Torn

Guest Melbelle94

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter Twenty Two:

Nate looked across at Charlie and Brax; they sat in front of his desk holding hands as they waited to hear what he had to say. "After speaking to both girls, I recommend Shay goes into counselling as soon as possible. Katie seems to be adjusting; she doesn't show the same signs. After the years of abuse she has seen or been subjected to I would give her a few months, bring her back to talk to me. Katie doesn't comprehend it all at the moment, she's still so young. There is a chance in the future we will need to look into counselling, to prevent any future mental health risks, but as for right this moment, she's a bubbly bright child. If we see changes in her behaviour we can arrange for immediate counselling"

Brax nodded slowly. "Thanks mate"

Charlie stared at him; she was slowly trying to understand all the information. "Is there some you recommend?"

Nate glanced at Brax. "Natalie. Casey and Ruby both seemed to bond with her strongly"

^..^

Brax opened the front door to see Natalie smiling at him, he smiled gratefully. He didn't trust counsellors especially with his children, with his brothers but he had to admit there was something different about Natalie, she didn't give off the same vibe as all the others he'd met. She hadn't pushed Ruby or Casey to speak about things they didn't want to talk about. She took the time to get to know them, until eventually they felt comfortable enough to open up.
There was also the aspect that she was closest person he'd come to dating, they didn't. They had shared a kiss, but nothing more; instead they were just friends because she knew his love for Charlie ran deep.

"Hey Nat"

Natalie smiled as she stepped into the house. "Hey Brax" Nat murmured as he leaned down and kissed her cheek quickly.

He hadn't told Charlie of the close relationship he had with Nat, though they hadn't dated, she'd been there for him.

"You must be Charlie; it's great to meet you. I heard you were back in the bay" Natalie said with a smile as she outstretched her hand, Charlie stared at her warily, unsure of the woman who would be talking with Shay. "Don't like counsellors do you?" Natalie asked and Charlie shook her head.

"No...I just don't trust them" Charlie admitted and Natalie nodded.

"I understand. Brax didn't trust me when I started working with Ruby and Casey, but believe me when I say I won't force Shay to speak to me. It must be her decision or it defeats the purpose"

"Nat!" Ruby called as she entered the room, wrapping her arms around the older woman. "It's great to see you, how was your holiday?"

Natalie hugged Ruby before pulling away. "Paris is interesting. How are you, feeling better?" Nat asked and Ruby nodded as she moved to stand by her mum.

"Much better, I actually wanted to talk to you"

Natalie tilted her head. "I think I have tomorrow lunch free, we could grab something to eat at the diner?"

"Sure. I'll meet you there" Ruby said as she noticed Shay walking into the room, she moved to stand by Brax with a suspicious expression.

Brax glanced down and wrapped his arm around the younger girls shoulder. "Shay, this is Natalie, you're going to spend some time with her" Brax told her.

Shay looked up and Natalie smiled. "Hi sweetie"

"You're here to make me talk about daddy" Shay said sadly and Natalie shook her head.

"No, I'm not going to make you talk about him" Natalie told her as she crouched down to her level. "We can talk about anything you want to talk about. I was thinking I could take you to get ice-cream?" Natalie asked as she glanced at Brax for the okay, he looked at Charlie who bit her lip but nodded. She knew she could trust Natalie, Brax and Ruby did.

"What do you say?" Natalie asked and Shay nodded slightly.

"Promise I don't have to speak about daddy, unless I want to?" Shay asked and Natalie nodded.

"I promise. We can talk about anything"

"Okay" Shay agreed.

^..^

Charlie turned to Brax as she shut the door; her face showed she was far from happy. Brax swallowed as he sat down on the couch.

"Did you date her?" Charlie asked point blank and Brax looked confused.

"No. I didn't date"

Charlie raised an eyebrow. "You kissed her cheek; you seemed to know her well"

Brax sighed. "Nat and I kissed, it was a while ago. She was counselling the kids and we got on great, we kissed once but she actually told me that we couldn't become anything because I was still in love with you. We are friends, I appreciate all the support she has given me and the kids. Charlie, I promise you, Nat and I were only ever just friends"

Charlie nodded slightly as she breathed a sigh of relief. "Okay, I believe you" Charlie said as she walked around the couch and put herself on his lap. "Sorry, I just didn't know what to think"

"It's fine, but if I had dated someone, I would have told you"

Charlie nodded in understanding. "You trust her with Shay?"

Brax nodded. "I'd trust Nat with anyone, she's loyal"

Charlie leaned in and kissed him. "I'm about to show you how loyal I am"

^..^

Shay sat down on the sand next to Natalie with her ice-cream in her hand, to her surprise she actually liked Natalie, she seemed friendly.

"Are you going to ask me questions?" Shay asked confused, she thought that was what they did, but Natalie hadn't asked any personal questions at all.

"Did you want me to?" Natalie asked as she glanced down. "What's your favourite colour?"

Shay shook her head. "Are you going to ask me about my dad?"

Natalie smiled. "Not unless you want to talk about him, have you been swimming before?"

Shay shook her head sadly. "Daddy didn't let Charlie out of the house so we stayed inside"

Natalie nodded, taking her que from the young girl. "Did you ever go outside with your dad?"

"Just a couple of times, Katie and Charlie had to stay home"

"Where did you go?" Natalie asked and Shay shrugged.

"We went to see Grandma and Grandad once, and the doctors" Shay told her.

Natalie could sense the girl's slight discomfort at the mention of the outings. "Are you okay?"

Shay glanced up. "Do you have to tell Charlie and Brax everything I say?"

Natalie shook her head. "No, what you tell me stays between us. Always. But if you want them to know something then I can tell them for you"

Shay nodded. "Can we talk about what my daddy told me when he took me from Brax's?"

^..^

Authors Note: Please Review! Let me know what you think.

Chapter Twenty Three:

Shay looked at Natalie with wide eyes as she took a deep breath. The thought of speaking about her dad terrified her but she knew Natalie had promised that she wouldn't tell anyone.

Like a secret.

"Shay if you're not ready then we don't have to talk about him yet" Natalie spoke as she noticed the change in the young girl's demeanour.

Shay shook her head. "I want to tell someone, daddy said mean things when he took me from Brax's house. Do you think Charlie loves me?"

Natalie smiled softly. "I think Charlie loves you with her whole heart"

Shay shrugged. "Daddy said she didn't cause I'm not her blood daughter"

Natalie shook her head softly, as she reached forward and tilted the younger girl's child up. "When your dad took you from Brax's I think he would have said a lot of things that weren't true, but one thing I know for certain is that Charlie loves you, your her daughter, no matter what anyone else says. Do you understand, sweetheart?"

"What did I do wrong to make daddy so angry, he didn't love me" Shay said innocently and Natalie rubbed her thumb across the girl's cheek.

"Your dad did a lot of bad things, but it was never your fault. You can never think that. Your dad is sick, sweetie, he needs help but no one can give it to him until he asks" Natalie murmured and Shay nodded slowly.

"Do you think he loves me, somewhere in his heart?" Shay asked and Natalie contemplated the answer, in most cases of abuse she'd dealt with the answer had always been complicated.

Natalie glanced down. "I won't lie to you, I don't know the answer to that Shay, only your father knows. But if it comforts you to think that somewhere in his heart he does then I want you to believe in that. But I want you to understand that causing you pain isn't how he should show love"

Shay nodded. "I know. Brax and Charlie show love, they hug and kiss Katie and even me. They play with us and cook for us, tuck us in at night and they even tell us they love us" Shay told her and Natalie smiled. "Is that how you show love?"

"Yes sweetie. Love is when someone listens to you, comforts you, helps you. You have all those things in Brax and Charlie"

Shay smiled shyly. "Do you think one day, Brax, will want to be my dad? Like he is Ruby's dad?"

Natalie wrapped her arm around Shay's shoulder and squeezed gently. "I think Brax would be one special guy if you were his daughter"

^..^

Ruby smiled as she watched Katie slurp at her strawberry milkshake. The pure fascination in the five year olds face made Ruby's heart saw and drop at the same time.

It shattered her heart to think of the pain her sisters, both of them had endured at Grant's hand. It pained her to know they didn't get to enjoy the simple treats in life, milkshakes, the beach, going out to dinner. And she hated to admit that she didn't want to be in their shoes, that she didn't want to know what it was like to live with a monster.

"Ruby?"

Ruby glanced across the table to see Katie looking at her with a curious expression. "Hmm?"

"What you thinkin' bout?" Katie asked and Ruby put on a brave smile.

"How silly you look with a pink beard" Ruby teased and Katie giggled as she wiped the area around her mouth. "That's better" Ruby commented. "You're beautiful"

Katie grinned. "Your more beautiful Ruby, you're like a princess"

Ruby smiled as she reached over and tickled the little girl causing her to break out in a fit of giggles. "You're the little princess, the most beautiful princess in the world"

"I love you Ruby, thank-you for bringing me here. I love my milkshake" Katie told her seriously and Ruby just grinned.

"I love you too, little sister, I love you more than anything in the world"

^..^

Charlie sat across from Natalie, her hand wrapped around Brax's tightly as they waited to hear how Shay went. Charlie was nervous; she wanted her baby to be okay, all her babies.

Natalie smiled. "I can't tell you much about our session, whatever Shay talks to me about is confidential" Natalie told them, Charlie couldn't keep the grimace that graced her features. "However, if Shay allows me to talk to you about a topic of her choosing I can. There are two things I want to talk to you about right now"

Brax nodded when Charlie didn't speak. "Is there something we should be worried about, Nat?"

Natalie shook her head. "You should feel very confident in your daughter, Charlie. She knows what love is and that what her father did to her wasn't love. She very aware that what he did was wrong"

Charlie smiled weakly. "That's good, I'm glad. I don't want her thinking that how people should act"

Natalie smiled softly. "She knows that isn't how people should act, she's intelligent. You taught her how to love. Brax the last couple of nights tucking her into bed, your teaching what love is as well. This brings us to my next topic. Shay hopes that one day, you will want to be her dad like you are to Ruby"

Charlie looked at Brax, she could see the hint of a smile forming on his face and she couldn't help but sigh in relief that he wasn't about to lash out. "Brax?"

"I want nothing more than to be that girl's father"

^..^

Authors Note: Please Review! Let me know what you think.

Chapter Twenty Four:

Charlie woke up to a slight pain in her abdomen, moaning softly she rolled over onto her other side, trying to cuddle into Brax although her bump was in the way slightly. After a moment she opened her eyes and huffed, for the past two months she'd been putting up with cramps in her leg and unable to sleep or get uncomfortable.

Sighing she slowly swung her legs over the bed and moved from the bedroom to the kitchen, pouring some hot water into the kettle. Running her hand along her stomach, she sighed as another slight ache struck. Charlie glanced down looking at her stomach she realised she hadn't felt the baby kick in a little while, putting pressure with the heel of her right hand against the side of her stomach, she felt no moment.

"Must be sleeping, baby girl" Charlie murmured to herself as another dull pain ran across her stomach. "Oww" Charlie moaned to herself.

"Mummy!"

Charlie spun around at the noise to see Katie walking into the room with Ruby who was still rubbing the sleep from her eye. "Morning baby, morning Rubes" Charlie whispered as she moaned.

Ruby raised her eyebrow. "Mum, you okay?" Ruby asked as she moved forward, dropping Katie's hand.

"Oooh, um...Ruby get your dad. I think the baby is coming" Charlie moaned as she gripped the kitchen counter. "Oh yep, the baby is coming"

^..^

Charlie clutched at Brax's hand tightly, almost cutting off circulation as she groaned from the pain of yet another contraction. Charlie couldn't believe how fast it was happening, with Ruby she's had a C-section but Katie had been an eleven hour labour. Taking in a deep breath she groaned, it had been a little over two hours; she couldn't process the amount of pain she was feeling.

Brax smiled as he leaned down and brushed the strand of brown hair away from her eyes, kissing her temple to calm her as it usually did.

"Don't Brax!" Charlie moaned as she pushed his hand away.

Her hair was matting to her face from sweat, her eyes blood shot and tears about to escape as another contraction hit.

"How are you going, Charlie? How are you feeling?" Dr Nate Cooper asked as he looked up at her.

Charlie huffed. "Not good. Oh god...get her out of me. It hurts" Charlie whined as she tried to draw in a deep breath. "Owwwww"

"You're doing great baby, not long now until our little girl joins the world" Brax encouraged and Charlie stared at him.

"Stop being so damn happy, oh god. I don't wanna do this anymore" Charlie moaned.

Brax grinned as he leaned down and kissed her forehead. "I know baby, I know. But you can do this. Charlie your about to bring our daughter into the world. Our little Bailey"

Charlie just whimpered as she gripped his hand with her right hand, and used her left to support herself of the bed.

"Okay Charlie, when the next contraction hits I want you to push, push and push as hard as you can okay?" Nate asked and Charlie moaned as the tightening could be felt yet again.

"Owwwwwwww!" Charlie groaned as she pushed.

"Come on Charlie one more, a big one"

"Ahhhhhhh" Charlie moaned as she heard the cries of her baby girl, the screeching sounded perfect to her.

"Here we go, a girl" Nate said as he handed the baby over to the nurse to be cleaned a little.

Charlie sighed as she leaned back against the pillows absolutely exhausted. Brax grinned as he leaned down from above her, kissing her softly, pouring all kinds of love into the kiss.

"You did it, you brought our little girl into the world" Brax said as he kissed her forehead. "I love you"

"I love you too, Brax" Charlie said as Nate place her daughter onto her chest. "My beautiful little girl. Hi Bailey, I'm your mummy and this is your daddy. Welcome to the world, sweetheart"

Nate smiled at the small family in front of him, meeting Brax's eye he nodded. "Would you like the paternity test?" Nate asked.

Brax glanced at Charlie; she was looking at the baby with such love. "Yes, we still want one. Charlie remember that no matter what the results it won't change anything. I'll love Bailey as my own, just as I love Ruby and Shay. I will love her as much as I love all our daughters, all three of them"

Charlie nodded through her tears. "Good because she's already your daughter in every sense"

^..^

Ruby bounced into the room pulling Shay and Katie behind her, half dragging them as they couldn't keep up with her.

"So, how is she? Let me see her, I want to hold her" Ruby demanded as she let go of Shay and Katie's hands and approached the bed where her mum was cradling the newborn baby.

"She is prefect" Charlie told her teenage daughter as she moved the blanket so Ruby could see.

"There are my girls" Brax said as he walked into the room with a bag of hot food for Charlie, he put the bag down and scooped Shay and Katie up into his arms kissing them on the cheeks.

Katie squealed. "Daaadddy"

Shay smiled as Brax put them back down and ruffed their hair. "Hi Brax"

Brax grinned at her as he gestured to the baby. "Have you met your little sister? Bailey is a beautiful little girl"

Katie bounced over to Ruby who lifted her up on the bed to sit next to Charlie. "She is a pretty baby" Katie exclaimed.

Shay looked up at Brax; her eyes were full with sorrow, so Brax grabbed her hand and pulled her onto his lap as he sat on the chair beside Charlie's bed. "You know, Natalie told me something. She told me that you want me to be your dad? Is that something you want?"

Shay looked at him shyly and nodded. "Yes"

Brax grinned. "Good, I want you to be my daughter to. So if you want you can call me dad"

Shay looked up at him with hopeful eyes. "Really?"

Brax nodded as he pulled her in for a tight hug and kissed her forehead. "Yes, ladybug. I want you to call me dad. I love you"

Shay smiled innocently, as though she wasn't sure of the words but she spoke them anyway. "I love you too, dad"

Charlie sobbed from her spot on the bed and Ruby laughed. "Mum, don't ruin the moment by crying"

Charlie looked at her as she frantically started to wipe her tears away. "I can't help it…I…it's just perfect" Charlie hiccupped.

Brax grinned as he lifted Shay up on the bed so she could look at Bailey. "It's our family Charlie" Brax said as he kissed her forehead.

Ruby looked at him. "Do you know who the father is yet?"

Brax shook his head. "The results aren't…oh hey Doc"

Nate smiled. "The results are back, I had a rush put on them. Are you ready?"

Charlie glanced up and took a hold of Brax's hand. "Yes"

Nate glanced down and looked at the second sheet of paper. "The father of Bailey is…"

^..^

Authors Note: Let me know what you think.

Can you guess who the father will be?

Archived