Torn

Guest Melbelle94

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter Fifteen:

Brax smiled down at Katie as she climbed up onto his lap, a doll in her hands, the love he felt for her since he first saw her in Charlie's arms on the doorstep was unbelievable. Brax had never that so much love for one person, one child was possible.

"Daddy, are you listening?"

Brax glanced down and saw Katie staring at him with wide eyes; they were searching his face for something.

"What were you saying, honey?" Brax asked and Katie frowned, it caused Ruby to giggle from the arm chair at the serious look on her sister's face.

"Daddy!" Katie exclaimed and Brax smiled at her, the confidence in the five year old was building, it was what he wanted, for her to feel at home. "Listen, I am going to school soon and dolly's going with me, mummy said so"

Brax nodded his head thoughtfully. "Is dolly going to be in your class?" Brax asked and Katie nodded.

"Yes, can we buy her a backpack? Like my pink one, pleeeeeasssse!" Katie asked as she waved her doll is Brax's face; he just took it in his hands.

"Oh, I don't know, would I be able to find a backpack small enough?" Brax teased and Katie grinned.

"You can make one!" Katie exclaimed. "Mama, made Connor booties. You can make dolly a bag" Katie told him and Brax frowned, but he didn't have a chance to speak because Ruby voiced her opinion first.

"Katie, who's Connor?" Ruby asked and Katie tensed on Brax's lap.

"We not allowed to talk about it" Katie said quietly, Brax figured it was her brother but he hadn't told Charlie what Shay had told him, he wanted her to come to him first.

"It's okay Katie, you can tell us. I'm your big sister and he's our dad, we can keep a secret" Ruby promised and Katie frowned.

"Connor is my brother"

Ruby gasped as she looked at Katie, a brother? She hadn't expected that she would have a brother. "Where is Connor?" Ruby asked and Katie fidgeted.

"In heaven"

"Baby, I'm sorry" Brax whispered against her hair and Katie felt a tear rolling down her cheek but she quickly wiped it away.

"Mama doesn't like to talk about it" Katie told them as she looked at Ruby. "He got really mad and pushed mummy, Shay tried to protect hershe did daddy, I promise, I'm not lying" Katie pleaded with him to understand and Brax found himself nodding.

"I know, I know" Brax repeated as he glanced at Ruby, he didn't understand what his daughter meant by Shay tried.

"But he pushed her out the way and Shay screamed at him, mummy was crying to and I cried, it was bad and he got mad at me" Katie sobbed, Brax was going to stop her, tell her she didn't need to speak about it but she kept talking. "He was gonna punish me but my Shay save me, she screamed at her daddy and he got even more mad, Shay said that I wasn't his kid and he couldn't touch me, but he punished me all the time daddy"

"That was wrong of him Katie, he was a bad man. You didn't do anything wrong, you can cry whenever you want and I will give you cuddles and kisses" Brax said as he kissed her head, but Katie ignored him.

"He yelled at Shay, he said she was a bad girl, he said she was a mistake. He grabbed her daddy, he threw her onto the floor, he told me I wasn't allowed to throw my toys but he did it to Shay. She cried and mummy screamed but he didn't listen, he was nasty daddy he hit Shay lots of times and made her bleed, he used his belt" Katie said and Ruby gasped as she looked at her younger sister.

"Did he use the belt on you?" Ruby asked and Katie looked confused for a moment before shaking her head.

"No. No. He didn't do that to me, he just hit me, he was mean to Shay, he said she was the most naughty" Katie told them as she raised her doll up in the air. "Shay said to me that he locked her in a dark room before mummy came. But mummy helped cause she saved her, but he was still nasty, he hurt my Shay lots. She wasn't allowed to eat sometimes but I was, he said it cause she wasn't mummy's baby. He didn't like me either but he said I could eat cause I had mummy's blood" Katie said and Ruby nodded.

"What happened to Connor, Katie?" Ruby asked again as she listened to her sisters story.

"He died" Katie said as she looked at Ruby with innocent eyes. "He punched mummy in the tummy, lots. I saw Connor!" Katie announced and Ruby looked at Brax with a frown.

"How did you see Connor?" Brax asked his little girl and Katie smiled.

"Cause mummy had him in a blanky and Shay and me got to hold him, he was pretty but then they took him away" Katie said sadly as she leaned into Brax. "I miss Connor; I miss my Shay and mummy. When is mummy coming home?" Katie asked sadly and Brax hugged her tightly as Ruby came over to join them.

"Soon baby, mummy is coming home soon" Brax promised.

^..^

Charlie followed behind Heath as he carried Shay into Irene and Bianca's house, she was nervous she hadn't seen her best friend since her return, it was scary, the thought of how Bianca would react but Shay was more important at the present time.

"Hey babe" Heath said as he placed Shay on the couch but she didn't let go of him.

"Hey, who is this little lady? Not another one of your children, Heath Braxton!" Bianca reprimanded him, Heath just smirked as he looked down at Shay, and she was smiling at him shyly.

"Nope, not mine babe. This is Shay, why don't you meet her mother" Heath said with a wink as Bianca turned around and gasped.

"Charlie?"

^..^

Authors Note: Please Review! Let me know what you think.

Chapter Sixteen:

Charlie watched Bianca carefully, staring at her as the tears rolled down her cheeks. Charlie knew she should have seen Bianca earlier, come over to reassure her best friend that she was still alive an well instead she had asked even Heath to keep it a secret not wanting everyone in the town to know and suddenly appear at the door.

"Charlie" Bianca whispered softly, Charlie gave her a weak smile as the fiery blonde hurried over to her and hugged her fiercely.

"Bi, I missed you"

"I missed you, Charlie. Your back" Bianca said and Charlie nodded into her friends shoulder. "What is going on? You have a daughteryou haven't been gone that long"

Charlie shifted nervously. "It's a long story but I promise to explain it to you later"

Bianca trusted her friend so she nodded. 'Okay. What do I need to know then?"

"I was kidnapped by Grant, Shay is his daughter. Brax is having a hard time accepting her, both he and Ruby said something's and it really hurt her feelings. Shay's sensitive. I don't know how I'm going to get her back in that house"

Bianca pattered her friends arm. "Sounds like you need to speak to Brax and Ruby"

"Brax is comparing her to Katie and Ruby, this baby. How do I make him see Shay, just Shay, not Grant or anything that's happened?"

Bianca led Charlie to the dining table and got her a glass of water. "Who is Katie? Did you say baby?"

Charlie sighed. "Katie is my daughter to Brax; I was pregnant when I was kidnapped. This baby" Charlie rested her hands on her stomach and sighed. "This baby could be either. Bianca, what do I do?"

Bianca took her friends hand in hers. "Talk to Brax and Ruby, Shay can stay as long as needed. Don't think you'll be able to make her leave anyway"

Charlie glanced over to see Shay curled up on the couch tucked under Heath's arm watching him play Xbox.

"I have to put her and Katie first, Ruby as well but I just"

"Charlie, I understand. Talk to Brax first, tell him how you feel"

"Charlz, you can go, we'll take care of Shay" Heath called out but Charlie looked hesitant. "Come on, I'm not going to corrupt my niece" He teased.

Charlie smiled as he referred to her as his niece. His family.

"Shay, you going to be okay with me and your Aunt Bianca?" Heath asked and Shay nodded as she snuggled in closer. "See Charlie? Now go knock some sense into my brother and other niece"

^..^

Charlie walked through the front door and was attacked by a little pair of arms surrounding her waist.

"Mummy!" Katie exclaimed excitedly causing Charlie to smile as she picked the five year old up. "Me missed you"

"I missed you too baby" Charlie said as she kissed her daughters forehead, glancing at Ruby and Brax. "Katie, can you go play in your room. Mummy needs to talk to daddy and Ruby"

"Can I play with my Shay?" Katie asked and Charlie looked confused.

"Shay isn't here sweetheart"

"Yeah, daddy said she was in the room and I wasn't loud to disurd her"

"Allowed to disturb" Charlie said correcting her out of habit. "Shay's with Uncle Heath, go and play baby" Charlie said calmly but the anger was rising, it was clear they hadn't thought to check on Shay. If she had been in the house they wouldn't have noticed.

"Shay's with Heath?" Brax asked and it summoned a glare only an overprotective mother would have.

"We've lived in this house for five weeks Brax, five long weeks. How could you not think to check on her?" Charlie asked loudly.

"She's ten mum, don't blame dad" Ruby said as she jumped to Brax's defence.

"Exactly Ruby, she's ten. Ten years old. You want to know where I've been? I've been looking for her, you hurt her feeling, the things you said this morning" Charlie took a deep breath, looking at Brax with hard eyes. "When we first came back I told you, I warned you if you can't except Shay then we'll leave she's my daughter. For five years I've raised her, loved her, I will not have you hurting her, not when Grant's already broken her"

"Mum?"

"No Ruby, you've both excepted Katie. You love her. You don't know how bad it was for me, for Katie. Brax just imagine that, imagine that ten times worse and that's what Shay endured. You're hurting a child, that's not you Brax, it's not you either Ruby. Why can't you accept her?" Charlie asked and Brax sighed as he rubbed his head.

"Because she isn't yours" Brax whispered and Charlie frowned.

"Because she's a reminder of Grant" Ruby told her and Charlie shook her head.

"Being Grants daughter doesn't define who Shay is. It doesn't define who you are Ruby and it won't define this baby, it if turns out to be his child! How many years would I have to let Shay suffer through another home with people, who don't accept her, don't love her? How many years before she would leave me"

"Charlie"

"No Brax, no! She's my daughter" Charlie cried.

"No, she isn't. I am! Katie is, that baby will be your child and Connor was your son, my brother. Shay is not your child!" Ruby shouted, Charlie froze as she stared at Ruby.

"Connor" Charlie choked and Ruby let the guilt flash across her face. "Who told you about Connor?"

"Katie" Brax told her and Charlie shook her head.

"If you knew what happened that night, you'd welcome Shay with open arms"

"Katie told us" Ruby muttered and Charlie shook her head.

"Katie doesn't know the full story" Charlie muttered.

"What is the full story?" Brax asked.

"It's nothing that you need to concern yourself with; I won't put those images in your head"

"Charlie"

"No Brax, no. I came back here for one reason, to understand what you have against Shay. I know now and if you can't accept her then I'm leaving"

^..^

I feel sorry for Shay - she's a little girl who has been though a lot in her life. It shouldn't matter who her father is, who her mother is, she's a child and Charlie has taken her into her heart and has been a mother to her. Brax and Ruby need to see that!

Laura

Chapter Seventeen:

Brax sat in the arm chair, watching as Shay slept peacefully on the couch, a blanket tucked up to her chin. He was aware he was being watched from the kitchen, his brother had been determined to stay. Brax was thankful, but also felt as though they didn't trust him. He didn't want to hurt Shay; he just wasn't sure how he felt about her.

It had been different with Ruby, and if the baby was Grant's if would be different to, because they each had a bit of Charlie in them. Shay was different, she was all Grant, Brax didn't know how to act around her or even if he could accept her.

Sleeping on the couch, she looked peaceful, her hair fanning out into the cushions, she was innocent but it didn't help Brax in forming words within his head.

He didn't know how to speak to her, if the words would hurt her.

"I don't know if I can do this" Brax muttered and Bianca came up behind him, whacking him across the back of the head. "Oww"

"You're going to do this, Darryl Braxton, or I am going to murder you. You want to lose Charlie, you did once, don't do it again. That girl is ten years old; picture her, not Grant and not the years you missed with Charlie and Katie. Think Brax, your smart, you know you can't blame a child" Bianca told him firmly.

Brax rubbed his hands over his head. "I can't stop thinking"

Bianca sighed. "You had it tough growing up, none of you boys speak about it. Imagine how she feels, Shay quite possibly blames herself more than you do Brax, so man up or get out" Bianca told him as she pulled Heath upstairs.

Brax sighed, Bianca had always been straight forward, and he was thankful for it. Did Shay blame herself? He never thought to ask.

"Daddy, don't" Shay whimpered as she tossed onto her side. "Please, I'm sorry"

Brax reached out his hand to comfort her before retracting; he didn't know if she would be okay with him touching her.

"No! Daddy, I'll be good, no belt" Shay cried out as she thrashed before sighing. "I don't want to die"

Brax straightened up as he heard the words leave her lips, he didn't understand, Charlie had never mentioned Shay nearly dying. "Shay, Shay, wake up, it's just a dream" Brax said as he stroked her hair, but she tossed onto her back.

"Daddy, please, no Katie, go away, daddy don't hurt her, please" Shay whimpered as she bolted upright, nearly tumbling off the couch, Brax caught her gently but she flinched at contact.

"It's okay, please don't cry, I got you, I'm not going to hurt you" Brax whispered softly as he moved to sit her upright.

Shay draw her knees to her chest as he sat on the couch beside her, tears fell from her eyes. Brax couldn't help the guilt that flooded him.

"Please don't cry, Shay, I'm so sorry" Brax said as the tears came rushing down her cheeks.

Shay shook her head. "I didn't want him to take, Charlie, I promise! I said stop but he didn't listen, he smacked me and I cried, it was naughty and hehe got angry" Shay started talking frantically. "I promise, I didn'tI didn't want him to take her"

Brax nodded as he saw the panic rising in her eyes. "It's okay, calm down, Shay. I understand. You didn't want him to take Charlie" Brax said slowly and Shay nodded.

"I didn't want him to hurt her, I made him hurt me so he wasn't anger at her, I did bad things so he didn't look at her. I promise. I didn't want to get her in trouble" Shay told him, gripping at her arms tightly as if to hold on. "She's not my mum, I can go and Charlie can stay and you can be nice to Katie and I won't get in the way cause I'll gone"

Brax was shocked and confused as he stared at her, the frantic tone in her voice as she spoke quickly, he could see the terror in her eyes. "Hang on" Brax said as he glanced down. "Shay, I don't want you to leave, you make Charlie happy" Brax said softly. "Charlie is your mum, and I'll you the truth okay, can you handle it?"

Shay nodded her head. "Yes Sir" Shay said softly.

Brax smiled slightly. "Don't call me Sir, I'm not old yet" Brax teased and Shay nodded. "I don't like your dad, Shay, do understand? I don't like him, but I shouldn't be nasty to you, your just a little girl, beautiful little girl"

Shay nodded. "My dad was mean, I don't like him either, he hurt me all the time. I don't want to be in the way, Charlie needs to be happy"

Brax smiled. "And Charlie will be happy, but only if you come home with me"

"Will you be mad? You don't like me" Shay said innocently and Brax mentally kicked himself.

"I do like you, I just didn't understand what happened to you or Charlie, or Katie" Brax said as he covered her hands with his, she flinched but held still. "Your Charlie's daughter, and I want you at home where I can protect you. I'll learn to love you, and you'll learn to love me"

Shay looked wry. "Can you learn to love someone?"

Brax smiled. "We'll learn together, and you can tell me anything, I'll always listen. We can be friends and then maybe one day we will be family"

"Do you promise? Daddy made promises but he broke them all the time, he promised to be nice to me, that I'd get to play outside and have birthday and go to school all the time but then I didn't, and punished me when I asked. I didn't like it, I was always bad"

Brax shook his head. "You were never bad, you're a good girl, Grant just wasn't meant to be your dad, do you understand that it wasn't your fault?" Brax asked.

"It wasn't?"

Brax bit the inside of his cheek; he didn't understand how Shay could think any of this was her fault. "No, none of this was your fault, Shay. None of it" Brax said as he held his arms open. "Can I hug you?"

Shay looked at him confused. "You want to hug me?"

Brax nodded. "Of course, silly. You're going to come home with me, yes?"

"Will Ruby be mad? I don't want to make trouble" Shay said and Brax took a chance, pulling her into his arms, he felt her body stiffen but she didn't scream as he looked down and grinned.

"No, Ruby won't be mad. Ruby is just like you, hurting" Brax said and Shay nodded.

"Promise?"

"I do. Now, do you want to come home with me?" Brax asked and Shay looked down, but nodded slowly.

"I wanna see Katie and Charlie" Shay said and Brax tickled her side, it coaxed a little giggle from her before she sealed her lips in fright.

Brax grinned. "I liked the sound of that giggle, you need to giggle more" Brax said as he tickled her again. "Let's go home, ladybug"

^..^

Archived