Story Title: And Just like That - Everything Changes

Type of story: Long fic

Main Characters: Rachel, Tony, Leah, Martha, Hugo

Characters Mentioned: Undecided..

BTTB rating: A

Genre: Drama and Angst

Does story include spoilers: No

Any warnings: Nope

Summary: Rachel, Tony's thoughts following Jack's death, the rest will come in later. I've not really decided where this is going, i usually just start writing and ideas pop into my head.

So i decided to just start writing something and this is what i came up with. In this story Jack is dead but that's the only thing that's similar with the show. The way it happened etc is not important in this fic. This is just a short first chapter to see how people react to it. The rest will be longer.

This is my first ever fan fiction, hope you like it! And please comment :)

Rachel glanced at the picture and managed to smile as she ran her thumb over the faces of the people staring back at her. It was hard to believe it had only been taken a few weeks ago – Jack, Martha, Tony and herself, grinning stupidly at the camera, the four of them desirously happy. They'd had dinner together at a restaurant in the city - Rachel and Martha squealing over baby plans and Tony and Jack making serious, albeit ambitious plans to get the boat out onto the water.

That night Tony had told her he'd never felt as happy in his whole life. He had everything he ever wanted he'd said, smiling broadly as he pulled her close to him, kissing her softly on the lips. They'd even started talking wedding plans again. She'd resisted - the idea of walking down the isle with a baby bump was not exactly appealing. She found it quite tacky, getting married when pregnant and who wants to be a fat bride? Tony had laughed, saying he didn't care if she shaved her head and wore a bin bag, she'd still be the most gorgeous woman in world to him.

He just wanted them to be a family. To call her his wife would make him so proud he'd whispered to her, running his hands up and down her back and nuzzling her shoulder. The memory brought a brief smile to her face. Her heart ached.

But now Jack was gone. Just like that. It was like flicking a light switch. Suddenly your whole world comes crashing down and changes so much you can’t recognise yourself.

When they got the call they were curled up in bed together, Tony kissing her stomach as she ran her hands through his hair, the two of them laughing and talking excitedly about the future – the baby news had made them fall in love with each other all over again. They couldn’t keep their hands off each other. It was like they were both in this little bubble and it seemed nothing could burst it. He brought her breakfast in bed, called her just to tell her how much he loved her, gave her massages after long days at work and worried she was doing too much. She didn't even get annoyed at his snoring, or the way he always left his wet towels all over the floor.

Most of the time she couldn’t believe it - it was almost like a dream. She expected Jack just to walk in at any moment, with his 'Hey Rach,' and little smile that was exactly the same as his dad's. She ran her hand over her bump, tucking her legs under her and laid her head back on to the couch, reaching out with her free hand to pick up her mug of hot chocolate.

She couldn’t believe her child would never get to meet his or her older brother. It made her so desperately sad they'd never get to know how wonderful he was, never get to play cricket him or sit on his knee while he told them stories. She squeezed her eyes shut and tried to blink back the tears that were slowly starting to slide down her face. She wanted Tony back. She had no idea where he kept disappearing too. Some days the gym would be closed all afternoon. When she questioned him he'd just shrug and say he needed air. He'd stopped answering his phone, stopped listening. Most of the time she felt he was away in a different place, a place that she was now no longer a part of.

It worried her, terrified her to the extent she was finding it difficult to cope at work. That was something new for her. The hospital had always been a place for her to escape, where she could pretend nothing else was going on in her world outside and everything was fine. But now she barely made it half way through her shift without having to lock herself away so she could pull herself together. She knew she had to be strong for him. She didn't want him to see her cry. He didn't need that on top of everything else. And poor Leah. She'd cried on her shoulder so many times. Bless her, Leah just held her while she cried so much her t-shirt's soaked through. She was an incredible friend. Rachel was at a loss without her.

She wrapped her hands around the mug and pulled it close, hoping to eject some warmth into her body. She was freezing, despite it being the middle of summer. She quickly checked her watch. 1 am. He still wasn’t home. She let the tears fall freely, swallowing the lump in her throat. She held her phone to her ear – praying for a dial tone she knew deep down would never come.

It went straight to voicemail. Hearing his voice, his cheerful ‘Hey it’s Tony, leave a message,’ made her body shake as her sobs became louder. She put her mug on the table and wrapped her arms around herself, throwing her phone across the room. More than anything she wanted to throw her arms around him, pull him close and tell him everything was going to be okay, that she loved him and she’d cope with whatever it was he wasn’t telling her. She wished she could take his pain away, even just for a few seconds, giving him relief from the heartache that engulfed him. She just wanted to be close to him again. She missed him so much it physically hurt.

It broke her heart he couldn’t talk to her. She saw his pain every time she looked into his eyes - his beautiful sparkly eyes that even now made her feel all tingly when she stared into them. It was like something inside him was broken and was impossible to fix. He tried. He tried so hard to smile for her, to ask her how her day had been, if she was feeling ok, to kiss her goodbye. But her Tony was gone. And she was petrified she’d never get him back.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow everyone, thanks so much for the comments. They mean a lot to me :) Thanks for being so lovely and positive, i'm really glad you like it.

Tony stared at the ocean, watching the wave’s crash onto the beach. It was so quiet. Peaceful. He closed his eyes, running his hands over the sand, picking it up and letting it fall through his fingers. It felt like he was living in a nightmare. He couldn’t comprehend he’d never see his son again. Little Jack – his first born child. It was too much to bear. Over and over in his head he’d question what he had done to deserve this. You’re supposed to protect your kids and he’d failed. He wished he had the answers. He had no idea how long he’d been sitting there. After running out of the gym shortly after lunch, he’d wandered along the beach, not really paying attention to where he was going. He felt like he was going to suffocate if he’d stayed there any longer. He couldn’t stand seeing people running on the treadmill, doing sit up’s or lifting weights as if that was all that matters.

He didn’t want to talk to anyone. That would make it seem all the more real. In a strange sort of way, keeping quiet was a way of pretending everything was okay. He was so terrified if he started to talk then he’d have to accept it and he’d lose Jack forever. He lived for those few precious moments when he first woke up in the morning and for a few blissful seconds before reality hit, everything was normal. In that world Jack and Martha were next door. Making breakfast together with Marta telling Jack to have a good day at work and to be careful. Rachel was lying sleeping in his arms. He always woke before she did. He loved the minuets before the alarm went off where he’d just watch her sleep and listen to her steady breathing. She always slept with a little half smile on her face, one of the little things he adored. But then suddenly it would hit him so hard it was like his heart was breaking in too. Every morning it was the same awful cycle.

The sun started to rise over the horizon, and he heard the gentle chirping of the birds flying near by. It startled him when he realised he’d been there for over sixteen hours. A mockingbird flew over head before landing on the branch of a tree directly above his head. The bird for sorrow. In some strange way it comforted him. It was so quiet he could hear the leaves gently blowing in the breeze. Somewhere in the distance, he heard a car engine start. It seemed wrong to him, almost, that people were going about their daily lives as if nothing had changed.

He pulled his legs up towards him causing his phone to slip out of his pocket. He was cold – his work uniform did not exactly provide any extra warmth. He stared at the little metal object in his hand, amazed that something so small had the power to do so much damage. That’s all it took. One little phone call. It had taken a few days for the shock to wear off. The funeral passed by in a haze. It was difficult to remember what had been said, or any of the faces of the hundreds of people who’d packed into the tiny church to say goodbye to his precious son. It was Martha he saw when he closed his eyes. Her frail, limp body, shadowed by Alf as he held her during the service. He remembered the red tie worn by one of the guests and thought it a strange colour to wear to a funeral. The blue lining on the chairs and the chicken salad sandwiches he ate afterwards stood out in his mind. But he couldn’t remember laying Jack’s coffin into the ground, or the way Rachel gently squeezed his hand when he was talking about his child and fighting to hold it together. The last thing he had wanted was to disappoint Jack by breaking down.

The phone slipped out of his hands and fell silently onto the sand. He didn’t want to turn it on. He knew there’d be dozens of messages from Rachel, her voice getting more and more panicked and worried as they went on. He didn’t want to deal with that right now. He hated what he was doing to her. More than anything he wanted to talk to her, to tell her how he was feeling and fall into her arms. But he couldn’t. He saw the hurt in her eyes and it killed him. He’d found the travel book tucked under her doctors bag – with numbers of dozens of youth hostels in Northern India circled. It broke his heart she was trying to do this for him. He desperately wanted too, needed too talk to Lucas. He was his last link to Jack.

Sometimes he felt so angry. He’d lost so many loves in his life. Kate, Beth, Jack. People didn’t deserve to lose so much. Losing Beth nearly destroyed him. But then Rachel came along, with her zest for life and beaming smile. She made him believe in love again. He loved her so much. The way she got so excited over the little things in life, her empathy for others, how fiercely loyal she was to her friends, her passion and dedication for her job – he couldn’t believe she’d chosen to spend her life with him. Of course she drove him crazy sometimes. Her terrible cooking for starters – and her insistence she was always right. The way she never let the little things go and how she seemed determined to prove to everyone she was an incredibly strong woman when deep down it was more of an act than anything else. But it was those imperfections that made him fall in love with her. He thought of her now, wondered what she was doing. He knew he had to go home. Standing up, he brushed the sand from his shorts and pushed his phone deep into his pocket. Exhausted, he started to make his way home.

Aww guys thanks so much, you have no idea how much your comments mean to me :D I'm really having fun writing this and hope you are having fun reading it too!!

Tony slowly opened the door, trying not to make any noise. The living room was flooded with light by the early morning sunshine. He closed the door carefully, making his way over to the couch where Rachel lay curled up, her eyes covered by her hair. Kneeling down beside her, he gently stroked her arm, using his other hand to push her curls out of her eyes and tuck them behind her ear. She looked exhausted. Around him, his eyes glazed over the small pile of disregarded tissues and the half drunk mug of hot chocolate.

“Rach,” he whispered. She stirred, and opened her eyes. For a moment she looked confused, as she pulled herself up into a sitting position, pushing her hair back as she did so.

“What time is it? Where have you been…Tony…,” her voice trailed off.

Tony sat down on the couch next to her, as she turned her body around to face him.

“I just needed some space Rach. I just, I don’t know, I wanted to be alone.”

Rachel swallowed and gazed down at her hands, playing with her engagement ring. “That’s okay, really, but Tony, I wish you’d talk to me….i don’t know what to do anymore, you’ve hardly said two words to me since…since what happened. I just want to be there for you."

Tony reached for her right hand and gently placed his over it. He wished he could tell her how amazing she was being through this, and even just her being there was enough to give him a tiny bit of comfort. “Rach, sometimes I don’t want to open up, I don’t know, maybe I if do I’m scared I’ll never stop and then It’ll be real. It’s just not fair. He shook his head sadly. “ I can’t deal with being around people, seeing them all happy and going about their lives, when Jack will never….” He stopped and closed his eyes, looking up to the ceiling. “I just need to deal with this alone sometimes…hurting you is the last thing I want to do.”

Rachel sighed. “I understand that, I really do. I know how difficult this is for you, but please, try to understand how I feel when you disappear all night and you don’t answer your phone. It really hurts….you didn’t think I’d be worried? I thought something had happened to you.”

“I’m sorry,” he said softly, looking down at his hands as he fiddled with the zip on the cushion. “I just don’t know what to do anymore Rach. I hate feeling like that, having to drag myself through each day, feeling like I have nothing left to give. You’re not supposed to bury you kids Rach, that’s not how it works.” He let out an exasperated cry and buried his head in his hands, looking down at his bare knees.

Rachel felt her eyes starting to well up again. She gently squeezed his shoulder and shifted her body closer to him.

“Come here,” she whispered, putting her arms around him and pulling him towards her.

For the first time since Jack’s death, Tony allowed himself to be comforted by her. He buried his head in her shoulder and finally the tears he’d been holding back started to fall.

Martha leaned against the front door, the sweat pouring off her face. She pushed her hair back and let herself in the front door, collapsing on the floor in exhaustion.

“You were up early,” Hugo commented as he emerged from his bedroom, yawning and rubbing sleep from his eyes.

“I woke up around 5 and couldn’t get back to sleep, so thought I’d go for a run,” Martha said as she stood up and made her way over to the fridge for a bottle of water.

Hugo smiled. It was good to see her looking so positive. It was only recently she’d started leaving the house, started to show an interest in going to the diner for coffee, or heading into Yabby Creek to do some shopping. Her cheeks were beginning to get back to a rosy glow, and even her walk looked more hopeful.

“Fancy some eggs for breakie?” Marta grinned at Hugo. “I think I deserve it after all that work I did this morning.”

“Sounds great,” Hugo sat down at the table. “Thanks.”

“You don’t really think I’m making it do you?” Martha placed the eggs in front of Hugo, smirking at him. “I’m going for a shower, and you, rommie, can whip us up some eggs.” With that, Martha flounced out of the room.

“VJ, will you hurry up you’re going to be late for school!” Leah yelled in frustration as she shoved his lunch box into his school bag. “VJ,” she screamed. She couldn’t for the life of her understand why it took an 8 year old boy so long to get ready in the mornings. She spun around with the bag in her hands, shrieking in dismay as a full glass or orange juice fell to the floor. Muttering under her breath she bent down to clean it up just as VJ came running into the kitchen.

“I need a pirate uniform,” he announced, looking at Leah as if he expected her to magically pull one out of the cupboard.

“And where do you think we’re going to get one at this hour?” she sighed. “It’s too late, why didn’t you tell me sooner, sometimes VJ I don’t know what to do with you.”

Leah and VJ walked to the car, VJ hanging his head and whinging about how everyone was going to tease him and laugh because he didn’t have his costume. Leah eased herself into the driver’s seat before taking a moment to collect herself. She could hardly recognise herself these days. She missed Dan. She couldn’t believe it had been over a year since his death. Sometimes she got scared when she couldn’t remember his voice, or the exact colour of his eyes. He was slowly starting to fade away and that terrified her.

********************************************************************************

“Oh my God he didn’t!” Martha laughed out loud as Hugo told her another story about Jack. “I don’t believe it,” she wiped away the tears from her eyes, bending over in laughter and holding her stomach. Hugo put down his fork and joined in, rejoicing in hearing Martha laugh for the first time since Jack’s death.

Aww thanks so much everyone for the lovely comments again! You have no idea how much it means to me that you like my fic. Here's the next part. Please let me know if you want more cos right now i'm not sure where it's going to end up!

Thanks again. :):wub: I'm genuinely touched.

Martha hummed along to the radio as she rinsed the breakfast dishes. That was the rule Hugo said, he cooked so she had to wash up. It was nice getting back to a sense of normality, whatever that was. Sometimes she felt like she wasn’t really living, but just doing things to make the day pass. It was slowly dawning on her that Jack was never coming back.

That part of her life was over and no matter how much she cried, ranted, begged and howled – it wouldn’t make the slightest bit of difference. At times she was so exhausted and consumed thinking about it she’d just lose the will to do anything. She looked out of the window, smiling at the sight of Hugo sitting on the table reading the paper. She found herself laughing at how serious he looked, holding the paper up and out in front of him, and leaning back with his legs crossed.

She let her hands rest in the warm soapy water for a second, gently moving the glass she was washing around. She closed her eyes. For a few seconds she didn’t realise what was playing on the radio. It was on quietly, something just to make the house less silent. As it reached the chorus, it all came flooding back to her. She gasped, dropped the glass she was holding and allowing it to smash to the floor. Cursing herself, she bent down to pick up the tiny pieces of glass, letting out a yelp when she cut her little finger. Their wedding song. Aerosmith. I don’t want to miss a thing. She brushed away a tear from the corner of her eye and stood up. It was the most perfect day.

She managed to smile as she remembered the horrified look on Rachel’s face when Jack called her mum. She made him promise never to call her that again, and Jack had just laughed and led her away to dance, telling her she’d soon be the hottest step-mum in Summer Bay. Everyone had just been so happy. Sighing she forced herself to stop torturing her mind with thoughts of the wedding. No good would come of it – it was too soon for that. She opened the drawer to get a plaster for her finger - small drops of blood had started to drop onto to counter. She slammed the drawer shut harder than she intended. She leaned against the counter and cried quietly.

********************************************************************************

“Tony stop it, please, not right now”, Rachel said giggling as he came up behind her and placed little kisses on her neck.

“I really need to get this work done for the hospital by tomorrow; otherwise I’ll be in trouble.”

He wrapped his arms around her middle and slipped his hands under her top, resting them on her bare stomach. “Do it later,” he said, leaning down to kiss her shoulder. “I’ve not seen you all day, I’ve missed you.”

He ran his hands up and down her stomach as she closed her eyes and fell back into him, putting her hands on top of his.

“You’re beautiful,” he whispered, nibbling her neck.

She smiled to herself and sighed deeply. He was just the sweetest guy. She could never resist him when he was like this, which was often, luckily for her.

“Ok you win,” she whispered as she turned around to face him, wrapping her arms around his neck and reaching up to kiss him on the lips.

“It doesn’t take much does it?” Tony said laughing as he pulled her closer. He gazed into her eyes, gently stroking her cheek with his thumb. “I love you so much,” he said, placing another kiss on her lips.

Rachel grabbed his shirt pulling him closer as he tightened his grip on her. “Hmmmm, I love you too”, she breathed as she leaned in for another kiss.

Rachel opened her eyes. She’d been dreaming. She remembered that night 4 months previously. She never forget the night their baby had been conceived. She gazed at Tony lying next to her, curled up on his side, his arm loosely wrapped around her waist. After he’d broken down earlier than morning, they’d both become so overcome with tiredness they’d retreated to their bedroom to try and sleep. She ran her hand up and down his arm. She was so relieved he’d started talking to her. Even though it was just baby steps right now, it was a step in the right direction.

Tony groaned as the strong afternoon sun hit him in the eyes. He struggled to remember why he was in bed in the middle of the afternoon, still in his clothes. He gazed up at the ceiling, closing his eyes and sighing deeply. He could hear footsteps in the kitchen and Rachel’s voice gently singing along to the radio. He suppressed a laugh – he was always teasing her about her terrible singing. It suddenly occurred to him he felt hungry. He couldn’t even remember the last time he ate something, or actually felt like having a meal.

He thought about asking Rachel if she wanted to go out for dinner somewhere in Yabbie Creek. It’d be so long since they’d done that. He found himself actually wanting too, for the first time since Jack had died. He smiled sadly. It was slowly starting to sink in that he was gone forever – and he was just too exhausted to go on pretending everything was going to be fine. Finally talking to Rachel had lifted a huge weight off his shoulders. Acceptance was hard. But he knew he had so much to live for. And that Jack wouldn’t want him to carry on like this.

It was hard to believe it had been over two months. For the most part they’d passed by in a haze. Days rolled into one. He hadn’t noticed the leaves changing colour, the new equipment at the gym, the pretty bed covers Rachel had bought - life had been going on without him. He’d wanted to cry when he saw Rachel with her hands running over her bump; he hadn’t even noticed it on her. His baby. Part of him, and also of the woman he loved. Jack was in there too, somewhere he was sure of it. And that made him smile, and although tears fell slowly down his face, he was no longer in pain.

• 1 month later...

Ok i finally decided to update!! Sorry it's been so long.

This chapter is reallly light and fluffy, and probably a bit boring. I've had a stressful few weeks at Uni and stuff, and just wanted to write something fun and drama free. But it'll come in the next chapter i promise :)

This is set 2 months from the end of the last chapter.

Rachel pulled at the cord of the oversized dressing gown, wrapping it tightly around her body. She made her way into the kitchen, pausing briefly to glance at her reflection in the mirror. She couldn’t believe how big she was getting. Her stomach stuck so far out now she couldn’t see her feet. She pulled her hair up into a knot at the back of her head, sending little drips of water down her back. She smiled at herself in the mirror, unable to stop the little tingles of excitement bubbling up inside her. She padded into the kitchen, enjoying the complete silence in the house. It was a beautiful morning. The sun streamed in through the windows, flooding the living room with bright light.

She switched the kettle on, wishing she could have a glass of champagne instead. A morning cup of tea was hardly a way to celebrate your wedding. For the briefest moment she considered having a tiny glass but the niggling voice in her head stopped her. She always told her patients to completely avoid alcohol and she did not want to be hypocritical. Suddenly the baby let out a massive kick, as if reminding Rachel it was here. Laughing, she rubbed her bump. She turned around as she heard the door clicking open.

‘Rach!’ Leah squealed as she bounded into the house and enveloped her friend in a massive hug. ‘How are you feeling?’

‘Excited, a little nervous,’ Rachel admitted. ‘I just can’t believe we’re finally doing it you know, after everything that’s happened. Sometimes I didn’t think I’d see this day. I keep expecting something to go wrong.’

Leah smile as she rubbed Rachel’s arm.

‘It’s all going to be fine,’ she said reassuringly. ‘You’re marrying a wonderful man who adores you. Everything is going to be perfect, you’ll see. Besides, it’s my job to worry about all the little details. All you have to do is enjoy yourself. And that’s an order okay?’

Rachel nodded in agreement as she placed two cups on tea on the table. ‘Actually Leah, there’s something I’ve been wanting to ask you.’

‘Hmm,’ Leah sipped her tea and glanced at Rachel, a quizzical look on her face.

‘I know I said I didn’t mind not having anyone to give me away, with everything that’s happened it’s just not something I’ve really thought about. I don’t know, maybe somewhere in the back of my mind I hoped Brad would be able to come and I’d have at least one family member there.’ Rachel paused, untying her hair sending it cascading down her back in loose curls.

‘But I don’t want to walk down the isle alone,’ she continued, her voice getting higher as she tried to stop the onset of tears. ‘So I was hoping you would, you know, walk with me?’

‘Me?’ Leah asked, shocked. She was a little bit stunned, and surprised.

‘You’re my best friend Leah, since we were little. You’ve been there for me through everything and honestly, I don’t know what I’d do without you. I love you. You’re more like family to me than my biological one. Please, I’d really love it if you did. I know it’s a little unconventional, but hey, it’s my wedding, as you said. And you have to do as I say, ok?’ Rachel let out a half laugh, half cry as she turned towards her friend.

Leah stood up and walked towards Rachel, wiping away the tears from her eyes. She kissed Rachel’s forehead as she wrapped her arms around her shoulders. ‘I’d be honoured,’ she said.

Tony fastened the top button of his shirt and ran his hands down the front, smoothing it out.

‘Looking good Uncle T,’ Hugo grinned as he slapped Tony on the back.

‘You sure?’ Tony asked, sounding slightly worried. He pulled at his tie. He didn’t know why he felt so nervous. He just couldn’t wait to marry her. To stand beside her and promise to love her for the rest of their lives. His heart tingled as it always did when he thought of her. He actually missed her. It had felt strange going to bed the night before without her lying next to him. He fastened his cufflinks, his fingers shaking slightly as he did so. They belonged to Jack. Tony knew it felt silly, but by wearing them in a way it was like Jack was going to be there with him, as his best man. That’s how it should have been, he thought sadly. But he’d reached a stage now where he could talk about Jack and actually be happy. Hell, he was happy. And he no longer felt guilty for waking up with a smile on his face.

‘Oh my God, Rach, you look beautiful,’ Leah smiled broadly as Rachel walked out of her bedroom. Her hair was loose and fell around her back and shoulders in tight, corkscrew curls. They’d put flowers in it to match her bouquet. Leah could see the tension on her friends face. She so badly wanted everything to go right for her today. If anyone deserved it, Rach did. Leah had been moved to tears when she’d asked her to give her away.

Rachel stood nervously in front of Leah, a worried expression on her face. She glanced down at her dress, running her hands over her bump. It was white and strapless and fell straight down to the floor, the silky material showing off her figure and bump to its best.

‘Now do you have your something old, new, something borrowed and something blue?’ Leah asked seriously. ‘Wait, I gave you the bracelet right?’

‘Yup, thanks honey, so that’s my something borrowed. My dress is the something new; my something blue is for Tony’s eyes’ only,’ Rachel winked at Leah, who laughed.

‘Good girl, that’s what I like to hear. And your something old?’

‘This was my mum’s,’ Rachel said, touching the silver diamond necklace around her neck. At the mention of her mum, Rachel started to well up.

She let out a sudden cry. ‘I wish mum was here,’ she almost whispered. ‘She would have loved Tony.’

Leah squeezed her hand. ‘I know. I know it’s corny to say, but she’ll be there, with you, always Rach.’

‘I know,’ Rachel let out a sigh. ‘I’m just being silly and emotional. Ever since I got pregnant I cry at the drop of a hat! Now are you sure this dress doesn’t make me look too fat?’

‘Sweetie, you’re pregnant, not fat! And you look totally gorgeous. Tony is not going to be able to resist. Now come on, the car’s here, let’s go. I think we’re running just late enough to be acceptable.’ Leah reached out for Rachel’s hand.

‘Ok,’ Rachel smiled, feeling the goose bumps on her arms. ‘I’m getting married, oh my God.’

'Yup, you are.' Leah grinned as she and Rachel hugged.

They were half way to the car before Rachel realised she’d forgotten her flowers.

‘Wait,’ she instructed. ‘I’ll be right back.’ Rachel quickly made her way to the house, cursing under her breath. She hoped it wasn’t a bad sign already.

She picked them up from the table in the kitchen, where they lay in amongst all the make up and hair curlers they’d been using. She heard footsteps coming up behind her.

‘I’m coming,’ she said as she spun around, assuming they belonged to Leah.

‘Hello, Rachel,’ the figure said as they stepped out of the shadows caused by the sun.

Rachel cried out, dropped her flowers in shock.

Thank you so much everyone!! Your comments mean the world to me, they really do, so keep them coming :lol: Honestly, i reallly apperciate it. So thanks very much :wub:

‘Oh my God what are you doing here? How did you……why are you……what do you…my wedding. I need to sit down.’ Rachel said in a panic.

She felt dizzy. She gripped the kitchen table with her trembling hands, her knuckles tuning white and lowered herself into a chair.

‘This can’t be happening,’ she whispered, holding her head in her hands.

‘Rachel, I know my timing couldn’t be more awful, but I just had to see you. I need to tell you something, Rachel I made a mis…’

‘No!’ she screamed, cutting him off. ‘No, I don’t want to hear it. You need to leave. Now. I’m not interested. I’m supposed to be getting married. I want to get married.’ She whimpered the last part, her heart breaking at the thought of missing it again. She thought of him, waiting for her, wondering, in his suit, his eyes searching for her, thinking she’d left again. It was too much for her to bear.

She was crying now, mascara smudged tears streaming down her face. She took deep breaths, trying to calm her self down. He walked towards her, reaching for her, touching her arm, trying to pull her towards him.

‘Rach,’ he said softly. ‘Please,’ he looked into her eyes, pleading with her to give him a chance.

She stood up abruptly and pushed him, causing him to stumble backwards.

‘Go away,’ she said coldly. ‘I never want to see you again, you understand me? I’m going to get married and you’re not going to spoil this for me, I won’t let you.’ She spoke with determination, her voice only quivering slightly.

She walked quickly towards the door, praying her make up was not too badly ruined.

‘There you are,’ Leah exclaimed as she entered the house. ‘I wondered where on earth you were, did you find the flow...’ Her voice trailed off as she looked at her best friends face. ‘Oh my God,’ Leah stared at Rachel, a horrified look on her face.

‘Kim. What the hell are you doing here? Rachel?’ Leah looking at her quizzically, unable to get her head around seeing him, standing there with his hands in his jean pockets, looking the same as he did when he left the Bay 2 years previously. His blond hair flopped into his eyes. He was clean shaven, and wearing a simple dark blue stripped shirt.

‘He’s leaving,’ Rachel said, clearing her throat. ‘I told him I’m not interested in what he has to say. I’m going to marry Tony and that’s the end of it.’ She forced a smile, and made her way out of the door, leaving Leah standing there bewildered.

‘Come on,’ Rachel insisted, turning to look for Leah.

Kim moved quickly, putting himself between them. He grabbed Rachel’s hand, pulling her towards him. He gripped her wrist, forcing her to face him.

‘Let me go,’ she squirmed, trying to free her-self from his grasp. Kim held her tightly.

‘I can’t let you go until I tell you what I came here to tell you,’ Kim said quickly. ‘If I don’t tell you then I’m going to spend my whole life wondering what could have been, waiting for something I’m never going to get again. And I have to take this chance.’ He paused. He pulled her closer, and looked deep into her eyes. Her beautiful hazel eyes. The same eyes that had promised to love him for eternity, that he’d shared so many secrets with, so many fun times, so many 'i love you's.'

‘Rachel I love you. I’ve loved you from the moment I walked into your office. From out first kiss, the first time we slept together, our wedding, you’re all I’ve ever wanted. Leaving you was the biggest mistake I’ve ever made. It was all so easy with Kit. I was confused. I thought I should love her because she’s the mother of my son – but I realise now I just forced myself because I thought it was the right thing to do. You and I, Rach, we were amazing together. What we had, Rach. I got scared. It was so intense. And you, you were this amazing woman, i felt left behind by you. But I know we can make it work Rach, I…’

‘Have you heard youself?’ Leah spat. ‘You’re pathetic. This is her wedding day, and you think it’s okay to turn up and say you love her and that everything will be fine? How dare you.’ She stared at him, a cold, hard look on her face.

‘I’m not going to let you ruin her life again. If you love her as much as you say you do you wouldn’t be doing this. Rach, come on.’ Leah gently put her arm around Rachel’s back, trying to pry her away from Kim’s hands.

‘Let her talk dammit,’ Kim yelled, walking backwards and taking Rachel with him, casing her to fall into his chest. He wrapped his arms around her, pulling her tightly to him.

‘No, no, no,’ Rachel desperately tried to break free. ‘Kim, stop it. Please, just let me go. I want to be with Tony.’ She looked into Kim’s eyes, the sparkly blue eyes that used to make her heart melt and her legs turn to jelly.

‘I don’t love you,’ she said firmly. ‘I gave up my career for you, Kim. My life. And you repaid me my breaking my heart. You had a baby with another woman when we were together. You left me for her. You hurt me. And I can’t believe you’re doing the same to her. I never thought I’d hear myself say this but Kit doesn’t deserve this. You don’t deserve her. I don’t want to be with you Kim. We never should have gotten married. What we had was destructive. It was never going to work.' She smiled sadly.

‘I did love you – I loved you so much,’ she admitted. ‘But now I don’t. I’m sorry. Love changes. People change. I’m not the same person I was when I was with you. I don’t regret what we had because it made me who I am today, but that part of my life, our life,’ she stressed, ‘is over.’

‘I want to be with Tony. I love him. Oh God, I love him so much. And he’s waiting for me at the alter right now thinking God knows what,’ she chocked back the tears that were beginning to fall again. Kim slowly stepped back, dropping his hands by his side.

‘I think you’d better go,’ Leah said sternly. ‘Out the back. And don’t you dare come anywhere near the wedding, do you hear me? Or near the Bay again. Go and sort things with Kit, or have you forgotten her already? Think of Archie,' Leah said, a little more kindly. 'He needs his dad. You made the decision Kim - now you have to live with it.'

Kim walked away slowly, turning to look at Rachel one last time.

‘I’m sorry, for everything. Have a happy life.’ And with that he was gone, slamming the door as he left.

Rach, sweetie, are you ok?’ Leah placed her hand on the small of Rachel's back.

‘Yes,’ Rachel smiled and nodded, squeezing her eyes shut to prevent any more tears. ‘I just want to get married,’ she said. ‘More than anything in this world. He’s going to think I’ve left again,’ her voice started to wobble. ‘Oh Leah,’ she looked at her friend in anguish.

‘It’s all going to be fine,’ Leah insisted, a little too cheerfully. ‘I’ll call and explain we’re on our way, some dress emergency or something – wait – do you want me to tell Tony about Kim?’

‘No, absolutely not. I mean I will tell him, I have too, of course, but not right now. I don’t want too, I can’t spoil this day. I won’t let that happen. I’m fine. Really. I just want to be his wife Leah, that’s all I want and I’ve never been more certain.’

‘You’re amazing, you know that,’ Leah kissed her on the check. ‘I’ll call Hugo right now. You need to go and sort out your face, and no more tears until you’re up there okay?’

‘You got it,’ Rachel smiled and made her way to the bathroom.

Tony glanced at his watch. She was late. He didn’t know what to think. He couldn’t comprehend her not turning up. Something must have happened. He looked around at the crowd, waiting impatiently. He heard the murmurs. The whispers. He hated the thought that they were all talking about him. Poor pathetic Tony. Left at the alter. Again. No, he couldn’t think that. He knew Rachel. Knew she loved him. They were having a baby together for goodness sake. He forced himself to stop thinking negative thoughts. He so wanted her to turn up. He needed her. He hated himself for how he’d treated her the past couple of months. He was ashamed and sometimes he still couldn’t believe she’d stuck by him, not once asking for an apology. And now, where was she. He tried to call her. He felt a little sick with worry. He knew she would turn up. He’d convinced himself. She had too. It had only been 20 minutes or so.

He glanced around him. Martha was standing glazing out to the ocean, her pale pink dress blowing around her ankles. Hugo was pacing back and forth, checking his phone every couple of minutes. Xavier and Ruby were sitting at the back, kissing and giggling to each other.

It was all so beautiful. They’d chosen to get married on a cliff top, over looking the beach. He could hear the waves crashing below him and the gently hum of the seagulls overheard. It was almost time for the sun to set, and the sky was turning a gorgeous shade of pink.

A white carpet was laid out, with chairs at either side. He stood under a white marquee that crated an archway for them to be married under. White, yellow, pink and blue flowers were scattered everywhere.

‘I’m sure she’s just been held up, some drama to do with her shoes or something,’ Alf said, trying to laugh as he patted Tony on the back. ‘You know what shelia’s are like.’

‘Yes,’ he laughed nervously. ‘I’m sure it’s just something to do with her hair or something.’

Alf nodded and smiled, trying to reassure him. But even he felt a little uncertain.

Suddenly, Hugo practically ran tuned towards them, a big smile on his face.

‘Finally got in touch with Leah, it’s all fine, they’re on their way. Some girly drama I know nothing about apparently.’ Hugo laughed.

‘No need to look so worried, Uncle T,’ Hugo hugged Tony, patting him on the back.

Tony sighed with relief. He beamed, as he stood there waiting for his bride.

Originally it was going to be her dad, but so many of you gussed i decided to change it to Kim. :wink: I hope it was a surprise. And thanks again for all your wonderful support!! :D:wub:

Hehe ok Hattie this is just for you :) i stayed up late so sorry if the ending is a bit crappy, it's 2.30 and i came home with my brain full of annoying cinema customers :lol:

‘Rach are you sure you want to do this?’ Leah asked as the car pulled up next to the wedding venue.

‘It’s totally fine if you don’t.’

They were both in the back seat, sitting close to each other, Leah trying to offer some kind of reassurance to her best friend. She crossed her legs, moving her body towards Rachel’s. She pulled at the pale pink strap of her dress, which had slipped down her shoulder.

She took hold of Rachel’s hand and gently squeezed it. ‘Tony would understand, after everything that’s happened. You’ve been through this huge emotional ordeal.’

‘Leah I’m not going to walk out on my wedding. I’m a little shaken up but I know what I want.’

She sighed deeply and glanced out of the window. The sun had just started to set, leaving the sky a vivid shade of orange and pink. Rachel opened the door and stepped outside, her shoes making a crunching noise as she stepped on the gravel. The cool evening breeze sent a shiver down her spine. She closed her eyes for a second and stood still, trying to stop the erratic beating of her heart that had been plaguing her since she’d seen her ex husband. Taking deep breaths, she opened her eyes and saw Tony in the distance, standing with his arms by his side, talking to Hugo. As she stared he looked up, almost like he was seeking her out. Before she realised what she was doing her hand was in the air and she gave him a little wave. It took him a few seconds to respond – he probably didn’t understand what the hell she was doing – but he waved back. At that very moment, a feeling of calm washed over her. She knew she’d made the right decision. Her knees buckled with relief. She leaned against the car and sighed. It was as if a great weight had been lifted from her shoulders.

‘Ready?’ Leah held out her arm.

‘You bet ya,’ Rachel beamed as they linked arms and walked towards the man who was to be her new husband.

Kim pushed his toes into the sand, and ran his hands through his hair. He gazed out at the ocean, wondering how he’d managed to mess his life up so badly. He didn’t know where Kit was. After another fight she’d left, taking Archie with her. She couldn’t cope anymore she’d said, as she angrily stuffed her clothes into an old brown duffle bag. He’d stood there watching, not knowing what to say or do. Archie had been sitting on her hip, playing with a stuffed kangaroo that made a noise when you pressed its belly. He giggled away to himself, oblivious to the disaster that was all around him.

He took another swing of whisky, wincing as it burned his throat. It had started out as a couple of beers after work. Just some down time with his mates in the pub. Living in the city was so expensive. Kit didn’t realise how much trouble they were in. Personal trainers didn’t exactly make a fortune – certainly not enough to keep Kit and Archie up to date with the other mum’s and toddlers at the playgroup Kit went too. She had flipped out when he’d suggested she maybe look for a part time job. She had ranted and raved about how looking after Archie was more hard work than he would ever realise. He cried out in frustration, throwing handfuls of wet sand into the distance.

He didn’t know what he expected. Deep down he knew he’d never get Rachel back. But he’d thought it was worth a shot. If had been so good, and if only he could have forced her to remember that. He stood up, determined. He needed to try again. He didn’t care if he failed. Didn’t care if he walked away with the whole town hating him – Rachel hating him. He couldn’t give up on her when he had nothing else to loose.

‘Hey,’ Tony whispered as Rachel stood before him, smiling shyly. He took her hands in his, and gently kissed her on the lips. He knew it wasn’t the right time but he didn’t care. He couldn’t help himself.

The ceremony was short and sweet. They wrote their own vows, keeping them simple and to the point. They didn’t need to declare their undying love; they knew how much they meant to each-other. They stood close, facing each other, and feeling like they were the only two people in the whole world. For those 15 minutes it was as if no one else existed. After swapping simple white gold rings, they exchanged vows.

‘Rachel, we started off as friends, and now I’m more in love with you than I ever thought was possible. Falling in love with you has been an amazing journey and I can’t wait to be your husband. You’re my best friend, my lover and my inspiration. You’re an amazing, incredible woman and I can’t believe you’ve chosen me to spend your life with. I promise I’ll love you until my last breath, and it’s my wish to make you eternally happy.’

Tony gazed into her eyes, rubbing his thumbs over her hands. Rachel attempted to blink away the tears that were slowly starting to fall.

‘See, this is why you shouldn’t get married when you’re pregnant,’ she whispered, half laughing, half crying. Tony gently wiped a tear from her eye with his thumb. He smiled and nodded at her reassuringly.

‘Tony, I…oh my God.’ She took a deep breath. ‘Tony, you’re the most amazing wonderful man. I am so in love with you and I can’t wait to spend my life as your wife. You make me the person who I am. I’m so incredibly happy when I’m with you and I can’t wait to begin our journey.’

After being pronounced man and wife, they kissed, maybe a little more than they should have in front of so many people. But they didn’t care. Rachel thought she was going to burst from happiness. She pulled him close, wrapping her arms around his neck as he placed his in her hair and back, wanting to hold her as close as he possibly could. They walked down the aisle to applause and collective aww's from their friends and family. He held her bump as they made their way to the marquee, feeling their little baby move and kick, as if it was celebrating as well. Their symbol of their love.

Rachel snuggled her head into her new husband’s chest as they swayed to the music. She sighed happily, slowly rubbing her hands up and down his back. He kissed the top of her head and pulled her tight.

‘I love you Mrs Holden,’ he said, bending down to whisper in her ear. She turned her head and beamed at him, staring into his eyes.

‘I love you too Mr Holden,’ she said, leaning up to kiss him on the lips.

Martha gulped down another glass of wine, enjoying the feeling of the cold liquid running down her throat. She wasn’t having fun. God, she was happy for Tony and Rachel. She really was. But her heart ached for Jack. People lied when they said things got better in time. They didn’t. Every day she missed him more and more. Especially on occasions like these. Looking at happy couples made her feel slightly nauseas. She couldn’t keep her eyes off the bride and groom. They had barley let go of each other all night. They’d held hands and kissed during the speeches, fed each other wedding cake with their hands, and slow danced like they were the only two people in the room. Martha watched as Tony took Rachel’s face in his hands and kissed her. She turned away and picked up the nearest bottle she could find, banging it down in anger when only a few drops came out.

‘Hey, hey what’s wrong?’ Hugo said as he approached her, his tie now hanging loosely from his neck, and his jacket open. He put his arms around her shoulder.

‘Care to dance?’ He started to steer her towards the dance floor in the middle of the marquee.

‘No,’ she said rudely as she wriggled out of his grasp. Hugo looked at her, the hurt written all over his face.

‘Sorry, I’m sorry,’ she threw her hands up in frustration. ‘I just need to get some fresh air, ok, don’t worry about me, I’ll be fine. Think I’ve had a little too much to drink,’ she laughed half heartedly as she pointed to her empty wine glass, sitting on the table.

‘If you’re sure?’ Hugo asked. ‘I’ll come with you?’

‘No, no, she insisted. You go and enjoy the rest of the wedding. I’ll be back in a bit.’

She practically ran outside, relieved to get away. She felt like she would have suffocated if she’d stayed inside any longer. Outside the cold night air hit her hard. It was completely dark now. She started to walk slowly down the path, not really knowing or caring where she was going to end up. As the sound of chatting and music became quieter, she slowed down, bending over by the side of the road, holding her knees with her hands. In the distance, she saw a figure running up the road. She squinted as they got closer to her, trying to see through the darkness. There was a familiarity she couldn’t quite put her finger on. She stood there rooted to the spot as the figure got closer to her.

‘Kim?’ she gasped in amazement, as he stood before her, reeking of whisky.

‘Martha, I need your help,’ Kim said, taking hold of her hand and dragging her to the side of the road.

‘Hmm, this is amazing,’ Rachel murmured, looking up at Tony. She reached up and kissed him again, putting one hand around his neck and the other on his chest. ‘I want to stay here, like this, forever,’ she giggled, placing another kiss on his lips.’

‘We should get out of here,’ he said suggestively. ‘I just want to be alone with you,’ He kissed her full on the lips, wrapping his arms around her waist.

‘Good idea,’ she said as they gazed deeply into each others eyes.

She knew she had to tell him. And she was going too. But right now things were just so amazing she couldn’t mess it up, not now. It wouldn’t be fair to him she reasoned. She promised herself she would before they went on honeymoon in the morning. They had a hotel in the city booked for that night before their plane the next day.

It was all going to be fine, she told herself sternly. It had to be.

'You ok?' Tony took her hand. 'Shall we make our excuses?'

Rachel nodded. 'Absolutely.'

No worries Hattie :) I've having so much fun writing this!!

Thanks again everyone for your lovely comments :D You're all too sweet and nice! :wub: Please say though if there's something you don't like.

Tony gazed at his wife as she lay sleeping, her head on his chest. He played with her hair, gently twirling strands with his fingers. He listened to her steady breathing, closing his eyes as the morning sun shone through the windows of their beach side Sydney hotel room.

Rachel stirred. ‘Hmm morning,’ she said sleepily, raising her head to look at him.

‘Morning beautiful,’ he replied, placing a lingering kiss on her lips.

‘Last night was amazing,’ she said, as she softly ran her fingertips over his chest.

‘I’m not going to argue with that,’ Tony agreed, pushing her curls out of her eyes and bringing her face up to his. He kissed her again, wrapping his arms around her and pushing her onto her back. She closed her eyes as he placed little kisses on her neck and shoulder, feeling the familiar tingling sensation in the pit of her stomach. She ran her hands though his hair and down his back, pulling him as close to her as possible.

‘You’re so beautiful,’ he said, looking up and gazing into her eyes. ‘Yesterday I couldn’t believe how gorgeous you looked. I could barely believe it.’

‘You could barely believe it?’ she said teasingly, giggling softly.

‘Hey, you know what I meant.’ She nodded and smiled up at him.

‘You know Rach; I was a little worried there, for a sec. You really left me hanging.’

She smiled weakly. ‘Tony, about that, there’s something I really have to tell you.’

She signed deeply, pushing herself into a sitting position, leaning against the light wooden headboard. She wrapped the white sheet around her body, pulling her knees towards her and wrapping her arms around them. Tony turned around, lying on his side with his hand holding his head up. He squeezed her knee reassuringly.

Rachel couldn’t look at him. She focused straight ahead, her eyes fixed on the table pushed up against the opposite wall. Tony’s shirt lay in a heap in the centre, his tie hanging off the edge and her wedding dress was draped elegantly across the chair that was pushed under the right hand side.

‘Kim came to see me yesterday,’ she blurted out. ‘I didn’t want to say anything before the wedding because there was no time and I didn’t want to spoil things,’ her voice got faster and faster and more hysterical. ‘I just wanted to forget it ever happened but I don’t want to keep secrets from you and Leah made me promise I’d tell you and -.’

‘What happened? What did he say to you? Did he kiss you? You didn’t, you and him,’ Tony asked accusingly. He couldn’t bear to say the words. The thought of another man touching her intimately made his head spin. He couldn’t believe what he was hearing. He was so angry. He hated Kim. He backed away from her, moving from the edge of the bed to look for his boxers.

‘No, no, no,’ she cried out in horror. ‘How could you think that? Do you know how much of a shock I got when I saw him standing there? I didn’t know what to do. And he was telling me all this stuff about making mistakes and he was sorry and all I wanted was to be with you but he wouldn’t let me, he just kept on and on but I didn’t want him, I didn’t ask for him to come and all,’ her shoulders shook as she started to cry. She realised she wasn’t making any sense but it broke her heart that Tony thought she would do that, on her wedding day of all days.

He jumped out of the bed, pulling his boxers on and pacing the length of the room, punching the bathroom door as he walked past. His head was spinning. He couldn’t believe what he was hearing. He desperately wanted to see Kim. To punch him, hard. He needed the satisfaction. He held his face in hands, as Rachel rambled on about it not meaning anything, she loved him and had married him, to please forgive her because what else what she supposed to do? Her words washed over him. Sometimes he didn’t know what the hell she was doing. He stopped and stared out of the window. It was a beautiful day. He leaned his forehead against the cold glass, watching the world go by below him, oblivious to it all. He glanced at the surfers on the beach to the left, wishing he was there right now, in a world where everything was simple. Little kids ran along the sand, tripping over sandcastles and eating ice cream, enjoying life the way only children can, with that innocence that makes you believe the world is a perfect place.

He heard her crying. She had stopped talking now. The loud sobs that escaped her body sent chills down his back. He turned around. The state she was in scared him. She lay on her side, tangled up in the sheet, her face wet with tears and her hair stuck to her cheeks. She held her bump with her right hand, and with the other she gripped the sheet tightly, wrapping it around her. He quickly made his way over to her, furious with himself for letting it get this far. Seeing her looking so vulnerable made something inside him snap. She was normally so strong. But there was a side to her that only he saw, a part of her she kept hidden, perhaps to protect herself.

‘Rach, Rach, sweetheart, come here.’ He sat on the edge of the bed and pulled her towards him, bringing her head to rest on his chest.

‘It’s ok, ‘he said rubbing her back. ‘Calm down, Rach, please. God I’m sorry. I was just not expecting that that’s all. He’s not exactly my favourite person. I know how much he hurt you.’

‘I, I…I love you Tony,’ she said as her sobs became quieter. ‘I’m sorry I didn’t tell you earlier but everything was so great and amazing and there was just no time. And I didn’t want to worry you when there’s absolutely nothing to worry about,’ she stressed the last point. ‘You’re the one I want to be with, that part of my life with Kim, it’s finished. I love you more than anything in the world Tony; I’m having your baby,’ she whimpered.

‘I know, I know, shhh.’ He squeezed her gently, kissing the top of her head. He lifted her face towards him and wiped away her tears that had finally stopped falling.

‘It’s ok, Rach. I understand why you didn’t say anything. I guess the timing was pretty bad. Hey, come here.’

They stayed that way for what seemed like hours, arms wrapped tightly around each other, the thin bed sheet loosely covering their bodies. The only sound that could be heard was the quiet hum of the air conditioning and their steady breathing. Eventually, he relaxed his grip on her, gently pulling her face up towards his. She smiled at him tentatively.

‘Come on, we gotta be at the airport in a couple of hours,’ Tony smiled at her. ‘At least our first fight as a married couple is over already, that’s pretty lucky,’ he said jokingly. He rubbed her hand gently.

‘Let’s have a shower, come on,’ he helped her off the bed as they walked towards the bathroom, hand in hand.

The Previous Night

‘Kim what the hell are you doing?’ Martha cried out as he starting pulling her up the road towards the marquee.

‘What are you doing here? Where’s Kit? Will you please explain things to me,’ she demanded trying to wriggle from his grasp.

‘I need to see Rachel,’ Kim said panting. ‘Now, come on. You have to convince her to see me. She’ll listen to you, maybe see sense.’

‘About what? I don’t understand what the hell you’re saying! You want her back?’ She stared at him in amazement. His look said it all.

‘Oh my God, you’re incredible, you really are. I just, can’t, what happened before. Kim you left her!’ Martha said incredulously.

‘I made a mistake. I need to try and fix it. I need to see, give us a chance.’

‘Have you heard yourself? Kim, she’s married to Tony! You can’t just go and mess with her like that. You did enough damage the last time. Kim!’ Martha screamed as he grabbed her arms and attempted to drag her towards to marquee.

‘I’m not going to let you do this.’ She tried to yank herself free, twisting her body and pulling him back down the hill.

They struggled. The whisky made Kim stumble, made his reactions slower than normal. They fell onto the road, Martha’s shoe getting caught between a crack on the tarmac. She landed on her hands her knees, Kim on his back beside her.

They didn’t see the car until it was too late. The screeching of brakes rang in Martha’s ears as she tried to wriggle her foot free.

‘Kim,’ she cried out in desperation before everything went black.

‘Oh I need to sit down,’ Leah giggled as she leaned against Hugo. ‘I’ve not danced so much in my life!’

‘You’re a good dancer what can I say,’ Hugo laughed. ‘Come on, one more, I promise, then I’ll get you some champagne. Promise.’

‘Oh all right, this is the last one though,’ Leah said as the music started up.

Hugo held her tiny frame against his body. He didn’t know if it was the romantic setting or all the alcohol, but he found himself desperate to kiss her.

‘Leah?’

‘Hmm,’ she lifted her head up and looked at him, smiling.

‘What?’ she laughed, sounding puzzled. ‘Do I have something in my teeth?’ she laughed nervously. ‘Seriously you’re freaking me out.’

Feeling brave Hugo decided to go for it. He leaned down and placed a kiss on her lips.

• 3 weeks later...

Here it is. Sorry it's taken so long!! I don't know what to make of this chapter, so please, tell me honestly :) Hope you enjoy!

Martha opened her eyes and looked around in confusion. Everything was so blurry. She blinked a couple of times, trying to force her eyes to adjust to the light and the strange surroundings. She tried to sit up, surprised at the sudden pain that shot through her body.

‘Martha love, lie down, it’s okay.’ Alf said gently, as he placed his hand on his granddaughters shoulder.

‘What happened? I don’t understand. Where’s Kim?’ She looked at Alf inquisitively. Her brain was struggling to keep up. The last thing she could remember was being with Kim on the side of the road, and feeling his hand grip his wrist as she’d struggled to break free. She remembered the look in his eyes, the intensity as he stared right at her had sent a shiver down her spine.

‘Kim?’ Alf shared a worried glance with Colleen, who was sitting by the bed, her hands folded into her lap.

‘What are you talking about love, Kim wasn’t there. You hit your head pretty hard though. Apparently you just came out of nowhere. The car just couldn’t stop in time. What were you doing running down the middle of the road anyways?’

‘He was there,’ Martha replied, trying to keep her voice steady. ‘He just came out of nowhere, and kept going on about needing to see Rachel and wanting to tell her something. I know what I saw. You need to find out where he went. Rachel and Tony. Where are they?’

‘They’re on their honeymoon, where did you think they’d be? Such a beautiful wedding. After everything that’s happened those two deserved it. Such a pity you had to end up like this Martha. You really shouldn’t have run off like that pet.’ Colleen said, placing her hand on top of Martha’s and squeezing it.

‘Oh shut it woman, will you.’ Alf said in exasperation. ‘Can’t you see she’s upset? She doesn’t need a lecture from you as well.’

Martha glared at Alf and Colleen.

‘Kim was there,’ Martha insisted. ‘And someone needs to find out what on earth is going on with him now. He was with me when the car hit, and he was going to try and speak to Rachel. You need to find him.’

Martha sank back into the pillow, groaning. She couldn’t believe this.

Rachel rested her head on Tony’s chest and sighed with content. She couldn’t remember the last time she felt so happy. She didn’t want to be anywhere else. Closing her eyes, she snuggled up closer to him, reaching out for his hand. He responded, kissing the top of her head and rubbing his thumb over the palm of her hand. Their bungalow was perfect. It was right on the beach and more secluded than the others in the resort. It was all open plan, with wooden shutters and a huge four poster bed in the middle of the room.

They were lying outside together on a sun bed, exhausted by their plane journey and events of the previous day. The sun had just started to set, illuminating the sky in vivid shades of red and pink. From their position on the balcony they could hear the waves lapping up on the shore.

‘Hmmm,’ a small moan escaped Rachel’s lips. ‘I love you,’ she said lazily, not bothering to lift to her head.

‘I love you too baby, more than you’ll ever know,’ he said as he twisted her hair in-between his fingers.

Lean rubbed her temples and squeezed her eyes tightly shut, trying to numb her pounding headache. She couldn’t believe how drunk she’d got at the wedding. In fact she was pretty sure she was still drunk now, even though it was half way through the following morning. She knew she had to get up. But the thought of standing up made her feel queasy. She stretched out in her bed, thankful she’d came home alone and not done anything stupid. The fact that she was naked concerned her slightly, but she assumed she had been too drunk to care about finding something to sleep in. She sat up and slowly got out of bed, wrapping her dressing gown tightly around her waist and stumbling towards the kitchen.

She winced as she tripped over something in the living room, stubbing her toe and falling into the table.

‘Ugh,’ she exclaimed, running her hands through her hair. She felt like someone was constantly hitting her head with a hammer. She bent down, surprised to see a man’s shoe on the floor. Feeling slightly alarmed, she wandered into kitchen, trying to remember what the hell had happened last night.

‘Oh God,’ she said as she saw who was sitting at the table, drinking a cup of tea. From Dan’s favourite mug. She didn’t know why that suddenly bothered her. It never had done before.

‘Morning,’ he said cheerily. ‘Breakie?’

‘I think i’m going to be sick,’ Leah muttered as she ran to the bathroom.

Rachel let the hot water cascade over her body as she massaged shampoo into her hair. She felt better now after spending the afternoon dosing out on the balcony. She was relieved Tony had taken the news about Kim so well. She closed her eyes and stuck her head under the shower, loving the feeling of the water hitting her body. She just wanted to forget it had ever happened, and to enjoy her honeymoon. The thought of having a whole week where she didn’t have to go into work, or even think about work thrilled her. She couldn’t remember the last time she’d had that luxury. She loved her job but sometimes she felt it took over her life. She hummed to herself, loving the fact that all she had to worry about was what to order for dinner than night. Tony had gone to reception to see about booking trips or something. She couldn’t remember exactly. She smiled to herself, thankful that he was taking charge.

The sound of the door slamming made her jump and interrupted her happy thoughts.

‘Hello, Tony is that you?’ she called out, her voice being drowned out by the shower. She turned it off, and grabbed a towel. She stepped out cautiously, a sinking feeling gathering in the pit of her stomach.

Somewhere in the room she heard footsteps, sounding as if they were rapidly approaching the bathroom, where she stood, her hair dripping, the little white towel barely covering her body due to the size of her bump.

‘Tony, this is not funny,’ she said loudly. ‘What are you doing?’ She wrapped her hair up in a towel and edged towards the door.

‘Thanks mate, that’s great.’ Tony beamed as he left the reception and quickly made his way back to their bungalow. He hoped Rachel would love it.

Thank you everyone for the comments. You're all too sweet. You really keep me going, i apperciate everyone being so lovely!! :lol: But please, say anything you want, hehe.

Rachel gazed into the living room, her heart thudding loudly. She swallowed nervously, clenching her fists by her side.

‘Hello,’ she called out again, slowly walking the length of the room. Clearly no one was there. She shrugged to herself, assuming it had just been house keeping or her imagination. Still though, she couldn’t shake off the feeling she was being watched.

‘Stop it,’ she told herself firmly. ‘You’re being silly.’ She laughed at herself a little - mostly out of reassurance - before turning and making her way back to the bathroom. The towel fell off her head and landed behind her, causing her hair to fall down her back in damp curls, sending little drops of cold water down her spine.

It all happened so quickly. She didn’t have time to react.

She let out a muffled scream as a cold hand clamped over her mouth, and the other around her stomach. The weight of his body pushed against her back. She felt dizzy. He pressed himself against her, shoving her towards the bathroom. Her hands reached down instinctively to the towel as she pulled it tightly around her body.

She struggled. Her feet felt like lead. She could feel herself being dragged across the floor. She whimpered as his hand pushed harder into her side, his nails digging into her skin.

The bathroom door shut behind her with a slam. She fell to the floor, gripping onto the side of the bath tub for support. She took a deep breath. Her heart was beating so loudly she could hear it.

She turned around slowly, tucking her legs under her and holding her bump protectively. She looked up slowly, stunned at the figure looming before her.

The Previous Night

‘Martha!’ Kim cried out. ‘Oh ****, ****, ****!’ He stood up, pulling at his hair. A few hundred metres away the car skidded to a stop.

Kim turned and ran. He couldn’t stay. If any of this got back to Kit his life would be over. He’d never see his son again. In the seconds before the car hit Martha something inside of him had snapped and he suddenly realised how pathetic he was being. He loved Kit, he did. God she was the mother of his son. He knew deep down he had to let Rachel go. Maybe you only got one chance. He’d blown it. But that didn’t mean he had to ruin his son’s life as well. He owed it to him.

He stopped, gasping for breath. He crouched down, hiding behind a bush. In the distance he heard the sirens. Relief washed over him. He held his head in his hands and cried.

Early the following morning

‘Feeling better?’ Hugo grinned at Leah as she walked into the kitchen, clutching her stomach.

‘Kinda,’ she muttered, pouring herself some coffee.

‘You know Leah, last night, we didn’t do anything wrong. It was fun.’ Hugo gulped his coffee down and smiled at her.

‘So, last night, did we ummm..’ Leah looked down, her face flushed with embarrassment.

‘Have sex?’ Hugo finished the sentence for her. ‘Have to say I’m a little disappointed you don’t even remember.’

‘Hugo last night is just a massive black whole. ‘Argh,’ she moaned as she laid her head on the table.

‘Yes we did, and despite the alcohol, it wasn’t that bad,’ Hugo winked at her.

Leah looked up at him and forced a smile. She found herself noticing the curls in hair, and how they fell into his eyes. For some crazy reason she found herself wanting to run her fingers through it.

‘Earth to Leah. Anyone home?’ She jumped, startled as he stood in front of her, grinning.

‘Fancy going down to the beach for a bit of a swim? I’m pretty sure VJ would like a surfing lesson.’

‘Yes that sounds great,’ Leah said, realising as she did so she was actually looking forward to it.

Tony made his way quickly back to the bungalow, smiling widely to himself. He couldn’t remember the last time he’d felt this happy, and not had the underlying feeling of guilt. The thought of spending 7 days with Rachel, without work or any other interruptions thrilled him. They so needed this break.

‘Mr Holden, Mr Holden, excuse me,’

Tony turned around as one the employees from the hotel sprinted towards him.

‘Everything ok?’ Tony said, slightly confused as the young man stopped beside, placing his hand on his shoulder.

‘Sorry mate, just have a message for you. From one of our new employee’s, apparently he’s an old friend of yours. He got a bit excited when he saw your name on the guest list.’

‘Oh,’ Tony said a bit baffled. He screwed up his face, trying to figure out who it could be.

Martha sighed loudly. She was tired. Alf and Colleen clearly though she was mad, so much so Colleen had left to get coffee. That was over an hour ago.

‘I’m not making it up. Kim was with me the whole time!’

‘Look love you need to let this thing with Kim go,’ Alf said, a little exasperated.

‘The guy that phoned the ambulance didn’t mention anything about someone else being there.’

‘So I just made all this up, is that what you’re saying?’ She stared at him as he rearranged the flowers in the vase.

‘No I’m saying you had a massive bump on the head, people imagine all sorts of crazy stuff when they’ve been through what you have. Now I’ve got a few things to do so I’ll come back and check on you later. Try and get some rest.’

He kissed her on the forehead and walked out of the room, closing the door behind him.

Martha curled up in the bed, confused and angry. She did see him. He was there, she told herself over and over. But people didn’t just disappear did they. As little doubts began to creep into her head, she blinked backed tears of frustration.

Archived