Now it's Rome and Away

Guest Barbara

Now it's Rome and Away

By Vicky Roach

May 13, 2010 12:00AM

24qo9yb.jpg

AFTER moving to Los Angeles at 18, Christopher Egan worked hard on his American accent.

So it's a little ironic to see the former Home and Away star playing a Pom in Letters to Juliet, his biggest film role yet, opposite Amanda Seyfried and veteran Vanessa Redgrave.

The English accent came a lot easier,22 Egan (left) says.

It helped that (my character) Charlie is quite unpleasant at the beginning that upper class British accent just goes so well with it.

Letters to Juliet tells the story of an American researcher (Seyfried) who goes to Italy with her fiance (Gael Garcia Bernal) on a kind of pre-honeymoon.

While he is being seduced by cheese and truffles, she stumbles across a 50-year-old love letter and decides to write back.

The letter inspires an elderly Englishwoman (Redgrave) to return to Italy to seek out the man she ran out on.

Egan plays Redgrave's disapproving grandson.

The idea of working with the grand dame of British theatre was intimidating, Egan admits. "I was definitely nervous.

"But she was so generous and made me feel so comfortable. She was super-friendly."

According to director Gary Winick, Egan's on-screen chemistry with Seyfriend clinched him the role.

But the attraction didn't spill over on set.

"The Italian girls are very beautiful,"he says. "

But I was trying not to get distracted. I just got out of a fairly long relationship, so the idea of a commitment is definitely not on the cards right now."

That didn't stop him appreciating the "most romantic place on the planet". Letters to Juliet is actually the third time he has worked in Italy.

Not long after moving to LA, he landed a role in the TV mini-series Empire, which shot for six months in Rome. In 2007, he returned to film the comedy Virgin Territory.

In his seven years spent in LA, Egan has been steadily building a career with roles in films Eragon and Resident Evil: Extinction and TV series such as Kings and Everwood.

"When you travel so far, you're really not here to muck around," he says.

But the 25-year-old admits that it took a bit of courage to cross the Pacific on his own at such a young age.

"The toughest thing is dealing with (rejection). People see the jobs you get, but they don't see the hundred others who you got so close to or you loved so much.

"You have to put on some thick skin."

Egan, who attended McDonald Performing Arts College in Sydney, will next star in a Roland Joffe romantic drama called Singular to be shot in India and Australia.

The idea of working at home, which he hasn't done since his time on Home and Away, appeals.

"What I miss most about Australia is my family - I have three brothers - the beaches and the coffee.

Source

--

It's good to see that he's doing well in the USA. :)

Here are some pictures of Christopher Egan (and Amanda Seyfried) at the premiere of 'Letters To Juliet' at Grauman's Chinese Theatre in the Hollywood section of Los Angeles, May 11, 2010.

21c8h1g.jpg9pz1mw.jpg

110kqkl.jpgqxjmuw.jpg

Credit for the pictures: news-de-stars.com

You can find many more pictures on Getty Images.com. Just type Chris Egan.

Archived