Torn

Guest Melbelle94

Chapter Eight:

Charlie stared at the door frozen in shock, she didn't know how to react inside she was terrifed but that wasn't something she could show not when he was standing in the doorway with a cocky expression. Brax was staring at her with a raised eyebrow - he had heard the gasp but was unsure of what was going on. Charlie wished for a moment that she had at least told him what Grant looked like.

"Sorry mate but I think you must have the wrong house" Brax said and Grant shook his head.

"No, this is the right house. I want my daughter, Shay"

Charlie choked back a sob as she heard what he had to say, didn't expect him to want Shay. What she did know was what game he was currently playing because she knew he wouldn't let her go that easily.

"I think you should leave" Brax's voice dropped to a low tone but Grant shook his head.

"I don't think so. Charlie has no legal rights to my daughter, so you have about a minute to give her to me or I'll call the police" Grant smirked and Charlie cringed.

Grant had friend within the police force and law career. She knew he'd find a way to make sure know one believed her about the kidnapping or the abuse.

"Leave" Brax said forcefully but Grant cocked his head to the side.

"You have no idea what I'm capable of. Give me my daughter or I go after Ruby, I'm assuming she's mine correct Charlie. So make your choice"

Charlie trembled she didn't know how to choose, she couldn't. Ruby was her daughter biologically but she loved Shay just as much.

Charlie stood still her mind going round and round as Brax took a step towards Grant.

"You best get outta here before I kill you - you have no right to lay a hand on anyone of them. Get lost before I rid of you permanently" Brax threatened but Grant just laughed.

"Try me, I could have you dead or in prison before you could even get close to me" Grant spat as he lookedover at Charlie with a cocky grin. "Have you made your choice?"

Charlie sobbed - she couldn't make a choice they were her childrenbut if she didn't things would be so much worse. Brax could threaten Grant all he liked but Charlie knew of the things Grant could do, she didn't want to cause any harm to Brax - not after all these years. She couldn't bare to think that because she turned u on Brax's doorstep that she had suddenly brought him such harm.

"I'll go Charlie"

Charlie spun around on her heals to see Shay standing nervously and Charlie's heart sunk.

"No, you don't have to. I am not going to let him take you" Charlie said softly and Grant chuckled.

"You really don't have a choice" Grant taunted - Brax grunted as he raised his fist, Grant just stepped back. "Really want to try that? Do you really want my daughter in your house? Remember she has none of Charlie in her, she is solely mine" Grant said as he looked over at Shay with a smirk.

"Shay, you don't have to do this. We will find another way, I don't want you leaving with him" Charlie stressed but Shay showed no emotion - her face was masked just as it had been when Charlie first met her.

"I'll be okay, and you have Katie and Ruby" Shay said softly as she moved forward - her eyes caught Brax's as she got to the doorway and he shook his head softly.

"You don't have to go, you can stay here and I'll protect you" Brax promised but Shay shook her head.

"I heard you shouting, you don't like but that's okay. I can protect Charlie now" Shay said confidently as Grant grabbed her arm hauling her out the door, Shay whimpered before she shut her mouth tightly knowing it would make him angry.

"Let's go brat"

"Mummy, where is Shay going?" Katie whimpered - her eyes were wide with fear as she looked at Grant.

"I'll see you soon Katie" Grant taunted as he ducked the swing Brax took at him chuckling Grant hauled Shay away by her arm.

Charlie cried as Brax shut and locked the front door - tears flowing down her cheeks as she clung to Katie, the little girl was in her own puddle of tears.

"Mummy, Shay come back puhlease?" Katie sobbed and Charlie's body shook.

She knew deep down she had no choice in the matter, that Grant had come for the sole purpose of taking Shay and he would have got her but Charlie knew she wouldn't be ale to letthis go until Shay was safely back in her arms. The things Grant would do to her made Charlie shutter, she could only imagine.

"Mummy, my Shay" Katie sobbed and Charlie ran a hand through her hair.

"I know baby, I know. We'll get Shay back" Charlie vowed as the back door swung open - Katie screamed.

"It's only me" Ruby said calmly as she walked into the living room. "What's wrong?" The panic started to rise in Ruby's voice. "Dad?"

"Grant was here, he's taken Shay" Brax told her and Ruby's mouth gaped.

"He was here? How could you let him take her" Ruby demanded and Brax held his hand up.

"We didn't really have any choice, he was right - your mother has no legal rights and if the police turned up here then your mother would be arrested and he still would have taken Shay" Brax explained and Ruby shook her head.

"We have to get her back" Charlie murmured.

"Please daddy, he'll hurt my Shay" Katie cried and Brax nodded.

True to the fact he wasn't to fond of Shay yet, he was still trying to work out where to place here. Still trying to move past the fact that she helped kidnap the love of his life but as he listened to his little girl sob - well he knew he couldn't leave Shay alone with Grant not if it was putting her well being at risk.

"We'll get her back" Brax vowed.

^..^

Shay sat cuddled up in the corner of the hotel room on the floor - her hand held her bright red cheek trying to sooth the pain.

"It will only be a matter of time before Charlotte comes for you - why she'd ever love you is beyond me but at least you'll be useful for capturing her once again" Grant said as he paced the room in front of her.

^..^

Please comment.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter Nine:

Charlie sat on the couch with tears streaming down her cheeks, Katie slept beside her with a blaket tucked up to her chin. Two days and Katie had barely left a side, simply waking and crying for Shay. Charlie had barely slept herself, she was sitting motionlessly a part of her felt guilty that she had let Shay go especially since the ten year old had said she was going so she could protect Charlie.

"Babe"

Charlie turned her head slightly wiping the tears away as she glanced at Brax, he stood before her in nothing but pyjama pants that hung loosely around his hips but Charlie couldn't bring herself to smile at his bare chest.

"Why don't you come to bed?" Brax asked and Charlie shook her head.

"I can't, all think I can think about is what he is doing to her. I can't forgive myself for letting her go" Charlie sobbed and Brax stepped forward crouching down to her height.

"You didn't have a choice" Brax said softly and Charlie shook her head.

"When I first got in the house Shay would hide out in her room day and night, she would cry herself sleep. Brax she wouldn't speak to me out fear. That is what she's gone back to - a man that will yell and hit her at any turn" Charlie sobbed and Brax sighed - she was opening up to him but this wasn't how he thought it would happen.

"Did he hit you and Katie?" Brax asked softly and Charlie nodded through her tears.

"Not at first, at first I was pregnant so he didn't touch me but if I did something to anger him then he would take it out on Shay. I was the cause of her first broken arm and her first broken leg" Charlie whimpered and Brax felt a pang of guilt surface.

Brax had been angry because Shay had had a part in Charlie's kidnapping because it was her father that abused Charlie, but listening to Charlie talk about her Brax couldn't help but see her for just a ten year old girl. A scared girl.

"Charlie..." Brax started but Charlie was quick to cut him off.

"When Katie was born that's when he started on me but he didn't touch her because she was a baby. Shay still copped it the hardest, it was for little things - she wasn't quiet enough, didn't pick up her toys, if she made Katie cry" Charlie shook her head. "When he started on Katie, well Shay used to jump in front of her or take the blame for things Katie would do. I tried to protect them but sometimes I wasn't enough" Charlie said as the tears ran down her face pooling in her hands.

"Oh baby" Brax murmured softly as he pulled her into his arms, kissing her softly on the head.

"We have to get her back Brax"

"We will baby, I promise you"

"How can you promise that Brax?" Charlie asked through her sobs.

"Charlie, I will do anything for you." Brax promised.

"How are we going to get her out of there?" Charlie asked.

"I'll call Heath, the boys if I have to. You want her out Charlie and I will do that for you, okay? How about we get some sleep or you'll be tired in the morning and Katie needs you" Brax said softly and Charlie tried to dry her eyes as she nodded.

"Okay, thank-you Brax"

^..^

Brax and Heath stood together in the kitchen watching Charlie as she cuddled with Katie, Brax knew he had no other choice then to find Shay as quickly as possible to make his girl happy again.

"Are you sure that this is a good idea bro?" Heath asked.

"I have no choice Heath, she wants Shay back and to be honest I couldn't live with myself if I left her there. She's a defenceless child, how would you feel if it was Darcy?" Brax asked and Heath shook his head.

"I see your point but this is like starting a war. Grant isn't going to just us take her"

"I know that but I promised Charlie, so we are just going to have to find away"

"Brax?" Charlie murmured as she stepped into the kitchen, both Heath and Brax looked up quickly. "He sent me a text"

"What does it say?" Brax asked as he moved quickly over to Charlie - he could see the tears in her eyes.

- Poor little Shay is missing her mummy, the bruises will fade not sure about the broken leg I might give her. Come back and this won't have to happen. Grant.

^..^

Grant grinned at Shay with as though he had won a prize but the young girl sat quietly on the bed her knees huddled to her chest as the silent tears leaked down her cheeks. The bruises on her arms and legs were starting to darken and hurt a little when she accidently touched them - Shay was terrified that he would act on his threat to break her leg. She didn't think she could handle that pain.

"Your mother will be coming home soon, she claims to have a heart so I am betting she won't want me to break your leg but will we have to wait and see. I don't see why she could care about you, your not even her child" Grant sneered and Shay choked back a sob - she knew her father was right. She wasn't Charlie's child, not biologically so maybe she wouldn't be saved.

^..^

"So that's the plan, Charlie you will text Grant and ask where you are to meet him and Shay. But make no mention of Katie. Heath and I will go in your place and grab her, we will bring her back here and together we will deal with Grant as a family" Brax said as he wrapped his arms around her.

"What will happen if he won't give up the location?"

"He will" Brax promised. "Send the text"

^..^

Authors Note; Please Review! Let me know what you think.

Chapter Ten:

"Are you sure this is going to work?" Charlie asked worriedly as she stood in the middle of the living room biting her fingernail.

Brax looked at Charlie. "How many times are you going to ask me that? It's going to work, Charlie" Brax promised her as he handed her the phone. "Text him"

Charlie hesitated for a moment before she brought up the screen.

- Don't hurt her please Grant, I'll come home. Where are you and Shay?

Charlie bit her bottom lip as her finger hovered over the send button. She knew she had no choice if she didn't send the text then she would never gete Shay back, back in her arms where she belonged. Slowly she lowered her finger and pressed the send button.

"Done" Charlie whispered as she looked up at Brax who gave her a comforting smile.

"This will work Charlie" Brax promised as he heard the phone beep with a reply.

- Good, you came to your senses. Room 301 at the Sands. You have 20 minutes - no Katie Charlie. I do not want that brat understood? See you soon babe.

"You ready to go?" Brax asked as he glance over at Heath, he didn't show the text to Charlie but the anger he felt at his daughter being called a brat was fuel to the fire that was burning within Brax.

"Yeah, lets get this over with" Heath said as he headed towards the door.

"I promise you when I come back through that door Shay will be with me" Brax promised as he leaned down and kissed her head. "I love you, lock the doors and if you need anything call Kyle understood?" Brax asked and Charlie nodded, tears were welling in her eyes.

"I love you too, be careful"

^..^

"As ready as I'll every be, how you wanna play this?" Heath asked and Brax shrug.

"I knock, we barge in. You hit him down and I grab Shay. We get back out here and leave - good?" Brax asked and Heath nodded.

"Alright, lets do this thing"

Standing in front of the hotel room door Heath knocked as lightly as possible so he seemed like Charlie, he could hear the sound of faint cries coming from in the room.

"One, two-" Brax mouthed at Heath before they both barged at the door. The door shattered into splinters from the brute force that Heath and Brax had used.

"What the ****?!" Grant shouted as he turned around his face red with anger as he eyes widened at the sight of Brax and Heath, Shay cowered in the corner of the room her body racking with sobs.

Brax ran over to Shay and scooped up the sobbing girl while Heath punched Grant square in the face.

"You stay away from them." Heath hissed in a low tone as he pushed Grant down on the ground.

"She's my daughter" Grant shouted as he went to stand up but Heath shoved a foot into his chest.

"She's not your daughter!" Brax shouted at him as he hugged Shay close. "Fathers don't treat there daughters this way!"

"You stay away! I don't want to see you ever again" Heath hissed lowly.

"Stay away!" Brax said his voice a dangerous low as he watched Heath land another square hit to Grant's jaw. Shay flinched in his arms, hiding her face in his chest.

"Make it stop." Shay cried to Brax as her tiny fists beat on his chest. "Please, please make it stop" Shay pleaded and Brax sighed as he felt her tears on his chest.

"Heath! Let it go" Brax said as he headed out the door with Shay clinging to him.

Heath kicked an unconscious Grant one more time before following Brax and Shay out the door.

^..^

Charlie paced and paced back and forth across the living room floor. Katie sat on Ruby's lap watching her mother with curiousity.

"Mummy?" Katie questioned. "Where's Daddy and Uncle Heath gone?"

Charlie cringed as she heard Katie's voice, how could she answer that?

"Gone to get Shay" Ruby told her softly as she watched her mother pace.

"Where is Shay?" Katie questioned as she looked up at Ruby innocently and Charlie froze in the sadness and panic Charlie hadn't told Katie exactly where Shay was.

"Ruby, where is she?"

"Katie honey, uh...Shay is with Grant" Charlie said softly knowing she couldn't lie to her daughter.

"She's with the evil man?" Katie questioned, beginning to cry. "Why is she with him?"

Charlie quickly walked over to Katie and scooped her up into her arms.

"Shay is coming home baby I promise, that's where you daddy and Uncle went" Charlie told her as she rocked her little girl.

"I want Shay!" Katie demanded through her tears.

"Here she is" Brax murmured as he walked through the front door, Heath followed with Shay curled in his arms. The young girl had bruises on her arms and legs, her hair matted to her face and tear stained cheeks.

"Oh my god." Charlie froze when she saw Shay, her heart shattering into a million pieces. She couldn't even perceive the fact that Grant would inflict that on a young girl. "I am so sorry, Shay."

Shay stared at Charlie, flinching when she stepped closer. The young girl couldn't help but remember what her father had said - she wasn't Charlie's daughter.

"Oh baby, what did he do to you?" Charlie murmured as she placed a squirming Katie on the ground as Heath laid Shay on the couch, the young girl whimpered as he brushed her arm.

"My Shay!" Katie squealed as she wiped her tears away.

Shay looked at Katie, the girl that wasn't even her biological sister before sadly turning away.

"Don't. Don't make a fuss of me." Shay murmured as Charlie began to cry.

"Shay" Charlie choked but Shay's body shook softly.

"No" Shay muttered as the front door opened and Kyle, Casey and Tamara walked in from work freezing when they saw Shay with her head down. Everyone was silent and watching the girl with sadness and pity.

"Shay, your home" Tamara said softly realising she wouldn't like loud noises. Shay had taken well to her when they met, Kyle as well. Katie had been all over Brax while Shay had kept her distance.

"Shay, let me take care of you." Charlie begged and Shay shook her head.

"No." Shay cried. "Just no, no, no" Shay said as she crawled off the couch and hurried past everyone and into Kyle's room shutting the door firmly, her sobs could be heard in the living room.

Charlie cried aoftly to herself as Brax took her into my arms.

"Why's my Shay mad? Why mummy?" Katie asked tugging firmly on Charlie's shirt.

"She hates me" Charlie cried. "I never should have let her go. My daughter hates me" Charlie sobbed as she scooped Katie up again and held her to her chest sobbing loudly as she thought about how sad Shay looked.

^..^

Please comment

Chapter Eleven:

Charlie stood in the doorway of the bedroom staring at Shay as the young girl slept restlessly beside Katie, the blankets were pulled up to her chin as she laid on her side hugging her pillow tight. Charlie couldn't help the tears that came rushing to her eyes as she looked at the bruises, she couldn't help but feel as though she had failed Shay.

The guilt was indescribable; she didn't understand why or how she had let the ten year old go. She didn't know why she didn't hold her back.

"Charlie, Charlie baby come back to bed" Brax whispered as his arms wound around her waist pulling her back into him, Charlie choked back a sob that was threatening to escape her mouth as she glanced up at Brax with tearful eyes.

"I can't, I just need to stay I need to watch her" Charlie said softly, she couldn't bring herself to leave Shay she couldn't bring herself to look away for more than a few seconds.

The fears were in the back of her mind, what would she do if he came back? Would Shay scream for help or would see simply go with him? Charlie didn't think she could handle waking up to find Shay gone, not when she knew who would take her.

"She'll be fine Charlie" Brax said as he leaned down to kiss her cheek but Charlie shook her head.

"I just can't risk it Brax, she's just a little girl. He's her father no matter what he's done, I can't stand the thought of him coming back for her" Charlie whispered as she gripped his arm a little tighter as the light headed feeling came rushing into her body once more.

"Charlie, what's wrong?" Brax asked her, concerned.

"Nothing, nothing is wrong" Charlie murmured but it sounded as though she was trying to convince herself.

"Okay, Charlie something is wrong" Brax said as he felt her sway a little in his arms before her eyes rolled backwards and her body went limp in his arms. "Charlie?!" Brax questioned anxiously, his voice waking Shay from her slumber.

"Charlie? What's wrong with Charlie?" Shay whimpered as she looked at Brax with wide sleepily eyes.

Brax looked down at Charlie concerned as he scooped her up into his arms, he was taken back slightly by Shay speaking as she had barely said more than two words since she stepped back into the house, but he could see he panic sketched in her features.

"Nothing, nothing. Charlie is just sleeping" Brax said as he tried to assess the woman in his arms. "Go back to sleep Shay" Brax muttered as he hurried out of the room. "Come on Charlie, wake up" Brax pleaded as he laid Charlie down on the couch immediately checking for a pulse, it was their but she was out cold. "Geez Charlie, what is going on?" Brax muttered as he reached for the phone, he needed Nate the doctor had to check her over.

^..^

Brax sat by her head checking her pulse every few minutes as he waited for Nate to come hurrying through the door, he checked his watch again and again as the minutes went by.

Hearing footsteps his head shot up only to see Shay standing nervously looking at Charlie, Brax's eyes were filled with sadness.

Over the past days he had come to the conclusion that he couldn't place the blame on Shay for his father's actions, he wanted to talk to her and make her see that she had a place within the family if she wanted it but she just wouldn't come out of the room she wouldn't see anyway.

"Shay, sweetheart go back to bed" Brax said as he went to stand up, Charlie would never forgive him if he left Shay stand and watch her as she laid motionless.

"Is Charlie okay?" Shay asked quietly and Brax found himself nodding before he could think.

"Yes Charlie is fine, just sleeping" Brax said and Shay looked up at Brax he could tell that she knew he was lying to her.

"No she isn't, Charlie fainted" Shay said innocently and Brax realised he hadn't given the ten year old enough credit, for how quiet she was she was bound to be smart.

"Yeah, she did"

"Is Charlie having a baby?" Shay asked with her head tilted slightly and Brax frowned, the question seemed random to him he didn't understand why Shay would expect such a thing.

"Why do you ask that?" Brax asked as he managed to find his voice and Shay looked back at Charlie.

"We aren't allowed to talk about it" Shay said softly and Brax knelt down to her height as he glanced at Charlie quickly to make sure she was still breathing, satisfied she was breathing he turned back to Shay.

"Sweetheart, I need you to tell me" Brax said in a calming voice as he gave Shay a weak smile. "You won't be in trouble, I promise" Brax said and Shay nodded slightly understanding what he was saying; he was trying to convey that no matter what he wouldn't hit her.

"Charlie fainted when she was pregnant" Shay said softly and Brax raised an eyebrow.

"With Katie?" Brax asked he knew Shay had only been five herself and wasn't sure if that was such a reliable source of information from someone so young.

"No, when she was pregnant with my brother" Shay said Brax tried to keep his emotions in check as he stared at the young girl he didn't want to scare her.

He needed Shay to believe that he already knew about the boy, a boy? Brax couldn't believe that Charlie had been pregnant before. She had said nothing but then to him it was clear she hadn't been telling them everything, she hadn't gone into any detail about her time with Grant.

"Your brother" Brax murmured softly and Shay nodded.

"Uh huh, he is with the angels cause daddy was really nasty" Shay whispered and Brax could see the tears in the young girls eyes he wanted to comfort her and he really had no choice as she jumped into his arms when the front door opened.

"Brax?" Nate asked as he watched the way Brax hugged the young girl close to him, his eyes drifted towards Charlie who was lying unconscious on the couch and then back to Brax.

"Nate! Thank-god you're here, I need you to find out if Charlie's pregnant"

^..^

Please comment

Archived