end for the day and Kyle was already asleep after telling them about his mum.

"The others obviously aren't go to come so maybe we should head home and come back in the morning?" Ricky says quietly to Brax to make sure she doesn't wake Kyle.

Brax nods his head in agreement. They both stand up and quietly leave the room and head home with the idea that they will be there as soon as visiting hours start up again.

Braxton House – Living Room

Brax and Ricky walked through the door to find Heath, Casey and Bianca all sat around the TV.

Brax walks past them all and turns the TV off.

"What are you doing? We were watching that!" Heath shouts.

"Why didn't any off you go to see Kyle today like you promised you would?" Brax asked them.

Casey was the first one to respond: "Sorry Brax with the Gym just reopened after being shut for refurbishment I couldn't leave as it was so busy."

Heath then explains to Brax: "Me and Bianca just got caught seeing April and catching up with out friends."

"Do you know Kyle feels like none of you care about him?" Ricky asks the three of them "He thinks that why none of you bothered to show up today."

"We are sorry we were just busy." They all say.

"Well just so you know Kyle is going to be fine except for the fact he had a panic attack earlier." Brax tells them.

"WHAT?!" They all shout once Brax had finished speaking.

"Yeah he had a panic attack." Ricky tells them.

Casey then speaks up: "We will go and see him tomorrow, to prove to him that we do care about him."

Heath and Bianca agree with Casey which make Brax and Ricky very happy.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys the author here, just wanted to say thanks again for all the lovely comments. I also wanted to let you know that i'm thinking about doing a series of One-Shots related to Kyle so was wondering if you all had any suggestions for each chapter, also i have asked my readers on Fanfiction.net to let me know if they had anything they wanted written about Kyle too for a one-shot. Anyway here's the next chapter, i hope you like it.

Chapter 84

Nate's office – Next Day…

Nate was sat in his office going through Kyle's file again when he noticed a name on one of the sheets of paper, Dr Thomas. I wonder if this Dr Thomas might know where these pages are considering he seems to be Kyle's GP back in Melbourne.

Nate picks up the phone on his desk and dials the number. After about three minutes the phone is answered by a young woman who informs him that Dr Thomas is currently on holiday with his family and won't be back till the end of the month. So Nate left a message with the doctor's assistant and hung up.

Kyle's Hospital Room

Laughing leaked into the corridor outside of Kyle's room, the laughter was coming from the four Braxtons who currently occupied the room. As the laughter died down the conversation started to become more serious.

Casey decided to ask his brother about what he had said to Brax and Ricky the day before: "Hey Kyle can I ask you something?"

Kyle stopped and looked at his brother: "Sure, fire away."

"When Brax and Ricky returned home last night they told us what you said about how you feel like none of us cared because we do you know, care that is and we were all worried about you that we I personally couldn't believe you would think that."

"Guys I said that as a joke but somehow I think Brax took it literally so don't worry I know you all care about me." Kyle says with a hint of a laugh in his voice.

"Well you know Brax, he always takes thing literally." Bianca said which caused them all to laugh.

Summer Bay – Beach

While Casey, Heath and Bianca where visiting Kyle at the hospital, Brax and Ricky were hanging out the beach.

Sticking their surfboards in the sand after coming out of the water Ricky sits down and says: "It's nice to not be stuck inside the hospital for a change."

Brax joins her on the sand: "Yeah..."

"Ok, out with it."

"Out with what?"

"I know there is something on your mind some come."

"Well I just can't shake the feeling that there is something else going on with Kyle that he doesn't want any of us to know about."

"Brax your probably just reading to much into it."

"I don't think I am though I was fine until Nate told us about the missing pages that's when it got me thinking that maybe Kyle is hiding something."

"This is exactly why I brought you to the beach this morning as I wanted you to for a couple of hours stop worrying about Kyle, who might I add is perfectly fine." Ricky says as she stands back up.

"Fine I will stop worrying for a couple of hours."

"Good." She replied.

Brax stood up so he was standing in front of her.

"What?" Ricky asked curiously.

"Nothing I'm just thinking that you obviously want me to relax so I am." Brax said, as he picks Ricky up and runs straight into the water.

The two of them continue to splash around in the water not worrying about anything but what was happening at that very moment.

Yabbie Creek

While all the Braxtons where busy either at the hospital or the beach, Phoebe was walking down the street with Tamara and Maddy who had been sent out by Roo and Alf to do the weekly shop.

"So Pheebs, how's Kyle doing?" Maddy asks.

"He's doing fine. Nate said he might be able to go home tomorrow depending on how he is." Phoebe replies.

Tamara joins in the conversations: "That's a good thing isn't it?"

"Yeah it is considering Kyle wants out of the hospital as soon as possible." Phoebe says which cause all three girls to laugh.

The girls stop talking as they get to the car where they place the shopping in the boot and get in.

As she fastens her seatbelt, Phoebe wonders if she should tell her two best friends what Kyle had said to Brax about the allergy but she quickly thought against as she did not want to upset Kyle if he found out so instead she decided to stay quiet about the whole situation.

Maddy turns the radio on which breaks Phoebe train of thought. She starts the car and then drives of heading in the direction of the Caravan Park.

3 hours later…

Kyle's Hospital Room

As Brax and Ricky exited the elevator they could hear laughter coming from the other end of the corridor.

The two of them entered the room and both smiled when they saw that Kyle was more alert today compared to yesterday when he mostly slept.

"You're looking a hell of a lot better than you did yesterday." Brax says to his brother.

Kyle looks up and says: "I feel better too."

"I've just been teasing Kylie here about the surfing incident." Heath tells the pair who just entered the room.

Ricky looks at her friend: "Stop picking on him Heath as I could tell them all about when you were learning to surf."

That made Heath shut up as his face turned red the two youngest Braxtons just looked at each as if to say they needed to ask Ricky about that later.

Bianca decided to change the subject of the conversation: "So I bet you are looking forwarding to going back to school in two weeks?"

"Please don't remind me." Casey said while pulling a face.

Kyle looking at Casey laughed and answered with: "Well I can't wait to go back to school. I hate the school holidays!"

"I can't believe after three years of knowing you Kyle that there is actually a Braxton who loves school and would rather have no school holidays at all." Ricky said which caused them all to laugh, but Kyle had to stop as it was pulling his stitches which hurt.

Caravan Park – Phoebe's Bedroom

Phoebe is sat crossed legged on her bed looking through a photo album that Kyle give her for her 17th birthday that documented their relationship over the last five years.

If anybody else looked at these photos they would just seen two teenagers who are in love and have no care in the world, but all I can think about just looking at these photos from over the last five years is whether or not Kyle is going to be here for us to add another five years' worth of photos to it. Maybe I should tell Nate and Brax about what's going with Kyle but there again is it worth risking this relationship which makes us both so happy.

Phoebe thinks to her self as she weighs up both options.

Kyle means so much to me and he is the one person in this world who truly makes me happy that I can't afford to risk that, so I'm going to leave it like Kyle asked as I know for a fact that he will tell them when he is ready but it still doesn't make me feel any better about lying to everyone however it could actually be for the best as maybe nothing will happen to Kyle to the point where I will have to them all.

Phoebe stopped thinking and went back to looking through the photos until she came to a blanks page and started putting in the photos from the camping trip that got developed while she was in Yabbie Creek.

If anyone would like to suggest some ideas for my Kyle Braxton one shots series let me know please.

Chapter 85

Kyle's Hospital Room (Next Day – Afternoon…)

Nate placed his stethoscope back round his neck after giving Kyle a check up.

"Well Brax you will be glad to know that Kyle is healing nicely." Nate says to Brax.

Kyle who had moved back on the bed says: "Does this mean I can get out of this place today as I'm going stir crazy in here?"

Nate looks at his patient: "Out everybody I treat Kyle you're the only one who asks every time a nurse or myself enters the room if you can leave."

"Well Nate I like to make sure that you all know I want to leave."

"Well it is noted Kyle don't worry."

Brax joins in and asks Nate: "So is he going home today?"

"Well if he promises to just rest and not do anything stupid like go to work." Nate says to Kyle.

Kyle smiles: "I promise I will just rest please Nate."

"Fine then I will go and get the discharge papers sorted out." Nate says, then walks out the room with Brax following.

"Hey Nate, wait a second." Brax says to the doctor.

"What is it Brax?" Nate asks.

"Are you sure it is a good idea for Kyle to be going home so soon after the way his heart kept stopping?"

Nate looks at the river boy and says: "I've explained why that kept happening Brax and as far as we can tell the reason behind it has fixed it's self and his heart hasn't stopped since."

"Well ok then but what about the internal bleeding?"

"Well with that we tend to look at letting patients leave the hospital anywhere between three to five days depending on how they recover and Kyle has recovered extremely well which is why I agreed to discharge him but like I said to him he will still need to rest once he is discharged."

"Ok well I better let you sort his discharge papers out if that's the case." Brax said as he turned and re-entered Kyle's room to help him get ready.

1 hour and 30 minutes later…

Braxton House

Brax stops the car once they arrive home and Kyle slowly gets out as to not injure himself anymore than he already was. Leaving Brax to collect the stuff from the back seat of the car, Kyle heads inside to find everyone sat around waiting.

"Eventually, I was wondering how long it was going to take you and Brax to get here." Casey says "Seriously bro, I've missed my partner in crime annoying Brax and Heath just isn't the same without you here to help!"

"I've missed you to Casey!" Kyle replies.

Brax enters the house with Kyle's bag: "I'll just go put the in your room, Kyle."

"Thank you Brax." Kyle says as he sits down on the sofa.

As soon as he had sat down Ricky and Bianca were all over him with their mother hen routine which only comes out when either him or Casey are ill or in this case injured.

"If you need anything be sure to let either myself or Ricky know and we will get it for you." Bianca says to Kyle who just nods while Heath and Casey laugh.

Suddenly out of nowhere Phoebe appears in the doorway and rushes over to Kyle.

"I was wondering how long that was going to take!" Heath exclaimed as Phoebe started to snog Kyle's face off.

Brax walks back into the room: "If you two don't quit it, Phoebe can leave!"

Stopping the two teens just look at each other then stand up, Kyle says: "I might just go and unpack my stuff and Phoebe can you help me please?"

"Sure I can help no problem." Phoebe replies as she takes Kyle's hand and follows him to his bedroom.

Watching the two teens leave Casey speaks: "Well we won't be seeing them two for awhile."

As soon as the words came out of his mouth, both Brax and Heath slapped him over the back of the head.

Braxton House - Kyle's Bedroom

Kyle enters his room and walk straight over to his bed where he sits down, Phoebe follows him and sits on the empty part of the bed.

"Hey Pheebs." Kyle says.

"Yeah Kyle?" she replies

"I'm sorry for the fight we had the other day."

"I know your sorry and just so you know so am I. I understand why you don't want any of them know and I promise that I will stay quiet for as long as you want me to."

"Thank you and I love you!" He tells her.

"I love you too!" Phoebe says to him "Hey shall we watch some TV as I'm sure that you got sick of the crap that was on the TV in the hospital?"

Phoebe picked up the remote that was on the floor as she waited for a reply from Kyle, which never came. When he didn't answer she turned round to find Kyle fast asleep, she grabbed the blanket and placed it over Kyle then turned to look at the bag that Brax had placed on the floor beside the door.

She stood up and walked over to it deciding that she would help Kyle and unpack it for him. Quietly placing his things away in his drawers and placing the laptop back on his desk she grabbed his medication (that he had hidden in the bag when Brax wasn't looking) and put it back in the safe, then left the room.

Braxton House – Garden

The others had gone outside after Kyle and Phoebe retreating to his bedroom, were all sat around the table talking when they saw Phoebe come outside. They were all shocked to see her considering they all secretly agreed with what Casey had said about not seeing the two teens for awhile.

"Where's Kyle?" Bianca asks the young girl.

Phoebe sits down next to Casey and replies: "I asked him if he wanted to watch the TV as I picked up the remote but when I turned round after getting no reply I noticed he was fast asleep so I unpacked his stuff and came put here to join you all."

"I don't understand why Kyle is so tired all of a sudden." Casey says to them once Phoebe had explained.

"Well Case it might have something to do with the fact that the last couple of days have been crazy and he has only just been discharged from the hospital, so just give him some time and he will be back to normal." Brax says as he looks at Casey "Besides Nate told him he had to rest once he got home so this is a good sign, it means he's doing what he was told."

Casey gives up and tells Brax: "If you say so but I definitely think something is going on."

Once Casey had finished speaking Phoebe looks at him curiously.

"Casey just drop it!" Heath shouts "You heard what Nate said about the MRI, how it didn't show anything out of the ordinary, therefore we shouldn't worry."

"WHAT?!" Phoebe shouts.

Everyone looks at her and then Brax says: "Sorry Phoebe I forgot you had gone home by then but Nate and Hannah took Kyle for an MRI just too make sure that they hadn't missed anything."

Phoebe just stares at Brax with a look of worry draped across her face: "I'm just going to go and put a glass of water in Kyle's room just in case he needs a drink."

With that Phoebe stands up and quickly rushes inside.

As the others watch her disappear, Ricky states: "Well that was odd!"

After grabbing a glass of water to make it look like that's all she was doing, Phoebe heads back into Kyle's room.

As she places the glass on his bedside table, the young teen notices that her boyfriend is still fast asleep so she heads over to where his feet are sticking out of the blanket which she had placed on top of him fifteen minutes earlier. Carefully pulling his shoes of his feet so she didn't wake him, Phoebe starts to see that Kyle's feet and ankle look slightly swollen. Then she looks up to his face where she can see the puffiness around his eyes which are slowly starting to open.

Kyle looks at her and says: "Hey, are you ok?"

"Hey, I'm fine but are you?" Phoebe asks him knowing she'll probably not get a straight answer.

"I'm fine."

A shouts fills the house: "DINNER IS READY!"

Kyle and Phoebe look at each as the shout is followed by: "What was that for?!"

"I guess Ricky just slapped Brax for forgetting you were asleep." Phoebe laughs as she helps Kyle to stand up and they head back into the living room.

Braxton House – Living Room

Everyone is sat around the table stuffing their faces when Kyle and Phoebe enter the room.

Out of the corner of her eye Ricky sports the them and says to Brax: "See Brax, you woke Kyle up!"

"It's ok Ricky I was already awake." Kyle tells her as he sits down a t the dinning table.

10 minutes later…

They were still eating slowly as they talked about anything other than what had happened the past few day, well everyone but Kyle was eating anyway as he just moved the food around the plate with his fork.

"Are you okay Kyle?" Bianca asks him.

"Yeah I'm just not that hungry at the moment." The teen replies as he places his fork back on the table.

Heath looks at what Kyle was doing and says: "You would think that after eating hospital food for the past three days you would be happy to eat a home cooked meal." He then shoves more food into his mouth.

"Sorry!" Kyle replies as he starts to scratch his arm.

"Is the cast itchy?" Brax asks his brother.

Kyle doesn't look at him instead he just keeps scratching his arm just above the cast.

This grabs Phoebe's attention: "Are you ok?"

"No, my skin is really itchy and I don't know why?" Kyle answer her as he continues to scratch his arm.

Ricky looks at Kyle and suggests: "Maybe a cold shower might help but we will need to wrap the cast up so it doesn't get wet."

"Ok!" Kyle says as he stands up and follows Ricky further into the kitchen so she can wrap cling film around the cast to protect it.

45 minutes later…

Braxton House – Bathroom

While the others were back outside enjoying themselves, Kyle steps out of the shower and dries himself off.

As he puts his clothes back on slowly he starts to feel dizzy so he sits down on the side of the bath. He then shakes it off as if it was nothing and finishes getting dressed. Once he was finished he carefully bends down and picks up the towel which he chucks in the laundry basket as he leaves the room, heading straight towards his bedroom.

As Kyle enters his bedroom the dizzy feeling still lingers as he shuts the door. Thinking that maybe having a rest might help make it go away, Kyle walks towards his bed.

Nearing his bed, Kyle's eyes start t shut and his legs start to feel like jelly beneath him and then without any warning, Kyle collapses to the floor….

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys the author here, just wanted to apologise for not uploading sooner as I have been so busy with work and then getting everything sorted for going away next week. Also I did have this already wrote out however word decided to close itself while I was saving it so I have had to rewrite it. I still taking requests for mu other fanfic. Anyway here's the next chapter.

Chapter 86

Braxton House – Garden

Totally unaware that Kyle had just collapsed in his bedroom, the others were currently all sat outside in the garden talking about anything that popped into there heads.

"Hey Brax, do you think it was odd the way Kyle said his arm was itchy?" Casey asked curiously.

Brax placed his beer back on the table after taking a sip: "No I don't it was odd Casey. I remember when I broke my leg and it was constantly itchy and not just where the cast was."

"Ok, if your sure?" Casey replied putting it to the back of his head.

Bianca was talking to Ricky about what Chris had done in the dinner earlier when she said: "Kyle is taking a long sure."

Heath looked at his wife: "So?"

"Well its just that in the whole time we've know Kyle I have never once seen him take a long shower."

"Bianca is right." Phoebe says as she stands up "I will go check on him in case he needs help with anything."

"No I will. You will call Roo and tell her that I said you could spend the night considering I doubt we will be able to get you to leave." Brax said to her "While your doing that, I will go check on Kyle."

Brax then stood up and walked back into the house leaving Phoebe to call Roo and the others back to their conversations.

Braxton House – Hallway

Brax approaches the bathroom door and knocks. When he gets no answer he knocks again and opens the door a tiny margin to see if Kyle was in there but the light was off. Brax closes the door again and heads towards Kyle's bedroom and knocks on the door.

Kyle is still unconscious on his bedroom floor when Brax knocks. The door slowly opens and Brax's head pops round the door, the first thing he notices Kyle's feet on the floor.

"Kyle?" Brax says calmly.

When he gets no answer Brax barges into the room and finds Kyle on the floor not moving.

"GUYS!" Brax shouts loud enough for the others to hear him as he shakes Kyle to try and wake him up to no avail.

The others come running in from the garden and find Brax lean over Kyle trying to wake him up.

"Someone calls an ambulance!" Brax says as Phoebe joins him on floor.

"KYLE, WAKE UP!" She shouts which does nothing to wake the teen up.

Casey watched Phoebe and Brax try to wake Kyle up: "I told you something was wrong but you didn't listen to me Brax!"

Heath and Bianca look at each then tell Casey to go outside and wait for the ambulance with Ricky as he wasn't helping anyone.

10 minutes later…

The paramedics are in Kyle's room trying to wake him up with no response.

"He was released from hospital this afternoon after being involved in in a serious accident that caused him to have internal bleeding and broken arm. Also his heart had kept stopping." Brax tells the paramedics.

"Thank you for letting us know as that might have something to do with what ever is wrong with him now, but we won't know more until we get him to the hospital." The paramedic stated.

They quickly worked to load Kyle on to the stretcher and then left the room heading towards the ambulance.

23 minutes later…

Hospital – Nurses Station

So far it had been a quiet night and Nate was stood at the Nurses Station looking over a patient's file.

"Working again?" Hannah asks as she sits down at the computer.

"So are you." Nate says without looking up from the file.

"Good point." Hannah says as she stands back up then walks away to go and see to a patient, just as the paramedics wheeled Kyle in.

"NATE!" Brax shouts as he spots the doctor.

Nate turns when he hears someone shout his name, when he sees it's Brax and then spots Kyle on the stretcher, he asks: "What happened?"

"I found him unconscious on his bedroom floor." Brax tells Nate "I knew he shouldn't have been discharged earlier."

Hospital – Emergency Room

Hannah comes rushing in after seeing to her patient: "Not Again!"

Nate just looks at Hannah as he listens to everything the paramedics were telling him before they leave to go help someone else.

"I don't understand why Kyle is currently unconscious, as I checked him over before I discharged him this afternoon and he was fine." Nate says as he starts to check Kyle over.

"That's because he was fine earlier." Hannah says as she helps Nate.

Hospital – The Waiting Room

While Nate and Hannah were in the emergency room working on Kyle, Brax was sat once again in the waiting room of the hospital when everyone comes bursting through the door.

"How is he?"

"Is there any news?"

"Was he awake?"

Brax puts his hand up to get them all to stop talking at the same time: "No, he hasn't woken up yet Phoebe. When I left Kyle, he was still unconscious."

As Phoebe listens to everything Brax tells them, she starts to grow increasingly worried. I think I'm going to have to break that promise I made to Kyle earlier.

"Hannah takes those bloods down to the lab and tell them they need to be rushed as its an emergency." Nate says as hands the blood samples over to Hannah.

As Hannah was leaving the room the machines started to make themselves known, just as Kyle's body started to convulse.

"Quickly he's having a seizure." Nate shouts as they all try to stop it.

45 minutes later…

Everyone was spread around the room, waiting for news on Kyle again, when Nate enters the room.

"Brax." Nate says.

"What's going on Nate?" Brax says straightaway.

"I'm sorry it has taken me so long to come and speak to you but I had to make sure Kyle was stable first."

"Well is he?" Heath asks.

"Kyle suffered a seizure just after I sent Hannah to take Kyle's blood down to the lab."

Bianca asks Nate: "Why did he have a seizure?"

"That's what I'm trying to figure out. Brax, I don't suppose you know if Kyle is epileptic?"

"Shouldn't you already know that as you have his file!" Casey says angrily.

"Not it is on one of the missing pages."

Brax butts in: "No Nate I don't think he's epileptic."

"That's ok, I just wanted to check with you. Now the paramedics mentioned that you told them Kyle said his skin was itchy?"

"Yeah he did Nate but we all put it down to the cast being itchy so I suggested he go take a shower to see if." Ricky stopped speaking when she noticed the look on Nate's face "What is it, Nate?"

Nate looks at them and says: "Well from the symptoms that have been described it sounds like Kyle is suffering from something that is called, Contrast Induced Nephropathy or as it is more commonly known as CIN."

"What the hell is that?" Heath asks.

"Well it's something that tends to occur when certain dyes are used to enhance the image of an MRI or CT Scan." Nate replies.

Bianca curiously asks: "How can that happen?"

"That's the thing, it shouldn't happen in someone who doesn't have any serious health problems and although Kyle had internal bleeding and did develop Hyperkalemia, that shouldn't have cause it." Nate explains to them.

Before anyone has a chance to say anything else, a nurse runs in the room and says that Kyle is having another seizure.

Looking at the Braxtons and Phoebe, Nate apologise and leaves to go and help Kyle. Everyone else was left starring at the door wondering what on earth was going on.

Kyle is still seizing when Nate enters the emergency room.

"We need to get these seizures under control quickly." Nate tells the nurses then thinks to himself. There must be something going on that both Kyle and Phoebe know and are keeping it a secret!

Suddenly Kyle stops moving and the machines start beeping loudly the sound that indicates that Kyle had stopped breathing.

While Nate and the nurse are trying to stabilise Kyle, Hannah comes running in with the blood results.

"What do the blood results says?" Nate asks without looking away from Kyle.

"They show that he is suffering from Hyperkalemia."

"AGAIN?!" Nate shouts loudly "Right someone get me a tube quickly I'm going to intubate Kyle and keep him sedated until we can figure out what is going on."

15 minutes later…

Nate re-enters the waiting room and before anyone can start speaking he says: "In Kyle's best interest I have placed him on a ventilator and I plan on keeping him that way until we know what is going on."

"So how long will that take?" Brax asks the doctor.

"Honestly, I don't know Brax. When I discharged Kyle this afternoon he was perfectly fine to leave, which is why I can't explain what is happening now." Nate tells the oldest Braxton.

Phoebe who was still sat down says something quietly which grabs the attention of everyone else in the room.

"Phoebe. Is there anything that I should know that could help him to save Kyle's life?" Nate asks the young girl.

Phoebe looks up with a tear in her eye: "I promised Kyle that I wouldn't say anything to anyone."

Ricky bends down and says: "Pheebs, he would understand if you broke the promise to help him."

Knowing there was no way she was going to get out of this situation, Phoebe tells them: "I noticed something was wrong with Kyle when she saw how tired he was when he got home from the hospital. However, at the time if thought it was because of everything that had happened lately but then Brax mentioned that Kyle had been given an MRI and then I remembered that he had also been given a CT scan as well. It then clicked with me."

"What clicked with you?" Nate asks unsure of what Phoebe was getting at.

"Kyle can't have an MRI or a CT scan as it can kill him."

"Phoebe, they can't kill Kyle as he isn't seriously ill." Nate tells her.

Phoebe just looks at Nate.

"What is it, Pheebs?" Brax says to the girl.

Phoebe looks down at her hands then speaks: "I noticed all the symptoms that Kyle was suffering from and put two and two together and figured it was what you told us Nate."

"What CIN?" Nate asks.

Phoebe nods her head then says something that none of them were expecting: "Kyle is suffering from CKD which is Chronic Kidney Disease."

Chapter 87

They all stare at Phoebe silently, then Brax asks: "What on earth are you on about?"

Phoebe starts to cry as she realises she had just done the one thing that Kyle had made her promise not to do.

Heath ignoring the crying girl turned back to Nate: "Kyle can't have this CKD thing as he is perfectly fine."

Nate puts his hand up to stop Heath from talking and then looks at Phoebe: "How long has Kyle been suffering from CKD?"

"Since he was six years old." Phoebe speaks through the sobs "The doctors discovered it the day he was bitten by the snake."

"Hang on, Kyle said that didn't happen." Brax remembers.

"He lied."

Nate asks her: "Is this why there were pages missing from Kyle's medical file?"

"Yes, it's why we go to Melbourne every six months for his check up and to get a refill on his medication."

Ricky completely shocked by the fact that the two teens had lied to there faces, spoke: "So you both lied to us about the trip?"

"Not exactly Ricky. We do see friends and family while we are there as it's Kyle's parents who take him to see Dr Thomas."

"I tried calling that very doctor but as it turns out the guy is on holiday till the end of the month. So we have no way of getting a hold of the pages from the file." Nate explains the phone call.

Phoebe remembers what Kyle had once told her: "Kyle's parents have copies!"

"Are you sure?"

"Yes Nate I'm sure. They had copies just in case they ever needed them."

"Do you there is anyway we can get them?" Nate asks her.

"Yes, I will go call them now." Phoebe answers as she gets up and walks out the room to make the call.

Hospital – Corridor

Once in the corridor, Phoebe takes her phone out her pocket and unlocks it. She searches through her contacts until she lands on the name, Louise Taylor.

Ring Ring

Ring Ring

Louise: Hello.

Phoebe: Hi Louise, it's Phoebe.

L: Oh Phoebe this is a surprise as I wasn't expecting to hear from you as Kyle mentioned you were going camping for his birthday.

P: We did but there was an accident.

L: Is Kyle alright?

P: He was but…

L: But what?

Phoebe doesn't speak as she knows what she is about to say will make the women on the other end of the phone upset but then she knows that she has to tell her so they can help Kyle.

P: Kyle is suffering from CIN. I had to tell Kyle's brothers and his doctor what is wrong with him as he is not able to.

L: Why isn't he able to tell them Phoebe?

P: Kyle is not breathing on his own Louise. I'm so sorry!

L: Oh my! Is he going to be okay? Why didn't the doctor know about Kyle?

P: The pages with the information on are missing from Kyle's medical file as he sees Dr Thomas in Melbourne and obviously Kyle hasn't told anyone here in Summer Bay. The problem is now we can't get the pages from Dr Thomas as he is on holiday.

L: What hospital is it?

P: Yabbee Creek Hospital.

L: Right I will see you soon as I will book the next flight out and be there as quickly as I can. Bye!

P: Bye!

Phoebe waits for the phone to make the sound of the line going dead and then returns to the waiting room.

Hospital – Waiting Room

Phoebe re-enters the room: "Kyle's mum is going to get the next flight out of Melbourne."

"I thought Kyle was in Foster Care." Brax quizzed.

Casey speaks up: "Kyle calls his foster parents mam and dad as he has been with them since he was like 10 and half years old."

Butting in as he needed to get back to his patient Nate says: "As soon as we have all the documents that are missing from the file, I will be able to tell you what we are dealing with in terms of how bad Kyle is. Now I'm going to go check Kyle's GFR."

"GFR?" Ricky asks.

"Sorry, it stands for Glomerular Filtration Rate." Nate explains as he walks away.

Once Nate had left the room to go check on Kyle and do more tests the other occupants of the room turned to Phoebe.

"Why did neither of you say anything?!" Brax demanded to know.

"Kyle was worried how you would all react if you found out." Phoebe says without looking up at the angry Braxton.

"What are you on about?"

Phoebe gulps then tells them what Kyle had said to her: "When Kyle told your dad about it, Danny that he was weak. Which is why he didn't want you all to know as didn't want you to treat him like that as well."

Heath doesn't understand why Danny would say that: "Why would dad say that to Kyle, his own son?"

"It might have something to do with the fact that Danny was a horrible human being who only cared about whether someone could do the job or not." Brax says as he thinks of how disgusted he is with what Phoebe had just told them.

Bianca turns to Phoebe curiously: "How long have you known about this Pheebs?"

"I found out not long after we started dating. He had been late to meet at the park and after some digging as I wasn't taking what he had told me for answer he finally revealed everything to me."

"SO YOU'VE KNOWN FOR FOUR YEARS!" Heath shouts "NOT ONCE DID YOU THINK IN THE YEAR AND A HALF THAT YOU HAVE BEEN IN THE BAY TO TELL US ANYTHING!"

"I swore to Kyle that I wouldn't say a word to anyone." Phoebe replies as she starts to cry again.

"HEATH THAT'S ENOUGH!" Ricky shouts at her friend "Phoebe was only doing what Kyle had asked her to do. So getting angry with Phoebe is going to help anyone especially not Kyle!"

15 minutes later…

Hospital – Nate's Office

Nate was sat at his desk starring at the piece of paper in his hand that had the results of Kyle's GFR.

When he looked at them it showed that Kyle's kidneys were currently functioning at 31% meaning that Kyle had now entered stage 3B of Chronic Kidney Disease. This meant that all the symptoms were more likely to make themselves known and that the medication Kyle was currently on no longer works.

Nate sighs just as Hannah enters the room.

"I take it that is isn't good news for Kyle then?" She asks.

Nate passes the results to her and says: "You are correct. Take a look at the results."

Hannah reads the results then falls into the chair behind her: "I can't believe it! You would never for a second guess that there was anything wrong with him."

"I agree but it certainly does explain a lot now." Nate tells her.

Hospital – Kyle's Room

While Nate and Hannah were discussing Kyle's results in his office, a nurse had shown them all to Kyle's room where Phoebe is now sat holding his hand.

"I can't believe this happening." Bianca states.

"What are we going to do now as I don't think any of us know how to deal with something like this." Brax asks out loud.

Phoebe listens to what the others are all saying and finally gets why Kyle did want any of them to know: "Just be there for him like a family is meant to be."

Brax tells her: "We don't know what to do though Pheebs and it might be in his best interest that he goes back to Melbourne."

Phoebe shouts at Brax as soon as he is done speaking: "This is exactly what Kyle didn't want to happen and it is why didn't tell you all!"

"We understand that Phoebe but we are trying to think about what is going to be bets for Kyle now that we know he is ill." Ricky says to her.

Casey who doesn't want Kyle to leave says: "Phoebe is right! We need to help Kyle and we won't be doing that by shipping him off like dad would have done."

Casey stops talking when he sees Nate in the doorway. They all look at Nate and notices the look on his face.

"What is it?" Casey asks.

"Kyle's kidneys are currently functioning at 31% and unfortunately Kyle has now entered the later stages of CKD." Nate tells them all.

"What exact stage is 31%?" Phoebe asks not knowing whether she really wants the answer.

"Stage 3B. This means that Kyle's kidneys are now less able to filter the blood properly, and from the way that Kyle has already had two seizures it is starting to look like he has developed Uraemia."

"Urema, what?" Heath says not understanding what Nate was telling them.

"Uraemia, it basically means that Kyle's kidneys are less able to remove the waste products that are in his system by turning them into urine which means that Kyle now has too much urea in his blood which is why he keeps having the seizure."

"Well then how do we stop them?" Bianca asks.

"Well normally the best way to treat it be to put Kyle on dialysis."

"Do that then." Brax demands.

"As Kyle can't be placed on dialysis until his kidneys are at 15% or less and besides he needs to be awake."

"Well then wake him up so that when they get to that he can go straight on it." Heath says.

"It's not that easy Heath! As Kyle is unable to breathe on his own I want to keep him on the ventilator for as long as possible to take the pressure of his heart and lung. So instead we are going to try something else to combat the problem."

"What will that be?" Ricky asks the doctor.

"Well we will use intravenous fluids and blood transfusions to see if that can wash the toxins out of his system."

"And what if that does work?" Phoebe asks him while not taking her eyes of Kyle still form.

"Well if that doesn't work I will have no choice but to wake him up and place him on the dialysis even if his kidneys are not at that percentage."

"But you just said that you don't want to do that." Casey says.

Nate replies with: "We might not have a choice."

With that Nate leaves the room to get everything that he needs to help Kyle while the Braxtons, Ricky and Phoebe prepare for the long ahead of them.

Archived