Family Matters

Guest HighwayUnicorn

Wow what an emotional chapter, everyones thoughts and feelings were perfectly written.

I can understand why Belle felt annoyed...it must be so difficult to not be allowed to make the decision as to whether someone lives or not. I also feel sorry for Peter, he has just lost his wife.

I hope Belle gets through it.

Looking forward to the next update. :)

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Talk about emotional!!!! :o

That was amazing.... Poor Belle, feeling angry, upset, sad, lonely.... regret... they were just such raw emotions it almost had me in tears!

I feel so sorry for Peter, having to make such a hard decision...

Aden was perfect as per usual :wub:

I seriously want my own lol....

Perfect... amazing... and thanks so much for the dedication ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

CHAPTER FIVE

A week had passed since Amanda had died after her life support machine was switched off and the funeral had quickly approached, the preparations continuously underway as the residents of Summer Bay prepared to gather in the afternoon. Roman and Irene had kindly offered to provide the food and cater for all the guests at the funeral whilst Peter had arranged the funeral in general, choosing flowers and wreaths as well as the coffin.

“Babe” Aden murmured quietly as he stood in the middle of his and Belle’s bedroom. Belle had curled round into a foetal position on the bed, holding a tissue in one hand as tears continued to spill over her eyes. “Belle” Aden muttered in an attempt to get her attention, speaking slightly louder than before, as he continued to attempt to tie the knot in the black tie had had placed around his neck.

Belle sat up slowly, her tears continuing to run. She gently pushed herself off the bed, her black dress regaining its original posture as it hugged her slender frame, falling just above the knee, the sleeves rolled down to cover three quarters of her arms.

She reached forwards, gently grasping the tie that hung loosely around her husbands’ neck, before forming it into a perfect knot. Once she was satisfied with the appearance of Aden’s suit, she sighed, pulling away from him and turning around, only for Aden to gently take her wrist in his grasp.

“Belle” he murmured.

Belle shrugged, slowly turning round to face Aden. “What?” she whispered, her tear stained cheeks losing all colour that would usually be there. “What do you expect me to say?” she asked him softly.

Aden sighed. “I don’t” he told her. “I don’t expect you to say anything. You don’t have to sweetheart.”

The couple fell into a comfortable silence, Belle pulling away from Aden and seating herself on the bed cross legged, continuing to hold the tissue in one hand. Aden continued to stand in the middle of the room, cautiously watching his fragile wife.

“Do you remember the last funeral we went to?” Belle asked as she stared into nothingness.

“Babe, don’t do this” Aden told her firmly.

“Tell me that you remember, Aden” Belle whispered, Aden’s heart breaking.

He sighed. “Of course I remember” he told her. “How could I forget, Belle?”

“He was our baby” Belle cried, burying her head in her hands as Aden swiftly sat on the bed next to her, wrapping one arm around her shoulder, the other hand taking hers and holding her tightly to his body as his own tears began to form in his eyes, his vision blurred as the salty tears clung to his eye lashes.

FLASHBACK

Aden sat in the hospital waiting room, his heart pounding, his chest feeling as though it would burst any second. He had so many questions whizzing around his head, his fingers drumming on the wooden oak table in front of him.

He thought back to the sudden scream that had emitted in the house, awaking him instantly as he recognised Belle’s fear and panic. He had found her in the bathroom, curled in a ball on the floor in, clearly, complete agony. But he knew he had to keep calm and reassure his heavily pregnant wife.

He had finally, with much difficulty, got her to the hospital, only for her to be snatched away from him and taken into a private room.

After what seemed like hours, Rachel finally exited the hospital room and approached Aden, snapping him out of his thoughts as he stood up and bombarded the doctor with a variety of questions that he needed to know the answer to.

“How is she? Is she okay? The baby?” He threw the questions round so quickly that Rachel didn’t have the opportunity to answer them.

“Aden, calm down, okay?” Rachel told him gently and with a slight smile, although the occasion was far from cheerful. “You can see Belle now but we’re going to do a scan and check that the baby is healthy, okay?” she told him as Aden nodded in reply. “We’ve given Belle some pain relief as well” she added, knowing that he would appreciate his wife no longer being in severe pain.

Aden nodded although he was far from calm. He slowly removed himself from the chair, standing on his legs which felt like jelly, as though he was about to collapse onto the floor. But he held it together, he knew he had to, for Belle’s sake.

He pushed open the door and took in Belle’s dishevelled figure. Tubes and drips were inserted into her hands and arms, pumping substances into her. He was relieved to see she wasn’t in any more physical pain but the emotions were still there, deep within her eyes and he could tell that she was scared, frightened.

“Hey” she breathed tiredly as Aden entered the room with Rachel. The sonographer was standing in the corner of the room, preparing the equipment in order to take the scan, and although there in the room, she took no notice of Aden’s entrance, ensuring the couple had some privacy.

Aden quickly hurried over to the bed where Belle lay, placing a hand on her cheek and stroking her face gently. “You scared me” he whispered, offering Belle a supportive smile, although worried about the outcome of his unborn child.

“I’m sorry” Belle muttered softly as Aden took her hands in his own, gently circling them to soothe her. After a moment’s silence, she spoke again, only this time, her voice breaking as she did so. “Aden ... I’m scared” she choked out.

“Hey, there’s nothing, nothing, to be scared about, okay? I’m right here with you sweetheart” Aden told her gently as Belle nodded.

“You won’t leave me?” she asked him as Aden offered her a slight smile.

“Never” he murmured.

They were interrupted by Rachel who spoke directly to them both. “Okay guys, we’re going to do the ultrasound now to make sure that baby is healthy, okay?” she asked them, although she knew that Belle and Aden were far from ready and was unable to pass on any information about their unborn child without completing an ultrasound, knowing that it was highly likely that neither Belle nor Aden would be happy with the results.

Rachel ensured Belle was comfortable whilst Aden remained perched on the edge of the bed, clasping Belle’s hands in his as the sonographer placed the gel on her stomach and then manoeuvred the wand.

After a few moments, the sonographer spoke, informing the couple of what they were dreading to hear.

“I’m so sorry” she whispered. “There’s no heartbeat.”

Belle said nothing, although her sadness was expressed through the tears that feel from her eyes, running down her cheeks, a pointless task for Aden to stop them from flowing as they continued consecutively. Aden too, had tears forming in his eyes but he knew he had to be strong for Belle. He knew that the baby had died inside of her and he knew what she had to do.

The sonographer exited the room swiftly, leaving Aden, Belle and Rachel in the small hospital room together.

“Belle, sweetie, I am so sorry” Rachel murmured. She attempted to gently approach the subject, yet there was nothing she could do or say that would condone what Belle was expected to do. “Belle ... because you are so many months into your pregnancy and the baby has developed ... I’m sorry sweetie ... but you ...”

“Have to give birth?” Aden asked rhetorically. “There must be another way, Rachel?” he practically begged as he held his wife’s hands tightly, never wanting to let her go.

Rachel looked at him apologetically. “I’m sorry, Aden. There’s no other way.” She paused, silence in the room for a moment. “We’ll induce Belle and then she’s ready to give birth ... we can do that in a moment.”

“Can I stay with her?” he asked, wiping away his own tears as Rachel nodded.

Rachel finally walked around the other side of the bed, preparing everything that was needed. A small bowl was placed on the trolley, along with equipment and medication. “Whenever you’re ready Belle” Rachel whispered gently, allowing Belle to at least have one decision to make of her own in this situation.

Aden had moved from his position, this time sitting behind Belle on the bed, having already discussed the birthing plan with her, although they had expected that their baby would be alive when Belle gave birth to it.

“I ... I’m going to be sick” she suddenly announced, as Rachel quickly handed her the bowl, the emotions overwhelming Belle and causing her to become even more ill and stressed. Aden pulled back her hair gently, rubbing her back as she vomited into the bowl.

“It’s okay” he whispered as he heard his wife whimper in front of him, both of them now preparing for a long night as Belle prepared to give birth to her dead baby.

END FLASHBACK

“It’s okay” Aden soothed as he pulled his wife closer into him.

There was a knock on their bedroom door, the couple suddenly alerted.

“Come in” Aden muttered, as Danielle entered.

“The car’s here” she murmured. “We need to go” she told them.

Aden nodded. “Thank you, Danielle. Could you get Lilly and Olivia sorted out and into the car please? And make sure that Jayden and Tyler know?”

Danielle nodded before heading downstairs and informing her brothers and sisters about the arrival of the car, exiting the house and heading to the church for the funeral.

After the funeral, those who attended then headed to the diner where Irene had decided to host the spread, food beautifully presented on the tables and a few drinks were also available.

Jayden and Danielle had offered to go home with Tyler, Lilly and Olivia, taking them back to house and looking after them, whilst Belle and Aden stayed at the diner for a couple of hours.

“Belle, I am so sorry” Rachel spoke softly as she and Belle were stood in one corner of the room.

Belle nodded. “I know” she told her offering a slight smile. “I just wish that there could have been something that would have made her better.”

“So do I but Belle, you have to understand, she went peacefully. If she had been brought out of the coma, she wouldn’t have been your mum anymore” she told her gently as Belle nodded, before Rachel left her to offer her condolences to Peter.

It had been like this most of the afternoon in the diner; people apologising to Belle and telling her that they were there for her and they knew what she was going through. How could they possibly know? A few of them, maybe, but not everyone.

“Hiya love” Irene spoke softly as she approached Belle, wrapping an arm around her waist. “You okay?” she asked gently.

Belle nodded. “Yeah, I guess. It’s just hard, you know.”

“I know, love, but don’t forget, you have a wonderful family around you and an amazing husband who I am sure is willing to look after you” she smiled as Belle let out a small giggle.

“Yeah, he’s been amazing. I just ... I get the feeling that he’s angry with me sometimes, for pushing him away and not wanting to talk about it, you know?”

“Well love, you know what Aden’s like. He wants to help you. He doesn’t like seeing you in pain and hurting, so it’s only natural. Although I’m sure he’s not angry, just upset.”

Belle shrugged. “Yeah, I’m sure you’re right.”

“Of course I am girly, I’m always right. It was a lovely service though, darl. Amanda would have loved it, I’m sure.”

Belle nodded in agreement.

After a few moments of standing in silence, both Belle and Irene taking the time to observe the diner and everyone in it, Aden approached them.

“You okay babe?” he asked as Belle nodded.

“Take me home?” she asked him gently.

“Of course” he whispered, taking Belle’s hand in his own, their fingers interlocking. “Thank you, Irene” he spoke.

Belle turned to face her foster mother, before offering her a quick smile. “Yeah, thanks. I appreciate it and I’m sure Peter does too.”

“It was nothing, love. To be completely honest, it was all Roman’s idea. I’ll see you both later. Take care” she added, before the couple walked off.

Before exiting the diner, Belle and Aden said their goodbyes to a few people, thanking Roman, before heading back home.

Unlocking the front door, the couple entered the house, to find Danielle sat on the sofa along with Lilly and Olivia.

“Mama!” Olivia announced, jumping off the sofa and heading towards Belle.

“Hello Livvie” she whispered quietly, picking her up and holding her in her arms gently.

“Dada” she added, looking in the direction of Aden.

“Hello baby girl. What have you been up to?” he asked, giggling to himself as he had already guessed by the mess in the kitchen, Danielle being the one to answer his question, looking over from the sofa and towards her parents.

“We made chocolate brownies and then the girls wanted to watch Mary Poppins.”

“Well I hope you tidy the kitchen in a minute. I want it left the way that it was when we left this house this morning” Belle murmured, upset rather than angry at her daughters.

“But mummy, tidying up is boring” Lilly moaned, she too now leaning over the edge of the sofa to see her parents.

“In every job that must be done, there is an element of fun” Belle muttered, quoting the lines as Danielle giggled.

“I don’t think snapping your fingers like Mary Poppins can tidy the kitchen, mum” she laughed as Belle offered a slight smile.

“Right, I’m going upstairs for a nap. When I come back, I want that kitchen spotless” she told them. “Where are the boys anyway?” she asked as she began heading up the stairs, closely followed by Aden.

“Tyler’s in his bedroom on the playstation and Jayden ... wait for it ... is doing homework!” she exclaimed, surprised by the unusual event.

“Really?” Belle asked, also surprised. “At least he’s staying out of trouble I guess” Belle spoke quietly to herself as she continued to head up the stairs.

Once Belle and Aden reached their bedroom, Belle locked the door, before Aden turned to her and spoke.

“Are you okay? Really?”

Belle nodded. “As okay as I can be I guess” she told him honestly. “Just ... make me forget, Aden” she murmured, approaching him slowly and pressing a kiss to her lips, intensifying it. Aden returned the kiss before pulling away, resting his hands on Belle’s upper arms before speaking.

“Babe, you know that’s not the answer” he muttered gently.

“I know. Just make me forget, Aden” she whispered again, as Aden pressed a kiss to his wife’s lips, before both of them tumbled onto the bed.

that was such a sad chapter.... I cant believe it I was almost in tears... that was just.... just so.... SAD :o

I cant believe Belle and Aden's baby died and she had to give birth.... that was just so emotional and amazingly written!!!

The scene with Belle and Irene at the Diner was jsut amazing.... really made you see just how much they care about each other...

Livvie and the girls making brownies are just so cute ^_^ it was nice...

and Belle wanting to forget is understandable, but still wont mak anything better :|

CHAPTER SIX

“You know we can’t solve our problems like that, don’t you?” Aden asked Belle gently, as she sat up in bed later that night. Aden was laying down, sprawled across the bed, underneath the covers, his head resting on the pillow as one hand was placed against Belle’s lower back. Belle was sat up, staring into the darkness of the night in their bedroom.

She nodded slowly, the slightest movement of her head just visible to Aden who propped himself up slightly more, realising this was a conversation that was going to last longer than either of them anticipated.

“Talk to me, Belle” Aden murmured. “Babe?”

Belle shrugged. “I don’t know what to do” she whimpered.

“You don’t have to do anything” Aden replied, stroking her back tenderly as she remained in her sitting position, her head turned slightly to see Aden out of the corner of one eye. “You just have to be yourself and find a way to cope, baby. I hate seeing you like this.”

Once again, Belle sat there and shrugged, not knowing what to say. She was tired, she had been having sleepless night for the past week since her mother died but no matter how drained and tired and withdrawn she was becoming, she couldn’t sleep. It wasn’t possible. She was awaking in the night after having nightmares. She could hear Amanda calling her, summoning her in her dreams.

“Sweetheart” Aden began again. “I think maybe you should see someone ... a councillor maybe?” he suggested.

Belle choked out a breathy, sarcastic laugh at his comment. “Why?” she asked rhetorically.

"Because” he began, sitting up next to Belle and taking her hands in his own, gently grasping them, “I think you’re dep...” he stopped as Belle pulled her hands away.

“Don’t you dare!” she warned through gritted teeth. “I am not depressed!” she told him firmly.

“Oh come on, Belle. Both you and I know that’s not true! You’ve suffered from severe depression before, what else am I meant to think?”

"Perhaps, Aden, I might just be upset, considering that I lost my mum only last week!” she spoke loudly, although conscious not to awake the children.

“Babe” Aden spoke softly. “Just calm down for a moment, okay?”

The couple both fell silent, the pattering of the rain falling down from the window the only audible sound. Aden’s breathing was soft, his bare, muscular chest rising and falling as he reached for Belle’s hands again. She looked up at him, offering him a sad look, before looking down at their entwined hands which rested within her lap.

“They’ll lock me away again ... I won’t see you or the children ... and ...”

“Babe, I won’t let that happen okay? Watching them take you away like that when they did before ... it practically killed me and I have sworn never to let that happen again. But you need professional help. And if that means that you can’t talk to me, then you need to talk to Rachel or a councillor or someone ... please?

Belle nodded gently. “Just please don’t let them take me away like last time?” she begged in a whimper.

“I won’t, sweetheart. The sooner you get help, the better it will be. You’ll get medication and you won’t feel as bad, okay?”

Belle nodded once again. “I just don’t want it to be like last time.”

FLASHBACK

People gave her sympathetic looks every day; they apologised, said they were sorry and told her that they were there for her. But did they really know the pain she was going through? Everyone who spoke to her, everyone who apologised for her loss, had they given birth to their dead baby? No.

Aden didn’t know what to do anymore, how to help her. He held her at night but there was nothing there. He was holding Belle’s practically lifeless body. She wasn’t Belle; she wasn’t woman he had married a year ago. But he wasn’t going to leave her when her mental health was like it was; even Belle knew that.

She spoke when she needed to, she ate some of her meal in the evening when she sat down with Aden and she continued routine events like washing and ironing, but she avoided going out and shopping, going to the diner. She didn’t want to be around other people, listen to them apologise or tell her that she needed help. As far as Belle was concerned, she didn’t need help.

Aden had been to see Rachel on numerous occasions, but prescribing anti-depressants was not an option unless Belle attended the consultation. That was never going to be an option, Aden having not told Belle that he was seeing Rachel, sneaking around behind her back. But it was for her own health, her own good.

“Belle, babe” Aden muttered quietly. He had to leave for work in half an hour and this was the worst part of his day. He had to awake Belle, much to his own disappointment, but seeing as her head was resting on his chest, he saw no option but to move her gently onto the pillow comfortably.

She didn’t stir and instead, remained sleeping, which was perhaps a good thing, as managing to get a full night’s sleep was practically impossible. Belle had, since the death of their son, awoken most nights throughout the week, thrashing around in the bed or screaming and shouting out loud.

Gently lifting her head, Aden moved her petite frame, placing her head on the pillow. With the heating not yet on, Aden climbed out of bed, before placing the quilt over Belle again. Reaching out towards her, he grasped the hems of her sleeves of the shirt she was wearing, his shirt in fact, and began to roll them down, coming to a halt as he felt small bumps on her wrist.

Curiously, he frowned, before gently turning her wrist over, pulling the sleeve up once again, cautious not to awake his sleeping wife. He looked in horror, fear engulfing him as he gasped. Two small, red bumps had appeared on her wrist and he knew only two well how they had been caused. Dropping her wrist back onto the bed, he headed downstairs.

END FLASHBACK

“Belle, babe” Aden began as he entered the kitchen tiredly. As he walked in, he spotted Belle carrying Olivia, placing her in her high chair before pouring out a bowl of cereal for her. “Let me do that” he interrupted, taking the milk from the fridge.

Belle nodded and smiled at her husband, pressing a quick kiss to his lips. “Thank you” she muttered gratefully. “Are we doing anything today?” Belle suddenly asked, Saturday having arrived quicker than she expected, especially after being awake so late the previous night.

Aden shrugged, looking at his wife. “I need to go out and do some shopping, I suppose? We need some necessities sweetheart” he told her honestly.

“I can come with you if you want babe” Belle murmured quietly as she observed her daughter grasping the spoon and placing it into the bowl, before taking a mouthful of the rice krispies in front of her.

Aden shook his head. “No sweetheart, I think you should take it easy, stay at home, you know?” he spoke softly, approaching her slowly. “You can give me a list ... and if you feel better about it, the kids can come with me, give you some time for yourself.”

“It’s Tyler’s turn this week” Belle smiled at her husband.

Aden nodded. “Of course” he muttered, unable to believe that he forgot who was next on the rota. “So Tyler can come with me, Danielle and Jayden can keep an eye on the kids and you ... can take a nap? Have a bubble bath?”

“Will you join me?”

“I wish I could” Aden murmured as a small smile formed across Belle’s lips. “Aaah, see, there it is” he smiled back, pulling her into him. “Baby” he murmured. “I missed you.” There was a pause for a few moments, the two of them continuing to embrace before he spoke again. “Have you thought about what I said yesterday?”

Belle nodded. “Come with me” she muttered as she heard Danielle charging down the stairs. “Danni, just keep an eye on Livvie for me please babes?” she asked as they entered the living room, Danielle walking past the casually and nodding at Belle’s question.

When Belle had sat down next to Aden on the sofa, both of them comfortable, she began to speak. “I’m going to see a counsellor” she admitted. “I still really don’t want to, but I know it will make me feel better ... and I need to be better ... I need to be strong for you and for the kids ...” she trailed off as Aden interrupted her.

“You don’t need to be anything for us, sweetheart. You just need to be yourself. You just need to be Belle. And if that means grieving for your mum and being dep...” he noticed his mistake and attempted to correct if before he reached for Belle’s hand and squeezed it gently.

“It’s okay” she murmured. “I’ve come to terms with it again ... you’re right. I am depressed. I’m not the strong woman that you married all those years ago ... I am weak and depressed now and ...”

“You’ll never be weak, do you hear me?” Aden spoke quietly, placing a hand on Belle’s cheek and stroking it gently. “Never. After everything you’ve ever been through ... you’ve been through hell and back. We’ve not exactly been the luckiest couple have we, hey?” he whispered. “But if you’re depressed, you do need to see someone. I don’t want you ...” he trailed off, looking back over the sofa and looking down the hall, watching Danielle. After being satisfied that she wasn’t in earshot of their conversation, he continued. “I don’t want you to start cutting again.”

“Neither do I” Belle shrugged as she stared at the floor, ashamed of her past secret. “That’s why I need to see someone Aden. I don’t want to go as far as I did last time ... our children, they don’t need a mother who’s depressed and finally ends up suicidal. You nearly lost me because I was so stupid and couldn’t open up to you” she whimpered, placing a hand on his neck as she sighed softly. “I don’t want to put you through that again, it’s not fair.”

Aden shrugged. “What’s not fair is you going through this hell and me standing back and watching. But babe, I am so glad that you’re going to have the counselling sessions. I really think it will be good for you.”

Belle nodded. “I know. And I’ll have you there the whole time” she smiled as Aden nodded.

“Of course you do, baby. Always and forever.”

“Tyler, I can’t keep on buying things like that if you’re not going to eat them mate. A couple of weeks ago your mum bought a packet of those biscuits. A few days ago, we threw them away, nobody had even touched them. And besides, we need to start eating more healthily, okay?”

Tyler shrugged. “Okay, but don’t blame me when you dish up cauliflower and broccoli and I don’t eat it” he winged.

“I won’t” Aden said with a smile. “Now, we need bread and milk ...” Aden spoke to himself as we walked around the store with the trolley, Tyler traipsing along behind him. “Tyler, we’re meant to be doing this together. How are we meant to hold a conversation when you’re listening to that thing” Aden gestured at the iPod Tyler was using.

He shrugged. “I don’t know” he muttered. “Why can’t we spend proper quality time together anyway? Lewis’s dad always takes him to football, every weekend and some week games too. Why don’t we ever do anything like that?”

“Because, son, we are a very busy family.”

“Oh yeah” muttered Tyler. “Real busy” he spoke sarcastically. Because Lilly and Olivia don’t need to worry about anything at their age, Danielle and Jayden go out partying most nights and me? I spend most of my time doing homework. You’re always working and mum just wallows in self pity” he snapped angrily.

“Don’t you dare!” Aden warned.

“I’m sorry” a small voice emitted from Tyler’s body, genuinely apologetic for what he had said about his mother. “I didn’t mean it ... I know that she’s upset ... in fact dad, you know what, I’m really not stupid ... I’m practically an adult. She’s depressed.”

Aden shrugged. On one hand, Tyler was right. He was old enough now to understand what was going on around him, even if he was only ten but he recognised his own mother's emotions, but he didn’t want to be the one to tell Tyler the truth. It wasn’t his story to tell. “Let’s just get on, yeah?” he murmured, placing a hand behind Tyler, encouraging him to take a turn of pushing the trolley instead.

“What else do we need?” he asked, taking his earphones out and placing them, along with the iPod, in his pocket. “I mean, like, what are we having for dinner tonight? Are you cooking?” he asked as his father nodded the reply.

“Roast beef?” Aden asked.

“Dad, it’s Saturday! We could always have Roast Beef tomorrow. And maybe ... Chinese today?” he asked sweetly, in order to receive his dad’s approval to have a takeaway.

Aden sighed. “You’re as bad as your mother. I’m telling you now Tyler, you get your metabolism from her!” he told him with a breathy laugh.

Having finally returned home from their shopping trip, Aden and Tyler unpacked in the kitchen. Danielle was sitting on the sofa with a bar of chocolate and watching a movie, whilst Jayden sat at the living room table with the laptop, completing his school assignment. Olivia was in the playpen with Lilly, both of them entertained by the toys inside the bright, colourful box.

“Dada!” she chanted as she recognised her father. “Yler!” she attempted to speak, causing Aden to giggle slightly.

“Oh dear, Livvie, babes. I think we need to teach you properly. Tyler” he said, trying to get his daughter to say her brother’s name properly. “T-y-l-e-r” he pronounced, leaning over the playpen to see his daughter.

The young, blonde haired girl replied “Yler” once again.

“I’m sure you’ll soon learn sweetheart” Aden smiled as he pulled away from the playpen. “Lilly, honey, make sure Livvie doesn’t get hold of the Barbie set, okay?” he added, referring to the small, hazardous pieces that were within the Barbie set that Belle had brought Lilly a few weeks ago. Although reluctant that they always seemed to be within reach of Olivia, Lilly took them everywhere she went, so asking her not to would have only caused arguments. So far, she had been responsible, not leaving it with Olivia whilst she was alone.

“Okay daddy” she replied sweetly, before turning around and playing with the Barbie set once again, her pink dress flowing around her as she did so.

“Where’s mum?” Aden suddenly asked, aware that his wife was not with them, considering the thought that maybe she listened to him for once and had returned to bed for a nap.

“Upstairs” both Jayden and Lilly replied in unison.

Aden smiled, before slowly heading up the stairs, quietly, just in case Belle was asleep. He entered the bedroom, closing the door behind him, tiptoeing across the floor, before stopping in his tracks. “No” he whimpered as his eyes averted to the pill packet on the side of the bed.

CHAPTER SEVEN

“Sh*t” he groaned, approaching his wife quickly, not caring just how much noise he made. He shook Belle’s petite frame. “Belle! Come on, wake up!” he spoke loudly, preparing himself to get the hospital bag he usually took to work in order to provide his wife with medical attention.

A small groan emitted from Belle’s lips as she rolled over onto her back, her eyes opening slightly. “Wh-“ she began tiredly.

“Belle!” Aden exclaimed, happy that she was awake yet needed confirmation on what had happened. “Baby, you need to tell me, how many have you taken?” he asked, cupping his wife’s face in his hands.

Belle groaned tiredly once again before muttering her answer. “Two” she told him, although now more awake as she sat up slowly. Once she was comfortable, she sat with her legs crossed on the bed before looking up at Aden. “Why? How many did you think I had taken?”

There was an awkward silence between the two of them, Aden licking his plush lips before taking a quick look around the room, unable to admit what had feared him as he entered the room previously.

“You really thought ...” Belle began, clearly hurt by her husband’s initial reaction. “You really don’t trust me, do you?” she asked.

“Babe” Aden began, before perching himself on the edge of the bed and taking her hands in his own, circling his thumb in her palm gently. “Of course I trust you. I just don’t trust whatever demon this is that’s consuming you.”

“I ... Aden, I can’t ... I can’t be strong” she whimpered. “But I need to be ... I just don’t know how ... I made the appointment with the counsellor today but ...”

“You don’t have to be strong baby” Aden told her gently, pulling her into a hug. “You are the most beautiful, most amazing woman I know and I love you. I am going to be here for you the whole time, okay?” he murmured, cupping her face in his hands once again.

They fell into yet another silence before Belle spoke again, gesturing at the tablets on the bed. “Two” she muttered. “I only took two. I had a migraine” she groaned. “I needed to sleep.”

She heard Aden sigh in relief as he pulled her close once again, thankful that she hadn’t attempted to take her own life.

FLASHBACK

There was blood everywhere. The puddle of water on the floor had turned red, the razor blade was soaked in blood but what caught Aden’s attention the most was the blood on Belle’s wrists. “Sh*t” he muttered to himself. “Belle, come on” he whispered quietly, although trying to get her to regain consciousness was impossible. Grabbing the towel from the rack, he tied it around her wrists, before taking a second one and tying another knot around her left wrist. “Stay with me baby” he murmured, picking her up.

Of all nights she could have chosen, she chose tonight. A year after her baby had died, their baby had died and she couldn’t take the pain any longer.

It was a stormy night, the rain pattering down on the windows heavily, and all the power-lines fused. Candles were lit inside the house, with no electricity available. Aden reached for his mobile phone, groaning when realised that he had no battery.

Gently lifting Belle’s petite frame from the floor, he hurried out of the house and gently placed her in the car, throwing a blanket over her body to ensure that she kept warm. Jumping in the car himself, he started the engine and began to drive, muttering quietly to Belle, although aware that she was still unconscious. “We’ll get you help, baby” he murmured.

As soon as he reached the hospital, he rushed through the doors, Belle securely in his arms. Rachel was within sight, heading down the corridor, her speed increasing as she recognised who it was.

“Aden?” she suddenly asked.

“Rachel ... you’ve gotta help her” Aden spoke quickly.

“Aden, what’s happened?” Rachel asked as they entered a private hospital room, Aden gently putting Belle down onto the bed.

“She ... I ... God, Rach, she’s cut herself ... I wrapped the towels around her wrist to stop the bleeding ... I ... you have to help her Rachel” he cried hysterically.

Rachel placed a hand on Aden’s chest before speaking. “And I will help her, Aden. You just need to stay calm, okay? I need you to wait outside and I’ll call you once she’s settled, okay?”

Three hours had passed before anyone had told Aden what was happening and what condition his wife was in.

“Aden, you can see Belle now” Rachel informed him, explaining what had happened as they reached the door. “We had to stitch the cuts ... it was a suicide attempt Aden. We’ve spoken to a psychiatrist and they’ve suggested she attend a clinic for a while.”

“An asylum?” Aden snorted. “She’s not mental Rachel.”

“Nobody’s saying she is, Aden. And I’m sorry, either talk her into going or we send her involuntarily.”

“You can’t do that” Aden told her angrily.

It was at times like this that Rachel hated her job. “Yes, I can” she told him firmly, walking away from him as he entered the room, to find Belle’s dishevelled figure lying in the bed. Her wrists were covered in white bandages and tears stained her cheeks.

“I’m sorry” she murmured as she slowly turned round to face him.

“You put me through hell” he told her firmly. The couple observed each other for a moment, before each of them broke down into sobs, Aden perching himself on the edge of the bed and gathering Belle into his arms, whilst he cried into her hair and Belle sobbed into Aden’s chest. “I thought I lost you” he cried. “Don’t ever do that to me again!”

“Belle ... please, you don’t understand” Aden begged. They were in the corridor of the psychiatric hospital, the only place where the couple could have the privacy they needed.

“No, Aden. I am being deadly serious! I want a divorce!” she screeched. She pointed a finger at him before speaking again. “After everything we have ever been through and you go and put me in somewhere like here behind my back! I hate you!” she spat.

Aden held out his hands. “Belle, sweetheart, don’t do this.”

“I will do this actually, Aden! I thought you were different but no, you have to play mind games with me! And you know what, that makes you just as bad ... no, in fact, worse than Angelo!”

“Don’t you dare, Belle! Don’t you dare compare me to him, ever!” he yelled, as he grabbed her wrists, accidentally slamming her into the wall behind her. Within an instant of realising what he had done, he pulled away, cowering in shame.

“What are you gonna do next, Aden? Hit me? How about you go the whole way and rape me, Aden?”

“I would never ...” he trailed off as a single tear trickled down his cheek. “You know ... oh God, please, Belle ... tell me that you know I ... I would never ... God, I would never hurt you, you know that don’t you?”

Belle slid down the wall, slouching down and pulling her knees up to her chest, nodding before burying her head into them. “I know” she muttered. “But it doesn’t change anything, Aden. You still betrayed my trust.”

“I know” Aden replied. “And I don’t expect you to forgive me ... ever ... but Belle? Divorce? Are you serious? If you are, then I will, if it’s what will make you happy. But if I thought for one second that getting a divorce wouldn’t make you happy, then I wouldn’t get one ... but if you do ... I could talk to Morag?” he suggested.

“Maybe it’s for the best” Belle whimpered. “We can’t go on like this. We can’t keep shouting at each other and arguing. We lost our baby, Aden and maybe I’m not the right woman for you ... what if I can never give you a child? You deserve so much more than me.”

“I don’t want anyone else Belle!” he muttered angrily, more at himself than at Belle. “But if my wife, who deserves so much better than a man who betrays her, wants a divorce then I will get one” he told her truthfully. “Well?” he asked.

END FLASHBACK

“I never meant to hurt you all those years ago. You know that, don’t you?” Belle asked, both of them having thought back to one of the worst times of their life.

Aden nodded, taking Belle’s hand in his own once again. “I just wish there was more that I could have done for you and to make you better.”

“You did what you could. You were there for me, even when I was acting like some crazy bitch” she giggled.

Aden smiled. “I like that” he told her genuinely.

“Like what?” Belle asked with a smile.

“Seeing you laugh and smile” he told her, her smile instantly fading away.

“I shouldn’t be happy” she told him. “I can’t be happy, not when mum ... it’s only been a week, Aden. I can’t just get over it.”

“Which is exactly why I told you about the counselling sessions. When is your appointment anyway?”

“Monday” Belle replied suddenly. “Anyway, how did shopping go?” she asked him.

Aden groaned. “Tyler is such an unsociable kid” he smiled as he flopped onto the bed. “And he doesn’t like greens either ... but he wanted those biscuits that you got a couple of weeks ago ...”

“Oh no, Aden, you didn’t? He didn’t even touch them ...”

“I know. I didn’t get them,” he told her with a smile.

“Good” she replied. “Aden ...” she began.

“What?” he dragged out, realising that her tone signalled a conversation neither of them were going to enjoy, yet he knew he had to endure it.

“Can ... look, I’ve been thinking about it for a while ... before mum and everything ... can we have another baby?” she asked him, biting her lip.

“No!” he told her quickly.

“But ...”

“No buts, Belle! I almost lost you when you had Livvie. I am not going through that again.”

“You said so yourself, it’s not impossible ...”

“But it wouldn’t exactly be an easy ride either babe. I’m sorry, it’s a no. You can’t ... I won’t let you. I’m your husband Belle and I’m supposed to be protecting you.”

“But we make love most of the time and ...”

“I could always get a vasectomy?” Aden suggested.

“Ouch!” Belle winced before laughing. “Well, don’t expect me to stay at home with you and look after you ... or them” she giggled.

“Very funny Belle” he laughed sarcastically. “I was being serious actually ... otherwise it stays the same and we use condoms. You know Jayden’s ...” he began before being interrupted by Belle.

“Has some in his room?” she guessed as he nodded. “I know.”

“How do you know?” he asked with a smile.

“I’m his mother. Do you seriously think that I don’t check what he gets up to?!” she laughed.

Aden shrugged. “I guess not. You always are so nosey. Anyway, the whole point of the matter is ... we can have s- ... make love as much as we want as long as we use protection because I am not letting you risk another pregnancy” he told her firmly.

“I’m not going to win this one am I?”

Aden shook his head as he continued lying down on the bed. “Nope. Sorry babe. I’m a doctor ... I know the precautions and everything ... I won’t let you risk it and I will make sure that I’m not stupid enough to let anything like that happen anyway. Besides, I’m getting old” he murmured quietly.

“We are not old, Aden” Belle told him with a smile. “We’re the same age. Just because some of us look older than others ...” she trailed off, leaning forward and placing a hand on her husband’s chest. Pressing a kiss to his lips, she intensified it, both of them groaning in please. Slowly looping the belt through the loop holes, Belle removed it and placed it onto the bed, her body rolling on top of Aden’s hovering over him. With the help of Aden as they continued to kiss, Belle’s blouse was soon removed, exposing her bra.

Aden groaned lightly. “One minute” he muttered. “The condom” he added, before reaching into the bed side cabinet beside the bed and pulling out a small box.

They progressed to removing the rest of their clothes; Belle’s jeans and Aden’s trousers, before their bodies mingled into one.

Carina this was absolutely amazing... :)

Its good that Belle finally admitted she is depressed.... but I was on the edge of my seat when Aden walked into the bedroom and saw the pill packet and Belle asleep....

The flashbacks are amazing.... it shows us what Aden and Belle have had to go through just to get to where they are today... but I felt sorry for Aden when Belle said in the flashback he was worse then Angelo... that was so sad :(

But you've written everything so emotionally well... amazing.... well done

update soon ^_^

Archived