Need New Young/Teen Characters

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 6:33 PM, Blaxland 89 said:

The answer is quite simple Have a wide mixture of ages that all intergrate well together, all that have equal billing to create a good ensemble of cast. They did it 30 years ago. Why is so difficult to do that now I'll never know. Surely they want to reach as many different viewers as possible. 

Oh your so right Look back at when Kate Ritchie was so young when I 1st seen H&A  and bring back that magic.......sadly one Child Aussie star said "I'm not the same soul I once was A lot has changed a lot had to change so you shouldn't expect out of me who I embodied in the past for that part of me no longer exist!" How true that is as she NOT the person I and the mates once liked. yet I wish for those days the projects they did and the quality of the work. That's what needed

^ the show had always had teens the show was built around fostering, I don't think they need more teens, maybe some replacement teens to replace the older ones that have left or that will leave. 

Yes That's always the case you need new people and characters  like someone in Perth told me. Thye always can find the standard Hottie to be half the IT couple to help bring the show ratings...............

It depends on whether they impressed the viewers and although I have sympathy I still find myself comparing them to others which sometimes isn't a good thing as you tend to wish they be like the former fav?

To be honest, I think it's the 20-something group that is far too big, and is the thing that is wrong in H&A. I have always liked the teen group far more than the twenties something, because with the teens we get more interaction with the older characters, but the twenty something group is much more isolated from the rest. The romance in the teen group have almost always a deeper side to it, involve the guardians and sometimes also some interesting problems which involves several characters.

But the romance in the twenty something group always are about triangles without involving anyone else and isn't that interesting to watch because it's like they won't allow the 20/30 something characters to grow up. For example the Ricky/Nate/Brax thing has been going on for years, and those characters haven't been allowed to do other things. I expect more from the adult characters, they need to act like adult people. Especially Nate as a character has suffered because of this.

At the same time, Maddy has been allowed to develop (even if she reverted) through her romance storylines, and so did also Evie, Oscar and so on. 

Home and away use to have a strong teen group which had much contact with the adults. But the 20/early something group wasn't that big. And the characters had different storylines. Just think about the difference between Sally/Flynn, Dan/Leah, Rebecca/Travis and the characters in the 20/30 something group from 2010... 

1 hour ago, jodlebirger said:

To be honest, I think it's the 20-something group that is far too big, and is the thing that is wrong in H&A. I have always liked the teen group far more than the twenties something, because with the teens we get more interaction with the older characters, but the twenty something group is much more isolated from the rest. The romance in the teen group have almost always a deeper side to it, involve the guardians and sometimes also some interesting problems which involves several characters.

But the romance in the twenty something group always are about triangles without involving anyone else and isn't that interesting to watch because it's like they won't allow the 20/30 something characters to grow up. For example the Ricky/Nate/Brax thing has been going on for years, and those characters haven't been allowed to do other things. I expect more from the adult characters, they need to act like adult people. Especially Nate as a character has suffered because of this.

At the same time, Maddy has been allowed to develop (even if she reverted) through her romance storylines, and so did also Evie, Oscar and so on. 

Home and away use to have a strong teen group which had much contact with the adults. But the 20/early something group wasn't that big. And the characters had different storylines. Just think about the difference between Sally/Flynn, Dan/Leah, Rebecca/Travis and the characters in the 20/30 something group from 2010... 

•  

That's why they need to go younger 10-16 year olds

On 24/05/2016 at 8:15 PM, jodlebirger said:

So, so true. I've been saying this for ages in the UK episode discussion thread - the twenty/early-thirtysomethings are just dire, and have been for a couple of years now. At least when the teenagers partner-swap you can excuse it because that's closer to how actual teenagers behave, and they have a degree of fun, and interactions with the older characters by virtue of being their kids. But the endless romantic travails of Brax/Ricky/Nate/Kat/Ash/Phoebe/Kyle/Andy/Hannah/Chris... So few of these pairings I have any interest in, and so much of my time they seem to occupy. It's driven me close to walking away on several occasions recently.

On 24. mai 2016 at 10:16 PM, samdanfan said:

That's why they need to go younger 10-16 year olds

No, they don't, not necessarily. 

I said that it is the twenty/thirty something group that won't get allowed to grow up and they seem to act like the teens. The twenty something group don't get better with a younger teenage group. In real life late twenty/ to mid thirty something group aren't breaking up all the time, but getting in a more firm relationship, getting married, getting kids, building a home and so on. And life is also more than swapping boyfriends/girlfriends all the time when you're 25-35 years old. 

We need the characters in the late 20/ 30's group to act like adult people, like most people do at that age. 

55 minutes ago, jodlebirger said:

No, they don't, not necessarily. 

I said that it is the twenty/thirty something group that won't get allowed to grow up and they seem to act like the teens. The twenty something group don't get better with a younger teenage group. Late twenty/ to mid thirty something group aren't breaking up all the time, but getting in a more firm relationship, getting married, getting kids, building a home and so on. And life is also more than swapping boyfriends/girlfriends all the time when you're 25-35 years old. 

We need the characters in the late 20/ 30's group to act like adult people, like most people do at that age. 

I wouldn't mind a professional "Nurse" for example moving into Summer bay with her 16 yr old daughter or son. Or a 30 something on walkabout with a 10 yr old her only child. whether good or bad a new family parent and kid would bring some new storylines to the show.

On 5/24/2016 at 8:15 PM, jodlebirger said:

•  

I think you've rather brilliantly addressed the problem with the show at the moment (and, incidentally, why I've quit watching - though I'm still reading this forum, you guys are brilliant). The partner-swapping/ love triangles in the 20s/ 30s age group is so dull. Why on earth did they have to put Nate back with Ricky, for example? And God, KILL PHOEBE NOW (that isn't the actress's fault, her character is just like a nail dragged down a chalkboard).

And yes, the teens interact far more with eg Roo, Alf, Irene etc. And that's nice. They hinted at character development with Matt thanks to Leah (I wish we saw more evidence of this), and certainly we saw it with Maddy through Roo being her guardian. What I do wish they'd done with that teen group is actually have one or two leave (as Lucas did so long ago) for university, rather than the implausible scenario where they all ended up studying in the same place. It's actually a believable exit (though less believable, of course, is the fact they'd never come home for holidays - perhaps that was the problem with doing that with Oscar, though that problem would only have applied as long as Evie remained on the show and couldn't they have made an excuse like he had a new GF or BF - I wish H&A would get a bit more diverse in that regard too...)

I think they do need some good new teen characters. I don't like the current bunch, though many viewers clearly disagree - but there isn't one who I really like (I want a strong, flawed female teen in the Belle mould). 

The other issue is that the show really lacks a great couple at the moment. An Indi/ Romeo, or a Belle/ Aden, or a more stable one (though I actually like Leah and Zac together - perhaps they could have some more ordinary couple storylines, before he's inevitably bumped off...

Archived