Lynne swaps Home and Away for York

Guest jackandmarthaforever!!

Lynne swaps Home and Away for York

Soap fans in York last Saturday may have thought they were seeing things, but in case you were wondering, that was Home and Away's Lynne McGranger doing a spot of sightseeing.

Having played Irene Roberts since 1992, she's one of the serial's longest serving veterans and is about to fly back to Australia to start work on more episodes. So, what have been her most memorable plots over the years?

"I really have had some wonderful storylines," she enthuses. "Irene was able to be a surrogate mum

for Finn, go through childbirth as a mature woman. Then there were all the things that happened with the kids, the tears the laughter and Irene's romances. She has a bit of a thing for headmasters," she laughs.

"I would have to say the storyline where she took in a young police constable and found herself getting sicker and sicker was the most memorable. Irene believed she was being poisoned, but everyone else thought she was completely losing it. Of course, as it turned out, she was being systematically poisoned by the constable."

Lynne loved the fact the plot gave her something to get her teeth into.

"Having to play that 'losing your mind' stuff was really a stretch for something like Home and Away, and for someone like Irene, who's very comfortably swanned around Summer Bay for 13 or 14 years, making people cups of tea and solving their problems.

"Sometimes you get a little too comfortable and that really jolted me out of my comfort zone. It was exhausting but exhilarating."

So what can we look forward to in the next few months?

"I don't know," she laughs. "Because I've been away for the last seven or eight weeks, four of which have been holidays and the rest panto, I have no idea what the writers have in store for me.

"I imagine there will be further dramas with Bill (Belle they've made an error), and no doubt Irene will be taking in some more waifs and strays off the street who probably won't make her life any easier."

Thanks To Yahoo News

Archived