Inter-school tournament marks the end of Paralympics

Guest Di

Inter-school tournament marks the end of Paralympics

Published Date: 20 September 2008

picture one...Tom

Picture two....Safa and other pupils

By Nick Ward

AS the world marvelled at the closing ceremony of the Beijing Paralympics - kids in Sheffield were already busy preparing for the London games in 2012.

Children from three Sheffield schools were keen to take part in an inter-school boccia tournament staged to mark the end of the Paralympic Games.

The pupils from East Hill, Oaks Park and Talbot schools battled it out on the boccia court to prove they could be the next generation of gold medal winners at the 2012 games in London.

Boccia, pronounced 'botcha', is a test of muscle control and accuracy, requiring high levels of focus and concentration. Like crown green bowling, players throw or bowl a ball to land as close as possible to the target ball, the 'jack'.

Sheffield Council cabinet member for culture, leisure and streetscene Coun Sylvia Dunkley, said: "I'm delighted that these Sheffield schoolchildren are marking the end of the Paralympics and the handover of the event to London for 2012.

"Sheffield has strong links with disability sport, including hosting the national boccia championships and one of the largest international disability swimming events , the Nationwide Disability Sports Events Long Course Open at Ponds Forge every year.

"We also work hard in schools and generally in the city to develop disability sport.

"And as London 2012 gets closer, we will be hosting international Paralympic athletes training for the Games."

:o When did he grow up!!! Tom! You're not wee any more! And you're famous :P I'll need your autograph soon :P

Lol Mez, his legs are prob longer than the whole of me :lol:

Nope he is deff not my wee Tom anymore. He growing into a fine young 17yr old... :P

Archived