Farewell to a Neighbours favourite.

Guest Dingo x

Neighbours is set to lose one of its most glamorous residents, Gemma Pranita when she farewells Ramsay Street in August.

The striking brunette joined the cast of the nightly soap in mid 2010 as the feisty, no nonsense personal trainer, Jade Mitchell.

While the Western Australia Academy of Performing Arts graduate thought long and hard about leaving what is one of the few secure acting gigs going, the talented 26-year-old feels the time is right to spread her wings.

“The decision was made with a heavy heart as I love this job but I just felt that two years was long enough to play one character, “ explains Gemma. “I became an actor to play lots of different characters and while Jade has been an amazing role, I feel I want to challenge myself to do other things.”

On her agenda later this year is scoping out opportunities in Los Angeles, however she is definitely not closing thedoor on furthering her career in Australia.

“I’ve always aspired to have a crack at LA and I don’t want to be left wondering, however I’m definitely not opposed to working in Australia, I love the industry here.”

The Thai born actress said she will particularly miss working with co-stars Christopher Milligan, her on again, off again lover Kyle Canning and Eve Morey, her on-screen sister.

“I’ll miss the pranks Chris and I play on each other and one I’m particularly proud of was putting fake dog poo in his script folder, pay back for a prank he played on me,” joked Gemma.

“I’ll also miss three o’ clock on Friday afternoons, the end of a long week, when everyone goes a little bit crazy in the Green Room and watches silly YouTube clips huddled around a computer. It is always so much fun,”

Gemma is chuffed with the extra skills she acquired for her role.

“I didn’t have a relationship with exercise at all but playing a personal trainer, I do now. Every Saturday morning I do body combat with Val (Novakovic) and I learnt to use a skipping rope like aboxer, no easy feat for a non-exerciser.”

She also dispelled the myth of ‘never work with animals’ by playing opposite Bossy, the show’s latest canine, an Australian red kelpie puppy.

“I’ve never owned a dog let alone instructed one so the day Bossy had to sit, lay and roll on my command was amazing, I felt like the new dog whisperer and Cesar Millan better watch out,”

Gemma, who will head back to Sydney when she wraps on Neighbours to work on a project with her theatre company Cry Havoc, is tight-lipped about how her character exits Australia’s most famous street, and would just say that, “hearts will be broken and lots tears will be shed,” Her final scenes will air in November in Australia and December for UK audiences.

Source.

That's a shame.She was my favourite girl.I guess her and Kyle break up then.Either that or she dies.

Two years is a relatively short time though.Most regular characters are around for at least three.

That's a shame.She was my favourite girl.I guess her and Kyle break up then.Either that or she dies.

Two years is a relatively short time though.Most regular characters are around for at least three.

I agree its sad that neighbours loses alot of actors after only a short period on Ramsey Street like Margot Robbie Donna. What they need is actors to come in and want to commit to a long term role maybe 3-6 seasons? or more .

• 1 month later...

That's the cutest dog.

I don't think what Andrew gets in trouble for will be why Jade leaves.The ads suggest that will happen soon and seeing as Gemma just filmed her final scenes she should still be onscreen for about three months I think.

Archived