10 10 10 - The Tide is High

Guest Perry

IV) This Time I Know It’s For Real

Saturday Afternoon, 09 10 10

“VJ, I’m leaving now!” Leah called out from the front door.

VJ walked out of his bedroom, wearing nothing but a towel.

“VJ!” Leah said crossed. “It’s half past eleven. Why couldn’t you have woken up earlier?”

“It’s saturday!” VJ shrugged.

Ryan was lying on the lounge, watching television.

“I’m leaving without you!” Leah said.

“How am I going to get to Shayne’s?” VJ asked.

“Ryan can take you!” Leah said before leaving.

“What?” Ryan asked but it was too late, Leah was out the door.

“Irene, can we go?” Olivia asked impatiently.

Annie was watching television, waiting for them to leave. Olivia waited at the back door, dressed smartly. Irene grabbed her handbag and headed out the door.

Annie grabbed her mobile phone.

Ryan looked at his phone.

‘THEY’VE LEFT x’ Annie Mobile.

“Let’s go!” VJ said heading for the door.

Ryan stood up. “Change of plans buddy....” He told him. “I’ve got something on.” He took off his daggy T-shirt and headed into the bathroom.

“How am I going to get to Shayne’s?”

“Walk!” Ryan said before shutting the door.

“Wow!” Miles said opening the door for Leah. “You look amazing.”

“Thanks.” Leah blushed.

“Oh!” Miles said remembering something. He disappeared into the kitchen and returned with some flowers.

Leah smiled as she accepted them. “I wasn’t expecting...”

“I know...” Miles said. “I just wanted to do this right, except for the not being able to pick you up and drive you part.” Miles continued. “You do look really good.”

“I am good!” Leah smiled. “For the first time in a while.”

“Thanks dad for doing this.” VJ said hopping into his father’s red ute.

“Not a problem little man.” Vinnie said before driving away. “What’s your mother doing?”

“She’s got a date with Miles.” VJ said.

“Uh huh!” Vinnie said before staying silent.

“Dad?”

“Yeah buddy?”

“If it was safe for you to come back when Dan died. How come you didn’t?”

“Did your mum tell you I told her that?”

VJ nodded.

“Typical!” Vinnie said to himself. “Because buddy...” He began telling VJ. “...I knew that you and your mother had had this new life without me and I had to accept that and when I did hear about Dan’s death I thought about coming back but I didn’t think it would have been fair on you guys. It definitely wouldn’t have been fair on your mother.”

VJ stayed silent but took on board what his father said.

“What is this place?” Hugh asked as he and Lucas headed inside an abandoned abattoir.

He looked around the half burnt building.

“It’s an old abattoir...” Lucas began to tell him.

“That explains the smell!” Hugh commented.

“...It’s where the stalker was hiding out.” Lucas explained.

“The Summer Bay Stalker... OOOH I’m scared.” Hugh joked. He pushed Lucas for a bit of laugh but Lucas didn’t find it funny. “What’s up with you?”

“What do you think?” Lucas questioned before finding an old milk crate to sit on.

“I explained it all in the car, I wasn’t really going to shoot you.”

“Yeah and that makes it alright?” Lucas asked. He slumped his head between his knees and starting spitting on the floor.

“I had no choice!”

“Those were my brothers!”

“Who was?”

“The cops...” Lucas told him. “Jack and Adam.”

“For real?” Hugh asked.

Lucas looked him in the eye and nodded.

Hugh left Lucas and went for a walk, he had to think hard about what he had got himself into.

Annie was wearing a beautiful yet sexy black and silver gown, she had her hair up nice and was wearing a delicious ruby shaded lipstick. She opened the door and Ryan stood there wearing a slick white shirt and slacks. He handed her a bunch of flowers, lilies. Annie smiled as she took them. Ryan walked into the house, Annie placed the flowers on the table and began to kiss him passionately. Ryan started to unbutton his shirt. Goosebumps started forming on Annie’s arms, her hands were getting sweaty but she still helped Ryan take off his shirt.

Martha was on board the Blaxland, Alf poured her a glass of champagne which Martha took.

“Granddad, I’m pregnant...” Martha told him.

“That’s brilliant news...” Alf said. “Congratulations.”

“...And I don’t know what to do.” Martha began to cry. “I haven’t told Jack yet. I’m going to, I just don’t know how he’ll react. You know?”

“Yeah.” Alf nodded. “But he loves you love...”

“...And I miss Alfie so much.” Martha interrupted. “I really don’t know if it’s the right time for another baby.”

“Sometimes you just can’t plan these things love...”

A knock interrupted them and Jazz walked out onto the deck.

“I’m sorry am I interrupting?” She asked Martha.

“Well yeah we’re kind of in the middle of something love...” Alf told Jazz politely.

“Not at all!” Martha told her.

Jazz sat down next to Martha in the hospital room. Alf was lying in bed, he had bandages covering most his body. Tubes coming from all over. The parts of his body you could see, his arms and part of his chest, were completely covered in burn scars.

“What brings you here?” Martha asked Jazz.

“Just a check up.” Jazz lied to her. “I’m sorry, I couldn’t help but overhearing you, you’re pregnant?”

Martha nodded.

“Martha, why aren’t you happy? That is terrific news.” Jazz assured her.

“Why? Why is it?”

“Cause you and Jack love each other and you can start a family.”

“We already had a family started...” Martha said. “...Me, Jack and Alfie...” Martha continued. “I don’t understand how someone can come in and tear a family apart like that. How could he do it to me? To us?”

“Two words...” Jazz said to her. “...Rachel Armstrong...” Jazz rubbed Martha’s shoulder. “It wasn’t enough for her to ruin Tony’s life, she had to go and ruin yours and Jack’s as well.” Jazz started coughing uncontrollably.

Martha grabbed a glass of water for her, and Jazz downed it quickly.

“Thanks.” Jazz said as she handed her the glass back. “I better go...” She said, standing up in a hurry. “Tony and I are going to check out how the new club is getting along...” She headed for the door but stopped. “Did you want to tag along?” She asked her.

“No I can’t...” Martha said with a polite smile. “I told Kaley I’d take her out for Ice-Cream after her game.”

“Okay.” Jazz said. “I will see you later.”

“Bye.”

Jazz walked out but came straight back in. “Martha, it will work out fine for you and Jack... You just have to let it.”

Jazz left and Martha thought about what Jazz had told her.

“OUCH...” Kaley cried. “It hurts so much.”

Paul took her out the back of the Beach House. Belle and Geoff were following closely. Geoff was holding onto Tinkerbell.

“I know it does... Just wait until we get inside and I’ll get something for it.” Paul told the little girl.

“Okay...” Kaley said. “...It just hurts real bad.”

Paul opened the backdoor and they walked inside.

A shirtless Ryan looked up in shock. Annie who was beneath him on the lounge looked humiliated.

“What...?” Geoff asked. “GET OUT!” He screamed at Ryan.

Ryan stood up and grabbed his shirt, he turned to Geoff. “Geoff, sorry...”

Geoff handed Tink to Belle he stepped towards Ryan and grabbed him by his neck.

“GEOFF!” Belle sceamed. The baby started crying. “Is that what you want to do? Beat up my brother in front of my kid?”

Paul ran in and pulled Geoff off Ryan.

“How could you?” Geoff asked Ryan.

“Geoff we love each-other.” Annie told him.

“I think you better go Ryan.” Paul suggested.

Ryan nodded. “I love you!” He said to Annie before he left.

“What are you doing?” Annie asked Geoff with force behind her voice.

“What am I doing?” Geoff asked. “What are you doing? You know what the bible says about this.”

“I know...” Annie said. “...And I don’t care, not anymore.” She ran upstairs.

“I will make sure she’s okay!” Paul said. He grabbed Kaley by the hand and they headed upstairs.

“Well I hope you’re happy.” Belle commented.

“Me?” Geoff asked getting defensive. “Your brother was trying to...” He didn’t continue with that part of the sentence. “...With my sister!”

“Answer me this Geoff...” Belle steered the conversation away from her brother. “How are you going to be a Minister or Reverend or whatevever you call it if you can’t remain objective?” Geoff didn’t answer. “What are you going to be like when we have children?”

“What do you mean *when*?” Geoff asked her. “We have a child!” Geoff tried clarifying.

“You know what I mean!” Belle said. She kept bouncing Tink to keep her from crying but it wasn’t working too well.

“Yeah I do know what you mean and that’s what’s annoyed me about it.” Geoff placed his hand on Tink’s cheek. “You’re saying just because she’s not my blood, it means she is not my child.”

Belle turned Tink around so Geoff can look at her. “Look at her eyes Geoff!” She told him. “Those are Aden’s eyes.”

“I know they are...” Geoff began.

“Look at the cheeks, the hair!” Belle interrupted. “She’s ADEN all over. She IS Aden’s child, like it or lump it.”

“SHE IS MINE!” Geoff screamed, causing Tink to cry louder. “Aden wasn’t there for you during the pregnancy, like I was, he wasn’t there for her, when she first smiled, I was! Aden didn’t want her. I did.”

“This isn’t a competition between you and Aden, Geoff, he’s already lost. He’s lost it all, me, Tink, the ability to walk, to see and you still think he’s some how got something over you. Well guess what? He has. He’s blind yet he still sees things clearer then you do.”

“I didn’t bring him up.”

“You’ve been great to me Geoff, I really do love you but I don’t get you sometimes.”

“What are you trying to say? You want to leave me?”

“Aden is Tinkerbell’s daddy and he’ll be in her life forever and I’d prefer it if she grew up knowing who her father was, that doesn’t mean she can’t have an awesome stepdad as well.” She handed Tink to Geoff. “I don’t want to hide her from him, I know what Aden did when he found out I was pregnant was wrong, but you can see why he wasn’t ready to be a dad at that time in his life, I wasn’t really ready to be a mum. He told Paul that one of the reason’s he kept fighting to stay alive was was because he had a beautiful daughter that he wanted to stick around for. And for you to turn around and say he can’t be around her...”

“I was only thinking about you.” Geoff interrupted again.

“Geoff!” Belle rolled her eyes. “Are you listening to me? Stop protecting me from Aden. I don’t love him anymore, I love YOU! Can you see that?”

“I can’t help you if you refuse to believe that Aden isn’t the right person for her to be around...”

“Well I can’t be here if you can’t get over this obsession you have with him.” She took Tink back from him and started heading out the backdoor. “Oh and congratulations you’re going to be a dad... for real this time!” She left, slamming the door behind her.

“It still hurts!” Kaley complained.

“I know it does!” Paul told her, they were in Annie’s bedroom sitting on her bed.

“What does sweetie?” Annie asked, Kaley stayed silent.

“She grazed her bum playing football.”

“Bottom!” Kaley corrected Paul.

“Do you know what’s good for a sore bum?” Annie asked her.

“Bottom!”

Annie pulled out a lollypop from a jar on her bedside table. “I usually have one of these to make me feel better.”

“Thank-you!” Kaley said with a smile.

“Did you want to go into my room and eat that and read my comics too while you’re there?” Paul asked her.

Kaley nodded.

“Go on then!” Paul said. “Just go straight to my room and don’t disturb Geoff and Belle if they are still down there just go straight into my bedroom. I am just going to have a talk with Annie, okay?”

Kaley nodded and began to head out the room.

“Does your bum feel better?”

“Bottom!” Both Annie and Kaley corrected him. Kaley nodded and headed out.

“I thought waiting until you were married meant a lot to you?” Paul asked Annie.

“It did!” Annie said. “But I didn’t want to rush into a marriage just because I got horny.”

Paul laughed. “I am going to tell you something and you have to promise me you won’t say anything to anyone, okay?”

Annie nodded.

“How many times do you think I have had sex?”

“I don’t know...” Annie thought about it, “...like thrity, forty.” She answered.

“Zero!”

“What?”

“Do you know how when Adam and I first got together and nobody could see how much we cared about each other, especially Nan?”

“Yeah?”

“Well Nan made us promise that if we truly loved each other we can wait until I turned eighteen before we have sex.”

“Yeah but how is she going to know if you break the promise or not?”

“She doesn’t!” Paul told her. “But we haven’t and that just proves to us that we do love each other and we can wait.”

“So are you saying that Ryan and I can wait?” Annie asked.

“Yeah!” Paul nodded. “But it’s up to you to decide if you want to or not.”

“But Ryan’s had sex before, Melody and Ruby... What if he just expects it?”

“Come on Annie, you know that’s not the case.” Paul patted her on the back. “I’m not going to think differently about you if you do choose to have sex with him, I love you like a sister and nothings going to change that. I just want you to know that you don’t have to feel you need to.” He stood up. “I’m going to take Kaley home, did you come for the run?”

“Nah...” Annie said. “...I think I need to ring Ryan.”

“If you do choose to...”

“I know...” Annie said “...Be safe!”

“No...” Paul laughed. “...Choose a better outfit!”

Lucas walked back into the half burnt room Hugh was in. Hugh was seated on an old milk crate, he looked up at Lucas who was looking out of sorts.

“What do you think will happen?” Lucas asked. “If I go back? What will happen to me?”

Hugh shrugged. “Don’t really know.” Hugh admitted to him. “Well it could go either way seeing how they were your brothers...” Hugh began to explain. “They both saw you so there’s definitely no denying you were buying. But they’ll probably want to do a deal with you anyway... Something like no charges if you give them info about me.”

Lucas smiled and nodded, impressed by his honesty.

“But seeing how they are your brothers, even if you give them nothing you’ll probably only get community service or something even if you don’t give them information about me.”

“Would you let me go back?”

Hugh looked at Lucas and smiled. “You’re a big boy buttercup, you can make that decision yourself.” He then gave Lucas a more serious look. “But don’t think they’ll be able to find me.”

Lucas nodded.

“And if you do give them any information...”

“I won’t!” Lucas grabbed the other milk crate and sat down near him. “Drew said you went after Belle?” Lucas changed the subject.

“Drew has a big mouth!” Hugh looked at Lucas into his soulful blue eyes. “She cost me a lot of money and tried to give me up to the cops.”

“The fire at the Surf Club?”

Hugh nodded. “I didn’t want it to happen like that...” He began to explain to Lucas.

Belle was gagged and tied up in the gym at the Surf Club, the lights were off. Hugh and another man were looking down at her.

“I’ll leave it with you!” Hugh said to the man. He walked out of the gym and into the bar. He put a scotch glass on the bench and grabbed a bottle of Scotch from the shelf and poured a half full glass. He placed the bottle onto the bench next to the glass.

Belle screamed loudly through the material tied around her mouth.

Hugh bumped the scotch bottle onto the bench and it spilled out everywhere. “Darn it!” He screamed before looking for a towel to wipe it with, he found one but didn’t do a good job drying it, it was only a small hand towel and there was a lot of scotch. Hugh shrugged. He pulled a cigarette out from his packet and put it to his mouth. He grabbed a match from his box and scraped it along the side.

“What the flaming hell???” Alf asked entering the bar.

Hugh jumped when he unexpectedly heard Alf’s voice and he dropped the match onto the bench, onto the spilled scotch. It lit up instantly.

Hugh grabbed the hand towel and waved it at the flames, the flames blew and spread across the bench. Alf ran towards Hugh and grabbed him. Hugh pushed Alf away and Alf fell, hitting his head onto the bar, he layed unconscious on the floor. Hugh looked at the spreading fire. He ran to the Gym, he knocked at the door. The other man opened it, noticing the flames behind him, he didn’t ask questions, the two men ran out of there as fast as they could.

Aden was outside the Surf Club looking towards the beach, he heard the loud voices of the two men. He turned around and saw Hugh and the other guy running out of there. He smelt the smoke.

Aden walked into the Surf Club, then walked towards the flames in the bar. He tried looking through the smoke. He starting coughing. “Hello?” And then he could see him. “Mr. Stewart?” He saw him laying on the floor of the bar, surrounded in flames. Aden pulled his shirt up to cover his mouth. He grabbed Alf’s shoulder to give him a little shake. And then through the cackling he heard it. Belle’s screams.

He ran into the gym, he saw Belle tied up. He untied her.

“Aden!” Belle said, relieved.

Aden took his shirt off and gave it to her. “Use it to cover your mouth!” He told her and she did just that.

Aden wrapped his arm around her and guided her through the flames and out of the Surf Club. Belle coughed as she took the shirt away from her mouth. Aden took it from her, he reached into his jeans pocket and pulled out his mobile phone. “Call Triple Zero!” He ordered her.

“Aden?” Said Belle as Aden headed back inside the Surf Club.

“Mr. Stewart’s inside!” Aden looked back at Belle. “I still love you!” He said to her.

Belle looked back at him “Me too!” She said, a tear falling down her cheek.

Aden smiled as he looked at her face for a short moment. He then looked down at her hand, her ring finger, the home of an engagement ring. One that Geoff had placed there. He covered his mouth with his t-shirt and walked back into the surf club.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

V) Locomotion

Saturday Afternoon, 09 10 10

Geoff sat quietly on the lounge in the beach house, he wasn’t watching television that was on, he was thinking. He had his thumb in his mouth so he could chew onto his nail.

Suddenly there was a loud knock at the back door. It took a moment before Geoff even realised there was somebody there. Then he heard the dog barking.

“Okay...” He said heading towards the door which was still banging. He opened it.

Lila stood holding onto a Border Collie by its collar. “She was in my yard again!” She let go of her collar and Scruffie ran and hid behind Geoff. “Next time she does it, I’ll take her to the pound.”

“Thanks Miss Andretti.” Geoff said. “I’m sure it won’t happen again.”

“Well it better not.” She gave the dog a death stare before walking away.

“Annie!” Geoff called out.

Ryan was sitting outside the Surf Club, someone tapped him on the shoulder. He turned around and saw nobody. he looked back around and sitting down at the table with him was Kirsty and 5 year old Oliver.

“Wow, you’re back.” Ryan said with a smile. “Hey little man, how was your trip?”

“Good.” Oliver said with a smile.

“How’s Kal going?” Ryan asked Kirsty.

“Yeah good. He looks so different, he’s fitter, his head’s shaved and it may sound strange but the uniform actually suits him.”

Ryan started laughing.

“Can you keep a secret?” Kirsty asked.

Ryan nodded.

Kirsty showed him her hand, a small diamond on her ring finger. “He proposed to me. We’re getting married as soon as he finishes his training.”

Ryan smiled. “That’s brilliant.” He stood up and kissed her on the cheek. “Thanks a lot.” He ran off.

“What did I do?” Kirtsy asked.

“OH NOOOOOOOOO!” Vinnie screamed as his dreams of winning the Telstra Cup were quashed.

“I told you so... I told you so!” Jarred taunted him.

Vinnie threw the game controller down onto the floor of the Living room him and the kids were in. VJ picked up the controller and playfully pushed his father.

“I’ll show you how it’s done dad!” He said.

“Can we have a go?” Shayne asked for both Olivia and herself who were both sitting down, watching, bored out of there brains.

“Yeah, you two can play after then the winner out you can play the winner out of me and VJ...” Jarred told them.

“...But what about me?” Vinnie asked.

“Watch and learn, Mr Patterson... Watch and learn!” Jarred said with a smirk.

Angel walked into the Living Room. “Are you behaving yourself?” She asked. “Make sure everybody gets a turn!”

Shayne laughed. “Yes mum!” She said with a forced smile.

“I’m off!” Said Angel as she wrapped her stylish and expensive handbag over her shoulder. She looked at Vinnie who was looking at her. She gave him an angelic smile. “Thanks for doing this...”

“Not a problem!” Vinnie said before looking at the NRL game his son was playing. “Pass it VJ... No not that way!”

Angel continued looking at Vinnie, the smile still there. Vinnie looked back up at her and blushed.

“What?” He asked with a laugh.

“Nothing...” Angel said still giving him that angelic smile. “...You remind me of someone is all.”

Shayne looked up at her mother and then at Vinnie and then rolled her eyes. “Bye mum!”

“Bye!”

Angel walked into the garage and opened the driver’s door to her silver Merc. She sat in the car and started it up. A familiar song played on the radio.

“I will come for you at night time

I will raise you from your sleep

I will kiss you in four places

I'll go running along your street

I will squeeze the life out of you

You will make me laugh and make me cry

We will never forget it

You will make me call your name and I'll shout it to the blue summer sky

We may never meet...”

Angel changed the channel.

“Marry me?” Miles asked out of nowhere.

Leah looked down at the engagement ring that Miles hid in her Champagne glass. He certainly went through a heap of effort just to make it special for her. He chose a very private spot near the lookout that was just right for the picnic. It was a beautiful afternoon and he set up the blanket near the trees and they got the most amazing mixture of both sunlight and shade.

“I know I asked you before and you said it wasn’t the right time but I really do think it is now... We’re ready for this.” He looked Leah in the eyes. “I love you Leah and I want to spend the rest of my life with you.” He started to look nervous even biting his lip. “Please put me out of my misery.”

Leah placed her finger into the glass and pulled the ring out, gripping onto it tightly. “Why not?” She said with a sarcastic shrug. “I guess I could do that.” She then leaned in and gave him a passionate kiss. “Of course I will marry you.”

Miles grabbed her champagne glass and threw the champagne out onto the grass. He then grabbed the bottle from the picnic basket and poured her a new one and handed it to her. He placed the bottle onto the ground and it began to shake a little. In fact he could feel the ground shaking a little.

“Can you feel that?” He asked his fiancee.

“Feel what?” Leah asked laughing slightly.

Miles placed his palm on the ground to feel the earth. He wasn’t entirely sure if the ground was shaking or not. “Nothing!” He said. “I’m going crazy, that’s all.” He laughed before playfully kissing her.

“Got any more chips?” Leah looked at the empty plate.

“Nup!” Miles replied. “Ate them all!” He said giving her a butterfly kiss and made her giggle some more. He then started humming. “A soul kind of feeling I'm in
I'm moving with the beat
It's just a soul kinda feeling I'm in
sounding kind of sweet”

Leah stopped laughing. She opened up her palm and looked at the engagement ring.

“THREE big scoops of Ice-cream for the THREE big tries your team scored.” Martha smiled as she handed Kaley the bowl.

“WOAH!” Kaley said with a grin.

“I know you didn’t win but Paul said you played very well anyway...” Martha continued. “...Just don’t tell your daddy about all the ice-cream.”

Kaley took a big mouthful of ice-cream and continued grinning as she tasted the sweet cold chocolate flavor.

“What do you say?” Paul asked in a fatherly voice.

“Thank-you.” Kaley said sweetly.

“Your very welcome.” Martha replied.

Belle arrived at the Surf Club, pushing Tinker-Bell in the pram, they walked into the Diner, The Surf-side Diner as it was called.

After the Club and the Gym burnt down, Roman, Leah and Irene moved the Pier Diner which wasn’t doing as well as what the Beachside Diner was into the Surf Club and business picked up quite well. The Surf Club side still had the Pool Table, held the Lifeguards Headquarters as well as a small Surfboard Hire shop. The Diner part was where Noah’s and the Gym use to be, the layout was like a 60’s Surf movie with a mural of a Kombi on the beach, filled with bright colours and patterns mainly purple, orange and red.

“Hey guys.” She said as she walked to Martha, Paul and Kaley’s table. “Was Geoff still at your place when you left?” She asked Paul.

“Yeah...” Paul nodded. “...He didn’t look to happy, we did ask if he wanted to join us but...”

Martha looked down inside the pram and smiled at Tinkerbell who smiled back at her.

“...So...” Paul changed the subject to avoid an awkward conversation by starting a different awkward conversation. “Did you talk to Ryan?”

Belle nodded before grabbing a chair off a nearby empty table and sat down with them. “Yeah...” She said before looking at Martha who was still looking down inside the pram. Belle looked inside the pram herself to make sure Tink was alright and when she saw that she was she finished her sentence. “...I basically told him if he touched Annie again, I will hurt him.”

“Oh?” Paul said almost to himself. “...It’s just...” He looked at Kaley who was too busy eating her Ice-cream to know what the conversation was even about. “...I told Annie...” He looked at Belle and saw that she didn’t look too worried. “I said that she can decide when she is ready.”

Belle shook her head. “I don’t even care anymore... She’s Seventeen she can decide.”

“Well what do you think Martha?” Paul asked Martha who was still looking at Tink. “Well?” Paul waited for an answer but she was in another world. “MARTHA?”

“Sorry?” Martha asked looking up.

“Are you okay?” Paul asked, starting to get concerned when Martha just nodded. “You sure?” He asked but could see she was getting annoyed just from him asking.

“I’m fine.” Martha looked at Belle and Paul and forced a smile. “I’m just a bloody idiot.” She said almost to herself.

Ryan opened the side gate to the Beach House and looked into the kitchen window to see if the house was empty or at least Geoff empty when he saw that it was he walked inside. “Annie!” He called out. He started heading upstairs. Annie had reached them by that stage.

“What are you doing here?”

“I love you!” Ryan said. “And I don’t need to have sex with you for me to know that.”

Annie smiled. “I love you too.”

“So marry me then.” He said to Annie’s surprize.

“What?” Annie said taken aback. “Are you serious?”

“Kirsty got married when she was our age.”

“Yeah...” Annie agreed with him. “But she got divorced when she was 22.”

“But that was different. That was because they weren’t together, he was in jail and she was here. But if we get married, I promise I will always be with you.”

“I don’t know what to say.” Annie said.

“Three letter word beginning with a ye- and ending with an -ess.”

“Irene and Geoff would never let us.” Annie told him.

“Eight months until your eighteen, eleven until I am.”

“What did I say last night Ryan?” She asked him. “I thought after everything this would be the last thing you’d spring on me.”

“So that a no?”

Annie shook her head. “It’s a not now.”

Lila was putting some plates into her kitchen cupboard when she spotted something out of the corner of her eye. She looked out her window into the backyard and saw the Border Collie happily digging through her garden. She opened the back door. “Come here Doggie.” She said and happily patted the dog when she did run to her.

“Will daddy and Uncle Jack be home for dinner?” Kaley asked.

“Don’t know sweetie.” Martha answered.

Kirsty and Ollie walked into the diner. She spotted Paul and walked to him. “Is Irene in?” She asked.

Paul smiled. “When did you get back?” He asked.

“Just then.” She answered.

“Nan’s in the kitchen.” He told her. He rubbed Ollie’s head playfully. “I will get her for you.” He said getting up.

“No, I will.” Belle said standing up. “I want to ask her something anyway.”

She walked into the kitchen where Irene was preparing some sandwiches. Colleen was there too just chatting to her about nonsense.

“Employees only in the kitchen Belle...” Colleen said. “...I’m sorry but we can’t have rules for others and not for you too.”

“Colleen, it’s alright.” Irene said. “What’s up love?”

“Kirsty is out there looking for you but before you go out there though, I need to ask you something.” Belle looked up at Colleen who knew what to do.

“I’ll just give table eight their sandwiches.” She said. She grabbed the plates and left.

“I was wondering if Tink and I could...” But before she finished the sentence the Diner shook...

Literally, the whole building did actually. Belle grabbed Irene and moved her away from the shelves. They both heard a crack. Belle looked up at the ceiling. A steel beam fell down. Because Belle had moved Irene it missed Irene but unfortunately Belle was right below it.

VI) Ghost In the Machine

“Ouga Chaka ouga!”

Belle could hear music. She opened her eyes and saw what appeared to be the Diner’s kitchen only whiter- no make that lighter or was it brighter? Anyway it was as if the walls that were purple were now gone and there was just a bright fluorescents that the diner just sat in the middle of. She stood up and dusted herself off, well at least she tried to but there was nothing on her.

Suddenly she realized she weren’t alone in the kitchen.

A baby was hiding behind an open cupboard door.

“Hello there.” Belle said with a smile. “Come out little one.” Suddenly Belle got a sharp pain in her gut. “Ouch.”

“I can't stop this feeling

Deep inside of me.

Girl, you just don't realize

What you do to me.”

The baby stopped hiding and started running away.

“I'm hooked on a feeling,

I'm high on believing,

That your in love with me.”

Belle began to chase after him. “Come back. It’s okay. I won’t hurt you.”

“Just let him go.” A male voice said from next to her.

The baby disappeared into the fluorescent non-walls.

“Where is he going?” Belle asked. She turned to see who it was that was speaking to her. “Dan!”

“Hello Belle.” Dan Baker sat down on the bench wearing a pure white tuxedo. “He’s going to a happy place, don’t worry. He wasn’t suppose to exist anyway.”

“What do you mean?” Belle was confused. Dan died almost three years ago yet here he was sitting next to her.

“I’ll explain it to you soon enough. You have more important things to worry about.” Dan explained. “You have a huge choice to make.”

“Did I die?” Belle asked. “Because if I did I have to say Heaven is very overrated.” She smartly commented.

“Belle you aren’t dead, well not really, not yet... That’s why we’re here...” He tried to explain but Belle was overly confused. “...Maybe I should show you instead.”

They appeared on the beach not too far from the Surf Club. There was a crowd on the beach in the distance, people dressed in formal. She could make out a lady in a wedding dress but was too far away to see who it was.

“Is someone getting married?” Belle asked Dan the obvious question.

Dan nodded before walking towards them he stopped to look back at Belle. “Want to come see?”

Belle hesitated a bit before giving in. They walked up to the ceremony and began to watch the happy couple exchange vowels much to Belle’s surprise.

“Do you Kirsty take Miles to be your lawful married husband?” The female celebrant in her early forties asked the glittery bride.

“I do.” Kirsty said with a slight chuckle. She looked up into the eyes of Miles and stared so lovingly into them.

Dan took Belle by the hand and took her to an empty chair which had a small leaflet on it.

“Look at the date.” Dan told Belle.

Belle read the date out loud. “The ninth of October two thousand and ten. Today’s date.”

“Have a good look in the crowd.” Dan said.

Belle did just that and first noticed VJ as he was fidgeting the most out of any of the guests. He made a paper plane out of a leaflet but before he could have any fun with it Leah took it off him and gave it to Vinnie. Vinnie folded it up and pocketed it before giving VJ a stern look. He then leant in and gave Leah a kiss on the cheek.

“Leah is with Vinnie.” Belle said.

“He’s the only person that ever truly made her happy...” Dan admitted. “...Well apart from me.” He added.

The guests applauded as Kirsty kissed Miles for the first time as his wife. Belle continued to look at the guests, seeing Sally there and Cassie too. She then noticed Kirsty in among the crowd as well. Belle then looked at Kirsty with Miles. She then looked at Kirsty as a part of the guests.

“It’s her sister.” Dan told Belle with a chuckle, she was already confused enough the poor girl.

Belle then turned her attention to the Bridal Party and apart from the blonde girl who was one of the bridesmaids, Belle knew the rest. Irene looked stunning as the matron of honor and Melody was gorgeous as a bridesmaid. Oliver was the cutest paige boy ever and Jai looked handsome as a Groomsman. But Belle was surprised to see someone else there. Alf.

“Everyone looks so happy.” Belle said with a smile.

“Everybody is happy, even Geoff.” Dan pointed him out in the crowd.

Geoff was there holding Nicole’s hand both of them looking happy together.

“Why isn’t he with me?” Belle asked with a little anger in her voice.

“Because you aren’t here.”

“Why aren’t I here?”

Dan thought it was time to explain to her what exactly he was showing her. “This is today. What today is suppose to be like. What is suppose to happen.”

“Suppose to?”

“Our actions determine what happens...” He explained. “...If you walk to work instead of drive that could impact your whole day. So if something happens that wasn’t suppose to the whole world could be different. Happier. Sadder.” Dan pointed to Alf. “Take Mr. Stewart for example, standing there looking proud of Miles, he should be too. I mean he has a whole lot to do with why they are here getting married. Always good with advice when you need it. When you can get it which you can’t if he is let’s say lying in a hospital bed on life support. You starting to get me?”

“All this is because Mr. Stewart isn’t on life support?” Belle asked.

“Well yes and no.” Dan said. “It’s a big part of it.”

“Didn’t the fire happen in this reality?” Belle asked thinking she had worked it all out.

“Oh no it happened alright.”

“So how come Mr. Stewart is alright?”

“Because...” Dan said with some hesitation. “...Because in this reality Aden chose to save him first instead of you.”

Suddenly Belle felt sick in the stomach. “Where is Aden...?” She asked raising her voice. “Take me there!” She demanded.

Dan did what he was asked and Belle found herself in a graveyard, making her feel even worst.

“I knew it.” Belle said.

“No you don’t.” Dan said. “It’s not what you think at all.” He pointed Aden out.

Belle was relieved to see him standing at a grave, holding Tink.

“Who’s grave is it?” Belle asked Dan.

“I’m not stopping you from having a look yourself.” Dan told her.

Belle stepped forward and read the tombstone. She began to cry.

“I’m sorry Belle.” Dan said.

Aden placed a flower down on the tombstone. He then pointed to the grave. “Say hi to mummy Tink. I know she’s in heaven but she can still hear you.”

“Take me away!” Belle demanded.

Dan did just that and they ended up back in the Diner.

“Why would you show me that?” Belle asked wiping her tears away with her hands.”

“I had to show you what the world was suppose to be like.”

“A world without me.”

“Yes.” Dan admitted. “A world without you but a better world, a happier world, a happier Summer Bay.”

“Yes because my life means so much to everyone.” Belle said sarcastically, worthlessly.

“I’m not here to make you feel better. But I will tell you this the reason the world is like the way it is, why you are still alive in it is because Aden chose it. He chose for you to live.”

“And he wasn’t suppose to?” Belle began to figure it out. “Well why give him the choice?”

“I didn’t!” Dan said. “His mother did and believe me she wasn’t suppose to and has been punished severely for doing so.”

“So what’s the choice I’ve got?”

“It’s not much of one, I’m afraid. Tomorrow Summer Bay will be given the chance to wipe the slate clean, start fresh and in time it will be a better place for it.”

“And what do I have to do?”

“Things are becoming unpredictable, it’s as if fate doesn’t play a hand anymore so now we have to put fate in your hands...” He stepped in close to her and whispered what she had to do into her ear as if someone else was able to hear it if he didn’t.

Belle shook her head. “I won’t do that. I refuse.” She told him.

“That’s your choice to make but let me show what life in Summer Bay will be like if you don’t.”

Suddenly they appeared on what looked like the beach or what was left of it. Some buildings not high rises were standing by the road blocking any view of the beach from the other side. One Building caught Belle’s attention, it was a huge Five Star Hotel, the Macklin.

“Where are we?” Belle asked the obvious question.

“Summer Bay.” Dan answered even though he already knew she knew the answer.

“When are we?” Belle asked this time choosing the word she used a little more carefully.

“Aril 15th 2018”

“But that’s only eight years away.” Belle said.

“A lot can change in eight years.” Dan took her by the hand. “Why don’t we see what the Diner’s like.”

They walked up the beach and Belle wondered where the Diner will be as it looked like the Surf Club had long been gone. Dan took her to one of the buildings and Belle read the neon sign that stood in front of it.

“Bonza Burgers?” Belle said almost disgusted. “That’s a fast food chain not a diner.”

Dan shrugged.

“Who runs it?”

Dan pulled her inside so she can look for herself. The restaurant was filled with customers lined up almost to the door. Belle looked at the teenagers working in there all of them in a rush, getting orders, cooking them, and then she heard a familiar voice barking orders for them.

“Annie!” Belle said as she got up close to have a look at the young woman, the heavily pregnant young woman who wore cheap makeup to hide the small smokers scars she had around her lips. She was a mess.

“This is baby number five for her.”

“Five?” Said Belle in a state of disbelief.

“She had two with Ryan...” Dan explained to her. “One with Michael Davies and the other two well they could be anybody’s guess really.”

“There is no way Geoff would allow this to happen.” Belle said.

“Well why don’t we pay the young Reverend a visit?” Dan asked and suddenly they appeared outside St. James Church.

Belle noticed the balding Geoff instantly. He was busy trying to clean the graffiti filled brickwork of the church.

“He made it as a Reverend.” Belle smiled.

“But at what price?” Dan said. “He drove away his whole family. Becoming a minister of religion meant the world to Geoff but unfortunately for him his family didn’t mean as much and now they’ve gone.”

“I left him.”

“He drove you away.”

“Where am I?”

They then appeared inside the foyer of the Macklin.

An elderly couple were arguing with the lady at reception, Belle.

“It says that last night that I watched a film called Pussy Palace Five...” The woman said to Belle. “...I watched no such thing.”

Belle looked flustered. She typed a few keys on the keyboard and looked at the Computer screen. “Well I’m very sorry Mrs Freeman but somebody in your room ordered it and it has to be paid for.”

“Well who ordered it then?” The lady asked Belle who looked up at the lady’s husband. “I hope you aren’t suggesting that my husband ordered it my husband doesn’t watch filth.” She was offended. “I would like to speak to your manager.”

Belle smiled with relief that she doesn’t have to handle the impossible woman anymore.

“Why would I work here?” Belle, the non receptionist Belle that is asked Dan. “I have no interest in reception work.

“You needed to work somewhere and fortunately with this job you knew the owner.”

An overweight Martha walked out of her office and over to the desk with Belle and the older couple.

“What’s happened with Martha? She was so beautiful.”

“She has a business to run and can’t find the time to look after herself she also doesn’t want to.”

“Why not?”

Dan shrugged. “Sometimes women lose that will after they lose their husbands.”

“Jack died?” Belle asked horrified.

Dan shook his head. “Not Jack, Roman.”

“Roman? Why would Martha marry Roman?”

“It was the only way she could be with Alfie, but don’t worry she wasn’t unhappy for long she ended up falling in love with him.”

“And what about Jack?”

“Moved to the city with Tony after the divorce. He’s unhappily married to wife number three or is that four? I don’t know whether you include Martha twice.”

“Everyone is miserable.” Belle said.

Dan showed his agreement with her by nodding. “Have we seen enough yet?”

“First show me Irene.” Belle said.

Dan nodded and they appeared outside the Housing Commission Flats in Yabbie Creek.

“Before I show you, I’ve got to tell you Belle...” Dan hesitated for a second before deciding to tell her. “...It isn’t pretty.”

Thy appeared in the flat and they both instantly blocked their noses. The smell of Alcohol and cigarettes filled the space like they were at a Pub in the 1980’s. Empty wine bottles decorated the floor as well. Belle spotted Irene asleep on the lounge, or passed out. She looked twenty years older, grey hair, wrinkles all over her.

“Irene!” Belle called out to her in tears. “This isn’t you, what are you doing?” Belle tried to nudge her but her hand just went straight through her. “Why would I let this happen to her? Paul? Geoff?”

“Irene hurt a lot of people...” Dan gave her a brief explanation. “Nobody is in her life anymore because nobody wants to be in her life anymore.”

“Okay.” Belle said to Dan. “I’ve seen enough, I know what I have to do.”

Suddenly Belle woke up outside the Surf Club with a crowd of people looking at her. But Irene, Paul and Colleen were in the front row.

“Belle, are you okay?” Irene asked.

“What happened?” Was what Belle managed to cough out.

“We think it was an Earthquake, Darl, but you are alright, you were lucky.” Irene told her. “A beam was about to land right on you, luckily, you managed to jump out of the way just in time but you hit your head and knocked yourself out when you did you silly bugger.”

“That explains my headache.” Belle joked. She began to get up...

“Belle stay down the ambulance is on its way.” Paul told her. “Just don’t move.”

“Now love...” Irene said. “...I don’t want to alarm you but...”

“Where’s Tink?” Belle interrupted.

“Tink’s fine love...” Irene assured her.

“She’s here.” Martha held her up for her to see.

“The Diner?” Belle lifted her head to see the damage.

“It’s still standing, love, for now at least.” Irene said.

“Oh the poor thing.” Colleen sobbed.

“Love, don’t be too alarmed but you are bleeding, down there.” Irene told her gently rubbing her face to comfort her.

“My baby Irene!” Belle said to her. “I’ve lost him.” She began to cry.

They heard the sound of a siren.

• 2 weeks later...

VII) Eye Of The Tiger

“Is Belle alright?” Jazz asked as Tony put his mobile back in his pocket.

“They’re keeping her in overnight for observation but Irene seems to think she’ll be okay.” Tony answered.

Angel took a sip of Champagne. “I feel awful about what happened to Belle but I’m glad the Earthquake didn’t do any damage here.”

They were in a newly built club at the location of the old Pier Diner. With an investment from Angel, Jazz and Tony are about to re-open Noah’s. With two levels, Summer Bay Super Bods and The Jazz Juice bar on the bottom level and the Angel Bar on the top level where Angel, Jazz and Tony were toasting a job well done on having it ready for the opening next week. They have all put their hearts and souls into it but none more so then Tony and he was really proud of his effort.

“So how much damage was done to the diner?” Jazz asked.

“Their still surveying it...” Tony explained. “But according to Irene not a lot, just the ceiling collapsed a bit in the kitchen and a few cracks in the walls.”

“Lucky!” Angel said. She downed the rest of her champagne and placed the glass on the bar.

Tony’s mobile phone rang, he looked at the number. “It’s Adam.” He answered it. “Hey mate, any news on Lucas?” He disappeared into the office.

Jazz began to cough.

“You alright?” Angel asked.

Jazz nodded while continuing to cough. Angel rubbed her back and the coughing stopped.

“Thanks.” Jazz said to her friend. “I was holding it in for a while.”

“Why don’t you tell him?” Angel asked with concern in her voice. “You have to tell him sooner or later.”

“I can’t tell him Angel it would kill him.” Jazz explained before letting out another small cough.

“You okay?” Tony asked coming out of the office.

“Yeah just a cough.” Jazz said. “Must be the paint fumes.” She said thinking quickly. “Any news?”

“Not yet...” Tony said. “...And I’m getting really worried maybe we should go out and look for him ourselves.”

“Sounds like a good idea.” Jazz agreed.

“I better go home anyway and let Vinnie off the hook.” Angel said. “If you need anything call me.”

“Thanks Angel.” Jazz said before Angel disappeared downstairs. “He’ll be alright Tony.” Jazz assured him.

“Why do you build me up, buttercup baby just to let me down? And mess me around....” Hugh was singing loudly, getting on the nerves of Lucas. “...And then worst of all, you never call baby when you say you will...” He waited to see if Lucas would join in but he didn’t so Hugh just kept on having fun with him. He walked right up to Lucas and knelt down in front of the milk crate Lucas was sitting on. “But I love you still. I need you more then anyone darling you know that I have from the start. So build me up Buttercup don’t break my heart.” Hugh leant forward and tried to give Lucas a kiss but Lucas pushed him away. Hugh got up and looked at Lucas who gave him a glare before turning away from him. Hugh smiled. “I’ll be over at ten I’ve told you time and again but you’re late, I wait around and then...”

Lucas started bouncing his head up and down and began to sing softly. “So no one told you life was going to be this way. Your job’s a joke, you’re broke, your love life’s DOA...” He turned to look at Hugh. “It’s like you’re always stuck in second gear...”

“...Well it hasn’t been your day, your week, your month, or even your year but...” Hugh sang “...I’ll be there for you...”

They sang together both of them laughing. “...Cause you’re there for me too!” And then they both cracked up laughing.

“That’s the first time I’ve ever seen you smile.” Hugh told him. “I’ve had a lot of clients you know, see a lot of them waist their lives, become miserable, lose everything. I don’t want to see that happen to you. Hugh reached into the pocket of Lucas and pulled out a small bag of ice and placed it into his own pocket.

“I need it.” Lucas told him.

“Why?”

“Because my life is screwed up and it helps me escape.”

Hugh nodded. “Yeah it will but you don’t need to escape you need to face your problems and deal with it.”

“What would you know?” Lucas asked him.

“Because I use to be you... Too bloody smart for my own good and now look at me. I make my money by ruining lives. You don’t want to be like me Lucas.”

Lucas walked away from him and sat back down on the milk crate, Hugh followed him and knelt down in front of him.

“Tell me why your life is so screwed up.”

“My mum died when I was little...” Lucas began after a moment of hesitating. “I don’t remember her much at all. But I do know she loved us, Dad, Jack and myself. I remember that from her, I could see it in her face.” Lucas looked at Hugh and smiled, he smiled back then the smile on the face of Lucas faded as he continued the story. “She died in a car accident, Dad was driving, they were arguing and Dad lost control and ran into a tree. All these years everybody felt for him, how terrible it must have been for him to live and for her to die. I was only little but I even felt bad for the guy because he loved mum so bloody much and she was gone.” Lucas tried to hold tears back but he wasn’t that strong and they fell down his cheek. “It wasn’t until recently we learnt the truth, the reason they were arguing. She found out that he had an affair with another lady and he had a son with her.” Lucas laughed. “And now this guy, this stranger who is only two years older then me walks into our lives with his little girl and ‘hey lets all be one happy family fa la la la la’... the pricks.” Lucas looked at Hugh. “I hate him, I hate them, he killed my mother and nobody cares.”

Hugh kissed him and this time Lucas let him.

Jai sat down at Jump Rock looking out, watching the sunset. After the sky turned from orange to navy he stood up to head back home.

As he headed down the track, about half a dozen boys the same age surrounded him. A well built ugly red headed kid stood in the middle. “Where’s your pretty boy boyfriend?” he asked Jai mocking.

“What?” Jai asked.

One of the guys pushed Jai over. Jai fell backwards onto the hard ground, he looked at his grazed arm before looking up at the boys.

Spence, the ugly red-head stood over him. “Ryan Baker!”

Jai shrugged.

“When you see him, tell him we’re waiting here for him.” Spence told him before stepping on his chest. “If he doesn’t show, he’ll regret it.”

The boys walked off leaving Jai struggling to breath. “We’ll see.” Jai said to himself.

Lucas layed on the dirty ground but was quite comfortable in Hugh’s broad arms as Hugh spooned up close to him. Hugh the gave Lucas a kiss on the back of his neck. Lucas, although nervous enjoyed it. He felt wanted, for the first time in a long time.

“Stay where you are!” A voice shouted.

Both Lucas and Hugh looked up as Adam walked into the abattoir holding the gun to them. Jack followed in behind him and got a shock to see both boys there, not because they were there but because they were there naked, in each-others arms.

“You got me.” Hugh said smiling.

Jack ran to him and began punching into him. “What did you do to him?” Jack asked.

Adam quickly placed the weapon in its holster and pulled Jack off him.

“He’s my boyfriend.” Lucas told Jack before searching the ground for his clothes.

Jack looked up at Adam.

Adam thought quickly he picked up one of the pairs of jeans that were on the ground and searched the pockets, pulling a pistol out of one and the bag of ice out of the other, he threw the jeans at Hugh. “I’m guessing they belong to you.”

Hugh smiled as he pulled his jeans up his legs as soon as he finished Jack quickly cuffed him. He looked at Lucas. “Get dressed!” He told him in the most angry voice Lucas had ever heard.

Jai walked into the Summer Bay house, Ruby Buckton was watching television. She looked up at Jai and smiled. “Miles is out, we’re ordering Pizza.” She told him.

“Mmmm.” Jai said.

Melody Jones walked in from upstairs, she looked at Jai. “Hey.” She said with a smile.

Jai walked towards the stairs but held his chest in pain.

“Jai...” Said Melody. “What happened?”

Ruby looked at Jai when he didn’t answer and immediately spotted the graze on his arm. She rushed over. “Did you get into a fight?”

Jai shook his head. He looked to Melody. “I ran into your psycho ex at jump rock.” He said to her.

Ruby chuckled. “Which one?” She asked.

“That FOT from Yabbie Creek High.” Jai said.

“Fot?” Ruby asked.

“Effen Orange Top” Melody answered for Jai. “What happened?”

“Him and about ten of his mates are at Jump Rock waiting for Ryan... He says if he doesn’t show he’ll regret it.”

Melody rolled her eyes before heading out the door. Jai chased after her and stopped her just outside Colleen’s Motor Home. Colleen was watering her garden and couldn’t help but listen in.

“Melody, what are you doing?” Jai asked her.

“I’m telling Ryan and putting a stop to it once and for all.” Melody answered.

“You can’t tell Ryan he’ll go to Jump Rock and get himself killed.” Jai told her. “We’ll have to tell Miles and maybe he will do something about.”

“Yeah because it worked so well the last time.” Ruby said catching up to them.

“We’ll ask Ryan...” Melody said.

“Ask him what...?” Jai said sarcastically. “Do you want to go to Jump Rock and get killed by Troy Spencer? Or not go to Jump Rock and get killed by him?”

“Oh dear!” Colleen said to herself.

“Why don’t we go see Adam and see if he can help us?” Ruby suggested.

“We can’t go to the police... No matter what, the Yabbie Creek boys will just come after us.” Jai said.

“We tell Ryan and at least warn him about it and if he wants to meet them then we go to the police.” Melody told them.

Jai and Ruby looked at each other and nodded. They headed off leaving Colleen to look worried.

Angel was washing the dishes in the kitchen listening to the radio. She looked down and watched the kids in the pool out the back.

Shayne and Olivia were in the pool in the shallow end, chatting. Jarred was leaning off the side off the pool at the deep side. VJ and Vinnie sat at the edge with their feet in the water.

“...So if it gets infected will green puss come out of it?” Jarred asked VJ.

“Dad?”

“Yup and your intestines will be growing out of your body too.” Vinnie answered with a chuckle.

“Can I see the stitches?” Jarred asked.

Vinnie lifted up his shirt and peeled off the bandage and showed Jarred the stitching where he had the operation.

“Gross.” Jarred said. “Is yours bigger?” He asked VJ.

“Bout the same I guess.” VJ said with a shrug.

“Does your dad’s kidney feel different?” Jarred asked.

VJ nodded.

“What happens if your dad gets sick? Will you have to give him the kidney back?”

“No mate. It’s his for keeps.” Vinnie said.

“Where have you been?” Irene asked as Annie walked through the back door.

Irene was sitting at the dining table, she was doing a Sudoku puzzle or trying to all she could do was think about Belle. Both Paul and Ryan were sitting on the lounge watching television, or facing towards the black screen, they forgot to turn it on. Geoff was nowhere to be seen. He wasn’t there, he was at his home watching Tink sleep.

“Scruffie went walkabouts Irene I just had a look for him.” Annie answered.

“Any luck?” Irene asked

Annie shook her head.

“Did you try next door?” Paul asked her.

“I’m too scared too.”

She sat down on the lounge with the boys and all three sat down quiet.

Then there was a knock at the door.

“It’s not a good time love.” Irene said getting up.

Lila stood there holding a dish. “I know I heard about Belle and I made too much Stroganoff earlier, thought you might like some.”

Irene took the dish off her. “Thanks love...” She said with a smile. “...I haven’t had a chance to make anything yet and it smells wonderful.”

“Your welcome.” Lila said.

“Love, there’s something else. Annie’s dog has gone walkabouts again, have you seen her?” Irene asked with a warm a voice.

Lila looked down at the plate Irene had in her hand. She then looked up at her. “No not since this afternoon.”

“Tah love, I’ll see you later hey?”

Lila walked away, Irene was about to close the door but Melody, Jai and Ruby appeared giving Irene a fright.

“Gawd Save Ireland!” Irene said. “You scared me half to death.”

“Sorry.” Jai said.

“Could we talk with Ryan please, Miss Roberts?” Melody asked politely.

Irene gestured for them to come in which they did.

“What’s up?” Ryan asked not moving from his seat.

Jai looked at Irene, Paul and Annie who were all eyes. “Um can we...? It’s kind of private.”

Irene and Annie rolled their eyes, Paul looked up curiously. “You can go into my room if you want.” Paul told them.

Ryan got up and headed for Paul’s room.

“Paul too!” Ruby whispered, Jai shook his head but Melody agreed. “Paul we need to ask you too.”

Paul shrugged and they walked into Paul’s room. Annie and Irene looked at each other curious about what’s going on.

Ruby closed the door.

“What is it?” Ryan asked.

“Troy Spencer and a dozen of his mates are waiting at Jump Rock for you. He still wants to fight you.” Melody told him without hesitating.

“Still?” Ryan asked.

“He said if you don’t show up you’ll regret it.” Jai said.

“Do you want me to go there?” Ryan asked them.

“We don’t know what you should do.” Ruby said.

“I reckon you should go there and knock that renger out...” Paul said. “I’ll help.” he added.

“The guys a complete psycho.” Jai told them.

“Yeah but I can’t just keep avoiding him.” Ryan said.

“You need to talk to Adam or Jack or someone...” Melody said. “...Before you get hurt.”

“What will they do though?” Paul asked. “They can’t do anything unless he touches him... ”

“I know you like him.” Olivia said to Shayne.

“I don’t like him.” Shayne said disgusted of the thought- well at least she played it well.

“You didn’t feel anything when he kissed you?”

“OH GROSS!” Shayne said disgusted for real that time. “Why?” She said with a smile. “Did you?”

Olivia didn’t answer. Shayne laughed, her silence said it all. Shayne splashed Olivia who in turn splashed her back. A water fight began between the two of them and although they were having fun, it looked a little dangerous from Vinnie’s point of view, he walked over to tell them to stop but ended up being soaked. The two girls laughed.

“Sorry Vinnie.” Shayne said in between laughs.

Vinnie smiled and grabbed a towel to dry himself off a bit. “I’ll be back in a second.” He walked up to the back door of the house and took his shirt off before walking inside.

Angel looked at him and laughed. “You do realize they are fourteen year olds, you can’t win.”

Vinnie smiled.

His hair was still a bit wet, it was dripping down his face to his fit, shirtless body, Angel couldn’t help but notice it. The bandage on his side was also wet. Vinnie felt it and peeled it off to check the stitching.

“Oh I forgot...” Angel said rushing over to check. “Is it okay?” She asked.

“Nothing more than what the shower does to it.” Vinnie answered.

Suddenly the radio began to play a familiar song and Angel realized what it meant. It was a sign. She placed her hand on Vinnie’s side, above the stitches and slowly brought it up to his chest to feel his heart beating faster.

‘I will come for you at night time

I will raise you from your sleep

I will kiss you in four places

I'll go running along your street

I will squeeze the life out of you

You will make me laugh and make me cry

We will never forget it

You will make me call your name and I'll shout it to the blue summer sky

We may never meet again

So shed your skin and lets get started

And you will throw your arms around me’

“Is your dad alright? Did the stitches get infected?” Jarred asked VJ.

“I might check.” VJ said before rushing to the door.

Angel kissed Vinnie, softly, slowly, beautifully.

‘I dreamed of you at night time

And I watched you in your sleep

I met you in high places

I touched your head and touched your feet

So if you dissapear out of view

You know, I will never say goodbye

Though I try to forget it

You will make me call your name and I'll shout it to the blue summer sky’

VJ walked inside and saw it. Up until then he thought it was possible for his parents to reconcile. VJ ran off and neither Angel or Vinnie knew he saw it.

VJ ran up to the gate and ran into the trees. The kids saw him and wondered what was going on.

“Where’s he going?” Jarred asked.

Shane looked through to the kitchen window and could see her mother pashing VJ’s father. She got out of the pool grabbed her towel and went to chase VJ.

“Do you think I made the right choice?” Ryan asked Paul as they played their PS3 in Paul’s bedroom.

Paul shook his head. “I think not turning up will just **** him more off.”

Ryan nodded, he looked around Paul’s room and saw his acoustic guitar leaning up against his wardrobe. “Hey? What happened to the band we’ll going to start?” Ryan asked taking the conversations and his thoughts away from Troy Spencer.

“I’m the only one with talent.” Paul said with a laugh.

“Talent?” Ryan questioned.

“Hey!” Paul said he grabbed the guitar. “How many people in the bay can play like this?”

He started playing.

“Breathe, breathe in the air. 
Don't be afraid to care. 
Leave but don't leave me. 
Look around and choose your own ground.”

Lucas sat down at the Police Station. He waited in the waiting room. Tony ran inside and looked at Lucas. Lucas looked at him. Tony smiled and then Lucas turned away. 

“Long you live and high you fly 
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry 
And all you touch and all you see 
Is all your life will ever be.”

Irene was washing up the dishes, she was scrubbing a plate and no matter how hard she scrubbed it wasn’t getting cleaned. She dropped the plate into the sink and threw the scrubbing brush with frustration. She then cried. 

“Run, rabbit run. 
Dig that hole, forget the sun, 
And when at last the work is done 
Don't sit down it's time to dig another one.”

Martha took Kaley into her bedroom. Kaley hopped into bed and Martha tucked her in, giving her a kiss on the cheek.

Adam knocked on a door, Lila answered it and let him inside.

“For long you live and high you fly 
But only if you ride the tide 
And balanced on the biggest wave 
You race towards an early grave.”

VJ ran up to Jump Rock. He looked down at the water below. He then heard a laugh from behind.

“The chicken has to bring his little brother to fight his battles for him.”

VJ turned around to see the chubby ginger and his mates.

• 3 weeks later...

VIII) 99 Luftballons

“That’s enough!” One of the boys warned Spence but Spence ignored him and kept kicking into VJ. The guys pulled the bigger kid off VJ, he was putting up a fight with them to keep at the young teenager but they were too strong for him and Spence gave up.

Shayne walked up the pathway over towards Jump Rock. The Yabbie Creek boys ran passed her in the opposite direction, she stopped for a second to watch the guilty looking boys run off before looking at where they were running from.

VJ layed lifeless on the ground.

“VJ?” She yelled before running to him. She shook him a little harder then what she was suppose to but didn’t get a response, she saw blood leaking through his bandage. “SOMEBODY HELP!” She called out as loudly as possible.

“We almost lost you buddy.” Miles said to VJ as he opened his eyes in the bright fluorescent hospital room.

“How’s dad?” VJ asked.

“I’m right here mate.”

VJ turned to the bed next to him and saw his father looking at him, smiling.

“The operation was a success. Your body accepted your father’s kidney.”

“Where’s mum?” VJ asked.

“I’ll just go get her.” Miles said and disappeared out of the room.

“How are you doing mate?” Vinnie asked with a scratchy throat.

“I’m all good... dad.” He turned to look at him properly. “AHH!” He cried as he held his side in pain.

“Easy buddy.” Vinnie warned him.

“Almost all good.” VJ smiled. “Alive at least. Thanks to you dad.”

“VJ stay with me please.” Shayne cried as she continued to shake him. “SOMEBODY HELP!” But nobody was in hearing distance, even the boys that did it to him were long gone. “VJ please don’t die.” She pleaded. She wished she had her phone on her, that she knew CPR, that she could do something.

“Belle? Are you really here?” Alf Stewart asked as Belle sat down on the Blaxland with him this time.

Belle ignored him, she wasn’t looking at him, she looked a mess. She was crying. “Round the world and home again, that’s the sailor’s way.” She said with a forced smile. “Faster! Faster!” She yelled.

The Blaxland picked up to a dangerous speed and began to travel into an extremely dark tunnel.

“Faster! Faster!” Belle yelled.

“Where are we going Belle?” Alf asked. This wasn’t at all how his dream usually went. “This is too fast!”

Belle began to sing. “There’s no earthly way of knowing, which direction we are going. There’s no knowing where we’re rowing or which way the river’s flowing. Is it raining? Is it snowing? Is a hurricane a-blowing?”

Alf tapped Belle on the shoulder. “Are you alright? Love?”

Belle stared at Alf with a worrying look in her eyes. “Not a speck of light is showing so the danger must be growing. Are the fires of Hell a-glowing? Is the grisly reaper mowing?”

This is the strangest dream Alf had ever had he looked up at the walls of the tunnel and images of his life were showing like scenes from movies. Duncan’s birth, Ailsa’s death, Seb, Ric, Martha, Roo, Celia, Morag. All important moments.

“YES!” Belle shouted. “The danger must be growing for the rowers keep on rowing and they’re certainly not showing...”

Suddenly a huge fluorescent light invaded their space.

“...Any signs that they are slowing!”

The boat stopped at the pier. Alf looked out at the pier and he smiled at the familiar faces standing there.

“We’re here!” Belle said as she wiped her tears from her face.

“Strike me flaming rone!”

“G’day Alf.” A familiar voice said.

“VJ!” Shayne didn’t know whether to leave him for help or to stay there with him. She found it hard to breathe, she was emotionally exhausted.

“SOMEBBBBOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDYYYYY!” She screamed with some strength that was still in her. “HHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLP!”

VJ opened his eyes to see a fluorescent light.

“Go back VJ!” A voice said.

“Dan?” VJ floated away from himself towards the light.

“It isn’t your time.” VJ heard Dan’s voice again.

“I want to see you Dan. I miss you.” VJ cried heading further into the light.

Alf stepped off the boat and onto the pier. He looked at Belle and waved. Alf walked over to greet an old mate.

“We’ve been expecting you.” Tom Fletcher said with a smile.

Tom grabbed Alf by his arm and practically dragged him towards the light.

“Where are you taking me Tom?” Alf asked.

“Isn’t it obvious?” Tom laughed. “Now come on...” He said. “...Ailsa is waiting.”

Alf stopped. “Ailsa?”

“Martha too. They can’t wait to see you.” Tom tried nudging Alf along but he wouldn’t budge.

“They aren’t the only ones.” Alf admitted to Tom. “Martha needs me, I still haven’t sorted everything out with Duncan or Quinn and Roo for that matter.”

“They all love you.” Tom told him.

“And I love them.” Alf admitted looking back onto the boat. “I have to go back.”

“But it’s your time...” Tom explained. “It’s time for you to move on Alf.”

“And I will.” Alf said heading towards the Blaxland.

“VJ, there’s so much more for you to experience.” Dan spoke to VJ. “You can’t leave your mother.”

“She’ll do fine without me. I’m ready.”

“But it isn’t your turn!”

“This is it Dan!” Said VJ aggressively. “I know it is. I can feel it.”

“Alf Stewart!” Michael Ross walked over to him and shook his hand. “I have to admit I didn’t think I would have been waiting this long to see your face again.”

Alf looked at both Tom and Michael standing there next to each other. “If only Pippa were here, hey?” He joked. “You get on alright you two?”

“We do.” Michael admitted to him.

“We’ve got a lot in common.” Tom added. “Like Martha and Ailsa. And both of them are waiting for you, Alf?”

“What are you waiting on?” A young man said, Alf turned to see him.

“Shane.” Alf smiled. “You’re daughter is a beautiful kid. You should be proud.”

“I am.” Shane said. “I wanted to be here to see you in but I’m afraid I have to watch over her. She needs me.”

“Well go on.” Alf ordered him.

“I’ll catch up with you later Mr. Stewart.” Shane said before disappearing.

“Yeah.” Alf said unconvincingly.

“Please God...” Shayne cried. “Don’t let VJ die.”

“VJ!” Shayne heard Vinnie’s voice.

“Shayne!” Angel called out.

“We’re here!” Shayne yelled. “Help!” She cried. She then held VJ’s cold hand. “You’ll be fine now.” She assured the boy.

“I need to go back. You may say it is my time but I just don’t believe it.” Alf told both Michael and Tom. “I’ve just spent the last couple of months hearing about how much Martha needs me and I just can’t leave her.”

“So you are refusing?” Tom questioned.

Alf nodded.

“Just think about it more carefully.” Michael told him.

Vinnie pushed Shayne out of the way. He tilted VJ’s head back opened his mouth, blocked his nose and gave him two breaths. He wiped his face clear of tears and began given him compressions.

Shayne grabbed hold of her mother and cried into her shoulder.

VJ started floating away from the light and back down. He felt the pressure on his chest.

“Dan!” VJ cried out.

“You’re going back now VJ.” Dan told him. “I can’t do anything about it.”

“I’ve made up my mind.” Alf said. “I’m going back.”

“Are you certain?” Michael asked.

Alf looked at Tom who looked deeply hurt by his decision. “Yeah. I’m bloody sure of it.” Alf told them both.

“I thought you would have known better.” Tom lectured. “After what happened with Sally, she did tell you.”

Alf looked at him with worry.

“Because of your decision to stay. Someone else must go.” Tom said.

VJ floated back into the light and Dan grabbed him by the hand to help him up.

The ambulance arrived at Jump Rock. Vinnie was still giving VJ CPR, Shayne was hugging her mother, crying on her shoulder.

The paramedics raced to VJ’s aid, they saw Vinnie was carrying out the correct procedure so let him continue. They got the equipment they needed out of the van including a defibrillator. They began to set it up. Vinnie began to get a little more desperate with the compressions, pushing a little too hard. The younger of the paramedics then took over.

Vinnie ran towards the cliff edge he looked over. He knelt down and began to cry.

The paramedic stopped CPR and they placed him on the stretcher. The older paramedic ripped VJ’s shirt open to begin the defibrillation. They placed him into the van.

Vinnie began vomiting.

A shock went through VJ’s body. Nothing happened. The younger Paramedic looked at the older paramedic and nodded. Another shock went through VJ’s body. They both looked down at VJ who was violet in colour.

“We’re taking him to NDH!” The older paramedic told Angel. “Is anyone going to come?”

“Vinnie?” Angel asked.

But Vinnie was still sick.

“We’ll drive.” Angel told the paramedic knowing it was better to get VJ to the hospital quicker then to wait for Vinnie.

The Van door closed and the ambulance drove off, lights on but no siren.

Angel looked to Vinnie. Vinnie had stopped being sick. He looked at Angel.

“They’ve taken him to the hospital.” Angel told him. “I think we better hurry.”

Vinnie nodded. “Call Leah!”

Angel nodded.

Belle stood at Alf’s life support machine, her hand still on it. She was crying uncontrollably and then Alf began to cough. Belle looked down and Alf’s hand began moving. She couldn’t believe her eyes. Alf was alive.

Archived