New Neighbours DVD coming soon

Guest jamie232

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another piece of foreshadowing - Toadie's first line about Steph was that she was pretty cute. That might not have been deliberate, eight years in advance is unlikely.

I think that was more foreshadowing the developing crush he had on her in 2000 which led to the conflict he had with Lance over who was going to win her affections.

Oh, I didn't know about that.

The 1992 Season Finale Cliffhanger was NOT well made. Hannah trips over a raise in the carpet of maybe a centimetre, twists her ankle, and, as they get up intending to leave, they look through a doorway and see a fire which has advanced way too fast. Now, I forget which doorway they saw the fire through, but if it was the one they'd just come through, how could they not have seen any evidence of it on the way in? And if it was the other one, why didn't they try and escape through the first one, which the fire had not had time to touch? I wasn't exactly impressed with some of the acting either, namely Lochie Daddo's reaction to Hope and Rebecca Ritter's screaming. With the way they did that story, I think Cameron's story would have been better as the final cliffhanger. Nothing on 1997 or 2004.

• 4 weeks later...

After getting through Volume 2, my comments:

* 1992 Season Finale and the 1993 season premiere: garbage: Rebecca Ritters did not play hysterical well and the device of her being tripped over a slightly raised section of carpet and twisting her ankle was poorly done. Cameron's scene over the elevator shaft was way better.

* 1999 Season Finale, 2000 Season premiere: Fantastic, but Drew and Lolly being still in the fire would have been better.

* 2004 Season Finale, 2005 Season premiere: Just as good as I remembered them.

* The penultimate episode of 1999 and the first episode 0f 2004: at least they had enough to do with the actual at the time, unlike episode 4500 on Volume 1 which was badly tacked on to Dee's death storyline, but they weren't iconic. They could have made better choices, like church fire in episode 4000 and one either before or after it.

* Charlene on beach in bikini: mildly entertaining but pretty pointless. Otherwise, they tracked Scott and Charlene's relationship pretty well, but Scott kissing Jane would have been good.

* Episode 400: Cheesy but nevertheless entertaining.

* Episode 2000: Even better than episode 1000, and I was shocked by some of the language (rape, bitch) which I'm sure hasn't been used lately.

* The Murder Mystery Party: Terrific, for the discovery of the body, Julie Mullin's performance and some of Rick's lines.

* Cheryl's death: Riveting at the end, but without the actual death and Karl's reaction it wasn't as good as it could have been.

* Harold's return: Great, but another episode to resolve the mystery of how Harold survived might have helped.

* 2000 Season finale and 2001 season premiere: Good variety of cliffhangers, but weaker than a lot of others.

I really wish they had included the episode before the murder mystery party, as that was just as iconic, in fact a lot more happened. It focused on Pam and Doug’s departure and Julie having a nervous breakdown, including Pam having to physically restrain Julie in the midst of crying whilst smashing Helen’s expensive Champaign glasses all over the Robinson’s kitchen floor. The episode ends with Pam and Doug’s final scene, and then the cliff-hanger scene which was the Helen and Julie argument over Julie’s disregard of her feelings about smashing the glasses, and Julie’s overall mental state.

Anyway, the episodes were good. I totally admit I think the cottage fire stuff was so cringe worthy at times, I definitely didn’t remember it being like that.

Cheryl’s ‘death’ was just as crap as I remembered it, it was shot all wrong imo. It was a shame to see how frail Anne Haddy had become in the space of just 12-14 months, you don’t see it until you watch episodes like that back to back.

Overall I think all of the episodes basically just covered the general feel and different direction the show has taken over the years, kinda like covering all the different Neighbours ‘eras’, so in that sense it was great!

Oh, one other thing. Anyone else annoyed by the episode list referring to the car crash episode as "Charlene, Scott and Paul's car crash when it it was actually Mike in the car, not Charlene. Other than that, the car crash was one of the better ones but the stunt was a bit over the top - a pram flips them over?!

Archived