Dan's Demise

Guest Lady Stardust

Chapter 4

(Voiceover)

“I’m starting to feel resentment but in a way I never thought possible. Leah was going to leave Dan, yet now, even after everything he’s done she just won’t leave him be! I’m starting to think she’s not the woman I thought she was. After all, it’s Dan’s fault that we could never be together again. How can she be so blind? Her priorities should be with VJ. It’s time she saw the light. I was so close to taking him away someplace safe. If only that doctor hadn’t interfered. She doesn’t know who she’s messing with.”

Dan’s hairs stood on end as he felt a presence by his side. He had been sedated because of his pain and was far too tired to open his eyes. It was probably just a nurse anyway, quietly hovering around checking him over. He didn’t want to startle her by appearing to be cautious of her presence, so he remained still.

(Voiceover)

“Looking over his pathetic body was like an invitation to help myself. There was no–one around… it would be so easy to just pull the plug and be done with it.” He smirked. “This is it… this is what I’ve been waiting for. Out of the picture. Out of sight. Out of mind. Double victory, too. Leah won’t know what’s hit her.”

He hesitated. This could land him in jail. Not that he wasn’t familiar with that already. But he was clever. He had experience. He knew how to fool the system. His hand raised, he grimaced as he felt for the monitor. Was this it?

********************************************************************************

Please read and review :)

It's up to you guys if you want me to continue... I haven't had many comments so i'm assuming people don't really like it... :unsure:

Here's the next installement, hope you enjoy it!

Chapter 5

Footsteps just outside the room made his hand shake at the monitor and he just about managed to lower it by his side before a nurse wandered in.

Barely had she uttered the words “hi there” he had slipped around the bed unit and power walked towards the door, stepping just out of sight as Dan’s eyes opened drearily.

“Hi”, he grinned, pleased to see a smiley face.

“Who was that then?” she asked.

“Who?” Dan replied, getting more and more confused by the minute.

“That handsome chap just now. He was by your side. Made a quick exit though. Maybe he’s a secret admirer…” she winked at him. Dan managed a small laugh. “Yeah righto”, he replied. “It was probably my brother Peter. It’s like he feels ashamed for our fallouts. He comes to see me but doesn’t say much. He probably had something important on the go, cop stuff” he nodded, satisfied with his conclusion.

Barely had he crossed the hallway he suddenly found himself face to face with Peter Baker.

“What were you doing in my brother’s room? Who are you?”

“Just checking up on Leah’s…what should I call him… soon to be… ex-husband?” He laughed.

“Wait a minute…” said Peter, with a look of recognition on his concerned face. “I know you… you’re…” He pointed at him, shifting from one foot to the other. “You’re one of Leah’s previous… what shall I call it…ex-problems?”

“Woah” he replied, his hands raised in an ‘I surrender’ pose. “Now that’s funny, because I thought YOU had that view of your own dear brother in there”. He grinned.

“What?” Alarmed, Peter stepped back a little.

“That’s right”, he continued, “I know about your little stunt with the Coke bottle”.

Peter put his hand to his mouth, squeezing his cheeks as he attempted to regain his posture. Letting his hands fall to his hips, he replied “And what stunt might this be?”

“C’mon, don’t play the innocent one. You drugged that Coke bottle… laced it with spirits then planted it inside his car. If I didn’t know any better, I’d say you were trying to get him caught drink–driving.”

Peter tried to conceal his anger, but he couldn’t conceal his fear. It had all gone wrong on the day, he’d not caught up with Dan in time and his brother had nearly ended up dead because of it. It had been the most stupid and careless idea. His only consolation was that he’d done it for Leah. A bead of sweat formed on his brow. “I’ve a good mind to take you to the police station right now and get you done for police harassment and stalking a police officer”. He immediately felt stupid, realising he had pretty much admitted to it. Why hadn’t he kept his cool? Why was this guy tripping him up so much?

“Now that wouldn’t be a good idea now. I know about your little love nest in the woods. Pictures of Leah everywhere. How sweet” he said mockingly. “No doubt you remember where you saw my mug shot now? If I remember rightly, you had it placed near the bin.”

Peter stood up tall in a bid to appear strong. He felt trapped. “Look, stay away from Dan and stay away from Leah. You think you’re smart but I’ve got connections. If I wanted I could have you strung up by the neck in a second. Who do you think the boss would believe, you or me? Now get out of the Bay” he said with a disgusted tone of voice, not waiting for a reply. He was headed towards Dan’s room and wasn’t planning on turning back to watch the scum leave. He had thought in doing so he would appear cool, calm and collected, but he was far from collected.

(Voiceover)

“Huh, he thinks he can pull the wool over everyone’s eyes. Not this time.” He left the hospital, flagging down a taxi as he approached the road. “Where to mate?” chirped the taxi driver. “The police station” he said, with a glazed look on his face as he lowered himself into the taxi.

********************************************************************************

Archived