Returning Emotions

Guest Nicom

Uh-oh, Annie's back!

Okay, sorry, no Martha in this chapter.

Chapter 11

The Holden’s were reunited, sat around the table as they fired questions at each other.

“How’d you get here?” Lucas asked.

“You wouldn’t believe me if I told you.” Jack sighed, leaning back on his chair.

“Try us.” Tony challenged with a grin. Jack shrugged, moving forwards.

“Okay..” He said, taking a deep breath. “About a year a go, my mate James ran in to the shed in which they were holding me. Using a few karate moves and bullets, he got me free. Since then we’ve been travelling the world, kicking evil ass.” Jack smirked.

“Would this be James Bond?” Tony sighed. Jack smiled, smacking the table with his palm.

“Yes! A rather nice chap too. Just dropped me off in his chopper.” Jack grinned. Tony and Lucas looked at one another, shaking their heads.

“You’re so funny.” Lucas grunted sarcastically. Jack smiled.

“I know…” He sighed, resting back on his chair. “I know.” Tony laughed.

“So… how’d you really get back home?” Tony asked curiously.

“I just told you.” Jack insisted with a smile. “Listen, can I borrow some clothes?” He asked, changing the subject. Tony nodded. “I think I need a wash too, and a shave.” He said, stroking the short beard that had formed. Lucas laughed.

“Jack, you’ve been gone a year and a half and that’s all you managed to grow? The plant in the back garden has achieved more!” He chuckled. Jack sighed, placing his hands on the table as he pushed himself up.

“Henry gave me a shave every so often.” Jack told them, suddenly and quietly, implying the end of the subject. He leant over the table and stroked Lucas’ face, much to Lucas’ bemusement. “Still as smooth as a baby.” He teased, leaning back and making his way to the bathroom. Lucas looked up at Tony, his face fuming.

“Can’t we send him back?” He asked. Tony laughed.

“Surprise surprise, Luc’s shaver is covered in dust!” Jack shouted through. Lucas dropped his head onto the table.

“And so it starts…” He grumbled.

“Call me a loon-” Jack began, walking through to the lounge.

“You’re a loon.” Lucas interrupted. Jack stopped, giving him a loud fake laugh, and then continuing with his conversation.

“Call me a loon,” he repeated “but isn’t this my top?” Jack asked Tony, gesturing to the top he’d been given. Tony nodded.

“Yea… I kept some of your clothes.” He told him. Jack tilted his head, a small smile creeping on his face.

“Really?” He asked, flattered. Tony nodded.

“Yea… there are some of your other things in the loft too.” Tony told him. Jack smiled, walking towards him.

“You missed me, didn’t you?” He asked. Tony nodded, laughing slightly.

“A bit…” He smiled. “Don’t do it again!” He told him jokingly, resting his hand on Jack’s shoulder. Jack nodded.

“I’m not planning on taking anymore holidays anytime soon.” Jack told him. Tony smiled, letting go of his son. He’d begun to turn around to Lucas, when a thought popped into his head.

“Oh! Have you got in touch with the station yet?” Tony asked.

“Nope.” Jack answered, walking over in the kitchen. “Where are the packets of chips?” He called through.

“The cupboard nearest the fridge.” Lucas informed him. Jack moved to the location and ducked down, opening the cupboard door. His face lit up.

“Chips!!!” He exclaimed, a little too much excitement showed in his voice. Lucas laughed.

“Don’t you think you should ring them or something? Get these clothes down to the station?” Tony asked, pointing to the dirty, ripped and blood stained uniform on the floor. Jack shook his head, sticking his head in the fridge.

“Nah…” He answered. “The clothes are useless now, it’s my blood on it and I’ve been hugging you guys. They’ll mean nothing.” Jack told them. “And the station will only want to take report from me. It’ll take ages.” He groaned, shutting the fridge door with a bottle of coke in hand.

“But still, you need to tell them you’re back. They’re going to want details about what went off.” Tony said. Jack sighed, opening the bottle of coke with a fizz.

“I suppose.” He mumbled. “I’ll go later.” He said, taking a long drink. Lucas stood up, walking over to where Jack was.

“What did happen then? Did you shoot someone? Did they torture you?” Lucas asked excitedly. Jack froze, his coke diagonally touching his lips. He lowered it slowly, staring blankly at the floor.

“Yea, yea, blood and guts. Listen, I’m going to go out and find Martha.” Jack said quickly. Lucas and Tony looked to each other, then back at Jack.

“Are you okay?” Tony asked. Jack nodded, forcing a smile.

“Yea, why wouldn’t I be? I have chips, coke, that’s all a man needs!” He laughed. “So, does Martha still live with Sally?” He asked, changing the subject yet again. Lucas and Tony looked at each other, pausing as they thought of an answer. Jack flicked between their faces, reading their suspicious reaction. “Is it a secret?” He whispered with a laugh. The pair faced Jack, giving him sympathetic looks. Jack’s laugh faded, settling in with the silent surroundings. “Oh god.” He gasped. “She did make it, did she?! I know she was bleeding heavily, I just assumed she’d be alright..” Jack said, his hand clasping his forehead.

“No, no! She’s fine! She made it.” Tony assured him. Jack let out a relieved sigh.

“Then what’s with the dodgy looks?” He asked with a laugh, taking another drink. Lucas paused, forcing a smile.

“No reason.” He lied. “Here, she’s just moved, Dad and I are supposed to be there now helping out actually.” Lucas said as he handed Jack a slip of paper from his back pocket. Jack took it carefully, staring at the black scribble. Martha’s handwriting.

“You don’t mind if I go on my own, do you? I just… haven’t seen her in ages. I really just want to spend some time with her. I’ve missed her.” Jack said, still smiling towards the address in his hand. Tony tore his eyes away from Lucas’.

“Yea… go ahead.” Tony said slowly, trying to understand Lucas’ latest action.

“Thanks.” Jack beamed, stepping back and ducking down into the far cupboard. He jolted back up, with two packets of chips in his hands. He walked past a disgusted Lucas.

“How many!?” He exclaimed.

“One and a half years without salt and vinegar, Luc. One and a half years!!” He shouted as he rushed through the door. Lucas laughed, slowly turning his gaze from the door to Tony.

“Why didn’t you tell him?” Tony asked, stunned.

“I’ve just got my brother back, I don’t want to be the one upsetting him.” Lucas explained, walking over to the sofa. Tony shrugged.

“I see your point. I just think maybe we should have warned him… It’s going to be one heck of a shock.” Tony said. Lucas nodded.

“I know. But it’s going to be a shock whoever tells him.” Lucas said as he sat down on the sofa. “Did you think Jack was acting weird?” Lucas asked suddenly.

“So it wasn’t only me who noticed!” Tony exclaimed. “He kept changing the subject, didn’t he?”

“Yup.” Lucas nodded. “But then again, he has just come back from a year and a half of hell.” Lucas observed.

“I just hope he can handle it. He’s not as strong as he makes out. He can’t avoid the subject forever.” Tony sighed.

Next Chapter - How does Martha react?

Future Chapters - Jack finds out about Martha...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For you guys that moaned... A JM only chapter

Chapter 12

Martha sighed loudly, collapsing on the sofa. She looked around the room, her heart sinking with the vision of the masses of boxes.

“I guess I could always leave them there, what’s so wrong with living out of boxes anyway?” She asked herself, closing her eyes. She was tired and bored of shifting the items all day. She’d been doing it since 8 o’clock this morning, which was now 6 hours ago. With every hour that went by she grew more fed up. She just wanted to get out of the apartment. She felt claustrophobic and controlled, gripped in a jail that she’d willingly stepped into. She lifted her hands to her face, rubbing her eyes as she tried to erase the thoughts. “I just need to get out of here for an hour or so.” She told herself.

That was when two knocks commenced on the apartment door.

With a sigh, Martha forced herself up, looking at her watch as she made her way to the door. “I need to get you guys a watch for Christmas.” She laughed as she approached. “By the way I’m on a break, and before you start I’ve been at it for 6 hours; it’s your turn.” She smiled, putting her hand on the handle. “Actually, prepare yourself for the horrific mass of cardboard. It’s quite frightening.” She gave out a small laugh before swinging the door open.

Her laugh stopped. Her breathing faded. Her body froze.

“Oh my-” She began, but firmly shut her mouth. She raised her fingers to her lips, pressing hard. Thousands of thoughts ran through her mind, each one questioning her sanity. “You can’t… it can’t…” She began to tremble; her glazed eyes scanned his body. The curves and features of his face were the same as in her dreams, and his deep, dark brown eyes were still the gorgeous shade of chocolate. This man at the door still made her heart beat fast, and her body soak warmth. The man she’d failed to forget was standing on her doorstep, bringing an overwhelming rack of emotions to her broken heart. “Jack?” She asked in a whimper. Jack smiled, taking in her brilliant beauty.

“God, I’ve missed you.” He laughed. It was all he could say. He’d dreamt of this moment for so long, of how he’d whisk her off her feet, of how he’d make up for the lost time – but he could put none into action. He was rooted on the spot, centimetres away from her, and not once did he threaten to decrease the gap. All he did was look at her, gazed with her and travelled to a different world, one that only their love had the key.

Five minutes later, the pair were still stood at the door. Jack took it upon himself to break the silence.

“Are you going to let me in?” He asked. Martha shook her head, her fingers still firmly pressing against her lips. “Okay… well, are you going to talk?” He asked. Martha didn’t respond this time, not with words or actions. She simply stared at him, watching as he breathed in and out. “Okay…” Jack muttered to himself, reaching into his jacket pocket. He withdrew a packet of chips, opening them and releasing their aroma. He dug his hand in deep, pulling out a single roughly-circular shaped potato chip. He popped it into his mouth. “Chip?” He asked with a grin. Martha looked down at the packet, and then back up at Jack. A small smile crept on her face.

“You know I hate that flavour.” She exclaimed, pushing his hand to the side as she dived for his neck. Her hands looped around, pulling him closer. With a smile Jack dropped his chips and moved his hands to her back, cuddling her tight. She rested her head on his chest as she felt his chin slide in the curve of her neck, a small smile appearing on both of their faces as their eyes closed. Taking deep breaths in, they both truly appreciated the moment.

After they had eventually torn themselves apart, Martha had led Jack to the sofa, where they had talked about the 18 months of absence.

“I just don’t understand why he kept you alive.” Martha said.

“Because he could use me as a gimmick, a trophy of how he’d beaten the police force. I guess I was more use to him alive and talking than dead.” Jack explained. Martha’s eyebrows wrinkled.

“But I heard 4 gun shots… and then your badge...” She mumbled, reminiscing the blocked out events. “It was covered in your blood. Soaked… it dripped on my hands.” She described, staring down at her open hands. Flashbacks of the event rushed through her mind. Once again the hands that lay before her were painted in blood, and her wound was radiating. She could feel the gravel rubbing beneath her as she reached out to the metal badge. Tears filled her eyes as she watched her hands tremble, she could feel her whole body preparing to collapse. Jack reached out, holding her hand tightly.

“It’s alright.” He whispered, shuffling closer. “I’m back. Every things going to be alright.” He said with a smile. Martha looked up at him, tears in her eyes.

“But they said you were dead…” She cried weakly. Jack sighed, cupping her face with his hand.

“They were wrong.” He said softly, rubbing his thumb along her moist cheek. “I’m not dead. I’m back and everything is going to be alright.” He assured her. Martha snivelled, staring into his deep brown eyes. “I’ve missed you, so much.” Jack smiled, caressing her hands. Martha nodded, a small smile appearing on her face.

“I’ve missed you too.” She whispered.

“I’m definitely not going to leave you anytime soon.” He told her, his voice choking with tears. Martha nodded slowly, bringing her hand up to his face.

“Good. I’m not prepared on letting you go either.” She smiled, gently stroking his cheek. “I never thought I’d see you again.” She told him, running her hand through the back of his hair.

“Me neither.” Jack said honestly. “I thought I’d lost you for good.” He said regretfully. Martha nodded, a tear skipping down her cheek. They stared at each other, the love returning in sweeps of energy. Sensing this, Martha let go of him, putting her hands on her lap and clearing her throat. Jack didn’t move, he continued to stare at her, admiring her brave nature. “What are you thinking?” He asked suddenly, watching as she stared down to the floor. Martha lifted her head up with a smile, resting her eyes upon Jack’s face.

“Just how long it’s been since we went to the diner.” She said. Jack stood up, holding out his hands.

“Let’s go then.” He grinned. Martha smiled up at him, taking in his whole appearance. With a laugh she took his hands and was pulled upwards. She felt so excited, so giggly. She hadn’t felt like this in a long while; roughly a year and a half ago.

Chapter 13 - Thanks to my Krys-topher. :)

Jack and Martha walked along side each other in silence. There was nothing awkward about this silence however, as both Jack and Martha were too preoccupied with their thoughts to feel uncomfortable. They were so happy and excited inside that they didn’t need to talk, just being next to each other was wonderful; they needn’t ask for more.

“Here we are!” Martha smiled, gesturing to the diner on the left.

“Has Colleen changed at all? You know, has she learnt when to shut up?” Jack asked bluntly, forcing Martha to laugh.

“You’ve been away for 18 months, and one of your first questions is about Colleen. Do I spot a new love interest?” Martha laughed. Jack curled his top lip up and rolled his eyes.

“Oh yea… totally.” He answered sarcastically. “I just want to be prepared when I head in there.” He explained, gesturing to the diner. Martha sighed.

“Ooh… No she hasn’t.” She smiled at the end, grabbing Jack’s arm. “It’s too late now.” She laughed, listening to his groan.

Jack stepped in the diner, following Martha. The noisy, chattery customers came to a halt and silence swept in from the half-open windows. Mouths were open, eyes were wide, and food had been dropped in disbelief. Constable Holden was back from the dead - so it seemed.

“I’m seeing ghosts!!” Colleen screeched, throwing the two dinner plates up in the air. Irene came storming from the kitchen.

“What is going off woman!?” She yelled, stepping over the food. She looked up in anger, but that soon faded as she saw what the commotion was about. “Oh my Gawd!!” Irene exclaimed, bringing her hand to her mouth.

“Constable Holden!!” Colleen screeched again, as she began to waddle towards him. Jack forced a smile, slightly taken aback by the reception. He knew he’d cause a shock, but he didn’t expect this reaction. He looked around the room, frantically trying to estimate how many curious members of Summer Bay were making their way towards him. He could see the huge crowd grow closer and closer, and he began to feel smothered. They started to fire questions at the same time, and impatiently repeated them when they weren’t instantly answered. Jack gazed around at the faces, trying to understand what they were saying.

“I’m fine thanks…18 months…No I didn’t kill…Yes without Ice-Cream…I didn’t go on holiday…I didn’t fake…” He tried to answer them all, frantically darting his head around the crowd. He felt as if he was being smothered alive.

Martha watched on from the door, in shock at the sudden burst of life around Jack. A few moments ago Jack had innocently walked in with a milkshake and Colleen in mind; and now he was being eaten alive. Martha couldn’t help but kick up a little laugh as she watched him trying to cope with the masses of questions he was being asked. He was stuttering and looking around frantically, shifting backwards slightly to try and find himself some personal space. But this did no good as the crowd just etched forward even more. Though Martha was having a blast watching his startled expression, she couldn’t help but have the urge to go in and grab him. Her smile slowly faded as she watched him being mobbed by the curious neighbours, each one wanting their own time with the constable. Martha hated to be selfish, but she couldn’t help wanting to take him out. She’d missed him so much. She had dreamt of this happening for 18 months, and now it had, she wasn’t about to waste it. Every moment she wanted to spend and catch up with him. She didn’t care if it was a silent walk along the beach, or a talk as she cleaned Noah’s floor; she just wanted to be with him. Her eyes clicked back in focus and she watched again as Jack politely asked everyone to back off. Unfortunately no one could hear over Colleen’s screeches down the phone to Madge Wilkins, so they continued harassing him with the firing questions.

“Please… if you’d just step back a bit…I only wanted to get a milkshake!!” Jack protested, struggling with the crowd of nosey people. He sighed, bringing his hand to his forehead. ‘Why didn’t I see this coming?’ He asked himself, ‘And where the hell is Martha?’ With that last thought, he felt a warm hand slide next to his palm, and five fingers intertwine with his. This action was followed by a sharp pull, which led him running free out from the crowd and out of the diner.

“Come back!!” Colleen called, slamming the phone receiver down. “Madge will be here any minute!”

Martha and Jack ran out and around the diner, sneaking into a meter wide gap between a fence and a wall as they hid from Colleen. They panted in-between laughs, mimicking different customers expressions.

“I thought I was a goner!” Jack laughed. “Did you see everyone!? I walked in and their jaws just dropped. I’ve never had that response before! They must have all missed me.” Jack grinned. Martha shook her head as she breathed in deeply.

“No,” she began, “it’s because your fly’s open.” She told him seriously, pointing downwards. Jack stopped laughing and shot his head down, checking his trousers. As soon as he’d done so he could feel the vibrations shooting through his arm; Martha’s light laughter rippling through their hands.

“You’re so funny.” Jack remarked sarcastically. Martha stuck her tongue out, calming her breathing down.

“Well, one of us has to be.” She sighed. It was only in the silence after they’d both calmed down that they realised the affectionate pass between them; they were still holding hands. Slowly, their eyes flowed from their laced fingers to each other’s eyes, and then they began to deepen their gaze. Their faces grew a small smile, not so wide to look creepy and suspicious, but wide enough to show their happiness. It was a pure natural smile, one neither had experienced in a long while. The surroundings were becoming hazy, and the beautiful palette of colours merged to make something more magnificent. But they were oblivious to the unique beauty in the background, the person in the foreground before them was all that mattered. Martha’s heart began to race, feelings flooded back in her heart that had never really left; they had just slept in the broken, lonely shell for those dark months. Jack could feel himself being drawn towards her, this uncontrollable force was adamant to bring their lone bodies together. Jack’s free hand carefully lifted up and placed on her hip, anchoring her closer. The other hand gripped tighter and pulled behind him; escorting her nearer. He stopped at a comfortable distance of 2 inches away, giving her the chance of the final step. He knew this is what he had to do; she had to be the one in control of their actions. He looked at her, her eyes, her lips, her face… it was taking all his self-control not to lean in and sweep her off her feet. She looked so beautiful, so perfect; he wanted this moment to last forever. His eyes rolled around her soft face until he met back at her eyes, where he stopped in amazement. Her eyes were all that he’d dreamed about, all that he’d seen in reflections of surfaces during his long absence. Those wide eyes, a magnificent shade of sparkling blue, could set any heart racing. Jack let out a small sigh, his heart thudding with joy. The beautiful, glistening eyes began to grow closer and tilt to the left as Martha’s neck pushed further upwards towards his ready to enterwine. Jack felt her hand touch the back of his neck, sending a shiver of tingles down his spine, and she applied a tiny force as she pulled him in further, drawing them closer together. He watched intently as her eyelids fell down and her mouth grew closer, anticipating the magic moment. His eyelids followed the trend, closing softly and allowing him to move in. The inches had become millimetres, and they were within seconds of touch when…

“Jack?! Jack!?” Colleen called, her footsteps could be heard from outside the diner, hobbling to the corner where they were hidden. Jack and Martha’s eyes flicked open, and their heads began to bow. Jack couldn’t help but release a small, frustrated groan. Martha gently took her hand away from his neck and moved away. She studied his face as she drew away; she studied how close they’d become. What had happened? How had she let it get that far? The simple expression on his face showed that he was disappointed with their intrusion. Martha held her breath, her eyes weakening with the vicious cursing that circulated her head, but her mouth smiling at the precious feelings that had flooded back.

Jack pulled her further down the corridor-like gap and held her close, signalling her to be quiet. Colleen’s patter could be heard running around the diner corner. Jack and Martha couldn’t help but give out a short snort. She was running around breathlessly, leaning against the fence as she peered on the beach.

“Get in here woman!” Irene shouted, coming out from the diner door. “You’ve got a mess to tidy up!” She told her, putting her hands on her hips. Colleen turned around, flustered from her recent jog.

“But that was young Constable Holden!” Colleen screeched.

“I know who it was, and I know he won’t want you running after him!! Leave the boy alone and get back in that kitchen!” Irene instructed. Colleen sighed, moaning at her orders, and reluctantly waddled back into the diner.

“Wow, that’s the first time I’ve had a woman run after me…” Jack laughed once the coast was clear. Martha chuckled, stepping backwards and looking up at him.

“I can’t say I’m surprised.” She smiled cheekily. Jack opened his mouth, pretending to be offended. “Well, I’d appreciate for now if you leave the Colleen-chasing for later, and take a walk with me.” She said. Jack shook his head with a smile.

“You’re so…”

“Fabulous?” She grinned sweetly, walking backwards. “Comon, lets go to the beach.” She suggested, leaving the gap and walking towards the sea. Jack smiled, putting his hands in his pockets as he watched her giggle off.

“So close…” He muttered to himself, thinking of the near kiss they had previously experienced.

Next Chapter - Jack discovers what Martha forgot to mention to him (And us!).

God that kiss bit was hard to do, still not happy, but I could sit here for AGES reading through and editing words - and that'd be boring. lol. So, I've posted it. Cringeworthy for me, yes, but I wanted to try and write something different, and more detailed than my usual "Kissed passionately". :P lol. But thanks soo much for Krys who really helped. Cheers girly! :D

Ha! I look like a fool now! :P

I got bored and forced myself to do one. And here we are!

It's not great, and it could have probably done with a few more "going overs" and it's also not been proof read. So, sorry. I just thought it was best to get it down now, before I forget or accidently delete it. (I do that sort of thing)

Enjoy! :D

Chapter 14

“So,” Martha began, walking along with Jack, “was it scary?” She asked. Jack shrugged, putting his hands in his pockets.

“Well, for anyone else, yes. But I’m a proper man… I handled it.” He said smugly. Martha laughed, elbowing him in the stomach.

“A proper man who runs away from Colleen?” She giggled. Jack stopped smiling and paused, thinking of an answer.

“I’m playing hard to get.” He told her with a grin. Martha shook her head with laughter, moving her eye line slowly to the shore. Another cute, giggly blush had come over her, and she was trying her best to hide it. She felt like a little girl, talking to some famous, much loved idol. ‘But he’s Jack.’ She told herself, a smile creeping on her face. ‘He’s Jack! Jack’s back!’ She began chanting in her head.

Jack watched carefully, a grin unfolding from his lips. ‘What is she doing?’ He thought to himself, staring curiously at her strange smile. Her eyes seemed distant, yet her lips were very much alive with a cute smile; the only sign that she was still breathing. Jack chuckled lightly, rolling his eyes at her.

“Am I that boring that you have to daydream to keep yourself awake?” Jack asked, breaking into Martha’s thoughts. She turned back around quickly, her eyes wide and alert.

“What?” She asked. Jack smiled, shaking his head to the sun.

“Nevermind…” He muttered. “Why don’t we sit down?” He proposed, standing still. Martha nodded, sitting down beside his feet.

Sitting there in front of the peaceful waves was an emotional roller coaster. Half the time they were calm and cool, totally relaxed and free from stress and worry. The other half they were bubbly and excited, one nudge away from leaping around like lunatics. But this wide range of emotions was understandable after what had happened in the last 24 hours.

“Jack,” Martha disturbed, looking up seriously at the man beside her. Jack nodded simply, blinking his eyes only once to show his attention. “He’s not going to come back for you, is he?” She asked quietly, sinking her vision back into the sand. Jack paused, his eyes still fixated on her face. This question was bound to crop up sooner or later; it’s just a shame it was sooner.

“Nah.” He answered simply. ‘What the hell did you do that for?’ Jack scolded himself, a thousand thumps of fury rumbling around in his head. He knew it was a lie, he knew he shouldn’t have said it; but it slipped out. His lips had formed the letter shapes and his tongue had complied. Their combined actions were much stronger than Jack’s thoughts. They had control; they could spin whatever lies they wanted.

“So, he just let you go?” She asked, disbelieving. Jack reluctantly shook his head, looking back down at the sand as he gave in to his lies.

“Nope. He’s dead.” He answered stiffly, in a uniform tone. Martha sensed his shiftiness; aware of the lies he was spinning. She could tell. In his face, in his eyes, in his voice. He was lying.

“Tell me the truth.” She instructed, putting her hand on his knee. “I want to know.” She said. Jack flicked his head up, connecting with her eyes.

“Why?” Jack asked, confused. “Why is it any of your business?” He snapped. Martha sat shocked, her head shaking.

“Because last time it was my business. Need I remind you of the scar in my stomach?” She asked angrily, standing up in fury. Jack sighed, closing his eyes as he cleared his thoughts. With a simple push off the ground Jack stood up, grabbing Martha’s arm and pulling her closer.

“I’m sorry,” He apologized sincerely, “I just can’t talk about this right now.” He told her, pausing as he looked downwards. “It’s too soon, I can’t go into things…” His voice descended to a mutter. Martha looked at him, her anger silently slipping away. A half-smile developed on her lips, rubbing his arm affectionately.

“That’s fine.” She assured him sympathetically. She felt so selfish. Ever since she’d seen him at her flat she’d thought about the 18 months away from him, how hard it had been for her. Not once had she even began to think of the traumatic experiences he must have faced. No wonder he wasn’t keen on speaking about it yet; she knew she would want to forget it all. She took a big breath in, smiling towards the sea.

“Wanna go skinny dipping?” She asked, trying to soften the silence. Jack’s head shot up to her eyes. Martha laughed at his innocent and confused expression. “Just kidding. Don’t worry.” She giggled, patting his head. Jack let out a light chuckle.

“Comon Mac,” He said, picking up her wrist as he pulled her closer to his side, “let’s go walkies…” He smiled, letting go as they strolled along the shore.

“When did I become your dog?” She laughed, hitting him gently. “Talking of dogs…” She began, a happy grin appearing on her face.

“You got a dog!?” Jack interrupted, excitement glowing off his face. “What’s its name? Let me guess… Trevor. No, Rover. Rex?” He guessed happily.

“No,” she laughed, shaking her head, “I haven’t got a dog.” She told him, watching his face deflate. “I’ve got a fish.” She said with a proud gleam. Jack stood still, his face in disbelief.

“A fish?” He repeated blankly. Martha nodded, a happy giggling escaping her lips.

“Yep! But not just any fish – a gold fish!” She declared, clapping her hands together. “Her name is Goldy.” She informed him with glee. Jack rolled his eyes.

“How original…” He muttered sarcastically, giving out a disappointed sigh. Martha smiled at him, pinching his cheek.

“Awww, you looked so excited.” She laughed, teasing his previous expressions.

“I thought you had a dog, not a stupid fis-”

“Don’t you dare.” Martha interrupted, raising her finger and waving it as she warned. “She is my fishy and I shall protect her. You call my fishy, and I shall make your life hell.” She said threateningly. Jack gave out a short laugh, but then stopped, as her face grew fiercer.

“Okay…” He said weakly, obeying her orders.

“I’ll introduce you later.” She told him with a proud smile, looking ahead as they walked.

“Looking forward to it, you crazy loon.” Jack muttered under his breath, unaware that Martha could hear. Within a second Martha’s hand was raised and she playfully swiped his arm, sending the pair in a childish giggle.

“I thought about you everyday.” Martha blurted out, interrupting their warm silence. Jack looked at her, intrigued and touched. She responded with a returning look, keeping him entranced as she continued. “I thought about you every day and every night. Just about you, about what you’d normally do at that time of day, or about memories. Your stupid little comments stuck in my head like a thorn in a pillow; and they kept reminding me of you.” She told him with a small smile. “I tried to take the thorns out.” She admitted regretfully, ashamed of herself. She looked back in front of them, unable to keep their gaze. Jack watched as she looked away guiltily and stared in front, trying to keep her emotions at bay. She obviously thought she’d done something wrong. He took her hand and pulled her around to face him, stopping their movement forwards.

“I don’t blame you,” Jack told her, “I’d have done the same.” He said honestly. Martha looked up at him, shaking her head.

“You’re just saying that.” She exclaimed. “And anyway, that doesn’t change anything. I tried to forget about you Jack! I told you that night before you went that I wouldn’t be able to cope without you, and then there I was, trying to prove myself wrong. I was pretending you hadn’t even existed, I was destroying and forgetting our memories!” She cried. “Just for me. Just so that I didn’t cry at night.” She told him.

“Good,” Jack smiled, “Remember back on that day, when I got took away? I told you to move on and be happy. I didn’t want you to hold on to the past, forgetting me and moving on was exactly what I wanted you to do. You shouldn’t be ashamed of it.” Jack told her, cupping her face with his right hand. Martha shook her head, her eyes filling.

“Yea, but you’re alive aren’t you? You’re back, but I’m gone.” She told him, her throat quivering with sadness. Jack looked at her, intrigued at why she was growing so upset.

“Martha, what do you mean?” He asked, intently staring into her eyes. “You’re gone?” He repeated. A solemn tear had already escaped and began to flee to her chin.

“I moved on.” She told him simply. Jack looked at her, reading her face for signs.

“What do you mean? It’s not about another goldfish is it-”

“Martha!” A voice called out from behind. Martha broke her hand away from Jack’s and peered past his shoulder, looking behind him at the man that was approaching.

“Hey.” Martha quickly dried her cheeks with her hands, breathing in deeply as she tried to clear any sign of crying. “I didn’t know you were back.” She said as he approached.

“Surprise!” He smiled as he reached them, stopping in front Jack and Martha. Martha hesitated, and then reluctantly followed with an introduction.

“Eamon this is Jack, an old friend. Jack this is Eamon, my fiancé.” She finished quietly. Eamon smiled brightly, putting his hand forward.

“Pleased to meet you.” He exclaimed, his hand balancing in mid-air as he awaited Jack’s hand to accompany it. But Jack’s hand did not budge. Jack’s hand stayed firmly at his side, as he rigidly stood staring at Eamon and Martha. This was what she meant, she’d moved on.

Dum dum dum...

Okay, I admit, it's been ages.

But I've been busy, in my defence.

My apologies. :)

Here you go guys. I couldn't write Martha in this chapter. Sorry. lol. Fingers wouldn't let me. :P

Rugby is Aussie's Football. So I guess a rugby tackle is a.. football tackle?

Chapter 15

Jack sat down on the sand, staring out to sea. Sunset had passed and it was now growing dark. Small gasps of light however still glowed in the dim sky, and a few reflected in the ripples on the oceans surface. These were the only traces of evidence left to convince him that day had even occurred. Evening was well and truly present.

The couples began to drift from the beach, and gangs of youths poddled off too, laughing and singing as they teased the less fortunate soul of the group. With arms linked, the girls giggled and smiled flirtatiously at the rowdy lads. The male’s simple reply was one of natural behaviour, a ritual schoolboy faze - pushing their mates around to look impressive.

A shudder of laughs fell through the group; a high-pitched giggle from a blonde girl in the centre rang out on top. Slowly, she let go of her girl friends and sunk back to the proud boy who stood next to the body, the body that lay embarrassed on the floor. The loser. She looked up at him with a smile, a sweet grin and a glisten in her eye as she threw a less-than-comical joke. But who was he to question her humour? He, the boy who thought it was funny to headlock his best mate, or rugby tackle his science partner could pass no judgement on hilarity. Together the pair of lovers made a great match. Their looks, their attitude, their smile. They looked a perfect picture stood beside one another; that was until the previous boy made his return, getting his revenge with a swift rugby tackle to the legs.

The proud boy fell to the floor, embarrassment flooding his rosy cheeks.

Jack smiled to himself, shaking his head at the immaturity of the youths.

“If only it was that simple…” He sighed, looking back down to the sandy floor.

Hours had passed since the introduction to Eamon Cobb. A man in his mid-20s, medium-build with short blonde hair. Jack had studied his face, body and smile as Eamon stood with his arm around Martha, chatting to them both. Jack had tried to find the man behind those eyes but had struggled to see through his friendly exterior. Unfortunately, Jack had developed a feeling, an annoying conclusion that lay in the base of his mind. It wasn’t just an exterior, it was no lie or fake – Eamon seemed like a genuinely friendly guy. The polite, happy man before him was confident and content, celebrating the fact that Martha’s friend was back after 18 months of leave. Not that it had affected him. Eamon had seen how happy his fiancé was about Jack’s return, and decided to embrace in the reunion, supporting his partner and celebrating with her.

‘We should go for drinks,’ he’d suggested with a grin, ‘I bet we can swap some stupid stories about Martha. I know I’ve got a few.’ That was when Martha had playfully pushed him away, shaking her head with a laugh. Her eyes glistened with happiness, until they returned back to Jack’s. That’s when they sunk to the floor, filled with guilt.

Jack hadn’t been able to take it any longer, so he’d found an excuse and bailed, trailing up the beach with his broken heart at his feet.

He’d began to wander around the bay, familiarising himself with the old surroundings. But he didn’t pay attention to the scenery. The thoughts of Martha had burned his mind, just like they were doing now. Subconsciously he’d roamed around the streets, blocking out the world around him. But with a flashing light and a police siren blazing near by, he’d been plucked away from his own thoughts and brought back to the living.

Lara Fitzgerald had been driving past; returning back to the station after a burglar alarm had falsely been set off at a house on the outskirts of the bay. She was innocently travelling down a quiet road, when she found her eyes flicker to the man walking slowly on the pavement. With a breath, two feet had slammed on the brake, startling her partner beside her. She gave him no reason for her sudden stop; she said nothing but mutter simple, inaudible words under her breath. With a sharp, almost immediate reaction she had begun to reverse, leaning closer to the window screen as she rolled in front of him. Her suspicions had been confirmed.

Her face lit up, shining her bright smile as tears filled her eyes. But he wasn’t looking. With a roll of the eyes and a cheeky grin, she flicked the sirens on, deafening his ears and blinding his eyes with a flood of light in his direction. After a brief pause of bewilderment, Jack recognized the vehicle. He looked up at the woman who had hopped out, leant against her open door.

“Constable Holden. So the rumours are true.” She’d exclaimed with a grin, resting her chin on the frame of the door. Jack had smiled, lifting his hands up.

“You caught me.” He’d joked sadly, his thoughts still distant with Martha. Fitzy however hadn’t noticed, she had been too busy running in his direction. She leaped at him, hugging him tightly as a tear slid down her cheek.

After that it was a blur. She had pushed Jack in the car in-between laughs, tears, and cheers. She had been quite confused, unsure what to say in the situation, though she was not as confused as her partner Constable Jacobs. The young constable had been moved to the back of the car, unaware that the man who’d just replaced him was the man he’d replaced those 18 months ago.

It was only at the station when Jack realised what his appearance there meant. A statement.

Sure enough, he was right. After an hour reunion with his old colleagues, Jack had been led into the interview room and questioned by Detective Baker. The 2-hour session involved questions concerning the beginning events, the events that had taken place when he’d been held for all those months, and then his escape. Most importantly - Henry’s current location.

“Er….” Jack had stuttered, ignoring his subconscious’ pleas. “He’s dead.” He’d answered, forcing a smile afterwards.

Thankfully, it seemed to Jack like Peter had full confidence in what Jack was saying. But he also knew Peter was no fool and that he’d have to watch his tongue.

It’s not that Jack was purposely lying, well in some cases he was, but he was just hiding the truth. He wasn’t being spiteful; he wasn’t being cruel or malicious. He was simply trying to forget about it all and was determined not to let Henry ruin his life all over again. He wanted to blank it all out, pretend that he hadn’t lost 18 months of his life to a nut case and pretend that nothing had happened.

But he had one reminder, one reminder he couldn’t blank. He couldn’t exterminate and he couldn’t ignore. That churning feeling inside his stomach, that penetrating heart beat that shook his body stiff and that aching in his head; caused by the aftermath of his 18 months of absence. The unbearable reality that Martha had moved on and seemed to be very much in love with a man called Eamon; and they were to be wed.

Following the police station, Jack was instructed to go to the hospital for a check-up. At first he’d declined, but seeing it as an opportunity to keep his mind busy and away from a certain woman, he accepted the offer.

His check-up had only taken an hour and a half, which was good for Summer Bay’s hospital, considering the clumsiness of the town folk. So then he’d made his way back to the beach to clear his head before he got home. He knew that Tony and Lucas would want him to talk about Martha and have his feelings out in the open. But Jack didn’t want to. He didn’t want to think about her, let alone talk about her. Giving himself as much time alone as possible would help him, avoiding the inevitable conversation was giving him more opportunity to set up a false smile, a fake laugh, and a forged expression to cover those sunken eyes. He didn’t want sympathy, pity or hugs; he wanted to get on with his life.

So he’d sit here, listening to the distant laughs of the group of youths stumbling up the beach, and watch as the loving couples walked off; one by one, hand in hand. Until he’d finished moping and feeling sorry for himself, until he’d finished reliving the day’s awful revelation he would stay on this beach. In this place, staring at the gasps of light on the sky’s ceiling, and the sea’s rippling surface. Not until he had learned to ignore the churning in his stomach, the pain in his heart, and the ache in his head he would return to his father’s house.

Sorry, still a lack of Martha. :)

Chapter 16

Tony, Lucas, Beth and Matilda were in the lounge of the Hunter-Holden residence, anxiously waiting for Jack to arrive home. The lounge was buzzing with the small family, all of them talking about the return of their much loved Jack. Tony and Lucas hadn’t shut up about him since Beth and Matilda had arrived home, and their grins had spread from ear to ear. Beth and Matilda had wanted to run out and find him, but after they were warned about Jack’s meeting with Martha they decided to settle down and wait. As time drew along and Jack kept adding onto his arrival appointment it was obvious what was troubling him. Martha. They had all agreed that Jack would probably need to be cheered up when he arrived back home, so they had decided to keep the conversation light and friendly and to interrupted only for chocolate and beer.

“Hello?” Tony called out, jolting up from the sofa. Matilda and Lucas spun around from where they were, laying their eyes upon the door. Beth was sat upright, her breath held as she waited to see the return of the missing stepson. Footsteps could be heard, gradually growing louder. Beth stood up beside Tony, holding his hand excitedly.

“I’m so happy for you.” She whispered to him. Tony smiled, leaning his head affectionately towards hers. Lucas grabbed Matilda’s hand and led her to the sofa, where they stood impatiently waiting.

“Hey.” Jack smiled, swinging the door open.

“Jack!!” Beth cheered, launching forward to him. Jack couldn’t help but laugh as Beth threw her arms around him, holding him tight.

“Hey Beth.” He smiled. “And Maddie.” He added, picking up his hand and waving towards her. She moved closer, joining in the hug.

“Should we be jealous?” Lucas asked Tony jokingly, watching as they united at the door.

Once eyes had been dried and hugs had been withdrawn the family sat down on the sofa, eating and chatting about what had gone on in the bay.

“Dad hit a kid at school and got fired.” Lucas shot out, interrupting Matilda’s explanation on her recent wardrobe malfunction. Matilda, Tony and Jack looked at Lucas; their mouths open in shock.

“Really?” Jack exclaimed. “It’s about time, you teach some right idiots-” He laughed.

“No I did not!” Tony dismissed angrily. “I would not hit one of my students. It’s wrong Jack.” He scolded. Jack put his hands up, smiling sweetly.

“He said it, not me.” He said as his defence, directing all eyes back to Lucas.

“What? It was better than Matilda’s story. We were all dying of boredom… anyway, you should have seen Dad’s face…” Lucas chuckled to himself, leaning back on the sofa. Matilda, who was sat beside him, rotated further to maintain her death stare.

“You’re just saying it was boring because I was getting to the part where you moronically tried to put my top on.” Matilda argued. Jack burst out laughing from the left.

“Really!?” He cried. Lucas sat upright, blushing.

“It was dark-” He began to mumble.

“So 18 months away, and I come back to a sister?” Jack exclaimed through hysterical laughs. Lucas groaned, standing up and looking down at a giggling Matilda.

“I hope you’re happy. He’s not going to shut up now.” Lucas snapped. Matilda looked up with an innocent smile.

“Yea… I know.” She grinned proudly. Lucas rolled his eyes and grunted, grumbling under his breath as he sulkily walked to the kitchen for a drink.

“I think Jack’s enjoying himself.” Tony observed from the kitchen as he stood with Lucas. Lucas nodded, leaning against the worktop as they watched Jack, Beth and Matilda still laughing hysterically at the previous story on the sofa.

“Yea, I just wish he’d find someone else to laugh at.” Lucas sighed with a smile. “I need to get revenge on Matilda.” He muttered. Tony laughed, shaking his head.

“He hasn’t said a lot about Martha, has he? In fact, by looking at him you wouldn’t think that he’s found out about Eamon. Do you think she told him?” Tony asked Lucas. Lucas paused, looking between a smiling Jack and Tony.

“Hmm… I don’t know. I hadn’t thought about it. I’d just assumed that she would have done.” Lucas pondered curiously, “it’s not fair if she doesn’t tell him.” He said. Tony nodded, watching as Jack stood up and smiled towards the two males, making his way to them both.

“Hey Dad, Sis.” Jack greeted with a grin as he reached them. He continued around the corner and to the end of the kitchen, where the fridge was located. “Beer.. beer.. beer…” He sung under his breath as he retrieved a bottle from the large white refrigerator. Lucas and Tony looked at one another, then at Jack.

“How’d it go with Martha?” Tony asked. Jack sighed, opening his bottle and smiling at the two of them.

“That was totally unsubtle.” He chuckled lightly, taking a drink of his beer before he continued. “You want me to tell you how I’m feeling about Eamon, don’t you?” He asked.

“So she told you then…” Lucas sighed.

“Yea, she had to. I think Eamon was wondering who the hell was with his fiancé.” Jack muttered.

“So you’ve met him?” Tony exclaimed, “Were you okay? Are you okay?” he asked caringly. Jack laughed, putting his hand on Tony’s shoulder.

“I’m fine.” He assured him. “Awww you guys, you were worried about me weren’t you?”

“Yea. You do love Martha-”

“Loved.” Jack interrupted Lucas with seriousness. “Loved Martha.” He repeated. “It’s been 18 months. I’m fine with her moving on. I don’t care.” He told them with confidence. “It no longer affects me.” finished with a smile, leaving the kitchen as he wondered back in the lounge. “So has Lucas got any more worrying issues I should know about?” They heard Jack ask as he walked off.

“Maybe he is fine with it.” Lucas suggested quietly to his Dad. Tony stood, frowning at his son a few metres away. Though it was obvious he was thinking of a response, he did not say anything. He simply left the kitchen and joined the family, sitting down quietly as he sunk back in with conversation, watching and studying his eldest son in his deception. Lucas was left in the kitchen, curious at his Dad’s suspicious mind.

Jack sat grinning, a laugh escaping his lips as he politely nodded towards Beth. But inside he wasn’t particularly involved in the story, as the clever mask on the skin of his face that implied he was happy was silent and transparent inside, therefore not affecting his true feelings. He couldn’t stop thinking about her, he couldn’t stop picturing her and Eamon; and it was breaking his heart.

No Martha... again.....

.... :P

(I tried to fight it! Lol)

Chapter 17

Lucas placed his glass in the sink, wiping his mouth dry with his pyjama sleeve. He gave out a long sigh, turning back around to the living room. He lightly bounced on the kitchen floor, reacting from the cool, cold tingling that was being sent through the pores on his feet.

“Cold…” He grumbled to himself, leaping onto the lounge carpet. He gave a sigh of relief as he gently scratched the carpet with his toes. He looked up at the bags and shoes that had been carelessly discarded on the living room floor, then towards the sleeping Jack. “So I have to get to there, without waking Jacky boy up.” He muttered to himself in a whisper, pointing towards the door on the opposite side. “It’s a challenge…” He smiled, beginning to take his first leap over shoes. Why he was doing this, he didn’t know. All he knew was that he’d been awake for 40 minutes already, excitedly grinning to himself about Jack’s return. He couldn’t sleep; he was too excited! Planning events for tomorrow, for the next week, for the next year – because his brother was going to be there. After 40 minutes of sitting at the top of his bed, wide awake, he decided it was best to go get a glass of water to calm him down. It obviously hadn’t worked. After his second leap, he recognized a fault in the surroundings. “Why the hell is the light on?” He muttered to himself, standing still and looking up at the large light on the ceiling. “I turned it off before I went to bed…” He pondered, looking back down at a sleeping Jack. “Someone must have got up and left it on..” He said, coming to the only realistic conclusion. He spun around, taking one leap and a skip forward to the light switch. With a flick he turned it off, plunging the room into darkness. The only light source shone from the window, a 30 cm gap between the pairs of curtains. Lucas looked down at the lounge floor with a grin. He licked his lips, rubbed his hands together and smirked at the challenge. “Ladies and Gentleman, Lucas Holden.” He whispered in a show voice. He took his next leap, and began to sing the infamous Mission Impossible theme tune. However, he’d barely hit the 3rd bar before slipping over and falling to the floor in a crash, smacking his head on a table and sending a shiver to the lamp above.

Jack jumped up, hearing the loud crash behind. He’d lunged from the sofa and spun around trembling before Lucas could even let out a groan. Jack sensed the darkness, remembering that he had turned the light on not too long ago. He let out a whimper, realising who it could be. He stood quivering, staring into the darkness. One slit of light was the only source of radiance, which ironically illuminated the light switch. But that was too far to walk to, that would be challenging the dark. Jack swallowed, flicking his eyes around the room.

“Hello-” He began, but was disturbed by a movement in the light. Jack’s rigid body tensed, aching with the stretch. A pair of eyes lit up, reflecting from the moonlight source peering in from the window. Slightly below those eyes were some other boy-like features, and above was a hand, rubbing a hurting scalp. Jack sighed in relief, leaning over and swinging the curtains open, unveiling an injured brother laid on the floor. “It’s only you…” He panted, leaning on his knees as he tried to retrieve his steady beating pulse. Lucas groaned, standing up and flicking on the light switch.

“Who else did you think it was?” Lucas asked, rubbing his head as he winced. Jack stood straight, staring at Lucas as he thought of the answer. ‘Henry. You thought it was Henry. You idiot.’ Jack scorned himself. Lucas stood innocently, watching as Jack gazed towards him, deep in thought. “Jack… who did you think it was?” Lucas repeated concerned, moving towards him. Jack looked away, rubbing his eyes.

“The bogey-man.” He answered sarcastically, sitting back down on the sofa. Lucas sat beside him, still nursing his glowing bump. Jack couldn’t help but smirk at his brother. “You goof.” He said simply, playfully pushing Lucas’ shoulder. Lucas sat offended, pouting towards his brother.

“Excuse me?” He exclaimed.

“You heard me. What were you doing, a bit of Mission Impossible through the jungle of the living room?” Jack guessed. Lucas turned pink, looking around the room as he tried to hide his embarrassment.

“How did you know?” He mumbled under his breath, still denying it in his expressions. Jack smiled, leaning back on the sofa.

“I was 8 once you know… shame you’re still acting like that when you’re 15.” Jack grinned sarcastically. Lucas laughed, sitting up straight.

“16.” He smiled proudly. Jack looked up confused.

“What?” He asked.

“16. I’m 16, not 15.” Lucas informed him. Jack shook his head.

“No.. you’re-” It was then when Jack realised, when he remembered his absence. He’d missed his 16th birthday.

“16.” Lucas again smiled proudly, finishing off Jack’s sentence. “Which reminds me, you owe me a birthday present.” He smirked. But his cheeky comment had no effect on Jack, as he was still pondering his last thought. Not only had those 18 months wrecked his future with Martha and left some traumatic and scarring memories; but it had stolen 18 months worth of good memories. He sat still for a moment, looking down at his hands in sorrow. Why hadn’t he been prepared for this? Why hadn’t he realised that he wouldn’t just be able to slip back into life, and that everything wouldn’t be all right? His stupidity had led him to believe that all would be swell in Summer Bay, that his life would be perfect. But it was not, and he was learning this gradually and painfully. Jack shook his thoughts away, reminding himself it was only one birthday, something that he was surely able to accept and get over. But deep inside he knew it wasn’t the birthday that was bugging him, it was what it represented.

“What did you do for your 16th?” Jack asked him. Lucas shrugged.

“Nothing.” He told him. “You know, it just didn’t feel right. You’d only been gone about 7 months.” Jack looked down.

“You should have had one. I wish you had.” Jack told him. Lucas nodded gently, looking up at the fireplace.

“Martha said you’d want me to have one.” Lucas sighed, sitting back down as he stared blankly in front. Jack looked up beside him, intrigued in the conversation.

“Martha?” Jack asked. “So were you guys close then? Did she talk about me?” He was curious, and too lazy to slip his questions in subtly.

“Yea, we’ve gotten really close. She comes here every Sunday morning when Eamon’s at church, then he comes and has Sunday dinner with us. In a normal week we see her about… 5 times. So yea, pretty close.” Lucas told a surprised Jack. “And no to your other question. She didn’t really talk about you. Not after the trouble anyway..” He trailed off. Jack picked his head up, intrigued at what Lucas had just said.

“What trouble?” He asked. Lucas shook his head.

“It’s nothing.” He sighed, knowing that it was no longer necessary to talk about the event. He shivered, moving the blanket around him as they sat out the silence. Jack was clearly thinking of Martha and Eamon, and Lucas was nursing his wound.

“So, what did you do for your 16th? Did you have a party?” Lucas asked nosily. Jack looked up at him, surprised.

“You mean Dad hasn’t told you? I’m surprised he didn’t start spilling his stories as soon as I left!” Jack chuckled. Lucas smiled to himself.

“What, like going on a date with your shirt inside out?” Lucas asked cheekily. Jack sat open mouthed, shaking his head in disbelief.

“I’ll kill him…” He muttered under his breath. Lucas laughed, nudging Jack with his shoulder.

“Go ahead, I’ve got all I need for years of teasing.” Lucas sniggered. Jack’s eyes lit up, looking towards his brother.

“Fine. You can tell everyone at breakfast, right after I tell Maddie about your little adventure tonight.” Jack grinned smugly. “Du du du…” He mocked the Mission Impossible theme tune, wiggling his hands near Lucas’ frustrated face. Lucas let out a groan, shaking his head.

“I hate you sometimes..” he said through laughs, crossing his arms as he tried to look annoyed. Jack smiled cheekily again, relaxing on the sofa in pride.

Next Chapter - Martha IS alive, for all you guys that were wondering. She shall be making a reappearence. Unfortunately. lol.

Martha's here. It was much easier to write than I thought it'd be.. but Lucas was still a distraction. I have to start taking him from the damn fic else I'll just write about Jack and Lucas all day! lol.

Chapter 18 - Return of the Martha.

Martha strolled up to the door, nerves and excitement flowing through her body. With a couple of knocks she quietly entered, a small laugh escaping her lips.

“Like little babies…” She giggled to herself, closing the door carefully behind her. She strolled around to the front of the sofa to gain a better look. There she stood, smiling as she watched the two brothers asleep on the sofa.

Lucas had clearly not managed to get to his own bed last night, so he’d camped out on the sofa. It didn’t look like they had planned the slumber party, as Lucas and Jack were both in quite awkward positions. Jack was half laid down with one leg off the sofa, and one horizontally across the length. Lucas on the other hand, was totally laid down, his body in a ball behind the calf of Jack’s horizontal leg. The blanket that they shared had been stretched between the two, but it was obvious that the winner of the tug-a-war had been Lucas, who slept with a grin as he snuggled up to the blanket near his chin. Martha’s light laugh began to fade, smothered by a smile that hadn’t escaped her lips since she had entered. She couldn’t take her eyes off Jack, laid innocently asleep in the company of his brother. He looked so adorable, so cute; just like he did when she’d turn over and see him lying beside her all those months ago.

“I’m not early…” She mumbled to herself, reading 9 o’clock off her watch. “Maybe they didn’t think I’d come… Maybe they didn’t want me to come…” She thought aloud, mumbling under her breath as she paced the living room. She began to get more worked up, more worried that Tony and Lucas would not want anything to do with her. She understood that Jack would have a problem with Eamon and probably her; but the thought of Lucas and Tony picking sides hadn’t crossed her mind. Did this really mean that she wouldn’t spend time with her new found stepfather and brother? That’s what they were, her stepfamily. They’d welcomed her in as a precious family member and she’d loved every minute of their relationship. Was that all going to stop? Martha began grasping her hands together, shaking them gently as she tried to think things through. Her paces grew quicker and the routes she took began to differ. She closed her eyes, tilting her head upwards as she tried to distract herself from the confusing thoughts. That was when a pain hit her in the shin. “Damn!” She cursed, opening her eyes quickly to watch the small coffee table bang into Jack’s sleeping leg. With a thud his heel hit the base of the sofa, sending vibrations through the furniture. Jack’s eyes began to open, confused at the sudden pain in his leg. He slowly sat up, yawning gently and rubbing his eyes. It was not until he’d moved his hands away from his face that he noticed the woman stood in front, rigid and still as if she was trying to mould into the background.

“Martha?” Jack asked groggily. Martha sighed, forcing a smile.

“You caught me.” She laughed, putting her hands up. But that laugh faded when she got no response, only a look of sheer bewilderment.

“Wh….What are you doing?” Jack asked, still half embarrassed at the fact she’d walked in on him unflatteringly sleeping.

“…not a lot.” She said honestly. “Just looking at you and your brother… did you stay up late and swap manly stories?” She asked with a grin. Jack looked beside him at his sleeping brother. A small smile slid from his mouth.

“Something like that.” He chuckled, affectionately rubbing his brother’s leg to wake him. Jack paused, before shaking Lucas gently. “How does he not wake up?” Jack asked in amazement, his shaking getting more vigorous. Martha laughed, sitting down on an armchair.

“He’s like his brother, he only wakes up when he wants to.” She smiled. Jack stopped and spun around, shocked at her last comment.

“And I suppose you’re a ‘bright and early’ person yourself? You know how many times I had to prise you from that bed?” They laughed. “But then again, it probably wasn’t because you wanted sleep-” Jack stopped mid sentence, his laughter and smile withdrawing sharply from his face. He bit his lip, wishing he could take back that last stupid comment. He looked down quickly, embarrassed at his out burst. ‘She’s getting married you idiot!’ he scolded himself.

Martha froze, unsure of what her reaction should be. Inside she wanted to laugh, she wanted to continue the jokey atmosphere and reminisce their past, but she knew she shouldn’t. She was getting married now, and she was sure that Eamon wouldn’t support this talk and it wasn’t fair on him either. So she sat upright, giving a polite and awkward smile, hoping to aid Jack from his embarrassment.

Jack looked up at her smile, her polite and warm smile. It was obvious that she was putting it up out of courtesy; she knew that he’d gone too far. Jack’s face grew red as he put it in his hands.

“I’m sorry.” He apologized, rubbing his face. “I shouldn’t have said that.” Martha smiled, shaking her head.

“It’s okay, we’re still frie-”

“But I shouldn’t have said it.” Jack snapped, leaving his hands from his embarrassed face. “I shouldn’t have said it.” He affirmed quietly, looking up at her. Martha sat still, realising what this was about.

“Jack, I think we need to talk.” She began, moving and sitting down on the coffee table in front. Jack stood up, shaking his head

“Why are you here?” Jack asked, ignoring her previous statement.

“I come here every Sunday whilst Eamon’s at church, then Beth and your Dad cook Sunday dinner for us both.” She told him, standing up to meet him. Jack nodded, remembering that Lucas had told him the night before. “But before everyone gets up and Eamon comes, maybe we should have a chat-”

“I’ll go get my Dad-” He interrupted, ignoring her again.

“Jack,” Martha sighed, reaching out to touch his arm. “Please.” She pleaded. Jack looked down to her hand, the hand that burnt his tired and emotionless skin. He could feel the tingles shooting up his arm, the old feelings swarming back in. He looked up at her face; ‘Nothing.’ He thought to himself, watching her caring face, untouched by any sort of love or lust. ‘Sod all…’

“There’s nothing to talk about Martha. You’ve moved on. End of.” Jack sighed, rolling his eyes. He knew it was much more than her moving on, he knew that it created a whole mass of problems and feelings; but that mass he did not want to discuss, especially with Martha. Ignoring them was what was best, not bringing them up in conversation every 5 minutes.

“Jack please-”

“No Martha.” Jack snapped, interrupting her plea. “No.” He finished, taking his arm away from her. “I’ll go tell Dad you’re here-”

“Tell me what?” Tony smiled as he strolled in. “Sorry Martha love, I guess we all overlaid. It was a bit of a late night.” He explained, putting his hands together. “Are you two okay?” He mouthed to Jack, sensing the tenseness. Jack looked at Martha, sheepishly stood in front, folding her arms as she uncomfortably stood waiting. Jack sighed, returning his gaze to his Dad. He forced a smile, just as he had done the night before.

“Yea, great.” He grinned, bringing back his jokey self. “Just been catching up, making fun of Lucas; the usual.” Tony smiled in return to both Jack and Martha.

“Good. I had an awful feeling things were going to be tense and awkward today!” Tony laughed to them. Jack and Martha gave quiet, forced laughs in return, sharing a quick glance. “We’ll be out in 10 minutes Martha, make yourself at home.” He told her, beginning to turn around.

“Make that 20 minutes.” Jack laughed, poking his lifeless brother. “How the hell do you get him to wake up!?” Jack asked. Tony smiled, turning fully around and walking back to the sofa. He leant on the back and ducked his head low, near to Lucas’ ear.

“Matilda’s here-” But before Tony could finish his sentence, Lucas had shot up and off the sofa, standing up next to Martha. The dazed boy stood for a few seconds, looking around the room until he linked the laughs and the lack of Matilda together. He rolled his eyes and groaned.

“I’ll have to remember that one!” Jack laughed to his dad. “Come on boy!” He exclaimed through his laughs, nudging Lucas’ shoulder. “Go get dressed before I tell lover girl about our nice snugly hugs this morning!” He teased.

“We did NOT hug!” Lucas protested. Jack shook his head with a grin.

“Just get moving.” He laughed, shoving him around the sofa and out of the room. As he turned around the corner his eyes locked with Martha as she pleaded one last time. Jack looked away in reply, continuing to move himself and Lucas out the room. Martha sighed sadly, staring at the space where he’d just been. Tony was stood opposite, watching her curiously as thought.

“I’m not as stupid as I look you know,” He began, startling a silent Martha. “I was hoping that he’d be a bit more understanding.”

“I know, me too.” She sighed disappointedly, admitting to what Tony was suggesting. “But he does seem back to his usual self. It’s great to have him back.” Martha paused, looking to the door then back to Tony. “I missed him a lot.” She smiled. “I just hope we can be friends.”

Next Chapter - Can J&M be friends? And does Lucas have a bladder control problem?

^^ I know.

I wave the Eamon flag. *wiggles proudly*

Chapter 19

Tony, Martha, Matilda and Beth were sat on the sofa, equipped with drinks and biscuits as they filled each other in with gossip. Of course, today’s topic of discussion was Jack.

“They’ve been a right pair. Poor Luc, he’s not used to Jack’s teasing.” Tony laughed. Martha smiled, shaking her head as she took the mug away from her lips.

“I bet he’s just thankful Jack’s back.” She said. The others nodded in agreement.

“Yea, even when Jack’s blatantly taking the mick out of him he’s got a smile on his face. But when I do it…” Matilda trailed off. The room filled with laughter, until the presence of two siblings at the door were known.

“You’re talking about us, aren’t you?” Jack asked, walking in with Lucas. Lucas shook his head as he sat on the arm of the chair.

“Nope. Just you. You’re the gossip Jack. You’re the talk of the town!” Lucas exclaimed, wiping the bottom of his shirt. Jack sighed, walking towards the coffee table and stealing a biscuit or two from the jar.

“And what a great topic I am.” He gleamed, popping it in his mouth. “Don’t let me stop you.” He insisted with a full mouth. Tony laughed, shaking his head.

“Can you get anymore big headed?” He asked. Jack smiled, leaning against the back of the sofa.

“You’re just jealous…” He sighed.

“So what took you two so long in getting ready?” Beth spoke up. “Even Matilda took less time than you, and she had to decide what she was wearing! We all know how long that takes…” Beth joked. Tony and Lucas groaned in understanding, leading to an outraged Matilda.

“Oh my Go-” Matilda began to exclaim.

“Leave it Maddie. They obviously don’t understand what it is to have pride in your looks.” Martha interrupted with a smile, leaning over and putting her hand on Matilda’s knee. Matilda smiled at Martha, and then glanced back at the others. She leant back on the sofa with a grin. “So, what did take you guys so long?” Martha asked curiously. All eyes laid on Jack and Lucas. But Lucas was too busy to answer as he was still rubbing his top, in a world of his own. So it was for Jack to answer Martha’s question. Jack glanced away from her, clearing his throat.

“Lucas spent half an hour in the bathroom, probably pretending to shave.” Jack told Beth, as if she had asked the question. Martha sighed sadly, recognizing that Jack still hadn’t changed his mood.

“Ha ha, so funny…” Lucas grumbled, now growing angrier towards his top. He began to rub more furiously and violently, muttering words under his breath.

Tony, who had previously been laughing at Jack’s most recent joke, broke away from his laughter. “What are you doing?” He asked Lucas. Lucas sighed, giving up and straightening out his top, showing the huge, wet, and now creased mark on the lower part of his top.

“Jack got me with water.” He said sulkily, looking up at Jack and giving him a glare. Jack looked shocked and appalled at the accusation.

“No, you wet yourself.” He smiled, rubbing Lucas’ hair. The room filled with laughter. Lucas reluctantly joined in, moving Jack’s hand off his hair. Jack smiled at the situation, at the happiness that was around him. He loved life now, he was so happy. He gleamed from ear to ear, glancing around at his happy family. His eyes glanced up to Martha, who was also laughing. For a second he smiled with happiness and pride, thinking everything was perfect. ‘Perfect life, perfect family, perfect girlfr-’ Jack stopped. Stopped breathing, stopped thinking; stopped. He gazed at her sadly, watching as she continued with her giggle. He watched as she patted Tony on the arm, grabbing his attention. They began to talk, smiling to one another as they shared a humorous exchange of words. She looked so beautiful, so pretty and alive, even from the side angle. Her eyes glistened with love, and her mouth curved with happiness. She tilted her head to the side as she casually flicked a strand of hair from her face, clearing her view. Right now Jack envied his father. They looked so close, so happy. Jack knew that was possible for himself and Martha, if they were friends then they could get along and share old jokes and laughs; but he couldn’t. He couldn’t just be friends, he wanted more. He saw it like a chocolate bar; it’s impossible to just take one bite. He had to have it all, or nothing. He was afraid of what he’d do if he only had a bite.

“Jack,” Lucas coughed, nudging his daydreaming brother. “Jack, you’re staring and it’s weird.” He whispered. Jack looked down to Lucas, confused at what he was saying. He was still recovering from his thoughts; it took a while to register Lucas’ dialogue.

“Ooh…” Jack sighed, glancing back up at Martha who was still looking towards Tony. “Did she see?” Jack whispered back. Lucas shook his head, looking up at his brother.

“No - luckily for you. It was obvious.” Lucas told him, “What were you thinking?” Lucas asked, though he had a pretty clear idea of what Jack was indeed thinking. Jack stared at her once more, shaking his head gently.

“Nothing.” He sighed, not removing his gaze from Martha’s pretty face. “Nothing.” He lied again, moving back from the sofa and into the kitchen. Lucas sat, watching as Jack traipsed off into the kitchen, rubbing his forehead as he battled with his thoughts and feelings. Lucas gave out a sympathetic sigh, clicking onto Jack’s hidden truths. He still loved her.

“Why didn’t you say anything?” Lucas asked, entering the kitchen. Jack was stood leaning against the sink and looking out the back window. He didn’t respond. Lucas groaned, moving forward and touching Jack’s arm for attention. “Why didn’t you tell me? Or Dad?” Lucas asked again. Jack shook his head to the window, leaning it to his left shoulder.

“I don’t want to talk about it.” He told him quietly. “Cover for me, okay?” He asked, maintaining his direction towards the west of the house. Lucas looked confused as he leant against the worktop.

“What, when?” Lucas peered further over the worktop surface, trying to determine what was going off in Jack’s head. But by the time he’d got in front of Jack’s face, Jack had bounced from the worktop, sending him through to the lounge. Lucas followed curiously and quickly.

“I’m going out to meet some friends.” Jack told his Dad as he walked through the lounge, making his way to the door. Martha lifted her head up immediately, her eyebrows moving with curiosity.

“Who?” She asked quickly.

“Kim, Robbie... They want to catch up with me.” Jack told them, placing his hand on the door handle. “Sorry, I won’t be back for lunch.” He apologized towards Beth as he pushed down the lever. Tony lifted his hand up, signalling for Jack to stop.

“Whoa! Wait a second – when did they tell you they want to catch up with you? You don’t have a phone, and you’ve only been back a day.” Tony asked inquisitively. Jack sighed, swinging the door open.

“They text Luc’s mobile.” He told him, flicking a look up to Lucas. Lucas stood by the sofa, confused at why Jack was lying. No one had text him, what did Jack mean? Suddenly, with encouragement from a glare from Jack, the past conversation flew back to mind. ‘Cover him.’ He thought to himself, nodding gently with a smirk.

“Yea. Not too long ago actually. They said they were at Noah’s and heard about it from Beth. They didn’t want to come over and disturb any family huddle we may be having so they decided that they’d offer him a drink instead.” Lucas explained, jotting his eyes back up to Jack as he finished, checking if he had done well. Jack gave Lucas a small grin and a gentle nod of the head, showing his appreciation and pride.

“Can I go now, father?” Jack smiled. Tony looked back at Martha, then Jack, unsure if there was a link.

“Yea.. see ya mate.” He finished quietly, still intrigued by his last query. Jack waved off, smiling to the room.

“Bye.” He called as he walked through the threshold. As he passed the window he couldn’t help but give one final glance. There she was, sat on the chair with a fading smile on her face. She looked at Jack, watching as he reluctantly held their gaze. Her eyes questioned him, wondering why he was doing this, why he was making it so hard. In reply Jack shook his head gently, tearing his eyes away from hers and returning them to the floor, walking off and out of the property.

Next Chapter - Martha and Jack talk. Is the outcome good? Why is Peter suspicious? Jack gets an unwelcomed visitor.

Chapter 20.

Jack sat silent, listening to the roaring of the waves near by. Looking down at the sand a few meters away, he could watch the grains of sand soak the last wave. Not that it interested him. His gaze may have been in that direction but his thoughts were not. They were concerning Martha once again. If he was not teasing and having a laugh with Lucas and Tony, then he was thinking of Martha. He knew which he preferred. Unfortunately he had no choice in the matter, as the rules had been made and laid out during his absence; he just had to fit in with them.

But that was the problem, he couldn’t. His old perfect life had been remodelled, and he didn’t like it. He’d longed for that old position for 18 months, everyday dreaming of his old perfect life. That was his goal, to be Jack Holden just one more time. He didn’t care what would happen after that, he just wanted that happiness once more. He had wanted to feel the warmth, he wanted to share the laughs, and he wanted to enjoy the happiness. That’s what had been in his mind as he escaped the house that he’d been held in. As he ran and ran through woodland and lonely roads. That perfect life. That Jack Holden position, waiting to be refilled. But it needn’t be refilled, it had already been replaced. Buried, covered and exchanged for a newer model. Jack Holden didn’t exist in the life of Summer Bay anymore; he was an outcast to his old memories. He wasn’t home.

“I thought you’d be here.” A voice said from behind, disturbing Jack’s thoughts. “I thought, ‘where would I go after 18 months?’ Good choice Jack.” She complimented, walking closer towards him. Jack didn’t need to look behind him, he knew who it was. He closed his eyes gently, breathing in deeply as he tried to hide his hurt. When he opened them he continued to stare out, watching the birds in the horizon. “It looks nice, doesn’t it?” She asked, sitting down beside him. “I love it here. I can sit here by myself for hours, just admiring the beauty.” She sighed with a smile, looking around the view in front. Jack looked away and stood up, wiping his hands over his shorts as he brushed off excess sand.

“Okay, enjoy.” He exclaimed, turning around and walking up the beach. Martha sighed, rolling her eyes as she stood up.

“You’re making this so hard!” She cried after him, shaking her head. “Please, just talk about this! Stop ignoring the conversation.” She exclaimed. Jack turned around, looking out to sea.

“Why not? What’s the point in the conversation? We’re only going to talk about how you forgot me and moved on, how you just acted as if I never existed. You’ll only talk about your beloved Eamon.” Jack snapped. “I don’t know about you, but I don’t really want to have that conversation.” He finished, turning back around. Martha’s heart sunk, watching him traipse up the beach.

“It wasn’t like that Jack! I never forgot about us. I never forgot about you!” She exclaimed, standing stiff as she prayed for him to turn around. “I need you to talk to me, I need you to understand. I can’t lose you as a friend too.” She told him, choked on her own tears. Jack stopped, sensing the emotion in her voice. He turned around slowly, half lifting his head.

“You’ll get over it, you always do.” He said coldly, finally making his way up the beach and away. Martha stood, tears filling her eyes. Angrily she kicked up some sand, turning around and falling onto the sand, a tear of frustration rolling down her cheek.

“So let me get this straight, it’s your second day back and you’ve come for a job?” Lara asked, dropping her pen on the desk. “You’re barmy.” Jack laughed, shaking his head.

“I may aswell. This is where all the fun happens.” He told her. Lara sighed, a smile creeping on her mouth.

“I’m sure McGrath would love to have you back.” She said. “I’ll tell him when he gets back and let you know as soon as I have more information.” She told him with a nod. Jack smiled, walking back from the desk.

“Thanks.” He grinned. “I’ll see you around.” He called out as he walked out the door. Lara smiled to herself, making a note on the spare paper at the desk. Not that she needed to of course, she knew she’d remember. She’d been hoping that he would come back for a job, but wasn’t too sure if Jack would. She knew he’d get the job, she knew that McGrath would love to have him back. He was a great cop and deserved to his place in the force.

“Jack?” Peter called, rushing out his office. “Awww, I’ve missed him.” He groaned, slamming papers on the desk. Lara looked down at the files, then up at Peter.

“Yea, he just left. Why?” She asked curiously. Peter shook his head, looking down in anger at the floor.

“Nothing. Just something I wanted to follow up. Why was he here anyway?” He asked towards the floor. A smile crept back on Lara’s face; she picked up the biro off the desk and began to play with it.

“He’s come to get his old job back.” She told him excitedly. Peter lifted his head up, intrigued.

“Really? Isn’t that a bit soon? I mean the guy has just been in a big ordeal, thanks to the police force, and now he wants to get back into it?” Peter questioned. Lara shrugged her shoulders.

“I know, it does seem funny... but I’m just happy he’s coming back.” She giggled to herself. Peter nodded slowly, thoughts registering in his mind.

“Okay, well, I guess it’s better if he’s here. So we can keep an eye on him.” He muttered under his breath as he moved from the desk. Lara reached out for his hand, holding it to stop him.

“What? Why would you want to watch him?” Lara asked. Peter flicked his eyes up, playing with the idea of consulting Lara. ‘No, not now.’ He thought to himself, his eyes sinking as he shook his head.

“It’s not important now. Just keep it to yourself Constable.” Peter instructed, backing away and into his office. Lara stood bemused, in a trance at Peter’s closed door.

“Men…” She tutted, trying to shrug her suspicions off.

Jack sat down on the sofa, accompanied with Lucas and Tony beside him. They were all watching the footy game on TV, laughing and joking at smart comments Lucas and Jack would think to fire at each other. Generally having a fun time. Jack’s mind had started to ease away from the Martha topic, which was good as on top of the pain he had been feeling guilt. He knew he shouldn’t have snapped at her and he knew it wasn’t her fault; he just couldn’t talk about it. He wouldn’t talk about it.

Two knocks came from the closed door, breaking Tony’s story. Jack looked towards his watch.

“Wow, its 4 o’clock already.” Jack exclaimed, standing up. “I’ll get the door.” He offered, walking over to the west of the house. Opening the door Jack had predicted it to be an old friend, or maybe even Colleen. But no, it was neither of them. It was Eamon.

“Um… Hi.” Jack stuttered, unsure what to say. He put his hand on the back of his neck, awkwardly rubbing it as he looked back at his Dad and Lucas who had now sat up straight.

“Hey Jack.” Eamon smiled friendlily. Jack stared back, forcing his lips to return the affection.

“Um, you want to come in? Talk to Dad or Lucas? Beth’s out at the moment, she has a shift at Noah’s.” Jack informed him. Eamon shook his head.

“Actually, it was you I wanted to see.” He told him, “Could we go somewhere private?” He asked, briefly looking towards Tony and Lucas. Jack nodded, indicating to enter and leading him through to the back of the house and out to the back garden.

Next Chapter - What does Eamon want to say? Jack finally lets out his anger, but who's in the way? Can Jack learn to deal with his new life, or will he continue to avoid Martha? (He actually gives an answer this time! :o)

Archived