Andrew Foley - Peter Bensley

Andrew Foley - Counsellor Extraordinaire.

Long before any of the current crop of Summer Bay High teens were even a thought in their parent's minds, kids were confiding in Andrew. Like Grant Mitchell later on, Andrew was an adult who was hip and could speak their language. He was also very caring and amusing.

Please share your thoughts on Andrew Foley. What was it that you liked/disliked about him??? What stories of his do you remember?? Perhaps his relationship with Carly and later Stacey Macklin?? His run-ins with Morag over the Youth Centre??? Or perhaps his father's death??

Come on, let's hear it!!!

Edited by QUIET ACHIEVER

• 9 years later...

Watching the classic years at the moment and I truly can't stand Andrew (I started after his first ark as a teacher) all seen so far is his relationship with Carley that seem little creepy and his relapse into alcoholism and him playing a drunk is so cringe.  Maybe because I'm watching it 30 years later but just can't enjoy his character 

• 1 year later...

I didn't enjoy him watching the show the first time around (I was about 9 or 10), but the second time around (when I was in my late twenties), I found him more likable. I am not sure why though, as there wasn't an awful lot to like about the character. I didn't like his relationship with Stacey, his backstory (the alcoholism and his rich family!) or the way he constantly challenged Donald Fisher. 

He wasn't my favourite character by any stretch, but I didn't dislike him in the same way I disliked other characters in the late 80s/early 90s period.  

• 1 month later...

I was a fan of Peter Bensley who played Andrew - I thought he brought a lot of fun and personality to the role - but I do think the Carly relationship was a bit of a pity, as it didn't portray the character of Andrew in the best light and it's a shame, as he otherwise had a good (platonic) rapport with the pupils and that soured it a bit. I think I'm right in saying that he only reciprocated Carly's crush after she'd left school (?) but it certainly wasn't long after, and so I wasn't altogether keen on it. Definitely similar to Grant in that he was a bit more modern and trendy as teachers go and was always butting heads with Don, and I think that tension was needed/worked - but (at least as far as I recall) Grant didn't ever overstep the mark with pupils, so for my money he worked better as a character overall. (Obviously there are great characters who have overstepped the mark, like Angie Russell, but she's not supposed to be liked, so it's a very different dynamic.)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wasn't keen on Peter's portrayal, personally. There was something about his performance which I've always found creepy, especially in his romantic scenes with Sharyn or Sandie. An over-actor in general. This affected my ability to like the character, to the point that I am cheering whenever I re-watch his cringy departure hugs with Ailsa and Tom (and another cringe moment: that bizarre "handing over of Carly" scene he had with Ben which was like something written in the 14th century)! 

On 20/02/2023 at 11:51, nenehcherry2 said:

There was something about his performance which I've always found creepy, especially in his romantic scenes with Sharyn or Sandie.

It could be the part where the actor was some 14 years older than Sharyn and Sandie (mid-30s while they were 20).  He was also too mates-y outside of school with students played by actors nearly 20 years younger than Peter Bensley.

54 minutes ago, homeandawayroxsomuch. said:

It could be the part where the actor was some 14 years older than Sharyn and Sandie (mid-30s while they were 20).  He was also too mates-y outside of school with students played by actors nearly 20 years younger than Peter Bensley.

No, not a concern for me. That doesn't bother me in the slightest, being someone who once dated a man 27 years my senior when I was only 20 myself. Some folks may have an unconscious bias issue with age-gap relationships or cross-generational friendships but that certainly doesn't factor into my own perception of Peter's acting style.