Returning Emotions

Guest Nicom

Guess what!?!

Nicole's updating. :P

I feel bad though, now you're all hyped up and waiting for a chapter... and it's just all talk. No J&M either. Lol. My apologies. But hopefully as I am now broken up for half-term break, I'll be able to update much more regularly. I have no promises for when I get back to school though.. :(

Anyhoo, here's ze next chapter. If I were you I'd read the last paragraph of the last chapter just so you understand. I know I'd have forgotten by now. (I actually have! :P)

You'll need to remember that..

• Peter can't prove his theory that Henry is still alive, so can't make any moves to protect either Jack or Martha
  • Martha doesn't know about Henry still being alive
  • Peter told Rachel that Martha was in trouble
  • Jack just received a letter from Henry, and is going into the house
  • He has told no one about his 'freaking out-ness'

The long awaited Chapter 41

Jack closed the door behind him, still in a deep trance from the red letter that was being gripped in his right hand. He couldn’t stop thinking; though his thoughts made no sense. He didn’t know what to do.

He reached for the light switch, sighing as he pressed against it. The room lit with a click and fresh light shone from the bulb, creating a shadow of the person in front. Jack jumped back.

“Jesus! You scared me!” He gasped, the hand with the now screwed up letter flew to his chest as he caught his breath. “I thought you were…” He trailed off as he breathed heavily.

“Henry?” Rachel asked.

Jack looked up at her, his mouth ajar and on a tilt; how did she know? Rachel, who stood with a hand on her hip, shook her head with disgrace.

“H..how do you know?” He stuttered, clearing his throat and avoiding eye contact as he stood straight.

“Peter.”

He rolled his eyes and shook his head to the floor.

Rachel snapped with anger. “Don’t roll your eyes and act like Peter’s done something wrong. You’re the one who’s done the wrong thing. You’re the one who’s putting Martha in danger!” She growled.

Jack sighed, pulling his jacket off by the sleeves and throwing it on the sofa as he brushed past her. “I don’t need to hear this.”

She laughed, spinning around and watching him approach the kitchen bench. “Oh believe me Jack; you do. Maybe you’ll listen when Martha’s shouting it, or maybe you’ll wait until she’s hurt?!” Rachel yelled.

“She won’t get hurt.” He told her through tight lips as he walked to the fridge.

“Oh and I suppose a man who’s scared of his own shadow is going to help!?” She asked sarcastically.

“I’m not scared of my own shadow,” he denied quietly as he opened the fridge and looked inside, still refusing to shout back.

“Then what’s with the nightmares, or the fact that you can’t sleep with the light off?” She asked. She was fuming. She was so angry that not only had Jack not told anyone about his situation, but he’d lied directly to Peter about it too; and in effect put Martha in danger. On top of all this, he was acting like a right jerk. Her patience and polite nature had worn off with him the instant she’d heard about Martha’s position.

“You might think you’re being strong Jack, but you’re far from it. You’re a coward, and you’re putting Martha’s life on the line.” She told him sternly, “You’re a selfish jerk.”

Jack slammed the fridge door, sending the large box shaking with chiming bottles playing inside. He turned to her, fixating his bulging eyes on hers.

“I’m selfish for wanting a life? For wanting to move on?! You have no idea, no bloody idea what I’ve been through! So don’t you dare judge me on what I’m doing now; you have no right!” He yelled.

Rachel took a gentle step forward, cautiously making her way closer to him. “Then tell me. What have you been through?” She asked softly.

Jack ran his tongue around his mouth, realising that it was time to open up the truth. He wasn’t going to get out of it, Rachel knew it all. All that was left was to give her his side, and it couldn’t really hurt now.

“Hell.” He answered simply, leaning on the bench. “That’s the only word I can use to describe it.” He said, putting his head forward to touch the wooden bench.

Rachel sat opposite him on a stool, ready to listen. “What did he do?”

Jack lifted his heavy head up straight and looked at her. He opened his mouth again, but the words only choked his throat. He looked away briefly as tears began to sting his eyes, before returning back to Rachel’s eye line.

“I can’t.”

Rachel looked at him sympathetically, nodding her head gently and biting her lip.

“Can you show me?”

Jack thought it over, fighting with his brain. Rachel wanted to help, and it was time to let someone in.

He began to roll his sleeve up, unveiling a pattern of scars and fading bruises. The artwork on his arms looked sore, and so did the pink, peeling flesh that Jack showed her on his right shoulder.

He hung his head, unable to look at her. He didn’t want to know what she thought of him; what little she thought of him. He felt like a weak, pathetic coward. A joke. He couldn’t bear the humiliation.

Rachel sighed, looking at the damage done. “I had no idea…” She began, turning to look at his face. Her sentence stopped and she began to show a look of confusion. His arms told a heroic story, one of pain and clearly torture; but his face looked so ashamed, so embarrassed. She couldn’t understand. Jack began to roll his sleeves back down and cover up, letting the pink in his cheeks fade and the thorn in his throat pass.

“Jack; you’ve been so brave.” She told him.

Jack rolled his eyes, looking down to his left, empty hand. “No, I haven’t. Henry’s the criminal and I’m the cop; but who took care of whom? He did me. He dealt with me and he was in control; and I just sat their like a weak, stress ball.” He spat out in disgust.

“No, no Jack. That’s not fair; you couldn’t do anything, you know that! Henry was too powerful.” She told him.

Jack shook his head. “Not at the end he wasn’t. Not when I could have done something about it. I had the opportunity to go after him, to follow him and win. The opportunity was there to take, I was finally in control; but I ran away.” He swallowed hard, closing his eyes as a tear threatened to escape. “I could have gone after him; I had known where he was. He was going to the airport, to go back to Ireland. The stupid idiot left me alone, thinking that I was just going to rot in the damn warehouse; but I escaped. I escaped, and I could have followed him and killed him myself.” Jack explained, stopping suddenly and looking down in guilt, “But I didn’t. I ran. I ran like a coward. "

Jack stared at the red blur in his right hand, subconsciously gripping tighter and tighter around the throat of the letter.

Rachel watched on, putting her hand on top of his and soothing his rigid fist with a thumb stroke. “Is that what happened then? He left you to die, and you escaped and came back here?” She asked.

Jack nodded silently.

“That doesn’t make you a coward, Jack. Not at all. You wanted to come home to your friends and family. That makes you human.” She assured him. “If you told others then they’d only respect you for it. You didn’t go with a hot head and run into danger with the idea of revenge; you came back home. Just because you weren’t an idiot, doesn’t mean you weren’t a hero. I know Lucas thinks you’re a hero, and both Tony and Martha think you’re incredible. So does everyone else.” She told him.

Jack sighed, rubbing his head with a groan. “They won’t. Not when Henry comes back.” Jack opened his hand, letting the screwed up ball of red paper fall onto the table. “Read it.”

Rachel looked at him curiously, before doing as she was told. She unfolded the note and widened her eyes in horror.

“Is it?”

“Yes, it’s from him. Just like he used to give me before.” He told her. “He knows I’m alive, and he’s going to come back.”

Rachel bit her lip, shaking her head. “Oh Jack, you need to tell Peter! If you go in Witness Protection, then you can get out of this mess. The police will catch him and then you can come home to a normal life! You won’t need to be frightened anymore, or hide any secrets.” She told him passionately, sitting upright and gripping onto his hand again.

Jack shook his head. “If I tell Peter, it’ll be the end of my career and he’ll force me into Witness Protection. It’ll take the force years to catch Henry, if they do; he’s just too clever. I’ll be stuck in Witness Protection for years; maybe for the rest of my life.” He told her.

“But isn’t that better than being dead? At least there’ll always be the chance that you can come back.” She argued.

Jack sighed, “I’d rather be dead than leave everyone. Living without Lucas, Tony and Martha was the worst torture. I can’t do it again.”

Rachel frowned, looking to him. “But what about Martha? If you don’t go in Witness Protection now you’ve told me, then Peter’s going to have to tell Martha and send her in Witness Protection instead.” She told him.

Jack shook his head vigorously, “You can’t tell him! Please, don’t tell him.” He pleaded. “Martha will hate me.”

“I have to say something, she’s my best friend and I don’t want her getting hurt…”

“I won’t let that happen, Rachel. Trust me; I’d die before he gets to her. I gave myself up for her last time; I’ll do it again if I have to.” He exclaimed.

Rachel tilted her head, looking at him through a curious angle. “You still like her, don’t you?” She asked.

Jack sighed, “I love her, Rach. I can’t live without her, not again. If you tell Peter, then I’ll have to go through it all again.” He looked away. “I know you don’t understand, but I do feel like a coward for running which is why I want to stay. I don’t want to run anymore; I want to wait for him. I want this thing to end, and it’s going to be a fair fight when it does. I have to do this.”

Rachel nodded solemnly in understanding; she did get it, she did appreciate what he was saying, and feeling. She needn’t have asked if he still loved Martha, as it was obvious in his eyes. His fiery passion about protecting her gave away his selfish motives; but that’s what made it more promising. He could love her even though she was getting married to another man, and he was willing to give his life up for her. He was genuine, and you could hear that in his voice as he spoke. Although Rachel knew she shouldn’t, she was confident that Jack meant what he said, and that he wouldn’t allow Martha to be hurt. She had faith in him.

She stood up and moved slowly around the bench, putting the letter down in the process.

“You get any more of those, or you need someone to speak to then come to me.” She instructed, “You notice anything shifty, and think Martha could be in any immediate danger; you promise you’ll tell the police.” She bargained.

Jack nodded, “Of course, I promise.”

Rachel sighed, standing a pace in front of him. “If Martha gets hurt; then you’re dead meat. If I detect even a hint of Henry around her, then I’m going to Peter. Understand?”

Jack felt a smile of appreciation growing on his lips, overjoyed by the direction the conversation was going.

Rachel raised her finger, “You watch over her Jack, you make sure she’s alright.” She told him finally, “I can’t believe I’m doing this, but – okay, I won’t tell Peter.” She said finally, shaking her head at herself.

A grin leapt from Jack’s mouth as he launched forward to her, hugging her tightly.

“Thank you, thank you so much.” He laughed from relief.

Rachel smiled to herself as she tried to breathe through the crushing. She was sure he was lifting her from the ground 2 or 3 inches.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look at me! I'm updating, and no one had to tell me to, or remind me, or anything! :D

And, there's J&M. :)

Oh, and some Eamon for Sian. Unfortunately, he doesn't giggle. :(

And thanks to Jade for proofing! :D

Chapter 42

Martha sighed as she sat on the edge of the bed, inhaling the sickly sweet fragrance of the flowers on the table before her. They’d arrived at the hotel about 10 minutes ago and Eamon and Richard had had to sort out some plans with the managers straight away, leaving Martha to unpack their things. After she had taken a few of their possessions out from the bag and laid them in the lonely draws, she had retired to sit on the bed; an ideal thinking spot. Her hands were itching and the bottom of her stomach felt as if it were pleading with her brain. She knew what it wanted; but not why. The mobile that sat on the table in front began to grow desperate for her attention, and her eyes couldn’t help but look at it. She wanted to call him, she didn’t know why, but she wanted to call Jack.

She wished that he’d have come; right now she couldn’t think of anyone else she’d rather spend time with. She wanted to talk to him, spend time with him; worst of all she wanted to be held by him. Why, she didn’t know. She just couldn’t help her brain from thinking she’d be much happier if he were there.

She shook her head and reached forward, hastily snatching the device from the table and plunging it into her jacket pocket. She stood up and walked to the door, grabbing the change she’d previously spread on the bed, and left for a walk.

Martha walked past the large clock in reception, reading eleven, and headed to the out door pool. She strolled around with her hands in her pockets, looking around at the holiday-makers splashing around and sunbathing. Then, her eyes were caught by a shelter at the far right of the pool area – the bar. As if her feet had a mind of their own, they took off towards the seating area; not that Martha minded.

After she had ordered and accepted her beer, she took the mobile that had been burning a hole in her mind out of her pocket. She placed it on the bar surface with a thud and stared at it.

“What would you say?” She asked herself as she tapped the wooden bar surface repeatedly. “It’s a bit weird, ringing your ex-boyfriend when you’re out on a weekend with your fiancé. He’ll think something’s up.” She sighed, using her other elbow to rest on the bar and support her leaning head, “he’ll know something’s up.” She corrected herself.

Martha closed her eyes gently, taking another half-sip of beer and gently wiping her wet lips with the back of her hand. She inhaled deeply as she tried to take her mind off Jack. She didn’t know why she wanted to speak to him so badly; but she did.

“Oh, stuff it…” She muttered, flashing her eyes back open and stealing her mobile from the bar. She quickly scrolled for the number and held it against her ear, listening to the ringing.

“Man, I feel Like a Woman.”

Martha heard sniggering following the ring tone that had just blasted from behind her and she herself couldn’t manage to hold in the few giggles from her throat. The man that she could now see from the corner of her eye was fumbling around in his pockets in sheer humiliation, trying to turn off the embarrassing tone.

“Bloody Lucas thinks he’s so bloody funny… Wait till I get my hands round his scrawny little neck..” He murmured angrily as he dug around in his pockets.

Martha slowly turned around to the man, intrigue spread all over her face. She watched the man with his head down, dropping his bags and eventually finding his mobile phone. He brought it out and looked at the caller ID, then up at Martha with a grin.

“You rang?” Jack smirked.

“What the hell are you doing here!?” She asked angrily.

Jack strolled over to the bar, sitting upon a stool and dropping his bag beside him. He took out a hotel brochure from his jacket pocket and began to read aloud.

“I’m ‘basking in the beautiful scenery’ and ‘indulging in the fine selection of wines and spirits that Hartingwood Hotel has to offer.’ What about you?” He said smartly.

Martha reached over and snatched the brochure from his hand; swatting him on the arm with it and throwing it back down onto the bar.

“I’m trying to have a nice time without you. It was going great before you showed up.” She spat out.

He leant forward. “If you didn’t want anything to do with me this weekend, then why did you ring me?” He asked with a smirk.

Martha hesitated, her head rocking slightly backwards and forwards as she tried to submit a reason. But of course, nothing came out.

“Because you want me.” He concluded with a grin.

“Get over yourself.” She scoffed, rolling her eyes as she looked away.

Jack smiled. “You didn’t deny it.” He laughed, picking up the brochure and waving it in front of Martha’s face, “you didn’t deny that you want me…” He sang. “Martha wants me, Martha wants me-”

At that point Jack noticed the man standing behind Martha, his hands on her shoulders as he glared at the childish Jack. The man being Eamon.

“…to leave. Martha wants me to leave, and I’ll respect her wishes. I’ll be in my room.” With that, Jack stood up and took a nod, then left the bar area with a skip. He didn’t want to cause Martha and Eamon any problems, but it gave him a spring in his step now he thought he had. He thought best not to interfere though, so leaving them for now would be a good idea. Besides, he was going to have plenty of time watching over Martha tonight; just as Rachel had encouraged him to do.

“He was being Jack!” Martha exclaimed, walking into the apartment. “He’s got the biggest ego in the world; you’ll just have to learn to ignore it.” She told Eamon.

Eamon sighed, “It’s not me who has the problem.” With that, Richard came into the room, slamming the door behind him.

“Richard!” Martha cheered with a sarcastic grin. “For what do we owe the pleasure?”

Richard glared at her. “Why the hell is he here?”

Martha pointed at Eamon questioningly, and then looked back to Richard. “He likes to tag along. Being my fiancé and all…”

“You know who I’m on about Martha. Jack. Why did you invite him along? Can you not last a couple of days without him now?”

Martha shrugged, “I don’t know why he’s here - I didn’t invite him.”

Richard scoffed. “I suppose he invited himself then?”

She glowered at him, shaking her head in disgust. “Think I’m a liar; I don’t care!” She brushed past him, storming out and crashing the door shut behind her.

Eamon scolded Richard with a look, sighing heavily before turning around to the window.

Bang bang bang bang…

Martha knocked on the door furiously, constantly thudding against the wood in a simple pattern. She wasn’t going to stop until she was answered.

The door swung open in front of her, revealing a confused face.

“What the hell?” Jack asked her, looking to the door then back at her. It was then when he noticed her wrinkled face and glowing eyes. “Ooh, you’re angry.”

Martha grazed past him as she thundered into his apartment. Sensing that he was in trouble, Jack shut the door quickly and hurried towards her.

“I bet you think I did this on purpose to annoy you – but I didn’t. It was just a coincidence that I booked myself into the same hotel that you had. The name must have just stuck in my head when I was booking it…” He began explain.

Martha held her hand up, signalling him to stop. “I know you did it on purpose to annoy me, Jack. I don’t doubt that for a second. But don’t worry, you’re not in trouble.”

He gave a sigh of relief before his face filled with bemusement. “If I’m not in trouble, then why are you so angry?” He asked.

Martha fell onto his bed, looking up at him. “Richard and Eamon had a go at me. More Richard, actually.” She began, “He has no right, but Eamon just lets him. He’s allowed to yell at me but when I do it back I get in trouble. I know Eamon’s going to have a word later with me. It’s so damn unfair…” She ranted.

Jack frowned, “Well, that’s not right. Eamon should be having words with Richard, not you.” He sighed, sitting on the bed next to Martha. “Why was he telling you off anyway?”

She paused, looking down at her hands. “It’s not important. I don’t want to talk about it.” She told him. “And anyway, you shouldn’t be asking questions. You’re in trouble yourself.”

“I thought I wasn’t in trouble.” Jack exclaimed.

“It’s alright, I forgive you.” Martha smiled, falling back and laying down on his bed. “I need someone to talk to anyway.”

Jack laughed, mirroring her movements, laying beside her. “So you’re using me?”

Martha giggled, “Damn right.” She smiled, looking across at him.

Her look made him warm, and her smiling lips gave him a happy grin. It was moments like this that he was almost happy he had to look after her, keep her away from Henry’s grasp. That’s why he had come, under Rachel’s instructions to watch over Martha. She didn’t have to tell him twice though, as he not only wanted to make sure she was alright, but he was dying to see her also.

Sian's going to love the end of this. Just like I do. :wub: The end is what inspired me to write the fic. That is why this fic actually exists. I'll explain more at the bottom.. :P

Chapter 43

Although Martha wanted to spend time with Jack, she had moved away the following hour and gone to meet Eamon and Richard downstairs. She knew staying with Jack would only create more problems between the three of them, so it wouldn’t have been wise to stick with him the whole afternoon. So instead, she followed them into the performance room and sat down on one of the chairs, watching them rehearse. She hadn’t spoken to them much, no apologies or agreements had been made between the two parties. They were probably going to come later.

She’d been sat there for about an hour and a half, and she was beginning to grow thirsty and bored.

“I’m going to the bar to get a drink. I’ll be back in about 20 minutes.” She told no-one in particular, standing up and walking towards the door.

“An orange juice please,” Martha requested from the bar with a polite smile. She sat down upon one of the stools and spun around, facing the seating area as she watched people chatting. Her eyes were drawn to just outside the bar area to a couple of deck chairs, a man and a woman laughing innocently with one another. Martha looked deeper into the couple, the man in particular. The back of his head looked so familiar, his body shape and t-shirt; they belonged to Jack.

She was almost horrified to watch on as the pretty blonde flirted shamelessly, putting her hand on his knee and thrusting a high-pitched giggle through her slender throat. What was more worrying was that Jack actually seemed to be enjoying it, as he had not demanded her to remove her skinny hand. He had laughed along, almost encouraging her behaviour. It was sick.

Martha watched on, her stomach turning as the woman gave him yet another pathetic giggle and a seductive eyelash flatter. Martha was in two minds to do something with those damn eyelashes…

But her thoughts of violence stopped as something happened in front, something simple but so relieving that made Martha want to shout with joy. Jack was standing up. Unfortunately, he proceeded to take his and the woman’s empty glass, who was grinning at him yet again a little too eagerly. He was buying her a drink.

It was not until Jack had reached the seating area with the two empty glasses that Martha realised he would be coming closer to her and the bar. She quickly grabbed her purse from the side and spun around, starting to head out of the bar area to avoid him. She’d managed to get near the door before she was shouted back.

“Excuse me? Your drink?” The barman called out, a little annoyed. Jack was also now looking towards Martha, with a smile on his face.

“She’d forget her head if it wasn’t screwed on,” He joked with the barman as he took out his wallet, “I’ll pay for her, and could I also have a large water and a Bacardi and coke please.” He said as he gave the money to the barman.

Martha slowly walked back, a little embarrassed at her latest mistake, but angry too at the cheek of Jack. He’d been over there with that woman, and now he was acting all friendly with her. What was the deal with him?

“I can buy my own drink,” she told him.

Jack laughed, “I was only being a gentleman.”

“Well, I don’t need you to be a gentleman; I have Eamon for that.” She informed him in a snotty manner.

He nodded, “So where is this Eamon?”

“He’s with Richard at the minute. I got a bit thirsty so I thought I’d nip in for a drink. I don’t want to be too long though; can’t keep him waiting.”

What was she doing? She knew exactly what she was doing; she was trying to make Jack jealous, because of that stupid blonde bimbo she’d seen him with. Why was she so affected by it?

Jack looked away awkwardly, giving a brief smile before he cleared his throat.

“That’s great.”

“Yea, he is…” Martha sighed dreamily.

Jack looked up at the bar man, noting his presence and accepting the two drinks with a smile. He nodded with thanks, then turned to face Martha to say goodbye. It was then when he noticed her glaring towards his new female friend, with a look of disgust plastered on her face. She then moved her eyes to the Bacardi and coke.

“Well, I best leave you to her.” She said as she grabbed her drink and purse off the table.

“How did you know I was buying a drink for her?” He asked curiously.

“Well, you’re buying a Bacardi and coke – it’s obvious. I only had to look for the tramp with her legs out. And oh, that’s her!” Martha spat.

Jack laughed, “She’s not a tramp, and you can’t get that from a drink.”

“I just did, didn’t I?” She snapped, “Anyway, time is being wasted, go back to tramp-girl. I bet she’s dying to feel your leg again and laugh at your bad jokes.” With that she left briskly, leaving the double doors swinging behind her and a confused Jack, with a wry smile on his face. He loved it when she acted crazy.

Jack unlocked the door to his apartment and strolled in, closing the door behind him and throwing his sunglasses and mobile onto the bed, following them head first. He closed his eyes and crawled up to the top of his bed, laying down on the cool sheets belly down. He gave out a loud sigh as he tried to relax. He was still thinking about Martha, he had been since she stormed out earlier. What was up with her? To Jack, she seemed a bit jealous.

Jack laughed at the thought, he knew that she’d kill him if he suggested the idea. Though it was an intriguing one, as it meant that Martha would have feelings for him, feelings that she denied before. Jack groaned to himself as he sunk further deeper into the pillow, trying to ignore his stupid ideas. He was getting himself excited and hopeful, even though he knew that nothing would happen. She was with Eamon now, and she sounded like she was having a lot of fun with him earlier.

He rolled over in frustration, angry at himself for even thinking such things. It made his blood boil and his skin shudder at the thought of Eamon touching her, let alone pleasuring her. It was enough to drive him insane.

He sat up sharply and reached down to his bag, pulling it up onto the bed with him. He rummaged around and took out the bottle of vodka, holding it up as he admired it.

“I knew this would come in handy,” he said to himself. He began push the bag back off the bed, but something caught his eye. Something red poking out the pocket of his bag.

In a moment of denial, he took it out and opened the envelope hoping that it was something else. Unfortunately, it was what he feared. Another note from Henry.

Jack closed his eyes for a brief moment and inhaled deeply, trying to calm his shakey hands. Surprisingly, it was easier than last time. The pain in his stomach and the trembles in his muscles were faint, and he very much had control of his thoughts. He could only think it was because someone knew and was on his side. It gave him a confidence that he hadn’t thought would make any difference.

He opened took the white paper out and unfolded it, revealing a note.

“Awww, nobody loves Jacky.”

So he knew where he was, and he knew about Martha. He was close; too close. He knew that he should be thinking of himself, thinking of ways to protect himself; but he wasn’t. He was thinking of Martha, of what she was doing right now. He had to find her, though he knew she wouldn’t like it.

The ceiling was black and shadowed the tall walls, which held refreshing spirits of light every so often from carefully placed wall lamps. The delicate table clothes covered each small round table, and were weighed down with a beautiful flower in the centre. Small chatter began to rise as it competed against the soft music, and the odd cheer from a merry table sang over the violin solo. Wine was being sipped, and beer was being served. The performance hall in Hartingwood Hotel was open in all its glory.

Martha walked in, slowly weaving in and out of the tables in her knee length, brown dress which fluttered around her thighs as she swayed backwards and forwards. The loose curls that draped down her neck and sat on her shoulders mirrored this action, occasionally bouncing gently to the step of her stiletto heels. She looked past the gentleman stood ahead and spotted a table for two at the front. She eagerly slipped by him and gracefully hurried to the desired seating. As she got closer she admired its beauty and elegance, but noted its loneliness. Her loneliness.

She sat down and put her purse neatly on the table. She looked around, watching with a smile at the couples and families enjoying themselves on the dance floor. Then she looked back to the stage, and thought of the two bodies backstage. Her future.

Was this what it was always going to be like? Her on the outside, watching in on their bliss and happiness? Was she always going to be alone, left to admire everyone else’s perfect lives?

She picked up the complimentary glass of wine from the table and chucked it down as she felt tears of doubt starting to flood her eyes. She couldn’t do this; not now. She couldn’t go through the negatives, the bad points; the truths. Not when she was so close to completing it all. Her marriage was only a month away.

Out of the corner of her eye she could see a man stood beside her. Quickly and casually, she dabbed her eyes with the back of her hand, and looked up at the figure.

“May I join you?” Jack grinned, pulling up the chair on the other side of the small table and sitting down.

Martha smiled sadly, grateful of his presence. Thoughts of the blonde bimbo were blocked and she was simply happy he was here. He always seemed to cheer her up. “It looks like you already have.” She said as she glanced up at the lights dimming, and noticed the music starting.

Lights shone on the stage and two familiar men popped out, bringing out various pieces of equipment on wheels. They stood in the centre of the stage and bowed, walking and speaking to the rhythm of the music.

Martha glanced back at Jack, whose grin was beginning to beam ear from ear. He tore his eyes from Eamon and Richard on the stage to look at Martha. He needed no words; Martha knew what he was thinking.

“Yes, Eamon and Richard are the new magician acts at the hotel.” She told him with a roll of the eyes, gently chuckling as Jack watched on in awe. She knew that she had to get the most out of his silence; soon Jack would be mocking them.

Yes the ending was inspired by my holiday to Portugal last summer. I was incredibly bored, and sat watching the cheesiest magician in the world. I spent the majority of the time laughing on the inside, and making fun of him to my sister. I didn't stop and watch the whole show, I couldn't physically do it. I had to leave. Next chapter hopefully you'll understand how I felt... :P

Chapter 44

The crowd cheered and clapped, bravo-ing the latest trick that had been performed. Jack, on the other hand, was crying with laughter.

“That… is… brilliant.” He exclaimed through his laughs. “I didn’t know he was your magic boy! I never would have guessed.”

Martha rolled her eyes, trying not to pay attention.

“He’s a little dare devil. Sawing people in half… I bet that’s what attracted you to him, isn’t it? And the fact that he has a never ending supply of handkerchiefs.”

“You’re so funny.” She said sarcastically, fighting off a smirk.

Jack shook his head, pointing up to Eamon, “Not nearly as funny as him.”

Martha sighed, “Well I think he’s quite good.”

He looked at her with a grin, and then faced back towards Eamon and Richard, playing with some rope. Jack didn’t know exactly what they were doing; he was just looking and laughing. He never would have dreamt that Eamon and Richard were a magic duo.

“Is a magician a good catch?” He asked her playfully.

“Shut up.” She scolded as she slapped his arm softly, “You better not say anything evil to him. He loves his job.” She told him, starting Jack laughing again.

“Well, whatever floats your boat I guess.” He grinned up to the stage, watching as Eamon began to speak.

“For the next deadly task, I’m going to need a brave volunteer to switch places with my coward of an assistant.” He told the audience in a jokey voice; again, sending ripples of laughter through Jack’s body.

Richard hopped off the stage, swanning over to Martha and Jack’s table. With a devious grin he reached out for Martha’s hand and held it up to make her stand.

Martha stopped laughing. “What are you doing?” She whispered to Richard.

Richard looked down to Jack, then back at her with a grin. “I think we have my replacement. Please miss, come this way.” He exclaimed loudly to both the audience and Eamon, and led her up to the stage.

She was practically pushed up the stairs and escorted to the centre of the stage, where Eamon took her hand.

“Eamon, I don’t want to do this...” She whispered angrily.

Eamon however ignored her objection and proceeded, speaking into the microphone to give her the instructions she’d heard many times before.

Jack watched on with a smirk, holding in his laughter as he tried to be serious. It was when Richard sat next to him and took Martha’s seat that Jack truly calmed down. He could feel Richard’s glare burning on him, and a certain vibe that read he wasn’t happy. Jack turned around stiffly and presented a smile.

“Great show.” He forced out.

Richard chuckled, ignoring his obvious lie. “Look at them love puppies up there, just like they were when they first met. Except things ended a little differently that night; if you get what I mean.” He gave Jack a wink.

Jack looked away uncomfortably, not wanting to think about it. Unfortunately, his eyes now couldn’t help but fall on Eamon and Martha’s hands - Held together proudly in front of the whole hall, with the engagement ring on her finger shining in the bright stage light. He glanced down to the floor, refusing to look back up.

“I’m just going to get some fresh air,” He mumbled to Richard, before standing up and briskly leaving the hall through the double doors on the right.

Unaware to Richard, Martha had been watching their little conversation from up on the stage. Although she was far up and had several lights shining in her eyes; she could definitely see that whatever Richard had said had affected Jack, as she had watched his face fall when Richard was speaking. She was also curious as to why Jack would leave so suddenly, especially when he had the perfect opportunity to watch her make a fool out of herself on stage.

Jack stood outside on the porch, looking out at the hotel’s empty pool. He leant against the fencing, giving out a sigh. As much as he loved being around her; it was hurting like hell. Eamon was always there; physically and mentally. He just couldn’t do it anymore. He wanted out. But the thought of leaving hurt him even more. It was one thing being around Martha when she was engaged, having to think about her and Eamon together; but it was another not seeing her and still thinking about it.

Jack heard the switch between the Magic Act and the music performance. It was 7.30, and the Magic Act was now on its hour break. Out of the corner of his eye Jack could see the couples moving from the porch and going into the hall. To dance, he assumed. Again, the thought of Martha and Eamon collided into his brain, causing another groan.

“Like hell I’m going back in there to watch them dance.” He grumbled to himself.

He listened out again, hearing the microphone echo out of the great hall into the porch area. A man started to speak; a man with an Irish accent.

“This is for you, Constable, and your lovely girlfriend Martha – who is looking gorgeous tonight by the way.”

Jack’s back stiffened and his ears pricked. Henry was here. He was in the hall; in the hall with Martha.

His legs couldn’t move fast enough as he ran into the busy room, aiming for the side stage where the microphone stood. He brushed through the crowd as fast as he could, forgetting his manners as he did so. He could only think of one thing – Henry. This was his chance. Jack could finally end things. He skidded into the wooden dancing area, a tad surprised at the sudden lack of people present, but his thoughts still on the job. He darted his eyes to the left, to the entertainer’s stand. The empty entertainer’s stand.

“Damn,” He looked around frantically, holding his head high to see over the other holiday-makers.

“Where is he?” Jack said angrily under his breath. “Where’s Martha?” He asked himself desperately, noting that she wasn’t at the table, or the stage. He could see Eamon and Richard stood at the front as they drank; but he couldn’t see Martha.

He could feel his heart beat faster and his breathing getting heavier. He couldn’t see her; all that was left was her bag at the lonely table for two.

Jack felt something touch his arm, gripping it tightly as it pulled. He twisted around to face the owner. He let out a huge sigh of relief.

“Martha!” He exclaimed with a slight laugh, relief showing through.

But Martha wasn’t laughing.

“Who was that Irish bloke on the microphone?! Did you tell him to do that!?” She demanded.

“Did you see him? Did you see where he went?” He asked her.

Martha looked at him curiously. “No… I heard him from backstage. Why? Who is he?” She asked. “His voice sounded familiar. But not a good familiar… you know?”

Jack nodded vacantly, still looking around for Henry. “He’s someone from the station. A colleague. I don’t think you’ve met him though. He was just trying to wind me up.” He lied, “He’s a bit of an idiot like that.”

She sighed angrily, nodding as she crossed her arms. “Well, you should have seen Eamon’s face when we heard it backstage. He was furious.”

Jack broke away from his search and looked down at her with a smirk. “Really?”

“It’s not funny Jack.” She snapped at him. She glanced away; unaware she was allowing him to carry on searching for Henry. A smile developed on her face as she thought to herself. “Actually, it was quite funny. Besides, he’s already angry at me; I may as well make it worse.” She giggled mischievously to herself.

Jack laughed from above, “That’s the spirit.” He said sarcastically as he carried on looking around.

Martha sighed to herself, stepping backwards. “Well, I guess I should go and find Eamon. I may as well get it out of the way now…” She moaned, tilting her head back before spinning around. “See you in the second half.” She told him with a groan, before wandering off in the other direction.

Jack jumped forward, grabbing onto her arm. He couldn’t let her go; Henry may still be in the room. He had to keep her close.

Martha stared at him curiously, wondering why he’d just latched onto her arm. “What?”

Jack stuttered, “Um… stay with me.” He said a little too desperately.

“Why?”

“Because… we were requested to dance.” He smiled.

Martha laughed, “Yes - that would improve my situation with Eamon!” She exclaimed sarcastically.

“Exactly! He’s already mad at you; you may as well make it worse.” He repeated playfully.

Martha giggled, glanced down as Jack reached out for her hand. He swung her around, gaining hold of her other too. She looked back up at him as the space between them disappeared and his hand draped hers onto his shoulder, and then moved softly to her lower back.

He looked down into her eyes as they swayed. “This is nice; isn’t it, Miss MacKenzie?” He asked.

Martha laughed, “I’m Miss MacKenzie now?”

“I thought it sounded cool and posh. I feel quite posh right now.” He smirked down at her as they continued to move side to side. A moment of silence passed between them; a comfortable, enjoyable silence.

The room was growing quieter and quieter until they’d both forgotten where they were. All they could feel were each other, and the pounding heartbeats that performed against their chests. Martha’s head drifted and rested against his shoulder softly, closing her eyes as she did so. Jack smiled to himself as he fell into her, holding her tighter and closer in their dance.

“I’ve missed this,” He told her softly, “I’ve missed you.”

Martha’s heart began to race, hearing him speak those lovely words. “He’s missed me”, she thought with a smile. “He’s missed this, just like I have.” Her excitement faded though, when Eamon could be seen out of her half-open right eye. He was stood with Richard, watching her carefully. “I have to forget these feelings. I’m marrying Eamon; why does this have to be so complicated?” She asked herself as her throat developed a lump. She could feel tears forming and, before they had chance to spill over, she moved away from Jack’s tender grasp.

He watched as she pulled away, looking up at him with her delicate, glassy eyes.

“I’m sorry,” Was all she could utter, before she ran off from the dance floor, past Richard and Eamon and into the backstage area. Jack was left in the centre of the dance floor, staring down in sorrow.

“She hasn’t missed it. She hasn’t missed me.” He concluded, looking up as Eamon and Richard followed her. “She’ll be okay,” He mumbled to himself. “Just as long as she’s okay.”

• 2 weeks later...

Look at me go, updated Dazed AND this fic in one night/morning. :D

Thanks to Krystal for proofing.

This chapter starts with Jack basically feeling sorry for himself, because Martha has just told him that she doesn't love him... You may need to quickly read through end of the last chapter.

Chapter 45

If Henry had killed Jack 18 months ago, he would have died being loved. It would have been a good death, compared to the one that awaited him now. When Henry came back to finish him off he’d die knowing that there’d be no one tending flowers by his graveside, or crying into their pillow at night for him. Not that he necessarily wanted pain to be inflicted on those he loved; he just wanted a bit of sorrow. When death faces you the first thing that flashes on your mind is cursing; the second are the people important to you. No one wants to leave the Earth and make their lover unhappy for the rest of their life; but they don’t want to leave the Earth without affect either. What would be left to show of Martha and Jack’s love when he finally met his end? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

He sat staring at the empty stage, his mind heavy with the rambles of his sorrowful heart.

“You should have stayed and rotted in the warehouse. You’re only making things worse for her.” He told himself as he chucked a mouthful of beer down his dry throat. As he rested the glass down on the table something brown caught his eye- Martha’s purse. Or should he say bag; as she had corrected him that day. He picked it up with a small smile and held it in his hands, thumbing the silk fabric as he reminisced.

It had been Morag’s birthday, and a group of them had gone down to a fine restaurant in Yabbie Creek. Martha had worn the same beautiful brown dress that fluttered around her thighs. She had also taken a matching bag – which Jack by mistake had called a purse. They spent the majority of the evening squabbling over what it was, and had ended up getting the whole table into a debate over the accessory. Jack’s argument was that it was far too small to be a bag; but Martha retaliated with the fact that purse’s don’t come with straps. In the end, they had both compromised and settled with the term “bag-purse”, though Jack still insisted under his breath that it was a purse.

He smiled again to himself, stroking the silk with a hand. He was distracted by a voice from above.

“Don’t tell me you’re gay. I can’t deal with the best looking man in the room being gay.” The blonde woman said with a grin.

Jack sighed with a smirk, “I’m not gay.” He told her, putting Martha’s accessory down on the table. “And thanks.”

“What about lonely? Are you lonely?” She asked him as she leant on the absent Martha’s chair.

Jack widened his eyes with a short laugh, “Yes. I am.”

She grinned as she walked around the chair, sitting down happily on the edge and placing her drink on the table. “So am I.” She said with a smirk. “But are you single?”

“Yes. I am.” He repeated.

“So am I!” She gasped sarcastically.

Jack laughed; watching as the bubbly blonde from the pool raised her glass for a toast.

“To single life - May it end soon.” She cheered, crashing their glasses together with a cute smile.

Martha slowly and reluctantly pushed herself out of the Ladies Toilet and out into the backstage corridor. She was going to go back in to the hall with Jack, and she was going to fight all the feelings she had for him. She had to stay friends with him; though she knew he’d find it hard. As angry as she was for still loving him, which she had gathered she did, she still wanted to be around him. She still needed to be around him. But she still insisted that she’d get over him; eventually, it would become easier on them both.

She looked up to see two men walking briskly down the corridor in her direction. Two men that she didn’t particularly want to speak to.

“Martha I-” Eamon began.

She raised a hand to stop him from speaking, “Not now, Eamon. I’ll see you after the show.” She told him as she started to walk away.

Eamon grabbed her arm again. “Martha-”

“Not now!” She exclaimed, ripping her arm away from him and proceeding to walk down the corridor with a little more speed.

Jack and the pretty blonde continued to laugh and joke, and of course she slipped in the occasional flirt; not that Jack minded. To be honest, he liked the attention. It kept his mind off Martha and Eamon.

With that thought, Martha arrived beside the table, assessing the situation as she stood with her hands on her hips.

“Hi.” She said a little sharply to Jack, tilting her head towards his guest questioningly.

Jack, still embarrassed from their last conversation where he revealed his unreciprocated feelings towards her, looked away quickly.

“Who’s this?” The blonde asked; sounding a little worried that she’d intruded in a lover’s evening.

Jack lifted his hand up to his new friend. “Martha, this is Callie. Callie, this is Martha.” He told them both. Callie smiled up at Martha warmly; but didn’t get quite the same response back.

“Callie’s in my seat.” She told Jack rudely, who out of surprise and shock looked up at her, ignoring all feelings not to. He stared her out for a couple of seconds, presenting the ‘what the hell is up with you?’ face, and then looked to Callie.

“I’m sorry; do you want to sit here?” She asked, standing up with a flushed face. “I don’t want to intrude.”

Jack stood up quickly, “No, no it’s fine. Martha can have my seat, I’ll get another.” He told the girls, looking up at Martha especially. “No big deal.” He said firmly before taking a chair from the table behind.

Martha shuffled down to the seat, lifting her head high to avoid looking at Callie. She couldn’t believe that flirt had actually sat at their table; more so, that Jack had let her.

“So, how do you two know each other?” Callie asked friendlily.

Jack and Martha shared a brief look, wondering how to describe it, and then looked away. Jack was the one to speak. “We’re friends.” He told her, glancing back down to Martha. “Just friends.” He added quietly.

Callie smiled eagerly. “Good. I mean… nice. That’s nice… friends are good…” She trailed off as she realised her eagerness.

Jack laughed, his attention gone from Martha for the time being, “So who have you come with?”

“Yea, where are they? Shouldn’t you be with them?” Martha spoke up.

Jack dished Martha a dirty look, before regaining Callie’s attention. “I think she means that they might be worried.” He explained.

Martha sighed, mouthing ‘whatever’ into the palm of her hand below.

Callie, a little confused and embarrassed with Martha’s actions, spoke back to Jack. “Yea, I’ve come with some friends and their partners. But to be honest it’s a bit boring hanging around with couples when you’re single; it just rubs it in that little bit more. You know what I mean?”

Jack looked over at Martha. “Yea, I know what you mean.” He agreed.

“And you looked a lot more fun.” She smiled to him, reaching across the table and flirtatiously rubbing his arm.

At this point, Martha snorted with laughter into her drink. Jack gave her yet another look before attempting to distract Callie’s attention once more from Martha’s childish behaviour.

It had been an hour and a half since the Magic Act had started back up again, and it was drawing to a close. Not that Martha had paid attention to it; it was too hard to focus on anything over the ridiculous giggles and flirting that Callie was dishing towards Jack. Martha was extremely annoyed.

“So you’re a cop? That’s so brave.” She said admiringly.

Martha rolled her eyes as she let out a loud groan. “And now we hear the ‘Wow, you’re so brave’ remarks…” She moaned.

Callie glared at her, “What is your problem?” She asked angrily.

“I’m not the one with a problem.” Martha bit back, finally letting her anger flare. “I’m not the one throwing myself at a man who clearly isn’t interested. Stop looking so desperate and go away. You’re only embarrassing yourself.” She finished, picking up her glass of wine and throwing it quickly down her throat.

Jack looked up to watch Callie storming off, flustered and angry at the Martha’s rude behaviour. After two or three metres, she turned back around to Jack.

“You better watch her. She’s got jealousy written all over her face. You won’t get anywhere with that following you.” She advised him, before briskly heading outside.

Jack paused for a second, thinking back to what Martha had said about Callie previously that day. She had been awful to Callie, just as she had done at the table. This wasn’t like Martha; she wouldn’t be rude to hurt someone’s feelings. Not without a reason anyway.

“Drunk bimbo. Why the hell would I be jealous?” She snorted, peering into Jack’s empty bottle. “Fancy buying me a thank you drink now I’ve got rid of her for you?” Martha asked playfully.

“I didn’t want you to get rid of her for me.” Jack said angrily.

Martha shook her head to the table. “You only liked her because she was throwing herself at you.” She muttered.

“So what if she was? Guys like that; I like that.” He informed her.

Martha sighed, placing her elbow on the table as she leant the side of her head down onto her palm. “Whatever…” She sighed, “I’m sorry I ruined your date.” She said sarcastically.

Jack ran his tongue around his mouth, looking down angrily towards her.

“I’m going to the loo, if I see a desperate tramp in there to boost your ego I’ll bring her back.” She said, picking up her bag as she stood up.

Jack shook his head in disbelief, annoyed that she was now starting on him. “What the hell is up with you?” He demanded.

“What the hell is up with you!? I thought you had a brain in that rather large head of yours; yet you prove me wrong by being sucked in by that blonde tramp’s pathetic attempt of flirting.” She exclaimed. “Just a flutter of the eyelashes and you’re all hers.”

Jack glared at her for a moment, reading her wide eyes and stuck out chin. She was jealous. She had been jealous earlier when she saw him with Callie by the pool, and now she was again. That’s why she’d driven Callie away; she was jealous.

He couldn’t help but give a quiet laugh, purely out of frustration. “You’re jealous.”

Martha sighed angrily, folding her arms. “Get over yourself, Jack. I’m not jealous.”

Jack nodded, still chuckling through his words. “I don’t understand why, but you are!”

She shook her head, looking away from him as fury built up inside of her. It was as she looked away that her mind started to think.

“I had been jealous,” she thought to herself. “I was evil to Callie, who didn’t deserve half of it.” She looked down, brushing her stare past her folded arms and to her feet. She felt so ashamed, so embarrassed, and mostly angry with herself. She’d told Jack about two hours ago that she didn’t love him and that she had no feelings for him; but here she was, fighting the girls off of him. Why was she making this harder for both of them?

Jack stared at the non-responsive woman in front. “Why are you jealous, Martha? You said you didn’t love me, you said you didn’t care for me like I do you. You love Eamon, and you’re supposedly happy with him. Why are you jealous?” He asked impatiently, “You have to make your mind up, Martha. Me or Eamon. You can’t have it both ways.” He told her.

She looked up at him, into those pleading eyes yet again. He was trying to stay strong and look like he was setting down the rules; but she could tell by the look in his eyes he was hanging on for her next words. He was praying that they’d be what he wanted. Yet again, she had to crush the hopes of the man she loves.

“Please, stop asking Jack.” She begged, “My answer isn’t going to change. I just have to repeat it all, and I know it’s hurting you. You just need to get over it; get over us.” She spoke softly.

He took a deep breath, recovering from another rejection. He looked up at her, staring down to the floor with sad eyes. Why was he getting the feeling that she was lying? If what she was saying was true, then why was she jealous? There was still something unexplained; something she was hiding.

“Then why were you jealous?” He asked her, almost desperately searching for the answer he hoped to find.

“I wasn’t jealous.” She denied, knowing that she couldn’t admit to it.

“Oh right, you’re just that pleasant to every girl I speak to then.” He said sarcastically.

Martha bit her lip, getting annoyed. “Jack, I wasn’t jealous. I just didn’t like her.”

“No, I’m not buying that. You were jealous, I know you were. Why don’t you just admit it?” He queried.

Martha groaned angrily, “There’s nothing to admit! I wasn’t jealous; you just want me to have been! I’m sorry Jack, but I wasn’t. I couldn’t care less about your love life, if you want to sleep with that blonde then fine! If you want to have babies with a bimbo, I don’t care! I’ve never cared any less, Jack. Because I don’t care about anything to do with you. And I sure as hell don’t care about you!” She exclaimed with fury, picking up her bag and looking back towards him. “Got it yet?” She stabbed again.

Jack nodded silently, glancing up at her before turning away.

“Good.” She added, watching as he looked away uncomfortably, the same expression on his face as he’d had 2 hours ago. She’d done it once more; she’d broken his heart all over again, along with hers. She swallowed her tears as she read his broken eyes, pointing up at the ceiling.

“I’ve got it.” He told her, meeting her gaze with his throbbing eyes. “Loud and clear.” He finished, turning around and walking through the room, slamming the doors open with his palms and letting them swing shut behind him.

Martha hushed a cry as she watched him leave. Feeling a tear run down her cheek, she softly wiped it away with her right hand. As she looked down she spotted her bag in her left hand; or purse, as Jack had corrected her. With a sad smile she looked away, feeling another tear spill onto her cheek. She couldn’t do this anymore. This wasn’t fair on either of them; especially Jack. Something had to be done.

Next Chapter: Martha, Eamon and Richard talk. Secrets and plans are revealed, and feelings will be hurt. How will it end? Is the marriage off, or can they all compromise?

Lol Sian!

I'm updating - again!

Chapter 46

Martha was sat down on the apartment balcony, looking out at the night sky. Eamon and Richard had yet to talk to her, and she was beginning to feel like they weren’t going to. It was weird around them now; it felt like they weren’t even angry. Perhaps they were even as confused as her.

“Are you going to stay out here all night, or would you like to come in for some hot chocolate?” Richard asked as he poked his head onto the balcony.

Martha sighed, rolling her head over and looking at him.

“Why do you hate me so much?” She asked him, watching as his expression dropped, “You never told me. You just hated me. I can’t remember ever doing something to deserve it; you just treat me like crap, even though I’m helping you.” She told him.

Richard looked down to the floor, “I don’t hate you.” He told her, “I just hate the situation. I’m sorry that I take it out on you.”

Martha shook her head, looking back out to the dark sky. “You think I like the situation?” She asked, “At least this way you can be happy with the man you love; I have to hurt mine every day. How long has it been since Eamon held you?” She asked him.

Richard sighed, sitting down on the empty chair opposite her. He shrugged, “Earlier on today?” He guessed.

Martha smiled sadly, “It’s been 19 months, 1 week and 3 days since Jack held me. The last happy memory I have of us is when I was bleeding to death on the floor, and Henry took him away. That’s when he held me. He held me on the floor, and he kissed me goodbye, and told me he loved me. When was the last time that Eamon told you he loved you?” She asked him. Richard chose not to answer, realising that his answer wasn’t really important. He simply sat and watched her with sympathy and understanding; probably for the first time. “I’m trying my best to do this for you and Eamon. I admit, at first it was an easy way out of a lonely life. But now Jack’s back, it’s all changed. It’s like a heavy weight that I can’t get off of me. It’s crushing me, Richard. And it’s crushing Jack.” She said as her eyes started to fill up.

At that point, Eamon made his presence known by a cough from the sliding door. Martha didn’t look up at him though, she just continued.

“I know you want this to work, and so do I, but it’s hurting me and Jack. Why can’t I just have a relationship with him as well?” She asked them.

“We never said you couldn’t-” Eamon began.

“Don’t give me that crap.” She bit back, swinging her head around, “I know what you two have been up to. You’ve been doing all you can to prevent us getting together. That’s what hurts the most. Richard, you say you don’t hate me; so why are you doing this to me? I saw you with Jack earlier on when I was up on stage, you started to talk about me and Eamon didn’t you? You were trying to upset him, weren’t you?” Martha asked.

Richard nodded guiltily.

“And Eamon,” She said, looking up to him, “You’re supposed to be my best friend. I want you to be happy – why can’t I get the same in return?”

Eamon sighed, “We both want you to be happy; we just want you to wait to be with Jack until after the wedding. We’re afraid you’ll not go through with it.” He explained.

Martha sat upright. “But I will go through with it.” She told them.

Eamon shook his head, “You think Jack will sit back and watch you get married?” He asked, “You think you’ll want to get married to me when you love him? When you’re in a relationship with him? Do you think you’d be okay with standing up in front of those people and saying those vows, and thinking of when Jack held you, or kissed you goodbye before the service? That’s if he goes along with it all; which he won’t. You know he won’t.” Eamon told her.

Tears began to fill Martha’s eyes, “So when you said that I could have a perfectly normal life apart from the marriage thing, you lied?” She asked.

Eamon shook his head, “No, we were all being foolish. We were being naïve and hoping for too much. Richard and I realised this a few weeks ago; but now the extent has only just got to us.” He told her. “Just try to wait; 1 month is all we ask Martha. Your name on the marriage certificate and your belongings in that house. That’s it.”

Martha looked at them both. “That’s IT? Just TRY?” She repeated angrily. “Have you not been listening to one word I’ve been saying? I’ve been trying, I’ve been hurting and I’m upset; but now you’re asking me to just try!? One whole month, and then signing my life away.” She ranted, slowing down nearer the end. “One month…” Her eyes flickered quickly between them. “ONE MONTH!? The wedding’s not for 2 months.”

Eamon and Richard looked around awkwardly. “We moved it forward.” Richard told her, “And we’ve bought the house. It’s ready for us as soon as you get married. We thought that maybe it’d give you less time to get with Jack...” He explained.

“So not only have you been purposely hurting Jack and trying to keep us apart; you’ve actually made plans to speed up the wedding to give me less thinking time.”

Eamon froze. “Thinking time? You need thinking time?” He asked, hurt. “You were in depression when we met. You barely left your apartment; and when you did you were drunk. I helped you through that when no one else could. When everyone took your drunken insults to heart and backed off, I stayed. I helped you out, and then you said you’d help me in a way that would set the rest of my life up; that would make me truly happy. And you have to think about that?”

“Don’t guilt trip me into it, Eamon! You know I really appreciated what you did, and I’m thankful to this day; but that doesn’t mean I have to sign my life to you.” She growled.

“I’m not asking for that! I’m asking for your name on the wedding certificate, and then to move away with me and Richard. Bring Jack along. Bring anyone along – we don’t care! We just need you.” He exclaimed passionately.

“But what if I can’t do it?” She asked him as tears spilled from her eyes.

Eamon looked to the floor. “Then you’re not the friend I thought you were.” He sighed, moving away from the door and moving through the apartment.

Martha wiped her wet cheeks and stood up, following him.

“I’M not the friend you thought I was? What about you? My best friend who wanted me to be happy!? You don’t care. You’d be prepared to sacrifice my own happy life for yours.”

“What, just like you are?” Eamon bit back angrily.

“Well, at least I’m not gutless.” She told him. “I’m proud of what I am, and I’m proud of who I love. I don’t have to lie to be happy.” She shouted. “Just grow up, and face mummy and daddy. Bite the bullet. Just be a man!” She told him, “Because right now, you look like a desperate, snivelling girl, who’s afraid of their snobby parents.”

Eamon darkened his stare. “Go. Get out!” He yelled, “And don’t come back until you’re the friend I thought you were!”

Martha laughed, swinging the door open as she leant against it. “I won’t be coming back until you’ve developed a spine.” She growled, slamming the door behind her.

Eamon turned around to Richard, tears in his eyes. It was over; Martha wasn’t going to go through with it. He’d lost his chance of happiness, and his best friend. He fell into Richard’s comforting arms as he sobbed.

Martha ran out of the elevator and through the wooden door, taking a deep breath as she inhaled the outside air. She was on the sun deck of the hotel now, right at the very top of the building. She rushed to the side and held onto the railings, closing her eyes as she rocked her head back.

“Idiot.” She groaned, leaning her head forward. “Stupid, idiotic, idiot!”

What did this mean? Was the wedding over? She didn’t know if that were good or bad. She may be free and single; but Eamon was stuck, and he hated her. She’d lost a best friend, a best friend who’d done so much for her.

Then there was Jack, who had also done more than his fair share for her. He’d saved her life, then come back to her. Unfortunately she’d treated him like crap and messed him around, and he probably hated her too. She was left alone, the thing that she’d been afraid of from the beginning.

And yet again, Jack wasn’t there to comfort her.

He lay down staring at the twinkling stars. The small pin-points of light delicately glistening in the contrasting sky. His eyes glared straight forward, ignoring the pretty dots of light and focussing on the space in between. The darkness, the emptiness of the sky.

He’d watched her go in the apartment with Eamon, just to make sure she was okay. Though he didn’t know why he cared; she didn’t care about him. She’d made that clear twice tonight; viciously and harshly ripping into his heart with her words.

Jack closed his eyes with pain, banging his fist down against the plastic sun bed. He still had the memories, he told himself. The happy, the joyful, and the fun memories. Not forgetting the romantic and sweet. That’s why he couldn’t hate her, that’s what made it so damn difficult. He couldn’t help but love her, even when she fired her vicious temper. That’s what he’d fallen in love with in the first place. He couldn’t hate her, he could only love and adore her. That’s what made him so angry, so mad at her; she was the one, and that couldn’t change.

Jack jumped up with a bang, darting his eyes over to the door that had been violently punched open. A woman ran out on the concrete floor, straight to the side of the building. She gripped onto the rails, initially throwing her head forward over the side, then bringing it back as she breathed heavily. He instantly knew who it was, she was wearing the same brown dress that fluttered around her thighs, and those curls of her hair were loosely hung around her neck. Not only had he recognized Martha, but from the back of her shaking body he noticed her sobs. She was crying, and all pain and self-pity he had had before vanished; his mind and heart were focused on Martha.

Next Chapter: Will Jack comfort Martha? Will she tell him all? And why will Amber be incredibly happy with the next chapter?

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Jade for proofing, and thanks to everyone for waiting patiently. :) Apart from Amber, of course. :P

Chapter 47

Watching her sob was far worse than the rejection he’d received earlier, which is why the hurt had flown from his mind, and his heart, when he saw her. Seeing her cry had always broken him, he hated to think that she was in pain.

“Martha,” Jack called softly, standing up from the deck chair and moving over to her. She turned around to see him, guilt immediately spreading over her face.

“I’m sorry; I didn’t know you were here. I’ll just go…” She said, casually brushing away her tears as she faced the exit.

Jack reached out an arm, holding onto hers. “Martha, what’s wrong?” He asked.

Martha thought for a second, and then looked up at him. Looking at his face made her crumble, it made her want to fall on the floor and beg for forgiveness. She couldn’t bear to think that he was as mad as Eamon was with her.

“I’m sorry,” She said, her voice breaking again with emotion, “don’t hate me too.” Tears swam down her cheeks.

Jack pulled her into his open arms, allowing her to fit beside his chest and be comforted by his strong frame. She welcomed this, putting her face into his chest as her tears soaked into the clean fabric of his shirt. She shook and trembled as she slowly let it all out, pulling tightly at his shirt from the back as she held onto him for comfort, never wanting to let go.

But he didn’t seem to mind. A sense of normality was coming back to him; everything just seemed to have slipped back into their old routine in a matter of seconds. He was there for her to cry on, just as he’d always been before, and he was prepared to stand their all night for her. His pain from the rejection seemed so stupid now; she was obviously going through much more heartbreak.

He put his hand on the back of her head, gently kissing her hair. “It’s okay,” He soothed, “I don’t hate you.” He whispered, closing his eyes as his head fell onto hers.

Jack sat on the bed beside her with a sigh, putting his hand on the small of her back to get her attention.

“Are you feeling any better?” He asked her.

Martha nodded, rubbing her nose before she answered, “Yes, thanks.”

Jack smiled, tucking his legs underneath each other as he crossed them. “Good.” He told her with a nod, “Now we can have chocolate whilst you tell me what’s going on.”

Martha sighed, looking down at her intertwined fingers. Even though the wedding sounded like it was off, she still couldn’t tell Jack that Eamon and Richard were gay. Her best friend may have hated her at that minute, but that didn’t mean she could go blabbing his secrets. That really wouldn’t improve the situation.

“I don’t know…” She mumbled.

Jack smiled, “That’s alright. I’ll just eat the chocolate while you tell me.”

She looked up at him with a raised eyebrow, shaking her head with a small smile as her eyes fell back upon her hands, telling him yet again no.

He sighed, dropping his grin, “Come on Martha, you can tell me. Maybe I’ll be able to help?” He suggested.

Martha laughed sadly, “Can you stop me from being such an evil cow?” She asked him.

“You’re nothing but nice.” He denied.

She shook her head, again looking back down to her hands. “Try telling that to Eamon.” She sighed sadly.

Jack frowned, “Have you two had an argument?”

Martha laughed again, once more not knowing why. “You could say that.” She looked up at Jack, “and before you ask, I can’t tell you what it was about. It wouldn’t be fair on Eamon. It’s really his business, not mine.” She told him, in a tone that spelt out go-no-further.

Jack nodded in acceptance, “Okay then, well is there anyway I can help?” He asked hopefully.

Martha shook her head, “not unless you can make him not hate me.”

“What about apologizing? Have you tried that?” Jack asked.

“I can’t! Because I said some really awful things, and he was really hurt. He hates me, Jack. He doesn’t want to ever see me again.” She told him as tears built in her eyes.

Jack could say nothing, he realised that he couldn’t actually solve her problems anymore. It was out of his hands, because he was no longer involved. In the silence she leant her head on his shoulder, turning her head into the curve of his neck as sobs fell from her throat. The pain of thinking through the mess she was in was unbearable; it made her head throb and broke her heart. She felt dizzy with everything to think about and to consider. She didn’t want to disappoint anyone, she didn’t want to break anyone’s heart, and it seemed that in her desperation to keep Eamon happy, she was breaking her own.

As tears continued to run relentlessly down her cheeks and her breath became short, Jack’s arms moved around her. In a swift action, he pulled her into him, caressing her cheek with his hand as he leant their bodies against the headboard behind them. He sat with her for a few minutes, listening to her painful sobs and exasperated cries. Her words were inaudible, yet he knew what she was feeling. He could feel it himself, after every tear, sob and the rise and fall of her chest. Her emotions were beating strongly upon his own breaking heart.

Gently, he had hushed her cries and steadied her shaking body, slowly stopping her tears. She now lay limp, exhausted and depressed in Jack’s arms. His thumb still stroked her cheek, and his left arm was still wrapped around her middle, with her hand linked on top of his.

“When did everything get so screwed up?” She asked him in their silence. She shifted slightly, looking up at him. “We were happy Jack. I wanted to marry you, have kids with you, and I was going to be happy with you… Then it got ruined,” She tried to fight the tears that swelled in her eyes, “Then I finally get my life back on track, and this happens.” She said sadly, letting the droplets swim down her cheek. “I can’t go through it all again.”

Jack looked down guiltily, watching her in sympathy. “I’m sorry about what happened. I really am.” He told her.

Martha nodded with a snivel, “Me too.” She whispered.

“I’m sorry about this, too.” He added. “I may not like Eamon but I know he makes you happy, so I’m sorry that you’ve fallen out with him. He’s a good guy, and I’m sure whatever has happened you’ll sort it out. You deserve happiness, and I’m pleased he can give it you.” Jack told her. “I just want you to be happy.”

Martha sighed, feeling a huge amount of guilt and bewilderment at his declaration.

“How can you say that, after all I’ve given you since you’ve been back has been trouble and pain? Why do you even care?” She asked, looking up at him.

Jack smiled down to her, tracing his finger to the bottom of her chin. The thought of the answer just made him smile. He was proud of it; for the first time since he found out about Martha’s fiancé, as he had now realised that it was a positive thing, apart from all the pain.

“Because I love you.” He told her. He no longer detested the emotion, he thanked it. It was the reason why he’d stuck around her; and why she lay in his arms tonight. He just hoped she didn’t freak out.

Martha’s heart was pounding, and her lips were forming a smile; she was far from freaking out. Her ears were buzzing, and her eyes were beginning to fill with water. She hadn’t heard Jack Holden say that to her in what seemed like a lifetime, and it felt good.

“I’ve missed hearing that.” She laughed, snivelling as she sat up and turned to face him. “I’ve really missed hearing that.” She told him again, honestly and soulfully as she put her hand to his cheek. Her emotions were taking hold, all the dreams that she’d had over the last 19 months were growing inside of her, reliving and re-owning her body. It felt like just yesterday that this was normal and that they were a normal couple; and she loved the feeling. She loved him.

The emotions were indescribable, and the joy was unimaginable. He could feel his skin buzzing as he tried to think about what this meant. But he couldn’t think, and truthfully he didn’t want to think. He just wanted to keep the short breath, the racing pulse, and the strong beating heart that always took an affect when she looked at him in that way. He knew for sure that there was something in those lips and those words that were screaming out to him. She couldn’t lie her way out of this one; she wasn’t getting away this time.

Leaning forward he touched his lips against hers, only for a second or two before leaving her touch to position his face just a few centimetres from hers. Their noses were practically touching, and he could feel her quickening breath on his skin. His eyes were roaming around her face, from eyes to mouth as he queried her wants, and his left hand had now returned to her cheek.

“Do you love me too?” He asked her, desperate for an answer.

Martha smiled, curling her hand around his ear as she stared into his eyes. “I never stopped.”

Sharply he moved forward, pressing his lips roughly against hers and passionately uniting their soft skin. In that simple movement Martha’s hands moved to the back of his neck, allowing him to wrap an arm around her waist and lower her back onto the bed, laying her down underneath.

Slow down, Lie down,

Remember it's just you and me.

Don't sell out, bow out,

Remember how this used to be.

I just want you closer,

Is that alright?

Baby let's get closer tonight

Grant my last request,

And just let me hold you.

Don't shrug your shoulders,

Lay down beside me.

Sure I can accept that we're going nowhere,

But one last time let's go there,

Lay down beside me

Oh, I've found, that I'm bound

To wander down that one way road.

And I realise all about your lies

But I'm no wiser than the fool I was before.

I just want you closer,

Is that alright?

Baby let's get closer tonight

Grant my last request,

And just let me hold you.

Don't shrug your shoulders,

Lay down beside me.

Sure I can accept that we're going nowhere,

But one last time let's go there,

Lay down beside me

Oh, baby, baby, baby,

Tell me how can, how can this be wrong?

*insert some hot sex here*

^^ That bit was for Amber. LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 48

It sounded like a buzzing noise. A bee, perhaps, or a rattle snake’s tail shaking wildly. “Why the hell would a snake be in a hotel room?” She thought.

Opening one eye and rolling her head to the left, she followed the noise with her gaze across the clothes covered floor. It was then when she remembered the previous night before. The discarded dress and suit from the previous activity in the early hours of the morning were still laid in their position, waiting to be collected by their owners. She felt a blush creep onto her cheeks and a smile on her face. She then felt aware of the skin wrapped around her body; the alien arm that lay on top of her. She glanced over to her right, curling her hair behind her ear with yet another blush.

“Morning.” Jack smiled down to her.

Martha looked up at him. He was laid on his side, staring down to her with a Jack Holden smile. He clearly wasn’t regretting anything.

She smiled back, “Morning.” She returned shyly.

Jack brushed her hair from her eyes. “It’s just like old times, isn’t it?” He asked her.

Martha smiled up to him, nodding gently. “Yea, it is. You were a pervert who watched me sleep then.” She stuck her tongue out cheekily.

Jack laughed, “I meant about waking up together; you idiot.” He called her. “And I can’t help it. I still can’t get over the fact that we slept together last night. I didn’t see it coming.” He told her.

“Is it because you’re a bit of a loser? You didn’t think I’d sleep with a guy like you?” She asked him.

Jack rolled his eyes. “I’m trying to be nice here!” He exclaimed.

Martha giggled, putting her hand over her mouth. “Sorry,” she said muffled. “Do continue.”

He shook his head playfully, rolling onto his back. “Not if you’re going to make fun of me.” He said sulkily.

Martha giggled, turning onto her side. “Awww, I’m sorry.” She apologized, putting her hand on his right cheek and rolling his head to face her. “Continue being nice.” She told him.

Jack grinned towards her, watching as she eagerly awaited his next dialogue. She looked so beautiful, and genuinely happy to be with him.

“This means that you don’t regret last night then?” He asked her.

Martha looked confused, “Why would I?”

Jack shrugged with a relieved smile, “I thought maybe you didn’t mean to sleep with me or something…” He said.

Martha jolted up, holding the bed sheet to her skin. Her eyes widened. “We had sex!?” She exclaimed, slapping her hand over her mouth

Jack jumped up to meet her, “What the hell did you think we had done!?” He asked, putting his hand on her shoulder to get her attention. He could feel her shaking, with tears he assumed, which would probably explain why she was facing the other way. “Hang on, you couldn’t have not known…” He said, turning her around. He kept his lips tight with frustration when she revealed her laughing face. He looked like an idiot; again.

He fell down to the pillows with a roll of his eyes, rubbing her forehead with his right hand. “I had forgotten how annoying you could be.” He groaned.

Martha giggled, falling down onto his spread out arm. “You know you love it.”

Jack smirked, pulling her into his chest and wrapping his arms around her. “True,” He said against her lips.

Martha grinned gleefully, looking at Jack’s happy face. He was staring at her with a smile; obviously besotted with love, as was she.

“What time is it?” She asked him.

“About 9.”

Martha sighed, “We don’t have to get up yet, do we? I’d quite like to just lay here for a while.” She asked.

Jack smiled, nodding gently. “I can’t think of anything better to do.” He agreed, leaning forward and kissing her again.

Martha smiled, nuzzling her head into his chest until something caught her eye on her left. It wasn’t the first time she’d noticed them, nor was it the first time that they’d made her heart ache. But when she’d seen them the night before she had ignored them, not wanting to let her curiosity ruin the long awaited time with Jack. But now she couldn’t help but ask.

“Jack, those marks on your arms…” She began, slowly approaching the subject. “They were from Henry, weren’t they?” She asked.

Jack looked down at the bruising and scars, cursing himself. He had forgotten all about them last night, which was probably due to the effect Martha had on him. Now he had to talk about it.

“Yea,” Jack sighed, “they are.” He said uncomfortably. “Sorry I didn’t tell you about them before, I just… it’s just.. I, Um…” He stumbled.

Martha lifted her head, putting her hand on his chest as she looked up at him. “Jack, it’s okay. I understand.” She told him with a smile.

His left eyebrow shifted upwards. “You do?”

She nodded, “You just don’t want to talk about it, and that’s fine. It must have been awful for you.” She said; feeling a little choked up. “And you don’t want to relive that by talking about it.”

Jack smiled at her affection, “Thanks.” He said, lifting his hand and stroking her hair back before leaning forward and kissing her forehead.

Martha smiled, relaxing in his arms. It felt perfect, and wonderful, and brilliant, and…

“Can you hear that buzzing?” Martha asked in annoyance, speaking about the rattle-snake noise that had made a return. She looked over to Jack, who was laid staring out the window. His smile had now gone, and he looked a little sad.

“Jack?”

He slowly drifted his gaze back on her, letting out a sigh. “That would be your mobile, on vibrate. It’s been going off since 7.” He told her. “Someone really wants to get hold of you.” He said, waiting for her reaction.

It was like Martha had forgotten. Everything suddenly came back to her, all her responsibilities, duties and promises to Eamon. She now felt only guilt as she lay in Jack’s arms, after a night together. How had she forgotten? She sat up slowly and silently, staring at the wall in front, trying to get her head around the situation. What was she going to do?

Jack watched as she sat up, the realisation of the adultery hitting her. He had wondered if she’d forgotten about Eamon when she awoke earlier, but he hadn’t wanted to remind her. He loved how everything was so perfect, just like it used to be. Reminding her that she had a fiancé would have ruined it, and maybe put her feelings about Jack aside. He had taken advantage of her not remembering when he should have reminded her, and though he had known it was wrong, he couldn’t help but enjoy it. Each time the phone rang when she slept he wondered if it’d wake her up, and then if she chose to talk to Eamon first rather than spending the morning with Jack.

He had been afraid of this happening. She was now thinking things over, making decisions and choices, and maybe even regretting the previous night.

“What are you thinking?” Jack asked her once the mobile had stopped vibrating.

Martha spun around, “I’m not quite sure at the minute.” She told him honestly, before turning back to face the wall. She still couldn’t believe what she’d done; she’d made the mess she was in even bigger. What was she going to do? Should she call off the wedding, and be with Jack; or should she end it with Jack and wed Eamon? Either way, someone was going to get hurt.

But there was another option.

Martha’s face lit up with a grin as she thought of an alternative plan; one that would please all. Sure, it wouldn’t be ideal, but it would be better than the other two choices. Jack said he loved her, so he should be able to cope with her marrying Eamon; right? She just had to persuade Eamon.

“Martha, are you regretting last night?” He asked as he sat up.

Martha turned around to him, showing him her smile. “Meet me at the docks at about 3 o’clock.” She told him, “I’m going to sort this all out.” She said confidently as she stood up, picking up her discarded dress from the floor.

Jack looked at her worryingly, unsure whether it was good or bad. “What are you sorting out?”

She smiled up at him as she pulled her dress on and fastened the zip. “Don’t look so worried. Just turn up at 3, and I’ll explain then.” She grinned, watching as a sigh of relief fall from his smiling lips. She moved around the room, picking up her shoes and bag, before rushing out the door with her mobile in hand.

Jack smiled to himself, curious but happy at her last sentence. It looked promising. Maybe things were going to go well for them after all?

Next Chapter: Will Eamon accept Martha's wants? Or will he be angry at her actions? And why is Martha rushed home?

Sorry, no more J&M for a couple of chapters. Just Martha-ness! :o But neither are that long, so... it won't be too unbearable. :P

Oh, and sorry, it's not been proof read!

Chapter 49

Martha entered the apartment, closing the door quietly behind her. She took a few deep breaths before continuing to walk through the hall way, and to the main room. Eamon was pacing back and forth, yet to see Martha, with a phone next to his ear. After a second or two of watching, Martha felt the mobile in her hand vibrate.

“Eamon,” She called softly to get his attention.

Eamon turned around to her direction, stopping his pacing and removing the phone from his ear. He returned her stare as he stood in the centre of the room, his head high and his back straight.

“I think we need to talk.” He told her, gesturing to the sofa.

Martha nodded, “me too.” She agreed as she moved to the seating.

Carefully and silently they both sat down, awkwardly looking to the floor as they waited for the other to speak.

Eamon was the first to break the silence. “I’m sorry.” He told her, “I really am. I’ve been a lousy best friend, and I really haven’t thought about you once. I do care about you, so much. I hate to think that you’re hurting, especially because of me, and I won’t continue to be so selfish. I can’t be happy if your not; I won’t marry you.” Eamon said quickly but firmly, letting out a breath of air after he’d finished.

Martha smiled, taking his hands in her own. “I’m marrying you. You’re my best friend, and I don’t want to let you down. But I love Jack, and I can’t hurt him either. Last night, as you may have guessed, we spent the night together and he told me he loved me.” She grinned. “I can’t describe just how wonderful it was to be back in his arms, to wake up with him again, to tell him I love him and to just be with him!” She exclaimed in delight, before turning serious. “I can really relate to you and Richard, and I know that this wedding means all of that and more to you guys. But, it also means all that to Jack and I, too.” She explained. “This friendship means the world to me, but it shouldn’t mean that only one of us gets to be happy. That’s not how friendships work. Both of us have to be happy, else the other one will only end up hating the other.” She told him. “And I really don’t want that.”

Eamon nodded, “Me either.” He said honestly. “That’s why we’ve got to think of a way around this. I need you to be happy, because I can’t risk losing you as a friend.”

Martha smiled. “And I think I know a way around it.” She told him proudly. “The wedding will go ahead as planned; except Jack will be in on it too. If he loves me as much as he said last night, then he’ll understand. He won’t tell anyone, Eamon. He’s a great guy.” She said with a smile.

Eamon sighed, looking down to their hands, “I don’t know if Richard will agree to that. He’s awfully paranoid.” He told her.

Martha nodded sadly, also looking down to their hands. “Oh. Okay. I’d forgotten about Richard actually.” She said disappointedly.

He watched her for a moment or two, before ripping his hands away and wafting them around. “Oh, what the hell! Screw Richard, he’ll get over it!” Eamon squealed.

Martha looked up with joy, grinning eagerly as she leant forward and squeezed her best friend. “Are you sure?” She asked him as they rocked back and forth.

Eamon broke apart from her, looking Martha in the eye as he put his hands on her shoulders.

“You’ve put Jack in front of me numerous times.” He told her, before they both began to giggle excitedly and leapt into yet another tight hug. The hugging finally stopped after a minute or so, and their bodies relaxed from the squeezing and they pulled away gently. The two of them sat smiling at one another, until Eamon spoke.

“So he told you that he loved you? And you did it in a hotel room?” Eamon said with a smirk. “Nice.” He said with approval.

Martha laughed, shaking her head at her cheeky best friend. She felt tears sparkling in her eyes, tears of happiness for the end of this mess and looking forward to her future. Her future with Jack and her best friend. It wasn’t ideal, but it was good. It was great. She was happy.

“I think you should get changed, head home, and then we’ll make a nice dinner to invite Jack over to. Unless you were thinking of going back to him now?” Eamon suggested.

Martha shook her head with a smile, “Well, I was supposed to be meeting up with him later, but I’d quite like to go and see him now. I just can’t wait to kiss him again.” She laughed, putting her hand on her head. “God, I sound like a girl.”

“Me too!” Eamon joked as they both fell into fits of laughter.

Martha stood up, only to fall back down to the sofa again to kiss Eamon on the cheek. “Did I ever tell you that I love you?” She asked with a grin.

He smiled, “Only when you want something.” He teased.

Martha laughed, standing up for the final time and scruffing up his hair. “Now I’m going to go and grab some clothes, and head down to see Jack.” She told him with a nod, before turning around and rummaging around in the suitcase. That’s when she heard the buzzing noise again.

“That’s my phone,” She sung happily, taking it from the side of the sofa and looking at the caller ID. But she was surprised at who it was.

“Peter Baker. Why the heck is he ringing me?” She asked Eamon, before shaking her head and accepting the call. She held it to her ear.

“Hey, Peter. What can I do for you?” She smiled happily down the phone.

“Martha. I understand that you’re away for the weekend at a nearby hotel. I hate to ruin your trip, but this is important. Do you think you could get to the station?” He asked.

Martha hesitated, trying to think of why he was calling. Whatever it was, it sounded really important; the tone of Peter’s voice was enough for her knees to start trembling. Martha gulped, trying to shrug off her fear.

“Um, sure,” She said. “But can you just tell me what it’s about?” She asked.

“It’d be better to just leave it for the station. I’ll go through it all with you here.” He told her.

Martha knew something was up, something wasn’t right, but she knew she could do nothing about it on the other end of the phone. She just had to get there and find out.

“Kay.” She said nervously.

“Oh, and Martha,” Peter called out. “Make sure you come with someone. Don’t come alone. But, come quickly.” He urged her once more, before ending the phone call.

Martha slowly withdrew the device from her ear, and looked at a curious Eamon.

“What’s going on? You’re as white as a ghost.” He said.

She shrugged, shaking her head to the floor. “I don’t know. But it doesn’t sound good.” She told him, “We need to get down to the station quickly. I don’t know why, but Peter doesn’t want me going alone.” She said slowly, trying to make sense of it all. “I’ll go and tell Jack-” She said, turning around quickly for the door.

Eamon dived forward, grabbing her hand. “Martha, I think now is a time to think about yourself; not Jack. He’s a big boy; he’ll meet up with you later as arranged or something. For now, I just want to get you into Summer Bay and find out what the hell’s going on.” He said sternly.

Martha nodded, sighing as she looked over to the door. He was right; Jack could wait until 3 o’clock. Now she had to head down to the station.

They both began to pack up quickly and silently; both worried at what the information at the station would be.

Next Chapter: What is Peter going to tell Martha?

Thanks to Krystal-the-freak-who-wakes-up-really-early-and-is-ready-for-school-before-6am for proofing. :) Gotta love Krys.

Loving the av zzazzb! Colleen!

Anyway, here's the chapter.. no J&M :( but I promise there will be in the next chapter. :)

Chapter 50

Martha, Eamon and Richard hurried into the busy station, their eyes flitting around the room in search of Peter.

“Martha,” Lara called out sadly from the reception desk.

Martha rushed over to her, wanting answers. “Do you know why I’m here? I feel like a right drama queen; I’ve got goose pimples!” She tried to laugh, but Lara’s face wasn’t helping.

She forced a smile with her sympathy and worry, and then looked over to Peter who had just made his entrance from his office. He wore the same expression.

Martha spun around to him, a sigh of relief falling from her lips. “We’re here!” She squeaked, trying to be jolly and cheerful. “So what’s happened?”

Peter sighed, looking to Lara, then back to Martha. He moved forward and put his hand on her shoulder, and began to guide her to his office.

“Let’s go talk in my office. I think its best if you two stay out here and get yourself a drink.” He nodded back to Eamon and Richard, who reluctantly agreed and stood still.

Martha looked back to Eamon desperately, hoping for some assurance that all would be okay. She wanted so badly for some guidance right now, other than firm Peter’s hand on her shoulder. She wanted someone to hold her hand and tell her everything would be okay. She wanted Jack to be there. He’d hold her hand through it all.

She looked up at Peter, who had just sat down on his chair opposite.

“Coffee?” He offered.

Martha shook her head, stretching her arms on her knees as she tried to keep patience. “No thanks. I think I’d prefer to just get on with it and find out what this is all about.” She told him.

He nodded understandingly. “Sure.” He agreed, leaning onto his desk, hesitating on his next words.

“Is it Ric? Has he done something?” She guessed, her impatience burning through.

Peter shook his head.

Martha thought for a moment, her eyebrows nearing each other in her concentration.

“Am I in trouble?” Her second guess went, desperately trying to find out the truth.

Peter shook his head again, staring down to the desk.

“Then what is it?” She cried, her head thumping with the ideas rolling around her brain.

The detective looked up at her sadly. “It’s Henry. He’s back.”

Martha’s eyes flashed open in surprise and panic, the surprising words ringing in her ears. Her gaze rolled around the room as she let her thoughts wrack her brain. Just the name of the man made her dizzy and her heart swell. Her healed wound on her stomach began to send a burning sensation through her body, and she could feel her hands begin to shake. The memories of that day were coming back, the day when he shot her and left her for dead; and the day when he took Jack away.

“Oh my God, Jack!” Martha exclaimed, jolting up from her chair. “Is he okay? Does he know?” She asked quickly, swallowing down her own fears. “I have to go see him, he’ll need someone with him-” She explained, turning around in a fluster.

Peter stopped her however, by holding onto her arm.

“He knows.” Peter said, “He’s always known.”

Martha stared at him, shaking her head slowly in denial. “No, he thinks Henry’s dead.” She assured him. “We only spoke about it this morning.”

Peter sighed, scratching the back of his neck to deal with his growing frustration towards Jack.

“He told me that story too, about Henry being shot dead in front of him. Sorry Martha, he was lying to us both.”

“But why would he lie?” Martha asked him.

Peter sighed, letting go of her arm. “Because if he didn’t, he’d have to go in witness protection.” He explained.

Martha looked away, feeling tears of hurt build up in her eyes. “Oh.” Was all she could say, sitting down gently on her chair. She didn’t look at Peter, for fear that he’d see right through her and spot the hurt that was so obviously being portrayed in her watery eyes, instead she was half twisted and looked to the floor.

“Why would he lie to me?” She asked quietly.

Peter sighed, his hope that she couldn’t ask that question crashing around him. As much as he was annoyed with Jack’s selfish behaviour, he didn’t want to cause problems between him and Martha. Everyone knew how much he loved her, though his recent actions contradicted it.

“I suppose it was in case you realised that you too were in trouble, with Henry being alive and all.” He said.

Martha looked up at him, confused. “I don’t understand…”

“Henry being alive endangers you too. He could use you as bait, just like he did last time. He’s after Jack, but he knows who you are. He could kill you next time.” He explained. “But if Jack had told me that Henry was still alive and that you both were in danger, then you’d both have to go into witness protection.” He finished.

Martha shook her head in disbelief. “Maybe he doesn’t know I could be in danger? Maybe he just thought only he was under threat?” She suggested.

Peter sighed, shaking his head. “Unfortunately not. I’ve believed he was lying from the start, and I’ve warned him about you being in danger.” He said regretfully, “But, he continued to lie. He knew that as long as he lied, I’d have no reason to believe Henry was alive and then I couldn’t put either of you in witness protection.”

Martha nodded, resting backwards on her chair as she staired to the floor. “That makes sense, I guess.” She mumbled in a daze, watching as her vision below blurred with tears.

He’d lied to her. He’d lied and put her in danger, just so he didn’t have to go in witness protection.

Peter watched her for a moment, before continuing with a cough. “Henry’s sent us another letter, which is why I know for definite that Jack’s been lying. And now we can move on and focus on protecting you.” He said, opening the desk draw and pulling out a pad of printed paper. He put them on the table in front of her, followed by an official police pen.

Martha dragged her vision onto them, not even attempting to read the black ink.

“What are they?” She asked.

“Witness protection papers.” Peter stated simply. “I strongly advise you to sign them and let us relocate you into a much safer environment for the time being, until Henry’s found. Then you can return.”

Martha shook her head, sitting up straight and quickly wiping the corners of her eyes rid of her tears. “I’m not signing them.” She told him sternly. “I’m not going in witness protection.”

“Why not? Martha, it’s for your own safety. You have to go in.” He told her.

Martha shook her head, “No, I don’t. You can’t make me. If Jack thinks he’s safe without witness protection, then I do too.”

“But he’s not! Neither of you are. What if Henry uses you to kill Jack, again? Could you really go through that all again? The guilt and the pain? You remember what it was like Martha, it could be all that and worse next time.” Peter told her, his last enforced word echoing through the room. He needed to get through to her; he had to get her into witness protection.

Martha put her hand to her head, feeling her throat clog with emotion and eyes fill with tears.

“I can’t take this right now. I need time to think.” She told him, trying her best to contain her tears.

Peter sighed, nodding with his hands on his hips. It was a hard decision, he could understand that, and although he knew he shouldn’t let her walk out that door he knew he had no choice. He’d heard tales from Jack about Martha and how she’d always get her own way. So Peter knew he had to let Martha handle it in her own way, and not push her into anything. He let her go and watched as she hesitated at the door, then eventually left the office.

He followed her and stood beside a confused Eamon and Richard, watching as she fled the station as she struggled with her tears. Eamon had tried to follow, but both Peter and Richard advised him not to. Instead, Peter sat both Eamon and Richard down and told them everything, and pleaded for their help in persuading Martha.

Next chapter: Who does Martha bump into?

Archived