New Neighbours DVD coming soon

Guest jamie232

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still not got my set yet but I looked up ep 4500 on Nfans and I'm...surprised they bothered. I mean I remember it being an ok episode and the Lyn/Liljana stuff was quite fun but there's definitely nothing iconic about it. I guess they just wanted to use the spot to tie up the Toadie episodes instead of including a new storyline on the disc.

4500 was just the run of the mill typical episode, nothing real special… they should have had any one of the Karl/Susan/Izzy classics; there are loads to choose from.

Yeah the Lim’s were much worse when they had scenes involving only them, but to be honest I didn’t mind them, even though the acting was very cardboard, because I enjoyed all of Julie’s very stereotypical and ignorant accusations!

Stand out stuff for me:

Ramsey Street Olympics

Joe throwing Amber out of the house

Harold goes missing episodes, including especially the last scene of Harold's disappearance, as Madge talks about who she thinks Harold was, ending with her sobbing hysterically in the caravan.

Debbie telling Helen and Phil how Julie killed herself (it could swing either way, Julie could have just lost balance, or she chose to just let her self fall, and I believe she killed herself) - I think it was acted superbly by Marnie Reece-Wilmore as Debbie.

The Waterhole explosion aftermath

97 season finale, so well written and directed

'Ben Lives'

Martin's departure

Dee and Toadie's wedding stuff/Dee's disappearance

The cottage fire is great, as is Julie's last episode (I hope it is that one) I did have it on tape but cant find it. I actually found the 2001 season finale really boring, should be a good DVD set though.

I can't wait for the set to arrive. It's been so long since I've seen things like the Waterhole explosion and the 97 finale is one of the best stunts the show's ever done. A rare occasion when it didn't look like it was put together by school children.

I'm pretty sure it is Julie's last episode. Helen convinces her to go to the hotel to patch up with Phil and he basically tells her to f off. Then the next morning Cheryl finds her body in true camp fashion.

Oh that’s good, I had that on video, or still do but can’t find it. I remember kinda wishing Julie and Helen's final scene together to be a bit better than it was, but hey that’s typical of life, obviously no one knew what would happen...still, from a viewers point of view..

Julie's exit was fantastic though, the build up much better than the final episode, Julie Mullins played the character as if she was in a state of mind to commit suicide, so that the writers could go with that, and I guess they kinda did, I think Marnie Reece played Debbie as if she had just witnessed her mothers suicide too, everyone else just presumed it was accidental, or at least didn’t want to face the fact that she had done it on purpose!

Got it the other day and managed to (re)watch most of it which brought back a lot of memories. Just a few random observations:

1) The 80s weren't all that. At all.

2) Jackie Woodburne has lost a lot of weight over the past few years.

3) Liljana was amazing.

4) The 98 premiere was an even better episode than the 97 finale and Ben's car crash was probably the best stunt the show's ever done. Ruth's performance too was really really good.

5) I'd forgotten just how sad Dee's death was and how well the cast all worked together at that time. Stunt aside it was a great set of episodes. I also thought Libby sleeping with Taj was a really interesting and bold story choice. Also that era had the best teen group in a long while with Taj/Nina/Jack/Lori and then Sky/Boyd/Serena. They had a maturity that Rachel/Zeke/Ringo and co are lacking.

6) Ian Rawlings isn't a good actor and is definitely the weakest link in Julie's death story.

Archived