Will's departure

Guest Formerly Known as FKAJ

Is anyone else sickened by the blatant character assassination that they had to put Will through to get Oliver to replace him? Yes he was a liar and apparently a womanizing cad, but I refuse to believe that he didn't love Carmella. And he was always a nice guy: not just when he supported Carmella after Teresa gave her the burns, but when he stopped Rex from giving Janae alcohol, or when he stood up to Paul after he used his vote to sack Ned. And his lies were nowhere near as bad as Frazer's lies to Rosie. Yes, Sebastian should have told Carmella about his past sooner, and yes, they needed to write him out when Christian left early, but they could have written a better departure, one that reflected the guy we'd actually seen over the last three months.

I don't think they assassinated his character as such , i just don't think they bothered to explain what his motives were for hiding his wealth. While i think he was genuinely a good guy, i hate that they now refer to him as a fantasist, and i find it more annoying that Oliver doesn't seem all that bothered what his brother's up to or where he is, as by all accounts he's the only family he has left, surely he'd want to see him. I didn't really like him and Carmella as a couple (i've never thought she's suited any of the guys she's been paired up with) but even she moved on very quickly and was practically over him in the next episode. The problem was Will came, caused a bit of mystery then left suddenly without any of that mystery being explained ro the viewers, then they introduced Oliver but rather than actually explain what was going on we're given some poor excuse that he's done this before and that's an end to it. It jusy didn't seem like a very good ending.

I think the writers were left in the lurch when the actor decided to leave unexpectedly, so they had to come up with something pretty quickly. It's a shame as he wasn't a bad character, and definitely good eye candy. :wub: I agree with Danifan that Carmella is a difficult character to pair up, probably because her personality is constantly changing, but I did think her and Will made quite a good couple. I also liked her with Connor, but she and Oliver are terrible together. In fact I really don't get what people like about Oliver at all... :blink:

How did Will leave? I missed neighbours for about a week and all of a sudden Will was gone and there was Oliver!

I think the last we saw of him was he told Carmella in one of his hotel rooms about how he'd been living a lie and how he was rich etc. Carmella got on her moral high horse about how he's lied to her and the last we saw of him was Carmella storming out of the hotel. We were then left to assume he'd upped and left town again.

I missed Oliver coming in but a week (maybe less or so) he popped up to explain Will's behaviour (which he never really did, he just gave some line about Will doing it before to other girls) and Oliver kind of just took over from Will there.

I kind of got the impression that Will lied because he wanted people to like him for himself, not because of his money, and that Carmella got all high and mighty about it and never gave him a chance to explain. Is that wrong? I did miss quite a few of the episodes!

Archived