2Day FM with blood on their hands...

Guest James Martin

Sky News have the story.

As someone who used to work in radio in the UK, for whatever reason Australian commercial radio has always been seen as a "beacon" of great radio - and in the 90s and much of the 00s we had a lot of Aussies in management over here, importing formats borrowed from Australian commercial radio.

But this just strikes me as morally bankrupt.

I'm torn. Part of me thinks I should be outraged at the station for this and yet another part of me actually feels really sorry for the DJ's involved, because what started of as probably a funny prank blew up in a way that probably couldn't be foreseen. It's as if they started the fire, but didn't necessarily pour on the kerosene.

I can't say I'm in to that kind of radio, indeed I tend to listen to CD's in my car since there always seems to be to much blethering, self promotion and adverts on the radio nowadays.

I heard about the prank on Wednesday and just rolled my eyes a bit.When it was the first story on the news last night, I was expecting them to say she'd been sacked or suspended and was getting ready to sigh about it, then when they said she was dead I was horrified.Like Ryan, I can't really bring myself to hate the DJs involved because I can imagine they must be feeling what I felt about a hundred times over coupled with the guilt involved, which really is punishment enough.Maybe there's a wider lesson about humiliating people on national radio for a laugh but, without meaning to trivialise it, there must have been something else going on in her life because otherwise happy people don't normally kill themselves over a single embarrassing incident.I was surprised to realise it wasn't even the nurse that gave out the information, just the one who transferred the call through.

Archived