Remembrance of Time

Guest TelephotoMarigold

Chapter 21

El sank on to the sofa.

“Hey.” Roman said coming in from the garden. He had his shirt off and his torso glistened with sweat.

“Cutting the grass?” she asked him.

“Yeah. It’s easier with two hands on the mower.” He grimaced. “It seems to have a mind of its own.”

She nodded.

“I noticed that. “ she grinned. “I’ll get changed and come out and give you a hand.”

He shook his head.

“Sorry.” He said and caught her looking at him. “You are bushed sweetheart. If you are coming outside then it’s to sit in the sun and have a nap.”

She shook her head.

“No can do, I have to pick up the kids.” She murmured.

He frowned.

“I’m sorry El I know you’ll think I’m nagging but you seriously look exhausted. Will you think again about swapping bedrooms?” Roman said softly.

He turned and went into the kitchen and poured out two glasses of juice.

El eased up off the sofa and followed him.

“Ok who are you and what have you done with my husband?” she asked.

Roman chuckled as he handed her the glass.

“I know. I’m just appreciating all you are doing and you don’t have too.”

She looked at him.

“They are my children.”

He nodded.

“I know that. It’s the other stuff you are doing. Working shifts at the diner. Running around after me. Not being bitter because of what happened.”

She took a drink and didn’t say anything.

“I am bitter.” She said finally. “You hurt me.”

His eyes met with hers and he nodded acknowledging her words.

“I’m sorry.” He said.

She looked into his eyes.

“Sorry isn’t good enough. I trusted you.” She murmured.

“And I trusted you.” He nodded. “I am sorry I hurt you though.”

“Are you expecting me to say the same thing?” she asked.

He shook his head.

“No. You don’t have to explain to me.” He said and saw her give him a look.

She turned and went to sit down.

“El.” He said gently.

She stopped her back to him.

”I lost my temper and I’m sorry I hurt you. I shouldn’t have done it.”

She turned and looked at him.

“You tried to strangle me and say you shouldn’t have done it.” she sneered at him.

He shook his head.

“No I wanted to scare you and hurt you.” He confessed. “If I was trying to strangle you…” he broke off.

“Scare me?” she asked sinking down on the sofa.

“Yes. I wanted you to say that he didn’t matter. That you weren’t having an affair.” He knelt down in front of her. “I wanted to show you I was in hell.” He added.

She shook her head.

“So you hurt me in the worst way you could.”

He looked into her eyes and put his hand on hers.

“I didn’t actually think the plan through.” He said quietly. “I’m sure if I had actually used my brain at all then I wouldn’t have done it.”

She looked at him and wiped a tear from her face.

“El.” He said after a minute.

She shook her head.

“I can’t.” she said finally.

“It’s ok.” he murmured but he knew he was lying.

“I should go…”

He shook his head.

“I’ll ask Nic to take them for a bit and you are going for a lay down.” He told her.

She nodded.

“Fine.” She said.

He stood and held out his hand to her, she looked at him for a minute before she put her hand in his and he helped her up. He kept hold of her hand and led her up the stairs and into their room.

“It’s just a lay down.” He qualified when she turned to move away.

She nodded and let him help her under the covers. He pressed a kiss to her head and left her. He returned moments later with her drink.

“Stay.” She said softly.

“El?” he asked huskily.

“Stay.” She said again.

He smiled and sat on the bed. He stroked her hair and leaned down and kissed her.

“Do you really want me to stay?” he asked.

She nodded.

“I won’t.” he stopped and they looked at each other again. “I won’t make things awkward for you?” he asked.

She held out her arms to him without saying anything and he moved down the bed and held her. Their lips met and he kissed her deeply.

He stroked her all over and eased off her clothes, with a lot of help form her.

“This is a hell of a lot easier with two hands.” he smiled at her.

“That’s funny I didn’t notice it slowing you down any.” She grinned.

He brushed her hair away from her face and looked into her eyes.

“We are going to make love aren’t we?” he asked.

She looked puzzled.

“Well yes.” She said.

“Do you want me to wear a condom?” he asked.

She pushed at him.

“You think I would lay with you and give you something.” She swore at him.

“El no.” he said.

She stopped at his tone of voice.

“I think when I’m with you and there is nothing between us it is really intimate.” He said and kissed her again. “I’m asking if you would prefer to..”

“And that went so much smoother in my head.” he grumbled.

“Tell me again.” She said.

“I love being inside you with nothing between us.” He said kissing her. “I love feeling you wrapped around me sheathing me.” He whispered against her neck. “It’s so special. So loving. But if you want a barrier between us.” He looked into her eyes and saw her shake her head. “I want you to know that if you have any regrets about this and want to stop I will.” He pressed his lips to the sensitive spot on her neck.

She sighed.

“I want you.” She whispered. “I want to feel you inside me.”

He smiled and carried on kissing her as he moved her to spoon with him. The most comfortable position while she was pregnant.

He moved slowly as he joined with her.

“Oh El you are so beautiful.” He said, “I’ve missed you so much.” He sighed and moaned as they moved together.

“Don’t stop.” She moaned.

He chuckled.

“No chance.” He breathed. “Oh god you are beautiful.” He groaned.

He bit his lip to stop himself from telling her he loved her he pressed kisses to the back of her neck instead.

She rocked back against him as she felt her climax start.

“I love you.” She moaned.

He grinned.

“I love you so much.” He responded and moved against her.

His arms tightened around her as he too climaxed.

He felt her falling asleep in his arms and he sighed before easing out of the bed. He took a rapid shower careful not to get his cast wet and get dressed. He went down the stairs and out the house into the garden. He walked down to the bottom of the garden and picked some daisies and took them into the house. He put some in a vase on the table and selected one to take up the stairs. He put it on the pillow next to her and pressed a gentle kiss to her lips.

She sighed in her sleep and he pulled up the covers over her and was torn between joining her and going back down stairs. He headed back down the stairs and went into the kitchen and started cooking a meal for them. He managed after a fashion with only the one hand. He looked up and saw her standing watching him.

“Hey.” He said softly. “I expected you to sleep longer.”

He moved towards her and kissed her gently on the cheek.

She looked at him with a puzzled expression in her face.

“Have you really changed?” she asked him finally.

He shook his head.

“No I just know I hurt you and things have to be different between us.” He murmured.

She glared at him.

“We are not getting back together.” She said finally.

He grinned.

“I know. We aren’t even talking about that. I just want you to know that I appreciate you and I also appreciate that I hurt you and in turn hurt us.”

She turned around went into the lounge and started to search the room.

“And what are you looking for?” he asked after a minute.

“The stack of women’s magazines you are quoting from.”

He chuckled.

“I admit to reading one but I was really bored.” He confessed.

“One?” she asked.

He nodded smiling at her.

“Then where has all that crap come from?” she asked him.

“Crap?” he murmured.

She nodded.

“All the touchy girlie stuff.” She looked at him. “You sound like you’ve been taken over by a woman.”

He laughed and manoeuvred her to the sofa as she started to giggle.

“Uh huh.” He said and kissed her.

She put her arms around his neck and kissed him back.

“We still have stuff to work out so I’m not taking this truce for granted.” He murmured sitting next to her on the sofa.

She nodded.

“For example you need to sort out who you want to be with.” He said. “If it’s me and I can’t tell you how much I need it to be me then you have to break it off with him.”

She looked him in the eyes.

“And if it’s him?”

He looked at her.

“Then I will let you go so that you are happy.” He said finally. “Because I love you.”

She kissed him.

“I need some time.” she said and he nodded.

“Then you have time. Doesn’t mean I’m not going to keep seducing you though.” He said with a wicked smile.

She put her arms around him and rested her head on his shoulder.

“I think I’ll manage with that.” She whispered and kissed his neck.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 22

Somehow the kids had picked up on the fact that Mummy and Daddy seemed to be happier and had become over excited and it had taken ages to settle them down to go to sleep.

“And you are having another one.” He grumbled. “Just as we started getting a full nights sleep.”

She looked at him.

“Now if all you were having was sleep I wouldn’t be in this state.” She said and led him downstairs.

He smiled at her and moved to sit on the sofa next to her.

She leant into him and he put his good arm around her.

He sighed happily.

“How did we get pregnant anyway?” he asked. “We need to sort out the nursery.”

She looked at him.

“Well it was pretty much the normal way.” She said glibly unable to tell him the truth.

“Ok.” he leaned forward and kissed her.

“Ok?” she asked.

He nodded.

“Was it planned?” he asked.

She nodded.

“Yes I planned to get pregnant and I couldn’t talk to you about it.” she owned up.

He looked at her.

“I am angry.” He said.

She nodded.

“But I also took the choice away from you when we conceived Samuel.” He murmured. “I should have know that we needed to use extra protection after what we had just gone through.”

“We gave away all our nursery furniture.” She said.

He nodded.

“Yup.” He grinned. “But of course I should have known that my superman swimmers would get me into trouble again.”

She glared at him before she started laughing.

He grinned and kissed her.

“Shall we go to bed?” he asked her after a long time.

She nodded.

He smiled and led her upstairs to bed.

El woke up when the alarm went off and groaned.

“Hey.” he said softly.

“I’m exhausted.” She said. “And when I open my eyes you better not be looking smug.”

“Me, no.” he murmured wiping the smile from his face.

He looked at her and saw dark rings under her eyes.

“Ok hun. I’m doing the shift at the diner. I can just about cope. And I’ll speak to Nic see if she can do the school run today.” He said and pressed a kiss to her lips

El nodded and rolled over. Within moments she had fallen back to sleep.

He looked at her for a long moment a worried expression on his face. He placed a gentle kiss to her lips and moved out of bed and started the day.

He grabbed a shower and dressed before waking up the children and instructed them to start getting ready for school. He took hold of Sammy’s hand and walked him down the stairs and let him watch his cartoon show while he got breakfast started.

He placed the beakers of juice on the table before getting cereal and bowls and milk. “All homework done?” he asked them, although he knew that it was only Meggy who tried to get out of finishing it.

“Yes.” They chorused.

“Where is Mummy?” Sophie asked.

“In bed she needs a bit of extra sleep.” He told her.

She frowned.

“We should have gone to bed on time.” She said guilty.

Roman nodded.

“And I shouldn’t have hurt my hand.” He added, giving his daughter a context to put her thoughts into.

Sophie looked at him.

“You know Mummy always does extra stuff and she’s just tired.” He explained slowly.

Sophie nodded.

“Well I can do extra stuff too. I can tidy our rooms and pick up after the others.” She decided.

He smiled at her.

“If we need help we will ask you first ok?” he said and placed a kiss on his daughter’s head.

She grinned back at him and hell if it wasn’t the same grin as El’s.

“Now eat your breakfast please.” He asked and fetched Sammy from in front of the tv, switching it off and placing him at the table.

“Can I have toast?” he asked “And Jam?”

Roman nodded and went back into the kitchen.

Nic walked in through the front door.

“Hey! Did someone need a school run doing?” she asked, Angel and Robbie walking in behind her.

The children started chattering as Nic went into the kitchen. She poured a cup of coffee for herself and smiled at her dad.

“El ok?” she asked.

He nodded before he took a plate of toast with jam and put it on the table. He picked up a piece and put it on a small plate in front of Sammy and let the others help themselves.

“She’s just tired.” He said and tired to stop the blush on his cheeks.

“Uh huh. Perhaps you should have got some sleep last night.” Nic said with a grin.

He looked at her without comment.

“How is Geoff? We haven’t seen much of you lately.” He murmured.

Nic nodded.

“No Aden thought it was a good idea to give you guys space.” She grinned. “Seems to have worked.” She said with another look under her lashes at him.

He smiled.

“Early days.” He said. “But I’m hopeful.” He smiled at her and poured himself a second cup of coffee.

“Dad, don’t screw up again ok? We need El.” Nic said seriously. “Whatever is going on do you really think she would cheat?”

He looked at her and remained quiet. That question had driven him nuts.

“I don’t know. One minute I’m certain that there would be a perfectly reasonable explanation but the next I keep thinking of every time she said she was going out or for a drive or. I don’t know every flimsy excuse she came up with. And I’m back to the stupid jealous fool that caused this whole mess.”

Nic nodded.

“Well get past it.” she said simply. “Because Aden and I are convinced that it’s not what we think.” She paused and looked him in the eyes. “And you know Aden is someone who would know. He said that she was a mess when that whole thing happened.”

She saw her dad had clenched his hands in reflex and she grinned.

“Uh huh.” She said.

He nodded.

“I know. It’s reflex. I’m over that, seriously.”

“Aden is a lucky man.” She nodded. “You must have been mellow that day.”

“I think they slipped something in my coffee to relax me when they broke the news.” He grinned.

Nic laughed and reached up to press a kiss to her Dad’s cheek.

“Or maybe it was the fact that you loved both of them.” she suggested.

“Tell that Aden he still owes me back rent.” Roman grumbled.

Nic grinned and went into the dining room.

“Well can my kids go upstairs and wash their hands and faces please and brush their teeth.” Nic asked, knowing that they had second toothbrushes here because they stayed over so often.

Roman looked at his kids.

“I want you washed and dressed in 5 minutes. Teeth brushed. Georgie please help Sammy. Meggy your turn to clear the table so put that homework away that you should have done last night.” He told them. “Go.” He said and they scrambled off chairs and moved up the stairs.

Meggy glared at him before putting away her books and pen and standing. She moved round the table and put the bowls in a stack and carried them into the kitchen and put them by the sink, then the plates and the beakers. She picked up the Milk jug and put it in the fridge.

Roman nodded and she ran upstairs to join the others.

“Boy you are strict dad.” Nic said.

“Don’t get at me. That is El. “ he said defensively.

“Uh huh.” She said again smiling at him, “You love it.” she told him and for the second time she gave him a kiss and hug. “I wish I had grown up with you and El.” Nic said softly. “I’m sure I wouldn’t have made half the mistakes that I did.”

“Nic.” He murmured. “You know that I’m always here if you need to talk don’t you.”

She nodded.

“It’s not that I’m unhappy but I just I don’t know. Wish things had been different.”

Roman nodded.

“You need to forgive yourself. You were a kid. Kids are allowed to make mistakes.”

“Was I yours?” Nic asked.

He shook his head.

“No you were my saving.” He told her. “I would have been someone different if you hadn’t come along.” He said honestly.

She grinned.

“I like that.” She said softly. “It answers a lot of questions.”

He grinned.

“I love you more now than I ever did.” He told her. “It’s not that you’ve grown up and have this wonderful life with Geoff its that you let me love you.”

She blinked.

“Ok that is enough.” She declared. “I’m wearing mascara.”

He chuckled.

“Take the hoard to School.” He instructed.

He gathered up schoolbags and gave them all kisses and hugs as they moved out the car. He waved them off before tidying the kitchen and making some breakfast for El. He took the tray upstairs and woke her with kisses.

“Hey.” She said not opening her eyes.

“Leah said that she can manage.” He grinned. “So you’ll have to put up with me for the day.”

She moved slowly and he plumped the pillows behind her and smiled at him.

“Really?” she asked. “Well we should sort out the nursery.” She grinned.

“Uh huh.” He smiled. “I was planning to come back to bed for a bit.”

“A bit of what Mister?”

He grinned.

“A cuddle and some sleep.” He clarified.

She chuckled.

“I have a scan this afternoon.” She told him.

He nodded.

He put the tray beside her and she picked up a piece of toast and took a bite.

“Would you like me to come with you?” he asked.

She nodded.

“Because I would like that too.” He added and watched the slow smile on her face.

She leaned forward and kissed him.

“Now eat your breakfast I’m going to go make a phone call.” He smiled at her and stroked her hair back from her face before standing up and moving away.

They waited in the hospital to be called through for the scan. He was holding her hand and he felt her grip tighten as the doors opened and a couple walked out. He looked at her face and then at the man. He was tall with dark hair and younger than he was. He wondered if that were the attraction, he asked himself bitterly, the younger fitter model. His eyes met with El’s and he saw her pale as she looked at the other woman. He squeezed her hand thinking this must be hard for her to be faced with the wife. And well in the maternity wing of the hospital which usually meant one thing.

She looked at Roman and smiled at him squeezing his hand in turn.

Nate looked at his sister and smiled at her and gave a slow nod. She grinned back at him before he walked past her, his wife on his arm.

Roman saw the interchange and grimaced.

“What?” she asked him, seeing his expression.

“Well let me see. That is the other man, who is married. And he just had to look at you and you started glowing. What chance do I have?”

She leaned over and kissed him. Neither of them noticed Rachel’s approach.

“Ut hum.” Rachel said coughing discretely. “No wonder you two are always in here.”

Roman pulled away and looked at her.

“Actually its time for the truth. I’m madly in love with you Rachel and getting my wife pregnant is the only way I can keep seeing you.” He grinned and felt El hit him in the ribs. “Hey.” He muttered at her.

“Sorry. “ she said with a big smile. “My hand slipped.”

He chuckled and stood up and turning he reached down to help her up. They went though to the examination room and he helped her on the table. She adjusted her clothes and Rachel smeared the gel on her stomach before moving the wand over he belly.

She switched on the audio and they heard the heartbeat.

“Ok here is your baby. “ Rachel said.

El looked over to the monitor and saw Rachel frown.

“What is it?” she asked her worriedly.

“Nothing that we don’t already know. The baby is a bit small.” Rachel said and reached over and stroked El’s hair from her face. “I think we want to bring you in and give the baby a boost.” She murmured.

El looked over at Roman.

“We’ll manage.” He grinned. “You and the baby need looking after.”

She nodded a tear falling down her face.

“Hey.” He said and leaned to press a kiss to her lips. “It will be ok.” he told her.

“Well let’s get a room sorted for you.” Rachel said to her.

“now?” El asked panicking.

Rachel nodded.

“You don’t think I’m stupid enough to let you go home do you? You’d not come back.” She grinned.

El looked over at Roman.

“We will manage.” He told her.

She nodded slowly.

Rachel went out and Roman helped her sit up and handed her some tissue to wipe the gel off. He took it from her shaking fingers and threw it in the bin before sitting next to her and putting his arm around her. She gave in to the tears she had been bottling up.

“El sweetheart.” He said softly stroking her hair.

Rachel came back in.

“We have room ready.” She told her. “So we are going to get you settled. I presume you want to walk.” She murmured grinning at the fiery look El gave her.

El manoeuvred off the bed and Rachel led them to the room. She left them a moment returning with a pair of scrubs for her to wear with slippers and dressing gown.

“I need you to get into bed and then we will set up a drip.” Rachel told her.

El nodded but raised frightened eyes to Roman.

He looked at Rachel uncertain what to say then from somewhere inside him came the words and he had no idea if they would help..

“Ella I love you and we will make it through this.”

She looked into his eyes and tried to smile.

Rachel left them to it.

Chapter 23

Roman waited until El had fallen asleep before seeking out Aden. He took one look at Aden’s face and grinned.

“No.” Aden said.

“Look El has just been admitted because of a problem with the baby and I need two hands.” Roman looked at him. “It feels ok. And I’ll sign a waiver to say I went against medical advice.”

Aden sighed.

“It’s only been 4 weeks Roman. There are no guarantees that it has healed in that time.” he pointed out.

Roman nodded.

“I need the cast off. I’ll wear one of those splints but I have to take care of El.”

Aden sighed.

“I’ll check your wrist.” He said. “But only because I suspect you’ll take it off yourself if I don’t.”

“Ok.”

Aden took him into an examination room and arranged for a x-ray to be taken of his hand. He looked at it carefully before he went and removed the cast.

“Your wrist is fine. And the bones have Knit together but and I ma being serious here you need to wear a splint for the next 4 weeks otherwise I’ll have you back in a cast.” Aden told him.

Roman nodded.

“Fine.” He agreed.

He went back to see Ella and saw that she wasn’t alone. He wanted to go in and confront them but couldn’t bring himself to cause her anymore worry. He caught a glance of her through the window in the door and she was smiling. He flinched and moved away.

“This is my wife Suzy. “ Nate said finally introducing them. “I’m sorry that it has taken so long for me to do this step but well I didn’t want to explain about my dad.” He said to both of them.

“This stupid idiot should have told me.”. Suzy murmured.

“Yeah well it wasn’t a good thing to tell people. Hey hun, my dad was a rapist and I have a sister.” Nate muttered.

“Hey.” El grinned. “My mum was psychotic but you don’t catch me boasting about it.”

Suzy laughed.

“You two are so alike.” She said with a grin.

El giggled.

“I can’t wait to introduce you to my kids.” She said. “Sophie will love you.”

She picked up her phone and dialled, getting Roman’s voicemail again. She hung up without leaving a message and sighed.

“Is he still in the building?” Nate asked.

El nodded.

“Somewhere.” She muttered.

“Why don’t I go find him? “Nate asked then caught her look. “On second thoughts you are right.” He grinned.

“So tell me how many kids do you have?” Suzy murmured.

“Sophie and Georgie are twins, brother and sister, then I have Meggy and Sammy. I also have Mike, who is 18.”

“And you are having another one?” She asked her.

“That would be your husband’s fault. He convinced me that it would be a good idea if we had babies close together in age.”

Suzy smiled sadly for a moment and Nate came and held her hand, perching on the side of the chair next to her.

“They will still be close in age.” Suzy said looking over at her and placing a protective hand on her stomach.

El grinned.

“Just so long as you aren’t planning a really big family because this tis the last time and I still have to tell my husband about all this.

“I expect that you will stop talking about this stupid divorce business.”

Ell shook her head.

“It’s still on the table.” She grinned. “It’s complicated.”

“Yeah.” He agreed.

He went on to tell Suzy about the dinner they had where he had to confiscate her phone to stop her from checking it every five minutes

She laughed at him.

“I was not that bad.” She grouched.

He grinned at her.

They started as the door opened and Aden walked in.

“Hey.” She greeted him.

“Am I interrupting?” He asked.

“No!” El grinned. “I want to introduce my brother Nate.” She said proudly.

He laughed.

“So you’re the mysterious other man.” Aden said.

“And his wife Suzy.” She pointed out.

Aden nodded and grinned as El squirmed in her seat.

“I forgot to add him to the list. This is Aden Jefferies my stepson. And I also have Nicole my stepdaughter.” She looked at Aden before looking back to Suzy. “Don’t worry there won’t be a test to see if you can remember them all later.”

Suzy laughed.

“Anyway I was looking for your husband but he seems to have disappeared.” Aden grinned.

“Tell me about it. I wanted to introduce him and his phone is switched off.” El said before sighing and leaning back on the pillows.

“I’ll go take a look in the canteen.” Aden said

She nodded.

“Look we can see you are tired. How about you tell him when you see him and we’ll come back tomorrow for a visit.” Suzy suggested.

“Give Aden a couple of minutes first.” El begged.

Suzy grinned.

“You are not going to believe how alike you two are.” She said to them.

Nate laughed and gave his wife a kiss.

“Hey.” El grinned. “Stop it.” she gave a mock groan.

Suzy chuckled.

They looked up and saw Aden come in with Roman behind him.

“I found him.” He said unnecessarily.

She looked at Roman and held out her hand to him. He moved over ot the bed and perched on the side of it.

“This is my brother Nate and his wife Suzy.” She told him. “And guys this is my husband Roman.” She smiled at him.

Nate stood up and held out his hand to Roman who took it within his own.

“I’m sorry that we’ve been so secretive.” Nate said with a grin. “I’ll let El fill you in.”

Suzy grinned and stood up. She moved over to the bed and kissed El on the cheek.

“I am so glad I’ve finally met you.” She murmured.

El nodded.

“Me too.” She said.

They moved out leaving Aden and Roman in the room with her.

“Aden.” Roman said.

“Nope. I’ve been waiting for this explanation for too long.” He grinned at them.

She shook her head.

“Leave.” She said.

He frowned at her.

“Fine.” He murmured and moved to the door and out of it.

Roman moved off the bed.

“This is going to be good isn’t it.” he said.

She could tell he was hurt form his tone of voice and hated that she had hurt him.

“Well. Nate tracked me down. We were planning to come clean but well he didn’t want to upset Suzy.”

He looked over at her.

“But it was ok for you to upset me.” He muttered,

She paled.

“No. If I hadn’t have hit my head then you wouldn’t have thought I was having an affair and..”

He interrupted.

“So it’s my fault.”

She sighed.

“If you shut up for two minutes.”

He sat in the chair and folded his arms across his chest.

“No.” she said. “Not the arms.”

He looked at her.

“What.” He said. “You are dictating my body language now.”

She grinned at him.

“You do the arms when you pretend you are going to consider whatever is told to you but then go off and do what ever you want anyway. If you don’t want to hear the explanation and want to continue thinking I’ve had an affair then just carry on.” She folded her arms and looked at him.

“Fine.” He said after a moment unfolding his arms.

“Suzy had a miscarriage and he didn’t want to upset her. She was very low. She saw his face this afternoon and went mental at him in the car park thinking that he had been having an affair with me. So he finally worked up the courage to tell her.” she sighed. “ It was the bit where he had to say what his dad did to my mum that upset him. He couldn’t get his head round it.” she added softly.

“And your biological father?” Roman asked gently.

She shook her head.

“He’s out there somewhere. Neither of us knows where. He left Nate’s mother a long time ago.”

He moved to the bed and put his arms around her.

“You scared me.” He said finally. “I came back and I saw you in here with him and I thought that was it.”

She looked up at him and kissed him.

“I take it you being in this condition is because you planned on having a baby at the same time as Suzy.” He worked out.

She nodded.

“And when she lost the baby it seemed more of a bad time to tell her.” She added.

He held her for a long time without speaking.

“I love you El.”

She nodded.

“We aren’t automatically together because you have the answers you need Roman.” She warned.

“God I know that but I am so relieved that there isn’t another man.” He grinned.

“Uh huh.” She said looking at him. “And I suppose you are about to tell me why your cast is off.”

He looked sheepish.

“I had Aden remove it so I could drive and sort the kids out.” He confessed.

She chuckled.

“Was that under duress?” she murmured.

He shook his head.

“I didn’t threaten him with violence once.” He said softly.

She yawned.

“I’m going to let you get some rest and go get the children. Anything special you want bringing in?” he asked her.

She shook her head.

He lay her back on the pillows and pulled the covers up, tucking her in before standing and going to the door.

“I love you.” She said softly as she drifted off to sleep.

He smiled and moved out.

Chapter 24

El woke up when the children arrived.

“Hey.” Roman said softly.

He walked over to the bed and pressed a kiss to her forehead.

“I needed an independent homework checker.” He told her.

“Ok.” she murmured.

He lifted Sammy on to the bed next to her.

“Mummy.” He said softy. “When are you coming home?” he asked his bottom lip trembling.

“Soon I hope. The doctors are making Mummy have a nice long rest” she grinned at him. “Now what book is it?”

He looked at her.

“Is the baby alright?” he asked.

She put her arm round him and gave him a hug.

“Of course.” She told him, her eyes meeting Roman’s.

“Why?” Roman asked his youngest son.

“I heard Nic saying the baby was small.” He said to them. “But baby’s is supposed to be small or the stork won’t be able to carry them.”

“That’s right but you see that bag there.” El said pointing to the drip. “It’s giving me special medicine so the baby can grow.”

He looked up.

“Can I have some of that cuz I is little too and then I can go to school with Sophie.”

El grinned and hugged him close, smothering him with kisses.

“But if you went to school with Sophie you would have lots of homework too.”

He looked at Sophie and then his dad.

“Ok.” he said nodding. “I don’ts like homework.” He announced.

She listened to him do his reading and then Meggy showed her spellings. Sophie read out her story and then Georgie read his.

“Well thank you for coming to see me tonight.” She told them when it was time for them to go. She gave each of them a hug and kiss,

“Can you wait outside please?” Roman asked his children.

Sophie led them out and over to some seats. She made sure she had hold of Sammy’s hand.

“How are you?” he asked her.

She smiled.

“Bored and tired, despite sleeping most of the day.” She looked at him.

He sat beside her on the bed and stroked a loose strand of her hair back from her face before caressing her cheek.

“I’m missing you.” He told her and leaned forward to kiss her.

She put her arms around and held him.

“Shouldn’t be for much longer now.” She told him. “They are taking me for another scan in the morning. Hopefully they will let us home then.”

He smiled.

“Right I’m going to go find those kids of ours and take them home. I’ll come back as soon as I drop them off at school in the morning.” He murmured and kissed her again.

She smiled.

He moved over to the door and looked back at her one last time.

Rachel looked at her and smiled gently. She moved the wand over her belly and tried again.

El looked at her and suddenly felt a finger of panic run down her spine.

“Rachel?” she asked.

“It’s ok.” she said.

“You’re lying Rachel.” El said and moved restlessly on the bed. She leaned upwards and looked at the other woman.

“El I need you to stay calm please.” Rachel told her. “I’m just going to check with a colleague.”

Ella fell back flat on the bed and looked up seeing the fluorescent lighting. She tried keeping calm but the feeling of something very wrong wouldn’t leave her.

She turned her head and looked when the door opened and Rachel came back in with another doctor in a white coat. He moved over to the ultrasound and placed the wand on her belly. His eyes met with Rachel’s and he nodded.

Rachel took hold of Ella’s hand and met her frantic gaze.

“Ok Ella.” She began.

“No.” El said with a sick moan.

“I’m sorry.” She said. “There is no heartbeat.”

She looked at Rachel and tried to make sense of the words.

“No.” she said.

“El.” Rachel murmured gently. “I am really sorry.”

“I don’t believe you.” El said her eyes flying around the room looking for anything except the pity she saw in Rachel’s face.

“Please no.” she moaned.

Rachel nodded at the other doctor and he moved out of the room. She grabbed the roll of tissue and ripped a section off to remove the gel and adjusted El’s clothes. She stroked her hair back and looked into her eyes.

“I’m sorry El.” She murmured again.

Tears squeezed out of her eyes and ran down her face.

“I want Roman.” El said finally in a hurt voice.

Rachel nodded.

“I’ll get a message to him ok.” she said softly. “I’m going to get you taken back to your room.”

Rachel looked at her again before moving out side the room and making arrangements. She phoned Roman personally and had to leave a voicemail asking him to come in because El needed him.

Roman watched as Sammy ran over to join his friends before heading to the hospital. He walked into the hospital and saw Rachel standing outside El’s room.

“What is it?" he asked moving rapidly over to her.

She put her hand on his arm and led him to the nearby seats.

“We took El for a scan this morning.” Rachel began.

He felt his heartbeat falter then quicken as the panic washed over him. Inside his head he was praying that El was ok.

“There isn’t an easy way to break this news but we couldn’t find a heartbeat. I’m afraid you’ve lost the baby.”

He closed his eyes feeling grief and thankfulness that Ella was ok in equal measure.

“El?” he asked stupidly, his head still trying to comprehend what had happened to them.

“She’s ok. She asked for you.”

He nodded in acknowledgement.

“Roman there is more. I know you are both going to need time to adjust, but you will need to make a decision. Normally in cases like this we wait for birth to begin naturally but you may want to consider inducing the birth.”

Roman looked at Rachel.

“You are saying that she has to give birth?” he asked.

Rachel nodded once slowly.

A look of horror went over Roman’s features.

“You can’t ask her to do that. Surely there has to be another way?” he moaned.

Rachel took hold of his hand.

“I wish there was.” She murmured.

Roman stood and moved away going inside El’s room.

“Hey.” He said softly.

She turned to look at him. He saw the tears on her face and knew that this wasn’t some sick nightmare that he was dreaming. He went and lay on the bed taking her into his arms. She clung to him and began to sob.

“I love you El. I love you and I would do anything to stop this happening.” He said to her, knowing that words could never remove this pain.

“I need you. I’m not strong enough.”

He sighed.

“I’m am right here. “ he murmured and kissed her. “I’m not going anywhere.” He felt a trickle of moisture falling from his own eyes as El’s pain broke down his barriers. He could take anything except seeing her hurt.

Some time later Rachel moved silently into the room.

“Roman.” She said.

He nodded.

“El.” He murmured getting her attention.

She looked at him.

“They want to know if” his voice broke.

“Induce me.” She said.

“Yes.” He muttered after a long silence.

“Will you be with me?” she asked in that hurt voice again.

“Every moment. I won’t leave you alone.” He promised.

She nodded.

“And afterwards?” she said fresh tears falling.

“We find that if you hold the baby it makes it easier. You can say goodbye.”

“I don’t have a name.” Ella said looking at Roman. “I never gave the baby a name.”

He moaned and his arms tightened.

“We will name our baby” he said to her.

She nodded.

“So how does this work?” she asked Rachel.

“We will get you ready and give you medication to start the labour.”

“And it will be like…”

“It will feel like a normal birth. We will take you to the operating room and..” Rachel’s voice broke. She looked at them. “You will ..”

“It’s ok.” El said. “Let’s get started.”

Roman moved off the bed.

“El I need to phone Nic and get her to pick up the children. I will be outside.”

El nodded.

He kissed her quickly before heading out to use his phone. His hand was shaking as he tried to dial the number. It took him two attempts to get it right. He explained that he was at the hospital and could she collect all the children and keep them overnight. She asked him what was wrong and he couldn’t frame the words to tell her cutting the connection instead. He switched the phone back off and moved back into El’s room.

“Rachel has given me the injection.” She said.

He nodded, trying to swallow the lump in his throat and moved over to the bed. She moved over and he lay beside her again.

After a time he cleared his throat.

“What name did you have in mind?” he asked his voice breaking.

She gasped.

“I don’t know. I thought maybe Francesca.” She told him pressing herself as close to him as possible.

His arms tightened for a fraction of a second as a tremor went through him. He wanted to ask why she’d thought the baby was a girl but couldn’t.

She nodded as fresh tears fell from her eyes.

“It’s started.” She told him.

He moved on the bed and put his arms tighter around trying to take her pain into his own body as the shudder of a contraction went through her.

She looked at him.

“I need to do this alone.” She told him.

“El?” he asked.

She shook her head.

“I can feel you trembling.” She told him looking into his eyes.

“Because I want to take away your pain.” He murmured. “And I don’t know how.”

She smiled at him and he did the only thing he could he kissed her.

“I love you El.” He said softly.

She held his gaze until another contraction went through her and she closed her eyes.

“I’m going to be sick.” She muttered.

He reached to the side of her moving off the bed and grabbing a tray in fluid movements before helping her, as she was sick. He got a damp cloth form the bathroom and wiped her face with it. Hours went past until they were taken to the operating room.

Chapter 25

To everyone else she was still El but he knew there was something wrong about her. She smiled at the children and was their Mum but he could see something in the way she held them. Some indeterminable sadness about her that others did not see. He poured out a glass of wine for her and moved outside to sit with her.

“Here.” He said holding out the glass of chilled white wine.

“Thank you.” She murmured taking the glass from him. Their fingers touched and he looked at her expecting the old way they used to be.

He sat down beside her, maintaining the distance between them knowing she would move away from him if he got any closer.

He took hold of her hand and she sat there for a while before she moved restlessly and tugged her hand free. She swapped and put the glass in to her other hand to avoid contact with him and he had to hide a smile.

“We need to start thinking about Christmas.” He told her.

She looked at him.

“Too early yet.”

He ginned and pulled out a piece of paper from his pocket and handed it to her. It was a Christmas Present list.

“Meggy?” she asked looking at it.

He nodded.

“She left it on the table this morning.” He grinned.

“Well we better start thinking about it then. It’s what 7 weeks away.” She told him taking a sip of wine.

He looked at her.

“El it’s in five weeks.” He said and looked at her.

Her eyes met his.

She stood and moved away restlessly.

“Ok we should I don’t know.” She looked at him and that faraway look she had came back into her eyes.

“We should decide if we are going to do a big dinner and have your family round.” He said.

She looked at him.

“No. “ she said her tone harsh. “Not this year.”

“It might be good.” He suggested. “We can spend a bit of quiet time and let them keep the kids entertained.”

She shook her head.

“No I don’t want to be around people.” She stated and walked into the house.

He stood and followed her.

“El.” He said. “We can be quiet if you need to.”

She nodded.

“But your dad and Irene will be coming to the Bay anyway. And there is Nate and Suzy.” He murmured.

She flinched at mention of Suzy and he knew that he had lost her then. Her brothers wife was heavily pregnant. She would retreat back into that little space she had made for herself.

She looked at him raising frightened eyes.

“El.” He said softly and she shook her head.

“I don’t want a lot of people here. Maybe Nic could have the big Christmas there.” She moved into the kitchen and drained the glass before she placed it by the sink. She turned and walked toward the stairs.

“I’m going to go to bed. We’ll talk about this tomorrow.” She told him and moved away.

He nodded and watched her walk away. It was one more thing to be added to the list of items they would discuss tomorrow. He knew she would put off making a decision and he would end up making their choices, which she would resent. He sighed and swapped the glass of wine for a large shot of whisky.

He made his way upstairs and into the bedroom. She was already undressed and in bed. He went into the en suite and took a brief shower before coming out and climbing into bed next to her. She stirred briefly as the mattress depressed with his weight.

“What time is the alarm set for?” he asked.

“Seven.” She murmured.

“Ok. I’ve got early shift this week. You’ll be ok to do the school run? “ he asked her.

She turned on to her back.

“Yes.” She said softly.

“Good. Saves me rushing.” He turned to her and stroked her hair back form her face spreading the long strands on the pillow before leaning over and kissing her.

He meant a simple kiss but she responded and his hands started to caress her. She moved and his kisses became more passionate. He tried to ease back but it had been so long. He moved until he was above her. She put her arms round him and he kissed her some more.

“I love you.” He whispered.

She turned her head for the briefest of moments before turning back and kissing him. He made slow love to her crying out her name as he climaxed with in her. She lay quiet after and he looked at her knowing she hadn’t enjoyed it.

“El?” he questioned softly.

“I thought it would make it alright.” She told him. ”But it doesn’t.”

“Make what alright?” he asked moving to her side.

He tried to put his arms around her but she moved away and he flinched.

“Us. This.” She murmured. “But I don’t love you anymore and this doesn’t feel right.”

He pulled back and switched the light back on before sitting up.

“Say that again.” He instructed.

She sat up and turned putting her feet on the floor before standing up.

“I don’t love you. I thought it was because of the baby but it’s not. I don’t want you.” She said walking towards the en suite.

“So you what? Wait until we make love finally to tell me that?” he muttered.

“It was just sex.” She said and went into the en suite. He heard the shower come on and he swore before leaping out of bed and following her.

“Just sex?” he asked.

“Yes.” She said.

He looked at her before moving away and back into the bedroom. As he pulled on his bathrobe he found himself looking at their bed for a long moment before moving to the door and down the stairs. He went silently into the kitchen and poured out a large glass of whisky.

She climbed out of the shower and pulled on her robe before going downstairs. She watched him leaning over the counter top the whisky bottle open in front of him the crystal glass in his hand.

“I think we should separate. I’ll go to the studio in the morning. We can work out custody arrangements later but they should probably stay here because of school.” She said softly. “I’m sorry.”

He looked at her.

“Sounds very civil.” He told her.

She nodded.

“We’ve done the recriminations and the counselling there doesn’t seem anything left to say.” She murmured.

“no.” he added. “Not if you don’t love me.”

He looked at her.

“It’s a pity you showered because I feel like having some more sex.”

She shook her head.

“That isn’t a good idea.”

“Well I think it is.” He put the glass on the top and turned towards her. “Don’t worry you don’t have to fake anything you can just lay there.”

She backed up away from him and the look on his face until her back was against the wall.

“I’m saying No.” she looked him in the eyes. “If you do this it will be against my will.”

He looked at her.

“You get the best of all worlds don’t you. Well take your precious body back to bed I’m going to stay here tonight. Who knows maybe if I drink enough I’ll forget what a b*tch you are.”

El took a long look at him before turning and running up the stairs. He heard their bedroom door shut and he collapsed on the sofa.

Chapter 26

He drove the overexcited children to the studio. He and El had agreed alternate weeks with the children now that school was out. They thought it was a big adventure. He pulled up and got out of the car. El was already at the door waiting for them. He watched as the children scrambled out of the car and ran over to her.

“Hey.” She said softly.

He nodded acknowledging her.

She led the children in and he carried up the bags with their clothes and some essential toys putting them into Mike’s old room.

“I’ve made coffee if you want some?” she asked.

He looked at the coffee pot and then at her. She had her hair down and was wearing a pair of shorts and a loose cotton top. Her feet were bare.

“Thanks.” He said deciding to stay rather than shoot off straight away as he’d intended.

She poured out the coffee, going to the fridge to get out cream to add to it and he turned to hide a smile. She drank her coffee black so she must have got the cream in for him.

“Here you go.” She murmured handing him the cup.

She moved around the kitchen getting out a plate of biscuits and cakes and placing them on the table before adding the children’s beakers and a jug of juice. They came out of the bedroom and raced up to her for another hug.

“I’ve missed you.” She said to them.

“When are you coming home Mummy?” Sammy asked her.

She kissed him again.

“We’ve explained to you sweetheart Mummy needs to live here for a time.” she said.

Sophie looked at Georgie and he shrugged.

“Are you getting a divorce?” Meggy asked.

El looked at Roman in appeal and he shrugged.

“Maybe. We don’t know.” El said. “We are taking some time apart.”

As always her heart broke at explaining the separation to the children.

“Have you finished?” he asked the children. “Mummy has put out cakes for you.”

They sat round the table for a minute before Meggy got up and rushed to the bedroom. She came back with a gift box and handed that to El.

“What is this?” she asked, her glance automatically going to Roman.

“The children wanted to do something for you.” He said.

She opened it and saw a photo album and grinned. She pulled out the book and looked inside. There were pictures of each of the cats and they had written a story about each of them, Cookie, Toffee, Fudge, Biscuits and Popcorn.

“We got Daddy to take the photos and we chose the best ones.” Sophie told her.

“Yeah, I thought we should write a story too.” Georgie added.

“Well this is the bestest present I have ever had.” She told them.

“Daddy did Cookie.” Meggy said.

She turned the pages until she found the story he had written about Cookie and she grinned as she read it.

She went round and gave them all kisses.

“Kiss Daddy too. Meggy instructed.

Roman grinned.

“Yeah, kiss me too.” He said watching a stain of colour on her face.

She went a darker red before standing on tiptoe and pressing her lips against his.

He put his arm around her waist to steady her and pressed his lips to hers, prolonging the kiss for an extra moment.

“Well I need to go.” He said softly.

“Can’t daddy stay for dinner?” Meggy asked.

El grinned and looked at him.

“Sorry.” He said. “I’m meeting a friend. I told you remember.” He addressed Meggy.

She pouted and he bit back a laugh.

“Thanks for the coffee.” He said to El.

She looked at him for a brief moment and nodded.

“Your welcome. I’ll see you downstairs.” She said instead of asking who he was seeing feeling unwelcome jealousy.

He walked down the stairs and through the front door.

“We should probably talk about Christmas when I pick them up.” He murmured.

She nodded.

“I was thinking that it would be best if they stayed in the Bay.” She said quickly, the holiday only two weeks away.

He looked at her.

“Will you be coming back?” he asked. “Never mind.” He changed his mind. “I have to go or I’ll be late.”

“Ok.” she murmured.

He nodded and pressed a kiss to her cheek before turning and moving away. She watched him go and then shut the door leaning against it her fingers pressed on her lips.

The kids kept her distracted for the next few hours as they talked about what they had been doing and Christmas stuff.

“We want you home.” Sophie declared.

El grinned.

“It doesn’t work like that. Daddy and I are going to sit down and talk about it soon though.” El told her daughter stroking her hair.

She dug into her pocket and pulled out her phone as it rang.

“Yes?” she answered cautiously, not recognising the number.

“It’s Jacko.” He said, “You need to come and get him.”

“What? Why? What’s happened?” she asked quickly.

“Come get him. He’s drunker than a mouse that’s fallen into a whisky bottle. And I reckon it’s all your fault.” Jacko muttered.

She stood and moved away into her bedroom away from the children.

“Are you insane?” she said. “I’ve got the kids I can’t just up and get him.” she muttered.

“Ella. Either you get him or we will have to take him to hospital to get his stomach pumped. We are at Papa Joe’s.” He said and hung up on her.

She muttered something and pulled on her jeans and a different top before dialling for a taxi. She went through to the lounge and looked at the kids.

“Ok we need to get Daddy because he’s in trouble. How fast can you get dressed?” she said to them.

They vaulted off the sofa and into the bedroom coming out minutes later.

“Meggy you are wearing odd socks and Sammy your t shirt is inside out.” She said absentmindedly. Meggy ran and changed her socks awhile she adjusted Sammy’s T-shirt. She grabbed keys and money before herding them down the stairs and outside. They climbed into the back of the taxicab and she instructed the driver to take them to the address of the bar owned by her friend. They pulled up outside Papa Joe’s and she paid the taxi before going inside. The driver shook his head as he drove off.

“Ok.” she muttered going inside.

She saw Jacko immediately, he and Roman were sitting on barstools. Roman was leaning down on the bar counter looking very drunk.

“Hey Joe.” She called to the guy behind the bar.

He smiled as he saw her.

“Girlie.” He said.

He put four glasses on the top and made mocktails for the children taking them on a tray to a booth in the back where he sat down with them and distracted them.

El moved over to the barstool next to Roman and put her hand on his back stroking him.

He turned and looked at her.

“You stupid man.” She muttered.

“Is fault. I wanted to stop drinking.” Roman said. “Nice.” He added. “Miss you.”

She gave a small smile.

“Coffee?” Mike the other barman asked her.

She nodded and he placed a cup in front of her and filled it up.

She took a sip and looked at Jacko.

“How could you let him get like this?” she asked him.

“I ain’t his wife.” Jacko muttered.

She paled.

“Thanks.” She said. “That helps.”

He grinned and took a slow sip of his whisky.

“Mike can you book us a cab please.” She said after a moment.

She finished her coffee by the time it arrived and she had to get Jacko to help her with Roman into the cab before collecting all the children and putting them in.

“Lady if any of them puke in my cab you’re paying for it.” the driver muttered looking at the children.

“If any of them puke it’ll be down to your bad driving.” She replied, scowling at him ignoring the grins from Jacko and Roman.

El got out and opened up the studio doors before shepherding the children in. then she helped Roman up the stairs and straight into her bedroom. He collapsed on the bed and she left him there before going back down the stairs and sorting out the cab driver.

She pushed the door shut and took a deep breath before heading back up the stairs.

“Kids back into your night-clothes please.” She called and they rushed into the bedroom.

“Jacko you can stay on the sofa.” She ordered.

“Yes Ma’am.” He grinned and she glared at him.

She went into the children’s room and settled them in for the night. Before bringing out a sleeping bag and pillow for Jacko. He was already stretched out on the long sofa and she dropped them on his chest without comment before going into her room.

Roman had pulled off his clothes and climbed into bed. She sighed and picked up the discarded clothes and folded them up. She changed into a nightdress and lay on the bed next to him. She expected it to be ages before she fell asleep but after only moments she was fast asleep.

Sometime in the night she had rolled towards him. He put his arms around her and they spooned. Then the dream started and she moaned against his neck. He woke and felt her pressed against him With a sigh he closed his eyes again. She rubbed herself against him and he felt himself get very turned on. Her lips pressed against his neck as she moaned again before kissing him. He moved restlessly until his thigh was between hers and she began to rub herself against him.

His last vestiges of common sense were all that was stopping him from rolling them over and making love to her. He groaned, as the friction became almost unbearable. She gave a sigh and settled back into normal sleep, her arms still around him, his thigh pressed against her sex. She whispered against his neck and pressed her lips to him again.

He sighed and slipped back asleep a grin on his face.

Chapter 27

El woke up slowly and groaned in embarrassment. She was wrapped in Roman’s arms, his thigh pressed against her. She could feel languidness to her limbs and knew that her dream hadn’t been so much a dream. She eased away form him and raced into the shower.

Roman had been awake for a long time but he had known that she would be upset and he didn’t want another scene. Besides his head was throbbing, not to mention other parts of him, he grinned.

She came back into the bedroom and he hadn’t been quick enough to feign sleep. Her eyes flew to him and the grin he had on his face.

“It didn’t happen.” She muttered.

“Yes it did.” He pushed away the covers and stood up. Her gaze flew downwards and to his aroused flesh. She licked her lips, needing to wet her suddenly dry mouth.

“See something you like?” he asked after a moment.

Her eyes flew once more to his and she went to move past him. He caught hold of her arm and pulled her to him. They kissed passionately. She dropped the towel wrapped around her and pressed herself against him.

“This is ..” she said against his lips.

Whatever else she was going to say was lost as he kissed her. She ran her hands over his chest and arms and back and anywhere she could reach. Her hands were wild on his flesh and she laughed wickedly when he moaned.

He turned her and pressed her down to the bed parted her legs and easing between them. He took her from behind, driving deep into her, his hands stroking her back, snaking around her to caress her full breasts. She arched against him pushing back on his full length. He looked at the mirror seeing their lovemaking in front of him. He moved slightly and he could see him joined with her. He put his hand down there feeling his body in hers. He rubbed the sensitive nub at the top of her sex and heard her breath catch as her climax started. He felt her pulse around him and it was all he could do not to shout out his triumph. He guided her gaze to the mirror and she saw them interlocked her eyes wild, and her hair a mass of curls tumbling down on her shoulders falling onto her breasts, the nipples hard nubs. She flushed at the sight of them and then felt him move with in her.

He caught hold of her hand and placed it where his had been moments earlier. Her breath caught in her throat as she felt them joined so intimately. Their passion reflected in the glass in front of them.

He moved again and she moaned unable to stop the sound or the pleasure she felt. She pushed back on him and they made slow love, his arms strong wrapped around her. She gasped feeling her climax building until she couldn’t hold back. He came deep within her and they tumbled on to the bed.

He moved and pulled her into his arms stroking her hair away from her face and kissing her softly. He didn’t talk knowing she needed it quiet while she put this lovemaking in context. He also knew one wrong word and this fragile loving between would disintegrate into a thousand angry words. Finally he sighed and pulled her closer for second before he kissed her slowly.

“This is just sex.” She muttered.

He smiled slowly.

“If that is how you want to classify it.” he murmured and kissed her again.

He felt her hand moved between them and fondle him.

“Careful.” He said to her.

Her gaze flew to his.

“It’s been a long while since we were together and I may not need too much fondling.” He warned her.

She smiled and kissed him pulling him on top of her. His leg nudged hers apart and she put her arms around his neck as she kissed him. He felt her legs wrap around him and he bit the inside of his cheek to stop him smiling or telling her some foolish stuff like he loved her. He rubbed against her erotically and saw her eyes widen before she lifted her hips.

“Do you want me?” he asked.

She nodded.

“I need words.” He whispered kissing the side of her arched throat. He found the pulse that beat so frantically and he closed his mouth over that point and sucked before letting his tongue lose. He licked and kissed and whispered sensual little sayings against her hot skin.

“Please.” She moaned.

“Please what?” he asked.

“Please make love to me now.” She gasped.

His mouth found hers again before he eased into her and they joined once more. She moved against him climaxing immediately.

“More.” He whispered. “It feels so good.”

He kissed her taking her cries of passion into his mouth. She looked at him, moving again, against him, feeling the passion building in them once more. She moaned and gasped. Her hands stroking all over his body loving the feel of his strength.

He kissed her again and again. Mastering her lips. She moaned his name as they climaxed together.

He only just managed to stop himself from saying he loved her.

He moved them so they lay their heads on the pillows and he pulled a cover over them. She lay unresisting in his arms.

“You tried to make love to me.” She said finally.

He kissed her.

“Yes.” He said simply. “Not because I needed sexual release but because I needed to be with you.”

“It hurt.” She added in that voice he dreaded.

“I can see that now.” He murmured. “I wasn’t trying to do anything but connect with you. I wasn’t implying that it was time you moved on El. I just wanted to be with you.” He took a breath. “You owed me the truth. Instead of freezing on me you should have said ‘I’m not ready for that’.” He added.

She nodded.

“Wasn’t just you. It was like everyone expected me to be able to move on.” She said softly.

He kissed her again.

“I didn’t El. I was there, remember. I knew what we went through. I knew how much it hurt and maybe I’m just a stupid man but I was grieving too yet I was expected to be strong and make arrangements when all I wanted to do was just hold you.”

She looked at him them.

“I wanted to take your pain away and protect you and I couldn’t because we lost our baby and you had a right to that pain but hell, it hurt seeing you so lost. We clung to each other do you remember that? We couldn’t bear to leave each other’s side for days and I felt so close to you and so horribly guilty because our baby had to die for us to be like that.” He said finally, his voice breaking.

She kissed him and wound her arms around him holding him against her.

Chapter 28

Roman came out of the bedroom and saw his kids sat around the table eating pancakes and Jacko sitting at the breakfast bar tucking into a full breakfast he went and sat next to him and El put a cup a cup of coffee in front of him. He smiled at her and she looked away hurriedly. After a minute she placed a plate of food in front of him. He went a shade of green before picking up a slice of toast and nibbling it.

“Daddy was so drunk last night he was singing.”

“Daddy” turned and looked at Sophie.

“He so wasn’t.” he said to her.

El giggled.

“No hun, you don’t want to hear Daddy sing.” She said.

Roman glared at her.

“Maybe I should remind you of some of the embarrassing things you’ve done.” He said softly.

“Ut oh!” Meggy grinned. “Now Mummy is in trouble!”

“I’m not embarrassed by anything I’ve done.” She said to him putting her hands on her hips.

“Not even dancing on a bar?” Roman asked.

She looked at him.

“Dancing on a bar?” Sophie picked up on.

“Roman Harris.” She warned him.

“And I’m sure that isn’t a hickey on your neck either.” Jacko said quietly.

El blushed.

“Ok, that’s it you both need to leave.” She muttered, waving a spatula at them.

Roman laughed.

“El.” He said.

She looked at him.

“I’m trained remember.” He said.

El shook her head, looking over at the children.

“I’m a chef and if you are planning to use that spatula you better know how.” He said moving swiftly around the counter and catching hold of her. He lifted her off her feet and disarmed her. She giggled some more and the kids laughed.

He kissed her and put her to one side while he moved the cooking pancake in the pan before picking it up and with a deft flick of his wrist he tossed the pan and the pancake flew in the air and turned before landing back in the pan.

“Wow.” Sammy said. “Again daddy.”

He grinned and tossed the pancake again. He picked up a plate and tossed it one more time before catching it on the plate.

“Who wants it?” he asked.

Sammy rushed over to him and he handed the plate to him.

“Careful it’s hot.” He warned.

Sammy nodded and walked carefully back to the table.

“Mummy doesn’t have any.” Sophie pointed out.

“Mummy doesn’t eat breakfast remember.” She said to them.

Roman looked at her and grinned.

“I though you might be a little hungry this morning.” He said softly and watched as she blushed.

“No my appetite has been filled.” She said and watched, as it was his turn to blush.

“Daddy we are going shopping this morning are you coming with us?” Georgie asked.

“Sorry mate. Daddy needs to go do Daddy stuff. But if you are lucky I might be around later.” He said and looked at El.

She glared at him and then gave a small nod.

He smiled and placed a plate in front of her with a pancake on. She looked down at it and then glared at him. It was heart shaped.

Jacko looked at them and chuckled.

“Be quiet old man.” She muttered to him.

She moved round the counter and sat down pouring out a cup of coffee for herself. Roman sat next to her and started eating his breakfast. She turned to the kids.

“When you have finished can you go wash faces and hands and get dressed please? Not to mention brush those teeth of yours.”

They sighed before moving off. She waited until all of them had moved away before turning to Jacko.

“You too.” She said to him.

He looked at his plate and wisely moved into the other bathroom.

Roman sat waiting. He picked his cup and took a drink.

“It doesn’t mean I’m coming back.” She said.

He nodded and waited.

“I’ll make arrangements to be there for Christmas. Are we doing joint presents this year?”

He nodded and took another drink.

“I haven’t done any shopping.” He said.

She gave him a look.

“You never do.” She muttered.

He grinned.

“I do. Sometimes.” He smiled at her. “Anyway it’s genetic. Men don’t shop.”

She smiled but it was strained.

“El don’t stress ok.” he said softly and stroked her hair away from her face. “You have the kids this week and draw up a list of what to get everyone and we’ll go shopping next week and get it.”

“Do you know how busy the shops will be?” she grouched.

He nodded.

“I could come with you today but I don’t think that would be such a good idea.”

Her eyes flew to his.

“Why?”

“Because we’re putting up barriers again and I don’t think it will take to much to have some kind of argument in front of the kids.” He pointed out and heard her sigh. “I can be around later if you want to talk after they have gone to bed.”

She shook her head.

“No you are right we need a bit of distance.” She murmured. “But I did enjoy being with you this morning and not just the making…...” she stopped talking as Meggy came out.

He grinned.

“I know.” He said as she blushed again.

Jacko opened the bathroom door.

“Can I come out yet?” he called out.

“It’s safe.” Roman said with a grin.

He leant forward and kissed her before he could change his mind and she moved off the stool and into the bedroom. She came out after a minute dressed in jeans and a white vest top. She grabbed keys, money and phone before picked up the spare set and handing them to Roman.

“Meggy’s birthday.” She said to him,

He nodded.

She looked at Jacko.

“I want my kitchen spotless.” She told him.

He looked at Roman.

“What about him?” he asked quickly.

“I’m telling you.” She ordered and collected all the children before leaving and heading for the shopping centre.

“So you and her talked?” Jacko asked.

Roman grinned.

“A Little.” He said.

“And?” he asked.

“And I don’t know.”

“She gave you keys.”

“And the code for the alarm.” Roman chuckled.

“Good of her.” Jacko grinned clearing his plate. “Now perhaps you’d like to explain how you managed to get so drunk on just three glasses of whisky because that has been bugging me all night.”

Roman looked at his friend.

“Who said I was drunk?” he smiled slowly.

“That’s about what I thought.” He chuckled. “I’m curious as to why she hasn’t actually killed you yet.”

“I have my uses.” Roman said and moved around the bar to start tidying up the kitchen. He walked over to the table and cleared it of plates and food.

Chapter 29

She pulled up outside the house with the car loaded with luggage and wrapped presents. She climbed out and moved into the house.

“Hey.” Roman called out from the kitchen.

She smiled at him and moved into the kitchen.

“Hey.” She said softly.

He looked at her.

“That sounds like a could.” He grinned.

She nodded.

“I’ve had it for four days and at least my voice is back.”

He chuckled.

“Would that be why you didn’t answer my call yesterday.”

She nodded again and reached into her pocket for a tissue.

“Sorry.” She said and turned away to blow her nose.

He came over to her and kissed her.

“I was worried.” He admitted.

“I did text.” She shrugged and sank on to a chair.

He pulled out his phone and clicked it open.

“C u…. can’t talk…..Head…” he read out.

She grinned.

“Ok I tried to text. I have a load of stuff in the car can you bring it in for me please? I need the suitcase and the box with the stockings in upstairs”

He grinned.

“Stockings?” he asked.

She looked at him sternly but spoiled it by sneezing.

“Not fishnets.” She said and saw a disappointed look on his face.

“The kids are with Nic and won’t be back until later. Why don’t you go to bed?” he suggested.

She chuckled, then coughed, then chuckled some more.

“I’ve been here two minutes and you try to get me into bed.”

“Yes, well I went for the restrained approach.”

She looked up at him.

“Restrained?” she asked.

“I was planning to do this.” He said and demonstrated by picking her up and carrying her up the stairs into their room.

She smiled at him.

“You’ve been working out.” She commented.

He nodded.

“What do you expect? I had to get rid of my frustration somehow.”

She looked at him.

“Uh huh.” She muttered.

He grinned at her.

El gave him a quick kiss before pulling out her keys and phone and putting them on her bedside cabinet before kicking off her shoes. She climbed under the covers and adjusted the pillows before settling down with a sigh.

“Have you eaten?” he asked.

She shook her head.

“I know I should have done but I just wanted to get here and get in bed.”

He grinned at the statement.

“To sleep.” She added.

“I’ll leave you alone.” He said softly.

She smiled.

She dozed off not noticing when he brought up her suitcase and the box containing the stockings she had prepared for everyone. He came back up a half-hour later with a tray.

“Hey.” He called.

She woke slowly easing up and adjusting the pillows behind her.

“Hey.” She smiled at him.

“I have soup and toast and a glass of orange juice.”

She grinned at him.

“Thank you.” She said softly.

He handed the tray over and sat next to her putting his strong arm around her.

“That was a very heavy suitcase.” He commented. “Considering that you still have clothes here.”

She smiled at him.

“Really?” he asked.

El looked over and him and nodded.

“I’m your Christmas present.” She told him. “You’ll have to unwrap me later.”

“Promises promises.” He grinned. “Are you really back?” he asked.

She nodded.

“I’ve come home. If that is ok?”

“I’ll have to think about it!“ he said softly.

She chuckled.

“I can always go back.”

Don’t you dare.” He warned.

She leaned over and kissed him.

“Only thing is.” She began blushing. “I’m on antibiotics so you’ll have to take care of us.”

He nodded his understanding.

“Not just a cold then?”

She grinned.

“A little bit of a chest infection.”

“And you drove?”

El leaned over and kissed him again.

“I was impatient to be home.” She murmured softly, her eyes met his and she saw his smile.

“Uh huh. I could have come and got you.” He pointed out.

She nodded.

“I know. I did think about it.” she said and coughed again.

She handed over the tray and he took it and placed it next to him on the bedside table.

He took her in his arms and held her.

“Crazy foolish woman.” He muttered.

She giggled.

After a time she drifted back asleep and he lowered her to the bed and adjusted the pillows under her head. She snuggled towards him and he smiled before pressing his lips to her forehead. She felt hot to him and he made a note to make sure she took her tablets. He eased away, swinging his long legs to the floor and collecting the tray moving silently out of the bedroom.

His steps took him downstairs and he was soon back in the kitchen preparing the buffet meal they were to have that evening. He couldn’t stop grinning.

Nic shepherded all the children inside and followed behind. Geoff came in after with another box of presents to be placed under the tree. He made a second, and then a third trip carrying more presents and their luggage.

“Hello.” He called out to them from the kitchen.

“Daddy.” Sophie came rusting in.

“Hey Princess.” He said and kissed her.

Nic glared at him.

“You’re my Princess too.” He told her.

“Uh huh.” Nic said.

He grinned at his elder daughter and handed her a glass of wine.

“Geoff?” he asked.

“Beer.” The other man said with a grin.

Roman handed his son in law the bottle and then poured out juice for all the children Taking them though into the lounge.

“Hello my children.” He called out to them.

Roman put the drinks into the middle of the table and gave his children a hug and kisses and then did likewise with Angel and Robbie.

“I take it you are all very excited?” he asked them and heard Geoff chuckle behind him and then Nic saying “Oi.”

“When does Mummy get here?” Meggy asked worriedly.

“Well I don’t know.” Roman said grinning.

He placed a plate of cookies on the table for them and put on a film for them to watch.

“You could call her.” Sophie suggested.

He pulled out his phone and dialled her number.

“Hello.” He said softly.

“Why are calling me you are only downstairs,” she said sleepily.

“The children want to know when you are getting here.” He said.

She muttered something.

“Sorry I didn’t quite catch that,”

“Tell them Santa Claus has kidnapped me and won’t give me back because they have been naughty this year.” She said.

“Ok.” he said and hung up. “Mummy has been kidnapped by Santa Claus and he won’t give her back because you haven’t been good enough.” He told them.

Sammy looked at him and his bottom lip trembled.

“I’m very good.” He said.

Roman grinned.

“See.” Sophie muttered to Meggy. “I said that you not doing your homework would get you into trouble.”

Meggy walked over to her Dad.

“Tell Santa to bring her back.” She said to him.

He laughed and looked over in the doorway where El was standing.

“I was joking.” She said to him.

“Sh… another five minutes and Meggy will promise to do her homework.” He said.

“Mummy.” Sammy said and ran over to her.

“Hello My lovelies.” She said, walking over to them and gave them all kisses.

“El.” Angel said and came over to her.

She hugged Nic’s daughter and then Robbie.

“What are we watching?” she asked them.

“Finding Nemo.” Georgie told her.

“My favourite film.” She grinned.

She sat on the sofa and the kids sat with her. She pulled Sammy on to her lap.

“Have you decided which is going to be your Christmas Eve present?” she asked them, highlight the tradition of letting them open one present the night before Christmas.

“I have.” Nic said and blushed.

El grinned at her and patted the sofa.

Nic walked over and sat down next to her.

“You don’t sound too good.” She said to her.

El nodded.

“I sound better than I did yesterday.” She croaked.

“uh huh.” Roman grinned. “Drink?” he asked.

She nodded.

“Juice please.”

He came back in and handed her a glass of orange juice just as the door opened and Aden and Belle came in with Brett, Amy-Belle and Tyler.

“Hello.” Aden called.

“Come on in.” Roman said.

The kids rushed through.

“Hello.” El said to them.

“Why don’t you look under the tree?” she suggested to her kids.

Georgie stood up and went over to the tree followed by all the others. They were soon sorting out the presents into piles.

Aden grinned and moved to put even more presents under the tree.

Roman went into the kitchen and got a glass of wine and a beer for them and more drinks for the kids. He seized his chance to sit next to El.

“There is food in the kitchen if anyone is hungry.” He said to them.

Aden chuckled.

“My husband was hoping you were going to say that. He’s been saving himself.” Belle told them sitting the other side of Nic.

Roman put his arm around El and reached for the throw. He put it over her and smiled when she grinned at him.

“So Daddy anything you want to tell us?” Nic asked watching them.

“Nothing you need to know.” Roman grinned taking a sip of his own beer.

Belle and Nic exchanged a look.

“She’s back.” Belle said.

Nic nodded.

“Maybe he’ll stop being so grumpy now.” Nic murmured.

“Er Christmas presents.” Roman pointed out.

Nic grinned.

“I’ll be good.” She said meekly.

Aden looked over at Geoff.

“Yeah, she says that to me all the time.” Geoff grinned.

Nic blushed and glared at her husband.

Chapter 30

El sneaked into each of the bedrooms and put the stockings at the end of the beds. There were ones for the adults too. She eased back into their bedroom and put one at the end of the bed for Roman with a grin on her face.

He turned in the bed and put his arms round her.

“Can I look in it now?” he asked not opening his eyes.

“Depends.” she said softly. “Have you been a good boy this year.”

He rolled her on to her back and leaned down to kiss her.

“I’m very good.” He told her that wicked glint back in his eye.

She lifted her hand and stroked his face.

“I wish I could ask for a demonstration but I’m exhausted.” She mumbled.

He grinned before he lowered his lips to hers and kissed her.

“You know you’ll get my cold don’t you?” she asked him.

He smiled.

“I don’t care because I get you.” He looked into her eyes. “I’ve missed you.”

She smiled.

“Uh huh.” She snuggled into his body and felt his arms tighten around her.

“This is so good.” She said against his neck.

He grinned.

“Missed me?” he asked.

“I have now I’ve defrosted.” She murmured.

“So what did it?” he asked smiling at her.

“I think it was Meggy telling me you couldn’t use the bedroom because it smelled of my perfume.” She whispered. “Or Sophie telling me about you getting kicked out of the supermarket for opening all the detergent bottles and sniffing them to find the one I used. “

“Well I wanted some continuity for the children.” He defended.

“Yes and how much have you complained about your clothes smelling like flowers?” she asked him.

He kissed her.

“I love our kids.” He said with a grin.

She smiled at him.

“That’s good because Sophie set her alarm for 5am so I think you’ll be getting up early.”

He chuckled and moved to his bedside cabinet and opening the drawer he picked out the alarm clock.

“This one?” he asked.

She laughed.

“Yeah, that would be the one.”

He put it back and turned back to her.

“Speaking of children.” He began and saw her eyes get that haunted look again.

“El.” He whispered against her neck, pressing a kiss to her.

She looked over at him.

“Do you want…” he began.

Her eyes flew to his in panic.

“No.” she said quickly.

“I’m not suggesting a replacement.” He murmured. “Just that if you wanted to try again, you know, and I am as scared as you but well.”

She smiled sadly.

“Sorry.” She apologised for her panic. “But no.”

He nodded.

“Ok.” he said gently.

She put her arms around him and clung to him for a time.

He moved then and picked up his stocking emptying the contents on the bed and laughed.

“Furry handcuffs?” he asked.

He grinned as he looked at the massage oils and the assorted items.

He picked up one item and looked at her.

“Do I not please you?” he asked puzzled.

She grinned.

“It’s for both of us.” She murmured a hint of blush on her face.

“So what exactly do I do with it?” he asked.

She leaned over to him.

“You switch it on to vibrate and slide it on your ..” she stopped.

“Oh.” He said. “Ok.” he added.

“And it well vibrates on you and er me.” She said her face now extremely red.

He grinned.

“You liked what we did at the studio didn’t you.” He said.

She nodded and let her hair fall to cover her face.

“It was quite hot.” She confessed.

“I can’t believe that I had to lay there when you …” he began.

She moved quickly and put her hand over his mouth.

“I tell you that you were dreaming and it didn’t happen.” She muttered.

“Uh huh.” He mumbled through her fingers.

He stood and went over to the door and locked it.

She grinned and pulled her nightdress over her head.

He moved back to the bed quickly and pulled her into his arms.

“How long do you think putting those stockings out will buy us?” he asked kissing her before she could answer.

She wound her arms around his neck and kissed him back.

“Coming.” Roman said and heard El giggling. “That isn’t helping the situation.” He grumbled trying to drag on his jeans.

She was sitting on the bed the sheet covering her naked body. Her hair was a mess of tangles from his hands and her lips were swollen from his kisses.

“Well you had to use that word.” She pointed out. “After well, you know.”

He sat on the bed and pulled his shoes on and leaned over and kissed her. Finally he was dressed enough to open the door. He suddenly bent down and picked up the handcuffs and hid them in a dresser drawer pulling out a new nightdress for her at the same time. He threw it at her and she dropped the sheet when she caught it. His gaze went to her breasts.

“Cover yourself woman.” He growled.

She grinned and tugged the nightdress over her head and smoothed down the covers. Picking up her discarded nightdress from earlier and putting it under her pillow.

He unlocked the door and the kids ran in and straight over to the bed.

“Santa Claus gave me a watch.” Sammy said proudly holding out his arm.

“Wow.” El said to her son, she lifted him on the bed and kissed him.

“And I got perfume.” Sophie said. “Proper.” She murmured.

Georgie sat at the end of the bed.

“He.” He began and looked at El, “gave me that game I pointed out to you in the shopping centre the other week.”

“Wow. I wonder how he knew you wanted it?” El said innocently.

Meggy rushed in.

“I got necklace and earrings.” She said glaring at Sophie. “Big girl earrings.”

“You’ll have to get your ears pierced and that hurts.” Sophie muttered.

“It does but only for a little bit and if you decide you don’t want them done you can give the earrings to your sister to wear can’t you.” El pointed out.

Meggy grinned.

“She can borrow them too.” She said.

El looked down and took off Sammy’s watch and set it to the correct time before putting it back on his wrist.

“There you go my babe.” She said and kissed him.

“Well do you want breakfast?” Roman asked them.

They looked at him.

“I do.” El said.

“I am not asking again.” He grouched. “Let your mummy get up and get dressed. Come on.”

The followed him downstairs and saw Robbie sitting by the tree.

“He’s been there for nearly an hour waiting for you guys to get up.” Geoff said. He poured out a cup of coffee and handed that to Roman.

“What did you get in your stocking Geoff?” Georgie asked him.

“Socks, after shave and some smellies.” He said. “But your sister seemed to get a diamond bracelet and she is still crying.”

“A what?” Roman said.

“She called it a Tennis Bracelet. But I can’t see what it has to do with tennis.” Geoff shrugged.

“Santa Claus has been very generous this year. I should have a word with my bank manager.” Roman muttered.

“Maybe Santa was high on her cough medicine.” Aden suggested to them walking into the kitchen. “My wife just got a diamond bracelet.” He murmured.

Roman grinned and poured out coffee for Aden.

“Do my kids want to pick out a present to open?” he asked them and they ran to the tree.

Aden took the cup and moved to the tree.

“Aden?” Roman asked.

“What don’t foster children get an equal vote?” Aden asked picking up a box with his name on it.

Roman chuckled.

El walked slowly down the stairs and into the kitchen. She was pale and breathy.

“Aden.” Roman called and moved over to his wife.

“El.” Aden murmured abandoning his present and his coffee.

“I’m fine. Don’t fuss. “ El grinned.

She held out her tablets.

“See I’m taking them.”

Aden took the box and looked at it.

“Ok I’m going to go get my bag from the car.” He said and disappeared.

Geoff came out of the kitchen with a glass of water and she took a grateful sip before sinking onto the sofa and taking two of the capsules.

Aden came back and took out his stethoscope. He pressed it to her back.

“Breath in please and exhale.”

She breathed in slowly and breathed out.

“Again.” he instructed.

She did it again.

“Why aren’t you in hospital?” he asked her.

She grinned and looked at Roman.

“I wanted to be home for Christmas.” She said.

“Your wife has a chest infection.” Aden muttered. “Well pneumonia.” He amended.

“And I thought you were extra passionate this morning.” Roman said and watched her blush.

“Stop fussing I had a hot shower and the steam triggered some coughing so I was a bit breathless.” She exclaimed.

Aden looked at her.

“Is Mummy alright?” Sammy asked.

“Yes I’m fine.” She said and held out her arms to him.

He ran over to her and clung to her.

“Have you opened a present?” she asked him pressing a kiss to his head.

Her questioning gaze went to Roman and he nodded slowly.

She smiled and moved down to the tree with them.

The three men went back into the kitchen.

“She needs to finish those meds and come in to see me.” Aden grumbled.

Roman grinned.

“You are telling the wrong person. Since when does she actually listen to me?”

Geoff chuckled.

Aden shook his head and went to retrieve his coffee and the present.

He drank it and unwrapped the box to reveal a singing fish.

“Ha ha.” He grumbled.

“To commemorate your stint on the fishing trawler.” Geoff grinned.

“Bible boy.” Aden muttered.

“Nic thought it was funny.”

Roman laughed.

“If she has got me anything to do with prisons I’ll confiscate the bracelet.” Roman warned Geoff.

“You may be ex-sas but separating her from that bracelet will take more than a team of Ninja assassins.” Geoff asserted.

“Too right.” Nic said walking into the kitchen. She held out her wrist and displayed the bracelet.

“Elizabeth.” Roman shouted out.

El grinned and stood up walking into the kitchen.

“But look how happy she is.” El pointed out. “And it was within budget.”

“Whose budget?” Roman muttered.

“Er…” she said and grinned. “Well the entire budget actually. I was stuck and it seemed so nice.”

She walked over to him and whispered in his ear and he blushed.

“Fine.” He agreed.

She chuckled.

He turned and saw to making a plate of toast and putting it on the table when Belle and the other children came down. Belle went up to Nic and they compared bracelets.

“Ok you can open presents now.” Roman told them and watched as they demolished the presents in a record time.

He moved to the pantry and picked up the box for El and took it through to the lounge where she was sitting on the sofa. She looked at him.

“I thought we agreed no presents Mister.” She grinned.

He sat next to her and kissed her.

“About the same time we agreed the budget.” He nodded.

She opened the box and saw cat food, a litter tray and cat toys and looked at him.

Nic grinned and fetched the cat carrier and brought it to her. El gasped when she saw the two kittens inside.

“They don’t have names yet.” Roman grinned at her. “If you were going to stay at the studio then you needed your own kittens and well if you came home then we have enough space for some more to run around.”

She put her fingers in the front and heard them start mewing.

“I love you.” She said to him.

He grinned and kissed her.

“I love you too.” He murmured.

Sophie laughed.

“Mummy is home.” She told the others.

“It worked.” Meggy said.

“What worked Megan Hope Harris?” El asked her daughter.

“Ops.” She said and looked down.

“I think that might have something to do with all those sad stories they kept telling you.” Roman grinned.

“Uh huh.” El said.

“They weren’t true?” she asked him.

He nodded.

“They were.” He grinned. “But I suspect exaggerated a little.”

She looked at Meggy and stood up and moved out of the lounge.

Roman looked at them before he followed her.

“El.” He said gently.

She shook her head.

“I can’t. It’s all a lie.” She moved up the stairs.

He ran after her and cornered her in their bedroom.

“I haven’t slept in this room since you left because all I can think about is you telling me you didn’t love me. I wanted to do some big angry gesture and throw my ring at you that morning and the amount of times I’ve tried to take it off since and I can’t El because that meant that I would have to admit we were over.” He paused. “And Charlie was called to the supermarket to come and get me because I punched the manager. I went nuts because I couldn’t figure out what detergent it was and I created a scene. I tried to explain and he just laughed. He laughed when I told him our baby died and I lost it and I punched him.” Roman shook his head. “I had to have our clothes smell the same as when you washed them.”

She put her arms around his neck and kissed him.

“I stopped my car on the way here and threw up.” El confessed. “Because of seeing everyone. They all know. In the city it’s different because they don’t know about Francesca and I can pretend it doesn’t hurt so much”

He nodded.

“I want another baby El.” He said. “I want to give you another baby.”

She shook her head.

“I know. That’s why I got the kittens.” He looked into her eyes. “So Geoff told me, a classic case of transference.”

She smiled.

“We should go back down.”

“Are you ok?” he asked.

She gave him that smile. His smile.

“Yes I just needed to hear it from you.” She kissed him.

“I love you El.” He said to her his eyes meeting with hers.

She threw her arms around him and pressed herself close to him as possible.

“I love you.” She said. “Even when I try not to.”

He led them back down and sat on the vacant spot of the sofa and she sat on his lap his arms going round her.

Meggy walked up to them.

“I’m sorry Mummy.” She said. “We were all sad when you went away and that isn’t a fib.”

“We will talk tomorrow Megan Hope Harris.” She said to her.

Megan looked down for a minute.

“If you want me to give my presents back.” She suggested.

El laughed.

“And why would I want that? I think you’ve been talking to your sister Nicole.”

“I’m not giving the bracelet back.” Nic said quickly.

Geoff chuckled.

“Way to admit guilt Princess.” Aden said to her.

She blushed.

“Ok I suggested they exaggerate but Dad was a mess without you.” She confessed.

“Well anyway I’m home now.” She said “and things will be getting back to normal.”

She picked up Meggy and kissed her.

“Ho ho ho.” George called coming in through the front door.

“Granddad.” Sammy said and ran over to him.

Irene caught him and guided him back to the lounge.

“Hello Darls.” She said to everyone.

“Hello Stepmum.” El said cheekily.

“Quit it.” Irene muttered.

They walked in with bags of presents and handed them out.

“Oh yours is outside El.” Her dad said.

She looked at him and stood up looking to the door when Mike walked in.

“Oh my god.” She cried out bursting into tears. She ran over to him and he caught her picking her up and swinging her round.

“Hey Mum.” He grinned at her.

“Aren’t you supposed to be somewhere.” She stuttered.

He nodded.

“But I got leave at the last minute.” He smiled.

She framed his face in her hands and looked into his eyes.

“I’m sorry I didn’t get home for the service.” He said.

She smiled.

“I got your card.”

“Still.” He said guiltily.

“It doesn’t matter. You being here now is just as important.” She told him. “I’ve missed you so much.” She said hugging him again.

He turned and stood looking in the doorway behind him.

“And this is why you should never surprise your Mum.” He said.

El pulled back and looked behind Mike.

“Hello.” She said shyly.

“Hey.” The girl said.

“Mum this is my friend Danni.” He introduced her.

“Hey.” El said softly. “Come on in.” she welcomed her.

She moved through to the lounge and the chatter began again.

Archived