The Last Train

Guest Liz

I can't find much information about it, but does anybody remember a drama series on ITV in the late 90s called 'The Last Train'?

There were people on a train when the world exploded (or something similar) but they were frozen in time and woke up 50 years later.

It doesn't sound particularly fantastic with that synopsis, but I loved it. Does anybody have any recollections or opinions?

I have the whole series recorded on tape from its first airing back in 1999 - it was brilliant and I'm shocked that its never been released on DVD.

Basically a group of people are on a train heading for Sheffield, just before they arrive they enter a tunnel and at that moment an asteroid hits the earth. One of the passengers is a young scientist, who knows about the impending impact and is on the way to ARK - a bunker somewhere up north. Anyways she's running severely late and the asteroid hits whilst the train is in the tunnel - the impact knocks a small cannister out of her bag and everyone in the carriage is immediately frozen - some cryogenic type fluid - they wake up what they think is not long after the impact and find Sheffield in a post-apocolyptic state.

It eventually transpires that they were frozen for about 50 years I think. The series just follows them on their journey to ARK to find out more

It really was a fantastic series but I do find that not a lot of people remember it! You've now made me want to dig the tapes out again....

Edit: OK I just found the Wiki article....could have saved that typing....never mind :P According to that it has now been released on DVD....but I think that is incorrect as its nowhere to be seen.... :huh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_last_train

Geeky Edit: Turns out I drove past ARK a couple of weeks ago....was an old power station near Doncaster....

• 2 weeks later...

I'll always remember watching the episode where the woman with the two children died. My mum was on the phone to my auntie Sharon and she had to hang up because I was crying my eyes out, screaming, "Mummy, don't ever leave me!".

It was very sad, but very very good. :)

Archived